Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jplatts

Re: Qantas planning Chicago, Seattle

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:24 pm

If QF adds service to SEA, there would be some connecting opportunities through SEA from QF flights to some AS destinations in the Northwest, Midwest, Northeast, and Western Canada.

There would be connecting opportunities to AA destinations in the eastern half of the Midwest, the Northeastern U.S., and Eastern Canada from QF flights to ORD if QF adds service out of ORD.

OzarkD9S

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:25 pm

No mention of PHX? Too close to LAX maybe...but still a oneworld hub.

SeaDoo

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:25 pm

Will SEA be to BNE or SYD?

ER757

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:39 pm

SeaDoo wrote:

I believe it would be SYD - at least that was the buzz around the possible announcement pre-COVID.

dc10lover

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:50 pm

SeaDoo wrote:

They would serve the largest city which is syd I believe.

Rookie87

Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:59 pm

I’m curious about something and can someone shine some light on it please. Joyce mentions receiving 787s in July…Boeing should be delivering by then or prior to that?

BoeingGuy

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:06 pm

He said QF is “keen on Seattle”. That doesn’t mean they are planning on it anytime soon. Just like CI said 5-6 years ago they were keen on re-starting SEA. Still hasn’t happened.

I hope QF starts SEA, but we are exaggerating his comments.

Opus99

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
I’m curious about something and can someone shine some light on it please. Joyce mentions receiving 787s in July…Boeing should be delivering by then or prior to that?

Boeing is aiming to restart in April

jplatts

Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:16 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

Most of the destinations that AA serves nonstop from PHX already have AA nonstop service out of DFW, AA nonstop service out of LAX, and/or AS nonstop service out of LAX.

Most of the destinations that would require a double-connect through PHX on AA from QF Australia-LAX flights are smaller markets in the Western U.S., Upper Midwest, or Mexico.

QF does not have a need to serve PHX with the connecting options that are already there onto AA flights out of DFW/LAX and AS flights out of LAX.

sfojvjets

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:26 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
He said QF is “keen on Seattle”. That doesn’t mean they are planning on it anytime soon. Just like CI said 5-6 years ago they were keen on re-starting SEA. Still hasn’t happened.

Things are different though... we know how reliant QF is on partner hubs for feed, whereas CI serves the diaspora (ie, why they serve Ontario California but not SEA, a DL partner hub). I can see QF launching SYD-SEA in a couple years or so, given the feed/loyalty they would have being tied up with AS. Again, DL is the ultimate loser, having lost VA to UA. Big ouch.

If not QF, I always wondered if FJ would start service to SEA. They could provide smooth one-stop options for travelers, as well as open up FJ to tourism from the PNW. Although Fiji's fleet is probably stretched a little thin during the holiday times... They need a couple more 330s or 1 more 350.

sfojvjets

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:28 pm

OzarkD9S wrote:

And I'm guessing there's also considerably less economic activity when compared to SEA/ORD/LAX/SFO/DFW etc, which are all current or prospective QF destinations.

casperCA

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:45 pm

jplatts wrote:
If QF adds service to SEA, there would be some connecting opportunities through SEA from QF flights to some AS destinations in the Northwest, Midwest, Northeast, and Western Canada.

There would be connecting opportunities to AA destinations in the eastern half of the Midwest, the Northeastern U.S., and Eastern Canada from QF flights to ORD if QF adds service out of ORD.

Not certain how much traffic they will pickup through Seattle from Canada given they already have flights to Vancouver and a partnership with WestJet.

FedexL1011

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:49 pm

The article in OP clearly quotes the CEO as saying they have always wanted to consider Seattle. Given the rate of things in international travel and the delay in 787 to QF I do not think they will firm plans to serve Seattle anytime soon. Also another consideration will be Seattle’s problem no one is addressing and very limited gating with regards to international arrivals. As someone who works at the airport I can tell you the amount of gates available for new carriers is very limited, even with the new arrivals facility.

TheZ

Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:12 pm

This would be a great add for SEA! I really hope it happens, have always wanted to see them here and be able to take a direct flight.

Kent350787

Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:57 pm

There is still a strong school of thought that direct flights will be preference post-COVID. I'm still to be convinced by SEA (although the cruise industry has been mentioned), but ORD seems logical in looking to connect major cities direct.

DFW was not-LAX to connect to other places in the US. Noone in Australia actually wants to go to Dallas!

OA412

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:05 pm

Please remain on topic and keep politics out of the discussion. Thinly veiled politics is still politics and belongs in non aviation. Thanks!

BigGSFO

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:47 pm

If QF started Seattle-Australia, I wonder if there would be a decent capture of BC residents?

wedgetail737

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:57 pm

BigGSFO wrote:
If QF started Seattle-Australia, I wonder if there would be a decent capture of BC residents?

Maybe some...but keep in mind that QF already serves YVR.

Sydscott

Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:59 pm

Remembering also that ORD would be a resumption of service on BNE-ORD.

TBH I can't see QF on SYD-SEA direct services as there isn't really anywhere that you can connect on in SEA that you can't do from LAX / SFO / ORD or DFW. Canada is covered via QF service to YVR and out any of those cities. So unless some corporate contracts drop for QF from the SEA multi-nationals I don't see it happening,

Aliqiout

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:00 am

BigGSFO wrote:

Not much, they already serve YVR and adding a long drive with a border connection or a connecting flight with the need to go through U.S. Immigration will only attract the most price conscious passengers and only if the SEA flights are significantly cheaper.

SCFlyer

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:47 am

BNE-ORD would be a Pre-Sunrise route, although if the BNE-ORD only O&D numbers ended up being strong in a few years, similar to the PER-LHR only O&D passengers on those flights prior to COVID, there would be a slim chance of BNE-ORD being retained at a reduced frequency (e.g x3 weekly) post-Sunrise.

tullamarine

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:01 am

SCFlyer wrote:
BNE-ORD would be a Pre-Sunrise route, although if the BNE-ORD only O&D numbers ended up being strong in a few years, similar to the PER-LHR only O&D passengers on those flights prior to COVID, there would be a slim chance of BNE-ORD being retained at a reduced frequency (e.g x3 weekly) post-Sunrise.

A direct ORD flight has to be able to survive on O&D plus those connecting locally where direct connections from LAX or DFW are not available. There is no magic in making ORD a one-stop into New York. It is no shorter than going via LAX or DFW and ORD is more likely to suffer delays than the other two particularly during the northern winter.

DCA350

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:06 am

The 787 can make SYD from ORD? That's impressive.. I thought that would be a sunrise route..

SCFlyer

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:18 am

DCA350 wrote:
The 787 can make SYD from ORD? That's impressive.. I thought that would be a sunrise route..

Not with a full payload, hence why it's being planned to be operated as a BNE-ORD service for the meantime until Sunrise with the A350ULRs comes into fruition.

gunsontheroof

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:19 am

Even before AS joined OW, I thought that SEA might have a shot at QF starting service since they finally had an aircraft that made sense for the route in the 789. As SEA continues to attract service I wouldn't have considered likely (QR, TK, AY), it seems like less of a pipe dream, but still not a certainty. The OW hub will definitely help the business case. I'm definitely rooting for this one, QF is pretty much the last carrier last carrier not serving SEA that I really want to see come to town (not that I won't take any gravy that anyone else sends our way).

tullamarine

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:28 am

DCA350 wrote:

It can just do SYD-ORD but can't reliably do ORD-SYD westbound.

Tedjamvor

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:31 am

dc10lover wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:

MEL is bigger, but too far south and worse for connections.

tullamarine

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:47 am

Tedjamvor wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:

SYD is currently the bigger city though MEL will pass it population-wise in the next 15 years. SYD will still remain the larger market for int'l arrivals however due to its much larger inbound tourist market as well as leadership in the finance sector.

wedgetail737

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:29 am

gunsontheroof wrote:
Even before AS joined OW, I thought that SEA might have a shot at QF starting service since they finally had an aircraft that made sense for the route in the 789. As SEA continues to attract service I wouldn't have considered likely (QR, TK, AY), it seems like less of a pipe dream, but still not a certainty. The OW hub will definitely help the business case. I'm definitely rooting for this one, QF is pretty much the last carrier last carrier not serving SEA that I really want to see come to town (not that I won't take any gravy that anyone else sends our way).

I think QF on the SYD-SEA would make perfect sense as you mentioned, especially now that AS is with OW. Before OW, QF was already an AS partner.

Not to be too off-topic but related to your post specifically, I would like to see CX return to SEA.

TK hasn't officially announced SEA, but I think it's imminent.

NTLDaz

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:33 am

Tedjamvor wrote:
dc10lover wrote:
SeaDoo wrote:

Sydney and Melbourne are essentially the same size. Apart from Melbourne being further south Sydney gets much more international tourism than Melbourne. NSW also has quite a bit larger population than Victoria ( about 20% ) so that adds to it as well. Sydney has a larger GDP than Melbourne and is arguably would have more business travel with Seattle than Melbourne. If QF are going to fly to Seattle it'll be from Sydney first.

Sydscott

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:54 am

tullamarine wrote:
Tedjamvor wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

SYD is currently the bigger city though MEL will pass it population-wise in the next 15 years. SYD will still remain the larger market for int'l arrivals however due to its much larger inbound tourist market as well as leadership in the finance sector.

Not to make this a Sydney vs Melbourne but that projection of population passing was made pre-Covid. They'll need to totally re-do that post pandemic due to the numbers of people emigrating North.

As for project Sunrise, which others have mentioned, with QF now re-doing their domestic fleet and being pretty conservative on International I think Sunrise will be another decade away. So BNE-ORD will have plenty of life in the QF network.

jrfspa320

Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:30 am

Sydscott wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Tedjamvor wrote:

Not to make this a Sydney vs Melbourne but that projection of population passing was made pre-Covid. They'll need to totally re-do that post pandemic due to the numbers of people emigrating North.

As for project Sunrise, which others have mentioned, with QF now re-doing their domestic fleet and being pretty conservative on International I think Sunrise will be another decade away. So BNE-ORD will have plenty of life in the QF network.

Indeed and ULH flights need lots of premium demand to make them work and we dont know how corporate demand will recover. Sure it will come back to some extent but maybe less routes will be viable from pre-covid.

ZK-NBT

Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:04 am

sfojvjets wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

Things are different though... we know how reliant QF is on partner hubs for feed, whereas CI serves the diaspora (ie, why they serve Ontario California but not SEA, a DL partner hub). I can see QF launching SYD-SEA in a couple years or so, given the feed/loyalty they would have being tied up with AS. Again, DL is the ultimate loser, having lost VA to UA. Big ouch.

If not QF, I always wondered if FJ would start service to SEA. They could provide smooth one-stop options for travelers, as well as open up FJ to tourism from the PNW. Although Fiji's fleet is probably stretched a little thin during the holiday times... They need a couple more 330s or 1 more 350.

I do wonder if FJ might add NAN-YVR non stop or weather they were considering it pre covid? SEA i doubt, they are more after those whose destination is Fiji, yes there will always be connections and timed as such but the connecting traffic is typically lower yeilding. FJ returned 2 A330s and probably which they didn't take on 2 A350s just before Covid. I wouldn't think they will add anymore widebodies for quite some time.

flyer56

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:24 am

jplatts wrote:

Are there any markets with significant traffic that QF can pick up with AS connections in SEA that they don't already have with AA in LAX and DFW? Most people in Canada are going to fly through Vancouver, and frankly most Canadians are going to prefer AC over QF anyway. They don't need QF in SEA which is going to to be much less convenient than what they have already.

The states of WA and OR certainly have a large dedicated base of AS frequent fliers, but they already are taking AS to LAX to connect to QF (and AA before COVID) to reach SYD. I don't see what QF would pick up by flying to SEA other than some O&D. And while people deride DFW, AA has tremendous connections from DFW shortening the travel time for a lot of people. Same for UA flying IAH-SYD.

casperCA

Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:44 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:

I do wonder if FJ might add NAN-YVR non stop or weather they were considering it pre covid? SEA i doubt, they are more after those whose destination is Fiji, yes there will always be connections and timed as such but the connecting traffic is typically lower yeilding. FJ returned 2 A330s and probably which they didn't take on 2 A350s just before Covid. I wouldn't think they will add anymore widebodies for quite some time.

They operated NAN-YVR in the past. Given they have tried it in the past I just don't see them coming back.

ZK-NBT

Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:10 am

casperCA wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

They operated NAN-YVR in the past. Given they have tried it in the past I just don't see them coming back.

They did via HNL on a 738 which ended in 2008, non stop makes alot more sense on an A330 even at 2x weekly, possibly seasonal initially even. Anyway I don't see anything anytime soon but YVR would seem alot more likely than SEA.

AntonioMartin

Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:21 am

OzarkD9S wrote:

Again...crossing my fingers.....

AntonioMartin

Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:27 am

flyer56 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
IAnd while people deride DFW.

I for one loved DFW back when I flew to it for a connection (and back) in 2008......great connecting spot with connections worldwide not to mention a bit of quick spotting international carriers, good restaurants and very quick, efficient connections help. But then again, I was just a traveler going on a n all paid for vacation, not a business traveler needing to be somewhere doing a presentation pronto.

hpff

Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:30 am

flyer56 wrote:
The states of WA and OR certainly have a large dedicated base of AS frequent fliers, but they already are taking AS to LAX to connect to QF (and AA before COVID) to reach SYD. I don't see what QF would pick up by flying to SEA other than some O&D. And while people deride DFW, AA has tremendous connections from DFW shortening the travel time for a lot of people. Same for UA flying IAH-SYD.

I've done PNW-Australia several times from an outstation, connecting in SEA versus SFO or LAX would make absolutely no difference time-wise. Ignoring HNL, SFO geographically is the best hub for PNW-Australia connections.

LTEN11

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:58 am

If QF announces a start date for ORD again, something terrible will happen again and it won't start. The first time QF announced MEL/AKL/ORD and the GFC happened, then it was BNE/ORD and we got Covid, Lord know's what would happen if they try again.

I suggest we all campaign against QF starting ORD. I'm getting to old to put up with this shit again.

chunhimlai

Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:19 am

Is SEA (with new terminal) large enough for OW and ST to build hub there?

OzarkD9S

Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:24 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

The hubs are already there.

ContinentalEWR

Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 pm

chunhimlai wrote:

The OW hub is there in the form of Alaska Airlines, which is headquartered there and has its largest operation at SEA. The entire OW hub concept is built around the network AS has at SEA.

DFWandOMA

Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:12 pm

When is Qantas scheduled to restart DFW?

yeogeo

Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:05 pm

tullamarine wrote:
A direct ORD flight has to be able to survive on O&D plus those connecting locally where direct connections from LAX or DFW are not available. ... It is no shorter than going via LAX or DFW and ORD is more likely to suffer delays than the other two particularly during the northern winter.

Actually DFW is consistently more delay-prone vs O'Hare, according to the latest stats (January through September '21).
https://www.transtats.bts.gov/OT_Delay/ ... 1.asp?20=E
Since ORD has now completed the OMP (the runway reconfiguration plan), with all 8 runways operational, you can expect ORD will continue to show improvements in on-time stats.

tullamarine wrote:
There is no magic in making ORD a one-stop into New York.

The "magic" at O'Hare is its "connectability". Since you bring up New York City, O'Hare offers 50 daly flights into the three NYC a/p's. Neither DFW or LAX can match the sheer frequency of flights out of O'Hare to the NE, and that's more than just NYC, so I'd think that plays a role in QF's decision to come to O'Hare.
https://www.flychicago.com/SiteCollecti ... nstops.pdf

Also Qantas is certainly aware of the further transformation that will occur at ORD over the next decade: terminals that will allow international<>domestic transfers in-house for each alliance, so there's a commitment to improve the airport facilities which could come into their bullish thinking on O'Hare.
https://www.ord21.com/home/Pages/default.aspx

AnsettB727

Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:38 pm

I lived in Chicago 15 years ago. QF was mumbling about it way back then - it would have been the dream. Let's just wait an see - there are all kinds of 'interesting' QF routes being rumoured in this new post-pandemic future.

Kent350787

Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:45 pm

yeogeo wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
A direct ORD flight has to be able to survive on O&D plus those connecting locally where direct connections from LAX or DFW are not available. ... It is no shorter than going via LAX or DFW and ORD is more likely to suffer delays than the other two particularly during the northern winter.

Actually DFW is consistently more delay-prone vs O'Hare, according to the latest stats (January through September '21).
Since ORD has now completed the OMP (the runway reconfiguration plan), with all 8 runways operational, you can expect ORD will continue to show improvements in on-time stats.

tullamarine wrote:

The "magic" at O'Hare is its "connectability". Since you bring up New York City, O'Hare offers 50 daly flights into the three NYC a/p's. Neither DFW or LAX can match the sheer frequency of flights out of O'Hare to the NE, and that's more than just NYC, so I'd think that plays a role in QF's decision to come to O'Hare.

Also Qantas is certainly aware of the further transformation that will occur at ORD over the next decade: terminals that will allow international<>domestic transfers in-house for each alliance, so there's a commitment to improve the airport facilities which could come into their bullish thinking on O'Hare.

I wouldn't be surprised with a 3x weekly ORD flight by QF. The connections to the NE is a good point, but I do wonder whether there is:
1. sufficient links from Australia to that part of the world outside major cities to make those connections worthwhile
2. people from smaller ports in the US who'd fly to Australia if they could fly via ORD.

With family in Boston, we are outliers, although I do know a few people with university connections. Otherwise the east coast is mostly NYC with may a bit of FL thrown in for the more adventurous Aussies.

Sydscott

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:17 pm

Kent350787 wrote:
yeogeo wrote:
tullamarine wrote:

tullamarine wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised with a 3x weekly ORD flight by QF. The connections to the NE is a good point, but I do wonder whether there is:
1. sufficient links from Australia to that part of the world outside major cities to make those connections worthwhile
2. people from smaller ports in the US who'd fly to Australia if they could fly via ORD.

With family in Boston, we are outliers, although I do know a few people with university connections. Otherwise the east coast is mostly NYC with may a bit of FL thrown in for the more adventurous Aussies.

Realistically all of the major ports into the NE are covered via QF's Dallas Service. That was one of the major points of going there so that QF flyers could go 1 stop to LGA and DCA. So an ORD service isn't going to add major cities but it will add some minor ones along with more Eastern Canada Service.

Sooner787

Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:54 pm

DFWandOMA wrote:
When is Qantas scheduled to restart DFW?

Last I heard was mid Feb '22 , pushed back from a mid Dec resumption :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos