Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

javier787

Re: First ITA Airways' A320 now painted

Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:12 am

Looks so much better in real life - the renderings that came out months ago didn't really sell it at all! Several months back I took a stab at the tail section which is the weakest part of the livery imo; something more ANA -esque in terms of the logo application on the tail would have been better suited than whatever all those stars/patterns are...

My rendition of the ITA livery on an A320NEO:

IADFCO

Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:57 am

I really like it. Enough of that Euro-white.

For those who said that it looks like a football (soccer for the US folks) jersey, I think that was exactly the point.

On that theme, I wonder whether they considered "rosso corsa" (racing red), i.e., the official Ferrari color.

a320fan

Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:52 am

Love how everyone on this site complains about ‘yet another eurowhite’ yet someone does something different and there’s lots of complaints about that too. Much better looking than that original rendering which I recall left a blah impression on me. Yeah not my favourite livery, the colour is nice to see but other than that it’s pretty basic and serviceable. Blue engines would tie it all together a bit nicer. Overall much better than that thing icelandair just served up.

USAirKid

Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:26 am

It’s the wrong color for a European airline, but I do like it…

vulindlela744

Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:03 am

I like the blue very much. I like it.

capshandler

Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:13 am

Just to give the community an insight about how miserable life is when you are comissioned with rebranding an airline. In fact my fellow and greatly appreaciated anutters rosted my agency 10 years ago haha.

As an insider when you get such a contract, you are in a honey moon. The job of your life! But then you realize

1. The mindset of people in charge of the decision making. No imagination or conceptual thinking. They are not interested in culture, they are no risk takers and above all they are bean counters (which I understand for a business such as this one).
2. The infinity of technical, day to day operating limitations
3. And the most frustrating: how the average passenger don’t give a sh*t about a potential shining new livery based on a breakthrough idea. You fellow anetters are not the average passenger.

airsmiles

Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:00 am

I think the blue was a bold move, and not the dreaded “non-livery” of euro-white. Unfortunately, it seems to me an odd design implementation. The overall blue looks decidedly down-market LCC, but the green, white and red from the Italian flag overlays a more National Carrier feel. With the hopeless ITA name, it all seems to be a confusing brand projection.

No doubt some will hate it and others love it though.

Terrier79

Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:44 am

Just that it‘s not eurowhite doesn’t make it a good livery. Yes, the blue stands out, but do I like it? No.
The flag on the tail looks shabby.
My 6 year old wouldn‘t have done much worse.

Cxtl1na

Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:55 am

that's camp!

SRQLOT

Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:17 am

I love it! But I’m impartial, blue and white are my favorite colors, lol.

CDG777FAN

Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:23 am

I do like the blue color, it's catchy. What a change compared to the bunch of bland, boring euro-white...

However that "ITA Airways" aggravates me. The "Airways" under the windows looks like a Power Point presentation and the name ITA isn't appealing at all in my opinion but it is what it is.

Cxtl1na

Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:48 am

CDG777FAN wrote:
I do like the blue color, it's catchy. What a change compared to the bunch of bland, boring euro-white...

However that "ITA Airways" aggravates me. The "Airways" under the windows looks like a Power Point presentation and the name ITA isn't appealing at all in my opinion but it is what it is.

Yes! I couldn't point my finger on it but you did. In 8th grade I loved using blue for school PPs, true to the late 2000's girl I was, I liked using electric blue themes..

ben7x

Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:07 pm

LIPZ wrote:

I quite like it. But in the middle picture the Italian flag is false. Wouldn’t it be better to just paint the real flag on the tail even though it doesn’t match with the other side of the plane?

SEU

Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:51 pm

I think I want to like it more than I actually do, because it is different and bold and not Eurowhite.

steman

Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:54 pm

ben7x wrote:

I quite like it. But in the middle picture the Italian flag is false. Wouldn’t it be better to just paint the real flag on the tail even though it doesn’t match with the other side of the plane?

It is now false. This is how flags are painted on tails. The leading edge of the tail is a sort of pole on which the flag is attached, therefore the flag will always have a correct side and an inverted side

caribb

Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:08 pm

It’s decent, I like the blue. The flag colours on the tail remind me of military liveries though.. not a biggie. The only real issue for me are the logos on the white engines. They’re inconsistent with the logo embedded in the ITA titles on the fuselage. Either the “A” in ITA should be green to even it out or the engines should be blue and the logo in white and red like it is on the fuselage. That part is just a little messy but overall it’s quite ok and will stand out at any airport. I think it’ll grow on people as time goes by, like American’s flag tail.

CarlosSi

Fri Dec 24, 2021 6:15 pm

TheZ wrote:
Ok I have to ask, is it pronounced "I-T-A" or "Ita?"

It's "Ita", as in, "Ita more pizza!"

CarlosSi

Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:12 pm

javier787 wrote:
Looks so much better in real life - the renderings that came out months ago didn't really sell it at all! Several months back I took a stab at the tail section which is the weakest part of the livery imo; something more ANA -esque in terms of the logo application on the tail would have been better suited than whatever all those stars/patterns are...

My rendition of the ITA livery on an A320NEO:

Ahh but I like how the ITA is on the tail too! I think the extra shade of blue is a bit much though.

Here's my rendition.

It might be a bit "tricolor" crazy, but otherwise it's too empty.

IRL paintjobs look better because of the metallic look. Almost pearlescent.

FGITD

Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:39 pm

Ah the fickle nature of this sites thoughts on liveries. FI’s change is too white and bland! ITA is too blue and outlandish!

I like it. I do think the engines being white sticks out, and hope for their sake that the paint sticks. That’s the problem with full fuselage color…as UA learned on quite a few aircraft

DDR

Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:58 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
TheZ wrote:

It's "Ita", as in, "Ita more pizza!"

Thank You! Now I understand.

ztarizona

Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:15 am

So much blue. I admit it will be noticeable by pax similar to KLM but I feel like the legacy Alitalia livery was more uniquely Italian and recognizable for decades. Perhaps one day I will feel that way about the blue :-/

L0VE2FLY

Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:52 am

xwb777 wrote:
There is something wrong with the colors!

I said it on the photo comment yesterday, the blue is beautiful but it just isn't the right color to combine with the colors of the Italian flag.

rigo wrote:
It looks military

I think you're focusing on the tail too much!...

Flflyer83

Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:29 am

BoeingG wrote:
There's such a thing as "too much." Being mired in blue cheapens the brand, frankly; the livery lacks the elegance and sophistication of a "eurowhite" liver. Reminiscent of a LCC (e.g., Spirit, WOW, Play...), not a premier carrier.

Etihad, Qatar, Korean Air, KLM, Air Tahiti Nui, Royal Jordanian, and others would likely disagree that sophistication needs plain “euro white”. Predominately euro white liveries scream basic.

airsmiles

Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:44 am

BoeingG wrote:
lacks the elegance and sophistication of a "eurowhite" liver.

White is a colour used denote a basic or utility product though. There’s nothing sophisticated or even interesting about too much white. It’s used to maximise cost-cutting when aircraft change hands and on the lower end of the freighter market.

The basic problem with a many modern liveries is just poor design. The combination of colours and shapes to project an image, all matched to the physical properties to what it’s being applied to. Once an airline achieves a brand that has universal recognition and acceptance, they shouldn’t change it too much. A classic case of an airline understanding this would be Singapore Airlines. A classic case of an airline not understanding this would be Lufthansa, who managed to sabotage their iconic and instantly recognisable livery to follow the rest of the crowd.

oslmgm

Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:22 am

Polot wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:
TheZ wrote:

do you pronounce ‘Italy’ as ‘i-t-a-ly’ or ‘ita-ly’

Thats your answer

Well the ITA stands for “Italia Trasporto Aereo”, not ‘ita-ly’, and you will find plenty of people who pronounce the airline more as e-ta (which is not how you pronounce the start of Italy in English, closer to start in Italian though), so it is not that straightforward.

English pronunciation isn't particularly relevant in this case, though.

rbavfan

Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:27 am

ewt340 wrote:
Funnily enough, the blue would look better in cloudy condition. It would probably look shit on sunny day.

Looks great on WN (Southwest Airlines) aircraft in any climate condition. And the color never looks Matte (flat) finish.

rbavfan

Sat Dec 25, 2021 9:35 am

L0VE2FLY wrote:
xwb777 wrote:
There is something wrong with the colors!

I said it on the photo comment yesterday, the blue is beautiful but it just isn't the right color to combine with the colors of the Italian flag.

rigo wrote:
It looks military

I think you're focusing on the tail too much!...

Thats why it looks familiar. The government owned carrier took a military airframe look. Changed it from a solid grey to a solid Blue color. Left the engine cowls white & did a better logo. I hope it does not have military style service & seating. Just saying.

LAXLHR

Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:03 am

CDGIAD wrote:

I've been going back and forth on this. I always like different, so I can get on board with this color.

BoeingG

Sat Dec 25, 2021 12:58 pm

Flflyer83 wrote:
BoeingG wrote:
There's such a thing as "too much." Being mired in blue cheapens the brand, frankly; the livery lacks the elegance and sophistication of a "eurowhite" liver. Reminiscent of a LCC (e.g., Spirit, WOW, Play...), not a premier carrier.

Etihad, Qatar, Korean Air, KLM, Air Tahiti Nui, Royal Jordanian, and others would likely disagree that sophistication needs plain “euro white”. Predominately euro white liveries scream basic.

Fortunately NONE those carriers MIRE their aircrafts' fuselage in ONE color. You misread my objection.

BoeingG

Sat Dec 25, 2021 1:03 pm

airsmiles wrote:
BoeingG wrote:
lacks the elegance and sophistication of a "eurowhite" liver.

White is a colour used denote a basic or utility product though. There’s nothing sophisticated or even interesting about too much white. It’s used to maximise cost-cutting when aircraft change hands and on the lower end of the freighter market.

The basic problem with a many modern liveries is just poor design. The combination of colours and shapes to project an image, all matched to the physical properties to what it’s being applied to. Once an airline achieves a brand that has universal recognition and acceptance, they shouldn’t change it too much. A classic case of an airline understanding this would be Singapore Airlines. A classic case of an airline not understanding this would be Lufthansa, who managed to sabotage their iconic and instantly recognisable livery to follow the rest of the crowd.

It simply isn't a science (nor a subjective science at that...not sure where you're getting these odd metrics from).

aerokiwi

Mon Dec 27, 2021 2:29 am

I really like it. Aside from the general blah of the name, the only thing I find odd about it is the logo on the nacelles and the lack of integration with the main titles. It's like an afterthought of, oh yeah, we need a distinct logo.

But the blue, and the patterning on the tail. look fantastic.

AIRT0M

Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:12 pm

If it's plain white, it's boring.
But if it's plain blue, it's ...wow.
That's a.net ....

AirCbp

Mon Dec 27, 2021 10:53 pm

spinotter wrote:
Polot wrote:
Still hate the blue, know that most people here will love it just because of the blue.

I totally share your opinion about that blue. Maybe if something else we're in the rear it could work, but the contrast between the blue and the Italian colors gives me nausea!

I hate it!
I'm happy I'm not alone.
Italy is one of the most stylish countries in the world, and this livery just makes this sad airline look cheaper than the cheapest low cost airline. Because of this and the bad management I can imagine is already behind all this, its future looks sadly dark.

aerokiwi

Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:43 am

AIRT0M wrote:
If it's plain white, it's boring.
But if it's plain blue, it's ...wow.
That's a.net ....

Except it's not "plain blue" - it appears to have a metallic quality to it and there is a patterning within the blue around the horizontal stabilizer.

If it was an ANet trope it would be "white = terrible" and "colour = terrible".

Ellofiend

Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:08 am

Yeah, not a fan IMO.

The blue clashes with the Tricolore and the white engines too much. There is too much going on with three different (maybe two if you count Tricolore and the white engines as one) design patterns. There is a clear disjoint between the fuselage, tail and engines of the aircraft and personally, I have always associated Italy with Red and Green (mostly red) which is why I personally favour the past two Alitalia liveries over this one, they epitomised the flavour of Italy.

Also, even the name (getting off-topic, but still brand-related) Alitalia is vastly more welcoming and resonant than ITA, this may change over time but I feel the days of airlines utilising acronyms are well gone (like 50+ years gone). My opinion may change once I see it on other aircraft, but currently it's a no-vote from me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos