50 years ago: MCI was dedicated Monday, October 23, 1972 by U.S. Vice President Spiro Agnew.
Operations began Saturday, November 11, 1972 with 158 daily departures by the major carriers:
- TWA - 50 flights - 2x ABQ, AMA, 2x ATL, 10x ORD, MDW, 2x CVG, DTW, IND, LAS, 4x LAX, SDF, 3x LGA, PHX, 14x STL, 2x SFO, TUS, 3x ICT.
- Braniff - 40 flights - 7x ORD, 10x DAL, 4x DSM, DTW, 3x MSP, MSY, 2x OKC, 5x OMA, 3x TUL, 4x ICT.
- Frontier - 26 flights - BVO, 2x DAL, 3x DEN, 3x JLN, 2x LNK, MHK, 5x OMA, 2x PPF, 3x STL, 4x TOP.
- Continental - 12 flights - 3x ORD, 6x DEN, 2x LAX, TUL.
- Ozark - 10 flights - CID, 2x COU, 2x DSM, 2x OTM, PIA, 2x SGF.
- United - 9 flights - BAL, 3x ORD (no local traffic), DEN, PHL, SFO, SEA, IAD.
- Delta - 8 flights - 2x ATL, LIT, 4x MEM, SGF.
- North Central - 3 flights - 3x SUX.
Source: Airline timetables - 10/29/72 (DL, NC, OZ, TW, UA); 3/9/72 (CO); 7/1/72 (FL); 12/1/72 (BN).
First scheduled departure 1:20am - DL 788 MEM-BHM-ATL-EWR (D9S)
First scheduled arrival 1:34am - FL 10 LAS-DEN-MCI (73S)
Source: Kansas City Times 11/11/72.