Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cirrusdragoon
Topic Author

Lufthansa to launch buy on board for long haul

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:07 am

Passengers in economy and premium economy cabins already receive a main meal and drinks free-of-charge. As of December 01, passengers will be given the option of purchasing additional snacks and spirits as part of the carrier’s Onboard Delights menu. The service will initially be rolled out across 37 long-haul routes to North America, South America, Asia and South Africa at the start of next month, and will then be introduced to all intercontinental flights in spring 2022.

The airline is quoted: “Especially between meals, guests’ wishes are very individual – Lufthansa is meeting this demand now with a wider selection”

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... l-flights/

myki

Re: Lufthansa to launch buy on board for long haul

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 am

That went well and lasted only a matter of weeks on Etihad ...

PM

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:56 am

Various airlines have tried this over the years and it has always gone badly. It just cheapens the whole experience. And can they really raise enough $$$ to make it worthwhile?

Terrible idea.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:57 am

They fiddle around quite a bit with their catering lastly abandoning many of their own longtime standards. Not sure if the savings compensate for the effects on reputation? Look at KLM for comparison, some free food and drinks even in Economy Class on short flights. I think this is clearly the way to go for legacy airlines with legacy pricing. If you are Wizz or Ryanair with bare bone ticke prices it might be another story.

To me it looks like pay for food is just step 1 to abandon food all together.

PhilipBass

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:24 am

With contactless/swipe payment likely to become pervasive in the future it wouldn't be so bad but the world isn't there yet and certainly not at FL410 intercontinental with no network connectivity.
Alcohol would be the big money spinner in the skies.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:34 am

Which can be a pain for fellow passengers as certain people never stop drinking on board.

PhilipBass

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:38 am

There is only so much sandwiches or cake or even pringles you can consume before being sated. A young party(or not so young) of passengers can consume immense amounts of alcohol.
The problem with Alcohol(like Crack Cocaine) is that it is very "moreish".
Vomit Comet here we come.
Last edited by PhilipBass on Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

eurotrader85

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:43 am

5* airline :lol: :lol: :lol: What always amuses me is airlines get their overpaid PR agencies to say the same thing 'customers prefer more choice' etc BS, which no one believes for a second before they give up the charade. There is no doubt that the LH group can afford to give its paying customers a Gin & Tonic etc as part of the ticket for what calls itself a full-service airline.

IDISA

Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:48 am

Not a good idea. Imagine a bunch of pax going out of control and start drinking heavily. For me, that's the worst scenario as a passenger on a plane. I can't stand that behavior on a 2-3 hours flight, imagine on 11/12 hours, that would become a nightmare. Moreover it may become quite uncomfortable for flight attendant to stop every row and deal with hundreds of pax asking for booze..

VolvoBus

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:02 am

I must be misreading the article. If LH are going to start charging for spirits (whisky,gin,vodka etc.), I don't see why that will increase consumption. If beer is to remain free, if it becomes necessary, the flight could have 'run out' ,thus cutting off any drunks.

musapapaya

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:08 am

The usual catering around the main meals remain inclusive with the ticket price.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:22 am

Does this mean that no other food can be brought onboard anymore? Like home made sandwiches or similar?

oldannyboy

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:55 am

Bad idea. I imagine that main meals will be reduced in size and composition.

NLDru

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:12 pm

Noshow wrote:
They fiddle around quite a bit with their catering lastly abandoning many of their own longtime standards. Not sure if the savings compensate for the effects on reputation? Look at KLM for comparison, some free food and drinks even in Economy Class on short flights.

Even during sleeping hours, KLM also offers 'free' cans of soft drinks, juices and biscuits, and chips in the kitchen area. Any economy passenger can grab these 'for free'.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:17 pm

It's great to see standards being kept high even during these times.

Lukas757

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:20 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
I must be misreading the article. If LH are going to start charging for spirits (whisky,gin,vodka etc.), I don't see why that will increase consumption.

Agree. In any case, it’s up to the FA to decide to serve you more alcohol if you’re getting tipsy. If they have the feeling that you had enough, they will cut you off.
They usually won’t tell you straight away, but will take more time to serve the next round.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:41 pm

Typically they get some share of the drinks revenue and have no interest in interfering with their business. Real heavy drinkers will already be intoxicated when boarding and just top off their alcohol level in flight.

airbazar

Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:21 pm

The Lufthansa experience has long been downgraded, even before the Pandemic they were bad and yet they have some of the highest TATL fares you can find because of the protectionism they receive at their FRA and MUC airports. Despite being a UA FF I avoid LH like the plague, choosing instead to fly TAP or UA whenever possible or any other non *A carrier as I'm doing next month when I fly BA from the U.S. to Austria.

konrad

Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:10 pm

The ***** five-star airline is a miserable joke these days. A mini bottle of water is all you get from LH nowadays on European flights.

vfw614

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:33 pm

The usual catering around the main meals remain inclusive with the ticket price.

That remains to be seen. I cannot remember a single "innovation" by Lufthansa that was in effect not taking away something from the customer that was previously included.

So I would not be surprised if the free meal service will mean less food and drink service between meals just water in order to encourage BOB purchases (of course, as per Lufthansa propaganda, all only because customers have been begging for the change...)

IADFCO

Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:57 pm

The race to the bottom continues.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:02 pm

They will learn a lesson or two when their passengers switch to other carriers. Their former glory frequent flier program doesn't attract as many people as in the old days as miles to earn were cut and people did not fly enough due to covid. People are free to move. Good times for competitors.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:04 pm

So much for Lufthansa always trying to pass itself off as a "premium" carrier. This never works.

Noshow

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:07 pm

Try to fly Swiss. Same group but way better.

AaronPGH

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:20 pm

I have never understood why some of friends drone on and one about how good of an airline LH is. I think they must be clinging to some nostalgic experience from decades ago. All of my experiences in the last five years have been worse than any of the US3, borderline LCC.

DABYT

Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:28 pm

konrad wrote:
The ***** five-star airline is a miserable joke these days. A mini bottle of water is all you get from LH nowadays on European flights.

You forgot the mini chocolate :lol:

RvA

Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:23 pm

It says this is in addition to the standard meal. Not sure what the fuss is about here then?

kriskarch

Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:23 pm

LH in nowhere near 5*. Took 2 flights with them last week, one of them was 3h30min and even then I had to pay for tea / coffee. I won't be surprised if the next step is charging for main meals on long haul, as "passengers prefere better selection, so we have to charge".
But I quite like their premium on long hauls. Mainly because of seats, but anyway :)

MillwallSean

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Hmm I look forward to seeing this on the Bangkok Flights etc.
Will be a much more interesting experience. I once flew a now defunct charter airline from Europe to Phuket. Was carnage. People drank heaps and the airline must have made a right mint on the onboard sales. Those cans were flying...

To be honest I don't mind the idea.
One meal included plus breakfast, anything else, just press the call button and a FA will appear with the goods in no time. Swipe the card and smile and order more. Perfect when you fly with kids too. a small distraction on a long-haul flight helps a lot. If it makes the airline a few extra bobs then its a good deal for all involved.

Vicenza

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:23 pm

kriskarch wrote:
LH in nowhere near 5*. Took 2 flights with them last week, one of them was 3h30min and even then I had to pay for tea / coffee. I won't be surprised if the next step is charging for main meals on long haul, as "passengers prefere better selection, so we have to charge".
But I quite like their premium on long hauls. Mainly because of seats, but anyway :)

Out of curiosity, why is it somehow such an issue to pay for a cup of tea or coffee? If you want one, simply buy it and is entirely one's choice. I simply don't understand the expectation of some that everything should be free, and the 'shock' of actually being asked to having to put one's hands in their pockets for something.

hoons90

Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:37 pm

I admire Lufthansa from an aviation geek's perspective (747s and A340s!) but agree that they don't deserve to be rated 5 stars for their service. I don't find their service bad per se, but there are other airlines, even in Europe (such as TAP) that far exceed Lufthansa in terms of service.

zkncj

Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:42 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
PM wrote:
Various airlines have tried this over the years and it has always gone badly. It just cheapens the whole experience. And can they really raise enough $$$ to make it worthwhile?

Terrible idea.

NZ does (well pre covid) on AKL-DPS/HNL services, which are around 10 hours and seemed to do pretty well.

Although they sell these routes un bundled, eg Seat Only Y fares.

They already have the system from BYO on short haul international via the IFE. So that probably does help why it does work for them.

F27500

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:37 am

All this means is that FAs will hide out in the galleys with the curtains snapped shut if they know theyll have to tell pax suddenly that whatever they order outside normal "free" hours are gonna be a charge .. and need to figure out and use a credit card machine. It's always hilarious watching FAs learn how to use those things ...

ASFlyer

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:18 am

IDISA wrote:
Not a good idea. Imagine a bunch of pax going out of control and start drinking heavily. For me, that's the worst scenario as a passenger on a plane. I can't stand that behavior on a 2-3 hours flight, imagine on 11/12 hours, that would become a nightmare. Moreover it may become quite uncomfortable for flight attendant to stop every row and deal with hundreds of pax asking for booze..

this response is so ridiculous. So, basically, you're saying the current offering of free booze is somehow deterring people from getting drunk and out of control on flights but if they start selling alcohol people will lose all self control and become drunken messes? Because paying for it makes it somehow more attractive? And Flight Attendants won't exercise their authority to cut someone off because more money is worth all the mess of a drunk passenger? And hundreds of people are going to slow the service down because hundreds of people will be opening up their wallets to buy tons of booze. :roll: Talk about drama

ASFlyer

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:20 am

F27500 wrote:
All this means is that FAs will hide out in the galleys with the curtains snapped shut if they know theyll have to tell pax suddenly that whatever they order outside normal "free" hours are gonna be a charge .. and need to figure out and use a credit card machine. It's always hilarious watching FAs learn how to use those things ...

Your posts about Flight Attendants are always filled with so much disdain. Did a FA hurt you somehow? Show us on the doll where they hurt you. :roll:

ahj2000

Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:07 am

Five star my ass.
What a joke—not even the American carriers charge for a bit on TATLs.

IDISA

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:45 am

[quote="Talk about drama[/quote]

Time will tell.

kriskarch

Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:04 am

Vicenza wrote:
kriskarch wrote:

Out of curiosity, why is it somehow such an issue to pay for a cup of tea or coffee? If you want one, simply buy it and is entirely one's choice. I simply don't understand the expectation of some that everything should be free, and the 'shock' of actually being asked to having to put one's hands in their pockets for something.

Just to follow your way of thinking - why running those airline rankings like Skytrax and then using their ratings to promote your airline as a 5-star one?
I don't mind paying for a cup of tea or coffee, but as aviation enthusiast, I love flying different airlines and comparing them. And if you promote your airline as a premium, 5 star airline, what do you do? You create people's expectations that you are going to give something more than the others.

If I have to pay extra for literally everything, I will choose 4-times cheaper ticket with Ryanair if the only thing I'm carring about is getting from point A to point B.

IADFCO

Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:11 pm

Vicenza wrote:

You seem to forget that to get on board one has to pay for a ticket. So, the expectation is not that "everything should be free", but rather that everything (or at least as much as possible) should be included in the ticket price. If everything is extra, as others have pointed out, then we are talking about a LCC/ULCC.

alan3

Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:57 pm

Vicenza wrote:

If you're taking a 1-hour intra-Europe flight with major LCC competition, I can imagine you won't expect much.. But if you are spending THOUSANDS on long haul connection through a European hub...your "hands" were already "in your pocket". Is it really too much to ask to expect some liquid in a cup for that fare on a 20 hour journey?

If not, and all an airline fare should pay for is your bum in a seat, then aren't all airlines just LCC's?

Whether you should get a Gin & Tonic for your fare is maybe another story, but when LH spends most of its marketing bragging about being one of the world's few 5 Star airlines for its "travel comfort and service quality", shouldn't that come with some reasonable expectations?

F27500

Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:30 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
F27500 wrote:

Your posts about Flight Attendants are always filled with so much disdain. Did a FA hurt you somehow? Show us on the doll where they hurt you. :roll:

I'm flattered you're following me! Omg how special!

And i give my opinions on other subjects too, just like we all do . not just FAs (i was one years and years ago myself). Just observations based on things i've seen myself, as i fly often and things I've seen discussed here.

debonair

Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:51 pm

RvA wrote:
It says this is in addition to the standard meal. Not sure what the fuss is about here then?

LH started with a standard meal & alcoholic drinks incl., snacks and arrival meal. Now, in their latest round, only the standard meal is left incl. non-alcoholic drinks, B-o-B and arrival "light" refreshment... :thumbsdown: Very poor standards for a 5* airline!

DocLightning

Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:15 pm

In Premium Economy?. Did they miss the word "Premium?"

If you're going to charge for a premium product, then you don't do this.