Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JannEejit

Re: Icelandair new livery

Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:54 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
vhtje wrote:
Agree with the 'cheapening' comments above.

Why can't we have an Iceland-themed livery, a la Frontier, but with Icelandic scenes and imagery?

The two painted 757's with the aurora and glacier liveries are great examples of Icelandic imagery. I had hoped a third using fiery volcanic reds and orange tones would appear but sadly no. But who's to say Icelandair won8 produce a couple of unique originals in future, despite this new overall look ?

I don't have it confirmed by any means, but rumors say a a 3rd volcano 757 was in the final stages of planning but got pulled because they didn't like associating fire with aviation.

Or maybe just volcanos with aviation after one of their own almost put them out of business ? :roll:

Polot

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:22 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
NickWebb wrote:
Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
Really awful and basically the same as Lufthansa, SAS, Qantas, aer lingus where the tail colour is stretched down on the rear fuselage g
Why does every airline have to use the same theme?

Cost, plus the basic shape of the aircraft!

So white paint is cheaper than other colours? And as it seems, some airlines have no problems with the shape of the aircraft fuselage (Like BA, Hawaiian, Vietnam........).

White paint is usually cheaper and lighter. Also easier to repaint/touch up.

SRQKEF

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:38 pm

JannEejit wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
JannEejit wrote:

The two painted 757's with the aurora and glacier liveries are great examples of Icelandic imagery. I had hoped a third using fiery volcanic reds and orange tones would appear but sadly no. But who's to say Icelandair won8 produce a couple of unique originals in future, despite this new overall look ?

I don't have it confirmed by any means, but rumors say a a 3rd volcano 757 was in the final stages of planning but got pulled because they didn't like associating fire with aviation.

Or maybe just volcanos with aviation after one of their own almost put them out of business ? :roll:

I mean, all 757s/767s are named after volcanoes so... :mrgreen:

Funnily enough FI was one of the least affected airlines by Eyjafjallajökull as easterly winds meant KEF largely stayed open, and when not AEY did so they had a GLA scissor hub from there. Also, all the international coverage of the eruption and resulting boom in Icelandic tourism more than paid up for the short term hit.

toxtethogrady

Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:59 pm

Truth be known, the only reason they changed their livery is to post their name in big letters on the side of the airplane.

BoeingG

Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:13 pm

...why?

Puerile. Uncouth. Unnecessary. It lacks a semblance of elegance. Spatterings of blinding (and arbitrary?) colors and aggressively large lettering are fitting for a lowbrow LCC—not a flag carrier. Reminds me of a specter that "Wowed" itself into bankruptcy.

Is this FI's attempt at appealing to Icelandic youngins? If so, they've failed spectacularly.

Just sloppy.

-BoG

NameOmitted

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:37 am

Yellow does not render well on digital devices, especially now that it's in vogue for amber-shifting screens to help people sleep at the correct times. I'm not a fan of the new livery, but it is probably a much better livery for branding across mobile phones, or general advertising.

phatfarmlines

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:47 am

So paying homage to WOW/PLAY with the different color stripe on the tail?

Oh, and Qantas called. It said it wants the tail livery concept going beyond the tail back.

Devilfish

Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:25 pm

JetBuddy wrote:
The F on the tail will make normal people think Finnair.

It isn't :?: :? :banghead: :silly:

vhtje wrote:
Why can't we have an Iceland-themed livery, a la Frontier, but with Icelandic scenes and imagery?

:idea: Great idea..... :bigthumbsup:

https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/media/ ... 9060000000

mercure1

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:37 pm

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:57 pm

mercure1 wrote:

Isn't that TF-ICE?

ikolkyo

Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:27 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Isn't that TF-ICE?

I would agree with this since -ICE is at Norwich and that is clearly a MAX 8 pictured.

Acey

Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm

Looks like Alaska, Transat, WestJet... everyone is going with this style now and there's no variety.

TKflyer

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:57 pm

This previous painting was very successful and had a high recognition value. That made Icelandair what it was.

The new painting failed, my opinion!
Of course you can say that the Icelandic national flag or the northern lights could have been used better, but not like this ....
Like lately with all these airlines, eurowhite like Lufthansa, Alaska, AerLingus – a bit all of all them.
All of these have lost recognition.
And also now Icelandair.
Hopefully not soon Korean Air

2eng2efficient

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:27 pm

Although as an Avgeek, I don’t love it, I understand it from a marketing perspective.

A few years back, I was a pax departing from SEA on a UA flight, seated in Y. As we taxied out to 16L for departure, we passed the remote ramp area north of the N gates by FedEx’s ramp. There was an Icelandair 752 parked there parallel to the taxiway so you could see the whole plane.

Someone in the group in front of me asked to his seat mates, “What airline is that? With the yellow?”

I heard a reply, “I don’t know - never seen that one before.” End of conversation, who cares.

With the giant billboard titles, perhaps those people would have recognized right away, ICELANDAIR. The current titles don’t pop out to the average flier.

Of course, had those folks noticed Icelandair, I’m sure their reply would have been, “What are they doing all the way out here in Seattle!?”

(For the record I’ve heard similar comments about Alaska Airlines in places like Florida)

bradleybygrave

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:30 pm

They have wanted to change the tail logo for some time. It was a very costly design as it had to be airbrushed, its not just the tail either, both sides of the winglets have the logo. It was always interesting to watch the logo get airbrushed on, it required a lot of skill.

To save some money, I believe that the MAXs got delivered with a solid orange shape painted on the tail and then a decal was placed over the top.

From a visual stand point it is a shame to see it go, but from a financial side it makes a lot of sense.

dannynoble

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:42 pm

I guess i am in the minority and like it. granted the yellow and pink are not as nice as the blue on blue. I am a minimalist when it comes to airlines. as long as i can get 31 inches of pitch, the airline is safe, and i can at least get free water on a trip over 6 hrs then i am fine. oh i forgot need individual air vents. i flew air europa in 2021 and the only negative about them was no individual air vents. i felt like i was in a sauna the whole 9 hrs on the plane. in the race to the bottom you have to trim your expectations the bare minimum either that or fly private. pay minimum fares get minimum service.

N766UA

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:52 pm

[quote="dannynoble"]I guess i am in the minority and like it./quote]

It's WAY better than that half-baked livery they rolled out with the Max. I'd rather see more yellow, and I love the old livery, but it's fine.

CarlosSi

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:08 pm

Though I do like the new livery (the logo itself IMO should also be colored), this is also a colored tail, bold titles in the making livery. But it's good I suppose.

PA110

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:46 pm

I would argue that the only folks who really care about liveries are:
1. The folks in marketing who have to create the advertising
2. The folks in finance who have to pay for it
3. A Nutters

Most of the flying public is utterly oblivious.

asuflyer

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:24 pm

TF-ICE emerged from the paintshop in Norwich and positioned to KEF today.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/186951446 ... 848284799/

Delta777Jet

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:46 pm

Dull , cheap , lowcost … I have no other words for this livery

BWIAirport

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:55 pm

Lol, if you replaced "Iceland" with "Ryan" on that livery I wouldn't even bat an eye

ER757

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:00 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Lol, if you replaced "Iceland" with "Ryan" on that livery I wouldn't even bat an eye

My thoughts exactly. Not of fan of the new look

TexasAirCorp

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:32 pm

asuflyer wrote:

It looks better than I expected, however still looks dreadful.

MrHMSH

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:42 pm

asuflyer wrote:

Decidedly 'Meh'.

KaiH96

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:45 pm

This is a rebranding disaster
Icelandair could’ve done a much better job on making their new livery, I understand having white and blue as the main colours having the other colours just completely throws it out of proportion

bradleybygrave

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:56 pm

I managed to get it leaving Norwich Airport today after a repaint.

I massively prefer the now 'old' look, but it is at least abit more interesting than most euro white schemes in that it has billboard titles and not a tiny little name.

Icelandair | Boeing 737-8 MAX | TF-ICE by Bradley Bygrave, on Flickr

lostsound

Fri Jan 28, 2022 6:58 pm

Looks great honestly. Love the subtle nod to the Northern lights with the different variations. Anything further would have been corny. The old livery while regal, is not timeless so it was due for a change.

seahawks7757

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:01 pm

Compared to the half assed paint job that the MAX were originally delivered in lacking the blue belly and logo on the winglet, this looks a lot better.

by738

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:12 pm

lostsound wrote:
Looks great honestly.

Agree. Fresh, clean. can’t wait to see the other colour versions
Last edited by by738 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilfish

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:18 pm

I still like SAL the salmon -- perhaps followed by CODY the cod, on the tail..... :duck:

TWA302

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:37 pm

KaiH96 wrote:
This is a rebranding disaster
Icelandair could’ve done a much better job on making their new livery, I understand having white and blue as the main colours having the other colours just completely throws it out of proportion

I am sure that every passenger that boards their planes will have the same feeling and those with upcoming flights will cancel because of a design and colors on the aircraft. :roll:

I don't understand why people here get so bent out of shape over livery changes.

freakyrat

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:51 pm

It actually looks great. The reason fro the billboard liveries besides name recognition is they save on paint weight.

seat1a

Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:56 pm

fresh, clean, not bad. i just wonder where has branding gone, to over-simplified? it's like marketing is out of ideas. like auto companies - we're at a standstill for creative new design, so we reach back to 1950's and 1960's for design cues. as for airlines, it's all billboard and no detail, unlike the american lightening bolt, saul bass united, and braniff.

ozark1

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 pm

I think the current livery is really crisp and beautiful. The yellow and blue combo is stunning. The new one is simply tacky, especially replacing yellow with pink next to blue? I guess no one cares except those of us interested in commercial aviation.

rdhnvegas

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:05 pm

seat1a wrote:
fresh, clean, not bad. i just wonder where has branding gone, to over-simplified? it's like marketing is out of ideas. like auto companies - we're at a standstill for creative new design, so we reach back to 1950's and 1960's for design cues. as for airlines, it's all billboard and no detail, unlike the american lightening bolt, saul bass united, and braniff.

I remember an article a couple years back comparing branding from the 90's to now. Essentially, they said the "younger" generations (millennials and gen z) are attracted to minimalism, which is why major fashion labels shifted to minimalism before anyone. It's trickled its way down to airlines, unfortunately.. While the livery isn't bad, it's just subpar to previous liveries they've had. I'm interested in seeing the different color bands on the tails, specifically the bright magenta. A terminal full of new livery tails would be a great photo to see, though!

ozark1

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:08 pm

Ok so it looks like maybe they aren't going with pink and instead will use a lighter blue/aqua color. That is much more tolerable but i won't ever understand why they would ruin it with humongous lettering.

Polot

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:13 pm

ozark1 wrote:
Ok so it looks like maybe they aren't going with pink and instead will use a lighter blue/aqua color. That is much more tolerable but i won't ever understand why they would ruin it with humongous lettering.

Different planes will have different secondary colors (light blue, yellow, pink, or an even lighter blue). This one happens to be one of the light blue frames.

TWA302

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:25 pm

ozark1 wrote:

The four schemes.

hloutweg

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:46 pm

Without a doubt this is set to become a world iconic livery. Bravo Icelandair!!

FlyingRocks

Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:52 pm

First reaction: oh boy this doesn't look so good
After a while: Uhhhhh, I think it looks better on their 737 MAX's than their 757s but I think I will eventually like it over time. I still prefer the gold livery though, its iconic to me imo.

Airdolomiti

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:25 pm

TWA302 wrote:
ozark1 wrote:

The four schemes.

I like the idea of using different accent colours - when the whole fleet is lined up, it’s actually pretty neat. My main gripe, however, is that each aircraft on its own looks either very dull or very similar to existing liveries.

It’s a livery that can come to life when it’s in a group, and that will essentially only be the case at KEF, but not at any other airport outside Iceland.

CDGIAD

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:32 pm

TWA302 wrote:
ozark1 wrote:

The four schemes.

I really don't see how pink fit in Icelandic landscapes.
Blue (sea), light blue (glaciers), red (houses), green (grass fields) and black (lava fields) are the only colors that make sense.

LifelinerOne

Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:41 pm

In their press-release of today, Icelandair states they will have five colors and will have five aircraft in the new livery by the end of next month. After that repainting will be done when a plane is due for maintenance.

They also gave a bit of more background information on the color palette:

* The midnight blue is our heritage color and the backdrop to the dancing auroras.
* The snow white represents our glaciers.
* The boreal blue is a representation of the northern lights.
* The magenta signifies the collective creative power of Iceland, with just a hint of sunrise.
* The crisp blue is the Icelandic summer sky that’s filled with light.
* The golden yellow is the sun reflecting off waterfalls, glaciers, and even simmering magma.
* The green represents the life that can be found even after the harshest of events.

The aircraft delivered today is wearing the sky blue (crisp blue) color.

I think it’s a big improvement over the livery they introduced with the MAX. That one screamed cheap.

Cheers! :wave:

SRQKEF

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:37 pm

CDGIAD wrote:
TWA302 wrote:
ozark1 wrote:

The four schemes.

I really don't see how pink fit in Icelandic landscapes.
Blue (sea), light blue (glaciers), red (houses), green (grass fields) and black (lava fields) are the only colors that make sense.

Pink (magenta) is actually derived from the strongest aurora shows, see photo:

Searching for "aurora iceland" gives you many similar results. :)

UARNO88

Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:54 pm

Yeah, another billboard title. That alone makes me give it a thumbs down. Airline liveries all follow the same route these days. Boring.

BudSpencer

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:35 pm

I liked it from the first look and I do even more when seeing the finished product on a real airplane. The old one with the blue belly and the yellow engines wasn't bad, but nothing special to me (exept that something was yellow that would have been blue or grey at other airlines).

I love liveries that differ from plane to plane, but still keep a common style. That's why I like the idea of the stripe in front of the tail, appering in different colors on different planes . It has something refreshing when seen on many planes at the same time (That's also the reason why one of my all time favourites have been BA with the World Tails!!).
The one that I fould really bad was the interim livery that came with their 737MAX. That one looked to me like a very cheap version of their old one. Glad that one won't spread on any more planes.

And hey, if liveries really didn't matter at all exept for avgeeks, then every airliner in the would look like JAL, just with a different logo, wouldn't they? ;-)

SRQKEF

Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:42 pm

TWA302 wrote:
ozark1 wrote:

The four schemes.

There's also a fifth one where the line is green.

seahawks7757

Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:04 am

Three of the five new tail colors in the latest artist rendition. Honestly, I really like it since Icelandair never gave the Max the full proper color scheme.

Below is TF-ICE arriving in KEF. Photos from Icelandair

Speedalive

Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:36 am

seahawks7757 wrote:

Three of the five new tail colors in the latest artist rendition. Honestly, I really like it since Icelandair never gave the Max the full proper color scheme.

Below is TF-ICE arriving in KEF. Photos from Icelandair

It looks so good with the rainy backdrop 8-)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos