Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

F9Animal
Topic Author

Gulfstream IV Crash Dominican Republic

Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:54 am

News breaking of a Gulfstream G-IV Down in the Dominican Republic. Details are a bit sketchy, but it appears 9 were killed. Apparently the pilot radioed he was returning to the airport after an emergency.

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/12/9 ... c-airport/

wjcandee

Re: Gulfstream IV Crash Dominican Republic

Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:43 am

Sad. Good corporate aviation is pretty-darn safe, but it just isn't as safe as commercial. And it's not like they don't have First Class on flights between the DR and MIA.

FlyingElvii

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:22 am

Not a U.S. aircraft, Helidosa Aviation Group, in Santo Domingo is the owner.
Plane did numerous touch-n-go’s on Monday, and a couple of more yesterday. (To me, that says new Pilot checkout, or maintenance?)

From the article:
“ Six of the passengers were identified as American citizens, including 38-year-old music producer José Ángel Hernández, who is better known as Flow La Movie. His work included the 2017 song “Te Boté Remix,” which scored nearly 2.3 billion views on YouTube alone, making it one of the most-watched videos of all-time.”

GulfStream crashes are pretty rare. Big money airplanes, and the owners usually pay top dollar for the best pilots, but this was not a U.S. operation.

There have been a couple of incidents caused by not removing the control locks on one side or the other.

HIA350

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:30 am

One of the victim brother said the company knew about A/C couldn't fly due to maintenance issues, but they decided to go ahead
it's unclear at the time what happened but if you know Spanish you could learn more at Remolacha.net

FlyingElvii

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:31 am

I thought I had heard of this operator before…
Owner is/was a candidate for President of the DR.

From last year:
“ Tareck is a Hezbollah-friendly drug dealer that calls himself the vicepresident of the Venezuelan dictatorship.

His “business” travel includes places like the Dominican Republic and Victor Mones Coro coordinated many of his charter flights with planes owned by Helidosa.”

https://twitter.com/pico87mn/status/1274944752090316804

FlyingElvii

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:55 am

Helidosa seems to be one of those operators that runs on the edge of legalities. Frankly, that isn’t very unusual in the Carib.

Lots of interesting stuff about this company and the owner once you start digging, like being fined by Canada for operating there without a license or Permit, getting Government loans out of nowhere, violating the Venezuela sanctions, and transporting some of the people involved in the assassination of the President of Haiti and the attempted coup.

I am sure there is more…

F9Animal
Topic Author

Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:10 am

FlyingElvii wrote:
Helidosa seems to be one of those operators that runs on the edge of legalities. Frankly, that isn’t very unusual in the Carib.

Lots of interesting stuff about this company and the owner once you start digging, like being fined by Canada for operating there without a license or Permit, getting Government loans out of nowhere, violating the Venezuela sanctions, and transporting some of the people involved in the assassination of the President of Haiti and the attempted coup.

I am sure there is more…

That is just scary! Apparently one of the passengers was a celebrity. Flow La Movie was an artist and producer. I would be curious if there is anyone known recordings from ATC? Apparently after they took off, the pilot reported an emergency and asked to return back to the airport.

If I ever become a celebrity, I am strictly flying commercial. Too many celebrities have died in private plane accidents.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:05 pm

F9Animal wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

I am sure there is more…

That is just scary! Apparently one of the passengers was a celebrity. Flow La Movie was an artist and producer. I would be curious if there is anyone known recordings from ATC? Apparently after they took off, the pilot reported an emergency and asked to return back to the airport.

If I ever become a celebrity, I am strictly flying commercial. Too many celebrities have died in private plane accidents.

Because too many celebrities don’t give a hoot about safety or spending the money necessary to provide safety. Every private jet accident involves somebody, usually the customer, trying to cheat on cost. You don’t see this happening outside of the charter business.

Rumors elsewhere are the plane had a hydraulic failure on the previous flight and the pilots didn’t want to go but were pressured by either the operator or passengers to go. They did and had another complete hydraulic failure. Manual reversion, accumulator brakes and maybe little or no flaps. The GIV is pretty dependent on the one utility system.

FlyingElvii

Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:52 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
F9Animal wrote:
FlyingElvii wrote:

I am sure there is more…

Because too many celebrities don’t give a hoot about safety or spending the money necessary to provide safety. Every private jet accident involves somebody, usually the customer, trying to cheat on cost. You don’t see this happening outside of the charter business.

Rumors elsewhere are the plane had a hydraulic failure on the previous flight and the pilots didn’t want to go but were pressured by either the operator or passengers to go. They did and had another complete hydraulic failure. Manual reversion, accumulator brakes and maybe little or no flaps. The GIV is pretty dependent on the one utility system.

I wish I could disagree with you, but I can’t…
Lost a friend a couple of years ago in an accident involving a “134 1/2” operator.

se210

Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:35 pm

Interesting flight today from MSP for another Helidosa Gulfstream: HI1025

https://globe.adsbexchange.com/?icao=0c414f&lat=44.437&lon=-92.856&zoom=8.0&showTrace=2021-12-17&leg=3

clrd4t8koff

Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:40 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Sad. Good corporate aviation is pretty-darn safe, but it just isn't as safe as commercial. And it's not like they don't have First Class on flights between the DR and MIA.

Well they were going to MCO not MIA…..so there’s that. Maybe no airlines have a non-stop DR-MCO with First Class??

“ The plane, carrying seven passengers and two crew members, was bound for Orlando, Florida, when it went down while trying to land shortly after taking off from El Higüero airport, the aircraft’s operating company, Helidosa Aviation Group, said on Twitter.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... crash/amp/

wjcandee

Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:57 pm

clrd4t8koff wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Well they were going to MCO not MIA…..so there’s that. Maybe no airlines have a non-stop DR-MCO with First Class??/

Well, there's the original article linked in the original post, which stated, "The Gulfstream IV aircraft, which was operated by the Helidosa Aviation Group, took off from La Isabela International Airport in the Dominican Republic on Wednesday afternoon for a flight to Miami in the U.S. state of Florida." https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/12/9 ... c-airport/

If the information has since been updated, swell.

You're right, no nonstops with First Class, as the route is flown nonstop by JetBlue, Spirit and Frontier. One could tough it out in Spirit's Big Front Seat, save a little dough, and live, though.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:27 pm

But, then, the pax are big shots showing up at the FBO and they can’t pressure a crew to fly an airplane with hydraulic problems they didn’t want to fly with. The G IV has become the new Lear 35 at marginal operators—cheap to acquire, showy and lots of marginal crews. Look at the Flight Aware track—with utility system out, manual reversion, not good.

SteinarN

Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:30 pm

Any link to the Flight Aware track?

Thanks in advance :)

airportugal310

Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:53 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
...The G IV has become the new Lear 35 at marginal operators—cheap to acquire, showy and lots of marginal crews...

Interesting you should mention that, as that seems to be the impression I have gotten as of late as well...

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:57 pm

SteinarN wrote:
Any link to the Flight Aware track?

Thanks in advance :)

I can’t link it for some reason, just search for HI1050 GLF4 in Flight Radar or Flight Aware. It shows up quick.

While I don’t have much faith in Simmers using public Flight Aware data to create videos, here goes.

https://youtu.be/H7rupzA6ayE

If final approach was three times as long, it’d be too short, assuming loss of hydraulics and manual reversion landing.

se210

Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:23 am

SteinarN

Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:50 am

Thanks!
It was a short flight. It seems the airspeed vas somewhat ok, but pitch control was not there at all.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:18 am

Airspeed on final was probably 40 knots too high and the final should have been about 5-7 miles long instead of a 1/2 mile at best, more like a few hundred yards.

a318

Sat Dec 18, 2021 2:04 am

3 crew members were onboard - 2 pilots and 1 flight attendant. It was the flight attendant’s first flight. RIP.

se210

Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:08 pm

The Aviation Safety Network (ASN) - HI1050 website link was updated on January 21, 2022 to include information from the Preliminary report on the crash of HI1050 from the Dominican Republic CIAA (Comisión Investigadora de Accidentes de Aviación) and now reads:

"Preliminary investigation results shared by the Dominican Comisión Investigadora de Accidentes de Aviación (CIAA) on January 18, 2022, point towards a spoiler issue.
The accident aircraft arrived at Higuero/La Isabela-Dr. Joaquín Balaguer Airport at 12:35 local time on the day of the accident following a flight from San Juan, Puerto Rico. The aircraft was subsequently towed to the Helidosa hangar for maintenance. The company worked for three hours to replace the ground spoiler actuators on the right-hand wing.
The aircraft was then towed back to the apron for a flight to Orlando, Florida, USA. According to CCTV footage, the flight crew did a flight control check. The spoilers on both wings extended, but only those on the left wing retracted again. The aircraft was then seen taxiing for departure with the three spoilers on the right wing still extended.
After takeoff flight control problems developed immediately. The flight crew declared an emergency and requested vectors back to the airport. As the situation progressed, they decided to divert to Las Américas International Airport, where they were cleared to land on runway 35. On final approach the aircraft hit trees and then the terrain about 200 meters to the right of the runway. The total duration of the flight was about 16 minutes."

Here is the full Preliminary report from the Dominican Republic CIAA (PDF format; in Spanish) starting at Page 8 showing a picture from the CCTV footage of HI1050's right wing spoilers extended during taxiing before takeoff:

Informe Preliminar CIAA108-21 HI-1050

wjcandee

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:05 pm

I can sorta read spanish because I speak French. However, Google Translate now translates full documents. I was pretty-impressed by the speed and accuracy of the result. I just downloaded the PDF to my computer and used Google Translate to translate it.

Terrible. It sounds like the crew never understood what the actual issue was. What a goatrope. A rushed changed of spoiler actuators while the customers waited, rolling the thing out of the hangar with 5 mechanics under the wing still working on it, a control check that leaves the right spoiler extended, which nobody noticed but the security video thankfully recorded.

So it wasn't a hydraulic failure, it was that the whole accident flight, from the takeoff roll, was flown with the right spoilers extended but not the left, after replacement of the right spoiler actuators had been accomplished in a quickie repair while the customer waited.

Consistent with some comments here earlier, there was a different aircraft available to replace this one, but the customer wanted to fly on this particular aircraft, so they accommodated him.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos