Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
RWRCAS
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:03 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:18 pm

hiflyeras wrote:
Chugach wrote:
This morning it looks like FAI and JNU are going from B1 and B3, respectively. It’s like the 90’s all over again at ANC.


LOL Yes! I started flying for Wien in '81 and then with AS in '85...all we knew was the B concourse! I still remember an AS 727-100 catching fire at I think gate B3...luckily it was empty. Total loss but they were being phased out so it wasn't too big of deal. To be honest we were happy to see it go up in flames as the -100's were awful to work as cabin crew. And the company was probably happy to collect the insurance money! If I recall it was an APU fire.


As I recall it was Gate B1 and it was not an APU fire. The aircraft was taxiing in empty to be positioned for an outbound flight and struck the jet bridge rupturing the left wing fuel tank which caused the fire. Both the aircraft and jet bridge were destroyed.
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6884
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:42 am

RWRCAS wrote:
Falcon Flyer wrote:
I haven’t seen any reference but is AS likely to use the -700 on the Paine flights?


The flights I checked were listed on 737-800s.


I’m seeing -900s on the PAE-LAS flights.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:38 am

Any chance of any new service announcements in the near-future?
 
gmcc
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:52 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Any chance of any new service announcements in the near-future?

Best chance of any near future new service announcements would be on the earnings call scheduled for Jan. 27. However, given the current disarray in the PNW with FOG, 5G and staffing, any announcements might be pushed back until things clear up a bit.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:13 am

gmcc wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
Any chance of any new service announcements in the near-future?

Best chance of any near future new service announcements would be on the earnings call scheduled for Jan. 27. However, given the current disarray in the PNW with FOG, 5G and staffing, any announcements might be pushed back until things clear up a bit.


According the forecast up here, and we know how that can go, the fog should be ushered out of the Puget Sound bowl sometime Wednesday evening.
 
phllax
Posts: 745
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:22 am

I took a flight today to OAK and saw at least 2 320's and it looked like 1 321 in short term storage on the ramp with engines and flight deck windows covered. Are those awaiting lease return or are they planned to RTS at some point?
 
32andBelow
Posts: 6192
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:22 am

I heard some e175 got stuck in DLG and they had to unload the pax on the taxiway
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:50 am

phllax wrote:
I took a flight today to OAK and saw at least 2 320's and it looked like 1 321 in short term storage on the ramp with engines and flight deck windows covered. Are those awaiting lease return or are they planned to RTS at some point?


I think they're all A320's. I believe all of the A321-NEO's are in service.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 12375
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:33 am

Just a reminder that all users must ensure that their posts clearly define opinion from fact, if it is fact a source should be provided as well
 
roadrunner165
Posts: 937
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:28 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 am

https://www.kdlg.org/infrastructure/202 ... ham-runway

"On Sunday, a gust of wind unexpectedly hit an Alaska Airlines jet on the Dillingham runway as it was preparing to taxi from the terminal, causing it to slide on the icy tarmac. That’s according to an emailed statement from the airline on Monday.

The jet was carrying 74 passengers and four crew members. The airline said no one was injured, and no equipment was damaged.

Gorden Isaacs was one of the passengers on the plane. He and his wife were headed to a family wedding. They had been trying to fly out for days. On Sunday, they were hopeful, because the jet from Anchorage made it to Dillingham that afternoon. The rain started to pick up as they checked in and boarded the plane."
 
jgcotter
Posts: 1213
Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:17 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
phllax wrote:
I took a flight today to OAK and saw at least 2 320's and it looked like 1 321 in short term storage on the ramp with engines and flight deck windows covered. Are those awaiting lease return or are they planned to RTS at some point?


I think they're all A320's. I believe all of the A321-NEO's are in service.

They’re all 320s; N362VA, N363VA and N364VA, scheduled to go to Allegiant as N196NV, N197NV and N198NV under the terms of the Air Lease Corporation agreement to provide additional MAXs to Alaska.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:33 am

jgcotter wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
phllax wrote:
I took a flight today to OAK and saw at least 2 320's and it looked like 1 321 in short term storage on the ramp with engines and flight deck windows covered. Are those awaiting lease return or are they planned to RTS at some point?


I think they're all A320's. I believe all of the A321-NEO's are in service.

They’re all 320s; N362VA, N363VA and N364VA, scheduled to go to Allegiant as N196NV, N197NV and N198NV under the terms of the Air Lease Corporation agreement to provide additional MAXs to Alaska.


Oh...the irony since they ordered Boeing MAX jets.

Get on the /AS A320's while you can. I read they will all be gone by the end of 2023.
 
User avatar
comairguycvg
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:09 am

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N560AS

Going back to regular colors?
 
USAirKid
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:28 am

comairguycvg wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N560AS

Going back to regular colors?


If it is, the "a" is going to be happy that the "k" has finally eased off.
 
gmcc
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:48 pm

comairguycvg wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N560AS

Going back to regular colors?

Maybe but more likely a maintance run. VCV is normally where AS birds go for paint. OKC is normally maintance.
 
Cardude2
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:59 pm

gmcc wrote:
comairguycvg wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N560AS

Going back to regular colors?

Maybe but more likely a maintance run. VCV is normally where AS birds go for paint. OKC is normally maintance.


correct. OKC is maint and VCV is paint
 
USAirKid
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:42 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:45 am

Cardude2 wrote:
gmcc wrote:
comairguycvg wrote:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N560AS

Going back to regular colors?

Maybe but more likely a maintance run. VCV is normally where AS birds go for paint. OKC is normally maintance.


correct. OKC is maint and VCV is paint


Damn, we’re going to have to give the “a” more painkillers.
 
dfwking
Posts: 118
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:16 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:12 pm

Anyone know what happened to Alaska's A319s? They had 10 from the Virgin America merger right?
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 13128
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:29 pm

dfwking wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Alaska's A319s? They had 10 from the Virgin America merger right?

All were parked at onset of pandemic and are never reentering service with AS. They are being returned to lessor if haven’t already.
 
Western727
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:49 pm

Polot wrote:
dfwking wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Alaska's A319s? They had 10 from the Virgin America merger right?

All were parked at onset of pandemic and are never reentering service with AS. They are being returned to lessor if haven’t already.


This reminds me of the ongoing oddity of "Proudly All Boeing" still being slapped onto new-build MAXes. Even excluding the regionals (Q400s and 175s) it's still not all-Boeing with the 320s and 321s. I understand that the 321s are staying...so what gives?
 
jbs2886
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:00 pm

Western727 wrote:
Polot wrote:
dfwking wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Alaska's A319s? They had 10 from the Virgin America merger right?

All were parked at onset of pandemic and are never reentering service with AS. They are being returned to lessor if haven’t already.


This reminds me of the ongoing oddity of "Proudly All Boeing" still being slapped onto new-build MAXes. Even excluding the regionals (Q400s and 175s) it's still not all-Boeing with the 320s and 321s. I understand that the 321s are staying...so what gives?


Well the plane its on its all Boeing, maybe that's what it meant in the first place - had nothing to do with fleet composition. :lol:
 
User avatar
ikolkyo
Posts: 3556
Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:43 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:05 pm

Western727 wrote:
Polot wrote:
dfwking wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Alaska's A319s? They had 10 from the Virgin America merger right?

All were parked at onset of pandemic and are never reentering service with AS. They are being returned to lessor if haven’t already.


This reminds me of the ongoing oddity of "Proudly All Boeing" still being slapped onto new-build MAXes. Even excluding the regionals (Q400s and 175s) it's still not all-Boeing with the 320s and 321s. I understand that the 321s are staying...so what gives?

Pretty sure they aren’t sticking around long term.
 
Western727
Posts: 2318
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:38 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:17 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
Polot wrote:
All were parked at onset of pandemic and are never reentering service with AS. They are being returned to lessor if haven’t already.


This reminds me of the ongoing oddity of "Proudly All Boeing" still being slapped onto new-build MAXes. Even excluding the regionals (Q400s and 175s) it's still not all-Boeing with the 320s and 321s. I understand that the 321s are staying...so what gives?


Well the plane its on its all Boeing, maybe that's what it meant in the first place - had nothing to do with fleet composition. :lol:


Lol! Good one, and you're technically right! Alas, as Polot opined, "pretty sure they're not sticking around long-term" so that's good to know. Anyone know when the last 32X will be removed from service?
 
jbs2886
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:18 pm

Western727 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

This reminds me of the ongoing oddity of "Proudly All Boeing" still being slapped onto new-build MAXes. Even excluding the regionals (Q400s and 175s) it's still not all-Boeing with the 320s and 321s. I understand that the 321s are staying...so what gives?


Well the plane its on its all Boeing, maybe that's what it meant in the first place - had nothing to do with fleet composition. :lol:


Lol! Good one, and you're technically right! Alas, as Polot opined, "pretty sure they're not sticking around long-term" so that's good to know. Anyone know when the last 32X will be removed from service?


The A320s are gone in 2023, but no date on A321s.
 
gmcc
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:53 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Western727 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Well the plane its on its all Boeing, maybe that's what it meant in the first place - had nothing to do with fleet composition. :lol:


Lol! Good one, and you're technically right! Alas, as Polot opined, "pretty sure they're not sticking around long-term" so that's good to know. Anyone know when the last 32X will be removed from service?


The A320s are gone in 2023, but no date on A321s.

On the earning conference call management confirmed the 321s were on lease till 2030 but did seem open to getting rid of them earlier if it made sense to do that.
 
jbs2886
Posts: 4035
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:56 pm

gmcc wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Lol! Good one, and you're technically right! Alas, as Polot opined, "pretty sure they're not sticking around long-term" so that's good to know. Anyone know when the last 32X will be removed from service?


The A320s are gone in 2023, but no date on A321s.

On the earning conference call management confirmed the 321s were on lease till 2030 but did seem open to getting rid of them earlier if it made sense to do that.


Right, thanks for adding the lease end date. My read is they probably will get rid of them sooner, just want the right circumstances (price + replacement).
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 13128
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:02 pm

My guess is they will be gone long before 2030. It doesn’t make much sense to operate a fleet of just 10 A321s alongside a fleet of 200+ 737s.
 
Cardude2
Posts: 697
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:06 pm

Western727 wrote:
Polot wrote:
dfwking wrote:
Anyone know what happened to Alaska's A319s? They had 10 from the Virgin America merger right?

All were parked at onset of pandemic and are never reentering service with AS. They are being returned to lessor if haven’t already.


This reminds me of the ongoing oddity of "Proudly All Boeing" still being slapped onto new-build MAXes. Even excluding the regionals (Q400s and 175s) it's still not all-Boeing with the 320s and 321s. I understand that the 321s are staying...so what gives?


All A320's will be retired by the end of 2023 unless we hear otherwise

The A321 NEO's were originally slated for 2029 but I guess they will now keep them til their leases run out in the 2030's. But I think they will be retired before them
 
roadrunner165
Posts: 937
Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:28 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:31 pm

This thread seems to be a bit muted as of late, a few of the regulars have gone missing. I didn't see its own thread, but on January 27 Alaska did report their Q4 and full year earnings results.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-rel ... 1-and-full

"While recovery in our industry is never linear, our caring and dedicated people and the strength of our competitive advantages position us for success no matter what challenges we face," said CEO Ben Minicucci. "Despite operational disruption from omicron and severe winter weather in December, our fourth quarter adjusted pre-tax margin was 2.4%, marking one of the industry's most profitable performances in Q4 and the second half of the year. We have laid a solid foundation for our return to 100% of our pre-COVID flying by summer 2022 and we're poised to grow from there."

Alaska's fourth quarter and full year 2021 results reflect a disciplined focus on cost management and a measured approach to bringing back capacity in recovery. In addition to delivering profitability in the second half of the year, Alaska's financial performance enabled the company to restore its debt-to-capitalization ratio to pre-pandemic levels in the fourth quarter, priming the airlines for profitable growth in 2022.

Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year:

Reported net income for the fourth quarter and full year 2021 under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) of $18 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, and $478 million, or $3.77 per diluted share. These results compare to a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year 2020 of $447 million, or $3.60 per share, and $1.3 billion, or $10.72 per share.

Reported net income for the fourth quarter and net loss for the full year 2021, excluding special items and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $31 million, or $0.24 per diluted share, and $256 million, or $2.03 per share. These results compare to a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year 2020, excluding special items and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $316 million, or $2.54 per share, and $1.3 billion, or $10.17 per share.

Reported adjusted pre-tax margin for the fourth quarter of 2021 of 2.4%, marking the second profitable quarter on an adjusted basis since the onset of the pandemic.
Recorded $42 million and $151 million of incentive pay in the fourth quarter and full year 2021 earned by employees for meeting or exceeding cash flow, cost management, and safety goals, representing approximately three weeks pay for most employees.

Balance Sheet and Liquidity at Year End:
Reported a debt-to-capitalization ratio of 49%, a reduction of 12 points from December 31, 2020, and the lowest level since the first quarter of 2020.
For the full year, generated $138 million in operating cash flows, net of Payroll Support Program grant funds received.
Repaid $112 million in debt in the fourth quarter, bringing total debt payments to $1.3 billion for the year.
Held $3.1 billion in unrestricted cash and marketable securities as of December 31, 2021.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:14 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
This thread seems to be a bit muted as of late, a few of the regulars have gone missing. I didn't see its own thread, but on January 27 Alaska did report their Q4 and full year earnings results.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-rel ... 1-and-full

"While recovery in our industry is never linear, our caring and dedicated people and the strength of our competitive advantages position us for success no matter what challenges we face," said CEO Ben Minicucci. "Despite operational disruption from omicron and severe winter weather in December, our fourth quarter adjusted pre-tax margin was 2.4%, marking one of the industry's most profitable performances in Q4 and the second half of the year. We have laid a solid foundation for our return to 100% of our pre-COVID flying by summer 2022 and we're poised to grow from there."

Alaska's fourth quarter and full year 2021 results reflect a disciplined focus on cost management and a measured approach to bringing back capacity in recovery. In addition to delivering profitability in the second half of the year, Alaska's financial performance enabled the company to restore its debt-to-capitalization ratio to pre-pandemic levels in the fourth quarter, priming the airlines for profitable growth in 2022.

Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year:

Reported net income for the fourth quarter and full year 2021 under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) of $18 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, and $478 million, or $3.77 per diluted share. These results compare to a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year 2020 of $447 million, or $3.60 per share, and $1.3 billion, or $10.72 per share.

Reported net income for the fourth quarter and net loss for the full year 2021, excluding special items and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $31 million, or $0.24 per diluted share, and $256 million, or $2.03 per share. These results compare to a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year 2020, excluding special items and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $316 million, or $2.54 per share, and $1.3 billion, or $10.17 per share.

Reported adjusted pre-tax margin for the fourth quarter of 2021 of 2.4%, marking the second profitable quarter on an adjusted basis since the onset of the pandemic.
Recorded $42 million and $151 million of incentive pay in the fourth quarter and full year 2021 earned by employees for meeting or exceeding cash flow, cost management, and safety goals, representing approximately three weeks pay for most employees.

Balance Sheet and Liquidity at Year End:
Reported a debt-to-capitalization ratio of 49%, a reduction of 12 points from December 31, 2020, and the lowest level since the first quarter of 2020.
For the full year, generated $138 million in operating cash flows, net of Payroll Support Program grant funds received.
Repaid $112 million in debt in the fourth quarter, bringing total debt payments to $1.3 billion for the year.
Held $3.1 billion in unrestricted cash and marketable securities as of December 31, 2021.


I hope there are some new city-pair announcements or new destinations in the near future.
 
AC4500
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:27 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:
This thread seems to be a bit muted as of late, a few of the regulars have gone missing. I didn't see its own thread, but on January 27 Alaska did report their Q4 and full year earnings results.

https://investor.alaskaair.com/news-rel ... 1-and-full

"While recovery in our industry is never linear, our caring and dedicated people and the strength of our competitive advantages position us for success no matter what challenges we face," said CEO Ben Minicucci. "Despite operational disruption from omicron and severe winter weather in December, our fourth quarter adjusted pre-tax margin was 2.4%, marking one of the industry's most profitable performances in Q4 and the second half of the year. We have laid a solid foundation for our return to 100% of our pre-COVID flying by summer 2022 and we're poised to grow from there."

Alaska's fourth quarter and full year 2021 results reflect a disciplined focus on cost management and a measured approach to bringing back capacity in recovery. In addition to delivering profitability in the second half of the year, Alaska's financial performance enabled the company to restore its debt-to-capitalization ratio to pre-pandemic levels in the fourth quarter, priming the airlines for profitable growth in 2022.

Financial Results for the Fourth Quarter and Full Year:

Reported net income for the fourth quarter and full year 2021 under Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) of $18 million, or $0.14 per diluted share, and $478 million, or $3.77 per diluted share. These results compare to a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year 2020 of $447 million, or $3.60 per share, and $1.3 billion, or $10.72 per share.

Reported net income for the fourth quarter and net loss for the full year 2021, excluding special items and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $31 million, or $0.24 per diluted share, and $256 million, or $2.03 per share. These results compare to a net loss for the fourth quarter and full year 2020, excluding special items and mark-to-market fuel hedge accounting adjustments, of $316 million, or $2.54 per share, and $1.3 billion, or $10.17 per share.

Reported adjusted pre-tax margin for the fourth quarter of 2021 of 2.4%, marking the second profitable quarter on an adjusted basis since the onset of the pandemic.
Recorded $42 million and $151 million of incentive pay in the fourth quarter and full year 2021 earned by employees for meeting or exceeding cash flow, cost management, and safety goals, representing approximately three weeks pay for most employees.

Balance Sheet and Liquidity at Year End:
Reported a debt-to-capitalization ratio of 49%, a reduction of 12 points from December 31, 2020, and the lowest level since the first quarter of 2020.
For the full year, generated $138 million in operating cash flows, net of Payroll Support Program grant funds received.
Repaid $112 million in debt in the fourth quarter, bringing total debt payments to $1.3 billion for the year.
Held $3.1 billion in unrestricted cash and marketable securities as of December 31, 2021.


I hope there are some new city-pair announcements or new destinations in the near future.

Airlines typically announce their summer plans (i.e. new routes) right about now. I'm sure there will be something new announced relatively soon.
 
AC4500
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:29 am

If the "outdoor" leisure destination trend continues, I'd love to see PDX-FAI return.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:12 am

AC4500 wrote:
If the "outdoor" leisure destination trend continues, I'd love to see PDX-FAI return.


I'm hoping for SEA-ACV.
 
User avatar
usxguy
Posts: 2053
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sat Feb 05, 2022 5:08 pm

The A321NEOs have much better performance at DCA compared to the Boeings, and have a few more seats than the 900s, so they are put on some of the heavier-capacity, long range routes. Interestingly they aren't doing ANY Hawai'i, its a much more comfortable aircraft than the Boeings. Not sure I see Alaska dumping them until they get Max 10s on property, which rumor mill says will happen.

Alaska called a bunch of Gold & 75Ks to Seattle to check out some lie-flat seats, they were tooling around with the idea of adding them to the Airbus Neo fleet and using them on premium routes. Alaska, while has stated they don't want lie-flats, may be pushed to offer them and that's just ONE idea. Doesn't mean its going to happen, but they at least have a seat figured out if and WHEN.
 
AC4500
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:33 pm

Schedule updated through 8/15. Lots of odd reductions for summer capacity, mostly at PDX. I wonder if AS is betting on staffing issues lasting through the summer months.
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:47 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Schedule updated through 8/15. Lots of odd reductions for summer capacity, mostly at PDX. I wonder if AS is betting on staffing issues lasting through the summer months.


That could be, but their schedule may not be finalized. And they could be bolstering their SEA schedule. It seems like a lot of PDX is under construction these days and the number of gates have been reduced.
 
AC4500
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:55 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Schedule updated through 8/15. Lots of odd reductions for summer capacity, mostly at PDX. I wonder if AS is betting on staffing issues lasting through the summer months.


That could be, but their schedule may not be finalized. And they could be bolstering their SEA schedule. It seems like a lot of PDX is under construction these days and the number of gates have been reduced.

Since Concourse B just opened, some of that gate pressure should be relieved by now. They've been updating their schedules constantly at the last minute, which has been a trend with most airlines since Omicron has spread.
 
sfojvjets
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:00 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:11 pm

usxguy wrote:
The A321NEOs have much better performance at DCA compared to the Boeings, and have a few more seats than the 900s, so they are put on some of the heavier-capacity, long range routes. Interestingly they aren't doing ANY Hawai'i, its a much more comfortable aircraft than the Boeings. Not sure I see Alaska dumping them until they get Max 10s on property, which rumor mill says will happen.

Alaska called a bunch of Gold & 75Ks to Seattle to check out some lie-flat seats, they were tooling around with the idea of adding them to the Airbus Neo fleet and using them on premium routes. Alaska, while has stated they don't want lie-flats, may be pushed to offer them and that's just ONE idea. Doesn't mean its going to happen, but they at least have a seat figured out if and WHEN.

Thanks for the update. Definitely hope this goes through... would be great to see them appeal to more premium pax. I imagine that if this happens, the neos would have to be restricted to just two hubs, being SFO and SEA. Who is going to pay big bucks for a lieflat on a route such as PDX-MCO? Or would Alaska still have to keep them on current routes such as DCA, where only the 321neo can operate unrestricted??
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:17 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Schedule updated through 8/15. Lots of odd reductions for summer capacity, mostly at PDX. I wonder if AS is betting on staffing issues lasting through the summer months.


That could be, but their schedule may not be finalized. And they could be bolstering their SEA schedule. It seems like a lot of PDX is under construction these days and the number of gates have been reduced.

Since Concourse B just opened, some of that gate pressure should be relieved by now. They've been updating their schedules constantly at the last minute, which has been a trend with most airlines since Omicron has spread.


That was my next question...is Concourse B opened now, and how many gates are there at Concourse B? Is Concourse A history forever?
 
AC4500
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:32 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

That could be, but their schedule may not be finalized. And they could be bolstering their SEA schedule. It seems like a lot of PDX is under construction these days and the number of gates have been reduced.

Since Concourse B just opened, some of that gate pressure should be relieved by now. They've been updating their schedules constantly at the last minute, which has been a trend with most airlines since Omicron has spread.


That was my next question...is Concourse B opened now, and how many gates are there at Concourse B? Is Concourse A history forever?

Concourse A is gone for good, and was demolished in 2019.

Concourse B has 3 gates with jetways (B3-B5) and 6 hardstand gates (B6-B11). IIRC, the old concourse A actually had 12 gates (all hardstands, A1-A12). This was in addition to the three original jetway gates in the old concourse B. It's a net loss of six gates.
 
lhpdx
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:35 pm

CC-B which has a total of 10 gates opened on Dec-8th 2021 and CC-A is history...CC-B1 gate will be operational once the temporary connectors are removed on the south side of the airport in 2025.....
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 6166
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:41 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
Since Concourse B just opened, some of that gate pressure should be relieved by now. They've been updating their schedules constantly at the last minute, which has been a trend with most airlines since Omicron has spread.


That was my next question...is Concourse B opened now, and how many gates are there at Concourse B? Is Concourse A history forever?

Concourse A is gone for good, and was demolished in 2019.

Concourse B has 3 gates with jetways (B3-B5) and 6 hardstand gates (B6-B11). IIRC, the old concourse A actually had 12 gates (all hardstands, A1-A12). This was in addition to the three original jetway gates in the old concourse B. It's a net loss of six gates.


Does that mean that QX Q400 gates will move from the end of C back to B? I'll have to go down to PDX soon. The last time I was there, A was still very active.
 
lhpdx
Posts: 988
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:36 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:58 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

That was my next question...is Concourse B opened now, and how many gates are there at Concourse B? Is Concourse A history forever?

Concourse A is gone for good, and was demolished in 2019.

Concourse B has 3 gates with jetways (B3-B5) and 6 hardstand gates (B6-B11). IIRC, the old concourse A actually had 12 gates (all hardstands, A1-A12). This was in addition to the three original jetway gates in the old concourse B. It's a net loss of six gates.


Does that mean that QX Q400 gates will move from the end of C back to B? I'll have to go down to PDX soon. The last time I was there, A was still very active.


That has already happened...Those gates at the end of C will revert back to jetways duty in the spring...
 
packmedic
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:03 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:17 am

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
chrisair wrote:
trueblew wrote:
The airlines have done a decent job of illustrating exactly how safe being on an airplane is, but then they take these actions that speak louder than their words.


Back in December Alaska still had the "It's safe to fly - and experts AGREE" signs up. They had them up all of 2021. Probably should take them down if this is going on.

Now, the staffing shortages for catering are probably very, very real.

[quote="AAtakeMeAway"
But in any case - none of the AS experts here know what exactly qualifies as mid-haul on AS?


This probably changed but the breakdowns used to be <500 miles, 501-1,099 miles, 1,100-2,000 miles and >2,000 miles.

Sorry to sound to dense, but I'm not sure how AS would label those thresholds you described since there are four-- is it short-haul, mid-haul, long-haul, ultra long-haul?


No Service: 0-221 miles
Limited: 222-349 miles
Ultra Short Haul: 350-669 miles
Short Haul: 670-1099 miles
Medium Haul: 1100-1449 miles
Long Haul: 1450+ miles
Premium Long Haul: Hawaii, Florida, DC area, JFK, EWR, BOS, PHL
 
Lono
Posts: 1137
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2004 5:47 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:16 pm

gmcc wrote:
Bit of hiring news from QX. They now have FO listings for pilots meeting minimums and one for pilots who will meet the minimums within 6 months.
Also QX is advertising an ANC base which should help the increased flying in Alaska.



I noticed that “QX is advertising an ANC base”

I know AS is hiring here but I haven’t noticed QX hiring. What do we know about the proposed base? Will QX perform the EAS cities AS now services?
 
gmcc
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:59 pm

Lono wrote:
gmcc wrote:
Bit of hiring news from QX. They now have FO listings for pilots meeting minimums and one for pilots who will meet the minimums within 6 months.
Also QX is advertising an ANC base which should help the increased flying in Alaska.



I noticed that “QX is advertising an ANC base”

I know AS is hiring here but I haven’t noticed QX hiring. What do we know about the proposed base? Will QX perform the EAS cities AS now services?

QX jobs post on alaskaair.jobs so there may not be a separate section for ANC. The ADN link below had some more service details but since I am past the one article limit and my brain is old I don't remember the exact details.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/travel/ ... al-alaska/
 
BangersAndMash
Posts: 650
Joined: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:12 pm

gmcc wrote:
Lono wrote:
gmcc wrote:
Bit of hiring news from QX. They now have FO listings for pilots meeting minimums and one for pilots who will meet the minimums within 6 months.
Also QX is advertising an ANC base which should help the increased flying in Alaska.



I noticed that “QX is advertising an ANC base”

I know AS is hiring here but I haven’t noticed QX hiring. What do we know about the proposed base? Will QX perform the EAS cities AS now services?

QX jobs post on alaskaair.jobs so there may not be a separate section for ANC. The ADN link below had some more service details but since I am past the one article limit and my brain is old I don't remember the exact details.
https://www.adn.com/alaska-life/travel/ ... al-alaska/


Younger, one-article virgin to the rescue! :biggrin:

QX was already serving King Salmon, Dillingham and Fairbanks. They will be adding Kodiak, Nome, Prudhoe Bay and Kotzebue this summer, as well as 2x ANC-SEA and 1x FAI-SEA.

A QX base for both pilots and flight attendants at ANC is also mentioned in the article.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 927
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:16 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I hope there are some new city-pair announcements or new destinations in the near future.


Very unlikely.

Quote from Andrew Harrison on the earnings call

A material portion of our planned growth in the back half of 2022 will be from our Pacific Northwest hubs as we look to continue to enhance relevance and scale, mostly through scheduled depth. California demand has recovered more slowly than the rest of the network. You're going to see very, very, very few new markets from Alaska Airlines. It's just returning scheduled depth. And that's what's really going to happen.
 
AC4500
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:26 pm

UPlog wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I hope there are some new city-pair announcements or new destinations in the near future.


Very unlikely.

Quote from Andrew Harrison on the earnings call

A material portion of our planned growth in the back half of 2022 will be from our Pacific Northwest hubs as we look to continue to enhance relevance and scale, mostly through scheduled depth. California demand has recovered more slowly than the rest of the network. You're going to see very, very, very few new markets from Alaska Airlines. It's just returning scheduled depth. And that's what's really going to happen.

Well, that makes sense.

AS still has a long way to go until they're at 100% pre-COVID capacity. So far, new markets that have been announced from the pandemic like PDX-CUN/MSY/TPA have all been complete busts. Instead they're targeting an increased frequency on routes that they already know work very well, like PDX-LAS/SMF, etc.
 
gmcc
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:54 am

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:16 pm

Also of note during the 4th quarter call the investors day that was originally scheduled for November appear to have been rescheduled for March 24 in New York. That should help clarify what AS management is focused on.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos