Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N965UW
Topic Author

Civil Air Patrol 80th Anniversary

Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:55 pm

This could fit under Civil or Military, so mods feel free to move as needed.

Civil Air Patrol, the civilian auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, turns 80 today. On December 1, 1941 Fiorello LaGuardia signed the order creating CAP, and the rest is history.

CAP went on to serve during World War II, searching for German U-boats in coastal waters, flying border patrols, conducting search and rescue, transporting cargo, training with the military, and more. Approximately 68 CAP members lost their lives in the line of duty during the war.

Today CAP focuses on the three main areas of aerospace education, cadet programs, and emergency services. It is the world's largest operator of Cessna piston single aircraft. Personally, my membership in CAP has been a very positive experience.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/about/ ... air-patrol

OzarkD9S

Re: Civil Air Patrol 80th Anniversary

Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:30 pm

My Mom met my Dad in the CAP. Divorced, but not after getting me in the deal. Thanks CAP!

FlyingElvii

Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:29 pm

N965UW wrote:
This could fit under Civil or Military, so mods feel free to move as needed.

Civil Air Patrol, the civilian auxiliary of the U.S. Air Force, turns 80 today. On December 1, 1941 Fiorello LaGuardia signed the order creating CAP, and the rest is history.

CAP went on to serve during World War II, searching for German U-boats in coastal waters, flying border patrols, conducting search and rescue, transporting cargo, training with the military, and more. Approximately 68 CAP members lost their lives in the line of duty during the war.

Today CAP focuses on the three main areas of aerospace education, cadet programs, and emergency services. It is the world's largest operator of Cessna piston single aircraft. Personally, my membership in CAP has been a very positive experience.

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/about/ ... air-patrol

A lot of people in Aviation have a lot of differing opinions on CAP, but for me, it is what kept a troubled kid on a straight path, at the time it was needed most. Those experiences have guided much of the rest of my life.

sunking737

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:02 am

I have been very proud to be a member, and leader.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:05 pm

I tried Boy Scouts, OK, but really didn't fit all that well. Best friend introduced me to CAP. Stayed until I aged out. We still stay in contact. I would really enjoy a big meet up of all those kids from the mid 50s. Great organization.