Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MIflyer12

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2022

Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:15 pm

gregn21 wrote:
While this looks great for DL on first glance it’s important to note AA’s market share is bolstered by large portions of B6 and AS capacity through the NEA and WCIA.

That's not AA market share - it's AS and B6 market share. We don't need to discuss double-counting, do we?

CaptainLeo

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:11 pm

More from the rumor mill. In addition to LAX-AKL, DAL is looking to add LAX/SLC-ICN. I would assume an official announcement will come sometime next week.

BoeingGuy

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:15 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:
More from the rumor mill. In addition to LAX-AKL, DAL is looking to add LAX/SLC-ICN. I would assume an official announcement will come sometime next week.

SLC-ICN has been rumored for a long time, but still hasn’t happened. There was going to be an announcement next week many times on A.net. I’d like to see it, but will believe it when it happens.

I would think a KE 787 would be the most suitable equipment for the route. An A350 is too much airplane. Can an A330-900 do it westbound without payload restrictions?

jplatts

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:19 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

SLC-ICN has been rumored for a long time, but still hasn’t happened. There was going to be an announcement next week many times on A.net. I’d like to see it, but will believe it when it happens.

If DL adds SLC-ICN nonstop service, there would be some connecting opportunities available on both ends of the SLC-ICN route (including connections to other Asian destinations from SLC-ICN, connections to other U.S. destinations from ICN-SLC, and U.S.-SLC-ICN-Asia double connections) due to the DL-KE partnership.

Is there any real need for DL to serve ICN nonstop from LAX on DL metal with DL's partner KE already having nonstop service to ICN from LAX?

Boeing757100

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:24 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:

Upthread there was a post saying that crew bases in JFK were told to look out for JFK-ICN and JFK-BOM. Maybe those will be reaffirmed or otherwise made more public, but we’ll have to see about that.

jbs2886

Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:25 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

Upthread there was a post saying that crew bases in JFK were told to look out for JFK-ICN and JFK-BOM. Maybe those will be reaffirmed or otherwise made more public, but we’ll have to see about that.

That would be nice, but wouldn't that take 2 frames each (ish)?

phllax

Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:04 pm

BB78710 wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:
BB78710 wrote:
While AA has drawn down Asian flying from LAX (literally just like UA and DL - all of them are down to only Tokyo), it has not discontinued LAXAKL. LAXAKL is not operating this winter season but is planned to operate for W23/24.

What was posted was AA drawdown of international flights at LAX, no one specifically pointed to Asia only. AA had a much larger international operation out of LAX which they have drawn down and I'll let you have yourf AA's return to LAX-AKL, I think most of us know that flight is gone and isn't returning on AA metal for the foreseeable future.

The point I was making was all 3 legacy carriers do appear to be stagnant at LAX for the time being. I know no one single US3 carrier will ever completely dominate LAX but I think AA's international drawdown has created opportunities for either DL or UA. Just look at Delta's JV partner Latam they will launch nonstop service between LAX and GRU taking over a route AA once flew. It is just one route but it is also an example of how AA's departure created an opportunity for Latam a Delta JV partner.

I do think there is an opening at LAX for Delta on LAX-AKL route if those rumors are true and Airbus is able to deliver more widebodies to Delta on-time that Delta could launch AKL in W23/24. And I also think Delta is strong enough here in the US to go at it alone and perhaps even launch LAX-MEL without a partner Down Under but it would take a real commitment from their revenue management team (set realistic expectations) because the road to profitability on either of these routes wouldn't be fast or easy, but it can be done if given time. United did it in Australia for decades without a partner in Australia and actually grew their Australia operations (except for SFO-BNE) before they partnered up with Virgin Australia.

You also have to remember that we have 4 other local airports here in LA which see both significant intra-state and intra-west service, which siphons off from LAX. Honestly, anyone who lives near one of the other options and has non-stop or easy connecting service but chooses to go to LAX right now (or up through the 2028 Olympics) is crazy. LAX will never have a clear dominant single carrier.

CaptainLeo

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:36 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

Yes i've heard those rumors. I've also heard JFK-JNB may be part of that announcement. I guess we'll have to see. My friend told me there is some type of employee event happening in SLC next week and all the corporate leaders will be there. So that's why i'm assuming we may get some sort of announcement next week.

usflyer msp

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:39 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

Yes i've heard those rumors. I've also heard JFK-JNB may be part of that announcement. I guess we'll have to see. My friend told me there is some type of employee event happening in SLC next week and all the corporate leaders will be there. So that's why i'm assuming we may get some sort of announcement next week.

Can't be JFKJNB, there are no frequencies available. DL is only able to serve CPT because the RSA granted extra bilateral frequencies so both DL and UA could add service.

jbs2886

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:41 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

JFK-JNB won't happen unless DL moves some of their frequencies there or South Africa decides to grant more frequencies (above the two they just granted for UA/DL CPT flights). https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-uni ... own-award/

Antoli0794

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:41 pm

So maybe multiple new routes announcements from multiple hubs including DTW-KEF?

hl8208

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:22 pm

jplatts wrote:
BoeingGuy wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

If DL adds SLC-ICN nonstop service, there would be some connecting opportunities available on both ends of the SLC-ICN route (including connections to other Asian destinations from SLC-ICN, connections to other U.S. destinations from ICN-SLC, and U.S.-SLC-ICN-Asia double connections) due to the DL-KE partnership.

Is there any real need for DL to serve ICN nonstop from LAX on DL metal with DL's partner KE already having nonstop service to ICN from LAX?

It wouldn't be any different than DL deciding to take on LAX-CDG/LHR: low-hanging fruit with tons of local demand, JV partners, and connections on both ends. I'd guess that a potential SLC-ICN will come at the cost of the additional SEA-ICN frequencies that were recently added.

WidebodyPTV

Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:41 pm

Either DL's about to announce the largest long-haul expansion in company history -- during an era where's it's starved for domestic resources -- or imaginations are running at full speed on a.net...

The JFK-ICN/BOM rumor was mentioned awhile ago by a poster who regularly shares "rumors" and has an accuracy rate that's about on par with simply guessing. And for JFK-ICN, JFK-BOM, LAX-AKL, LAX-ICN, SLC-ICN, etc. supposedly having been either told to crew or announced at a company event... there's absolutely no mention of any of this on crew forums, or hungry click bait sites like TPG, which are generally the first to report rumors with substance.

Antoli0794

Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:19 pm

WidebodyPTV wrote:
Either DL's about to announce the largest long-haul expansion in company history -- during an era where's it's starved for domestic resources -- or imaginations are running at full speed on a.net...

The JFK-ICN/BOM rumor was mentioned awhile ago by a poster who regularly shares "rumors" and has an accuracy rate that's about on par with simply guessing. And for JFK-ICN, JFK-BOM, LAX-AKL, LAX-ICN, SLC-ICN, etc. supposedly having been either told to crew or announced at a company event... there's absolutely no mention of any of this on crew forums, or hungry click bait sites like TPG, which are generally the first to report rumors with substance.

MSP-DUB with a 763 also

flyboy80

Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:51 pm

Delta has already hired thousands of flight attendants after it lost around four-thousand during the pandemic due to early out packages. An additional 6 thousand flight attendants in one year will likely put Delta over 30K total fight attendants. Doesn't seem like they would need anywhere near this unless they plan on increasing mainline flying incrementally over the next couple of years.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:01 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:

Kind of my thoughts exactly…no way they are launching their biggest route expansion ever.

There is realistically enough new widebodies coming online for next summer to maybe allow for 1-2 more route announcements.

BOM and AKL and more than 1 ICN flight seem like a complete moonshot in this era

New widebodies are going to allow essentially enabling full restoration of the TATL network, remove all on the non modded 763 to get off TATL and be reglegated to domestic, SA, and Hawaii.

TW870

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:23 am

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
There is realistically enough new widebodies coming online for next summer to maybe allow for 1-2 more route announcements.

BOM and AKL and more than 1 ICN flight seem like a complete moonshot in this era

New widebodies are going to allow essentially enabling full restoration of the TATL network, remove all on the non modded 763 to get off TATL and be reglegated to domestic, SA, and Hawaii.

I agree totally that BOM and AKL are extremely unlikely, with the Russian air space restrictions making JFK-BOM cost prohibitive and with the daunting UA/NZ competition in AKL.

One thing to watch, though, will be the exact language that gets ratified in whatever deal comes out of the DL-ALPA negotiations. The pilots have a lot of leverage, and rebalancing all of the JVs to better protect DL pilot jobs is top priority for the union. I can see multiple new ICN trips in that context - although I am extremely skeptical about SLC-ICN given the much stronger dynamics in LAX and SEA. But bottom line is those would not be moon shot new routes, but rather swapping some lift from KE to DL metal.

panamair

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:38 am

CaptainLeo wrote:
I guess we'll have to see. My friend told me there is some type of employee event happening in SLC next week and all the corporate leaders will be there. So that's why i'm assuming we may get some sort of announcement next week.

There is a pseudo “Investor Day” event (now called a “Financial Outlook and Strategic Update” event next week (Dec 14) with Ed, Glenn and Dan in NY followed by Q&A:

https://news.delta.com/delta-air-lines- ... ec-14-2022

kavok

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:40 am

TW870 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I agree totally that BOM and AKL are extremely unlikely, with the Russian air space restrictions making JFK-BOM cost prohibitive and with the daunting UA/NZ competition in AKL.

One thing to watch, though, will be the exact language that gets ratified in whatever deal comes out of the DL-ALPA negotiations. The pilots have a lot of leverage, and rebalancing all of the JVs to better protect DL pilot jobs is top priority for the union. I can see multiple new ICN trips in that context - although I am extremely skeptical about SLC-ICN given the much stronger dynamics in LAX and SEA. But bottom line is those would not be moon shot new routes, but rather swapping some lift from KE to DL metal.

I could see that with the KE/DL JV. Note that LAX currently is home to a 359 base, with only two regular international routes being flown (SYD & HND) on 359s. Perhaps a DL 359 takes the place of a KE ICN-LAX flight, and instead KE launches a 787 to SLC?

jplatts

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:43 am

TW870 wrote:
I can see multiple new ICN trips in that context - although I am extremely skeptical about SLC-ICN given the much stronger dynamics in LAX and SEA.

There are places such as BWI, CLT, OMA, PHL, and STL that have DL nonstop service to SLC but don't currently have DL nonstop service to LAX or SEA. DL adding SLC-ICN nonstop service would provide easier connectivity to ICN from some U.S. cities that don't have DL nonstop service to SEA or LAX.

jbs2886

Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:44 am

jplatts wrote:
TW870 wrote:
I can see multiple new ICN trips in that context - although I am extremely skeptical about SLC-ICN given the much stronger dynamics in LAX and SEA.

There are places such as BWI, CLT, OMA, PHL, and STL that have DL nonstop service to SLC but don't currently have DL nonstop service to LAX or SEA. DL adding SLC-ICN nonstop service would provide easier connectivity to ICN from some U.S. cities that don't have DL nonstop service to SEA or LAX.

Virtually all of those destinations would be better served from MSP or DTW, which have ICN service.

TYWoolman

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:49 am

tinpusher007 wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:
Every destination isn’t about feeding connections. Where would someone be flying through AKL to connect to anyway???

Pretty much all of Australia can connect through AKL. That is what Air New Zealand does now. They don't fill all those widebodies with just pax from their own country.

True, but if Im Delta and I already serve Australia via SYD and have an interline with Rex for connections there, why would I be looking for connections over AKL??? If we do launch AKL, it will likely be on the basis of taking US originating pax to NZ and bringing them back, as well as NZ'ers looking to come to the US.

I would think New Zealand is a good scenic movie-shooting destination. If Delta wants to be LAX's #1 carrier, it needs to make friends with Hollywood, too.

WidebodyPTV

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:59 am

TYWoolman wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
Pretty much all of Australia can connect through AKL. That is what Air New Zealand does now. They don't fill all those widebodies with just pax from their own country.

True, but if Im Delta and I already serve Australia via SYD and have an interline with Rex for connections there, why would I be looking for connections over AKL??? If we do launch AKL, it will likely be on the basis of taking US originating pax to NZ and bringing them back, as well as NZ'ers looking to come to the US.

I would think New Zealand is a good scenic movie-shooting destination. If Delta wants to be LAX's #1 carrier, it needs to make friends with Hollywood, too.

We're really grasping for straws now..

rjbesikof

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:05 am

kavok wrote:
TW870 wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

I could see that with the KE/DL JV. Note that LAX currently is home to a 359 base, with only two regular international routes being flown (SYD & HND) on 359s. Perhaps a DL 359 takes the place of a KE ICN-LAX flight, and instead KE launches a 787 to SLC?

If this DL LAX/JFK-ICN rumor is true, I would assume DL would be taking over the KE 77W flights. FWIW, the B748 running the daytime KE LAX-ICN will be shifting to JFK and the A388 on KE's daytime JFK-ICN will shift over to LAX effective 2/1/2023. If DL were to help KE with these flights, would Korean have enough aircraft for SLC with fleet manuevering since a B77W would be too much plane for SLC-ICN?
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221208-ke1q23laxjfk

BoeingGuy

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:39 am

WidebodyPTV wrote:
TYWoolman wrote:
tinpusher007 wrote:

We're really grasping for straws now..

250 people a day travel between LAX and AKL for movie shooting. Huge market for DL. :)

BB78710

Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm

TW870 wrote:

I think DL pilots might want a bit more than one or two token flights to ICN from LAX and SEA. Delta pilots saw what happened at United when they renegotiated their JV agreements in 2017 which led to an unprecedented TATL expansion at United from summer of 2018 onward and brought more TATL flights onto United metal. Delta probably isn't looking to increase the size of its widebody fleet to match that of United's (I think United has at least 100 more widebodies than Delta in their fleet) so Delta pilots will never see the amount of international flying that United pilots do, but I do think Delta pilots are pushing hard to get more international flying on Delta metal which would require a few more widebody aircraft. The JV's work well for DL bottom line but it comes at the expense of DL pilots flying DL metal. Again I don't see DL widebody fleet growing to the point where it matches or even gets close to that of United's. DL doesn't even have 200 widebodies in their fleet even with the current A359s and A339NEO they have on the order books. They haven't needed a large widebody fleet as their JV partners do a lot more of the heavy lifting than DL does. I do think DL pilots and ALPA are pushing hard to have more international longhair flying on DL metal.

SESGDL

Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:11 pm

BB78710 wrote:
TW870 wrote:

I think DL pilots might want a bit more than one or two token flights to ICN from LAX and SEA. Delta pilots saw what happened at United when they renegotiated their JV agreements in 2017 which led to an unprecedented TATL expansion at United from summer of 2018 onward and brought more TATL flights onto United metal. Delta probably isn't looking to increase the size of its widebody fleet to match that of United's (I think United has at least 100 more widebodies than Delta in their fleet) so Delta pilots will never see the amount of international flying that United pilots do, but I do think Delta pilots are pushing hard to get more international flying on Delta metal which would require a few more widebody aircraft. The JV's work well for DL bottom line but it comes at the expense of DL pilots flying DL metal. Again I don't see DL widebody fleet growing to the point where it matches or even gets close to that of United's. DL doesn't even have 200 widebodies in their fleet even with the current A359s and A339NEO they have on the order books. They haven't needed a large widebody fleet as their JV partners do a lot more of the heavy lifting than DL does. I do think DL pilots and ALPA are pushing hard to have more international longhair flying on DL metal.

Not quite 100 more, UA has 215 widebodies to DL’s 154 (for comparisons AA has 121), but still a substantial difference.

Jeremy

hl8208

Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:53 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
kavok wrote:
TW870 wrote:

If this DL LAX/JFK-ICN rumor is true, I would assume DL would be taking over the KE 77W flights. FWIW, the B748 running the daytime KE LAX-ICN will be shifting to JFK and the A388 on KE's daytime JFK-ICN will shift over to LAX effective 2/1/2023. If DL were to help KE with these flights, would Korean have enough aircraft for SLC with fleet manuevering since a B77W would be too much plane for SLC-ICN?
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221208-ke1q23laxjfk

KE will absolutely not reduce flying to their biggest and arguably most important US city to once daily on their own metal. In the summer of 2019, KE ran an additional 5x/weekly morning flight on the 77W. If DL LAX-ICN happens, it would have to be in addition to the existing KE flights, as is the case for LHR/CDG and AF/VS.

alfa164

Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:19 pm

hl8208 wrote:
KE will absolutely not reduce flying to their biggest and arguably most important US city to once daily on their own metal. In the summer of 2019, KE ran an additional 5x/weekly morning flight on the 77W. If DL LAX-ICN happens, it would have to be in addition to the existing KE flights, as is the case for LHR/CDG and AF/VS.

While KE should not be expected to reduce its current schedule, keep in mind the upcoming merger with OZ will add Asiana's frequencies to the mix. I am thinking DL might pick up some of those flights, keeping KE's schedule intact and expanding Delta pilots' opportunities on trans-Pacific routes once flown by Asiana.

rjbesikof

Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:18 pm

Delta resuming HAV effective 4/10/2023. 2x daily from MIA. Surprised they are not doing this from ATL.
https://news.delta.com/journey-old-hava ... pring-2023

DiamondFlyer

Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:34 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
Delta resuming HAV effective 4/10/2023. 2x daily from MIA. Surprised they are not doing this from ATL.

I'm not. ATL-HAV wasn't mainline, it was operated by CR9. Too long and thin of a flight to dump regional resources on right now.

kavok

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:23 pm

The other big TPAC unknown is flights to China. PreCovid DL flew widebodies on ATL-PVG, DTW-PVG/PEK, LAX-PVG, SEA-PVG/PEK. All of those routes are currently either 1) not being flown, or 2) being flown at significantly reduced frequencies due to regulations.

And while nobody knows when those flights will be allowed to fully resume, once they are allowed again, DL will obviously need to find some birds to fly them.

SurfandSnow

Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:54 pm

rjbesikof wrote:

You are?!? ATL-HAV was probably just as much a failure for DL as AA's CLT-HAV service - which was also cancelled in favor of MIA-HAV service. Lots of O&D between Miami and Cuba, not much between Atlanta and Cuba...

TW870

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:06 pm

kavok wrote:
The other big TPAC unknown is flights to China. PreCovid DL flew widebodies on ATL-PVG, DTW-PVG/PEK, LAX-PVG, SEA-PVG/PEK. All of those routes are currently either 1) not being flown, or 2) being flown at significantly reduced frequencies due to regulations.

And while nobody knows when those flights will be allowed to fully resume, once they are allowed again, DL will obviously need to find some birds to fly them.

Yes - to me the pilot contract question and the China question are the two big variables that could, depending on outcomes, lead to more longhaul over the medium term.

Also, it is important to note how busy Europe still is in December. I was just looking at A330 rotations on the -200, -300, and -900 fleet, and there is almost no domestic flying except for LAX/SEA-HNL. Granted, some -900s are down for the 2Ku install, but overall it is so different than last year when the -300 fleet was doing SAN, SFO, LAS, DEN, PHX every day out of ATL. Frequencies to the European hubs have stayed around later than usual, and seasonal trips like ATL-FCO and JFK-CPH (on the 763) are still operating in December, which I don't ever recall happening before. Bottom line is that the premium leisure demand for Europe, South Africa, and Australia is eating up a lot of the block hours that were lost to the ongoing China closure.

rjbesikof

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:23 pm

kavok wrote:

Even without COVID, DL would not be able to fly ATL-PVG since it would need Russian airspace.

cv5880

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:23 pm

Since 2019 the relationship between the US and China has changed. Would we even need as much capacity between the countries as we once had? Would traffic be business only?

jbs2886

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:28 pm

cv5880 wrote:
Since 2019 the relationship between the US and China has changed. Would we even need as much capacity between the countries as we once had? Would traffic be business only?

Not for a while probably, although DL quickly reinstated a lot of HND capacity. People also assume DL would need *more* planes for China routes, perhaps in part, but I think we will also see cuts on loss-making or marginal routes.

mesasurf

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:37 pm

Also within the potential international expansion rumor mill is that both SLC-CDG/AMS will be seeing upgauges and additional frequencies. The SLC-AMS additions might be coming from their JV partner KL. Also the SLC-LHR route might be getting dropped. It is still bleeding money. I’m sure if DL does drop it BA will come in and add it.

Polot

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:52 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
cv5880 wrote:

Not for a while probably, although DL quickly reinstated a lot of HND capacity. People also assume DL would need *more* planes for China routes, perhaps in part, but I think we will also see cuts on loss-making or marginal routes.

It will depend on how much DL views their Chinese frequencies as at risk of being taken and given to another airline due to inactivity (and also thus how important DL views the rights). That is one of the reasons why HND capacity was added quickly. DL didn’t want another US airline going to the DOT asking for any HND rights DL wasn’t using.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:58 pm

TW870 wrote:
kavok wrote:

Yes - to me the pilot contract question and the China question are the two big variables that could, depending on outcomes, lead to more longhaul over the medium term.

Also, it is important to note how busy Europe still is in December. I was just looking at A330 rotations on the -200, -300, and -900 fleet, and there is almost no domestic flying except for LAX/SEA-HNL. Granted, some -900s are down for the 2Ku install, but overall it is so different than last year when the -300 fleet was doing SAN, SFO, LAS, DEN, PHX every day out of ATL. Frequencies to the European hubs have stayed around later than usual, and seasonal trips like ATL-FCO and JFK-CPH (on the 763) are still operating in December, which I don't ever recall happening before. Bottom line is that the premium leisure demand for Europe, South Africa, and Australia is eating up a lot of the block hours that were lost to the ongoing China closure.

Yes Europe is stronger in the shoulder season, but they are also like you said doing 2ku on the 339s and aggressively finishing the remaining Premium Select / PS mods on the remaining 333s they didn't receive it before last summer. Plus maintenance visits.
They aren't deploying 330s on domestic but there is decent about of 763s doing so.

This year they are using 763s to do a lot of the domestic stuff out of ATL.

BoeingGuy

Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:21 pm

mesasurf wrote:
Also within the potential international expansion rumor mill is that both SLC-CDG/AMS will be seeing upgauges and additional frequencies. The SLC-AMS additions might be coming from their JV partner KL. Also the SLC-LHR route might be getting dropped. It is still bleeding money. I’m sure if DL does drop it BA will come in and add it.

KL already serves SLC-AMS. I wonder if AF will come to SLC as they do to MSP.

SLCaviation

Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:26 pm

mesasurf wrote:

LHR-SLC wouldn’t drop, its going 339 this summer and it was full every single day this past summer. It would at most go to a seasonal.

mesasurf

Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:49 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
mesasurf wrote:

KL already serves SLC-AMS. I wonder if AF will come to SLC as they do to MSP.

I understand that, but I’m hearing it might be going year-around on KL, not just seasonal.

Favre4

Kim Re: Delta Network Thread - 2022

Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:53 am

rjbesikof wrote:
kavok wrote:

Even without COVID, DL would not be able to fly ATL-PVG since it would need Russian airspace.

Russia overfly not required for PVG

tjerome

Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:50 am

rjbesikof wrote:
kavok wrote:

Delta.com says 359 range is 7275 miles.
ATL-PVG is 7659 miles.

AdEd

Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:19 am

tjerome wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
kavok wrote:

ATL-PVG is 7659 miles.

ATL-JNB is 8434 miles

Boeing757100

Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:16 pm

AdEd wrote:
tjerome wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

ATL-PVG is 7659 miles.

ATL-JNB is 8434 miles

IIRC when ATL-PVG flew, it overflew Japan to avoid N Korea, something similar to this, In total, it's over 7900 mi, but if the 359 can do ATL-JNB, I don't see it having many problems on PVG-ATL
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=pvg-nrt-atl

rainaviation2

Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:31 pm

Antoli0794 wrote:
Interesting that DTW has more seats to HNL than MSP even though it restarted not long ago.

I have never really understood why MSP cannot handle, and/or why DL doesn't have more seats in the HNL market.

jbs2886

Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:30 pm

rainaviation2 wrote:
Antoli0794 wrote:
Interesting that DTW has more seats to HNL than MSP even though it restarted not long ago.

I have never really understood why MSP cannot handle, and/or why DL doesn't have more seats in the HNL market.

Probably because most of the traffic can flow more efficiently over other hubs (LAX, SLC, SEA, ATL).

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:08 am

Right now both DTW and MSP - HNL are being operated with the 763.

In January, DTW-HNL goes to the 35L (exLatam 359).

Not convinced this is so much as specific demand from DTW as it is more of an operational decision.
- DL will soon be putting its 4th 35L into revenue service by Jan, and they are putting them on specific leisure oriented routes versus the DL delivered 359s
- ATL-HNL is being flown with the 35L, thus makes it able to route tails and crews between these routes in ATL
- DTW has a 350 pilot base, and not a 7ER this they can crew HNL with DTW based pilots, which due to reduced China flying still likely has slack in the 350 hours
- there is a lot of hub-agnostic connections to HNL than could flow over multiple hub whether that be DTW, MSP, ATL, SLC, JFK, LAX, SEA. Revenue management can push connections one way or the other depending on O&D and where they can better premium demand on specific routes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos