Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Bird80

Re: Boeing 787 Production/Delivery Thread - 2022

Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:41 am

ikolkyo wrote:
FAA AD is out for the recent 787 shim issue, another step closer to the resumption of deliveries. https://public-inspection.federalregist ... -11806.pdf

I think the AD is from late last year?

Anybody have updates on the certification plan approval? I did notice the recent coverage on the 3 year approval for FAA delegated authority.

Opus99

Thu Jun 02, 2022 4:42 am

[twoid][/twoid]
Bird80 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:
FAA AD is out for the recent 787 shim issue, another step closer to the resumption of deliveries. https://public-inspection.federalregist ... -11806.pdf

I think the AD is from late last year?

Anybody have updates on the certification plan approval? I did notice the recent coverage on the 3 year approval for FAA delegated authority.

I believe it has only just been finalised. So it’s a major step towards resuming 787 deliveries, as this is the original reason the 787 deliveries stopped in the first place

Pantonov22

Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Opus99

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:52 pm

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... eliveries/

“That burden, however, is likely to be lifted in the coming weeks.

According to an FAA official close to the process, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the information is not public, the safety agency recently accepted Boeing’s recertification plan for the 787s.

The FAA has asked Boeing to deliver a few extra items of test and analysis before the plan is final, but they won’t require it to be resubmitted, the person said.“

The FAA has accepted Boeings plan for 787.
This is great news

Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:42 pm

Agreed, this is major progress for Boeing, after a long hard slog. The relationship with FAA has been reset, so hopefully Boeing has a better idea now what is expected of them in the submission of documentation.

RMTAviation

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:31 am

Anybody have a list of completed 787's that will be delivered right after certification? Are they still in production?

Sooner787

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:16 pm

Great news for Boeing and their workers.

Now let's hope the Max7 certification follows quickly

JohanTally

Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:41 pm

Sooner787 wrote:

Did they officially resume deliveries?

Sooner787

Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:55 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Not yet. But once FAA gives the official green light, I believe Boeing has several Dreamliners ready to deliver

JohanTally

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:02 pm

Sooner787 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:

Not yet. But once FAA gives the official green light, I believe Boeing has several Dreamliners ready to deliver

I thought you had some insider info... Hopefully when they do resume deliveries the FAA sign off process on each frame will be able to efficiently expedite the backlog.

Opus99

Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:10 pm

JohanTally wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
JohanTally wrote:

I thought you had some insider info... Hopefully when they do resume deliveries the FAA sign off process on each frame will be able to efficiently expedite the backlog.

Their plan for certification has been accepted by the FAA. Faa has asked Boeing to run some test analysis but this analysis does not have to be submitted. Boeing should have 787 deliveries back online before Farnborough

Scotron12

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:12 pm

Can someone give a rundown on the process Boeing has to do once they obtain clearance for deliveries? They have 120 B787s parked. Do these frames need any work before they are cleared? And if so, geez...seems will take a while to get rid??

Rgds

Stitch

Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
Can someone give a rundown on the process Boeing has to do once they obtain clearance for deliveries? They have 120 B787s parked. Do these frames need any work before they are cleared? And if so, geez...seems will take a while to get rid?

Yes Boeing will need to perform any outstanding re-work on each frame.

And I believe the FAA is still going to issue the airworthiness certificate for each frame until they feel confident in Boeing's processes to allow them to self-issue those again.

kanban

Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:17 pm

In addition any other mandatory changes that are out there will be incorporated prior to delivery. Boeing lets those accumulate so they can do all the work at once instead of constantly twiddling with the planes. there may not be other AD's but there are probably a load of service bulletins.

DartHerald

Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:22 pm

Can anyone explain in simple terms how the tolerance issues are being dealt with? Do the affected frames have to be dismantled so that new shims that close the gap to within tolerance can be fitted? If that is the case it doesn't sound like a minor procedure, but if it isn't, whatever they do starts to look/sound like a bodge job!

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:21 pm

DartHerald wrote:
Can anyone explain in simple terms how the tolerance issues are being dealt with? Do the affected frames have to be dismantled so that new shims that close the gap to within tolerance can be fitted? If that is the case it doesn't sound like a minor procedure, but if it isn't, whatever they do starts to look/sound like a bodge job!

First, the interior of the aircraft around the joint has to be removed to permit inspection. That can't be done from the outside. Then the remediation depends on the extent & cause of the gaps.

If the problem is section edge flatness, they can loosen the joint and even out the surface, then realign, bond, & tighten again according to spec. This requires the aircraft to be in the assembly alignment jig, which is why they do a lot of it in Seattle, on the closed line.

If the problem is improper shimming, then they have to disassemble enough to remove & replace the shim. It's likely that an out of tolerance shim resulted from out of tolerance edge flatness, so they may have to do both. Again the alignment jig is needed.

Then they have to reinstall the interior, after inspection. It is a time-consuming process, although not technically difficult. They likely have it down to the minimum possible time by now, given how many they have mitigated.

edealinfo

Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:57 pm

RMTAviation wrote:
Anybody have a list of completed 787's that will be delivered right after certification? Are they still in production?

. It is a time-consuming process, although not technically difficult. They likely have it down to the minimum possible time by now, given how many they have mitigated.

1. How many have they mitigated so far. Do you know how many of Vistara Airlines 3 stored aircraft are mitigated?

2. I went to the Google docs Boeing 787 production and delivery document available online. If you look at the line number in sequence, and then check the status of the plane, in terms of those that are "stored", Vistara's 3 787's are 17th, 26th and 63rd of the stored aircraft. I'm unclear if Boeing will start re-delivery based on Line Number alone. I wish they just released their re-delivery sequence instead of us guessing.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:07 pm

edealinfo wrote:
RMTAviation wrote:

. It is a time-consuming process, although not technically difficult. They likely have it down to the minimum possible time by now, given how many they have mitigated.

1. How many have they mitigated so far. Do you know how many of Vistara Airlines 3 stored aircraft are mitigated?

2. I went to the Google docs Boeing 787 production and delivery document available online. If you look at the line number in sequence, and then check the status of the plane, in terms of those that are "stored", Vistara's 3 787's are 17th, 26th and 63rd of the stored aircraft. I'm unclear if Boeing will start re-delivery based on Line Number alone. I wish they just released their re-delivery sequence instead of us guessing.

Sorry, I have no clue about individual aircraft. I've mainly been following the engineering case, as to what went wrong and what the remediations are. Boeing has been steadily working on aircraft so they must have completed a number of them by now, but no idea which ones.

edealinfo

Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:38 pm

Sorry, I have no clue about individual aircraft. I've mainly been following the engineering case, as to what went wrong and what the remediations are. Boeing has been steadily working on aircraft so they must have completed a number of them by now, but no idea which ones.

No problem and thank you for responding.

>>>>Boeing has been steadily working on aircraft so they must have completed a number of them by now, but no idea which ones.
I'm hoping someone on this thread would know.

Separately, when did the problems arise, and what about aircraft that were delivered up to 6 months before? Isn't there a high chance that they too would have the same problem? Were they sent back to Boeing to be checked, or are the airline operators on the hook since they had innocently accepted that delivery at that time?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:42 pm

edealinfo wrote:

Separately, when did the problems arise, and what about aircraft that were delivered up to 6 months before? Isn't there a high chance that they too would have the same problem? Were they sent back to Boeing to be checked, or are the airline operators on the hook since they had innocently accepted that delivery at that time?

The problems have been present, to various degrees, throughout the last several years of 787 production. Awareness of them arose when the FAA required Boeing to conduct an extensive quality control audit, as part of the conditions of the 2015 compliance settlement.

This required detailed review of manufacturing records, many captured by instrumented tooling. Boeing has a massive amount of data available, which lends itself to data mining techniques. Once a compliance or tolerance escape is discovered, it's pattern can be searched for all airframes, to establish which are likely affected.

The first step was to determine if the escape constitutes a safety of flight issue. Thus far, only one combination of two escapes was found to affect safety, in that an aircraft with both issues would have less than the required limit strength. There were about 8 aircraft affected, they were grounded and repaired in 2020, then returned to service

All the other escapes were found not to be safety related, but Boeing still must report them to the FAA and airlines. For aircraft not yet delivered, Boeing committed to repair every issue prior to delivery. As issues continued to crop up as a result of the audit, that period has stretched on, with the FAA eventually taking back airworthiness certification, until Boeing can show they have the quality issues under control.

For aircraft already delivered prior to the audit identification of an affected airframe, Boeing and the FAA disagreed about the timing of inspection and repair. Boeing proposed prioritization by their records identification, with random additional inspections to ensure the integrity of their identification method. Many repairs would be deferred until major airframe checks. The FAA preferred the more typical method of fixed period for inspection, with follow-on fixed period for repair.

It's not clear yet how they resolved that disagreement, but whatever the solution was, the FAA has now approved the inspection and repair protocols. Although they will retain airworthiness certification for awhile yet.

So bottom line, eventually every potentially affected 787 will be inspected and repaired if needed, many of them during their major checks. That will ensure they have the expected lifespan. Boeing is likely to either pay for this as part of their service contracts, or pay compensation to airlines. Aircraft may need to be flown to Boeing facilities, if the assembly jigs are needed for the repair.

JohanTally

Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:51 pm

edealinfo wrote:
RMTAviation wrote:

I would expect counterintuitively that some of the newest builds would deliver first because they shouldn't require rework once the defects were identified. When the MAX deliveries resumed new builds were being delivered while the earlier line numbers got their rework completed.

edealinfo

Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:04 am

edealinfo wrote:

The problems have been present, to various degrees, throughout the last several years of 787 production. Awareness of them arose when the FAA required Boeing to conduct an extensive quality control audit, as part of the conditions of the 2015 compliance settlement.

This required detailed review of manufacturing records, many captured by instrumented tooling. Boeing has a massive amount of data available, which lends itself to data mining techniques. Once a compliance or tolerance escape is discovered, it's pattern can be searched for all airframes, to establish which are likely affected.

The first step was to determine if the escape constitutes a safety of flight issue. Thus far, only one combination of two escapes was found to affect safety, in that an aircraft with both issues would have less than the required limit strength. There were about 8 aircraft affected, they were grounded and repaired in 2020, then returned to service

All the other escapes were found not to be safety related, but Boeing still must report them to the FAA and airlines. For aircraft not yet delivered, Boeing committed to repair every issue prior to delivery. As issues continued to crop up as a result of the audit, that period has stretched on, with the FAA eventually taking back airworthiness certification, until Boeing can show they have the quality issues under control.

For aircraft already delivered prior to the audit identification of an affected airframe, Boeing and the FAA disagreed about the timing of inspection and repair. Boeing proposed prioritization by their records identification, with random additional inspections to ensure the integrity of their identification method. Many repairs would be deferred until major airframe checks. The FAA preferred the more typical method of fixed period for inspection, with follow-on fixed period for repair.

It's not clear yet how they resolved that disagreement, but whatever the solution was, the FAA has now approved the inspection and repair protocols. Although they will retain airworthiness certification for awhile yet.

So bottom line, eventually every potentially affected 787 will be inspected and repaired if needed, many of them during their major checks. That will ensure they have the expected lifespan. Boeing is likely to either pay for this as part of their service contracts, or pay compensation to airlines. Aircraft may need to be flown to Boeing facilities, if the assembly jigs are needed for the repair.

Excellent summary. Thanks!

edealinfo

Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:54 pm

The problems have been present, to various degrees, throughout the last several years of 787 production.

The Wall Street Journal printed an article today, titled, "What’s Holding Back Boeing’s 787 Dreamliner?" (see the link below)
It focuses on various defects, but more importantly also has graphics. It's behind a paywall, but I was able to read it by copying and pasting the link below in "Incognito" mode in Chrome and "InPrivate" mode in Microsoft Edge browser. The story does go on to say that 787 deliveries are expected to restart this summer.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-hold ... 1656194652?

Scotron12

Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:06 pm

What's the current B787 production? Once they receive clearance, how many per month will they ramp up to? And, more importantly, clearing the backlog already there!

Same as with the B737MAX, still a huge backlog of parked frames.

Stitch

Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:09 pm

Scotron12 wrote:
What's the current B787 production? Once they receive clearance, how many per month will they ramp up to?

Current production is around two per month and once they are fully-cleared, Boeing intends to raise that to three a month ASAP and then proceed to an eventual five per month.

edealinfo

Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:46 pm

Stitch wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:
What's the current B787 production? Once they receive clearance, how many per month will they ramp up to?

Current production is around two per month and once they are fully-cleared, Boeing intends to raise that to three a month ASAP and then proceed to an eventual five per month.

1. The 787 has been around 10 years. With hindsight, which engines have proven to be superior, the RR Trent 1000 or the GEnx-1B?

2. Assuming FAA allows deliveries, which of the following carriers in the queue/line (below) do you think are most likely unable to take immediate possession because they already have spare aircraft/demand hasn't picked up for them as yet/don't need it at the moment etc.? And, which need it ASAP?

I compiled this list based in order of their "Line Number" meaning they were the first to be produced (with aircraft now in storage). Assume theoretically that the fix has been performed on all (regardless of whether it has been done or not), as I am trying to get a general idea of the airlines that simply aren't in a position, financially, operationally, or otherwise, to take it at this time.

Air China
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Juneyao
El Al Airlines
Air Europa
Gulf Air
China Southern
Singapore Airlines
Vietnam Airlines
Oman
KLM
Qantas

NOTE: I just looked at the first X number of 787s in storage. Obviously there are more airlines that have 787 in storage but they have a later production line number.

MY THOUGHTS:
I thing Air China and China Southern are not interested in taking things now because cut down their network. Is my assumption correct? Also, I assume Norwegian is out of the picture and no longer operates 787s. Is that correct?

ikolkyo

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:23 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Stitch wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

1. The 787 has been around 10 years. With hindsight, which engines have proven to be superior, the RR Trent 1000 or the GEnx-1B?

2. Assuming FAA allows deliveries, which of the following carriers in the queue/line (below) do you think are most likely unable to take immediate possession because they already have spare aircraft/demand hasn't picked up for them as yet/don't need it at the moment etc.? And, which need it ASAP?

I compiled this list based in order of their "Line Number" meaning they were the first to be produced (with aircraft now in storage). Assume theoretically that the fix has been performed on all (regardless of whether it has been done or not), as I am trying to get a general idea of the airlines that simply aren't in a position, financially, operationally, or otherwise, to take it at this time.

Air China
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Juneyao
El Al Airlines
Air Europa
Gulf Air
China Southern
Singapore Airlines
Vietnam Airlines
Oman
KLM
Qantas

NOTE: I just looked at the first X number of 787s in storage. Obviously there are more airlines that have 787 in storage but they have a later production line number.

MY THOUGHTS:
I thing Air China and China Southern are not interested in taking things now because cut down their network. Is my assumption correct? Also, I assume Norwegian is out of the picture and no longer operates 787s. Is that correct?

I would say GE definitely has the edge currently. Especially with Trent 1000 customers switching to GE on their latest orders. (ANA and ANZ)

FJL767400

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:31 am

edealinfo wrote:
Stitch wrote:
Scotron12 wrote:

Air China
Norwegian Air Shuttle
Juneyao
El Al Airlines
Air Europa
Gulf Air
China Southern
Singapore Airlines
Vietnam Airlines
Oman
KLM
Qantas

MY THOUGHTS:

CSN did manage to get two 789s when the delivery resumes last year. When it comes to the Chinese it's all about their local authority approval for them to take delivery of new aircraft. This is the usual obstacle for most airlines to expand and if the chance is given then they rarely don't do it, the only exceptions I resemble in recent years are the 4 HNA 787 frames and the never-flown CA L/N 688. Btw is this the smallest LN for a 787 that has not yet flown? But it did obtain a Chinese registeration so is it delivered on paper?

B787register

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:03 am

LN688 is a NTU (not taken up) and owned currently owned by Boeing.
Norwegian's 787s will either already be NTU or assigned to another airline as Norwegian Long Haul went out of business.

edealinfo

Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:50 am

ikolkyo wrote:
I would say GE definitely has the edge currently. Especially with Trent 1000 customers switching to GE on their latest orders. (ANA and ANZ)

Thanks.

FJL767400 wrote:
When it comes to the Chinese it's all about their local authority approval for them to take delivery of new aircraft.
Is CA L/N 688 the smallest LN for a 787 that has not yet flown?

Yes it's the lowest line number, which per the prior post is ntu, then the next line number in storage jumps to #998 which Is Norwegian, which is another airline which will likely be ntu (not taken). This means, if delivery is by line number of stored aircraft, the first would be Juneyao (discount airline operating out of Shanghai) followed by El Al, CIT Leasing, Gulf Air, China Southern and Singapore (assuming all these carriers have intent to actually accept delivery at this time). Is there reason to believe any of them don't need the aircraft now and will defer delivery by at least 4 months?

Usernameunknown

Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:00 pm

Not really sure about Everett's delivery plans but Charleston is supposed to deliver LN1099(AA) first, followed by LN1098(BA) and anything after LN1127 which is the clean aircraft that wont require any rework

MileHFL400

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:24 pm

Usernameunknown wrote:
Not really sure about Everett's delivery plans but Charleston is supposed to deliver LN1099(AA) first, followed by LN1098(BA) and anything after LN1127 which is the clean aircraft that wont require any rework

Interesting insight! Does this mean these aircraft are ready to go?

ikolkyo

Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:26 pm

Usernameunknown wrote:

Any idea when deliveries will start up again? Should be fairly soon I’d imagine

edealinfo

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 am

Usernameunknown wrote:

In which month due you think LN 1145 will be "ready for delivery" (ignoring FAA for now)?

JohanTally

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:05 am

edealinfo wrote:
Usernameunknown wrote:

In which month due you think LN 1145 will be "ready for delivery" (ignoring FAA for now)?

I'm not sure if the NYC787Blog is still accurate with production info but if so LN1133-1136 are currently in final assembly and LN1132 a 78J for UA is in pre-flight prep. If that's the case it should be 5 to 8 months before LN1145 is finished.

edealinfo

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:34 am

JohanTally wrote:
If that's the case it should be 5 to 8 months before LN1145 is finished.

Thank you.

Separate questions:

What about the following 3 stored aircraft? LN 1027 and LN 1049 which were assembled in Everette, and LN 1107 which was assembled in Charleston? Has rework been done on them?

Also, in general, would less rework need to be done whether the aircraft was assembled in Everette as compared to Charlotte, or vice versa?

And, are airlines in storage, being repaired, generally, in line number, or based on how much rework is required? As an example in the latter, if an aircraft needed only 4 days of rework as opposed to 10 days, whether Boeing would first do the one with 4 days (regardless of LN number), because it is easier to get it out of the door/delivered?

Thanks again.

edealinfo

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:44 am

BAD NEWS FOR RESTARTING DELIVERIES??????????

DOT to AUDIT FAA ON 787
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... 7-programs
https://darik.news/southcarolina/fed-to ... 94989.html

Lufthansa confirms entry into service of five Boeing 787-9 in 2022
I believe these were originally built for Hainan. Perhaps Lufthansa wasn't aware of the DOT audit when it made this announcement?
https://www.airdatanews.com/lufthansa-c ... 9-in-2022/

JohanTally

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:27 am

edealinfo wrote:
JohanTally wrote:
If that's the case it should be 5 to 8 months before LN1145 is finished.

Thank you.

Separate questions:

What about the following 3 stored aircraft? LN 1027 and LN 1049 which were assembled in Everette, and LN 1107 which was assembled in Charleston? Has rework been done on them?

Also, in general, would less rework need to be done whether the aircraft was assembled in Everette as compared to Charlotte, or vice versa?

And, are airlines in storage, being repaired, generally, in line number, or based on how much rework is required? As an example in the latter, if an aircraft needed only 4 days of rework as opposed to 10 days, whether Boeing would first do the one with 4 days (regardless of LN number), because it is easier to get it out of the door/delivered?

Thanks again.

I'm not really sure what aircraft will be prioritized but I believe 1027 and 1049 are at VCV and 1107 is at SAT. I doubt the rework would be performed at those airports but that's just my opinion. It would seem that aircraft stored at PAE or CHS would be first in line for rework although I'm not sure what 787 resources are still in place at Everett.

sxf24

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:38 am

edealinfo wrote:
BAD NEWS FOR RESTARTING DELIVERIES??????????

DOT to AUDIT FAA ON 787
https://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news ... 7-programs
https://darik.news/southcarolina/fed-to ... 94989.html

Lufthansa confirms entry into service of five Boeing 787-9 in 2022
I believe these were originally built for Hainan. Perhaps Lufthansa wasn't aware of the DOT audit when it made this announcement?
https://www.airdatanews.com/lufthansa-c ... 9-in-2022/

Audits usually don’t stop work as they look at prior activities to insure compliance.

Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:42 am

edealinfo wrote:

This audit will have no immediate impact on deliveries. It was expected eventually as a result of the Congressional hearings.

It's looking into production practices. Boeing just went through a comprehensive quality control audit on the 787, with FAA participation. There have not been significant quality issues on the 737 line.

Auditors always find something, so most likely result of this will be recommendations that Boeing will agree to implement.

Like the certification deadline, it's more political than anything else. FAA and NTSB told Congress that the issues reported by whistleblowers had been investigated. But here we are again.

Blotto

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:22 am

ikolkyo wrote:
Usernameunknown wrote:

Any idea when deliveries will start up again? Should be fairly soon I’d imagine

Not before end of July

edealinfo

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:04 pm

Blotto wrote:
Not before end of July

Respectfully, others have stated that the DOT audit of FAA will do nothing to hinder deliveries. SO, on what basis do you think it won't happen before mid July when there is big air show at Farnborough?

chrisnh

Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:51 pm

I live in Summerville, SC, beneath the approach to CHS. Test flights are common over the house: LOT, Westjet, AA, Oman to name just four recent ones. Last week a Turkish 789 went to Victorville, I presume to get painted in the new livery. Hasn’t come back yet, but I’ll keep my eyes open.

Blotto

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Blotto wrote:
Not before end of July

Respectfully, others have stated that the DOT audit of FAA will do nothing to hinder deliveries. SO, on what basis do you think it won't happen before mid July when there is big air show at Farnborough?

The date has nothing to do with the DOT audit. I won't disclose what my daily business is, let's just say that's the info I got. There is no agreed timeline regarding the recertification with the FAA yet. So end of July is what Boeing expects if the FAA accepts all the certification documents.
Mid of July is in 2 weeks. You would need to have customer delivery teams on site by now. Are there any?

JohanTally

Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:11 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Blotto wrote:
Not before end of July

I expect the FAA to greenlight deliveries before or during Farnborough but as stated that doesn't mean they instantly get delivered. A lot goes into customer acceptance especially with the absence of deliveries for such an extended period.

edealinfo

Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:44 am

chrisnh wrote:
1. I live in Summerville, SC, beneath the approach to CHS. Test flights are common over the house:
2. I’ll keep my eyes open.

1. Thank you for the terrific input. I tried to match the airline you mentioned below and guessed their LN (line number)
    LOT (LN 1014 or 1046 in storage and assembled in Charleston? or LN 1036 is production testing?)
    Westjet (LN 1106 stored aircraft assembled in Charleston)
    AA (LN 1045 /1055 /1061 /1071/ 1075 / 1087 / assembled in Everette or LN 1099 /1103 assembled in Charleston, or LN 1111 stored and assembled in Charleston?
    Oman (LN 1108 assembled in Charleston)
    Turkish 789 (LN 1113 - stored and assembled in Charleston)

Can you please keep an eye out for VISTARA AIRLINES? It's livery is like the one in the link below. One of its aircraft (LN 1107 is in storage and was assembled in Charleston. Its line number is between the Westjet LN 1106 and Oman Air LN 1108 that you mentioned. The reason I am interested is that Vistara has secured highly prized London Heathrow slots but to add that flight it needs its 787 aircraft.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2020/03/m ... -revealed/

2. Yes, would love for you to post what you see here so we can guess deliveries.

Blotto wrote:
There is no agreed timeline regarding the recertification with the FAA yet. So end of July is what Boeing expects if the FAA accepts all the certification documents.

Thank you, and appreciate your input.

JohanTally wrote:
(i) I expect the FAA to greenlight deliveries before or during Farnborough but as stated that doesn't mean they instantly get delivered.
(ii) A lot goes into customer acceptance especially with the absence of deliveries for such an extended period.

(i) You haven't stated why you expect it to be greenlighted before Farnborough.
(ii) Can you briefly elaborate and how much time would it take?

chrisnh

Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:43 am

Here are my first few CHS photos. Mostly 787s but also the Dreamlifter and (of course) C-17s:

https://www.vanveen.us/aviation

edealinfo

Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:49 am

chrisnh wrote:
Here are my first few CHS photos. Mostly 787s but also the Dreamlifter and (of course) C-17s:

https://www.vanveen.us/aviation

Cool; especially the 747 which looked weird until I saw the byline which said it is a 787 dreamlifter!

Also, please don't forget to post on this thread the 787 planes you see.

JohanTally

Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:45 am

edealinfo wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
1. I live in Summerville, SC, beneath the approach to CHS. Test flights are common over the house:

1. Thank you for the terrific input. I tried to match the airline you mentioned below and guessed their LN (line number)
    LOT (LN 1014 or 1046 in storage and assembled in Charleston? or LN 1036 is production testing?)
    AA (LN 1045 /1055 /1061 /1071/ 1075 / 1087 / assembled in Everette or LN 1099 /1103 assembled in Charleston, or LN 1111 stored and assembled in Charleston?

Can you please keep an eye out for VISTARA AIRLINES? It's livery is like the one in the link below. One of its aircraft (LN 1107 is in storage and was assembled in Charleston. Its line number is between the Westjet LN 1106 and Oman Air LN 1108 that you mentioned. The reason I am interested is that Vistara has secured highly prized London Heathrow slots but to add that flight it needs its 787 aircraft.

2. Yes, would love for you to post what you see here so we can guess deliveries.

Blotto wrote:
There is no agreed timeline regarding the recertification with the FAA yet. So end of July is what Boeing expects if the FAA accepts all the certification documents.

JohanTally wrote:
(i) I expect the FAA to greenlight deliveries before or during Farnborough but as stated that doesn't mean they instantly get delivered.
(ii) A lot goes into customer acceptance especially with the absence of deliveries for such an extended period.

I can't find the article but it was stated that the FAA was satisfied with the proposed rework and mitigation strategy for future defects. The documents filed needed to be revised but Boeing would not have to refile and certification is imminent. While the FAA wants Boeing to clean up their act going forward I'd assume they also don't want to cause irreparable harm to the company and the American aviation industry.

REDHL

Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:21 am

JohanTally wrote:
edealinfo wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

Blotto wrote:

JohanTally wrote:

I can't find the article but it was stated that the FAA was satisfied with the proposed rework and mitigation strategy for future defects. The documents filed needed to be revised but Boeing would not have to refile and certification is imminent. While the FAA wants Boeing to clean up their act going forward I'd assume they also don't want to cause irreparable harm to the company and the American aviation industry.

May you go. I think Opus99 posted it on reply #154.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... eliveries/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos