Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

redroo

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - January 2022

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:40 pm

OQC is a bit of a lemon so it wouldn’t surprise me if it was put out to pasture.

CraigAnderson

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Does anybody know which particular A380s have been refurbished? If Qantas sticks to its previous statement that two of the 12 A380s will be retired, it'd hopefully be the most problematic ones.

mrkerr7474

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:00 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
Does anybody know which particular A380s have been refurbished? If Qantas sticks to its previous statement that two of the 12 A380s will be retired, it'd hopefully be the most problematic ones.

Having a look on QF website and the seat map for the A380, it looks like the following birds have had a refurbishment:

VH-OQD, OQG, OQH, OQI, OQJ and OQK

Doesn't look like OQB has had a refurbishment yet so that's still in the old layout.

I agree with the comment that OQC is a bit of a lemon. Ended up being on it a few times pre covid and never was in a good shape so wouldn't be surprised to see that and OQA put out

smi0006

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:09 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Having a look on QF website and the seat map for the A380, it looks like the following birds have had a refurbishment:

Doesn't look like OQB has had a refurbishment yet so that's still in the old layout.

I agree with the comment that OQC is a bit of a lemon. Ended up being on it a few times pre covid and never was in a good shape so wouldn't be surprised to see that and OQA put out

So just one to refit? Looking forward to trying the new bar/cafe space one day!

What makes OQC a lemon? Just the gremlins? Or was there poor production quality?

moa999

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:56 am

OQB has had the landing gear work and probably a major check done in DRS.
OQC has been in AUH for 6+ months now, presumably getting landing gear and checks (and possibly Refurb done)
So you'd think both will be kept given the $$s recently invested.

OQL being one of the youngest you'd expect to be returbed.

So that leaves OQA (Nancy Bird Walton, oldest and with its repair history)
OQE (which is also still in the old paint)
OQF

So my money would be on OQE and OQA

Will also be interesting to see if QF parts out the aircraft internally to create a spare parts pool to support the other 10, given there doesn't seem to be much value elsewhere.

redroo

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:41 am

smi0006 wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

So just one to refit? Looking forward to trying the new bar/cafe space one day!

What makes OQC a lemon? Just the gremlins? Or was there poor production quality?

Poor production quality. If I recall correctly (and this was a long time ago now) it was rushed into delivery by airbus. Ended up with loads of issues. QF weren’t happy and went over OQD with a fine toothcomb. OQC has been a problem child from engineering perspective ever since.

ASOSpotter

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:50 am

Have heard that one of the QANTAS A380s is hoping to be preserved at Albion Park with HARS. So maybe OQA might find a home there and be used as a christmas tree?

mrkerr7474

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:26 am

moa999 wrote:
OQB has had the landing gear work and probably a major check done in DRS.
OQC has been in AUH for 6+ months now, presumably getting landing gear and checks (and possibly Refurb done)
So you'd think both will be kept given the $$s recently invested.

OQL being one of the youngest you'd expect to be returbed.

So that leaves OQA (Nancy Bird Walton, oldest and with its repair history)
OQE (which is also still in the old paint)
OQF

So my money would be on OQE and OQA

Will also be interesting to see if QF parts out the aircraft internally to create a spare parts pool to support the other 10, given there doesn't seem to be much value elsewhere.

Thank you for the information, interesting regarding OQC

Would be interesting if OQF wasn't kept being slightly newer, so I would go with OQA and OQE as well

smi0006

Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:00 am

ASOSpotter wrote:
Have heard that one of the QANTAS A380s is hoping to be preserved at Albion Park with HARS. So maybe OQA might find a home there and be used as a christmas tree?

That’s going to be one impressive landing to watch!

AdvancedBikkie

Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:11 am

mrkerr7474 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Those aren't necessarily accurate: I know my scavenging may not be accurate either, but apparently OQB is coming back refurb'd.

mrkerr7474

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:24 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
mrkerr7474 wrote:
CraigAnderson wrote:

Those aren't necessarily accurate: I know my scavenging may not be accurate either, but apparently OQB is coming back refurb'd.

It seems from what I've read on Executive Traveller and others that OQB will eventually be refurb'd in Sydney. Either way, exciting the A380 will be back in the skies tonight

qf2220

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:01 am

redroo wrote:
Poor production quality. If I recall correctly (and this was a long time ago now) it was rushed into delivery by airbus. Ended up with loads of issues. QF weren’t happy and went over OQD with a fine toothcomb. OQC has been a problem child from engineering perspective ever since.

What in particular do you know?

sierrakilo44

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:26 am

ASOSpotter wrote:

HARS should be about aircraft that have a bit of legendary history, a bit of character, a bit of soul, and a real impactful history behind it. HARS website states they have a “love affair” with aircraft, like the “Queen of the skies”, the 747, the original and the best. The A380 is a soulless computer driven behemoth, a product of technocrats that really hasn’t inspired much, except for airlines to discard them at record pace. A love affair with a 380 is a like an arranged marriage, only because you’re forced into enjoy it.

And it’s hideously ugly too, how can anyone like such a dumpy aircraft with such a large forehead? The only part of a 380 on display at a museum should be in the soft drink cans at the vending machine.

hk144

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:09 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
ASOSpotter wrote:

HARS should be about aircraft that have a bit of legendary history, a bit of character, a bit of soul, and a real impactful history behind it. HARS website states they have a “love affair” with aircraft, like the “Queen of the skies”, the 747, the original and the best. The A380 is a soulless computer driven behemoth, a product of technocrats that really hasn’t inspired much, except for airlines to discard them at record pace. A love affair with a 380 is a like an arranged marriage, only because you’re forced into enjoy it.

And it’s hideously ugly too, how can anyone like such a dumpy aircraft with such a large forehead? The only part of a 380 on display at a museum should be in the soft drink cans at the vending machine.

Ugly it may be; however, OQA does have a bit of noteworthy history don't you think?

TN486T

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:07 am

SK44, I don't venture any opinion either way in your comments re A380, but I love the passion and the pros and the eloquence with which you expressed your views. well done. I do agree with the noteworthy history comment re OQA from hk144, it is "one out of the box".so to speak, I would love resting place at HARS to happen.

tristans

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:48 am

Purely from an av-geek perspective, I'd love to be able to get into every nook and cranny of a 380 as you can with OJA.

ClassicLover

Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:21 am

hk144 wrote:
Ugly it may be; however, OQA does have a bit of noteworthy history don't you think?

Just a bit! That would be the one I would expect to be preserved at somewhere like HARS. Or even Longreach. With such a small production run and relatively short history, I can't see too many of them being preserved, so one in Australia would be nice.

redroo

Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:31 am

qf2220 wrote:
redroo wrote:

What in particular do you know?

Nothing specific. Just what I was told by a QF engineering leader many years ago.

AdvancedBikkie

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:19 pm

hk144 wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:
ASOSpotter wrote:

Yeah it does, though I'm not sure anybody would want to celebrate a exploding engine...

ClassicLover

Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:38 pm

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
Yeah it does, though I'm not sure anybody would want to celebrate a exploding engine...

I think it's more the successful outcome that would be the celebratory aspect there.

Kent350787

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
hk144 wrote:

Just a bit! That would be the one I would expect to be preserved at somewhere like HARS. Or even Longreach. With such a small production run and relatively short history, I can't see too many of them being preserved, so one in Australia would be nice.

I revisited HARS over the break and the guide commented that they "can't resist anything we're offered". It would be fun seeing an A380 there but I do wonder about the logistics.

ben175

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:49 pm

Sorry, but to claim the A380 isn’t legendary is pretty arrogant and nonchalant. You ask anyone without aviation knowledge what the “best” type of plane in the world is - they will say the A380. Children are captivated by its sheer size. Flying on an A380 still has a sense of prestige for the average Joe. It may well be the last 4 engine aircraft most of us ever fly on.

There is a reason QF is making such a big deal about its return to service on its socials.

yachty

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:28 am

I was browsing FR24 last night and was surprised to see two Nauru Airlines 733Fs (ONU, YNU) doing domestic freight runs under QF callsigns. ONU started on the 10th, and YNU since early Jan (maybe earlier). Pionair had a few BAe 146s doing the same.

Does anyone know how long this has been going on for, and if it's a permanent arrangement? I would have guessed QF would rather use their own aircraft/pilots than wet lease to these kind of operators. Or is demand just so high right now that they need all the capacity they can get?

AdvancedBikkie

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:47 am

Kent350787 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:
hk144 wrote:

I revisited HARS over the break and the guide commented that they "can't resist anything we're offered". It would be fun seeing an A380 there but I do wonder about the logistics.

Curious, what do you mean 'logistics'? Sure, it's quite a bit smaller, but they can fit the 747 in HARS. I agree, it would be great to see an A380 there. I would presume a lot of people who wouldn't normally visit HARS would visit.

smi0006

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:53 am

yachty wrote:
I was browsing FR24 last night and was surprised to see two Nauru Airlines 733Fs (ONU, YNU) doing domestic freight runs under QF callsigns. ONU started on the 10th, and YNU since early Jan (maybe earlier). Pionair had a few BAe 146s doing the same.

Does anyone know how long this has been going on for, and if it's a permanent arrangement? I would have guessed QF would rather use their own aircraft/pilots than wet lease to these kind of operators. Or is demand just so high right now that they need all the capacity they can get?

Could it also be challenges with crew being in isolation, or covid positive? QF have wetleased to back fill capacity?

Kent350787

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:13 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
Kent350787 wrote:
ClassicLover wrote:

Curious, what do you mean 'logistics'? Sure, it's quite a bit smaller, but they can fit the 747 in HARS. I agree, it would be great to see an A380 there. I would presume a lot of people who wouldn't normally visit HARS would visit.

OJA already takes up considerable real estate reasonably close to the active stands and terminal. WIth the new Toll hanger to the east of HARS and the ongoing hope of getting the ex-John Travolta 707 to Albion Park there aren't many A380 sized options at the airport. Maybe Parkes could help them display one at HARS there?

bunumuring

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:47 am

Hey guys,
I know HARS would love VH-OQA but I fear it may be too much for Albion Park to handle physically unless serious $$$ were spent on a new apron.
There is however a MUCH more appropriate place to preserve VH-OQA, in its own special ‘area’ …. It’s namesake airport, conveniently being built right now. No worries about space being taken up, accessibility nor it not being a tourist attraction in its own right.
Imagine the last ever flight of QF’s ‘NBW’ into retirement being the first flight into Sydney West’s brand new ‘NBW’ airport.
The publicity!!! What a way to christen a new airport!
Come in Dom, ScoMo, Alan… make it happen!
Take care everyone,
Bunumuring

Kent350787

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:38 am

bunumuring wrote:
Hey guys,
I know HARS would love VH-OQA but I fear it may be too much for Albion Park to handle physically unless serious $$$ were spent on a new apron.
There is however a MUCH more appropriate place to preserve VH-OQA, in its own special ‘area’ …. It’s namesake airport, conveniently being built right now. No worries about space being taken up, accessibility nor it not being a tourist attraction in its own right.
Imagine the last ever flight of QF’s ‘NBW’ into retirement being the first flight into Sydney West’s brand new ‘NBW’ airport.
The publicity!!! What a way to christen a new airport!
Come in Dom, ScoMo, Alan… make it happen!
Take care everyone,
Bunumuring

Now why didn't I think of that :)

I get the impression that HARS would love everything they are offered, but there is no way Shellharbour Council would fund any necessary upgrades to accomodate another large aircraft.

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:43 am

yachty wrote:

It might be on-again-off-again, not sure, but both Nauru Airlines and Pionair have being operating for Qantas Freight for several years. Certainly since March 2020 if not earlier. At one point there was even a Greek 757 flying under the QFA code as well.

yachty

Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:02 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
It might be on-again-off-again, not sure, but both Nauru Airlines and Pionair have being operating for Qantas Freight for several years. Certainly since March 2020 if not earlier. At one point there was even a Greek 757 flying under the QFA code as well.

Thanks mate, I had no idea. I'd never seen the QF code on another airline other than Atlas before yesterday!

tullamarine

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:20 pm

I stress this is no more than a rumour but I saw on another site that VA were investigating the possibility of acquiring up to 7 73Gs from KLM. In some respects, this isn't a stupid move providing the price is right.

The trip costs of the 73G are a little bit less than the 73H providing you don't need the extra seats and it does preserve the single fleet type which is obviously super important to VA as it models itself on the successful WN business model.

KL will be retiring its 73Gs as the new A220s arrive so I'm sure the purchase price could be pretty good and, were it to happen, it would be similar to Alliance's bargain acquisition of pre-owned E90s as a way of growing your fleet without paying the significant upfront cost of an all-new fleet.

tullamarine

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:22 pm

yachty wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

Thanks mate, I had no idea. I'd never seen the QF code on another airline other than Atlas before yesterday!

QF do this with wet-leased Alliance E190s every day.

Obzerva

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:37 pm

tullamarine wrote:
I stress this is no more than a rumour but I saw on another site that VA were investigating the possibility of acquiring up to 7 73Gs from KLM. In some respects, this isn't a stupid move providing the price is right.

The trip costs of the 73G are a little bit less than the 73H providing you don't need the extra seats and it does preserve the single fleet type which is obviously super important to VA as it models itself on the successful WN business model.

KL will be retiring its 73Gs as the new A220s arrive so I'm sure the purchase price could be pretty good and, were it to happen, it would be similar to Alliance's bargain acquisition of pre-owned E90s as a way of growing your fleet without paying the significant upfront cost of an all-new fleet.

If it were to happen it would probably improve the chances some of the new thinner routes that have been come on to the schedule being retained, eg PER-LST

yachty

Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:46 pm

tullamarine wrote:
QF do this with wet-leased Alliance E190s every day.

I was talking about freighters.

CraigAnderson

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:06 am

Executive Traveller confirming that Hawaiian Airlines will “indefinitely suspend” BNE-HNL flights

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news ... lu-flights

Hard to see this being directly due to QLD's extended international lockdown as that's about to be lifted, maybe Hawaiian just didn't see the route really making sense financially and in terms of aircraft allocation and now's the time to drop it?

tullamarine

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:07 am

Following VA's announcement of capacity reductions during the Omicron peak, Qantas has now followed suit and advised that rather than being at 102% of pre-Covid domestic capacity by March, it and Jetstar will now be aiming for 70%. Obviously this will mean a number of cancellations but no staff will be stood down as there are natural staff shortages occurring due to isolation requirements.
https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20220113/pdf/454z5w0hbbvdyq.pdf

AdvancedBikkie

Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:55 am

I was just browsing FlightRadar, and found a JQ 788 on the MEL-PER route.
https://i.imgur.com/kjlHPll.png
I've never seen a JQ 788 anywhere in WA before.

zkncj

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:09 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:

Going by that flight number it would be an freight flight like the current JQ999* 788 services to AKL-MEL/SYD/BNE.

RyanairGuru

Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:00 am

AdvancedBikkie wrote:

Weekly 788 operating MEL-PER-SIN. Going for a few months, maybe October?

AdvancedBikkie

Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:46 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
AdvancedBikkie wrote:

Those usually are 320s, not 788s. In fact, a JQ 320 bound for SIN just flew over my head.

qf789
Topic Author

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:14 pm

AdvancedBikkie wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
AdvancedBikkie wrote:

Those usually are 320s, not 788s. In fact, a JQ 320 bound for SIN just flew over my head.

The A320 you refer to is operated by 3K not JQ and is operating a one off flight. 3K will resume passengers flights in PER-SIN next month

As already pointed out the 788 weekly cargo run on MEL-PER-SIN has been operating for several months now and the flight is replacing the weekly QF cargo run in that route

tullamarine

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:31 pm

qf789 wrote:
AdvancedBikkie wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

The A320 you refer to is operated by 3K not JQ and is operating a one off flight. 3K will resume passengers flights in PER-SIN next month

As already pointed out the 788 weekly cargo run on MEL-PER-SIN has been operating for several months now and the flight is replacing the weekly QF cargo run in that route

Correct, there is plenty of slack in the JQ788 schedules at the moment so using them in a freighter role makes some sense. The only int'l pax route they are doing in MEL-SIN 3 times a week and there are some daily services from MEL and SYD to CNS and OOL but realistically only 3 or 4 of the fleet of 10 are currently active at any one time.

EK413

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:11 pm

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:
AdvancedBikkie wrote:

Correct, there is plenty of slack in the JQ788 schedules at the moment so using them in a freighter role makes some sense. The only int'l pax route they are doing in MEL-SIN 3 times a week and there are some daily services from MEL and SYD to CNS and OOL but realistically only 3 or 4 of the fleet of 10 are currently active at any one time.

They’ve also resumed SYD-HKT & MEL-HKT services this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NZ516

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:08 pm

tullamarine wrote:
qf789 wrote:
AdvancedBikkie wrote:

Only 10 in their fleet now? Didn't Jetstar have 11 787s in their fleet previously?

a320fan

Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:53 am

All the discussion about which QF A380 could be preserved and displayed but no one actually mentioned she successfully entered pax service this week after nearly 2 years. LAX posted this pic of her touching down on the inaugural.

https://www.facebook.com/LAInternationa ... 25/?type=3

EK413

Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:19 am

a320fan wrote:
All the discussion about which QF A380 could be preserved and displayed but no one actually mentioned she successfully entered pax service this week after nearly 2 years. LAX posted this pic of her touching down on the inaugural.

https://www.facebook.com/LAInternationa ... 25/?type=3

-OQB was the 1st to be be activated, whilst -OQD the 2nd A380 returning to revenue service (wasn’t sent off to the Mojave desert) & spent the last 18 months or so at LAX.

-OQK is currently being prepped and will be the 3rd A380 returning to our shores.

CraigAnderson

Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:59 am

EK413 wrote:
-OQB was the 1st to be be activated, whilst -OQD the 2nd A380 returning to revenue service (wasn’t sent off to the Mojave desert) & spent the last 18 months or so at LAX.
-OQK is currently being prepped and will be the 3rd A380 returning to our shores.

Yes, would make sense to first return the A380s from Dresden maintenance and LAX hangar before Qantas embarks on what you'd have to think would be a somewhat expensive process of bringing an A380 out of 'hibernation' at Victorville, when you look at all the work put into prepping them for that Victorville 'deep sleep'. Was OQK at Victorville or also at LAX?

EK413

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:15 am

CraigAnderson wrote:
EK413 wrote:

Yes, would make sense to first return the A380s from Dresden maintenance and LAX hangar before Qantas embarks on what you'd have to think would be a somewhat expensive process of bringing an A380 out of 'hibernation' at Victorville, when you look at all the work put into prepping them for that Victorville 'deep sleep'. Was OQK at Victorville or also at LAX?

-OQK was in “hibernation” at VCV & ferried to LAX last month.

CraigAnderson

Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:45 am

Ah, so the A380s are now being woken from their dessert deep sleep state!

Thatcher

Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:58 am

tullamarine wrote:
Following VA's announcement of capacity reductions during the Omicron peak, Qantas has now followed suit and advised that rather than being at 102% of pre-Covid domestic capacity by March, it and Jetstar will now be aiming for 70%. Obviously this will mean a number of cancellations but no staff will be stood down as there are natural staff shortages occurring due to isolation requirements.
https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20220113/pdf/454z5w0hbbvdyq.pdf

Being a Jetstar passenger affected, I've had a closer look at this relative to my travel plans. (I'll be retiring then flying SYD-HKT within a few days, so more than interested in knowing the actual date of travel before offering my resignation!)

The Jetstar Newsroom "we're back to Phuket" item of 12 January states:
Operated by Boeing 787-8 aircraft, the flights from Sydney* will operate three times per week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, and twice weekly from Melbourne on Thursdays and Sundays.
(No explanation given for the asterisk btw. I assume "subject to regulatory requirements" or such.)

https://newsroom.jetstar.com/thailand-holidays-are-with-jetstar-flights-to-phuket-taking-off-today/

Looking at March availability however, shows just one weekly direct SYD-HKT (Saturdays), with higher priced offerings via MEL on Thursdays and Sundays.

So JQ appear to have canned two of the three weekly SYD-HKT flights, leaving 2 * MEL-HKT intact.

TG are currently flying three weekly SYD-HKT-BKK as a step on their SYD resumption. JQ has presumably bled passengers to them and their quite nice 9AB 77W Y cabin.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos