Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10
 
Zidane
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:44 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Wed Dec 29, 2021 3:04 pm

TC957 wrote:
3AWM wrote:
doesn't have enough premium demand. That's why BA serves through Gatwick.

**WHY** do people keep repeating this? Why??

Again, for the umpteenth-zillionth time: BA does not segregate its longhaul between airports by premium revenue.
Some of its highest yielding destinations (e.g. BGI) are/have been served via LGW.


This constant a-net myth that LHR is only for bowler-hatted pin-stripped suited businessmen and LGW full of union-jack shorts wearing families carrying a bucket & spade gets my goat too. Not only BGI, but BA's LGW - ANU hardly has any club class seats available throughout the winter season.

ANU, BGI and UVF enjoyed BA first class for years on the LGW subfleet, as did their 5th freedom tags. Now that the LGW fleet is densified, all three enjoy an additional service, albeit seasonally from LHR. Should be proof enough that premium leisure exists and some are willing to pay for it.
 
3AWM
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:01 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:19 pm

Polot wrote:
TC957 wrote:
3AWM wrote:
doesn't have enough premium demand. That's why BA serves through Gatwick.

**WHY** do people keep repeating this? Why??

Again, for the umpteenth-zillionth time: BA does not segregate its longhaul between airports by premium revenue.
Some of its highest yielding destinations (e.g. BGI) are/have been served via LGW.


This constant a-net myth that LHR is only for bowler-hatted pin-stripped suited businessmen and LGW full of union-jack shorts wearing families carrying a bucket & spade gets my goat too. Not only BGI, but BA's LGW - ANU hardly has any club class seats available throughout the winter season.

:checkmark: BA’s LGW 777s still have 32 lie flat business seats and 48 premium economy seats. That’s about equivalent to the number of premium seats you will find on a VS A330 or 787.


The thing is you aren't comparing apples with apples here. Both AUS and SAN saw daily 747s which means 50+/70+ lie flat business + 14 first seats every day. Yes BA don;t have a policy to put premium rev at LHR but it amounts to the same thing otherwise they would be operating premium heavy configs from LGW. Further in the comparison you are making to VS A330s or 787 both of those actually have a higher premium mix over BAs LGW 777s.

I've never said LHR is all business and LGW is all leisure. I've flown from both in both capacity. Yes premium seats are being sold from LGW but overall the proportion of premium seats being sold at LHR is much, much higher than at LGW. Sure you can find exceptions but this is the overall picture.
 
skipness1E
Posts: 5145
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:18 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:33 pm

GVIIO wrote:
3AWM wrote:
TPA doesn't have enough premium demand. That's why BA serves through Gatwick. It's not just BA though, other international connections are also budget/sub premium operators like Eurowings and Eidelwiess.

SAN and AUS used to see premium heavy 747s from BA and they also get other euro connections from Lufthansa. AUS is getting a connection from KLM. I would say this means VS are more likely to go to SAN but you could alternatively interpret it the other way.

I don't think Easyjet connectlions are in reality going to make much difference for Virgin flights. Firsly connections are not at a premium vs non-stop and no-one is going to pay a premium for a connection on Easyjet. This is not just being snobby about flying budget, you get longer connection times and flights are less frequent, so you are taking a big gamble it the connection is missed.


Because people are dumb and think they know it all this guys post holds no credibility

Straw man arguement. The LGW based Caribbean Beach Fleet is a duopoly with Virgin where they can easily fill both F and Club as there's no real competition. Because of this, LGW Fleet traditionally got the tired cabins with refreshed hard product at LHR. The refurb to 10 abreast meant a new Y product but they had no need to use a LHR slot for BGI as the market would come to them at LGW regardless. That's not true of say LHR-USA where the US3 would be at LHR and so must BA. It's not in BA or VS interest to upset the applecart on this, which may explain why VS is really thinking about re-opening LGW.

I love both airports in their own way, but let's not pretend LGW has a business mix even approaching LHR levels. It's not exclusively leisure but vs. LHR, it is COMPARABLY weaker in paid premium cabins.
 
Amfleet82
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:17 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:07 pm

A route going to LGW over LHR doesnt mean its low revenue, only that it is a route with nearly 100% London (or atleast UK) originating passengers. If a route goes to LHR, it likely means it requires some connections to work.

Adam
 
AtlanticGulf777
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:31 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:12 pm

I’m fairly certain TPA can sustain service to both LGW and LHR.
 
Bentheswim11
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:16 am

From what’s been gone over, here’s my ranking of likeliness for a list of airports:

Most Likely:
SAN- Large, growing, leisure-based
AUS- Large, RAPID GROWTH in many forms, capacity
TPA- Huge leisure market on a route that is untouched
MSP- Large connecting airport for passengers

Somewhat Likely:
PDX- Underserved route, but little connections
RDU- Underserved route, 20+ connections, but just gained new European flight
SLC- Massively underserved, lots of connections but limited capacity right now.

Least Likely:
HNL- Great potential route but Hawaii is still strict on air travel (even domestically)
ANC- Less year-round need and mainly cargo
MKE- Small airport, ORD better suited for area
SMF- Small airport for the distance
CVG- Small demand with declining population & passenger count
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 14599
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:40 am

Bentheswim11 wrote:
Somewhat Likely:
PDX- Underserved route, but little connections
RDU- Underserved route, 20+ connections, but just gained new European flight
SLC- Massively underserved, lots of connections but limited capacity right now.

Despite AvGeeks' constant use of the word, there's rarely such a thing as an "underserved" route....
 
Bentheswim11
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:54 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
Somewhat Likely:
PDX- Underserved route, but little connections
RDU- Underserved route, 20+ connections, but just gained new European flight
SLC- Massively underserved, lots of connections but limited capacity right now.

Despite AvGeeks' constant use of the word, there's rarely such a thing as an "underserved" route....


In my mind, the term underserved referenced when there’s high demand/pax count but low service frequencies. Airports like RDU and SLC could easily support new service to London. And I say SLC is massively underserved because it only has 1 daily service, which isn’t even operating right now.
 
AC4500
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:24 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
Somewhat Likely:
PDX- Underserved route, but little connections
RDU- Underserved route, 20+ connections, but just gained new European flight
SLC- Massively underserved, lots of connections but limited capacity right now.

Despite AvGeeks' constant use of the word, there's rarely such a thing as an "underserved" route....

Meh. I agree that the word is certainly overused on here, but they're plenty of underserved routes that airlines aren't operating for one reason or another. However, PDX-LHR just got BA so that's arguably not underserved, although BA/DL were planning on competing against each other on that route pre-COVID. The market for PDX-LHR will eventually grow back to pre-COVID demand at some point, so maybe the market can eventually support two airlines again.
Last edited by AC4500 on Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:43 pm

Bentheswim11 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
Somewhat Likely:
PDX- Underserved route, but little connections
RDU- Underserved route, 20+ connections, but just gained new European flight
SLC- Massively underserved, lots of connections but limited capacity right now.

Despite AvGeeks' constant use of the word, there's rarely such a thing as an "underserved" route....


In my mind, the term underserved referenced when there’s high demand/pax count but low service frequencies. Airports like RDU and SLC could easily support new service to London. And I say SLC is massively underserved because it only has 1 daily service, which isn’t even operating right now.


SLC is not massively underserved. If Delta wanted/needed that route to be operating right now, they would be operating it. But there isn't enough local traffic in SLC and connections can funnel through other DL hubs until traffic comes back, hence restarting the route in 2022.
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 14599
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:10 pm

Bentheswim11 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
Somewhat Likely:
PDX- Underserved route, but little connections
RDU- Underserved route, 20+ connections, but just gained new European flight
SLC- Massively underserved, lots of connections but limited capacity right now.

Despite AvGeeks' constant use of the word, there's rarely such a thing as an "underserved" route....


In my mind, the term underserved referenced when there’s high demand/pax count but low service frequencies. Airports like RDU and SLC could easily support new service to London. And I say SLC is massively underserved because it only has 1 daily service, which isn’t even operating right now.

The first three words in your response are the operative.

And no, SLC is not "massively underserved," if anything it was "massively over-served" due to how comparatively little longhaul O&D at yield it generated for an operation its size, particularly relative to all of the hubs surrounding it. Current conditions seem to be a correction of that.

Wouldn't be surprising to see an eventual buildup, as worldwide travel conditions improve; but the fact that markets like AUS, MSY, and BNA got their TATLs back before SLC, should give you a clue as to the relative importance of the latter's TATL market relative to airlines' finances.



AC4500 wrote:
I agree that the word is certainly overused on here, but they're plenty of underserved routes that airlines aren't operating for one reason or another.

99% of the time, it's one reason and one reason only: because there's more money to be made elsewhere, than increasing capacity on those "underserved" (nonsense) routes.

AvGeeks have got to get this through their heads: pax numbers mean nothing, if yield (in excess of opportunity cost) don't accompany them.

And they also need to keep in mind that those conditions are not static: what worked (i.e. provided sufficient yield) in 2019 might not be the case in 2022, particularly in light of economic shifts that we've seen in several industries.



flyoregon wrote:
If Delta wanted/needed that route to be operating right now, they would be operating it.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: There's really no way around this conclusion.
Last edited by LAX772LR on Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
stl07
Posts: 3109
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:14 pm

I'm still routing for SGF.

Branson airlines to Branson, MO
 
Bentheswim11
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:05 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:21 pm

LAX772LR wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
LAX772LR wrote:
Despite AvGeeks' constant use of the word, there's rarely such a thing as an "underserved" route....


In my mind, the term underserved referenced when there’s high demand/pax count but low service frequencies. Airports like RDU and SLC could easily support new service to London. And I say SLC is massively underserved because it only has 1 daily service, which isn’t even operating right now.

The first three words in your response are the operative.

And no, SLC is not "massively underserved," if anything it was "massively over-served" due to how comparatively little longhaul O&D at yield it generated for an operation its size, particularly relative to all of the hubs surrounding it. Current conditions seem to be a correction of that.

Wouldn't be surprising to see an eventual buildup, as worldwide travel conditions improve; but the fact that markets like AUS, MSY, and BNA got their TATLs back before SLC, should give you a clue as to the relative importance of the latter's TATL market relative to airlines' finances.



AC4500 wrote:
I agree that the word is certainly overused on here, but they're plenty of underserved routes that airlines aren't operating for one reason or another.

99% of the time, it's one reason and one reason only: because there's more money to be made elsewhere, than increasing capacity on those "underserved" (nonsense) routes.

AvGeeks have got to get this through their heads: pax numbers mean nothing, if yield (in excess of opportunity cost) don't accompany them.

And they also need to keep in mind that those conditions are not static: what worked (i.e. provided sufficient yield) in 2019 might not be the case in 2022, particularly in light of economic shifts that we've seen in several industries.



flyoregon wrote:
If Delta wanted/needed that route to be operating right now, they would be operating it.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark: There's really no way around this conclusion.


Had SLC been served on British Airways, it would be back by now. Delta has just been very laid back and still is only serving London out of JFK, ATL, DTW specifically. Eurowings sees SLC as a great fit for them, no reason why Virgin Atlantic won’t either
 
by738
Posts: 3260
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:35 pm

so when was the announcement? #RollsEyes
I suspect some are going to be disappointed..
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 14599
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Bentheswim11 wrote:
Had SLC been served on British Airways

But it wasn't, as BA never saw the value in serving there.


Bentheswim11 wrote:
Delta has just been very laid back and still is only serving London out of JFK, ATL, DTW specifically.

Simply put, DL has more options than international longhaul, to use their widebodies (longhaul, transcon, Hawaii/Caribbean, grounding, etc).... and guess what: they're choosing each and every one of those, above reinstating SLC's longhaul in the near term.


Bentheswim11 wrote:
Eurowings sees SLC as a great fit for them, no reason why Virgin Atlantic won’t either

One has zilch to do with the other.
 
GVIIO
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:00 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:11 pm

Put SLC to bed it’s not happening like come on
 
x1234
Posts: 1260
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:50 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:33 pm

Its ORD, DFW or IAH. Remember VS relies on its vast connecting network into India (BOM/DEL), Pakistan (ISB/KHI), Africa (LOS, JNB, CPT), mostly former British colonies. Did VS start code-sharing with AF/KLM into EMEA for the rest of EMEA?
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 14599
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:42 pm

x1234 wrote:
Remember VS relies on its vast connecting network

VS's connecting network cannot, in any context, be accurately described as "vast"... :lol:

And no, they don't "rely on" it.
 
GVIIO
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:00 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:19 pm

x1234 wrote:
Its ORD, DFW or IAH. Remember VS relies on its vast connecting network into India (BOM/DEL), Pakistan (ISB/KHI), Africa (LOS, JNB, CPT), mostly former British colonies. Did VS start code-sharing with AF/KLM into EMEA for the rest of EMEA?


No chance either of those get added dude
 
Wingtips56
Posts: 1431
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:26 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:34 am

Bentheswim11 wrote:
From what’s been gone over, here’s my ranking of likeliness for a list of airports:

Least Likely:
HNL- Great potential route but Hawaii is still strict on air travel (even domestically)
ANC- Less year-round need and mainly cargo
MKE- Small airport, ORD better suited for area
SMF - Small airport for the distance
CVG- Small demand with declining population & passenger count


While SMF-UK/Europe has potential with connections, I don't see SMF-LON viable as a stand-alone. BA might work over LHR because of the connecting feed, but I don't see VS working.
Probably the same for MKE and CVG. How many Britons are going to Alaska? (Again, connections at LON would be crucial.) HNL? So many connecting options via the US and Canada would thin the market for VS; they don't have a huge fleet, so can they spare one that would be away from base that long at low competitive pricing? And I suppose it might actually be a two-plane route to sustain daily service, due to the flight length, which would further impact fleet usage.
 
User avatar
SLCaviation
Posts: 67
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2021 12:24 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:00 am

GVIIO wrote:
Put SLC to bed it’s not happening like come on


First off. Yes it will most likely happen. The SLC Air Service Development Manager said that VS is in talks and plans to have an SLC service. SLC has 5 national parks, and a ton of Ski resorts along with the mountains. And with the Delta hub it would be the perfect choice for a leisure based airline such as VS. SLC-LHR is scheduled to resume with an unknown airline in 2023. Could be Delta or VS. But SLC is a real possibility.
 
TC957
Posts: 4348
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:32 am

SLCaviation wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
Put SLC to bed it’s not happening like come on


First off. Yes it will most likely happen. The SLC Air Service Development Manager said that VS is in talks and plans to have an SLC service. SLC has 5 national parks, and a ton of Ski resorts along with the mountains. And with the Delta hub it would be the perfect choice for a leisure based airline such as VS. SLC-LHR is scheduled to resume with an unknown airline in 2023. Could be Delta or VS. But SLC is a real possibility.

I agree. In the agent news bulletin of 13 Dec they sent, there was a key word : " We'll soon announce a new destination where you can CONNECT with VS ". My money is on SLC.
 
WidebodyPTV
Posts: 886
Joined: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:53 am

SLCaviation wrote:
GVIIO wrote:
Put SLC to bed it’s not happening like come on


First off. Yes it will most likely happen. The SLC Air Service Development Manager said that VS is in talks and plans to have an SLC service. SLC has 5 national parks, and a ton of Ski resorts along with the mountains. And with the Delta hub it would be the perfect choice for a leisure based airline such as VS. SLC-LHR is scheduled to resume with an unknown airline in 2023. Could be Delta or VS. But SLC is a real possibility.


If it were SLC, DL would’ve kept it in the schedule. Pilot rumors have circulating for months that it’s MSP or DTW - no mention of SLC. Given the verbiage and leaded screenshots, I’d place my bet on MSP.
 
User avatar
AirportRival
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:42 pm

Bentheswim11 wrote:
CVG- Small demand with declining population & passenger count


This isn't true. Do some research before stating something as fact.
 
trexel94
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:44 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:42 pm

AirportRival wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
CVG- Small demand with declining population & passenger count


This isn't true. Do some research before stating something as fact.

CVG may not be “declining” like Cleveland but it certainly isn’t thriving. Heck, even Kansas City is faster growing. It’s losing ground and being passed up by other Midwestern metros.
 
davidjohnson6
Posts: 2097
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:10 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:38 pm

It seems to be Austin
https://twitter.com/SPD_travels
 
AAMDanny
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:41 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
It seems to be Austin
https://twitter.com/SPD_travels

Do you have a source for that? Because I'm getting tired of this thread and the speculation now :lol:
 
PHLspecial
Posts: 1148
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:44 pm

Since we are going full speculation mode ACY :lol: :lol:
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:02 pm

davidjohnson6 wrote:
It seems to be Austin
https://twitter.com/SPD_travels

I was expecting this to be Austin, the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

BA daily
LH 3 weekly (already reduced from 5 weekly)
KL 3 weekly
VS unknown
 
masonh2479
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:09 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
It seems to be Austin
https://twitter.com/SPD_travels

I was expecting this to be Austin, the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

BA daily
LH 3 weekly (already reduced from 5 weekly)
KL 3 weekly
VS unknown

Yes. Austin has a quite large entrapment area in addition to its increasing popularity as a tourist destination and one for business. I know family in San Antonio that drive to Austin for the better flights. BA is already upgrading to an A350-1000, London is by far the most popular international route when Lufthansa was here and I think two companies could survive on the route.
 
DaveMetroD
Posts: 172
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 4:05 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:10 pm

Twitter alone doesn't make it a credible source.
Please wake me when an official announcement occurs.
 
PITFlyer330
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:10 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
It seems to be Austin
https://twitter.com/SPD_travels

I was expecting this to be Austin, the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

BA daily
LH 3 weekly (already reduced from 5 weekly)
KL 3 weekly
VS unknown


yes, dont forget Norwaygein even wanted to add more LGW AUS flights
 
masseybrown
Posts: 5721
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2002 2:40 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:14 pm

trexel94 wrote:
AirportRival wrote:
Bentheswim11 wrote:
CVG- Small demand with declining population & passenger count


This isn't true. Do some research before stating something as fact.

CVG may not be “declining” like Cleveland but it certainly isn’t thriving. Heck, even Kansas City is faster growing. It’s losing ground and being passed up by other Midwestern metros.


The small population declines in older industrial cities obscure more important demographic changes. It's the older and poorer groups that are shrinking. Those remaining are better paid, better educated, and more highly skilled than ever.
 
TyroneShoes
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:00 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
davidjohnson6 wrote:
It seems to be Austin
https://twitter.com/SPD_travels

I was expecting this to be Austin, the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

BA daily
LH 3 weekly (already reduced from 5 weekly)
KL 3 weekly
VS unknown


yes, dont forget Norwaygein even wanted to add more LGW AUS flights



If I remember correctly, before the pandemic they (Norwegian) wanted to add at least seasonal service from Austin to Paris, Rome and Madrid. But that all went away with The Corona.
 
airbazar
Posts: 10739
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:11 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
I was expecting this to be Austin, the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

BA daily
LH 3 weekly (already reduced from 5 weekly)
KL 3 weekly
VS unknown


yes, dont forget Norwaygein even wanted to add more LGW AUS flights



If I remember correctly, before the pandemic they (Norwegian) wanted to add at least seasonal service from Austin to Paris, Rome and Madrid. But that all went away with The Corona.


No, that all went away because Norwegian's business plan was unsustainable and they weren't making any money. You'd be surprised how many city pairs an airline can add if making money isn't a priority :) Until it all comes crashing down.
 
by738
Posts: 3260
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:20 pm

BA744PHX wrote:
the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

My instinct would be, no. Lets see in 18 months if all those frequencies persist… covid or not.
 
n9801f
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:29 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:28 pm

by738 wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
the real question is can AUS sustain all this service?

My instinct would be, no. Lets see in 18 months if all those frequencies persist… covid or not.

Agreed.

AUS-LON just doesn't sound big enough to me for two carriers, and VS/DL looks weaker than BA/AA on both the AUS and LON ends. I struggle to see this ending well for VS.
 
ANA787
Topic Author
Posts: 959
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:29 pm

With all those cash strapped Californians moving to Austin, it shouldnt be a problem to fill all BA, VS, LH and KL.
 
User avatar
IceCream
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:42 pm

Where is this Twitter user getting their sources from? How do they know?
 
masonh2479
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:44 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:44 pm

IceCream wrote:
Where is this Twitter user getting their sources from? How do they know?

Who knows, we’ll see when the announcement happens.
 
PITFlyer330
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:45 pm

IceCream wrote:
Where is this Twitter user getting their sources from? How do they know?


i dont know there source but i have my own and my friend says AUS is getting a new airline soon. VS makes sense
 
jetskipper
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:50 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:45 pm

Does AUS check the “Leisure” box? I understand that AUS has many great attributes, but no one from Europe is flying to Austin for holiday.
 
PITFlyer330
Posts: 297
Joined: Fri May 14, 2021 4:56 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:46 pm

jetskipper wrote:
Does AUS check the “Leisure” box? I understand that AUS has many great attributes, but no one from Europe is flying to Austin for holiday.


yes, its why SAS and DL flew EU to AUS in 2019 for SXSW
 
jetskipper
Posts: 615
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2001 1:50 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:48 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
Does AUS check the “Leisure” box? I understand that AUS has many great attributes, but no one from Europe is flying to Austin for holiday.


yes, its why SAS and DL flew EU to AUS in 2019 for SXSW


There are 51 weeks that are still unaccounted for.
 
User avatar
BA744PHX
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:42 am

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:03 pm

jetskipper wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
Does AUS check the “Leisure” box? I understand that AUS has many great attributes, but no one from Europe is flying to Austin for holiday.


yes, its why SAS and DL flew EU to AUS in 2019 for SXSW


There are 51 weeks that are still unaccounted for.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
 
User avatar
IceCream
Posts: 470
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:46 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:07 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
IceCream wrote:
Where is this Twitter user getting their sources from? How do they know?


i dont know there source but i have my own and my friend says AUS is getting a new airline soon. VS makes sense

Makes sense.
 
flyoregon
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:29 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:51 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
IceCream wrote:
Where is this Twitter user getting their sources from? How do they know?


i dont know there source but i have my own and my friend says AUS is getting a new airline soon. VS makes sense


Must be 100% true then
 
nascar1
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:13 pm

That Twitter account is a very reliable source.
 
AC4500
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:30 pm

AUS makes sense, and it was between that and TPA as to what most people were guessing on here. I had my bets on TPA, but AUS certainly isn't very surprising.
 
aaexecplat
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: Virgin Atlantic to announce new US route

Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:50 pm

jetskipper wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:
jetskipper wrote:
Does AUS check the “Leisure” box? I understand that AUS has many great attributes, but no one from Europe is flying to Austin for holiday.


yes, its why SAS and DL flew EU to AUS in 2019 for SXSW


There are 51 weeks that are still unaccounted for.


It is too bad that there are so many who comment here that don't understand what is going on in Austin. 51 weeks are not unaccounted for. Here just a few more weeks of significant travel to AUS:

- SXSW = 3 weeks actually
- ACL = 2 weeks
- F1 = 2 weeks
- MotoGP = 1 week
- Dell Matchplay = 1 week

Beyond that, you have:

- a massive stag party / bridal party tourism sector these days that operates year-round
- a technology industry that is spending UNLIMITED money on its employees thanks to easy money from Venture Capital
- a huge amount of highly educated and highly paid white collar workers with deep pockets
- a massive contingent of non-Texans who live in Austin part-time
- a ridiculously growing real estate market where everyone is minting cash currently

If not for Covid travel restrictions, AUS could sustain all the current service to Europe and beyond and then some.
  • 1
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos