Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Rogers99

Re: Boeing 777X Testing/Production Thread - 2022

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:09 pm

WalterFaber wrote:
Rogers99 wrote:
I think the threats of an a350NEO is over exaggerated. I think airbus first wants to extract as much value from the a350-1000. Which is already a big competition to the 777-9. Then investing in a 10 abreast cabin is to improve the economics against the 777-9. And I think that 777-300er market will be about 50:50 when all is said and done. They’re both extremely efficient aircraft.

Also there’s a lot of 777-300ERs and 330s to replace. When that market is when and truly milked. Then we can talk about NEOs and at that point we are looking at 15 years.

I love the 777-9 too. My favorite airliner

I think it will be fine.

Flight tests will resume January. And TIA is expected to be received in mid 2023.

Re A350NEO: I am a bit surprised that there is a competitive 777x at all. Shouldn't an A350-2000 be better due to lower fuselage weight and similar wing and engine technology? Why did Airbus not immediately compete with the 777x directly?
Another motivation for an A350NEO could be increased competition from an improved 787 with higher gross weight or updated engines. But I agree that an A350NEO isn't going to enter service in the 2020s. However, the 777x has already lost 5 years of its time without an A350NEO, which is significant imho.

ADent wrote:
2. Yes. 777X stopped for awhile, but is scheduled to resume soonish (dates elsewhere in thread IIRC)
3. I think you answered your own question. But by slowing production rate down. The 787 line was down to 2/month during delivery shut down.
4. See 3. Worked so well for the 737 and 787 that Boeing thought the 777 should join in. Originally the delay was not expected to be years instead of months. Now it’s just a calculus on shutting down the line and restarting vs trickling them out.
5 Currently on hold awaiting 737-7 & 737-10 certification. Started off waiting for repercussions of 737MAX crashes and changing certification from an grandfather of 777 to a new cert. EASA wants more redundancy. Engine problems delayed first flight. Now awaiting 737MAX certification.

Thanks!
Re 5), so it is more about certification overload at Boeing and possibly the FAA than about technical problems with the 777x itself (although they certainly exist as well).

These days, there’s no aircraft you can say it’s considerably more efficient than its competitor (in the same size category) especially when both OEMs have the same supplier and are subject to the same technologies.

5 years is a lot of time you’re right. But in context of the 35K vs 779. Not really, the 35K is not running away with sales that could’ve otherwise gone to the 779. That size category is just not getting sales period. And that’s is Boeings only saving grace there. But that too has a limit. They have to be careful here because if there’s another delay after 2025, airlines are gonna think the aircraft simply cannot be certified

rfarlz

Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:42 pm

swapcv wrote:
LDRA wrote:
77west wrote:
Having a look at the -8F specs I see they have upped the MTOW to 366,000kg - I guess we may see this applied to the -9 PAX model as well. 15,000kg is a not insignificant range/payload bump.

Not an insignificant change. Not just the gears, the wing system needs to carry the flight load as well. Did Boeing find more load carrying capacity in the wing system than predicted from the destructive ultimate load test?

It was already built in the day they announced it'd be equipped with that humongous wing. Won't be surprised if MTOW goes upto 380t or more. That wing can support a lot more than being advertized.

The B77W already has some of the highest pavement loading of any commercial aircraft, I was quite surprised to see the 779 MTOW increased so much over that with the same sized MLG. The pavement loadings would start to be very restrictive if it went up any more without a whole new main gear.

Rogers99

Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:53 pm

rfarlz wrote:
swapcv wrote:
LDRA wrote:

Not an insignificant change. Not just the gears, the wing system needs to carry the flight load as well. Did Boeing find more load carrying capacity in the wing system than predicted from the destructive ultimate load test?

It was already built in the day they announced it'd be equipped with that humongous wing. Won't be surprised if MTOW goes upto 380t or more. That wing can support a lot more than being advertized.

The B77W already has some of the highest pavement loading of any commercial aircraft, I was quite surprised to see the 779 MTOW increased so much over that with the same sized MLG. The pavement loadings would start to be very restrictive if it went up any more without a whole new main gear.

779 MTOW is flat with 77W. Have the exact same

778F MTOW is what has gone up

swapcv

Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:36 am

Rogers99 wrote:
rfarlz wrote:
swapcv wrote:

779 MTOW is flat with 77W. Have the exact same

778F MTOW is what has gone up

779 has a much wider gear footprint of 106ft vs the 77W's 102ft. Also, if BOE was willing to go upto 805klbs on the smaller 777-8F, then I suppose for the same pavement loading as the -8F, the wider gear footprint of the -9 can support much higher MTOW from an engineering pov, so I expect the MTOW at EIS will increase just like it did with the 77W which originally started off as a 750klb bird but eventually grew upto 775klbs. Operators may specify different paper MTOW's but the certified MTOW is going to increase.

BoeingVista

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:24 pm

77west wrote:
Having a look at the -8F specs I see they have upped the MTOW to 366,000kg - I guess we may see this applied to the -9 PAX model as well. 15,000kg is a not insignificant range/payload bump.

How do you know its a range / payload bump and not OEW increase + accompanying fuel to meet range spec?

Noshow

Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:32 pm

Might partly be a structural modification after the rupture?

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:01 pm

Noshow wrote:

Don't think it would have anything to do with the ultimate load test. There may have been some minor structural strengthening afterwards, but it wouldn't affect the MTOW.

The fuselage buckled on the bottom, at 99% ultimate load, which was the expected failure mode. The rupture was the release of pressurization energy, which was unrelated to ultimate load result.
Last edited by Avatar2go on Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morrisond

Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:16 pm

Noshow wrote:

A bare fuselage barrel is about 5% of the MTOW of a LR widebody. So we are talking about something that might be about 17T that missed a test by less than 1% (149 vs 150%). They almost had it perfect. To design it to fail at 1% over would have been a waste of structure and inefficient.

How much do you think a 17T structure would have to grow in weight to be less than 1% better. Basically an insignificant amount. At the outside maybe a couple of hundred pounds? Probably just some slightly thicker Aluminum in that section.

77west

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:10 am

BoeingVista wrote:
77west wrote:

How do you know its a range / payload bump and not OEW increase + accompanying fuel to meet range spec?

True, I guess we will have to wait to see.

BoeingVista

Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:01 am

Noshow wrote:

Don't think it would have anything to do with the ultimate load test. There may have been some minor structural strengthening afterwards, but it wouldn't affect the MTOW.

The fuselage buckled on the bottom, at 99% ultimate load, which was the expected failure mode. The rupture was the release of pressurization energy, which was unrelated to ultimate load result.

Minor strengthening maybe but all weight is weight which has to be accounted for.

The door blowout and destruction of the airframe was not the predicted failure mode, if you have a link attesting that is was please post it.

Because Boeing have never publicly stated what the OEW target will be its very difficult to asses what the MTOW increase means, we don't know if they have achieved this unstated OEW or not so we cannot say with any certainty that part of this MTOW increase is not due to an internal restating of OEW (airframe weight).

StTim

Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:31 am

There is an unspecified engine issue that has halted testing. https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... x-incident

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:34 am

BoeingVista wrote:

The door blowout and destruction of the airframe was not the predicted failure mode, if you have a link attesting that is was please post it.

Boeing's public statement at the time, was that the expected mode of failure was buckling of the fuselage.

It was an all-airfame ultimate test, with the wings being deflected upward while the nose & tail were deflected downward, and the fuselage also pressurized to near its limit. For that configuration, the greatest stress concentration relative to strength, is just forward and aft of the wing box. The failure ocurred in the aft location. Since the underside of the fuselage was in compression, the failure mode is buckling.

Once the buckle ocurred, the pressurization energy was released in an explosive decompression. The signature of that release is a split or tear in the fuselage, which is characteristic of any pressure vessel ultimate test. In this case the tear ran rearwards until it was interrupted by a door frame. Splitting the frame released the door, which blew out onto the facility floor.

That sequence was captured in the data acquisition, and well understood. It's possible that the tear running as far as it did was not expected by Boeing. Explosive events are more difficult to predict. But the initial failure mode of buckling was predicted, and the explosive decompression would be inevitable, by definition.

My point is that these failures were so close to the mandated ultimate load, that they served the purpose of validating the finite element structural models. So may have been some minor tweaking based on those models, but not enough to affect the weight rating of the aircraft.

accentra

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:15 pm

StTim wrote:
There is an unspecified engine issue that has halted testing. https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... x-incident

Now also being reported elsewhere:

https://www.flightglobal.com/airframers ... 75.article

The above article is behind a paywall but essentially says that the flight test programme is halted while the engine 'anomaly' is studied. Apparently it's the highest-time flight test engine that has been affected. No details as yet from GE or Boeing about the specifics of the issue.

TropicalSky

Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:32 pm

in article on { https://airwaysmag.com/boeing-777x-tests-halted-ge9x/ } from airways mag they quoted Emirates CEO stating that they will know the extent of damage/delay on DEC 6 & BOE has plans to restart testing in JAN 23.....hopefully its nothing to serious

FluidFlow

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:01 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
in article on { https://airwaysmag.com/boeing-777x-tests-halted-ge9x/ } from airways mag they quoted Emirates CEO stating that they will know the extent of damage/delay on DEC 6 & BOE has plans to restart testing in JAN 23.....hopefully its nothing to serious

In general, according to the article, it comes down to design flaw vs manufacturing problems. The latter will not be a big problem, as the affected parts can be replaced with non-affected parts. If its the former, GE and Boeing will have a problem, because going back to the drawing board will take time and cost money.

Rogers99

Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:15 pm

FluidFlow wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

In general, according to the article, it comes down to design flaw vs manufacturing problems. The latter will not be a big problem, as the affected parts can be replaced with non-affected parts. If its the former, GE and Boeing will have a problem, because going back to the drawing board will take time and cost money.

Fingers crossed. Big time

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:03 pm

If they have plans to resume testing next month, it doesn't sound too serious. From the description, they were filling out the thermal operation envelope when something happened with one engine.

Those engines have many thousands of hours, both in flight and on the test stand. So it might be that some aspect of the aircraft support services for the engine wasn't adequate for the operational conditions.

Just have to wait and see what they discover the root cause to be.

Rogers99

Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:05 pm

If they have plans to resume testing next month, it doesn't sound too serious. From the description, they were filling out the thermal operation envelope when something happened with one engine.

Those engines have many thousands of hours, both in flight and on the test stand. So it might be that some aspect of the aircraft support services for the engine wasn't adequate for the operational conditions.

Important to note they have plans to restart in January IF the issue isn’t too serious

FluidFlow

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:45 pm

Rogers99 wrote:

Important to note they have plans to restart in January IF the issue isn’t too serious

Most probably because they have parts from another batch available so after the analysis they can just replace the affected piece. Now if the analysis shows that the part has a design flaw there is no point in putting a part from another batch in as it will fail aswell.

Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:53 pm

We should know in a few days. But we shouldn't jump the gun and presume the worst. I'll be surprised if it's a design flaw serious enough to ground the test program.

HTCone

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:32 pm

https://samchui.com/2022/12/01/boeing-7 ... 4kOzcqnyf0

According to Sam Chui’s website, flight testing won’t resume until Summer.

Rogers99

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:34 pm

HTCone wrote:
https://samchui.com/2022/12/01/boeing-777x-test-program-halted-after-ge9x-engine-issues/#.Y4kOzcqnyf0

That is if there’s a problem

StTim

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:53 pm

Rogers99 wrote:
HTCone wrote:
https://samchui.com/2022/12/01/boeing-777x-test-program-halted-after-ge9x-engine-issues/#.Y4kOzcqnyf0

That is if there’s a design problem

Fixed it for you. There is a problem - it is more a case of how big it is. If it is just a production issue there is still why it was not found, what needs to change etc to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If the basic design has a flaw in an area that will however be a much bigger problem.

I have no idea which one it is but they have been investigating for a few weeks now.

Rogers99

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:06 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
StTim wrote:
Rogers99 wrote:
HTCone wrote:

That is if there’s a design problem

Fixed it for you. There is a problem - it is more a case of how big it is. If it is just a production issue there is still why it was not found, what needs to change etc to make sure it doesn't happen again.

If the basic design has a flaw in an area that will however be a much bigger problem.

I have no idea which one it is but they have been investigating for a few weeks now.

Yes if there’s a design problem.

It happened October 6th I think. Don’t know how long till they would’ve gotten the engine before the now start doing tests etc. but December 6th is Tuesday
Let’s see what happens

Rogers99

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:19 pm

https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/ ... x-incident

Also Boeing actually wants to restart tests in January so as to get TIA by mid 2023. That very much depends on the engine.

On Dec. 6 we’ll get the information about whether the engine is good to go, in other words, was it a batch or an issue with the whole design of the engine,” says Clark. “That affects the ability to get the flight test program going—Boeing wants to restart it in January [2023]. The TIA, which is meant to be some time by the middle of next year. moves pro rata. If GE has to go back to [do a] redesign and then go through the whole testing process again, it moves back month on month.”

More details on the issue:

Providing additional details, GE says, “following the finding, one GE9X engine was taken off wing and sent to Peebles to support additional engineering test runs. During these runs, a temperature alert was observed, and the operator shut the engine down normally. Engineering investigation of this engine continues.”

Can anyone make up what could be going on? I know it a tall order but worth a try

Rogers99

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:30 pm

We should know in a few days. But we shouldn't jump the gun and presume the worst. I'll be surprised if it's a design flaw serious enough to ground the test program.

GE says, they decided with Boeing to ground the test program out of an abundance of caution until they report their findings

accentra

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:30 pm

Almost certainly unrelated to this latest development but, as most people know, the GE9X has already been responsible for a past delay to the 777X programme when a stator redesign was required:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-fran ... SKCN1TI0OG

Hopefully, it won't be anything like that this time!

Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:55 pm

Rogers99 wrote:
GE says, they decided with Boeing to ground the test program out of an abundance of caution until they report their findings

Grounding because you don't know the cause, is one thing. It's common practice these days. Grounding because you know the engine is unsafe to fly, would be quite another.

BoeingVista

Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:06 am

BoeingVista wrote:

Boeing's public statement at the time, was that the expected mode of failure was buckling of the fuselage.

It was an all-airfame ultimate test, with the wings being deflected upward while the nose & tail were deflected downward, and the fuselage also pressurized to near its limit. For that configuration, the greatest stress concentration relative to strength, is just forward and aft of the wing box. The failure ocurred in the aft location. Since the underside of the fuselage was in compression, the failure mode is buckling.

Once the buckle ocurred, the pressurization energy was released in an explosive decompression. The signature of that release is a split or tear in the fuselage, which is characteristic of any pressure vessel ultimate test. In this case the tear ran rearwards until it was interrupted by a door frame. Splitting the frame released the door, which blew out onto the facility floor.

That sequence was captured in the data acquisition, and well understood. It's possible that the tear running as far as it did was not expected by Boeing. Explosive events are more difficult to predict. But the initial failure mode of buckling was predicted, and the explosive decompression would be inevitable, by definition.

My point is that these failures were so close to the mandated ultimate load, that they served the purpose of validating the finite element structural models. So may have been some minor tweaking based on those models, but not enough to affect the weight rating of the aircraft.

So that's a no then.

BoeingVista

Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:20 am

FluidFlow wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

There is a 3rd option, it could point to a materials issue as they were playing with thermal margins. That could be a big problem.

Edit: From the Sam Chui article the glitch happened and they dropped the engine in October, Its been stripped at the factory long since, GE already know whats going on and its not good news. We are being softened up for another delay announcement around the 6th.

FluidFlow

Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:02 pm

BoeingVista wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

There is a 3rd option, it could point to a materials issue as they were playing with thermal margins. That could be a big problem.

Edit: From the Sam Chui article the glitch happened and they dropped the engine in October, Its been stripped at the factory long since, GE already know whats going on and its not good news. We are being softened up for another delay announcement around the 6th.

For me this are just semantics: If you use the wrong material its a design flaw if you designed it with the wrong one or, the supplier delivered bad material and GE didnt cought it and used it, what would be a manufacturing issue. We will see, the former would really be a problem…

Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:26 pm

BoeingVista wrote:

So that's a no then.

I gave you the facts, which were accepted by the FAA, who had staff onsite to observe the test. You are the one making the claim that it's other than the truth. Therefore up to you to provide evidence for your viewpoint.

Anyone can make any claim and then demand it be disproved. That is the basis of all conspiracy theories. But that's not how rational discussion works. It's up to you to show that the facts you are provided, are not correct.

pugman211

Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:03 pm

Is this likely to be a coatings issue?? Especially with it being linked to EGT?

BoeingVista

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:34 am

FluidFlow wrote:
BoeingVista wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:

For me this are just semantics: If you use the wrong material its a design flaw if you designed it with the wrong one or, the supplier delivered bad material and GE didnt cought it and used it, what would be a manufacturing issue. We will see, the former would really be a problem…

Thanks for your opinion (getting a lot of that today) but its not semantics. You design expecting a material (probably developed by another company) to live up to its specs be that heat or durability, if it doesn't but you are still using it within its specification thats a materials issue not a design issue.

pugman211 wrote:
Is this likely to be a coatings issue?? Especially with it being linked to EGT?

Has certainly crossed my mind.
Last edited by BoeingVista on Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

BoeingVista

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:38 am

BoeingVista wrote:

So that's a no then.

I gave you the facts, which were accepted by the FAA, who had staff onsite to observe the test. You are the one making the claim that it's other than the truth. Therefore up to you to provide evidence for your viewpoint.

Anyone can make any claim and then demand it be disproved. That is the basis of all conspiracy theories. But that's not how rational discussion works. It's up to you to show that the facts you are provided, are not correct.

No, you gave me your opinion. I asked for a link to somebody, anybody that agrees with it. You haven't provided a link because there is nobody who does. You were the one making the original claim and are of course unable to back it up.

Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:43 am

BoeingVista wrote:

No, you gave me your opinion. I asked for a link to somebody, anybody that agrees with it. You haven't provided a link because there is nobody who does. You were the one making the original claim and are of course unable to back it up.

What I gave you was not opinion, it was documented fact. What you gave me was your opinion that something else ocurred. Which you cannot back up, so you reverse the logic to require proof of facts which are well known. Again this is the bastion of conspiracy theorists.

It's not necessary to answer such claims, which are entirely devoid of evidence or rational thinking. Your ignorance is not a burden that others must carry, it is your own. But to end the nonsense, here is the reported evidence:

The combination of the bending forces on the wing and fuselage created a high compression load on the bottom centerline of the fuselage — the keel — according to the person, who asked for anonymity because the details are sensitive.

But as Boeing personnel along with six FAA observers watched from the windows of a control room, at 1.48 times limit load — 99% of ultimate load — the structure gave way. Under the center fuselage, just aft of the wing and the well where the landing gear wheels are stowed, the extreme compression load caused the plane’s aluminum skin to buckle and rupture, according to the person familiar with the details.

That then caused secondary damage: The photos show that the fuselage skin split part of the way up the side of the airplane, along with areas of bent and twisted structure that extended through the area around a passenger door.

These secondary damage sites — the rip up the side of the fuselage, the door blown out — alarming as they might seem, are not a concern to air safety engineers. “The doors were not a precipitating factor,” said the person familiar with the details.

It’s the initiating failure, the weakness in that localized area of the keel, that Boeing must now fix.

Yet the fix is very unlikely to require a retest.

A safety engineer at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), speaking anonymously without permission from the agency, said that because the blowout happened so close to the target load, it barely counts as a failure.

Boeing will have so much data gathered on the way to the 99% stage that it can now compare with its computer models to analyze the failure precisely, the FAA engineer said. It can then reinforce the weak area, and prove by analysis that that’s sufficient to cover the extra 1%.

The engineer said it’s not that unusual to find a vulnerability when taking an airplane structure to the edge of destruction.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/b ... ress-test/

You are now welcome to provide the evidence for your alternative conspiracy claims. We await that anxiously. :D

RJMAZ

Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:49 am

This 777X development really is turning out to be much bigger than Boeing expected.

I'm sure in hindsight Boeing might have taken a different approach. The GE90-115 first ran in 2001. The GEnx for the 787 first ran in 2005. If the GEnx meets the 2026 ICAO emission standards then the GE90 must be very close.

A PIP package on the GE90 might have been enough to keep it going. No airframe certification needed. The freighter operators may even have preferred this.

I actually think the A350NEO and 787NEO will cause 777X sales to dry up after 2030.

Does anyone have an estimate of the current development cost? I could see it exceeding $10 billion for only 340 orders.

With just a $1 billion engine PIP I think the 777 line could have still sold 100+ freighters. The 777-300ER was still getting orders right up until the 777X launched. The 77F was still getting orders even after the 777X launched.

FrenchPotatoEye

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:50 am

The peoples forgets this only ONE G9X engine under inspections

How many thousands of test flights hours since since the firstings flight all with no accident or event?

Wear tear is best guess as test fighting resume in just a few the weeks. Sheesh

accentra

Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:34 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

How many thousands of test flights hours since since the firstings flight all with no accident or event?

I think people are just anxious because a previous issue with GE9X led to a significant delay to the 777X programme (when the stator redesign was required). Everyone is just hoping it won't be the same thing again and that there won't be another big delay. Hopefully more definitive news in the coming days.

reidar76

Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:14 pm

RJMAZ wrote:
A PIP package on the GE90 might have been enough to keep it going.

The GE90 violates the noise emissions standards. I think that is difficult to address without a significant redesign.

An 777X EIS in 2025 would mean more than 12 years since programme launch. Now Boeing might be facing further delays, due to the recent engine issues. This must be the longest development time for any civilian aircraft ever, and it's not even a clean-sheet. Due to the many years of delays, this aircraft design and its engine will not exactly be state of art at EIS.

Is there any chance the 777X programme might be outright cancelled? Even though a lot of resources have already been spent, there is significant cost in ramping up and manufacturing these aircraft. After so many years of delays, and with all the compensation required, and that combined with the usual low launch price (2013), I can't imagine that Boeing can even cover even production cost per frame.

I can't even imagine that there will be any significant further orders for the 777X. There will probably be cancellations. Total production might end at anything between 250 and 350 frames, is my guess. That is dependent on when this aircraft accually will EIS (still 2025 or will it be 2027?), and when Airbus launches the A350neo (with Ultrafan) and Boeing proceeds with a 787 MAX (and 787-10ER / 787-11).

Is the 777X DOA (?), or just a new 747-8 (?).

xwb777

Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:58 pm

I see Tim Clark ordering the A350-1000 if there would be a further in certification/ delivery. Boeing will be updating him with the latest test results on December 6.

FrenchPotatoEye

Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:03 pm

xwb777 wrote:
I see Tim Clark ordering the A350-1000 if there would be a further in certification/ delivery. Boeing will be updating him with the latest test results on December 6.

He won't order the nothing.

If the he does, he then have to cancelling 77x and suffering huge penalties

FrenchPotatoEye

Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:06 pm

accentra wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

I think people are just anxious because a previous issue with GE9X led to a significant delay to the 777X programme (when the stator redesign was required). Everyone is just hoping it won't be the same thing again and that there won't be another big delay. Hopefully more definitive news in the coming days.

There no redesigning impact because the flight tests have been going for 2 the year since 2020

And only one engine is the affected piece, not all g9X engines

StTim

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:25 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
accentra wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

There no redesigning impact because the flight tests have been going for 2 the year since 2020

If only that was true. How long did it take for the Trent coating issues to emerge?

FrenchPotatoEye

Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:30 pm

Yrent engine issues plagued many airlines and engines

Rr issue more widespread

This only one g9x engine. Big differences.

StTim

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:02 pm

They are not in service yet so few hours in reality. There weren't such issues during the Trent certification flying.

It may be nothing to worry about but even simple engine issues can take significant time to resolve.

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:17 pm

reidar76 wrote:
RJMAZ wrote:
A PIP package on the GE90 might have been enough to keep it going.

The GE90 violates the noise emissions standards. I think that is difficult to address without a significant redesign.

An 777X EIS in 2025 would mean more than 12 years since programme launch. Now Boeing might be facing further delays, due to the recent engine issues. This must be the longest development time for any civilian aircraft ever, and it's not even a clean-sheet. Due to the many years of delays, this aircraft design and its engine will not exactly be state of art at EIS.

Is there any chance the 777X programme might be outright cancelled? Even though a lot of resources have already been spent, there is significant cost in ramping up and manufacturing these aircraft. After so many years of delays, and with all the compensation required, and that combined with the usual low launch price (2013), I can't imagine that Boeing can even cover even production cost per frame.

I can't even imagine that there will be any significant further orders for the 777X. There will probably be cancellations. Total production might end at anything between 250 and 350 frames, is my guess. That is dependent on when this aircraft accually will EIS (still 2025 or will it be 2027?), and when Airbus launches the A350neo (with Ultrafan) and Boeing proceeds with a 787 MAX (and 787-10ER / 787-11).

Every time an issue surfaces with an aircraft, or with a manufacturer, we get the cancel theories. It's not going to happen.

The 12 years includes 2 years of pandemic and 2 years of extraordinary circumstances, which continue in the new rigor applied by the FAA. There is no comparison with earlier development models.

It speaks volumes that customers, despite complaining about the circumstances, have not cancelled their orders and moved on to other aircraft. There are reasons for that.

xl0hr

Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:52 pm

Every time an issue surfaces with an aircraft, or with a manufacturer, we get the cancel theories. It's not going to happen.

The 12 years includes 2 years of pandemic and 2 years of extraordinary circumstances, which continue in the new rigor applied by the FAA. There is no comparison with earlier development models.

It speaks volumes that customers, despite complaining about the circumstances, have not cancelled their orders and moved on to other aircraft. There are reasons for that.

Plenty of credit for other airframes? Cheap and fast 787s? Free delays of deliveries during a pandemic?

I'm just semi-serious. Of course some airlines just don't want A350-1000 but something else that's big which only leaves the 77X.

accentra

Sun Dec 04, 2022 10:13 pm

FrenchPotatoEye wrote:
accentra wrote:
FrenchPotatoEye wrote:

Ah, but it's the high-time engine which is affected, which often doesn't bode well. That's a legitimate concern for people on here. As already mentioned, hopefully more definitive data in the next days.

RJMAZ

Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:10 am

reidar76 wrote:

There is only 4 years difference between the GE-90-115 and GEnx. The GEnx received chevrons to reduce noise. So adding Chevrons to the GE90 nacelle might have satisfied the noise requirement. I think a minor $1 billion upgrade to the GE90 would have satisfied the 2026 ICAO requirements.

Hands down this would have been the better option. No 10% fuel burn improvement like with the Ge9x. A PIP of 5% at most to pass the 2026 target. I'm sure the freight operators would prefer the lighter 777-200 freighter with no folding tips.

reidar76 wrote:

I think it will be just like the 747-8 with the multiple production rate decreases and program write offs.

I expect the 777X production to only ramp up to 5 frames a month for the first few years. Then drop down below 3 frames a month by 2035 and nearly all of the aircraft at that point will be freighters

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos