Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

asuflyer
Topic Author

HEL Airport closes due to Snow/Ice

Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:28 pm

This evening December 10th Helsinki Airport has closed due to weather conditions. Typically Helsinki is generally good at handling winter conditions. The majority of Finnair’s late evening arrivals diverted to TLL and ARN.

https://www.finavia.fi/en/newsroom/2021 ... -few-hours

TWA772LR

Re: HEL Airport closes due to Snow/Ice

Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:30 pm

Isn't ice and snow a daily occurrence in Finland?

Boten

Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:37 pm

Freezing rain. It has been around -1 Celcius the whole evening while also raining. I took a walk 30 minutes ago and every single surface lateral and vertical is covered in ice. The conditions are just the right for the most treacherous ice build up.

JannEejit

Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:44 pm

TWA772LR wrote:

It is in northern Finland and Lapland. Helsinki is in the south and has a comparatively temperate climate, not unlike Scottish central belt cities of similar latitude like Glasgow or Edinburgh.

MareBorealis

Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:23 am

JannEejit wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

It is in northern Finland and Lapland. Helsinki is in the south and has a comparatively temperate climate, not unlike Scottish central belt cities of similar latitude like Glasgow or Edinburgh.

Heavy snowfalls and very low temperatures are not unknown in Helsinki and usually HEL deals them just fine. Freezing rain in this scale is something else, much harder to fight, luckily it's a rather rare weather condition in Helsinki.

Kikko19

Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:50 am

JannEejit wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Well i live in TLL, we had 10 days between - 10 and - 20 Celsius , with some area up to - 30 in Estonia. The problem is the upper layer of air is warm now on the plus side so it is raining. On the ground the cold air will last longer also thanks to snow so the rain freezes. Iot can be impossible to drive or even walk outside. In a if the temperature raises everything will be ok.

AA737-823

Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:19 am

For comparison, greetings from Anchorage (PANC).
While PANC airport can indeed handle just about anything that winter throws at them, the one exception is... FREEZING RAIN.
Most airlines' deice charts and tables won't let them fly in freezing rain conditions, anyway.
So. HEL has my sympathies!

MareBorealis

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:11 am

AA737-823 wrote:
While PANC airport can indeed handle just about anything that winter throws at them, the one exception is... FREEZING RAIN.
Most airlines' deice charts and tables won't let them fly in freezing rain conditions, anyway.

Thanks Anchorage, HEL wishes happy holidays :santahat: Yeah also airlines avoid freezing rain conditions, good point!

Skywatcher

Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:38 pm

As a fellow northern person (YUL) I can feel your pain. Freezing rain is for sure, by far the worst winter event. It screws up the best of winter (skiing, skating etc.) along with travel conditions of course.
Usually freezing rain is followed by a thaw however so hang in there.

TC957

Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:54 pm

JannEejit wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

Nonsense....GLA & EDI never gets to such low temperatures as HEL can experiece. Nor anywhere near as much snow.

davidjohnson6

Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:58 pm

Helsinki is at a latitude comparable to Shetland, offshore islands well to the north of the Scottish mainland.
Copenhagen (a lot further south) is at a latitude comparable to Edinburgh or Glasgow

Boten

Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:14 pm

Last nights AY1963 A350 to Dubai nearly veered off the runway due to slippery conditions. Had to be towed out, but was eventually able to depart 5 hours late.

Tail camera picture from onboard:

penguins

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:05 pm

Well, looks like it has finally happened: HEL has frozen over... :lol: :rotfl: :lol:

MareBorealis

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:10 pm

Boten wrote:
Last nights AY1963 A350 to Dubai nearly veered off the runway due to slippery conditions. Had to be towed out, but was eventually able to depart 5 hours late.

The real drama: a local paper reported there were F1 fans onboard, travelling to Abu Dhabi to witness Kimi Raikkonen's last race. They were afraid they'd miss the time trials but happy end after all.

TheZ

Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:37 pm

penguins wrote:
Well, looks like it has finally happened: HEL has frozen over... :lol: :rotfl: :lol:

Thank you, I was really hoping I'd find this in the thread somewhere!

BigGSFO

Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:13 am

penguins wrote:

I came here to say this! :-)

AntonioMartin

Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:11 am

The irony...Hel airport closed due to snow.......I guess it can snow in hel....... :devil: :lol:

aemoreira1981

Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:42 am

AA737-823 wrote:

Freezing rain is pretty much the worst weather to fight in terms of precipitation. When was the last time HEL closed before this?

JannEejit

Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:04 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Helsinki is at a latitude comparable to Shetland, offshore islands well to the north of the Scottish mainland.
Copenhagen (a lot further south) is at a latitude comparable to Edinburgh or Glasgow

I did say "comparatively similar" not identical. This was told to me by a local climatologist in Helsinki whilst I was working there several years ago. And who was I to doubt her ?

MareBorealis

Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:08 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
AA737-823 wrote:

Freezing rain is pretty much the worst weather to fight in terms of precipitation. When was the last time HEL closed before this?

The last time was 2003, according to the local paper.

MartijnNL

Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:02 am

TheZ wrote:
penguins wrote:

Thank you, I was really hoping I'd find this in the thread somewhere!

It was mentioned twice in the first few replies.
But it looks like those posts have been removed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos