Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WkndWanderer

Re: Alaska Flt Cancelations

Mon May 16, 2022 6:50 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
SUNCTRY738 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
It’s false to state or imply this is intended to make the pilots look bad. There were and are a number of reasons for the operational struggles of late, but the pilots are NOT to blame. At all. And the operation is being aggressively corrected.

EA CO AS: Can you offer any insights into why management has fought this long battle with the pilots over a new contract? I am not aware of another airline that has taken this long to settle a new contract with its pilots.

You have to remember that contracts take time to negotiate, and both sides agreed to temporarily suspend those negotiations while COVID was getting started and have only recently resumed in earnest.

A deal will get done, but it’ll take time.

This is not just a matter of "delayed due to COVID," there has been enough stalled out bargaining to have brought in a mediator in December and that has gone so poorly the pilots are currently in a strike authorization vote, that doesn't happen simply because you haven't been able to schedule enough bargaining sessions in three years.

The pilots have largely felt jilted on scope since not getting it in the JCBA arbitration after the VX acquisition, and AS at least on the record appears unwilling to agree to scope caps on regional flying other than to say that E190 sized aircraft or larger will be flown by mainline.

I feel bad for Ben a bit because I feel like a lot of the crows coming home to roost right now stem back to Brad and Brandon and their accounting backgrounds where they overly regarded the airline like Wall Street analysts who managed a credit card relationship working for a company that also just happened to fly airplanes. Ben at least had a background in maintenance at AC and has some operational sense unlike prior leaders, so I do feel for him a bit. The Senior VP of HR had no actual HR experience or education prior to the job and is a longtime company woman. Talent acquisition was a cluster for years that got even more set back during the pandemic. At the end of the day, the current pilot labor market and Alaska's growth plans are not going to allow them to stay competitive if they don't give up something better on scope.

32andBelow

Re: Alaska Flt Cancelations

Mon May 16, 2022 7:02 pm

They need to be careful promising staffing improvements. Yes they know their training rate. But their attrition rate is always subject to change. If the pay increase of United starts getting leaked then attritions could again outpace training. It’s very hard to recover from being understaffed in this business

roadrunner165

Re: Alaska Airlines Fleet Network and News Discussion - 2022

Tue May 17, 2022 10:33 pm

Was at Air Cargo in Nome picking up 400 pounds of groceries this morning and the workers mentioned Horizon E175 was no longer coming to Nome this summer.

The -700s are showing their age, but seem to be up to the short term task. Makes me wonder if not sending Horizon is a short term stopgap for flying in the lower 48, or as a gesture of goodwill during pilot negotiations.

Chugach

Wed May 18, 2022 2:30 am

roadrunner165 wrote:
Was at Air Cargo in Nome picking up 400 pounds of groceries this morning and the workers mentioned Horizon E175 was no longer coming to Nome this summer.

The -700s are showing their age, but seem to be up to the short term task. Makes me wonder if not sending Horizon is a short term stopgap for flying in the lower 48, or as a gesture of goodwill during pilot negotiations.

E175 is still scheduled for FAI, SCC, DLG and AKN this summer so it’ll see plenty of AK time.

32andBelow

Wed May 18, 2022 3:18 am

Chugach wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

E175 is still scheduled for FAI, SCC, DLG and AKN this summer so it’ll see plenty of AK time.

When are they restarting AKN/DLG? It’s been a 737 the last couple weeks

wedgetail737

Wed May 18, 2022 4:59 am

32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:
roadrunner165 wrote:

When I was up in ANC last month, the DLG flight was a E-175.

32andBelow

Wed May 18, 2022 5:07 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Chugach wrote:

When I was up in ANC last month, the DLG flight was a E-175.

You’re right DLG is still E75. AKN has been 737 or 738.

roadrunner165

Wed May 18, 2022 5:38 am

I guess I also recall at air cargo in Anchorage this weekend the agent saying one of their -700 freighters had been down for maintenance an extended amount of time. It wasn't clear if this was scheduled or unscheduled work. She mentioned that in all her years with air cargo she'd seen the warehouse have 400k lbs of freight waiting to move, but never 600k lbs like they had seen recently. So maybe Alaska is keeping the -700s on rotation to make up for a lack of freighter availability at the moment. Who knows...

I just checked the schedule, and with the exception of Satuday evening, Nome has been upguaged to -800s all summer. So this could be more freight related after all. :stirthepot: :optimist: :confused:

jgcotter

Thu May 19, 2022 2:39 am

E175 N412SY delivered to OO on 5/16 to operate for AAG. This brings the E175 count operated for AAG to 69; 39 at OO and 30 at QX.

bpat777

Thu May 19, 2022 3:39 am

Does AS frequently sub 739ERs and Max9s for one another? I'm scheduled to fly PDX-JFK next week and when I booked over a month ago, the equipment showed a Max9. When I check the flight history it's usually a Max9 but not always it. Does the Max9 operate specific days of the week maybe?

jbs2886

Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 am

bpat777 wrote:
Does AS frequently sub 739ERs and Max9s for one another? I'm scheduled to fly PDX-JFK next week and when I booked over a month ago, the equipment showed a Max9. When I check the flight history it's usually a Max9 but not always it. Does the Max9 operate specific days of the week maybe?

I think what they’re doing is listing a MAX 9 for any route where a MAX may fly, but regularly put -900ERs in the flights too.

jashah

Thu May 19, 2022 6:20 am

Does AS fly their MAXs to Hawaii? I’ve been looking at flights to the islands and I never seem to see a MAX listed. If they don’t, why would this be? I presume they can easily get ETOPS certification for their MAX fleet.

Thx

32andBelow

Thu May 19, 2022 6:38 am

jashah wrote:
Does AS fly their MAXs to Hawaii? I’ve been looking at flights to the islands and I never seem to see a MAX listed. If they don’t, why would this be? I presume they can easily get ETOPS certification for their MAX fleet.

Thx

Yes they do. I’m pretty sure they are all ETOPs so far

gmcc

Thu May 19, 2022 12:30 pm

jashah wrote:

Thx

As 32andBelow said they do send them.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA ... /PHNL/KSEA
They might not send them to every island everyday though.

wedgetail737

Thu May 19, 2022 2:48 pm

I have seen AS MAX's on the Mainland-HI routes fairly often, but I think the majority are still NG's.

jbs2886

Thu May 19, 2022 4:18 pm

jashah wrote:

Thx

Not sure where you are looking. Almost every time I check for a MAX 9 in the air, AS has one to/from Hawaii.

SANFan

Thu May 19, 2022 4:20 pm

On the advanced skeds, as well as some more current editions, I am seeing 738s, 739s and MAX9s flying to Hawaii out of SAN. (Of course LIH & OGG are pretty much limited to the 8s but everything is game to the other 2 airports.)

I also see 739s and MAXs often on mainland routes, in many cases, the type varying by day. The flight skeds generally show a particular type assigned to a particular route by week, but tracking on FlightAware, the type of Boeing actually flown varies a lot. I haven't gotten a real feel for how far out the final assignments are made, or how often last-minute changes between Boeing-types occur.

I'm sure not seeing many 'Buses flying into SAN these days but again, sometimes I've even seen swapping by day-of-the-week between AirBi and Boeings.

As has been commented on up-thread, I imagine sometimes it just comes down to what the flight crew that show up to work is certified to fly....

I sure hope things will be settled down by mid-summer and we can start to see more regular flying and even -- gasp! -- some growth in the network!

bb

wedgetail737

Thu May 19, 2022 5:09 pm

SANFan wrote:
On the advanced skeds, as well as some more current editions, I am seeing 738s, 739s and MAX9s flying to Hawaii out of SAN. (Of course LIH & OGG are pretty much limited to the 8s but everything is game to the other 2 airports.)

I also see 739s and MAXs often on mainland routes, in many cases, the type varying by day. The flight skeds generally show a particular type assigned to a particular route by week, but tracking on FlightAware, the type of Boeing actually flown varies a lot. I haven't gotten a real feel for how far out the final assignments are made, or how often last-minute changes between Boeing-types occur.

I'm sure not seeing many 'Buses flying into SAN these days but again, sometimes I've even seen swapping by day-of-the-week between AirBi and Boeings.

As has been commented on up-thread, I imagine sometimes it just comes down to what the flight crew that show up to work is certified to fly....

I sure hope things will be settled down by mid-summer and we can start to see more regular flying and even -- gasp! -- some growth in the network!

bb

I really don't see AS stabilizing until they have a pilots' contract ratified...at the very least. I've flown a few Airbus aircraft in and out of SAN several times.

32andBelow

Thu May 19, 2022 5:26 pm

SANFan wrote:

bb

In the past AS had always routed their tails only a couple days in advance. It’s an advantage of having such a compact network. It also gives them a chance to swap 8s and 9s when you have light loads and then you can add seats to sold out routes. Not sure if they are still employing these tactics

SANFan

Thu May 19, 2022 5:48 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I've flown a few Airbus aircraft in and out of SAN several times.

No question that there have been, and will continue to be, AirBi flying into and out of SAN. But, for example, the current schedule, effective today in fact, has not a single 'Bus flying from SAN. That doesn't mean there won't be substitutions.

SAN remains, AFAIK, primarily a SkyWest EMJ and Boeing station. We do see a few QX EMJs in and out of here as well but none is based here.

bb

wedgetail737

Thu May 19, 2022 9:18 pm

SANFan wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
I've flown a few Airbus aircraft in and out of SAN several times.

No question that there have been, and will continue to be, AirBi flying into and out of SAN. But, for example, the current schedule, effective today in fact, has not a single 'Bus flying from SAN. That doesn't mean there won't be substitutions.

SAN remains, AFAIK, primarily a SkyWest EMJ and Boeing station. We do see a few QX EMJs in and out of here as well but none is based here.

bb

One EMJ flight that's guaranteed to the QX is from PAE.

SuperDash

Thu May 19, 2022 11:18 pm

MAX 9 #22 has delivered. N976AK has flown to OAK for post delivery work. #23 is planned to deliver tomorrow.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N97 ... /KPAE/KOAK

jashah

Fri May 20, 2022 7:07 am

Thx for the replies. I’ve been looking at LIH and OGG which I suppose are limited to the 738 and eventually the 7M8 due to runway length.

SANFan

Fri May 20, 2022 4:39 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
SANFan wrote:
bb

One EMJ flight that's guaranteed to the QX is from PAE.

On the current schedule (that began yesterday) we have a QX EMJ arriving ~8:30pm from PAE, spending the night in SAN before returning to PAE early the next morning. A 2nd one does an afternoon turn in SAN and returns to Everett. A 3rd QX EMJ comes down from SFO in the morning, makes the quick mid-day run up-and-back to SBA, then returns to SFO in the afternoon. That totals a little over 3 daily QX departures at SAN; OTOH, we currently have ~28 daily OO EMJ departures here!

bb

wedgetail737

Fri May 20, 2022 10:59 pm

jashah wrote:
Thx for the replies. I’ve been looking at LIH and OGG which I suppose are limited to the 738 and eventually the 7M8 due to runway length.

I think some of those MAX 8's will be relegated to flying DCA, SNA and maybe some of the AK communities.

SuperDash

Fri May 20, 2022 11:40 pm

MAX 9 #23 has delivered. N937AK flew to OKC for Wifi install (assuming). N974AK is on its way back to SEA after its wifi install.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N93 ... /KBFI/KOKC

jashah

Sat May 21, 2022 8:15 pm

Any update on the planned refurbishment of the 738s announced a couple months ago? What are they going to change and what is the timeline?

I just flew on a 7M9 yesterday in F and it was very nice for a narrow body product.

EA CO AS

Sat May 21, 2022 10:06 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I really don't see AS stabilizing until they have a pilots' contract ratified...at the very least. I've flown a few Airbus aircraft in and out of SAN several times.

Instead of the aggressively grown schedule that had been planned for this summer, it was pulled down to accommodate actual pilot graduation, not hiring, plus a buffer for 2X normal monthly attrition, plus absenteeism. The summer schedule should allow for a very smooth operation, and in fact, we've already seen several 99%+ completion days in the last week. It's getting much, much better already.

Yes, the pilot contract is an issue and will continue to be one until a TA is in place, but it won't affect the operation.

EA CO AS

Sat May 21, 2022 10:07 pm

jashah wrote:
Any update on the planned refurbishment of the 738s announced a couple months ago? What are they going to change and what is the timeline?

Just had an update yesterday and the plan is to start getting the 738's through starting in August and/or as heavy checks occur, whichever comes first. But the money is already allocated for this, so it's a go.

jashah

Sat May 21, 2022 10:24 pm

Thanks for the reply. Can you expand on what the refurbishment includes? Better WiFi, new seats, Boeing Sky Interior, etc.?

wedgetail737

Sat May 21, 2022 11:15 pm

Is AS picking up any white-tail MAX 8's or all of them going to be fresh off the production line?

Rifitto

Sat May 21, 2022 11:37 pm

jashah wrote:

United flies 7M9 daily from SFO/LAX to OGG ,the runway isn't a problem ,people tends to underestimate the capabilities of the max9

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 2:45 am

jashah wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Can you expand on what the refurbishment includes? Better WiFi, new seats, Boeing Sky Interior, etc.?

Full cabin refresh to match the 900ER/MAX fleet. The 738s will lose one of the aft lavs to help pay for this, unfortunately, but it'll be much nicer, right down to the device holders in every seat.
Last edited by EA CO AS on Sun May 22, 2022 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 2:47 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
Is AS picking up any white-tail MAX 8's or all of them going to be fresh off the production line?

Not that I've heard, but then again if the price is right they'd look at white tails. The goal is to get the A320s gone ASAP, and a few companies have already inquired about the ten A321Ns. Those are definitely the crew and guest favorite in the fleet, but the MAX9 comes a very close second - everyone loves them.

wedgetail737

Sun May 22, 2022 3:27 am

EA CO AS wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Not that I've heard, but then again if the price is right they'd look at white tails. The goal is to get the A320s gone ASAP, and a few companies have already inquired about the ten A321Ns. Those are definitely the crew and guest favorite in the fleet, but the MAX9 comes a very close second - everyone loves them.

I know the AS A321-Neo's are the oddballs in the fleet, but they are also the airplanes with highest passenger capacity and they can be used at DCA regularly. But I also understand that airlines won't hold airplanes simply for one destination.

sfojvjets

Sun May 22, 2022 3:56 am

Just putting this out there - does AS have any plans for PTVs/IFE? I am aware that they offer pretty cheap wifi, and I think they offer streaming to device, but with both UA and DL going big on TVs at each seat, AA and AS seem to be the holdouts. Even B6 as an LCC has TVs at each seat and with AS soon to offer a streamlined, single-type mainline fleet and one of the lowest cost structures of any of the hybrid/full service carriers, PTVs would most definitely be a plus and should hopefully be doable. It would also help them to better compete against DL on the home front. Beyond the ops problems AS has faced, there has also been a paxex gap between AS and DL... and now between AS and UA as well.

Cardude2

Sun May 22, 2022 4:17 am

EA CO AS wrote:
jashah wrote:

Full cabin refresh to match the 900ER/MAX fleet. The 738s will lose one of the aft lavs to help pay for this, unfortunately, but it'll be much nicer, right down to the device holders in every seat.

not the 900ER, they still have no device holders or new business class.

USAirKid

Sun May 22, 2022 4:34 am

sfojvjets wrote:
Just putting this out there - does AS have any plans for PTVs/IFE? I am aware that they offer pretty cheap wifi, and I think they offer streaming to device, but with both UA and DL going big on TVs at each seat, AA and AS seem to be the holdouts. Even B6 as an LCC has TVs at each seat and with AS soon to offer a streamlined, single-type mainline fleet and one of the lowest cost structures of any of the hybrid/full service carriers, PTVs would most definitely be a plus and should hopefully be doable. It would also help them to better compete against DL on the home front. Beyond the ops problems AS has faced, there has also been a paxex gap between AS and DL... and now between AS and UA as well.

Given that the 737-800s are getting retrofitted with device holders in every seat, I'd guess the answer is no.

I know around here I it was said that adding IFE costs $1 million per plane, and AS doesn't think its worth it. They do have streaming to device and power in each seat, that is what their IFE strategy is.

I'd be curious if part of what is feeding into this is perhaps AS's passenger skews a bit more tech focus, and would rather just bring their own device. I know I'd rather download a few shows before leave the airport and watch them on the plane. (One of my weird habits has been to watch an episode of Air Crash Investigation onboard. It seems reasonably reassuring.)

The one thing I think they should do is bring back rental tablets to stream video from the onboard server, that seems like the excellent middle ground between PTVs and just streaming to a personal device.

I also would be curious to know what the percentage of occupied seat miles flown with a non-functional PTVs. I know one of the things that I've heard discussed around PTVs is they often can be a service failure waiting to happen, so if that PTV doesn't work, its a case of overpromising and underdelivering. (And I'd argue occupied seat miles flown with non-functional PTVs is the right metric. If its an hour flight without PTVs its not as bad as a six hour flight without PTVs.)

(And FWIW, its notable to toss in there that WN on the other hand has streaming entertainment, but hasn't yet caught up to having in seat power, although they're starting to add it.)

32andBelow

Sun May 22, 2022 4:41 am

USAirKid wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

Given that the 737-800s are getting retrofitted with device holders in every seat, I'd guess the answer is no.

I know around here I it was said that adding IFE costs $1 million per plane, and AS doesn't think its worth it. They do have streaming to device and power in each seat, that is what their IFE strategy is.

I'd be curious if part of what is feeding into this is perhaps AS's passenger skews a bit more tech focus, and would rather just bring their own device. I know I'd rather download a few shows before leave the airport and watch them on the plane. (One of my weird habits has been to watch an episode of Air Crash Investigation onboard. It seems reasonably reassuring.)

The one thing I think they should do is bring back rental tablets to stream video from the onboard server, that seems like the excellent middle ground between PTVs and just streaming to a personal device.

I also would be curious to know what the percentage of occupied seat miles flown with a non-functional PTVs. I know one of the things that I've heard discussed around PTVs is they often can be a service failure waiting to happen, so if that PTV doesn't work, its a case of overpromising and underdelivering. (And I'd argue occupied seat miles flown with non-functional PTVs is the right metric. If its an hour flight without PTVs its not as bad as a six hour flight without PTVs.)

(And FWIW, its notable to toss in there that WN on the other hand has streaming entertainment, but hasn't yet caught up to having in seat power, although they're starting to add it.)

They need to get power on the e175s for commonality tho. I totally got caught out transferring to an e175 assuming there would be plugs

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 4:50 am

Cardude2 wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
jashah wrote:

not the 900ER, they still have no device holders or new business class.

Whatever, you get what I was getting at - same basic cabin, and yes the 800s are getting device holders.

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 4:51 am

sfojvjets wrote:
Just putting this out there - does AS have any plans for PTVs/IFE?

No.

Period.

Direct from a friend who is the guy directly responsible for in-cabin offerings.

gmcc

Sun May 22, 2022 4:56 am

sfojvjets wrote:

I get where you are coming from but I don't see AS going the Ptv route for several reasons.
1. They just standardized on a new cabin without the PTVs.
2. I think they are trying to have a consistent entertainment environment across mainline and their regional fleet. Wish they had plugs in economy in the rjs.
3. AS is committed to having one of the most fuel efficient fleets on the country. PTV add weight. Not as much as they use to but still probably a pound or 2 times approximately 180 seats.

While not really a reason I also think AS believes people will feel more comfortable using their own phone or tablet base on familiarity.

Wneast

Sun May 22, 2022 4:56 am

EA CO AS wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

No.

Period.

Direct from a friend who is the guy directly responsible for in-cabin offerings.

So our we getting a new first class product ?

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 4:57 am

USAirKid wrote:

Bingo, and yes that cost is accurate. Add in the fact that in-seat entertainment is a service failure waiting to happen and it's not hard to see why the answer on this has always been, "No, thanks."

In a divisional meeting yesterday I saw a slide deck that detailed PaxEx stuff and in a nutshell, the goal is 'spend enough to be competitive in most areas, industry-leading in others, but not industry-leading everywhere.' And part of that is industry leading in streaming onboard entertainment, but "good enough" in overall IFE, and no PTVs is part of that. It's just too much to sink into it, with not enough ROI for it.

Thanks to the new satellite agreement, that's where the flat $8 pricing for streaming-quality satellite WiFi comes in.

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 4:58 am

Wneast wrote:
So our we getting a new first class product ?

Enhanced FC meal offerings as meals come back to full service, but no lie-flats, no sub-fleets, etc.

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 am

gmcc wrote:
While not really a reason I also think AS believes people will feel more comfortable using their own phone or tablet base on familiarity.

That actually is a reason often cited; more to the point, it's the customer's responsibility to know how to operate their own device, and they're the ones responsible for ensuring it's in good working order, not the airline or the crew.

EA CO AS

Sun May 22, 2022 5:01 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
jashah wrote:

I think some of those MAX 8's will be relegated to flying DCA, SNA and maybe some of the AK communities.

The MAX9 is more capable than you realize; DCA transcons won't be a problem for it with a full load.

USAirKid

Sun May 22, 2022 5:21 am

32andBelow wrote:
They need to get power on the e175s for commonality tho. I totally got caught out transferring to an e175 assuming there would be plugs

Ah. I’ven’t been on an AS branded E175 in a while.. I’m curious what is the reason for the lack of power? Is it a lack of electrical capacity onboard or a weight thing?

I mean even if they compromised and just put USB charging on the E175 that’d be an improvement, especially if they could follow WN and have 60W USB-C which will power most newer laptops.

wedgetail737

Sun May 22, 2022 6:01 am

EA CO AS wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jashah wrote:

The MAX9 is more capable than you realize; DCA transcons won't be a problem for it with a full load.

Are the MAX 9's allowed to fly in and out of SNA? I know that the -900's and -900ER's aren't allowed because they are not tall enough to rotate enough on take-off to meet the noise abatement requirements. But I didn't know if that holds true for DCA.

Thanks for answering the plethora of questions...it's greatly appreciated.

wedgetail737

Sun May 22, 2022 6:05 am

EA CO AS wrote:
sfojvjets wrote:

No.

Period.

Are you ever going to bring back other juices, specifically apple juice and cranberry juice on the flights? Some of 1st class food I've had on AS have been very good, especially the Korean-style meals. For once, the Korean-style meals don't taste like Teriyaki.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos