Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ASFlyer

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:58 pm

itripreport wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Cardude2 wrote:

that route hasn't flown on a 73G since the VS merger

FlightAware disagrees. Flight 544 on 6/16.

All 73G routes flown out of alaska are flown on a “one off” Basis. Aka the plane is only scheduled to fly on it a very rare/swap basis. The last time I remember the 737-700 operating scheduled service was SNA/OAK-SEA pre pandemic. After that you’ll only see them flying continental US routes as swaps or one offs

This isn’t true. Alaska is scheduling the 73G south of Alaska on a fairly regular basis these days.

AC4500

Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:53 pm

Not sure if this was loaded into the schedule recently, or awhile ago, but I see that PHX-BOI will be upgauged from an E175 to a 737 starting 9/7/22.

Wneast

Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:24 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Not sure if this was loaded into the schedule recently, or awhile ago, but I see that PHX-BOI will be upgauged from an E175 to a 737 starting 9/7/22.

I think it’s was awhile ago but That’s a good sign.

SuperDash

Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:45 pm

MAX 9 #25 N938AK has been delivered. It is in OAK for post delivery work.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N93 ... /KBFI/KOAK

laca773

Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:52 pm

They also send the 73G on SEA-ONT now & then.

laca773

Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:55 pm

SBA & FAT are good markets for the 73G.

wedgetail737

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:55 am

If you want an almost-sure-bet on getting on a 73G, just fly to AK destinations up and down the panhandle (not the Aleutians).

unmlobo

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:20 am

AWACSooner wrote:
Weekly “your schedule has changed” updates: 4/12 remaining itineraries requiring a call into AS reservations…all from 1 Oct- 15 Nov. And all these itineraries had a schedule change two weeks ago.

At this rate, AS might as well go the WN route and do scheduling a few months at a time…this weekly change crap is why I’m not re-upping my 100K this year!

I am frustrated as a lowly MVP who lives across the street from DAL with all the schedule changes and the suspension of LAX through at least the end of November. I can't imagine your frustration as a 100k who comes in from Shreveport.

Dallas Morning News reported a possible settlement in the lawsuit over Love Field gates against the city and DL by WN. It would be unfortunate, but I am guessing we'll see DL take control of at least one of AS' gates if not both until the sublease with AA expires in 2024 and they retake control of the gates

sfojvjets

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:59 am

unmlobo wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:
Weekly “your schedule has changed” updates: 4/12 remaining itineraries requiring a call into AS reservations…all from 1 Oct- 15 Nov. And all these itineraries had a schedule change two weeks ago.

At this rate, AS might as well go the WN route and do scheduling a few months at a time…this weekly change crap is why I’m not re-upping my 100K this year!

I am frustrated as a lowly MVP who lives across the street from DAL with all the schedule changes and the suspension of LAX through at least the end of November. I can't imagine your frustration as a 100k who comes in from Shreveport.

Dallas Morning News reported a possible settlement in the lawsuit over Love Field gates against the city and DL by WN. It would be unfortunate, but I am guessing we'll see DL take control of at least one of AS' gates if not both until the sublease with AA expires in 2024 and they retake control of the gates

At least AS will regain schedule reliability when (if?) they move their ops to DFW. Also: this isn't really related, but I don't understand at all why they have only one destination from IAH. They don't even operate PDX to IAH which is shocking to me.

I would like to see them connect Belize City and San Francisco as well... I would have said Liberia down in Costa Rica as well but AS slept on it despite their strategy in SFO (which, let's face it, they absolutely suck at attracting business traffic in the Bay Area so their only option is leisure). Given that CUN, ZIH, LTO, MZT, TPA have all been recent launches from SFO within the past 1-2 years, LIR (and BZE) fit that bill perfectly except for the fact that LIR has a longer stage length. Costa Rica's booming tourism during and after the pandemic contributed to United's launch of LIR-SFO and I don't know if AS wants to compete with them.

Edit: Of course the biggest holes in AS's SFO network that I see as of right now are Kona and Lihue, and I would love for them to add MFR/EUG/RNO/SBA.

camdawg

Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:05 am

AS lack of Kona and Lihue from SFO is a huge hole. The spring 23 schedule doesn't have a non redeye back from LIH.

I feel like AS could have started SFO-EUG to complete with United and missed a big opportunity. UAs loads have been and will continue to be great all summer.

d8s

Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:44 am

unmlobo wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

As a 100k on AS my breaking point was Mother's Day Weekend when my flight from SNA to SEA was cancelled the night before. I spent a few hours in the DL SkyMiles lounge in SAN working on a status match and haven't looked back since.

jplatts

Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:24 pm

sfojvjets wrote:
Also: this isn't really related, but I don't understand at all why they have only one destination from IAH. They don't even operate PDX to IAH which is shocking to me.

There was a discussion regarding the possibility of AS adding IAH-PDX nonstop service over in the Houston Aviation thread last year, and that discussion can be found at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456185&p=22641739#p22714951.

I can also understand AS not currently serving IAH nonstop from PDX with the operational issues that AS is currently facing (which forced AS to make cuts on some of its existing routes out of PDX).

Even though VX had considered adding service to SFO from Houston prior to the AS-VX merger, I can understand AS not serving SFO nonstop from IAH with SFO-IAH being a hub-to-hub nonstop route for UA along with WN serving OAK/SJC nonstop from HOU.

ASFlyer

Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:50 pm

d8s wrote:
unmlobo wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

As a 100k on AS my breaking point was Mother's Day Weekend when my flight from SNA to SEA was cancelled the night before. I spent a few hours in the DL SkyMiles lounge in SAN working on a status match and haven't looked back since.

your Mother's Day experience is indeed unfortunate. That not withstanding, these days when you look at the cancelled flights on the large boards at Sea-Tac, its Delta that has the majority of cancellations. It seems the staffing issues that Alaska experienced in a big way were not limited to just Alaska.

d8s

Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:41 pm

ASFlyer wrote:
d8s wrote:
unmlobo wrote:

your Mother's Day experience is indeed unfortunate. That not withstanding, these days when you look at the cancelled flights on the large boards at Sea-Tac, its Delta that has the majority of cancellations. It seems the staffing issues that Alaska experienced in a big way were not limited to just Alaska.

I lived through the pandemic with AS, I lived through the December meltdown, the January meltdown, March meltdown...when 50% of my flights for the yearwere cancelled or significantly delayed I had enough. I haven't had the same issues with DL to date.

ASFlyer

Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:52 am

d8s wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
d8s wrote:

I lived through the pandemic with AS, I lived through the December meltdown, the January meltdown, March meltdown...when 50% of my flights for the yearwere cancelled or significantly delayed I had enough. I haven't had the same issues with DL to date.

fair enough, I'm not trying to change your mind. Just reporting my first hand observations of late. Maybe things are getting better at Delta. Arguably, they've run a tight operation for a very long time.

wedgetail737

Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:29 am

ASFlyer wrote:
d8s wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

fair enough, I'm not trying to change your mind. Just reporting my first hand observations of late. Maybe things are getting better at Delta. Arguably, they've run a tight operation for a very long time.

I had the opposite...I had too many crappy things happen to me by DL, but no issues with AS. I had one SEA-SJC flight cancel on me a few months ago.

d8s

Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:06 am

ASFlyer wrote:
d8s wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:

I'll be honest, I won't really give allegiance to any of them right now. I was on DL 2 weeks ago, AS last week, will be on DL next week. I have found the F product on DL to be superior while the premium on AS is better.

d8s

Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:09 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
ASFlyer wrote:
d8s wrote:

I had the opposite...I had too many crappy things happen to me by DL, but no issues with AS. I had one SEA-SJC flight cancel on me a few months ago.

End of December I had AS cancel on me last minute: their re-route was SNA-PDX-LAS-SEA. I called and set up a new flight which they also cancelled. I had to fly SNA-PDX and drove through the blizzard to get home. I called the MVP line earlier in the day, received a call back 26 hours later (when I was at home). The next week we were delayed 2 hours, landed in SEA, sat on the ground another 2 hours. Sitting on that flight they cancelled the flight I was on the next day. December to March were a HUGE cluster for AS

frmrCapCadet

Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:07 pm

Two kinds of cancellations: Those where rebooking offered by the airline with more or less acceptable time delays. Then there are those that leave you truly stranded. So much for the a-netters who have asserted the only thing an airline owes you is getting you from A to B, and then B to A. Passenger bill of rights (government) should speak to the later.

SANFan

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:36 pm

I'm just curious if anyone has seen any major sked revisions on AS following last Saturday night's OAG load?

I've seen a couple of small "adjustments" on a couple of SAN routes but this didn't seem to involve a major sked extension or slice-and-dice. (Phew!)

From what I've seen, the March 16, 2023 schedule should be a fairly major one; spring schedules are usually introduced around then and sometimes even a new route or two are started. (I have no idea when Spring Break is next year so that may factor in as well.) I do know that SAN's suspended route, SBA, is currently shown as re-starting on that date. For the most part, those 3/16/23 schedules right now are still place-holders and I expect it will be a month or two before AS starts firming things up.

I'm personally hoping that by next March, things will be looking much better for the airlines in general, AS in particular. I'm sure many will not agree but I can hope...

bb

SuperDash

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:02 pm

MAX 9 #26 N977AK has delivered and is on its way to OAK.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97 ... /KPAE/KOAK

jgcotter

Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:59 am

E175 N430SY delivered to OO on 6/23 to operate for AAG. This brings the E175 count operated for AAG to 72; 42 at OO and 30 at QX.

Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:44 pm

jgcotter wrote:
E175 N430SY delivered to OO on 6/23 to operate for AAG. This brings the E175 count operated for AAG to 72; 42 at OO and 30 at QX.

Looks like all E175s have been delivered to OO for Alaska. 10 E175s are still due to be delivered to Horizon. Not sure what the timeline is for those...

SuperDash

Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:37 pm

MAX 9 #27 N942AK has delivered and is on its way to Oakland.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N94 ... /KBFI/KOAK

usxguy

Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:16 pm

e175a321fan wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

Looks like all E175s have been delivered to OO for Alaska. 10 E175s are still due to be delivered to Horizon. Not sure what the timeline is for those...

I wouldn't be surprised if those deliveries get slowed... does QX have any new hires in its pipeline? I'd think its gone dry with EN & JS offering those massive high wages...

SuperDash

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:07 am

I missed the 2nd delivery yesterday.

MAX 9 #28 N978AK has delivered and was also flown to OAK.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97 ... /KPAE/KOAK

wedgetail737

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:12 am

Something came to mind regarding the upcoming retirement of the Q400's. The first thing is that the need for the Al La Cart Service will be gone. Also, the free beer and wine will also be gone for all passengers.

chrisair

Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:05 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Something came to mind regarding the upcoming retirement of the Q400's. The first thing is that the need for the Al La Cart Service will be gone. Also, the free beer and wine will also be gone for all passengers.

The loss of the free booze is a bummer—especially on the long flights. I have lots of fond memories of the 2+ hour CR7 flights turning into booze cruises. “Sure, just leave the bottle!” That’s also the only way one can tolerate that Q400 for long flights.

The a la carte service is no big loss to me. You can get everything into the overheads on the E175s. Waiting for them to offload those bags in the snow/rain/wind in Seattle or Portland or Spokane was never fun.

jgcotter wrote:

That’s a nice whipsaw!

USAirALB

Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:46 am

wedgetail737 wrote:

Does QX still offer the free beer/wine on Q400 flights? They don't have any mention of the feature anymore on the AS website.

There are only so many Q400 flights over 350 miles with service (a quick, unofficial analysis displays sea-boi/hln/fca/mso/yyc/yeg/gtf/rdd/mfr/sun, pdx-fat/mso/rno) that I could see AS deciding it wasn't worth it. Sad, but understandable. Wasn't QX the airline that use to brew coffee on the ground before flights and carry it on to serve?

gunsontheroof

Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:28 am

USAirALB wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Does QX still offer the free beer/wine on Q400 flights? They don't have any mention of the feature anymore on the AS website.

There are only so many Q400 flights over 350 miles with service (a quick, unofficial analysis displays sea-boi/hln/fca/mso/yyc/yeg/gtf/rdd/mfr/sun, pdx-fat/mso/rno) that I could see AS deciding it wasn't worth it. Sad, but understandable. Wasn't QX the airline that use to brew coffee on the ground before flights and carry it on to serve?

They did when I flew SEA-MSO-SEA last year (nine or so months ago), so probably? I really like the 175s and consolidating to that single fleet makes sense, but I’ll miss the Q400. They’re a fun ride and have been a constant presence in the Seattle skies for a long time. It’ll be a sad day when the last one goes!

wedgetail737

Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:55 pm

USAirALB wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Yes...they offer free beer and wine on my Q400 flight from SEA to RNO last Spring.

msp747

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:45 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
USAirALB wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

They did when I flew SEA-MSO-SEA last year (nine or so months ago), so probably? I really like the 175s and consolidating to that single fleet makes sense, but I’ll miss the Q400. They’re a fun ride and have been a constant presence in the Seattle skies for a long time. It’ll be a sad day when the last one goes!

Me too. I've always enjoyed flying on them. Takeoffs are a lot of fun... gets airborne in a hurry! Plus being able to board/deplane through the back is nice too.

msp747

Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:48 pm

usxguy wrote:
e175a321fan wrote:
jgcotter wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if those deliveries get slowed... does QX have any new hires in its pipeline? I'd think its gone dry with EN & JS offering those massive high wages...

They are retiring more than 30 Q400's by the end of next year. Those pilots need to fly something.

32andBelow

Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:18 pm

msp747 wrote:
usxguy wrote:
e175a321fan wrote:

They are retiring more than 30 Q400's by the end of next year. Those pilots need to fly something.

They’re probably going to be flying 737s and a320s and 747s

SANFan

Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:19 pm

Looks like AS extended their schedules (aka: extended their cuts to the schedules) another month into 2023 last night during the OAG load. The trimmed schedules are now in effect from mid-February to March 15.

I've just started looking around but so far I see most of SAN's double-daily nonstop placeholders, on routes such as BOS, BOI, GEG & HNL have been "fixed" and are now back to the usual single flights in the markets. I imagine a lot of the usual posters here will be reporting cancelled flights and (hopeful) reaccomodations happening again to their scheduled trips for next year.

The next schedule extension will take effect on the March 16 which, AFAIK, contains some major changes for Spring, including the return of some suspended routes. I guess that might end up being the tell as to how 2023 is going for Alaska... I expect we'll see this schedule extension released in 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed on that one.

bb

hiflyeras

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:04 pm

SANFan wrote:
Looks like AS extended their schedules (aka: extended their cuts to the schedules) another month into 2023 last night during the OAG load. The trimmed schedules are now in effect from mid-February to March 15.

I've just started looking around but so far I see most of SAN's double-daily nonstop placeholders, on routes such as BOS, BOI, GEG & HNL have been "fixed" and are now back to the usual single flights in the markets. I imagine a lot of the usual posters here will be reporting cancelled flights and (hopeful) reaccomodations happening again to their scheduled trips for next year.

The next schedule extension will take effect on the March 16 which, AFAIK, contains some major changes for Spring, including the return of some suspended routes. I guess that might end up being the tell as to how 2023 is going for Alaska... I expect we'll see this schedule extension released in 2-3 weeks. Fingers crossed on that one.

bb

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been worried that there’d be deeper cuts come fall so if they can keep the status quo I’ll be happy!

ikolkyo

Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:12 pm

MAX 9s appear to be flowing with the -900ER fleet now, they're flying all around the network.

32andBelow

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:21 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
MAX 9s appear to be flowing with the -900ER fleet now, they're flying all around the network.

Saw one flying between ANC and FAI yesterday

BangersAndMash

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:27 pm

Looks like AS and TN will be codesharing after all. Initially on LAX-PPT, and on SEA-PPT when it launches.

https://aeroroutes.com/eng/220704-tnascodeshare

sfojvjets

Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:49 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
Looks like AS and TN will be codesharing after all. Initially on LAX-PPT, and on SEA-PPT when it launches.

Would have loved to see TN start SFO but with 2 airlines already flying SFO-PPT that looks unlikely even with the AS partnership :(

BangersAndMash

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:28 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:

Actually, correction. The initial phase seems one way only, with TN codesharing on AS routes beyond LAX and SEA. :oops:

cschleic

Mon Jul 04, 2022 6:38 pm

chrisair wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

The loss of the free booze is a bummer—especially on the long flights. I have lots of fond memories of the 2+ hour CR7 flights turning into booze cruises. “Sure, just leave the bottle!” That’s also the only way one can tolerate that Q400 for long flights.

The a la carte service is no big loss to me. You can get everything into the overheads on the E175s. Waiting for them to offload those bags in the snow/rain/wind in Seattle or Portland or Spokane was never fun.

jgcotter wrote:

That’s a nice whipsaw!

I don't know, there are plusses and minuses to a la cart. Yes, most bags fit into the E175s overheads but that's only on one side of the plane, and in coach they have to be stowed length wise rather than handles / wheels out as on larger planes or in F, so there are the usual requests and eventual forced gate-checking of bags. Not every passenger's bag makes it onto the E175. The cart doesn't have that issue and some larger bags can be taken on the Q400s that way. If the weather's bad you can always wait on the plane. Boarding and deplaning from a Q400 is faster with both doors so I don't think overall time is any longer than on an E175. While I prefer the E175 in terms of flying, I like the cart's flexibility and prefer that for short flights. Plus the Q400s are faster in and out of the airport.

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:44 pm

BangersAndMash wrote:
BangersAndMash wrote:

Actually, correction. The initial phase seems one way only, with TN codesharing on AS routes beyond LAX and SEA. :oops:

As long as I can accrue Elite miles in Business Class on TN, that's all I care.

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:46 pm

ikolkyo wrote:

They are getting more and more abundant, especially at SEA. I wonder if the delivery of the MAX 9's mean that the A320's are also going bye-bye these days.

Polot

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:38 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

They are getting more and more abundant, especially at SEA. I wonder if the delivery of the MAX 9's mean that the A320's are also going bye-bye these days.

Well yes, AS announced earlier this year that all A320s will be gone by the end of next year. They only have about 30 left in service.

wedgetail737

Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:04 pm

Polot wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
ikolkyo wrote:

Well yes, AS announced earlier this year that all A320s will be gone by the end of next year. They only have about 30 left in service.

I was wondering if AS are retiring the A320's these days as the MAX 9's come online...I'm not including those Airbus airplanes that AS did not activate "post" pandemic.

gmcc

Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Polot wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

I was wondering if AS are retiring the A320's these days as the MAX 9's come online...I'm not including those Airbus airplanes that AS did not activate "post" pandemic.

According to the revived weebly site 5 A320s have been retired this year. Retirements are at the bottom of the page. Latest appears to be N628VA that was retired on 6/15/22.

https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/a320.html

chrisair

Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:05 am

cschleic wrote:
Boarding and deplaning from a Q400 is faster with both doors so I don't think overall time is any longer than on an E175. While I prefer the E175 in terms of flying, I like the cart's flexibility and prefer that for short flights. Plus the Q400s are faster in and out of the airport.

Eh, it seems like they’ve stopped the rear boarding now. Or at least the airports I‘ve been stuck on a Q400. It used to be only the Canadian airports that wouldn’t allow it but I can’t remember seeing rear boarding at SEA in over a year. PDX stopped it for the entire time they were using the high C gates and I haven’t seen it with my handful of flights from the B gates. I don’t know if it’s a staffing thing or what, but even through Bellingham and Eugene earlier this year we used the front door only.

The only redeeming quality about the Q400 for me is the sleep I get on that thing. I swear there’s some sort of sleeping gas that comes out of the vents when the engines are turning. Once they spool up, I’m asleep until landing.

gunsontheroof

Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:29 am

chrisair wrote:
cschleic wrote:
Boarding and deplaning from a Q400 is faster with both doors so I don't think overall time is any longer than on an E175. While I prefer the E175 in terms of flying, I like the cart's flexibility and prefer that for short flights. Plus the Q400s are faster in and out of the airport.[/quote

The only redeeming quality about the Q400 for me is the sleep I get on that thing. I swear there’s some sort of sleeping gas that comes out of the vents when the engines are turning. Once they spool up, I’m asleep until landing.

While I like the Q400, that’s no joke! I can almost never sleep on airplanes (I think I got all of twenty minutes on a 14 hour LAX-CDG run years ago), but I missed the free beer on my last Q400 flight because I couldn’t keep my eyes open after we hit cruise!

midway7

Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:03 pm

Eh, it seems like they’ve stopped the rear boarding now. Or at least the airports I‘ve been stuck on a Q400. It used to be only the Canadian airports that wouldn’t allow it but I can’t remember seeing rear boarding at SEA in over a year. PDX stopped it for the entire time they were using the high C gates and I haven’t seen it with my handful of flights from the B gates. I don’t know if it’s a staffing thing or what, but even through Bellingham and Eugene earlier this year we used the front door only.

We actually did dual (front and back) boarding at PDX while at the high C gates. A lot of times it depended if the GSA's would set it up, or if the gate and airport operations at the time would allow it. However, if it was available, as a PSA I would announce and board that way.

The Q's were a great plane to work. They will be missed by some.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos