Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IFlyTWA
Topic Author

20 years without Trans World Airlines

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:39 am

Thought it would be worth mentioning that it has been 20 years to the day since the final Trans World Airlines flight, bringing an end to a very intetesting 76 year story.

Time and aviation have marched forward, but it would be nice to post some of your TWA memories and experiences in this thread.

HoosierFlyBoy

Re: 20 years without Trans World Airlines

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:36 am

I remember flying from Indianapolis to St. Louis on a 767 in 1983. Three class aircraft, I was upgraded to a deserted Business class. I sure miss TWA, but that was truly miss-use of a fine aircraft. Many,many flights on Mad Dogs.

stlgph

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:43 am

Many memories late in the game - as in the final 2 to 3 years of its existence. Moved to STL for college and in my apartment building - I was surrounded by 8 or 9 flight attendants who were constantly grabbing me for trips here and there when the loads were light.

What struck me the most was the jovial atmosphere - Lambert, while busy - was all in all a small hub, physically, compared to those in Chicago, Atlanta, Dallas, what have you. It was nothing to walk through C and D concourse and constantly be bumping into people I'd know from friends of friends who worked for the airline or just people who lived in St. Louis and you'd always break out into some type of conversation before realizing time was running short and then you'd have to run off and then get caught up in another quick conversation before realizing again that time was *really* running short. If you were in the C concourse, the alley from C2 up to C12/C9 was a constant stream of people - I don't think I can ever remember a time I was in there, even when arriving later in the evening, and not seeing it packed with people headed in some direction or another.

There was the daily carnival atmosphere at the end of the C concourse as Flight 1 was gearing up for Honolulu.

And if you knew Lambert Airport then - you remember "that" smell. It was the smell of planes and jet fuel - and if you were smelling that smell, you were at Lambert. It creeped all over the airport and was often in the air when you got out of your car at remote parking.

And then there was the constant sound of JTs in the distance - or on the flights - the sound of the JTs as you rolled up for take off.

And then there was the "Wayne's World" spot on Lindbergh Avenue where you could sit at the end of the runway and have those jets flying over you - with "that smell" and "that sound" in tow.

There was also that constant stream of landing lights coming in from the east/southeast over I-70 as they lined up on approach to the runway - it was seemingly a constant from roughly 530a until midnight or later every night - and of course, other airliners were a part of that, but it was dominantly TWA.

And then there was the experience of flying them - I don't remember ever having a bad trip on TWA or ever running into crabby crews. They were always quick to point out when flights were going to be light and everyone could just switch seats and get their own row, if possible. I remember them having a very liberal stand-by policy - you could switch flights to earlier flights or later flights the same day pretty easily if there were seats available. I often took Flight 100 connecting to IND - a short 757 flight, I remember it being fully loaded at times, often taking about a half hour or so roughly, and yet, the cabin crew made it through offering everyone something to drink in that time frame. In 1998, I went out to see Stevie Nicks a few times in concert, I was talking to a gate agent on the first trip randomly at the airport - she upgraded me to business because she is a fan - and did the same for me the next couple of trips when I came through the next few times.

Many fine memories on/with/about TWA. It was an airline with a lot of heart and even though it was 20 some years ago, it truly was a different time and a different atmosphere. You had to be there.

Acey559

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:44 am

I took my first flight on TWA back in 1997 when I was 9. MLI-STL-JAX and return all on the DC-9 except the first leg which was on the ATR. It was on the STL-JAX leg I told my parents I wanted to fly for a living, and now at 34 I have my dream job flying the 756 out of ORD. I miss TWA a lot and remember almost every detail of that day, and I'm incredibly grateful for having that passion instilled and the ability to do what I love.

DL_Mech

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:49 am

One of the things I remember about TWA is that they were always proactive about refilling drinks in First Class. Go to the lavatory and when you return to your seat, your glass is full. Today’s airlines just take your glass away.

dennypayne

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:14 am

I only got one experience on TWA - an MD-80 STL-MCI right near the end, so just over 20 years ago. It was a late evening short flight so honestly I don’t recall much good or bad about the flight itself, but I do remember being glad to have finally gotten to experience an iconic airline that I had known about since my youth but never flown on.

I have subsequently visited the TWA museum in Kansas City and definitely recommend it - it was cool to see the ‘Wings of Pride’ MD-80 there.

fly4ever78

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:39 am

I remember as a kid flying TWA from the Bay Area to St Louis to see my Grandparents every Christmas. It was always an L1011 and I was in awe of that airplane! One of my first memories of standing at the window with my Dad at SFO, (the old TWA gates there has a large glass rotunda) was also when I knew I wanted to be a pilot. During one of those flights, they let me sit in the Captain's seat and it was one of the most memorable experiences I ever had as a child.

I remember the flight crews always being super friendly (although in the mid 90's it definitely took a turn for the worse). I also remember walking through St Louis at Christmas time and being so blown away by how many planes and gates there were (as a kid).

I always had fond memories of TWA and it makes me sad that such an iconic brand was neglected and allowed to die on the vine. Lot's of mismanagement and corporate greed unfortunately took it down and sadly, the employees took the brunt of it. I still cannot believe that it has been 20 years!!!???

MavyWavyATR

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:44 am

HoosierFlyBoy wrote:
I remember flying from Indianapolis to St. Louis on a 767 in 1983. Three class aircraft, I was upgraded to a deserted Business class. I sure miss TWA, but that was truly miss-use of a fine aircraft. Many,many flights on Mad Dogs.

Flying a 767 between IND & STL. That's something unheard of today unless it's a cargo flight.

DL_Mech

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:56 am

fly4ever78 wrote:
During one of those flights, they let me sit in the Captain's seat and it was one of the most memorable experiences I ever had as a child.

I remember the flight crews always being super friendly (although in the mid 90's it definitely took a turn for the worse).

Another TWA memory that I have is during a flight delay, the pilots would go into the gate area and offer to give tours of the cockpit to any children or airplane fans. This was in the 80s, times were a lot different then.

MavyWavyATR wrote:
HoosierFlyBoy wrote:

Flying a 767 between IND & STL. That's something unheard of today unless it's a cargo flight.

That 767 replaced an L-1011 that used to fly out of IND regularly.
Last edited by DL_Mech on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:57 am

I remember very little of my 4 TWA flights (TW birds IAH-STL-SLC and back but post AA). I believe they were 717s, maybe a mad dog or 2. We went to the Olympics and couldn't nonrev as everything was full so TW/AA was the cheapest option. I was 9 at the time and remember asking a not bad looking FA if TW was really AA.

einsteinboricua

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:01 am

Never flew TWA but I remember them flying their 747-200s to San Juan all the time. During the merger, 757s were more common. Ironic that I now live in STL and could have flown direct to/from SJU if I wanted to (assuming TWA still flew the route). WN now provides weekly non stop to SJU but I could not stand 5 hours in a cramped 737 with no decent IFE or meals served.

fraspotter

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:16 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOCq_VRKBsE
I saw this interesting video posted to YouTube awhile back (probably has been posted here too at some point) of the last day of operations at TWA in 2001. SFO and STL are featured.

DL_Mech

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:19 am

einsteinboricua wrote:
Never flew TWA but I remember them flying their 747-200s to San Juan all the time. During the merger, 757s were more common. Ironic that I now live in STL and could have flown direct to/from SJU if I wanted to (assuming TWA still flew the route). WN now provides weekly non stop to SJU but I could not stand 5 hours in a cramped 737 with no decent IFE or meals served.

A video onboard a 747 departing SJU:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD7Gv3IszOU

TWA772LR

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:23 am

einsteinboricua wrote:

Was AAs SJU hub a result of the TW merger or were they always large there and went head to head with TW?

IADFCO

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:42 am

@IflyTWA, thanks for reminding us! Has it really been 20 years?!

I remember many DCA-JFK-FCO trips, with the JFK-FCO leg on TW840/841.

The DCA-JFK flight departed from what was Terminal 1 (and really the only one then). At JFK, in the famous TWA terminal building, I could immediately guess that I was close to the TW840 boarding gate because I had to go through the thick cloud of Gauloises (sp?) at the nearby gate of the TW800 flight to Paris, which departed a bit before ours. The TW800 crash was especially sad, thinking of all those times. Actually TW840 itself was involved in a hijacking and an onboard bomb, and TW841 in an accident, all in subsequent portions of the flight East of Rome.

I remember flying on 747s (-100? -200?) with the big movie screen at the front end of the economy cabin. Smoking was allowed then :yuck: :yuck: :yuck: . There was a small empty area in the back of the plane, like a row of "missing" seats, where one could stretch.

A few years ago I was in MUC on my way from FCO to IAD, and saw a plane in the historical TWA livery, which brought back so many memories.

SWADawg

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:56 am

TWA772LR wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

Was AAs SJU hub a result of the TW merger or were they always large there and went head to head with TW?

No. It was acquired via the merger between American and Trans Caribbean Airways in 1971.

struve

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 am

JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO.

Some L-1011, many 747 Classics.

3-class service. Economy, Ambassador, Royal Ambassador.

Red eye served dinner right after takeoff from LAX, and light hot bfast right before arrival.

Ambassador or Royal Ambassador also came with optional free NY Air helicopter transfer from JFK to 34th St heliport in Manhattan.

Dinner was often chateaubriand served from a in cart, hand carved. Ditto sundae cart. Good food.

Flew that route with Larry Hagaman, Joan and Edgar Rivers, Mr T, Brandon Tartikoff, so many others.

Also flew their 747 class a couple times JFK-LHR-Cairo.

Long time ago.

SkyVoice

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:34 am

I would love to read any & all stories about TWA's short-lived Atlanta hub. Anyone?

Moose135

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:05 am

My father spent nearly 40 years working for TWA, retiring in 1990. He was a mechanic at JFK, splitting time between Hangar 12 and Terminal 5. I grew up around that place, flights every summer through T5, I thought those tubes out to the gates were the neatest thing! When he was on vacation, he would go in to pick up his paycheck and would bring me along. He'd take me into the hangar to see if anything interesting was around - I still remember, as a little 10 year old kid, seeing a 747 for the first time. It was enormous, and I thought I'd never get to the top of the airstairs to go inside.

I'm sure I'm a little biased, but the folks at TWA were the best in the business. Friendly, professional, and no matter what happened, always got the job done with a smile. I'll always miss TWA.

SkyVoice

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:09 am

SkyVoice wrote:
I would love to read any & all stories about TWA's short-lived Atlanta hub. Anyone?

stlgph wrote:

Great Stuff! Thanks!
:yes:

crownvic

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:17 am

My first transcon as a passenger was a nonstop 707 PHL-SFO in 1968. The one thing that sticks in my mind were the "Dyna-fan" oval stickers on the engine of the fan jet powered 707s. Before the internet and unless you knew somebody at TWA, this name would stick in my mind puzzling me as to what it meant. Then one day, I think it was in National Geographic Magazine, TWA actually had an ad promoting their "Dyna-fan" engines on their 707s. In the end, it was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

DL_Mech

Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:53 am

crownvic wrote:
The one thing that sticks in my mind were the "Dyna-fan" oval stickers on the engine of the fan jet powered 707s. Before the internet and unless you knew somebody at TWA, this name would stick in my mind puzzling me as to what it meant. Then one day, I think it was in National Geographic Magazine, TWA actually had an ad promoting their "Dyna-fan" engines on their 707s. In the end, it was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

I never knew what it looked like in color until I saw this post:

http://www.facebook.com/JetAgeArt/posts/1864040267137587

Chuska

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:55 am

Some of my favorite memories:
The Constellations, 707's, Convair 880's, and best of all the L-1011's which were so common throughout the US.
The TWA Flight Center at JFK (now the TWA Hotel) and all the 747s going overseas every night.
LAX terminal 3 and all the L-1011's heading east every morning.
TWA's ORD hub at Concourse G which to this day hasn't changed much other than its now all American Eagle.
Flying the original coast to coast route (almost) in the 1970's on a 727-200: TW346 LAX-ABQ-AMA-ICT-ORD-LGA.
And even flying the short DC-9's through cities like Terre Haute, IN.

MIflyer12

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:11 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
fly4ever78 wrote:
During one of those flights, they let me sit in the Captain's seat and it was one of the most memorable experiences I ever had as a child.

I remember the flight crews always being super friendly (although in the mid 90's it definitely took a turn for the worse).

Another TWA memory that I have is during a flight delay, the pilots would go into the gate area and offer to give tours of the cockpit to any children or airplane fans. This was in the 80s, times were a lot different then.

If there's one word I think of when it comes to TWA people of the 80s and 90s, it's gracious. There was a generosity and kindness. I don't know how TWA hired for it, nor how they sustained it in long-troubled times. TWA staff really loved to fly. IMHO one can still find that spirit with some TWA staff at AA - just as one can pick out some origin-Piedmont employees.

TexasAirCorp

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:12 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I believe AA gained the SJU hub when they bought Eastern's South American ops in the early 90s.

OzarkD9S

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Former Ozark/TWA brat here. Too many memories.

Regarding a few comments above and a couple of unique memories:

1. Flew "Wings Of Pride" DCA-STL once.

2. IND-STL on a 767? IND at the time had far fewer nonstop flights west of the Mississippi than now. STL was a quick hop from IND with many westbound opportunities there. More direct and "less hassle" than ORD. When Ozark inaugurated STL-SAN, the flight originated in IND and there was a write-up in a local IND paper about IND hitting the "big time" with direct service to and from the West Coast. I was on the inaugural STL-SAN flight.

3. Flew a 5 engine 747 JFK-NYC. We were ferrying a spare engine to LHR. Took a delay of about an hour to attach the spare. Not bad.

4. When TWA was still flying ORD-LHR, for a season or two the 747 originated in STL. Got to fly a TWA 747 STL-ORD. Returned on a DC-9 (former Ozark).

5. Non-revved CDG-JFK in the mid-70's and coach was full so my Mother and I got put in First. Played gin rummy with a couple of FAs in the upper deck for a couple of hours. I was around 8 years old.

6. When TWA bought Ozark, I took the opportunity to non-rev something like PIA-STL-LAX-JFK-SFO-BOS-STL-PIA (not sure of the exact routing now) and got fed on every flight. In coach.

7. And finally, joined the Mile High Club on a TWA MD-80 on a SEA-ANC fligjht...sort of...I'll skip the sordid details. :rotfl:

Miss you TWA.

Ziyulu

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:29 pm

Was it my imagination, but I always thought the interior of TWA planes were not well-kept as other carriers. I remember seeing panels being taped, and emergency exit doors with cracked levers.

superjeff

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:38 pm

Many great memories of TWA from the 1960's til the end. Flew a 707-331 JFK-LAX; they had installed in flight movies, which was, although not a first in history, was probably the first in modern history. Also flew their 707's on short domestic hops, like ABQ-ORD, connecting to London, and ICT-STL and a Convair 880 from SFO to ORD in 1969. One L1011 flight (STL-LGA) in about 1981, and, over the years, many DC9's, Boeing 717's, and MD80's in the last couple of years. I have a friend who is a retired TWA flight attendant (yes, one of the ones screwed by the AA acquisition) who flew First Class European routes til the end as well. Great airline; if it wasn't for a history of medling/bad management (starting with Howard Hughes, continuing especially through the Icahn days, they might still be with us. (this is coming from somebody whose airline history includes working for Pan Am, Eastern, and Braniff, so, obviously, I'm not an expert in how to run a successful airline).

superjeff

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:41 pm

[code][/code]
Ziyulu wrote:
Was it my imagination, but I always thought the interior of TWA planes were not well-kept as other carriers. I remember seeing panels being taped, and emergency exit doors with cracked levers.

Only until Compton came in in the post-Icahn days, and renewed the fleet. Through Icahn, they had the oldest fleet in the industry, including old 727's, old DC9's, old L1011's, old 747's, and old MD80's; after the second bankruptcy (and getting rid of Icahn's Karabu deal), they were doing pretty much everything right. It was just too late.

ContinentalEWR

Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:48 pm

Many great memories of flying TWA during the 1980s as a kid. 747s, L1011s, 727s and one MD80. Flew them often to LHR, CDG, FCO, ZRH, and GVA in Europe, and in the US to ORD, MCI, MCO, JFK, LGA, LAX, and more. It was sad to watch the slow demise of this icon of aviation. Never flew on their 762. Always wanted to for some reason. Don't recall why.

visual8L

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:00 pm

Only a few memories nonrevving STLHNL as AA3001. The merger was happening but the crew and 763 were still TWA. Notable difference was major crew seniority and unbelievably warm. So much so that they would remember you months later. I also remember a crew rest policy(?) where the f/as would alternate resting in an open f/c seat. It seemed unheard of in AA culture and was the oddest experience waking up to a different f/a chilling beside you every few hours. Grateful I had that experience but sad I didn’t get more.

Worldair1

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:00 pm

being a young marine going from BNA-STL on a 727 with maybe 10 paks, STL-PHX on an L1011 maybe 40 paks, PHX-YUM on a metro liner (forgot who the carrier was) 2 paks including myself. that was in Feb. of 1987, I know it was off season, but WOW, those were empty aircraft......

jmmadrid

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:31 pm

TWA was one of the best airlines I have ever flown in my life, and definitely the second best in the US after Braniff. I don't know how Human Resources managed to hire so many nice, polite, friendly and cool cabin crews. Where did they use to find them? Current airlines, even the few that still care about their passengers, strive to hire people with those standards. I remember once I flew with my family to Madrid (on a 747!), but for some reason came back with PANAM and we all felt very disappointed. Food and service were no match.

DKNEF

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:38 pm

I remember Boarding the big Mexicana 757 via airstairs at SJC and I'd see a couple of TWA MDs sitting around next to AA MDs and 757s. Never got to fly TWA but I sure do remember them..

Nonrevhell

Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:45 pm

TWA always took care of nonrevs, even from other airlines. I loved flying them, even on a very latenight flight from Cairo to JFK on an old 767. I miss them!

tonystan

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:08 pm

My only glaring memory of TWA was around 1989 flying First Class from JFK to MCO or MIA, cant quite remember. A rather haggard FA came trundling down the aisle soon after the doors had closed shouting “Want your munchies now? If y’all dont take’m now you wont get’em in the air”!!!!

Nice airline!

Seat1F

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:20 pm

My first TWA experience was as a child when we flew DTW-STL roundtrip to visit family friends around 1966/1967. I remember being very exited to go on a plane for the first time. I also remember being served a pancake and sausage breakfast in economy for the short flight.

My second and last experience with TWA was around 1988/1989. I did an ATL-JFK-LHR roundtrip for work flying in economy. ATL-JFK was on a 727 and JFK-LHR was on a 747. TWA as a carrier was clearly in decline at that point. The aircraft were not very clean. The JFK terminal was in disrepair. I don't remember any of this TWA experience favorably.

While not my own personal experience, I do recall one other notable TWA event in the Detroit area. Sometime in the late 70's/early 80's The University of Michigan was playing in the Rose Bowl. Family friends of ours had a son that played on the football team so they were all invited to attend the Rose Bowl. A TWA 747 was chartered by the school to carry the team and their families from DTW to LAX and back. They all went and had a great time.

EMB170

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:23 pm

Flew TW only once, as a college student in 1997 ORD-JFK-FCO. Remember that JFK-FCO was originally supposed to be on a 747 and but was relieved when the plane was rescheduled to a 767-300. (First time on a 767, actually). ORD-JFK and return was my first time on an MD-80, as well. We took a lengthy delay out of ORD due to a faulty radio which almost made us miss our connection to FCO (and the gate agents in ORD wanted to make us come back the next day as opposed to rebooking us on AZ). Then, when we finally did get to JFK, the flight to FCO took a delay of well over an hour (almost two) because they mixed up the bags on TW 840 (FCO) with TW 842 (MXP) at the next gate. Crews were friendly, but I have to say TW wasn't an airline I was itching to fly again after that.

Polot

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:31 pm

superjeff wrote:
after the second bankruptcy (and getting rid of Icahn's Karabu deal), they were doing pretty much everything right. It was just too late.

TWA never got out of the Karabu deal until their merger with AA. IIRC Icahn unsuccessfully tried to legally force AA to honor the deal.

TWA’s second bankruptcy was about making themselves leaner so they could actually be profitable despite the Karabu agreement. Their game plan was basically just to funnel as much through STL as possible (since those flights were excluded from Karabu) and survive until the deal expired in 2003.
Last edited by Polot on Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UpNAWAy

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:45 pm

My one and only TWA experience was PHX-JFK mid 90's. I was at the gate looking out on the ramp at Terminal 2 and noticed what look like 70-80 (age) old men working the ramp. At the gate was a few senior citizens also, at one point during some idle chit-chat with a TWA agent I asked about how experienced everyone here seemed. They guy told me PHX was the most senior station in the company and to hold a position one needed over 40 years seniority and most had over 50. Wow! I recall thinking I bet they all had some awesome stories.

william

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:51 pm

What does the old STL hub look like now? Still half empty? There was a plan to tear down some of the concourses.

jasoncrh

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:53 pm

Nope - American got the San Juan hub in the 1970s when they merged with Transcaribbean.

TexasAirCorp wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
einsteinboricua wrote:

I believe AA gained the SJU hub when they bought Eastern's South American ops in the early 90s.

26point2

Thu Dec 02, 2021 2:59 pm

I have vague memories of my first ever “airplane ride” as a 5 year old emigrating to the US in 1968 on a TWA 707. LHR-JFK. Thus began a lifelong love of all things aviation and (up til now) 40+ years as a pilot, 33 of them professionally. I like to think TWA gets some credit for the path I have chosen....that’s my story at least.

pmanni1

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:10 pm

william wrote:
What does the old STL hub look like now? Still half empty? There was a plan to tear down some of the concourses.

AA,NK,F9 and AS take up most of the C concourse now. Still a few empty gates. D concourse has slowly been reopened as WN has expanded. Still some empty gates along there as well.

richiemo

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:27 pm

I recently bought several TWA throw back tee-shirts. Wore one in Hawaii a few weeks back. Amazing how many comments and questions I got about it. And people talked about how they remembered the airline. Someone from Kansas City said there is still an old TWA sign in one of their terminals. Or at least some remnant of it. Miss them all, TWA, Eastern, Pan Am, and National.

jetwet1

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:39 pm

Polot wrote:
superjeff wrote:
after the second bankruptcy (and getting rid of Icahn's Karabu deal), they were doing pretty much everything right. It was just too late.

TWA never got out of the Karabu deal until their merger with AA. IIRC Icahn unsuccessfully tried to legally force AA to honor the deal.

TWA’s second bankruptcy was about making themselves leaner so they could actually be profitable despite the Karabu agreement. Their game plan was basically just to funnel as much through STL as possible (since those flights were excluded from Karabu) and survive until the deal expired in 2003.

Correct. Everytime I had to make a run to our Atlantic City property I would book 2 separate tickets through STL, it annoyed my boss no end, but having non revved with TWA many times thanks to a good friend a little bit of paying it back was good karma in my books.

I actually ran into a former TWA purser on an AA flight down to Cabo in January, he had a globe pin on his collar, don't know if he was supposed to or not, but he did. We had a great conversation about the good times.

STT757

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:42 pm

I never got to fly TWA, but I would always grab their TWA Getaway Vacations magazines whenever I passed a travel agency in the mall. They were packed full of cool pictures of their planes, airports etc.. None of the other airlines had anything any where nearly as nice. I would always try to visit T-5 and T-6 whenever I was at Kennedy airport. There was one gate at T6, closest to the roadway, where they would always have a L1011 with the jetway attached to the right side instead of the usual left side of the aircraft. The only other time I would see that was in the early '80s as a kid I remember seeing our Eastern flight, also an L1011, at EWR connected to the gate on the right and left side.

PI4EVR

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:45 pm

As like richiemo, I have a large beach towel that is a reproduction of a TWA gold Globe "Seat Occupied" card. I have gotten numerous comments including a couple from STL who were on vacation (I live in FL) and were TW retirees who were so excited to see such an unusual item and its link to TW history.

USAirALB

Thu Dec 02, 2021 3:52 pm

My sole TWA experience was on LGA-STL back in 1998. It was the first time I ever flew on a 752, and the first time I saw drop-down LCD monitors onboard an aircraft...I remember thinking how modern the cabin looked compared to other aircraft that had those clunky CRT monitors above the aisle. As always during that time period, it was nice (looking back now) to get a hot meal in Y...I remember eating pancakes and sausage on the LGA-STL segment.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos