Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

PSU.DTW.SCE

Re: Delta Network Thread - 2022

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:02 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:
Hearing a slew of new routes will be announced next week. Most likely will be loaded into the schedule on Saturday. Another announcement will be coming in December. LAX-SYD looking at going twice daily next year. Lets see what gets announced!

DL has actually gotten wise over the past several years and actually making official route annoucements / PR events before loading the flights for sale.
They realize that the internet bloggers are all over schedule updates and them stealing their thunder.

SLCaviation

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:28 pm

SLC-ICN maybe

carljanderson

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:28 pm

with the move to T-5 at ORD happening in October, maybe LAX-ORD?

Boeing757100

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:29 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:
Hearing a slew of new routes will be announced next week. Most likely will be loaded into the schedule on Saturday. Another announcement will be coming in December. LAX-SYD looking at going twice daily next year. Lets see what gets announced!

LAX routes only? or More? Personally, I'd love to see SEA-SYD instead of a full twice-daily LAX-SYD, but that's unlikely.

I think for December, they’re gonna announce and launch the triangle route for South Africa. They’ve recently gained approval for it.

Personally for LAX I have no idea. Could be either to ICN or AMS/CDG.

Personal wish is return to BOM.

777Mech

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:37 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
CaptainLeo wrote:

LAX routes only? or More? Personally, I'd love to see SEA-SYD instead of a full twice-daily LAX-SYD, but that's unlikely.

I think for December, they’re gonna announce and launch the triangle route for South Africa. They’ve recently gained approval for it.

They've already announced the launch of ATL-JNB-CPT.

If any "new" routes out of LAX, the safe ones would be AMS/double daily SYD.

My wild card (and a very long shot) route would be AKL.

Boeing757100

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:51 pm

777Mech wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

They've already announced the launch of ATL-JNB-CPT.

If any "new" routes out of LAX, the safe ones would be AMS/double daily SYD.

My wild card (and a very long shot) route would be AKL.

I don’t think that DL would enter a market dominated pretty heavily by star alliance. Also I think you’re right about the triangle route

x1234

Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:58 pm

I have heard rumours of SYD, SIN and possibly BKK/MNL. SIN/BKK/MNL/HKG are the top connecfting destinations out of ICN on the DL/KE JV.

Boeing757100

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:02 pm

x1234 wrote:
I have heard rumours of SYD, SIN and possibly BKK/MNL. SIN/BKK/MNL/HKG are the top connecfting destinations out of ICN on the DL/KE JV.

I don’t know if BKK to the US will be viable yet, and there’s been relative negativity on here regarding a Us3 at MNL.

I think HKG could work but other things regarding Chinese politics may play against that.

rjbesikof

Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:27 pm

My bets.
1) The 2nd SYD going year round.
2) A 2nd daily LAX-HND.
3) LAX-AKL (give Air NZ some competition).
4) LAX-LHR/ICN (metal swaps with VS/KE).

TropicalSky

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:29 pm

well JAPAN has officially announced they're fully opening the borders,so don't count out routes to that country.

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ ... index.html

LAXintl wrote:
As a heads up Delta on September 29th has a media event at LAX to show the next phase of renovated Terminal-3 along with becoming a corporate partner of LA28 Olympics.

As part of the announcement teaser, they state " We’ll announce new international routes from LAX"

Let the guesses begin...

To me it could be something rather boring such as Mexico and Canada route, or maybe something with JV partners like LATAM into South America or a Seoul flight on DL metal to compliment KE service.
Last edited by TropicalSky on Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flyfresno

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:36 pm

[photoid][/photoid]
CaptainLeo wrote:

Any more Oceana possible? Either LAX-BNE/AKL/MLB or SEA-SYD?

jbs2886

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:43 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
well JAPAN has officially announced they're fully opening the borders,so don't count out routes to that country.

LAXintl wrote:
As a heads up Delta on September 29th has a media event at LAX to show the next phase of renovated Terminal-3 along with becoming a corporate partner of LA28 Olympics.

As part of the announcement teaser, they state " We’ll announce new international routes from LAX"

Let the guesses begin...

To me it could be something rather boring such as Mexico and Canada route, or maybe something with JV partners like LATAM into South America or a Seoul flight on DL metal to compliment KE service.

This is great news, but there is still a lot of capacity to be restored. Maybe SEA-KIX will return though.

flyfresno wrote:
[photoid][/photoid]
CaptainLeo wrote:

Any more Oceana possible? Either LAX-BNE/AKL/MLB or SEA-SYD?

DL is significantly smaller than AA and UA in Oceania, so I'm cautiously optimistic we see some expansion there - not to be on parity, but to offer more. AKL, in my mind, fits a lot of the "premium leisure" focus, its just competitive. I did see a tweet by an aviation journalist today about ANZ showing how fast international travel has come back though.

Hammmmmmer

Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:45 pm

CaptainLeo wrote:

LAX-GRU? I could see it thanks to the LATAM JV and the fact that AA no longer serves the route.

rjbesikof

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:05 pm

TropicalSky wrote:

LAXintl wrote:

Let the guesses begin...

I'm thinking LAX-HND goes double daily.

flyboy80

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:14 pm

I think LAX-HND 2x daily and LHR. I think they recently had a press release about HND and a new Skyclub. I see their Asia portfolio over the next years revolving a lot around the Tokyo market specifically and connecting other Asia traffic over ICN.

hl8208

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:15 pm

Anything "new" ex-LAX will probably just be metal swaps with JV partners (ICN/CDG) and/or resumptions (LHR). ICN makes sense, as KE ran 5x weekly 77W on top of 2X daily A380 in summer 2019. AF is up to 4 daily, can easily give one to DL. Not holding my breath for anything to SE Asia or deep South America. AKL/BNE/MEL would be nice considering the gap left by AA/VA.
Last edited by hl8208 on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kavok

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:19 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

LAXintl wrote:

Let the guesses begin...

LAX-HND double daily would require USDOT approval. More specifically, DL would have to 1) Cancel one of their existing HND slots (most likely HNL, PDX, or MSP), and 2) get DOT approval to move it to LAX while risking a slot rebid… in which AA SEA-HND or UA IAH-HND would be the likely competition.

So there is a risk that DL would lose their HND slot to AA/UA , and this assumes that even if DL could move HND slots, that a double daily LAX-HND flight is more desirable than being the only US carrier on JFK-HND.

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:35 pm

I’d love to see JFK-HND some day…
Could see more LAX-Aus/NZ. With no JV partner down under, the onus falls on DL’s shoulders to provide now. AKL would be nice, could also take MEL.

Boeing757100

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:41 pm

A post upthread asked if the route expansion is just for LAX and we've been mainly speculating that. However, is LAX gonna get expansions for the announcements planned for next week AND for December? I'd think DL could do some adds in ATL and JFK and SEA also, but that's just me.

jbs2886

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:09 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

LAXintl wrote:

Let the guesses begin...

flyboy80 wrote:
I think LAX-HND 2x daily and LHR. I think they recently had a press release about HND and a new Skyclub. I see their Asia portfolio over the next years revolving a lot around the Tokyo market specifically and connecting other Asia traffic over ICN.

Where is DL getting the HND right from?

Cactusjuba

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:20 pm

6 WBs free for S23. First tranche of route announcements soon, second tranche in NOV or DEC.

TW870

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:36 pm

Cactusjuba wrote:
6 WBs free for S23. First tranche of route announcements soon, second tranche in NOV or DEC.

Good piece of info! For new LAX routes, I think it has got to be ICN. That market is recovering faster than others in Asia, it is a massive market, and they already have JV coverage so there is far less risk than usual. I actually think AKL could also happen. Before Covid I would have said never ever. But travel is really changing, and premium leisure/remote work is changing the geography of high yield travel. Southern Europe, South Africa, and Australia/New Zealand are all very hot. The Southern Cone has amazing potential too, but I'd say no way from LAX given high fuel prices, a very long route, and very convenient alternatives over MIA, ATL, DFW, and IAH.

ANA787

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:47 pm

DL mentioned that all precovid transatlantic routes would be back starting summer 2023. So far PDX-LHR has not resumed. My guess is PDX-LHR or possibly PDX-CDG.

UPlog

Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:52 pm

From LAX, I could see service to partner hubs like AMS, CDG, ICN, LHR.

AKL announcement now would be odd timing as peak season is around the corner and unless they can launch almost immediately would not make sense to announce something In September 2022 for winter 2023/24.

But as mentioned, the LAX announcement could also be something much more mundane with flight to Mexico, Central America or Canada even.

N292UX

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:01 am

LAX-ICN seems most likely, JFK-DUS and MSP-BCN are two dark horses IMO

pdxplanes837362

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:26 am

kavok wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:
TropicalSky wrote:

LAX-HND double daily would require USDOT approval. More specifically, DL would have to 1) Cancel one of their existing HND slots (most likely HNL, PDX, or MSP), and 2) get DOT approval to move it to LAX while risking a slot rebid… in which AA SEA-HND or UA IAH-HND would be the likely competition.

So there is a risk that DL would lose their HND slot to AA/UA , and this assumes that even if DL could move HND slots, that a double daily LAX-HND flight is more desirable than being the only US carrier on JFK-HND.

At one point in time I heard that the PDX slot delta holds is bounded to PDX, does anyone know if that is/was the case and whether Delta would be able to get around the binding or if it would require them giving that particular spot up.

ANA787

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:40 am

pdxplanes837362 wrote:
kavok wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

At one point in time I heard that the PDX slot delta holds is bounded to PDX, does anyone know if that is/was the case and whether Delta would be able to get around the binding or if it would require them giving that particular spot up.
the slot for PDX at HND is non transferable. If DL decides to not use it and officially stop the route, it would go back to the pool again for applications, and DL likely wouldn’t be as lucky 2nd time around. They are better off trying to make it work. I’m sure DL will add a couple feeders at PDX to help this flight (possibly LAS as they said they’d do when they announced the route back in 2019).

“This includes new twice-daily service beginning April 1 between Las Vegas and Portland, Ore., which will be timed for customers to easily connect on to Delta’s new Portland-Haneda flight.”

https://news.delta.com/delta-sky-club-and-new-haneda-routes-coming-tokyo-bound-customers-2020

FLYKTPA

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:22 am

ANA787 wrote:
DL mentioned that all precovid transatlantic routes would be back starting summer 2023. So far PDX-LHR has not resumed. My guess is PDX-LHR or possibly PDX-CDG.

Where was this mentioned?

Midwestindy

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:43 am

ANA787 wrote:

Pretty sure they already reallocated the LHR slot elsewhere.

What’s the reasoning behind PDX-CDG?

jashah

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:20 am

Any chance of DL reinstating their SEA-YYJ route? Those of us in YYJ are held captive to AS which is now only running 1 flight a day versus 3 to 5 pre-COVID. With the expanding network DL is building from SEA, this would seem like a a way to pick up connecting traffic.

TransWorldOne

Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:28 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
jashah wrote:
Any chance of DL reinstating their SEA-YYJ route? Those of us in YYJ are held captive to AS which is now only running 1 flight a day versus 3 to 5 pre-COVID. With the expanding network DL is building from SEA, this would seem like a a way to pick up connecting traffic.

What expanding DL network out of SEA?

dtwpilot225

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:15 am

I could see bos-bcn as a route
I think if they add an additional frequency somewhere I wouldn’t be suprised to see them add a second dtw-cdg at some point with a reduction of a dtw ams from 4 to 3 in the summer

MIflyer12

Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:34 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
jashah wrote:

What expanding DL network out of SEA?

DL had gotten to the target of ~160-170 flights a day, done some messing around the edges, then Covid hit. Even with SEA's facilities expansion I'm not expecting many adds until Asia traffic resumes nearly in full. In part, IMHO, they don't have the small aircraft available (the way one traditionally builds a hub) because they're using small mainline to backfill Delta Connection ops.

https://news.delta.com/delta-taps-30-ye ... ad-seattle

DLASFlyer

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:54 pm

jashah wrote:

Canada seems just about dead to Delta. They aren't even flying SLC-YVR every day. Not only has Delta abandoned Canada's capital and 6th largest city, they have also abandoned the 5th and 8th largest cities (YEG and YQB.) Sad to say I don't think Canada will see new routes any time soon. Part of the blame lies on the Canadian government for continuing with archaic travel restrictions.

Midwestindy

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:57 pm

Midwestindy

DL adds new TATL for S23

Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:59 pm

Bottom line is restoring pre-covid routes from hubs.
JFK-LGW (Ensuring B6 doesn't hold too strong)
JFK-GVA
JFK-BER
+ JFK-FCO to 3x daily
LAX-CDG
LAX-LHR

https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-new ... mmer-2023/

Re: DL adds new TATL for S23

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:05 pm

EDI looks a strong market for DL. From JFK to to BOS and now ATL.

hsuthe19

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:23 pm

TonyClifton wrote:

My dad and I prior to Covid used to go on a golfing trip there in the summer. When we started looking for tickets in, D1 was ALWAYS sold out or tickets were 5-7k. Was always a bitter point for him as he loves flying premium. :lol:

panam330

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm

Nice to see the secondary German markets come back. It feels like DL is the only non-Star airline to make it work - and even UA doesn’t fly to STR and DUS.

travelin man

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:38 pm

Hopefully LAX-LHR/CDG will be successful on the A339 equipment. I flew DL LAX-LHR back in 2015 on the 763 in Biz and even then the product was sub-par.

johhn14

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:46 pm

I'm surprised not to see any BOS expansion. That has very much been the trend.

hsuthe19

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:53 pm

panam330 wrote:
Nice to see the secondary German markets come back. It feels like DL is the only non-Star airline to make it work - and even UA doesn’t fly to STR and DUS.

It helps to have a monster like ATL as a hub. Also Mercedes/Porsche is based in ATL I believe.

adamh8297

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:57 pm

johhn14 wrote:
I'm surprised not to see any BOS expansion. That has very much been the trend.

They have shored up some of the past additions.

BOS-EDI daily and 767
BOS-ATH up to 4 weekly

Boeing757100

Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:59 pm

GVA is interesting. How is ZRH doing?

Boeing757100

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:03 pm

Midwestindy wrote:

Lots of people are gonna be happy about ATL-EDI returning. I’ve heard that when the flight was operating about 13 years ago, it provides a wealth of connection opportunity and had good load factors

asuflyer05

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:41 pm

hsuthe19 wrote:
TonyClifton wrote:

My dad and I prior to Covid used to go on a golfing trip there in the summer. When we started looking for tickets in, D1 was ALWAYS sold out or tickets were 5-7k. Was always a bitter point for him as he loves flying premium. :lol:

Yeah I know quite a few people who do high-end golf trips around the UK starting in EDI. A couple complained about lack of J availability. One group I know of ended up chartering a jet for their trip.

AV8AJET

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm

Very happy to the see the return of ATL-EDI!!!

carljanderson

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm

luckyone

Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:47 pm

hsuthe19 wrote:
panam330 wrote:

It helps to have a monster like ATL as a hub. Also Mercedes/Porsche is based in ATL I believe.

Delta served Stuttgart for many years before Mercedes and Porsche relocated their American headquarters to the Atlanta area.

B747forever

Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:33 pm

I take it the LAX-LHR/CDG routes are not in addition to the current VS/AF flights, but replacing one flight each keeping the same number of total flights.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos