Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

departedflights
Topic Author

DB Cooper - 50 Years Ago Tonight

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:22 am

It was the night before Thanksgiving.... November 24, 1971.....

Northwest Airlines flight 305, a 727-100, was en route from Portland to Seattle when a passenger identified as DB Cooper passed a note to one of the stewardesses setting off one of the greatest aviation mysteries of all times....

Aaron747

Re: DB Cooper - 50 Years Ago Tonight

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 am

Photo comment: Amazing how oily and dirty PAA engines always seemed in comparison to other US carriers of the period...

DB Cooper comment: I'm still not sure what to think after the HBO special that aired last year. There are compelling stories involving some related individuals and some that were clearly hoaxes. To me the guy who had motive and the FBI has always been kind of mum about is William J. Smith...

departedflights
Topic Author

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:02 am

Delete Delete... Incorrect Information...

UA444

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:13 am

Aaron747 wrote:
Photo comment: Amazing how oily and dirty PAA engines always seemed in comparison to other US carriers of the period...

DB Cooper comment: I'm still not sure what to think after the HBO special that aired last year. There are compelling stories involving some related individuals and some that were clearly hoaxes. To me the guy who had motive and the FBI has always been kind of mum about is William J. Smith...

Link to this HBO special?

Aaron747

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:23 am

UA444 wrote:
Aaron747 wrote:

Link to this HBO special?

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_my ... _db_cooper

DBCooper

Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:37 am

Always enjoy the annual post on one of my favorite topics!

-DBC

DaCubbyBearBar

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:29 pm

I wonder if he will ever come forward?

aaden

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:51 pm

Who is everyones pick for who he is?

RyanairGuru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:48 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

He is likely dead by now. He was estimated to be mid-forties at the time of the hijacking, so would be mid-nineties today.

It is worth remembering that he didn’t appear to be a proficient paratrooper, and the FBI reasoned he likely died during the fall despite never finding physical evidence.

JannEejit

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:13 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

He is likely dead by now. He was estimated to be mid-forties at the time of the hijacking, so would be mid-nineties today.

It is worth remembering that he didn’t appear to be a proficient paratrooper, and the FBI reasoned he likely died during the fall despite never finding physical evidence.

Didn't a kid find a load of soiled bank notes in the suspected jump/landing area around 1980 ?

ltbewr

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:50 pm

Two results from this hijacking/escape were changes so built-in air stairs on planes could never be opened in flight and along with the numerous hijackings to Cuba by armed persons the first passenger and carry on baggage metal screenings on flights out of USA airports.

Clipper73

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:10 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

I agree he has probably passed on by now but I think he was better prepared than people give him credit for. But as public as this event was it sure would have made it hard for him to spend that money.

Newark727

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:27 pm

DBCooper wrote:
Always enjoy the annual post on one of my favorite topics!

-DBC

He was hiding in plain sight all along! :o

robleroy121721

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:22 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Probably broke Mach 1.0 during the fall and disintegrated :duck: :lol:

cedarjet

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:34 pm

I was told by a shadowy character working in the scrapyards of Tucson that DB was elite special forces on a dare. That’s a good fit with what happened and explains why the money was never spent

TWA772LR

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:12 pm

cedarjet wrote:
I was told by a shadowy character working in the scrapyards of Tucson that DB was elite special forces on a dare. That’s a good fit with what happened and explains why the money was never spent

Total BS. We all know it was Loki on a dare from Thor. Confirmed by Disney+!

DBCoop3r

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:20 pm

Nothing to see here.

737MAX7

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:44 pm

DBCoop3r wrote:
Nothing to see here.

Well played :lol: :lol: :lol:

highflier92660

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:20 pm

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/ob ... -hill-home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Master_Outlaw

Of all those suspected in the hijacking, Robert W. Rackstraw, who had Army parachute training during Vietnam and some flight training, also possessed an extensive criminal record that followed him to the grave. At one point he was charged with murder, fled to Iran in the days before the Iranian Revolution and was later arrested in a hanger at the Fullerton airport in Orange County, repainting a stolen aircraft. He was even the subject of a History Channel special in 2016. I recall filmmaker Thomas Colbert was on the late night radio show Coast To Coast Am with George Noory, expressing his frustration that despite a mountain of evidence, the FBI refused to reopen the case.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Fri Nov 26, 2021 4:39 pm

To me, the greatest mystery is how that small portion of money - and ONLY that small portion of money - was found embedded in the bank of the river in 1980. Why the h*** would anyone bury a small portion of the marked bills if he had survived the jump? And why bury it in the bank of an ever-changing river?

My favorite theory (and probably the wildest of all time) is that "Cooper" didn't jump - he threw everything out the back, then hid in the bathroom. Once the plane had landed, and the flight crew was removed, Cooper stepped out of his hiding place (theorized as one of the lavatories), and blended in with the agents, getting away but without the money.

Wildly improbable; however, not completely unprovable.

There's nothing the world loves more than a mystery!

Clipper73

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:03 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
To me, the greatest mystery is how that small portion of money - and ONLY that small portion of money - was found embedded in the bank of the river in 1980. Why the h*** would anyone bury a small portion of the marked bills if he had survived the jump? And why bury it in the bank of an ever-changing river?

My favorite theory (and probably the wildest of all time) is that "Cooper" didn't jump - he threw everything out the back, then hid in the bathroom. Once the plane had landed, and the flight crew was removed, Cooper stepped out of his hiding place (theorized as one of the lavatories), and blended in with the agents, getting away but without the money.

Wildly improbable; however, not completely unprovable.

There's nothing the world loves more than a mystery!

My thought is that if he died the parachute was a big enough item to have been found at some point. If he has perished the parachute surely would have remained tangled in the trees long enough to have been sighted. Erosion probably buried the money in the river bank perhaps when he jumped the money actually fell in the river thus being unretrievable by him.

TriJets

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:31 pm

I firmly believe that Cooper survived the jump. For starters, experts stated that the conditions that Cooper jumped into were no worse than many WWII aircrews jumped into and survived. For Cooper to have had such a meticulous plan (flaps 15 degrees, certain airspeed, chose a 727 due to the ability of the rear door to be opened during flight, etc) he surely would have made sure that he knew how to use a parachute. Finally, a body, two chutes, and $200k in cash likely wouldn't have gone unnoticed with the massive search effort that was launched.

I don't believe that we'll ever know who Cooper actually was, as other posters have alluded to the fact that he would be nearing 100 today if still alive. Just another mystery in a long saga of stories that this industry has given rise to.

F27500

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:22 pm

DaCubbyBearBar wrote:

Nah .. i bet a bear ate him as soon as he landed in the woods.

GZM1

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:55 am

TriJets wrote:
I firmly believe that Cooper survived the jump. For starters, experts stated that the conditions that Cooper jumped into were no worse than many WWII aircrews jumped into and survived. Finally, a body, two chutes, and $200k in cash likely wouldn't have gone unnoticed with the massive search effort that was launched.

I am afraid that the discovery of banknotes near the river is a bad sign. If he ditched instead of landed did he have any chance of surviving? I mean getting rid of his parachute, heavy clothes and all. Were they trained for something like that?

Clipper73

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 pm

TriJets wrote:
I firmly believe that Cooper survived the jump. For starters, experts stated that the conditions that Cooper jumped into were no worse than many WWII aircrews jumped into and survived. For Cooper to have had such a meticulous plan (flaps 15 degrees, certain airspeed, chose a 727 due to the ability of the rear door to be opened during flight, etc) he surely would have made sure that he knew how to use a parachute. Finally, a body, two chutes, and $200k in cash likely wouldn't have gone unnoticed with the massive search effort that was launched.

I don't believe that we'll ever know who Cooper actually was, as other posters have alluded to the fact that he would be nearing 100 today if still alive. Just another mystery in a long saga of stories that this industry has given rise to.

I agree 100% his plan was far too meticulous for him to have failed. The question for me is how could he have used the money with the serial numbers being recorded and the high visibility of the case.

Boeing757100

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:09 pm

Here's a pretty decent video on the Norjack case, however the cussing and general tone is quite unprofessional, so be advised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHSehKtDyoI

Aaron747

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:25 pm

GZM1 wrote:
TriJets wrote:
I firmly believe that Cooper survived the jump. For starters, experts stated that the conditions that Cooper jumped into were no worse than many WWII aircrews jumped into and survived. Finally, a body, two chutes, and $200k in cash likely wouldn't have gone unnoticed with the massive search effort that was launched.

I am afraid that the discovery of banknotes near the river is a bad sign. If he ditched instead of landed did he have any chance of surviving? I mean getting rid of his parachute, heavy clothes and all. Were they trained for something like that?

He may have been if he was one of the most likely suspects. William J. Smith:

https://dbcooperhijack.com/

B764er

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:01 pm

Wow, the Cooper sketch is an erie image of Smith, right down to his mouth and eyes.

B764er

Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:02 pm

Guess "hiding in plain sight" is always possible.

TriJets

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Clipper73 wrote:
TriJets wrote:

I agree 100% his plan was far too meticulous for him to have failed. The question for me is how could he have used the money with the serial numbers being recorded and the high visibility of the case.

Never thought about that part. Hmm.

TriJets

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:09 pm

GZM1 wrote:
TriJets wrote:

If he landed in the river at that time of year he would have been very bad off and IMO would not have survived. However, my question is why did they only find a few thousand dollars of the $200k he leapt out with?

IWMBH

Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:30 pm

I think this Youtube video gives the best description of the whole DB Cooper story:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUjuwhQPKs&t=2s

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos