Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UA444
Topic Author

Status of N797AL, the last DC-8 built at VCV

Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:25 am

This plane last flew for Emery Worldwide, which has been gone for over 20 years. It's been stored in VCV since April 2002 and in recent photos still is fully intact, with engines still on. It also still has a valid registration. Who owns this plane and is there any chance it will fly again? It's surprising it's lasted this long without being parted out and scrapped.

MO11

Re: Status of N797AL, the last DC-8 built at VCV

Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:59 am

UA444 wrote:
This plane last flew for Emery Worldwide, which has been gone for over 20 years. It's been stored in VCV since April 2002 and in recent photos still is fully intact, with engines still on. It also still has a valid registration. Who owns this plane and is there any chance it will fly again? It's surprising it's lasted this long without being parted out and scrapped.

It's owned by International Air Response, which also owns N995CF, which was last seen at VCV.

UA444
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:14 pm

MO11 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

It's owned by International Air Response, which also owns N995CF, which was last seen at VCV.

Who are they? I’ve never heard of them.

MO11

Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:59 pm

UA444 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

Who are they? I’ve never heard of them.

https://internationalairresponse.com/

Originally based at Gila River Memorial Airport, now moved over to KIWA. It also owns a 757 semi-combi parked at Roswell.

WayexTDI

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:06 pm

MO11 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

N797AL & N995CF are owned by Global Aviation Leasing, Wickenburg, AZ.
However, googling this company in AZ shows nothing (including on the AZ Secretary of State), and the address on the FAA registry is in the middle of nowhere.

Sounds like a shell company owning these 2 frames.

UA444
Topic Author

Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:54 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
MO11 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

However, googling this company in AZ shows nothing (including on the AZ Secretary of State), and the address on the FAA registry is in the middle of nowhere.

It gets even more bizarre. Clearly these two are kept around for some reason. I’ve seen photos of them being worked on and yet they haven’t flown for 20 years.

N995CF between 2012-2015 was painted all white too. Surely if there was no use for either of these planes they’d have long been scrapped.

Boeing757100

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:32 pm

Wow, she looks a bit dusty, but still relatively good after 21 years in storage! (photo from 2020)

I find it a bit interesting that her engines are still intact and doesn't have many (if any parts) removed from the airframe in general. However, I think something eye catching is that the flaps (and in general control surfaces) are not drooping. Take a look at this picture of another DC-8

The flaps are HEAVILY drooping, the ailerons are visibly stuck in one position, rudder is skewed sideways a bit. I remember someone else telling me that this is because there was a lack of hydraulic pressure in those systems so they start to droop and over time, if left in the same state, the drooping looks more pronounced. The ex ATI DC-8 which I showed was actually stored since 2017 (only 4 years) but N797AL was stored since 2001! The picture of it does not show the flaps drooping AS MUCH (yes still a little bit) and the rudder is still skewing but overall it looks pretty good. Perhaps some sort of C or D check could hypothetically return it to airworthiness (though that is probably never happening.) I gotta wonder, how many other DC-8s out there in the desert are in this decent of condition?

Just my two cents, anyone can correct me

bennett123

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:51 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
MO11 wrote:
UA444 wrote:

Is this a different company?

https://www.avjobs.com/aviation-compani ... a89&crct=1

lat41

Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:53 pm

I would have a bit more hope if these 2 birds at least had the CFM engines.

Boeing757100

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:29 pm

lat41 wrote:

Definitely. This bird for sure does not have at least hush kits so its likely barred from operating anywhere but in countries with lax restrictions. So its not coming back.

Perhaps someday Trans Air Cargo service of the DR Congo could use this bird (stretching the possibilities)?

Another idea is its parts being used to return N865F to service.

FX1816

Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:46 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
lat41 wrote:

Definitely. This bird for sure does not have at least hush kits so its likely barred from operating anywhere but in countries with lax restrictions. So its not coming back.

Perhaps someday Trans Air Cargo service of the DR Congo could use this bird (stretching the possibilities)?

Both of these DC-8's, N797AL and N995CF, most definitely do have hush kits but that only takes them to Stage III compliant. They were still flying for EWA as recently as 2001 so the upgrade was done. I used to work the ramp for Emery at ONT and was friends with some of the mechanics.

I will say, regarding these two DC-8's current situation, somebody does own them and takes care of them from time to time. I used to live a couple of miles from VCV and drove past it everyday coming home from work. There were a handful of times these planes were moved around and opened up. N797AL was even moved, briefly, to the "New" Arrivals ramp and I actually thought it might finally leave but it was eventually moved back. I did go over to the company that handles the stored airliners, don't remember the name, and asked if I could go out and take a tour of these DC-8's as I have worked with both of them but I was told that I could not get in them. I then asked if it was possible to buy one of the nose gear doors so I could have one and was told that these planes were not being dismantled. That was as recently as about 2017 and obviously about 8 years or so ago N995CF had its stripes removed.

MO11

Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:51 am

bennett123 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
MO11 wrote:

That is a different company. The "Global Aircraft Leasing" in Arizona is owned by the guy that owns IAR (the Wickenburg address is his house). In a previous version of the IAR website, it stated that it "operated" 2 DC-8-63s and a DC-8-62. The other DC-8-63 was N796AL, which was leased (sold?) to a Mexican operator (and has since been stored).

WayexTDI

Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:00 pm

bennett123 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
MO11 wrote:

Couldn't find a link between the 2, so I'm going to say they are different.

UA444
Topic Author

Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:00 pm

FX1816 wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
lat41 wrote:

Both of these DC-8's, N797AL and N995CF, most definitely do have hush kits but that only takes them to Stage III compliant. They were still flying for EWA as recently as 2001 so the upgrade was done. I used to work the ramp for Emery at ONT and was friends with some of the mechanics.

I will say, regarding these two DC-8's current situation, somebody does own them and takes care of them from time to time. I used to live a couple of miles from VCV and drove past it everyday coming home from work. There were a handful of times these planes were moved around and opened up. N797AL was even moved, briefly, to the "New" Arrivals ramp and I actually thought it might finally leave but it was eventually moved back. I did go over to the company that handles the stored airliners, don't remember the name, and asked if I could go out and take a tour of these DC-8's as I have worked with both of them but I was told that I could not get in them. I then asked if it was possible to buy one of the nose gear doors so I could have one and was told that these planes were not being dismantled. That was as recently as about 2017 and obviously about 8 years or so ago N995CF had its stripes removed.

Thanks for the information. That they're still maintained and not having parts pulled from them is a welcome surprise. The owners have to have some sort of plan to fly them, but you'd think they'd execute it at this point.

FX1816

Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:59 pm

UA444 wrote:
FX1816 wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:

Thanks for the information. That they're still maintained and not having parts pulled from them is a welcome surprise. The owners have to have some sort of plan to fly them, but you'd think they'd execute it at this point.

You're welcome. I really wanted to get a piece, preferably a nose gear door from one of them. It's becoming less frequent that they get "looked" at but they still move from time to time, mostly due to all of the aircraft out there at VCV over the past 3 plus years, starting with the MAX groundings. I really do miss those birds though, I loaded/unloaded them plenty of times from 1998-2001.

SEPilot

Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:48 pm

Seeing that in the next few years there will be a lot of relatively young airliners retired due to COVID (new airliners ordered based on previous demand and the airlines unable to get out of the contracts and hence ending up with too many planes) I see the likelihood of these ever flying again pretty remote, unless as a VIP. I think even a group like Samaritan’s Purse would find a deal on something like a 767 more attractive due to lower fuel and maintenance costs.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos