Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TC957

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:58 am

bfitzflyer wrote:
TC957 wrote:
VS sent the travel trade a teaser today about the upcoming new route.
" We'll soon be able to share news of a new " destination " where you can connect with Virgin Atlantic "

Makes me feel MSP with connect.

Yes, I feel that word connect is significant in the clue as to the new city to see VS. After all, it will certainly be in DL's interest for VS to serve MSP, freeing up a 764 that they would have used next summer to LHR.

GVIIO

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:32 pm

MSP doesn’t fit the leisure category at all no way it’s MSP

SESGDL

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:41 pm

GVIIO wrote:
MSP doesn’t fit the leisure category at all no way it’s MSP

Leisure doesn't imply it has to be leisure focused on the destination in the US. It could also mean that leisure travel FROM MSP to LHR. Every city has a component of leisure travel (often the majority of travel) otherwise few routes would exist outside of core business markets (NYC, London, etc.). No way that even large business markets would have the frequency they currently do without a large number of leisure travelers (tourists, visiting friends and family, etc.).

Jeremy

Tristar787

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:51 pm

If the emphasis is indeed on ‘connect with Virgin Atlantic’ I’d say it’s likely a DL hub. SLC could fit the bill. UK originating traffic to Zion, ski resorts, etc. Vegas is also close and many Britons like fly-drive packages through the Western US (which are available through Virgin Holidays). On the US originating side you have all of the DL cities/customers that the SLC hub connects to. I know DL has said that they were looking to resume SLC-LHR service eventually but they didn’t necessarily say it was would be on their own metal.

subramak1

Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:29 pm

airbazar wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
It's not a sign of success to price a business seat that takes 5x the floor space of a coach seat at 2x the lowest coach fare.

Meh, more like a sign of reality.

Businesses weren't paying anywhere near the advertised fares on J classes that you see on airlines' websites. That kind of pricing would just reflect what a plurality (if not majority) of those seats have been going out for anyway.

Exactly. My last business trip about 4 years ago I flew BOS-LHR-BLR with BA in J for $2900 r/t. I couldn't believe how cheap it was.

I did DFW LHR - MAA - LHR DFW for $ 3100. It was pretty cheap

UltraLongRange

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:14 pm

Could it be CVG? Virgin has been flying LHR-CVG-LHR with an A333 on Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri in the past 7 days. Flight number VS559/560. Maybe they realise the cargo operation itself is quite profitable and they might as well just put passengers on it as well.

admanager

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:49 am

UltraLongRange wrote:
Could it be CVG? Virgin has been flying LHR-CVG-LHR with an A333 on Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri in the past 7 days. Flight number VS559/560. Maybe they realise the cargo operation itself is quite profitable and they might as well just put passengers on it as well.

I like your thinking.

IFlyVeryLittle

Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:03 pm

Kronesian wrote:
FSDan wrote:
IFlyVeryLittle wrote:

MLB? As in Melbourne, Fla?

Yeah, MLB seemed like an odd guess to me too... It's an airport lacking year-round service to some of the biggest domestic hubs like DFW and ORD. TUI is starting up service there this summer to UK leisure destinations, but I don't think that indicates it's ripe for a LHR flight...

MLB is always that airport that seems to come out of left field for weird routes like that. I remember in the 2007 timeframe, LTU was supposed to start flying here from Berlin. Then of course those Porter Dash 8 flights a few years back.

Well, at least a court order made them stop calling themselves Orlando-Melbourne International airport,

Dreamflight767

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:54 am

So far I've guessed HNL, ANC, MKE, and I'll throw-in SMF. And I'm not staying these would be year around/daily.

jbs2886

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:56 am

Dreamflight767 wrote:
So far I've guessed HNL, ANC, MKE, and I'll throw-in SMF. And I'm not staying these would be year around/daily.

None of these will happen, none.

Wneast

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:56 am

AUS typing …

2travel2know2

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:02 am

LGW-FLL ?

Seat1F

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:59 am

jbs2886 wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

None of these will happen, none.

You can say that again.

When is this new service to be announced?

GVIIO

Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:52 am

TPA, SAN, AUS are the only realistic options let’s be real here guys enough MKE or CVG or FLL

TC957

Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:32 am

I just can't see HNL working on VS. It'll take an aircraft out of LHR for about 36 hours meaning poor utilisation for essentially a leisure-only route with limited onward connections.

GVIIO

Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:48 pm

It’s a bust when people say absurd destinations like MKE or HNL might as well be saying ABQ or OMA or EYW too

BrianDromey

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:05 pm

TC957 wrote:
I just can't see HNL working on VS. It'll take an aircraft out of LHR for about 36 hours meaning poor utilisation for essentially a leisure-only route with limited onward connections.

I agree on the utilisation. Not sure about connections, there might be a few on the London end, but even those are largely irrelevant. If HNL happens it would surely be an O&D route? I don't think connections would even factor into it. The number and value of holidays Virgin Holidays sells would be far more crucial than a few opportunistic connections to Japan on DL.

AntonioMartin

Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:16 pm

ANA787 wrote:
PHX?

Cross my fingers!!!

Coronado990

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:33 pm

VS sure is stretching out this announcement. I thought they would have announced something by now. Any ideas what "coming weeks" really means?
Signed SAN.

LAX772LR

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:41 pm

GVIIO wrote:
It’s a bust when people say absurd destinations like MKE or HNL might as well be saying ABQ or OMA or EYW too

What's so "absurd" about HNL?

Virgin/Holidays already sell a significant amount of traffic there, with a long-extant portion of their site dedicated to Hawaiian traffic; they share coordinated data with DL on the market, so they know the revenue flows for that location; and they have a partnership with HA for connections throughout the islands.

Utilization is a drawback, but not an impediment; at least no more so than the flight to GRU that they'd announced shortly before Covid hit.

Very strange that you would group HNL among the likes of the other options.

I on the other hand, would (considering the refocus on premium leisure that many airlines currently have) would be surprised if between HA/VS/BA we don't see a nonstop HNL-LON at some point in the relatively near future.

DarkSnowyNight

Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm

GVIIO wrote:

Especially when we obviously know it is going to be BKG. It is the largest market in southwest Missouri to not have an N/S to any LON airport! It was only a matter of time.

LAX772LR wrote:
GVIIO wrote:

What's so "absurd" about HNL?

Virgin/Holidays already sell a significant amount of traffic there, with a long-extant portion of their site dedicated to Hawaiian traffic; they share coordinated data with DL on the market, so they know the revenue flows for that location; and they have a partnership with HA for connections throughout the islands.

Utilization is a drawback, but not an impediment; at least no more so than the flight to GRU that they'd announced shortly before Covid hit.

Strange that you would group HNL among the likes of the other options.

I would not have guessed all that, but I suppose that is not out of the question. While that is within easy range of everything in VS inventory, it does on the surface seem a little much for the beach crowd, both in terms of flight time, and in general how much more pricey the islands are compared to more local things like Tenerife, Spanish Islands & the West Indies.

Plus, at over 13 hours each way, that is a little taxing for an airline that has only 37 airplanes altogether.

SANFan

Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:47 pm

Coronado990 wrote:
VS sure is stretching out this announcement. I thought they would have announced something by now. Any ideas what "coming weeks" really means?
Signed SAN.

Yeah, "coming weeks" (plural) covers a lot of time; we're right at 2 weeks since the "pre-announcement" now.

Maybe some city in the US is going to get a nice Christmas present next week!? (I of course have my preference!)

bb

BealineV953

Sun Dec 19, 2021 6:26 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
3AWM wrote:
So I wouldn't expect them to run a route BA aren't already running.

Quite a few incorrect assumptions in that.

...VS has historically beat BA to several destinations; perhaps most notable being LAS, where they flew/grew for a decade before BA even attempted.
They don't just follow BA and cherry pick it, they actually operate their own analyses as to what works for their markets.

Where you say VS beat BA to several destinations, which destinations are you thinking of?

skipness1E

Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:57 pm

They were first on LON-LAS, that's the main one, aside from LGW-VRA. I think BA were first to market on the rest of the Beach Fleet routes.

davidjohnson6

Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:06 pm

Virgin also opened London-Shanghai in the late 1990s, many years before BA began flying it

Clipper73

Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:11 pm

BealineV953 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
3AWM wrote:
So I wouldn't expect them to run a route BA aren't already running.

Quite a few incorrect assumptions in that.

...VS has historically beat BA to several destinations; perhaps most notable being LAS, where they flew/grew for a decade before BA even attempted.
They don't just follow BA and cherry pick it, they actually operate their own analyses as to what works for their markets.

Where you say VS beat BA to several destinations, which destinations are you thinking of?

I believe VS was first on London to Newark as well.

LAX772LR

Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:22 pm

BealineV953 wrote:

From LON, to LAS, EWR, PVG, and at least two Caribbean destinations... though sorta drawing a blank.

They also provide Florida from more destinations that BA does/did.

hpff

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:05 am

BrianDromey wrote:
TC957 wrote:

I agree on the utilisation. Not sure about connections, there might be a few on the London end, but even those are largely irrelevant. If HNL happens it would surely be an O&D route? I don't think connections would even factor into it. The number and value of holidays Virgin Holidays sells would be far more crucial than a few opportunistic connections to Japan on DL.

Do they have any Australian partners? LHR-HNL-SYD is 1,000 miles longer than through DXB, but DXB-SYD is the longest flight of the four. I've done the HNL layover myself Aus-USA, it's a great one.

(But yes that would only be a row or two of seats at most.)

flyjay123

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:24 am

[/quote]

Where you say VS beat BA to several destinations, which destinations are you thinking of?[/quote]

I don't think BA ever matched VS operating to Australia via Hong Kong.

hz747300

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:37 am

flyjay123 wrote:

Where you say VS beat BA to several destinations, which destinations are you thinking of?[/quote]

I don't think BA ever matched VS operating to Australia via Hong Kong.[/quote]

Come on, they operated via SIN, I would not really count this. They could code share via HK on CX so not really an issue.

I'm trying to think what destination it could be? DFW? PDX? PHX? ORD? It's the combination of leisure and business that has thrown me.

sfojvjets

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:15 am

hz747300 wrote:
I'm trying to think what destination it could be? DFW? PDX? PHX? ORD? It's the combination of leisure and business that has thrown me.

I think PDX is too small of a market; SAN fits the card almost perfectly.

I would have said TPA as well, but Tampa is far more leisure-heavy than business and now would be the wrong time to announce it... whereas around now would be a great time to announce SAN in time for a peak season summer launch.

ANA787
Topic Author

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:19 am

sfojvjets wrote:
hz747300 wrote:

I think PDX is too small of a market; SAN fits the card almost perfectly.

I would have said TPA as well, but Tampa is far more leisure-heavy than business and now would be the wrong time to announce it... whereas around now would be a great time to announce SAN in time for a peak season summer launch.

Pre covid PDX was to be 2x daily: 1x BA/AA, 1x DL/VS. It’s possible DL/VS will be back but with VS metal this time.

bluecrew

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:21 am

Has anyone tossed out DEN yet?

No SkyTeam international service, good mix of leisure and business. Not a good connection market... but everyone has been going wild about DEN the last few years. UA and BA have no issue filling airplanes to DEN. Not saying it's likely... or a good idea... but it seems more plausible than MKE, HNL, or PDX.

I'd say probably SAN/AUS fit the bill too. Dark horse for me would maybe be PHX.

Dreamflight767 wrote:

No way on any of these. ANC served with one easy DL connection via SEA, they serve ORD and most people near MKE drive to ORD anyways when going abroad, SMF is far too small and too close to SFO, and ANC... fleet rotation issues, length of the flight is too difficult to easily serve, but hey it would be interesting!

sfojvjets

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:00 am

bluecrew wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

No way on any of these. ANC served with one easy DL connection via SEA, they serve ORD and most people near MKE drive to ORD anyways when going abroad, SMF is far too small and too close to SFO, and ANC... fleet rotation issues, length of the flight is too difficult to easily serve, but hey it would be interesting!

VS actually doesn't serve ORD. As people have pointed out, this might be the new market.

ANC is served easily via DL 1-stop options via SEA as you say, but regarding your point about flight stage length, the distance from LHR-ANC is comparable to LHR-MIA, only around 50 nmi longer. The 787 can easily fly it.

My take on the markets pointed out is this:

HNL - I don't think the market is ready yet, but if VS can make some sort of vacation package, then why not? The only issue is that it's a very long flight to cater almost exclusively to low-yielding leisure pax. I can see HA flying HNL-LON (perhaps Gatwick?) in the future, though...
MKE - no way, just too small, they would probably start ORD instead.
ANC - again, too small
SMF - too small but maybe a future BA 788 market

I'm still sticking with SAN and ORD as my best bets.

jbs2886

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:22 am

bluecrew wrote:

No SkyTeam international service, good mix of leisure and business. Not a good connection market... but everyone has been going wild about DEN the last few years. UA and BA have no issue filling airplanes to DEN. Not saying it's likely... or a good idea... but it seems more plausible than MKE, HNL, or PDX.

I'd say probably SAN/AUS fit the bill too. Dark horse for me would maybe be PHX.

Dreamflight767 wrote:

DEN has Skyteam international service on AF to CDG. https://corporate.airfrance.com/en/pres ... ture-paris

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:47 am

bluecrew wrote:
No SkyTeam international service

1) VS is not in SkyTeam
2) AF launched DEN last summer, and they're as SkyTeam as it gets

sfojvjets wrote:
VS actually doesn't serve ORD. As people have pointed out, this might be the new market.

VS/DL have tried ORD-LON several times, so while plausible, that'd be quite the letdown if being marketed as some "new" route.

sfojvjets wrote:
HNL . . . The only issue is that it's a very long flight to cater almost exclusively to low-yielding leisure pax.

Why do you assume that? ...ever seen the front-cabin fares on just about any non N.American international nonstop from HNL?

NRT is about the only one with leisure-stimulative low fares. HND, PPT, SYD, ICN, etc all very commonly feature higher premium fares from the islands than from the mainland, and unlike the latter, there's nowhere near as many corporations buying those seats at far below public retail.

GVIIO

Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:04 pm

It won’t be ORD as it was clarified that it would be a route never served before by VS, something tells me it won’t be DEN.

b777900

Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:53 pm

PDX OR SAN is the best choice...

Eitilt

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:26 pm

If an airline is going to fly somewhere just announce the destination and sell your tickets.
Nobody, outside a few posters here gives a crap.
They have more important things to think about these days.
It smacks of uncertainty and inability to take decisions at this point.

slcdeltarumd11

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:10 pm

I actually think denver could be a good guess. The place is booming

Mix of leisure and business rules out Detroit, minneapolis. Let's just be honest with ourselves.

BealineV953

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:43 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
To be announced in the coming weeks, and will cover a mix of leisure and business demand.

https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/air/virgin-atlantic-set-to-reveal-new-us-destination

Could the new destination be Las Cruces, New Mexico?
The State of New Mexico spent $203 on Las Cruces, America’s first spaceport.
The New Mexico Spaceport Authority (NMSA), an arm of the state government, spent $31m on the Spaceport terminal. The Norman Foster designed terminal houses Virgin Galactic’s training facilities and lounges, and a maintenance hangar for two White Knight Two and five SpaceShipTwo craft.
In 2008 Virgin Galactic signed a twenty-year lease on the facility, and have been paying $1.63m a year to use since it was completed in January 2013.
Maybe the Virgin group are keen to see a return on their investment, and will operate Virgin Atlantic flights to the under-used facilities?

Is this a serious question? If so what demand is there to Las Cruces? I’ve been there and even with Virgin Galtic it’s not enough to justify even 1 weekly or monthly flight

Hello.
Before my post ORD, PHX, PDX, MSP, IAH, AUS, EWR, DEN, DTW, SAN, SLC, TPA, DFW, BOI, MLB, BNA, HNL, CVG, FLL, ANC, RDU, RSW, STL, ACY, MSY, BDL, ICT, CHS, IND, SJU, RNO, MKE and STL were suggested.
Given that so many cities had been put forward, then why not an under-used airfield where the Virgin Group has exclusive use of a new terminal.
Some might think that Las Cruces has as much chance of seeing service as one or two of those proposed!
My suggestion is as serious as anyone wants it to be!
;)

BealineV953

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:48 pm

Byrdluvs747 wrote:
BealineV953 wrote:
Could the new destination be Las Cruces, New Mexico?
The State of New Mexico spent $203 on Las Cruces, America’s first spaceport.
The New Mexico Spaceport Authority (NMSA), an arm of the state government, spent $31m on the Spaceport terminal. The Norman Foster designed terminal houses Virgin Galactic’s training facilities and lounges, and a maintenance hangar for two White Knight Two and five SpaceShipTwo craft.
In 2008 Virgin Galactic signed a twenty-year lease on the facility, and have been paying $1.63m a year to use since it was completed in January 2013.
Maybe the Virgin group are keen to see a return on their investment, and will operate Virgin Atlantic flights to the under-used facilities?

:shock: :lol:

After reading this I had to check to make sure I opened the right post. I live in Las Cruces, and I can guarantee that VS isn't coming here. Its enough of a fantasy to wish for LRU-PHX on AA let alone a TA flight on VS. If any intl carrier were considering New Mexico, it would be into ABQ or to a lesser extent SAF.

Hello.
Before my post ORD, PHX, PDX, MSP, IAH, AUS, EWR, DEN, DTW, SAN, SLC, TPA, DFW, BOI, MLB, BNA, HNL, CVG, FLL, ANC, RDU, RSW, STL, ACY, MSY, BDL, ICT, CHS, IND, SJU, RNO, MKE and STL were suggested.
Given that so many possibilities have been put forward, then how about an under-used airfield where the Virgin Group has exclusive use of a new terminal?
Some might think that Las Cruces has as much chance of seeing service as one or two of those proposed!
My suggestion is as serious as anyone wants it to be!
:spin:

BealineV953

Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:50 pm

Polot wrote:
As a former Cruces resident that post makes me laugh and laugh.

Hello. In that case my post was worth the effort!
:veryhappy:

LAX772LR

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:09 pm

Eitilt wrote:
If an airline is going to fly somewhere just announce the destination and sell your tickets.

You just contradicted yourself.

If nobody but AvGeeks cares, then how does delaying a decision (even though they never set a specific deadline) cause uncertainty? And why would an airline care about uncertain AvGeeks?

LexPassenger

Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:24 pm

Eitilt wrote:

It smacks of very clever marketing and (shudder) social media nous (go ahead, look it up).

jbs2886

Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:30 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Eitilt wrote:

You just contradicted yourself.

If nobody but AvGeeks cares, then how does delaying a decision (even though they never set a specific deadline) cause uncertainty? And why would an airline care about uncertain AvGeeks?

Exactly, same reason people get all upset at UA's (very effective, IMO) teaser posts for announcements.

PHLspecial

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:03 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Mix of leisure and business rules out Detroit, minneapolis. Let's just be honest with ourselves.

Yep my bets are on DEN and SAN. Both business and leisure

bfitzflyer

Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:57 pm

PHLspecial wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:

Yep my bets are on DEN and SAN. Both business and leisure

DEN would be a blood bath with UA offering two daily and BA with one a day. Denver is booming but not 4 flights a day to LHR booming..

LAXLHR

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:30 pm

VS will not work to DEN, as some metal does not work for certain city pairs. As massive as DL is, people were just not interested in the DL LAX-LHR flight when it first started, and it switched to VS metal. As great as the VS brand is, Americans in CO are not overly familiar with it, and will jump on UA as a captive flier, or BA as O/W, or for the perceived prestige of flying BA...

Sooner787

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:43 pm

I wish VS would fly to DFW , but that's a pipe dream,

I's say AUS has a good chance to land the new route. :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos