Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bradleybygrave
Topic Author

Merpati Vangaurd

Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into the Vanguard lately and noticed that Merpati bought a couple of them.

Does anyone know what seating config they operated these with?

Also, does anyone know why they can such a short operational term, the performance was incredible for an aircraft of that era.

Thanks, Bradley

AirDO

Re: Merpati Vangaurd

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:47 am

The Merpati Indonesia right?

bradleybygrave
Topic Author

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:15 am

AirDO wrote:

Yep :)

ClassicLover

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:00 pm

bradleybygrave wrote:
I have been looking into the Vanguard lately and noticed that Merpati bought a couple of them.

Also, does anyone know why they can such a short operational term, the performance was incredible for an aircraft of that era.

I imagine they had the same configuration as they had in service with BEA and British Airways, but that is just a guess.

AirDO wrote:

There was another Merpati somewhere? :)

MEA-707

Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:51 pm

All Merpati aircraft had a full economy interior at the time, being a semi low cost/poor mans option, allowed to undercut Garuda's pricing (who would fly Merpati's Vanguard routes like CGK-MES with A300s or DC-9 jets at that time). So I imagine it has a Y139 six abreast interior, comparible to a low cost 737-300. Unfortunately I have never seen interior shots of it. Merpati was the last airline flying passenger Vanguards til 1987. I guess the economics were good but it was difficult to get parts for the small fleets. The (slightly) older Viscounts and Electra's soldiered on for longer in Indonesia.

BealineV953

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:01 pm

bradleybygrave wrote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks, Bradley

Merpati operated eight Vanguards, although not necessarily all at the same time.
Four were originally built for BEA, and were acquired direct from BA. Some or all of these returned to BA periodically for maintenance.
Four were built for TCA. One of these went from AC to Merpati, the other three reached Merpati via various airlines.
As I recall, in the 1970s and 80s the Indonesian regulators allowed airlines to compete with Garuda on domestic routes, but they were not allowed to use jets. Hence Merpati operated Vanguards, Electras and Viscounts.

CrewBunk

Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:10 pm

I flew on a Merpati Vanguard during the mid 1980s, Jakarta - Medan - Jakarta, out and back for one last flight on an old friend.

It was a 952 (ex Air Canada) but sadly no longer had its original 5 abreast seating. As noted above, it was 6 abreast and all Economy. Still comfortable though. They served a snack each way and service was very very friendly.

I noticed the wall panels were still as they were with AC, with a maple leaf theme, but the PSUs were ex BEA. Likely because AC always flew it 5 abreast where BEA always flew it 6 abreast and BEA interior fittings were probably readily available.

Merpati (like AC et al) found operating such a unique type expensive. Like other airlines, the older Viscount outlasted the Vanguard.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos