Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

AA1182 arrives at MIA from GUA with stowaway

Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:42 pm

This morning AA1182 arrived at MIA from GUA with a stowaway passenger who had hitched a ride in the landing gear. The stowaway a male, survived the 2 hour and 11 minute flight in the 737 wheelwell, and was discovered by the ground crew alive but somewhat disoriented.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.miamih ... 62897.html

a320fan

Re: AA1182 arrives at MIA from GUA with stowaway

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:02 am

How does one survive 2 hours in the wheel well of a 737 when it’s not pressurised, and I imagine has very limited room once the wheels come up.

JohanTally

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:52 am

a320fan wrote:
    How does one survive 2 hours in the wheel well of a 737 when it’s not pressurised, and I imagine has very limited room once the wheels come up.

It doesn't even have gear doors to remotely shield him from the cold not to mention this flight was at FL330 for 90 minutes with almost no oxygen. He's lucky it didn't go to the planned FL370. Truly amazing anyone could survive this.

Boof02671

Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:57 am

And how did. CBP miss him?

Even the article says CBO didn’t find him upon their inspection.

ltbewr

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:08 am

Sadly conditions for some in their home countries are so bad they will risk their lives to escape in the most dangerous ways. As I and others have said about other 'stowaways', there was terrible security at origin airport. That needs to be seriously looked at as well as possible actions against the country, who ever manages security at that airport as well changes in procedures and fines as to AA. That he survived is amazing, but he could have brain damage or other significant physical affects. Of course many in the USA who have strong views as to illegal immigration want him once medically cleared to be shipped back to his home country to punish him but to deter others from such illegal and dangerous acts.

dfwjim1

Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:39 am

ltbewr wrote:
    Sadly conditions for some in their home countries are so bad they will risk their lives to escape in the most dangerous ways. As I and others have said about other 'stowaways', there was terrible security at origin airport. That needs to be seriously looked at as well as possible actions against the country, who ever manages security at that airport as well changes in procedures and fines as to AA. That he survived is amazing, but he could have brain damage or other significant physical affects. Of course many in the USA who have strong views as to illegal immigration want him once medically cleared to be shipped back to his home country to punish him but to deter others from such illegal and dangerous acts.

Yes, I would be curious as to whether he would allowed to stay in the United States.

highflier92660

Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:34 pm

JohanTally wrote:
      a320fan wrote:

It doesn't even have gear doors to remotely shield him from the cold not to mention this flight was at FL330 for 90 minutes with almost no oxygen. He's lucky it didn't go to the planned FL370. Truly amazing anyone could survive this.

People have climbed Mt. Everest (29,031') without supplemental oxygen, but the prolonged cold of around minus 55 degrees Fahrenheit for two-hours almost defies belief. From the photos he looks none the worse for wear. Simply incredible.

BBDFlyer

Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:47 pm

All the hydraulics probably provided just enough heat to prevent him from freezing to death.

Astronage

Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:47 pm

For reference, this is what the interior of a 737 wheel well looks like in motion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ9YlC5Tfm0
      The hydraulics line would have provided some warmth and it doesn't look like there is much to worry about regarding the air stream even without the well being completely covered.

aviators99

Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:58 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
      JohanTally wrote:
        a320fan wrote:

People have climbed Mt. Everest (29,031') without supplemental oxygen, but the prolonged cold of around minus 55 degrees Fahrenheit for two-hours almost defies belief. From the photos he looks none the worse for wear. Simply incredible.

People who climb everest without supplemental oxygen 1) Train for years, 2) Do it at an average rate of a handful of feet per minute as opposed to 2,000fpm, allowing *some* acclimation, 3) Can spend no more than 30 minutes at the summit without dying of oxygen starvation, even with 1) and 2). I have no idea how this person survived.

jetmatt777

Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:37 pm

They sell those portable, disposable supplement oxygen bottles on Amazon and at most sporting goods stores. I am not sure how much you can get out of them, but perhaps if he was diligent in rationing them and lucky a handful of bottles might get him through the flight. Take a few breaths of it when getting dizzy and wait it out until necessary to take a few more breaths?

I am puzzled….

FlyingElvii

Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:10 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
        They sell those portable, disposable supplement oxygen bottles on Amazon and at most sporting goods stores. I am not sure how much you can get out of them, but perhaps if he was diligent in rationing them and lucky a handful of bottles might get him through the flight. Take a few breaths of it when getting dizzy and wait it out until necessary to take a few more breaths?

I am puzzled….

I use them as backup oxygen in my small plane, they weigh nothing, and are around $12 each on Amazon. The large can will give you about 25-30 good hits, maybe more. More than enough to clear my head and buy enough time to get down to a lower altitude without stressing the airframe, should I have an issue, or help to settle someone’s queasy stomach.

I checked the upper altitude temps over Cuba during that time. It was unusually warm for the lower altitudes, -15 or so at 30k. Not that unusual though in the Carib. Add some residual heat from the tire and systems, it would definitely be survivable for a short period.

This guy is either a frikken genius, or just amazingly lucky.

dennypayne

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:11 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
        jetmatt777 wrote:
        They sell those portable, disposable supplement oxygen bottles on Amazon and at most sporting goods stores.

I use them as backup oxygen in my small plane, they weigh nothing, and are around $12 each on Amazon.

I’m thinking that someone desperate enough to try stowing away in an aircraft wheel well to escape their country probably doesn’t have access to Amazon or the $12 either.

FlyingElvii wrote:

I’m going with the latter.

jetmatt777

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:21 am

dennypayne wrote:
        FlyingElvii wrote:
        jetmatt777 wrote:
        They sell those portable, disposable supplement oxygen bottles on Amazon and at most sporting goods stores.

I use them as backup oxygen in my small plane, they weigh nothing, and are around $12 each on Amazon.

I’m thinking that someone desperate enough to try stowing away in an aircraft wheel well to escape their country probably doesn’t have access to Amazon or the $12 either.

FlyingElvii wrote:

I’m going with the latter.

Probably not. But my point was more hypothetical speculation than anything. Could those work? How many would one need.

But, don’t discount the fact that someone who will climb fences to sneak onto an airplane may also be capable of shoplifting.

gunsontheroof

Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:27 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
        jetmatt777 wrote:

I am puzzled….

Add some residual heat from the tire and systems, it would definitely be survivable for a short period.

I'm not familiar with all the systems at work in the wheel well of a 737NG, but are there heaters equipped to keep the tires from freezing since they're exposed to the air stream? I know there are hydraulic lines running through the well and having poked my head into 737 gear wells a few times in display aircraft, it does look like there is enough room for someone to fit between the wheels, albeit, not comfortably.

Pretty incredible story, though I doubt that his risk will pay off, unfortunately...

trent768

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:16 am

Purely speaking from a security/safety perspective, I think this should help:
        1. A mandatory aircraft's orifices walk-around check by the pilots right before push back.
        2. Only sending aircraft equipped with wheel well cover and seal the cover with some sort of tamper-free tape carried onboard.

Not the most practical and a bit expensive, but maybe flights to vulnerable areas should carries security guards from the US to guard the plane. As someone from a used-to-be developing country, I know how easy it was to bribe the airport staff back then.

jetmatt777

Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:40 am

trent768 wrote:
        Purely speaking from a security/safety perspective, I think this should help:
        1. A mandatory aircraft's orifices walk-around check by the pilots right before push back.
        2. Only sending aircraft equipped with wheel well cover and seal the cover with some sort of tamper-free tape carried onboard.

Not the most practical and a bit expensive, but maybe flights to vulnerable areas should carries security guards from the US to guard the plane. As someone from a used-to-be developing country, I know how easy it was to bribe the airport staff back then.

That’s overkill for something that happens once every blue moon.

JetBuddy

Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:43 am

The cold helps protect the cells in the body when there is not enough oxygen. The stowaway might have fallen asleep due to lack of oxygen, but wouldn't have taken that much damage due to the cold. This is why it's possible to resuscitate people who have drowned in icy water after an hour.

pugman211

Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:25 am

Astronage wrote:
        For reference, this is what the interior of a 737 wheel well looks like in motion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZ9YlC5Tfm0
        The hydraulics line would have provided some warmth and it doesn't look like there is much to worry about regarding the air stream even without the well being completely covered.

It would be good to see a video like this on the Max 10 gear

N353SK

Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:37 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:

I am puzzled….

Any sort of O2 system that does not involve a sealed mask is generally considered to be ineffective above 25,000 feet. Good writeup here if you're curious: https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly ... n-systems/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos