Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Flflyer83
Topic Author

Passenger jumps from WN aircraft taxiing in PHX

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:41 pm

https://www.12news.com/article/news/loc ... 5a6009856a

Should be charged with criminal trespassing at the very least.

RobertS975

Re: Passenger jumps from WN aircraft taxiing in PHX

Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:58 pm

So how did the galley door get opened without triggering the slide? They were not at the gate yet as far as I can tell.

jetmatt777

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:00 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
https://www.12news.com/article/news/local/man-jumps-from-southwest-airlines-plane-sky-harbor/75-6989c3cd-744b-40ea-ba01-3b5a6009856a

Should be charged with criminal trespassing at the very least.

Trespassing is a very tricky subject to prosecute, especially as felony it involves proving that you had intent to interfere with a business, or intent to commit a crime, intent to harm, etc. I.e. he boarded the airplane with the intent to jump out on the ramp in Phoenix and stand on the runway and interfere with air traffic. Having a panic attack and jumping out probably won’t get him criminal trespass. What will be the best chance of criminal trespass is his unwillingness to come out of his hiding spot for several minutes. Trespassing can be usually avoided if you agree to leave “when asked”. Once you refuse to leave after a request to leave you escalate it.

His attorney will have him plead an anxiety attack. And this will go away with a misdemeanor, $1000 fine, and 30 hours of community service - if that.

zuckie13

Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:20 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
So how did the galley door get opened without triggering the slide? They were not at the gate yet as far as I can tell.

Article does not say one way or the other about the slide. It should have triggered - cabin crew shouldn't have de-activated it until they were at the gate.

RobertS975

Sat Dec 04, 2021 11:49 pm

zuckie13 wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

Article does not say one way or the other about the slide. It should have triggered - cabin crew shouldn't have de-activated it until they were at the gate.

The article says the plane continued onward to the gate. That certainly wouldn't happen so easily if a slide was dangling out the door! For that matter, it is dangerous and perhaps even difficult for the door to be reckoned by a crew member inside of the plane.

robleroy121721

Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:45 am

RobertS975 wrote:
zuckie13 wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

The article says the plane continued onward to the gate. That certainly wouldn't happen so easily if a slide was dangling out the door! For that matter, it is dangerous and perhaps even difficult for the door to be reckoned by a crew member inside of the plane.

I'm inclined to think the slide might have definitely triggered but was removed. The article also states that the Captain stopped the plane when the incident occured; it might've given them the chance to detach the slide and let the plane continue to the gate. But oh well, just a theory so far until someone with more knowledge can actually give us better insight.

Italianflyer

Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:49 am

Allot of this doesn't make operational sense.
Let's get past the "REPORT 'IT' NOW" nonsense and wait for the whole story to unfold .

alasizon

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:07 am

Italianflyer wrote:
Let's get past the "REPORT 'IT' NOW" nonsense and wait for the whole story to unfold .

Nothing on this is really inaccurate. The passenger did jump out of the aft door right at the intersection of taxiway Sierra and Delta and onto the taxiway and then he made his way to the fire station which is right there.

As far as how the slide didn't deploy, I'm not sure exactly how but my best guess is one of the FAs quickly disarmed the slide while he was trying to get the handle on the door open. A 737 door can take a few seconds to open if you aren't familiar with it which is enough time to disarm the slide.

The aircraft has since flown PHX-ORD and ORD-DEN so obviously no slide deployment.

sprxUSA

Sun Dec 05, 2021 4:22 am

Figure pax knows how to disarm slide. Not too difficult to do....

FlyingElvii

Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:08 am

zuckie13 wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

“Should” and “What we really do so we can get off of this damn airplane as fast as we can” are two very different things.

Dalmd88

Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:10 pm

alasizon wrote:
Italianflyer wrote:

Nothing on this is really inaccurate. The passenger did jump out of the aft door right at the intersection of taxiway Sierra and Delta and onto the taxiway and then he made his way to the fire station which is right there.

As far as how the slide didn't deploy, I'm not sure exactly how but my best guess is one of the FAs quickly disarmed the slide while he was trying to get the handle on the door open. A 737 door can take a few seconds to open if you aren't familiar with it which is enough time to disarm the slide.

The aircraft has since flown PHX-ORD and ORD-DEN so obviously no slide deployment.

I doubt the FA disarmed the slide while the pax was attempting to open the door. On the 737 you disarm the slide by by removing the girt bar from the floor fittings. Very easy to do unless some one is standing at the door trying to move the handle. Also opening that door is about as simple as it gets. Move the handle in the direction of the red arrow and slightly push out.

As for the plane being returned to service, PHX I believe is a MTC base for WN. I would guess they have slides in stock. Installing a new slide pack on a 737 takes minutes. That one and the old DC9/MD80/717 packs are the simplest packs with no rigging required. Of course putting the old pack back to service is a shop visit.

bluecrew

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:15 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
Figure pax knows how to disarm slide. Not too difficult to do....

Probably not.

On the 737 you have to physically move the bar... just like the 727... and 707... might be time to innovate lol.

Though, notably, the 737 requires a distinct action of pulling the door and pushing it outwards in a fluid motion to actually deploy the slide pack. It's very easy to foul one of these slides and it won't deploy, or deploys unsafely. He probably opened the door, had no idea what he was doing, and the slide pack dropped but didn't trigger the cans of CO2 to blow the pack. At that point the FA would pull the manual inflation handle to deploy the slide.

Maverick623

Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:27 pm

Initial media reports were slighlty incorrect.

The plane was not at the gate, it was on Delta abeam Sierra. The slide did not deploy. The guy ran to the fire station (about 800 feet away) and tried to lock himself in one of the dorms. The firefighters were able to coax him out, and he was taken to the hospital for physical injuries and placed on a psych hold. After he was caught, the plane taxied under it's own power to the gate.

While he faces felony trespassing charges, he will likely just be committed as his family says there's a history of schizophrenia and he was hallucinating the last few days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos