Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Scraig08

Re: Orlando Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:43 pm

With JetBlue buying out Spirit, what does that mean for operations at MCO? I would think JetBlue would be at least the 2nd biggest carrier at MCO now after Southwest

nkops

Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:15 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
With JetBlue buying out Spirit, what does that mean for operations at MCO? I would think JetBlue would be at least the 2nd biggest carrier at MCO now after Southwest

I guess a lot of it depends on what they keep and get rid of.. plus taking away any overlapping flights (LGA-MCO I believe is one). They will be a nice size though and I hope they keep all the destinations, but some may very well disappear

KMCOFlyer

Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:35 am

Scraig08 wrote:

I’m curious how the combined airline ops will work? I’m not sure a combined NK/B6 would be able to fit in a 15 gate (should be 19 gates by 2025 when the merger is completed) Terminal C. The current plan once B6 moves to Terminal C in September is for NK to move into B6 o current space in Airside 1. A split B6 terminal operation post-merger between C and the North Terminal seems unfeasible.

KMCOFlyer

Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:03 am

Looks like Terminal’s C opening will be gradual. Most of the International Airlines are staggering over this week but no B6 until next week.

https://twitter.com/mco/status/15719556 ... mn_25Bkmmg

crownvic

Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:24 am

I am suprised what little coverage there was here in Orlando on the local news. In most cases it was mentioned halfway into the news hour. I would think that opening a $2 billion international terminal would be a much larger deal. Its also been quiet here too on this forum.

Note: First flight was an Aer Lingus A330 from Manchester followed by a GOL from Brazil. It appears that the state of the art computerized baggage system malfunctioned on the first day causing a long delay in retrieving bags. And how about no soap in the mens bathroom! How does that happen??

KMCOFlyer

Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:23 pm

crownvic wrote:
I am suprised what little coverage there was here in Orlando on the local news. In most cases it was mentioned halfway into the news hour. I would think that opening a $2 billion international terminal would be a much larger deal. Its also been quiet here too on this forum.

Note: First flight was an Aer Lingus A330 from Manchester followed by a GOL from Brazil. It appears that the state of the art computerized baggage system malfunctioned on the first day causing a long delay in retrieving bags. And how about no soap in the mens bathroom! How does that happen??

Several local news networks covered the opening yesterday (multiple stations had reporters on scene). I think next week on the 27th is when things will get real once B6 finally moves over. Probably makes sense now that GOAA waited a week to move B6 over to iron out the opening week kinks with the a few international flights first as B6 will carry the vast majority of passenger bulk in the new Terminal C.

Scraig08

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:55 pm

Since Terminal C just opened up and a lot of the international airlines have all migrated over to the new terminal, what is in store for Airside 4? I would have to think that there will be plenty of room now. Maybe Delta expands services to other US/Transatlantic destinations? Or will other current airlines head over there to occupy the extra real estate

Clipper136

Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:35 pm

crownvic wrote:
It appears that the state of the art computerized baggage system malfunctioned on the first day causing a long delay in retrieving bags. And how about no soap in the mens bathroom! How does that happen??

The ultra modern bag system had a fail-safe to prevent FIS (International) arrival bags from "accidentally" being sent to the domestic arrival bag carousels. The system did not take into account CBP pre-cleared flights. So the bags went in the system and did not come out where expected. Took a while to figure out how to get them out of the system without manual intervention.

Scraig08 wrote:
Since Terminal C just opened up and a lot of the international airlines have all migrated over to the new terminal, what is in store for Airside 4? I would have to think that there will be plenty of room now. Maybe Delta expands services to other US/Transatlantic destinations? Or will other current airlines head over there to occupy the extra real estate

Airside 4 will still be very busy with VS, LA, AV, AM, CM, WN, all the Canadian airlines and now NK and F9 international moving over. The Airside 1 FIS will close this weekend.

Happytycho

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:27 pm

Clipper136 wrote:
crownvic wrote:
It appears that the state of the art computerized baggage system malfunctioned on the first day causing a long delay in retrieving bags. And how about no soap in the mens bathroom! How does that happen??

The ultra modern bag system had a fail-safe to prevent FIS (International) arrival bags from "accidentally" being sent to the domestic arrival bag carousels. The system did not take into account CBP pre-cleared flights. So the bags went in the system and did not come out where expected. Took a while to figure out how to get them out of the system without manual intervention.

Did they have the same problem again yesterday? It looked like there were long delays for all the departures after the Aer Lingus Dublin flight arrived.

This also has me pretty curious what the fail-safe is, but I suppose you may not be able to say much more.

KMCOFlyer

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:40 pm

B6 move to Terminal C won’t be happening next Tuesday as scheduled due to TD-09. New move in date not announced yet.

https://twitter.com/mco/status/15733882 ... vnLeA9k0Vw

USAirKid

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:34 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
B6 move to Terminal C won’t be happening next Tuesday as scheduled due to TD-09. New move in date not announced yet.

FYI, TD-9 is Tropical Depression 9, which may or may not mature into a hurricane, or it might just stay as lots of wet weather.

reednavy

Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:41 am

USAirKid wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:

FYI, TD-9 is Tropical Depression 9, which may or may not mature into a hurricane, or it might just stay as lots of wet weather.

The ceiling for future Ian is ridiculously high, and that can't be stressed enough for Florida.

Scraig08

Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:48 pm

Clipper136 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Scraig08 wrote:

Airside 4 will still be very busy with VS, LA, AV, AM, CM, WN, all the Canadian airlines and now NK and F9 international moving over. The Airside 1 FIS will close this weekend.

Ahh yes great point there. It would be nice if Delta expands operations. Could see a seasonal route to CDG and LHR.

avi8

Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:01 pm

I wonder if B6 will eventually regrow MCO.

Scraig08

Sat Sep 24, 2022 3:41 pm

avi8 wrote:

I would hope so especially with merger with Spirit

Ferjer

Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:08 am

I was able to use terminal C today on arrival from LHR on BA, on international arrivals you have to collect your bags first and them pass thru border control, so basically if you are foreign and using MCO as your oort of entry you have to wait first for your bags and them wait for the line. I thinking It would have been easier if you make the line to border control and them you come and collect your bags.

Scraig08

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:58 pm

What are MCO's largest unserved markets?

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:01 pm

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but what's the reaction at SFB been to building additional gates only to lose TUI? Given the layout of the terminal, I'm assuming 1-4 were connected to FIS?

I know they've been able to add Swoop and Flair, but looking at their departure board for today and G4 is only using a handful of gates at the opposite end of the airport.

jplatts

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:15 pm

DeltaRules wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but what's the reaction at SFB been to building additional gates only to lose TUI? Given the layout of the terminal, I'm assuming 1-4 were connected to FIS?

BOS and EWR can likely support G4 nonstop service out of SFB if the B6-NK merger gets approved as B6 will be losing a competitor on MCO-BOS/EWR if the B6-NK merger actually takes place.

BWI can also probably support G4 nonstop service out of SFB if the B6-NK merger gets approved as there would be 1 fewer airline serving the Orlando market nonstop from the Baltimore/Washington region if the B6-NK merger actually takes place.

flymco753

Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:40 pm

Obviously the competitive landscape is going to change in MCO with a B6/NK merger on deck. It’ll be interesting to see what Avelo does more so than G4.

nkops

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:34 pm

DeltaRules wrote:

I know they've been able to add Swoop and Flair, but looking at their departure board for today and G4 is only using a handful of gates at the opposite end of the airport.

Gates 1-4 are not connected to FIS, gate 5-9 are used for the FIS (at this time just the YHM flights, but YKF starts back at the end of the month and YXU in December).

KMCOFlyer

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:05 pm

Interesting that there’s still no update from GOAA on the B6 move to Terminal C. It was postponed from last week due to Hurricane Ian but still no update on a new date for B6 to move in. I assume concessions in Terminal C want B6 in ASAP considering they will make up 80% of all Terminal C flight ops so no B6 means lost revenue not to mention CBP wants to close its FIS station in Airside 1.

Happytycho

Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:37 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
Interesting that there’s still no update from GOAA on the B6 move to Terminal C. It was postponed from last week due to Hurricane Ian but still no update on a new date for B6 to move in. I assume concessions in Terminal C want B6 in ASAP considering they will make up 80% of all Terminal C flight ops so no B6 means lost revenue not to mention CBP wants to close its FIS station in Airside 1.

I've started to wonder if the baggage system has something to do with this.

flymco753

Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:34 am

Aeromexico moved their ticketing to B next to Westjet.

CobaltScar

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:49 pm

Ferjer wrote:
I was able to use terminal C today on arrival from LHR on BA, on international arrivals you have to collect your bags first and them pass thru border control, so basically if you are foreign and using MCO as your oort of entry you have to wait first for your bags and them wait for the line. I thinking It would have been easier if you make the line to border control and them you come and collect your bags.

I actually like this more, as it will stagger the line for immigration as people trickle over as their bags come off the belt. And people with no checked bags will go through the line first while the others wait for their bags, further breaking up the crush on the border control lines.

KMCOFlyer

Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:36 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Aeromexico moved their ticketing to B next to Westjet.

Yet still no update from GOAA on B6 move to Terminal C. Seems very odd.

BobRoss

Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:26 pm

Scraig08 wrote:

Wasn't Hawaiian to HNL performing fairly well? My understanding is they ended this route because they needed the aircraft elsewhere, e.g. SYD and AKL as those markets reopened.

FLYKTPA

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:14 pm

BobRoss wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

Wasn't Hawaiian to HNL performing fairly well? My understanding is they ended this route because they needed the aircraft elsewhere, e.g. SYD and AKL as those markets reopened.

The loads were horrendous.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:24 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
BobRoss wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

The loads were horrendous.

These were the LF's

HAWAIIAN AIRLINES INC.(HA)
HNL Jun 88(**) Jul 90(**) Aug 62(**) Sep 45(**) Oct 63(**) Nov 59(**) Dec 73(**) Jan 56(**) Feb 52(**) Mar 75(17) Apr 66(17) May 91(22)

Scraig08

Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:32 pm

A bit ambitious but could DAL and/or AA establish MCO as a focus city?

More US destinations and a few international routes to the Caribbean, Latin America, and TATL

FARmd90

Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:21 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:

B6 employees were told the move was delayed in part due to Ian but also the baggage system is not working properly. Ian was just a nice little cover story for MCO airport to save face.

flymco753

Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Scraig08 wrote:

More US destinations and a few international routes to the Caribbean, Latin America, and TATL
DL basically runs an informal focus city now with AMS and MIA starting. MCO believe it or not is used as a connection point when hub options are exhausted.

Additionally, I still predict DL will add CDG and LAS at some point.

jplatts

Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:58 pm

Scraig08 wrote:

PDX, SFO, and SEA are the only markets in the U.S. with nonstop service to MCO that don't currently have nonstop service to the Orlando market on WN, B6, F9, NK, G4, MX, or XP.

AA is unlikely to add MCO-PDX/SFO/SEA nonstop service on its own metal with AA's partner AS already serving PDX/SFO/SEA nonstop from MCO.

DL also already operates MCO-SEA nonstop service due to the DL SEA hub.

Any domestic p2p adds that AA or DL would be making out of MCO would likely be going head-to-head with existing nonstop service out of MCO/SFB on WN, F9, or G4.

Scraig08

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:01 pm

flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:
A bit ambitious but could DL and/or AA establish MCO as a focus city?

DL basically runs an informal focus city now with AMS and MIA starting. MCO believe it or not is used as a connection point when hub options are exhausted.

I think we will see DL to CDG either in 2023 or 2024. Why do you predict they will add MCO-LAS?
Last edited by Scraig08 on Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scraig08

Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:

PDX, SFO, and SEA are the only markets in the U.S. with nonstop service to MCO that don't currently have nonstop service to the Orlando market on WN, B6, F9, NK, G4, MX, or XP.

AA is unlikely to add MCO-PDX/SFO/SEA nonstop service on its own metal with AA's partner AS already serving PDX/SFO/SEA nonstop from MCO.

Any domestic p2p adds that AA or DL would be making out of MCO would likely be going head-to-head with existing nonstop service out of MCO/SFB on WN, F9, or G4.

Can see DL to PDX at some future. Since UA dominates SFO, I can't see that happening.

With the way AA is treating AUS and growing ops, does MCO sort of fit into that equation? It may be a bit more difficult with CLT already in the SE as a hub.

flymco753

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:23 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
flymco753 wrote:
Scraig08 wrote:
A bit ambitious but could DL and/or AA establish MCO as a focus city?

I think we will see DL to CDG either in 2023 or 2024. Why do you predict they will add MCO-LAS?
We only have Frontier and Spirit flying it daily, I feel like there’s room. People who do conventions tend to pay good money for their bags. I think a 737-800 would be perfect, leave Orlando in the evening and a red eye home. This could make up either a 3rd CVG or an earlier morning departure to CVG.

Wishful thinking but it could make up a flight to a different destination.

Ferjer

Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:57 am

Now that the Delta/Latam joint venture got the DOT approval i can see Orlando gaining some nonstop flights to LA in Latam metal, Hopefully GRU and LIM goes back to daily. SCL, BOG and some secondary cities in Brazil could be added too.

phatfarmlines

Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:02 pm

Clipper136 wrote:
crownvic wrote:

Scraig08 wrote:

Had the GOAA and CBP preserved the Airside 1 FIS, Airside 4 could have transitioned to a SkyTeam airside. I still think that's a bad arraignment to have NK int'l arrivals on the opposite end of the airport. And even post-B6/NK merger, there will be another carrier with a similar setup.

Scraig08 wrote:

Doubt AA would want to start MCO focus especially given their NEA with B6 will likely (informally) include a "gentleman's agreement" for other non-NEA markets.

flymco753 wrote:

This is where the A220 comes in. Nice aircraft to do P2P on pretty much any segment, short or transcontinental, with costs which make it able to compete with LCC/ULCC.

Ferjer wrote:
Now that the Delta/Latam joint venture got the DOT approval i can see Orlando gaining some nonstop flights to LA in Latam metal, Hopefully GRU and LIM goes back to daily. SCL, BOG and some secondary cities in Brazil could be added too.

:checkmark: Especially in the post-COVID period.

phatfarmlines

Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:52 pm

Since Hurricane Ian overshadowed the opening of Terminal C (even I missed it), some YouTube videos touring the facility. I'm surprised the baggage claim facility sits on a higher level than check-in:

Orlando's Terminal C | A Look Inside Orlando International Airport's $2.8 Billion New Terminal

Source: YouTube user "Go Travel"

Orlando International Airport MCO, New Terminal C Tour! Information For Your Arrival and Departure!

Source: YouTube user "Medling World"

First flights arrive at Orlando International Airport new terminal

Source: WKMG News6 Orlando

readytotaxi

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:09 pm

What is causing the baggage problems, is it software or mechanical?

MAH4546

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:32 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
avi8 wrote:

I would hope so especially with merger with Spirit

Merger don’t create growth. The combined operation will be smaller at MCO and just about everywhere else. The significantly higher costs of the combined airline moving to the JetBlue model will mean routes will but cut, especially from places like MCO, MYR, FLL, RSW and so forth.

Fortunately the merger between JetBlue and Spirit looks increasingly like it will be not be approved by regulators. Let’s all hope that’s the case.
Last edited by MAH4546 on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MAH4546

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:34 pm

[twoid][/twoid]
Ferjer wrote:

LIM is being permanently discontinued in three weeks. SCL already gone. GRU can’t even support daily yet, it’s at 3w. Secondary Brazil? Not happening. Even from Miami LATAM has so far only resumed Fortaleza. The Delta venture doesn’t create any new opportunities that make increases more likely. Miami will be the main connecting hub for the venture, and Delta is adding MCO/LAX-MIA to support that.

Travel between Brazil and the States remains extremely depressed.

flymco753

Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:46 pm

I don’t see Delta bringing in the A220 for regularly scheduled service. The payload planning process of those planes are insane. I’d assume DL would probably be loading 130 or more bags alone since some convention people generally check 3 to 5 pieces of luggage to account for their booth setups and what not.

Also, if DL can score on it, they can transport Gulf grouper fish to Vegas which they sell at higher end restaurants.

FLYKTPA

Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:02 pm

MAH4546 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Ferjer wrote:

LIM is being permanently discontinued in three weeks. SCL already gone. GRU can’t even support daily yet, it’s at 3w. Secondary Brazil? Not happening. Even from Miami LATAM has so far only resumed Fortaleza. The Delta venture doesn’t create any new opportunities that make increases more likely. Miami will be the main connecting hub for the venture, and Delta is adding MCO/LAX-MIA to support that.

LIM shows as a 3x weekly resumption from next spring. Odd to not completely remove it from the system.

BobRoss

Sun Oct 09, 2022 2:30 pm

Scraig08 wrote:
Why do you predict they will add MCO-LAS?

Delta previously flew MCO-LAS.

MAH4546

Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:02 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
Ferjer wrote:

LIM shows as a 3x weekly resumption from next spring. Odd to not completely remove it from the system.

That’s a reversal then. They did completely remove it a few weeks ago.

KMCOFlyer

Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:26 pm

Update from GOAA/MCO on B6 move to Terminal C. B6 International Arrivals will move over to Terminal C starting tomorrow but INTL Departures and domestic ops will remain in Terminal A for now with no move date announced.

https://twitter.com/mco/status/15794641 ... zrB1teRzlg

KMCOFlyer

Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:02 pm

An Orlando local news station (WKMG) is now reporting that the baggage system issues are delaying B6 full move into C until the end of the month (10/25).

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... ng-system/

flymco753

Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:54 pm

KMCOFlyer wrote:
An Orlando local news station (WKMG) is now reporting that the baggage system issues are delaying B6 full move into C until the end of the month (10/25).

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/local ... ng-system/
No surprise.

SANFan

Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:38 pm

jplatts wrote:

IMO, you forgot SAN in your first sentence. F9 is planning on adding a holiday-period MCO-SAN flight for about 2 months (and perhaps reappearing next Spring) but AS is the only carrier currently (and for the last many months) flying the route nonstop. Both WN and F9 stopped serving the market quite a while ago, due to Covid.

The MCO-SAN market is certainly big enough to support at least 2 daily nonstops, whether by a single carrier or more than one; I predict WN will return to the route with a daily flight next year, or whenever staffing/aircraft availability permit, even if F9 should continue flying the route.

Also, AS seems on the verge of taking the route double-daily when feasible. (In fact, they are already doubling up on service over the upcoming Holiday periods.)

bb

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos