Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jshank83

Re: Kansas City Aviation Thread - 2022

Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:38 am

KCaviator wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
KCaviator wrote:
Today's the day for the inaugural B6 flight. What gate are they using?

Thanks! I've been in and out of that area a lot lately but haven't noticed any dedicated ticket counter. Are they sharing with AA?

Yes they have their own.

evank516

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:57 am

DL is adding back JFK once daily on the CR9 starting June 6. Obviously a response to B6. Was hoping they'd just upgauge LGA instead. Delta may be more on time, but jetBlue's product is worlds ahead of what you'll get on an RJ.

foxecho

Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:01 am

evank516 wrote:
DL is adding back JFK once daily on the CR9. Obviously a response to B6. Was hoping they'd just upgauge LGA instead. Delta may be more on time, but jetBlue's product is worlds ahead of what you'll get on an RJ.

I was waiting for DL to do that...

Andrew
JFK/MEM/MCI/SYR/ABQ/ retired

trexel94

Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:25 am

evank516 wrote:
DL is adding back JFK once daily on the CR9 starting June 6. Obviously a response to B6. Was hoping they'd just upgauge LGA instead. Delta may be more on time, but jetBlue's product is worlds ahead of what you'll get on an RJ.

Lol! That was predictable. Hopefully they’ll have better luck than their first try back in 2006.

evank516

Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:35 am

trexel94 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Lol! That was predictable. Hopefully they’ll have better luck than their first try back in 2006.

Doubtful. They're using a CR9 against an A220 on an airline known for its inflight product. The only perk for DL is the premium cabin, which nowadays isn't anything more than Even More Space on B6.

trexel94

Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:41 am

evank516 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Doubtful. They're using a CR9 against an A220 on an airline known for its inflight product. The only perk for DL is the premium cabin, which nowadays isn't anything more than Even More Space on B6.

They’ll probably upgage it. I’ll bet they’re evaluating how B6 performs and want to play the relaunch safe. They still have the advantage of name recognition and a large FF base in KC.

Lootess

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:18 am

trexel94 wrote:
evank516 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

They’ll probably upgage it. I’ll bet they’re evaluating how B6 performs and want to play the relaunch safe. They still have the advantage of name recognition and a large FF base in KC.

Yep, the last time I ever took MCI-JFK was Mesaba CR9. Certainly this flight should be good for Europe connections instead of just relying on ATL or DTW.

evank516

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:22 am

Lootess wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Yep, the last time I ever took MCI-JFK was Mesaba CR9. Certainly this flight should be good for Europe connections instead of just relying on ATL or DTW.

I don't think they will have any other option but to upgauge if it lasts. DL's mainline product is the most closely aligned with B6. Factor in DL's better operational performance they would definitely come out ahead. Sure, B6 has the NEA with AA which is now the second largest carrier at MCI, but you can't make your connection if the flight is 4 hours late (which B6 2222 operating MCI-JFK was today).

blhp68

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:08 pm

evank516 wrote:

Interesting. How'd you find out so fast??!!

DiamondFlyer

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:38 pm

evank516 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
evank516 wrote:

Lets see, I'd rather be on the CR9 with a carrier that's going to get me where I'm going on time, versus a "good product" that is going to be hours behind schedule at best.

evank516

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:19 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
evank516 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

Lets see, I'd rather be on the CR9 with a carrier that's going to get me where I'm going on time, versus a "good product" that is going to be hours behind schedule at best.

Except when the stuff hits the fan, DL cancels the RJ flights since they don't factor into their cancellation statistics. So now you have no flight. I'd rather be delayed than cancelled and now have to rebook a flight for who knows when. So it's more than the onboard product. It's whether or not the flight operates.

KCaviator

Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:47 pm

evank516 wrote:

If they're truly competing with B6, surprised it's on a CRJ-900 versus a 175.

OzarkD9S

Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:40 pm

And STL still can't get a JFK flight.

umichman

Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:07 am

DL restored hot meals in FC on flights over 900 miles last month. Not sure if RJ-900 have ovens, but flight will at least get meal boxes if not (DL stopped serving snack boxes as meals in FC last year).

evank516

Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:19 am

umichman wrote:
DL restored hot meals in FC on flights over 900 miles last month. Not sure if RJ-900 have ovens, but flight will at least get meal boxes if not (DL stopped serving snack boxes as meals in FC last year).

That's something. Definitely something.

KCaviator wrote:
evank516 wrote:

If they're truly competing with B6, surprised it's on a CRJ-900 versus a 175.

I'm going to guess fleet availability is the reason. Not sure how big Republic's base is at JFK compared to LGA, but my guess is they have more CR9s available than E175s.

DiamondFlyer

Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:54 am

umichman wrote:

Yes the Endeavor 900's have hot meals on them, if that's what your asking.

trexel94

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:33 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
umichman wrote:

Weird related question but does MCI even have a kitchen? If not, what did FI serve up front and will the new terminal have kitchen facilities? I would think that would be important if KC wants to bring in a long haul flight.

trexel94

Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:39 pm

In addition, the first of the 39 glass jetways have arrived on-site

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... eed_mobile

And air service director Justin Meyer is bullish on MCI’s prospects for international flights once the new terminal opens. Page 34

https://airlinergs.com/wp-content/uploa ... -Final.pdf

Jshank83

Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:09 pm

trexel94 wrote:

And air service director Justin Meyer is bullish on MCI’s prospects for international flights once the new terminal opens. Page 34

A321XLR is going to be a huge help to mid sized/Midwest airports getting flights to Europe

trexel94

Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:22 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

A321XLR is going to be a huge help to mid sized/Midwest airports getting flights to Europe

Indeed although if the 797 were realized that would have been the real golden ticket. However according to my talk with Justin, BA is our best bet.

strangeplanes

Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:49 am

trexel94 wrote:
DiamondFlyer wrote:
umichman wrote:

Weird related question but does MCI even have a kitchen? If not, what did FI serve up front and will the new terminal have kitchen facilities? I would think that would be important if KC wants to bring in a long haul flight.

The airlines have catering buildings along Mexico City Avenue. Delta/DGS catering is directly across the street from the new terminal.

IcelandAir meals were cooked at an actual restaurant and then packed.

strangeplanes

Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:54 am

trexel94 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

Indeed although if the 797 were realized that would have been the real golden ticket. However according to my talk with Justin, BA is our best bet.

Is there really any chance when BA already, accidentally announced plans for IND and IND is willing to spend many millions?

strangeplanes

Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:53 am

ikolkyo

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:02 am

Great photos, really cool to see this process!

freakyrat

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:04 am

Really cool that we can finally have glass sided jetways in the US. I think Amarillo Texas was the first US Airport with them.

trexel94

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:11 am

strangeplanes wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

Is there really any chance when BA already, accidentally announced plans for IND and IND is willing to spend many millions?

I would say so, it hasn’t stopped BA from adding other secondary cities. While our incentives war chest isn’t nearly as robust ($1.5 million) we still have a much higher PDEW and revenue potential than IND along with a large catchment area. As far as viable new cities for BA goes it’s really down to MCI and CLE. Why the pessimism?

trexel94

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:30 am

trexel94 wrote:
strangeplanes wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

Why would it be an either/or? Is IND the last US city they’re ever going to add? it hasn’t stopped BA from adding other secondary cities. While our incentives war chest isn’t nearly as robust ($1.5 million) we still have a much higher PDEW and revenue potential than IND along with a large catchment area. As far as viable new cities for BA goes it’s really down to MCI and CLE. Why the pessimism?

strangeplanes

Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:43 pm

trexel94 wrote:
strangeplanes wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

I would say so, it hasn’t stopped BA from adding other secondary cities. While our incentives war chest isn’t nearly as robust ($1.5 million) we still have a much higher PDEW and revenue potential than IND along with a large catchment area. As far as viable new cities for BA goes it’s really down to MCI and CLE. Why the pessimism?

Would absolutely love BA but that release really makes it sound like IND will be their 2023 add. I guess they could add both. Do they have the planes/slots?

AA or DAL-aligned airline would be the best for KC considering they are about even here. Would be nice to use the Skyclub before heading to Europe though.

I don't think STL or CIN are in the place to pick up a 2nd flight just yet which leaves IND, CLE, MCI in the running for TATL. IND gets BA leaving MCI and CLE open for BA, Aer Lingus, IcelandAir, etc

Jshank83

Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:13 pm

strangeplanes wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
strangeplanes wrote:

Would absolutely love BA but that release really makes it sound like IND will be their 2023 add. I guess they could add both. Do they have the planes/slots?

AA or DAL-aligned airline would be the best for KC considering they are about even here. Would be nice to use the Skyclub before heading to Europe though.

I don't think STL or CIN are in the place to pick up a 2nd flight just yet which leaves IND, CLE, MCI in the running for TATL. IND gets BA leaving MCI and CLE open for BA, Aer Lingus, IcelandAir, etc

I still think DL (or partner) makes the most sense. Big DL club, one of the better route trees from DL for a non hub. Could really solidify them as the top legacy there. But KC has to get its act together and get incentive money to make it happen.

strangeplanes

Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:30 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
strangeplanes wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

I still think DL (or partner) makes the most sense. Big DL club, one of the better route trees from DL for a non hub. Could really solidify them as the top legacy there. But KC has to get its act together and get incentive money to make it happen.

Agreed that a TATL will require a bigger investment.

MrJayhawk

Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:16 pm

trexel94

Wed May 04, 2022 11:35 pm

Some insider info regarding new changes. Another lounge could be in the works in concourse A.

"Change orders approved in Feb and March
- Addition of an International Baggage Recheck area adjacent to the International Arrivals Hall that will allow passengers who have cleared Customs to recheck baggage for a connecting domestic flight (use of Owner Contingency);

- Design of additional lounge or retail shell space on the north end of Concourse A (use of Project Contingency);

- Construction of additional shell space for future retail or amenity uses adjacent to the gate areas at the north end of Concourse A;"

GSPSPOT

Thu May 05, 2022 1:20 pm

Any recent pics of construction progress?

strangeplanes

Thu May 05, 2022 9:31 pm

Headhouse Ceiling

Glass Boarding Bridges

Governor's Visit

trexel94

Fri May 06, 2022 7:13 pm

Did a few dummy bookings on B6 into late summer to get a snap shot of loads. Surprisingly, JFK is performing far better than BOS. Both routes while still new and relatively weak are slowly improving but BOS is definitely lagging behind.

Speaking of NYC, UA will launch all mainline to EWR this starting summer thru fall/winter. 3x daily on the 737-700.

How long does it typically take a new airline to catch on? Does anyone remember how AS and NK performed when they first started?

Also here’s a video giving a more bird’s eye of the new airport.
https://youtu.be/zoyDwr0dxt8

Jshank83

Sat May 07, 2022 3:20 am

The state put 5 mil in the budget for MCI to get an international flight. Interesting they decided to just give it to MCI and not a general fund for any Missouri airport.

With that much allocated to them I would guess they will secure something.

pmanni1

Mon May 09, 2022 1:46 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Did a few dummy bookings on B6 into late summer to get a snap shot of loads. Surprisingly, JFK is performing far better than BOS. Both routes while still new and relatively weak are slowly improving but BOS is definitely lagging behind.

Speaking of NYC, UA will launch all mainline to EWR this starting summer thru fall/winter. 3x daily on the 737-700.

How long does it typically take a new airline to catch on? Does anyone remember how AS and NK performed when they first started?

When same day flights on B6 MCI-BOS are $69 then you know that's not a good sign.

RJNUT

Mon May 09, 2022 1:51 pm

quite satisfied with new terminal complex. I was in high school, and our band participated in the inauguration of the circular terminals in 1972! ready for the change!

trexel94

Mon May 09, 2022 3:32 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
The state put 5 mil in the budget for MCI to get an international flight. Interesting they decided to just give it to MCI and not a general fund for any Missouri airport.

That's a sizable increase and even more interesting its dedicated solely for international flights. MCI has never offered anything near this amount before. Is this in addition to the 1.2 million already on offer? Should be plenty for a full service carrier (or 2). I still stand by either BA or DL to AMS/CDG. Whoever ends up biting, I hope we can do better than FI or EI and we don't splurge it on one carrier.

Comparing similar airports and their programs. Last time, we paid FI around $400k.
- PIT paid $3 million to BA
- BNA $1.5 million to BA (state support)
- AUS $2.1 million to BA
- IND $5.5 for DL to CDG
- STL $5 Million to LH

Its clear BA tends to be cheaper to lure as opposed to DL or LH but they don't have many slots left.

Outside of Europe, how viable would flights to MEX, GDL or somewhere in the Caribbean be?

Jshank83

Mon May 09, 2022 3:53 pm

trexel94 wrote:
Jshank83 wrote:

That's a sizable increase and even more interesting its dedicated solely for international flights. MCI has never offered anything near this amount before. Is this in addition to the 1.2 million already on offer? Should be plenty for a full service carrier (or 2). I still stand by either BA or DL to AMS/CDG. Whoever ends up biting, I hope we can do better than FI or EI and we don't splurge it on one carrier.

Comparing similar airports and their programs. Last time, we paid FI around $400k.
- PIT paid $3 million to BA
- BNA $1.5 million to BA (state support)
- AUS $2.1 million to BA
- IND $5.5 for DL to CDG
- STL $5 Million to LH

Its clear BA tends to be cheaper to lure as opposed to DL or LH but they don't have many slots left.

Outside of Europe, how viable would flights to MEX, GDL or somewhere in the Caribbean be?

I think your BNA number is wrong. Pretty sure it was 1.5 for 2 years so 3 mil+.

I think DL makes the most sense for MCI.

Might to able to put some towards WN adding MBJ/PUJ once they get their issues worked out.

I’m guessing Europe is going to take most if not all the $5 mil though. The other thing you have to factor in is community/business support. They have to step up to provide some ticket guarantees also on top of the incentive money.

727tiger

Mon May 09, 2022 4:31 pm

I think DL makes the most sense for MCI. I'd prefer AMS over CDG, but that's just my own personal preference. Either way, a DL non-stop to Europe from MCI would be great (I would not mind dropping MSP, DTW or ATL as the jumping off point to Europe). That new big Sky Club seems it will be ready-made for that.

MatthewTKS

Tue May 10, 2022 9:48 pm

trexel94

Wed May 11, 2022 2:51 am

MatthewTKS wrote:

There were a few interesting takeaways

- City in advancing talks with one particular airline. Wonder if an announcement will be made this fall. This was roughly the same lead time before FI was announced.
- Europe and South America most desired (who would run an MCI-SA route? Copa, AM?)
- STL could dip into the fund. How bout no?
- Ultimate ambition to serve as a connecting point for the catchment region. Well, at least we’ll have the facility to support such a goal.

MatthewTKS

Fri May 13, 2022 3:23 am

trexel94 wrote:
MatthewTKS wrote:

- City in advancing talks with one particular airline. Wonder if an announcement will be made this fall. This was roughly the same lead time before FI was announced.
- Europe and South America most desired (who would run an MCI-SA route? Copa, AM?)
- Ultimate ambition to serve as a connecting point for the catchment region. Well, at least we’ll have the facility to support such a goal.

The article says, "Lucas said talks are already underway with an airline considering a new route from Kansas City." I don't think that means talks are necessarily progressing towards a satisfying conclusion. I think KCI is always talking to airlines but that doesn't mean the talks go anywhere. I hope you're right and an announcement is made this fall but nothing in that article makes me think anything is imminent. Airlines kick the proverbial tires on an airports all the time.

trexel94

Fri May 13, 2022 1:26 pm

MatthewTKS wrote:
trexel94 wrote:
MatthewTKS wrote:

The article says, "Lucas said talks are already underway with an airline considering a new route from Kansas City." I don't think that means talks are necessarily progressing towards a satisfying conclusion. I think KCI is always talking to airlines but that doesn't mean the talks go anywhere. I hope you're right and an announcement is made this fall but nothing in that article makes me think anything is imminent. Airlines kick the proverbial tires on an airports all the time.

KC traditionally has been extremely cagey when it comes to sharing details on airline negotiations. You never know what to expect with them. They’ve used the same rhetoric right before FI announced MCI. Also considering that the state of Missouri practically never offers funding for flight initiatives also gives me reason to think that something is in advance negotiations especially seeing how successful LH has been in bookings at STL. We finally have a proposal that has financial teeth and we’ll soon have a facility that can support wide body flights. It’s a matter of time now.

Lootess

Fri May 13, 2022 3:44 pm

Yeah Mayor Sly James kept the FI cards close to the chest, I was more surprised at the quick turnaround and getting the international terminal passenger ready at the time.

The only two prime options I can think of would be BA or DL. I'm more inclined to believe DL would snatch up the opportunity with a new Skyclub to secure a legacy lead status on-top of a subsidy. Whether it's CDG or AMS I don't think that matters too much since either one is one-stop access to prime international markets.

Jshank83

Fri May 13, 2022 4:11 pm

Lootess wrote:
Yeah Mayor Sly James kept the FI cards close to the chest, I was more surprised at the quick turnaround and getting the international terminal passenger ready at the time.

The only two prime options I can think of would be BA or DL. I'm more inclined to believe DL would snatch up the opportunity with a new Skyclub to secure a legacy lead status on-top of a subsidy. Whether it's CDG or AMS I don't think that matters too much since either one is one-stop access to prime international markets.

If it is next year I don't think it will be BA since IND seems to basically have that one locked up, assuming they even have slots for an add. So DL makes sense. But that is also assuming they can get something together in time for next year. I don't know how fast airlines are looking to ramp back up new/precovid flights to Europe or if they are having their own staffing issues.

For KCs sake I hope they don't just go with Iceland Air because it is the only one offering at this point and they want something. Wait it out for someone good.

strangeplanes

Mon May 16, 2022 6:32 am

Iceland Air fine if they don't give incentives

evank516

Wed May 18, 2022 1:24 am

pmanni1 wrote:
trexel94 wrote:

When same day flights on B6 MCI-BOS are $69 then you know that's not a good sign.

I’m not surprised at all. BOS-MCI is 100% reliant on O&D while JFK is timed well for connections and O&D. People can get to BOS from MCI via JFK and not get in so late. Plus they can connect to the mid Atlantic and other areas of the northeast, plus they can connect to London via JFK. BOS-MCI is not strategically scheduled for MCI POS even though I’m sure they were aiming for BOS POS when they scheduled it. I’m hoping JFK gets a second flight.

Jshank83

Wed May 18, 2022 1:58 am

^and you also have delta running 3 flights a day when Delta I would guess is a lot stronger POS at MCI.

I’ll be curious how Delta does vs JetBlue at JFK also

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos