Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rising
Topic Author

United seeks donations to purchase its Sustainable Aviation Fuel

Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:44 pm

I guess it's one way to get your fuel costs down, ask for donations. Via PayPal no less. ;-) Will be interesting to see if other carriers ask as well. It makes sense to somebody.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/co ... 87#support

JoseSalazar

Re: United seeks donations to purchase its Sustainable Aviation Fuel

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:16 pm

I wonder if Scott Kirby will help me go green and donate to my Tesla fund.

VDemerest

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:21 pm

Can a publicly held corporation from the United States ask for "donations" for fuel?

This isn't Freddie Laker circa 1982...very strange indeed...I cannot imagine they would receive enough donations to supply taxi fuel for a Cessna 152.

rising
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:24 pm

VDemerest wrote:
Can a publicly held corporation from the United States ask for "donations" for fuel?

This isn't Freddie Laker circa 1982...very strange indeed...I cannot imagine they would receive enough donations to supply taxi fuel for a Cessna 152.

They indicated it is not tax deducible and "Donations may be used to purchase SAF from entities in which United holds an equity or other financial interest."

PHLspecial

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:37 pm

Amazing airlines asking for bailouts, donations and laying off staff. Nothing wrong with this. Just looks bad for PR not for UA itself. Great for UA financial goals.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:43 pm

Virtue Signaling for fun and profit. Yet another climate-related indulgence.

N1120A

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:47 pm

Their investment in SAF is admirable, but this is not the way to go about it.

JoseSalazar wrote:

Sir, please enjoy the Internet you have just won.

AndoAv8R

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:49 pm

I sure people will gladly donate.Seems like the same thing as people who pay extra on their utility bill for "renewable" energy yet the renewable part accounts for maybe .001% of the power actually coming into their residence. Id rather donate to keep a classic aircraft flying

PHLspecial

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:52 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Paint it green and it's automatically ecofriendly!!

WesternDC6B

Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:57 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

and, if they want to do virtue signaling, they can do it on their own dime. That's what profits are for.

ua900

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:08 pm

It's practically in the same section as buying carbon offsets and donating miles or money to a variety of other social causes, more established items that they've done for years. It's at the very bottom of their website, not all that easy to find. https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/co ... nship.html

I would agree that some people will buy into that, but most people will either be unaware due to the relatively obscure location or take a pass. Doesn't hurt to ask, but "no" is always a valid answer here for customers.

OzarkD9S

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:17 pm

GofundME UA...I have a mortgage and an elderly Mother. Will breathlessly await your reply.

jetmatt777

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:23 pm

I think they would have better success by rephrasing it a bit. I also think a "match" would be the smarter way to go about it.

Something like: "United is already committed to purchasing 1.5 billion gallons sustainable aviation fuel, but you can help us grow that number. We will match dollar for dollar of your support for this promising breakthrough technology" That reads much better. I am surprised they went ahead with that copy honestly.

Revelation

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:28 pm

Same old recipe: Capitalize profits, socialize losses...

FlyingElvii

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm

AndoAv8R wrote:
I sure people will gladly donate.Seems like the same thing as people who pay extra on their utility bill for "renewable" energy yet the renewable part accounts for maybe .001% of the power actually coming into their residence. Id rather donate to keep a classic aircraft flying

Or to help a hungry kid…
This is just virtue-signalling nonsense.

rising
Topic Author

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:34 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
I think they would have better success by rephrasing it a bit. I also think a "match" would be the smarter way to go about it.

Something like: "United is already committed to purchasing 1.5 billion gallons sustainable aviation fuel, but you can help us grow that number. We will match dollar for dollar of your support for this promising breakthrough technology" That reads much better. I am surprised they went ahead with that copy honestly.

Yes or have donate to a charity. Donating to “ United Airlines, Inc” I am kinda shocked too actually this got through the PR dept.

TangoandCash

Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:43 pm

I will "donate" to their fund, in the form of purchasing a fairly-priced ticket to a destination served by United at a competitive price.

I'd be more willing to donate to a fund for refurbishment of the tattered interior on the CRJ200 I flew on last week (or better yet, scrapping of those cursed things completely)

simairlinenet

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:05 am

Lufthansa is nearing 2 million euros from customers for its program launched last year: https://lufthansa.compensaid.com/#tracking-section

A lot more donations towards SAF than offsets.

Italianflyer

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:16 am

I. Have. No. Words.
One would think that a high school business class would figure that the optics on this initiative make it a no go. Yet highly educated & experienced C-suiters green light cyber-panhandling while bragging about their multi-billion enterprise. UA continues to be a "three steps forward, two steps back" operation.
Comedians should have a field day with this.

tullamarine

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:47 am

Good grief, this is a grift that would do an ex-US president proud. Maybe UA can run an ad fronted by Jim and Tammy-Faye Baker telling travellers it is a way to salvation. (Yes, I realise Tammy Faye isn't available.)

IceCream

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:47 am

This is hilarious

MIflyer12

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:03 am

Italianflyer wrote:
I. Have. No. Words.
One would think that a high school business class would figure that the optics on this initiative make it a no go. Yet highly educated & experienced C-suiters green light cyber-panhandling while bragging about their multi-billion enterprise. UA continues to be a "three steps forward, two steps back" operation.

The joke is on you. This is actually a modestly clever way to see if people will pay for the 'green' they say they want. It's in the same vein of letting ticket-buyers pay for carbon offsets, with active programs run by more than 15 carriers on four continents, a practice that goes back to 2007.

LCDFlight

Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:10 am

This is allows UAL to say sustainable fuels is a "priority" to social media, just not a priority they are willing to spend a single dime on, in the grown up world.

If I may say so, this is classic Scott Kirby.

UA735WL

Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:06 am

LCDFlight wrote:
This is allows UAL to say sustainable fuels is a "priority" to social media, just not a priority they are willing to spend a single dime on, in the grown up world.

If I may say so, this is classic Scott Kirby.

I do have to say that this one takes the cake. I remember when UA introduced their devalued Basic Economy product a few years ago Kirby was complaining about how Y customers weren't willing to spend enough money to make them worthwhile and that they essentially didn't care enough about the financial wellbeing of the company. I thought * that* was bad.

JoseSalazar wrote:

When I was a kid I asked my dad why we always flew HP (cheapest). He responded with "I'll fly someone more expensive when that airline starts giving a damn about *my* financial wellbeing".

Someone should ask Kirby how much he plans to donate to this fund, since he's trying to pretend like he cares about sustainability.

FiscAutTecGarte

Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:31 am

JoseSalazar wrote:

You beat me to it. That was going to be response.

These captains of industry are just incredible aren't they....

There are somethings I do.... I buy my eggs from a farm where the chickens run around in pasture all day... and they cost more.. but that's okay. I recycle my water from my aquarium and RO water filter (we have liquid rock here in AZ) so that it is the sole source of water for my small citrus trees... none of it going to waste. I try to use things for a long time... wear them out.... all small things... nothing I'd try to get likes for on social media. (shucks, i fully expect some of you to shame me for keeping a few fishes in a glass prison, eating eggs, and trying to save my copper plumbing.)

But I'll draw the line at subsidizing a millionaire's gas.

MohawkWeekend

Fri Dec 03, 2021 12:45 pm

Folks this is just a precursor to the real ask - billions in subsidies from the US Treasury to either make or purchase SAF.

The CEO's have already gone to the White House to start the process.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN2AQ2XG

One promising development is it may be possible to repurpose ethanol plants to make SAF. But we'll still need a lot of ethanol for the motor fuels which will still be produced for 20 to 25 more years. But that debate is for another thread

VDemerest

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:21 pm

Anyone who "donates" to this cause needs to have their head evaluated by a proper mental doctor. The company (as well as all airlines these days and lots of families all over the world) have been on pogey - provided by the taxpayers. Now they are asking for "donations" that are not tax deductible? This has to be a joke?? Who thought this was a good idea??? Seems like a huge public relations kerfuffle if I've ever seen one!

rising
Topic Author

Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:51 pm

The best part is the box you can check on PayPal to add more to your donation to "offset the processing fees" ;-)

I think the SAF is a noble cause and United has done some great work on this, but I agree, donating to a corporation that will use the funds to buy its fuel from companies it owns equity is a little tough to swallow. Just do it the old-fashion way and charge for it in the ticket and let the consumer decide to buy the seat or not. If you're going to accept donations it, should be to a non-profit, who is supporting this work. Not, as designated, simply United Airlines, Inc. I can't recall any other for-profit corporation that has publicly asked for donations from the general public to cover its operational costs.

Will be interesting to see how much gets donated at the end of the year when they say they will publish the amount.

dpaanlka

Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Please do not "donate" to a for-profit corporation, especially one the U.S. taxpayer has already "donated" to in countless ways via tax loopholes, subsidies and literal direct cash bailouts.

Please. Just don't.

VC10er

Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:02 pm

[list=][/list]
tullamarine wrote:
Good grief, this is a grift that would do an ex-US president proud. Maybe UA can run an ad fronted by Jim and Tammy-Faye Baker telling travellers it is a way to salvation. (Yes, I realise Tammy Faye isn't available.)

Tammy Faye Bakker was one person who initially sickened me with all the conspicuous consumption and clown makeup. Only to later redeem herself by becoming part of the Drag and Transgender community. She could relate to them, she didn’t give a hoot about WHAT they were, she cared about WHO they were. I was in the NYC club scene and she seemed extremely sincere and blew off criticism from her old crowd and said some very amazing things about love.

As for UNITED and this request for funding. I’m sad because it was so fabulous to see on the news before the digging started. I often feel a wee bit bad when I have my bed seat and my carbon footprint increases. I wished UA planted a tree in NEWARK every time I purchased a Polaris ticket. I’d rather pay a few bucks more per Polaris seating to go towards Eco Fuel. I have size 13 feet which much use an additional liter of fuel per LH & ULH!

They are usually more savvy than this. Who is UAL’s PR firm?

SuperGee

Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:40 am

I wonder if they know about this link. Gofundme is probably the biggest and most well known on there. Does UA really know how much ridicule they are setting themselves up for?

https://www.crowdfunding.com/

LDRA

Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:14 am

Clearly not sustainable

JannEejit

Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:00 am

So I donate to this 'adopt a 757 scheme' and I get a photo, tee-shirt, a badge, regular updates and the chance to fly to my chosen city several times a year, right ?

VC10er

Sat Dec 04, 2021 8:36 am

Aside from might be PR blowback, I do have some questions about bio fuels

As of today: does the biofuel United just flew the 737 with work with any engine type they have today, even some of their oldest aircraft?

Second, I know that sugarcane produces much more bio fuel than corn, but it’s been a political issue in the past because the “Corn Lobby” (gosh that sounds so silly when I just typed it out is so much more powerful than the “sugar lobbyists” because the USA grows so much more corn than sugar cane. It is totally flipped when compared to countries such a Brazil have a MASSIVE sugar cane Agricultural out put.

I once worked with a US Sugarcane grower’s collective and their primary problem was being smashed by the power of CORN collectives in the US. I had worked on a Failed campaign touting American Sugar (Branding it like Colombian Coffee or Florida OJ) it’s not easy to brand such commodities unless there is a serious big origin story)

I wonder if the USA can strengthen its trade ties with Brazil (#1 in the world of sugarcane production) and without cutting down more of the Amazon!

MohawkWeekend

Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:30 pm

Does anyone know if this flight was power by fuel produced by waste animal/cooking fats or with biomass?

Revelation

Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:52 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
Folks this is just a precursor to the real ask - billions in subsidies from the US Treasury to either make or purchase SAF.

The CEO's have already gone to the White House to start the process.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKBN2AQ2XG

One promising development is it may be possible to repurpose ethanol plants to make SAF. But we'll still need a lot of ethanol for the motor fuels which will still be produced for 20 to 25 more years. But that debate is for another thread

Of course they have.

Far easier to push the problem onto government and other industries.

We've done our bit, now produce us the magic pixie dust, the unicorn farts, so we don't have to change how we do business at all.

'Sustainable' doesn't mean 'pollution free', by the way.

MIflyer12

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:02 pm

I'm not sure about 'needing' ethanol for motor fuels. It's completely cost-uncompetitive with gasoline, and exists in the market only because of Federal mandates starting with Bush's signature on the 2005 Energy Policy Act. Sixteen years later it's clear that a better path to decarbonizing light vehicle transport is renewables-powered EVs. Fifteen states already get 28-99% of their electricity from renewables.

But, yeah, Revelation has it right: make the Federal government responsible for harvesting unicorn farts and butterfly tears by the billions of gallons.

MohawkWeekend

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:45 pm

Actually ethanol in small amounts(less than 10%) is needed in gasoline to boost octane levels. Refiners used to use tetraethyllead (leaded fuel). That got banned and was replaced with Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE). That got banned and was replaced by a small percentage of ethanol. People buying gasoline power cars and trucks today and the next couple of years (92 percent of this years sales of light vehicles including pickups and SUVs) will be operating them well into 2030 plus.

I too really don't see the advantage of SAF. Better option would be utilizing just the most efficient aircraft (A220 foe example) and fewer flights

Boof02671

Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:37 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:
Actually ethanol in small amounts(less than 10%) is needed in gasoline to boost octane levels. Refiners used to use tetraethyllead (leaded fuel). That got banned and was replaced with Methyl tert-butyl ether (MTBE). That got banned and was replaced by a small percentage of ethanol. People buying gasoline power cars and trucks today and the next couple of years (92 percent of this years sales of light vehicles including pickups and SUVs) will be operating them well into 2030 plus.

I too really don't see the advantage of SAF. Better option would be utilizing just the most efficient aircraft (A220 foe example) and fewer flights

I don’t think Ethanol boots octane as the ethanol free gas has the same or higher octanes as ethanol

I believe it’s done for emissions:

“ Ethanol is an alcohol-based fuel that is distilled from plant materials, namely sugar and corn. ... Ethanol is used as an additive in gasoline to help oxygenate the gas, causing the fuel to burn completely. Thus, ethanol-infused gases produce cleaner emissions, leading to better air quality.”

DLPMMM

Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:59 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
MohawkWeekend wrote:

I don’t think Ethanol boots octane as the ethanol free gas has the same or higher octanes as ethanol

I believe it’s done for emissions:

“ Ethanol is an alcohol-based fuel that is distilled from plant materials, namely sugar and corn. ... Ethanol is used as an additive in gasoline to help oxygenate the gas, causing the fuel to burn completely. Thus, ethanol-infused gases produce cleaner emissions, leading to better air quality.”

Indeed…Ethanol has much lower potential energy content per unit volume than gasoline, but does burn much cleaner.

Autos get lower mpg using 10% ethanol fuel than straight gasoline, but also lower emissions per mile covered.

jetblastdubai

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:49 pm

MohawkWeekend wrote:

Good point. How many of these United "eco-friendly" flights are negated by ferrying just one empty 777 across the Pacific to have a communist country (with a very poor record of emissions control) perform maintenance?

airzona11

Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:55 pm

jetblastdubai wrote:
MohawkWeekend wrote:

Good point. How many of these United "eco-friendly" flights are negated by ferrying just one empty 777 across the Pacific to have a communist country (with a very poor record of emissions control) perform maintenance?

Great example, it’s all social media emotional response driven vs actual reality.

phatfarmlines

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:12 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:
I. Have. No. Words.

The joke is on you. This is actually a modestly clever way to see if people will pay for the 'green' they say they want. It's in the same vein of letting ticket-buyers pay for carbon offsets, with active programs run by more than 15 carriers on four continents, a practice that goes back to 2007.

I would say yes and no.

Yes in that, it's not the first rodeo for Kirby to do something like this. Remember the purchasing of in-flight beverages during this time at US (post-HP merger) in the late 2000s? That is what this reminds me of, although he's going at it at a creative way.

No in that, marketing/PR departments will need to take a hard look at emerging trends in virtue signaling, regardless at what end of the political spectrum they sit on, and how they want to message that going forward. It's not a good corporate look.

gatibosgru

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:35 pm

What a joke, but not as bad as AA asking employees to volunteer their time at work.

MohawkWeekend

Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:43 pm

Quote - "I believe it’s done for emissions:

Ethanol is an alcohol-based fuel that is distilled from plant materials, namely sugar and corn. ... Ethanol is used as an additive in gasoline to help oxygenate the gas, causing the fuel to burn completely. Thus, ethanol-infused gases produce cleaner emissions, leading to better air quality.”[/quote]

You are correct. MTBE was both an octane booster and an oxygenate. Ethanol is a oxygenate too but is not a octane booster. Refiners are now adding additional processing to raise octane levels.

That being said, ethanol will still be needed as a pollution reduction element in all future production of gasoline. Unless a new oxygenate is developed. Just won't be at the 10 to 15% we see now.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos