Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T5towbar

Re: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA/SWF/HPN/ISP) Aviation Thread - 2022

Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:17 am

varsity wrote:
Drove through EWR the other night, it looks like the Jetways are gone off the A-1 satellite (at least on the former WN side) and there's a new fork in the approach roadway which will take you over to the new frontage roads. It also looks like the tri-color logo that represents the current 1970s terminals is being retired in favor of one with the Statue of Liberty.

Wondering how long it will be before the wrecking ball comes. I suspected there might have been asbestos remediation inside given the age of the building. It's a little frustrating that they don't have a schedule in that presentation.

They are in the phase where they are pulling out the underground tanks out of the ground, and I think that they are now doing the asbestos remediation (the windows are covered in the satellite) before knocking down the satellite. Also at the same time, looks like they are putting in the underground tanks at the new building.

Not all of the jetways are demolished though. The PA is still trying to figure out what to figure out what to do with Gate 17.

len90

Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:44 am

varsity wrote:
Drove through EWR the other night, it looks like the Jetways are gone off the A-1 satellite (at least on the former WN side) and there's a new fork in the approach roadway which will take you over to the new frontage roads. It also looks like the tri-color logo that represents the current 1970s terminals is being retired in favor of one with the Statue of Liberty.

Wondering how long it will be before the wrecking ball comes. I suspected there might have been asbestos remediation inside given the age of the building. It's a little frustrating that they don't have a schedule in that presentation.

Jetways have been off the gates at EWR for a bit now. Definitely lots of underground work going on to remove tanks for fueling the aircraft. Airside A1 needs to be torn down in order to be able to utilize the northern end of the new terminal. New terminal is coming along really nicely as well. F9 left EWR officially as of the 16th. However with the F9/NK merger maybe we haven't seen the last of F9...

B6 is currently running one of the toughest operations at EWR. They have international flights going in and out of B2/B3 with domestic going between A2/A3. Pretty sure they will be the most relieved airline when the new terminal finally opens as they can consolidate their operation and hopefully become somewhat more efficient. There's no way they are expanding much more as the airport is too congested. Runway usage and taxiways can't really handle more volume. Major part of these new terminal buildings is to be set back further west to open up more space for aircraft parking and allow for easier aircraft movement.

Airport signage around EWR was replaced over the last couple of the months so now signs are blue as opposed to yellow. The traffic pattern for the new terminal A is set with the cut off being a fork from the old terminal. Not sure I like how it will have traffic flowing around nicely; especially for the long term parking shuttles.

Was just in Terminal A-3 on Friday. It's getting worse by the day in there. Extremely crowded with B6, AS, AA all sharing space in there. Only two restaurants and one quick service place behind security. Nothing to really do if you are delayed except take pictures of the aircraft outside the window. A-3 has some great photo opportunities from between 35 and 36.

EWR777

Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:52 am

AS546 going in and out of Term B gate 63 tonight. AS using B now?

EWR777

Sat Mar 12, 2022 1:35 am

EWR777 wrote:

AS375 went out of B as well...B65

Anything to do with the new Terminal A?

Nicknuzzii

Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:02 am

[photoid][/photoid]
EWR777 wrote:
EWR777 wrote:

AS375 went out of B as well...B65

Anything to do with the new Terminal A?

Yes they moved march 1st. Took the old frontier gates

Trk1

Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:51 pm

What is the current expected date of the opening of the new terminal?

STT757

Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:35 pm

Trk1 wrote:

Im going to guess Memorial day weekend, it looks done except for the bus/car hire lanes in the front. I would say you know we're close when the fences around the airfield come down. I really wish the would have a public viewing event before it's official opening.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:47 pm

STT757 wrote:
Trk1 wrote:

Im going to guess Memorial day weekend, it looks done except for the bus/car hire lanes in the front. I would say you know we're close when the fences around the airfield come down. I really wish the would have a public viewing event before it's official opening.

As of late it was supposed to be 4/26/2022

twaconnie

Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:42 pm

Speaking of new terminals opening does anyone have a date for Delta opening their doors for their new terminal at LGA?

ddaly241

EWR New Airtrain questions

Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:46 pm

According to the EWR Development website, the new EWR airtrain is supposed to break ground and start construction in late 2022. To start off with questions, my first question about it is by looking at the map of the new airtrain, will that mean that the next step after the airtrain is built, will there be new terminals to replace B and C? Thoughts and opinions?
Last edited by atcsundevil on Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited spelling in title

STT757

Re: EWR New Artrain questions

Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:14 pm

ddaly241 wrote:
According to the EWR Development website, the new EWR airtrain is supposed to break ground and start construction in late 2022. To start off with questions, my first question about it is by looking at the map of the new airtrain, will that mean that the next step after the airtrain is built, will there be new terminals to replace B and C? Thoughts and opinions?

They are waiting to award the contract, there are three vendors in the competition, and yes obviously a new Terminal B is in the planning stages which is why the proposed new Airtrain station is going to be located so far from the current Terminal B.

N649DL

Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:33 pm

STT757 wrote:
ddaly241 wrote:

They are waiting to award the contract, there are three vendors in the competition, and yes obviously a new Terminal B is in the planning stages which is why the proposed new Airtrain station is going to be located so far from the current Terminal B.

According to page 21, it doesn't look like they want to demolish Terminal B at all.

Where is fixation coming from with trying to get rid of the current Terminal B? Should they do that, they might as well do C as well.

Prost

Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:37 pm

I don’t see that page 21 addresses terminal B.

Polot

Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:24 pm

N649DL wrote:

Where is fixation coming from with trying to get rid of the current Terminal B? Should they do that, they might as well do C as well.

Because Terminal B is 50 years old next year? And it shows- it’s not well designed for current travel needs.

I’m sure if money and operations were no obstacle they would gladly replace C too. But they are and replacing B is a much higher priority than replacing C, since a vast majority of C is much newer than B.

zuckie13

Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:27 pm

They anticipate that when this opens, the current Terminal B will still be in use. Passengers needing that terminal will use the "STation 3" stop that will be common for both Terminal B and C and have a bit of a walk over to the terminal. Eventually they expect a new Terminal B to be build and would build out "Station 2" to serve it's new location.

Terminal C replacement will be much further away - that terminal does not have the problems the other two have in terms of modern security needs and number of gates it can have.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:34 pm

I'm sure the new one will be better. That things [email protected] in any cold weather below 25 degrees. Hope the new one can handle freezing temperatures. Great in the summer the current one totally unreliable in winter!

STT757

Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:46 pm

The figure 3 map on page 13 depicts the new terminal development site, shaded in blue, and covering the area currently occupied by the current Terminal A, current Terminal B and surface short term parking.

N649DL

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:12 am

Polot wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Because Terminal B is 50 years old next year? And it shows- it’s not well designed for current travel needs.

I’m sure if money and operations were no obstacle they would gladly replace C too. But they are and replacing B is a much higher priority than replacing C, since a vast majority of C is much newer than B.

Um, the main part of Terminal C is in the same age group as well. There have been significant upgrades to "B" in the last decade or so, whereas with "C" the last major upgrades were completed now 20 years ago. These are proposals, not formal construction plans.

It's not happening folks. You're lucky you're getting a new "A" in the meantime.

Polot

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:06 am

N649DL wrote:
Polot wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Um, the main part of Terminal C is in the same age group as well. There have been significant upgrades to "B" in the last decade or so, whereas with "C" the last major upgrades were completed now 20 years ago. These are proposals, not formal construction plans.

It's not happening folks. You're lucky you're getting a new "A" in the meantime.

Only most of the the front headhouse containing ticketing and baggage is the same age (and aside from the number of stairs required probably the least problematic part of the 50 year design of A/B/C). The concourses are all not.

B’s investments made it better, but doesn’t change the fact that most of the terminal is 50 years old (which comes into play in maintaining the facility) and is too small.

Nobody said it’s happening immediately, but Terminal B replacement is the next big project after completion of new A and AirTrain, which answers the question asked by the OP. This is supported by the Airtrain’s new design and in documentation surrounding the new Airtrain project. After Terminal B replacement then C replacement will be explored. PANYNJ are not going to stop after the AirTrain replacement and never invest in EWR again.

jfklganyc

Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:59 am

N649DL wrote:
Polot wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Correct.

Long walk from the new train to old terminals for a long time

STT757

Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:25 pm

So the Port Authority, which is equally controlled by the States of New York and New Jersey, is going to facilitate the total replacement of the LGA and JFK terminals yet they are going punish New Jersey by making them endure terminals that are 50-60 years old? That view is not realistic considering the balance that the agency must retain in terms of investments in both States.

Terminal B is next, when Terminal A is complete they will launch the new Terminal B project.

N649DL

Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:22 pm

STT757 wrote:
So the Port Authority, which is equally controlled by the States of New York and New Jersey, is going to facilitate the total replacement of the LGA and JFK terminals yet they are going punish New Jersey by making them endure terminals that are 50-60 years old? That view is not realistic considering the balance that the agency must retain in terms of investments in both States.

Terminal B is next, when Terminal A is complete they will launch the new Terminal B project.

No, there's no evidence at all that a new Terminal B is going to be built at this point. I know some people want EWR to look a lot like the structure of DEN or something like that (based on the rendering) but you have to factor in demolishing existing facilities - plus politics, costs, mafia payoffs, overall timing, etc.

This argument is getting a little neurotic, IMHO. Maybe wait to see how the new Terminal A plays out and how PANYNJ takes on getting rid of the current "A?" Might be biting off more than can be chewed at EWR, all things considered.

If it were up to me, I'd demolish all EWR terminals and start from scratch. And this is mainly based on how confusing the highway structure & runways are built into the airport. Yet, that's a pipe dream until you pay off somebody because "I know a Guy, Baba-Booey."

bigb

Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:57 pm

N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:

No, there's no evidence at all that a new Terminal B is going to be built at this point. I know some people want EWR to look a lot like the structure of DEN or something like that (based on the rendering) but you have to factor in demolishing existing facilities - plus politics, costs, mafia payoffs, overall timing, etc.

This argument is getting a little neurotic, IMHO. Maybe wait to see how the new Terminal A plays out and how PANYNJ takes on getting rid of the current "A?" Might be biting off more than can be chewed at EWR, all things considered.

If it were up to me, I'd demolish all EWR terminals and start from scratch. And this is mainly based on how confusing the highway structure & runways are built into the airport. Yet, that's a pipe dream until you pay off somebody because "I know a Guy, Baba-Booey."

There’s plenty of evidence out there that Terminal B is coming, after Terminal A. Terminal is in the process of being Demo has the new A gets closer to coming online lol. Terminal B is coming lol. It will come sooner than you think imo.

airzim

Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:29 pm

N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:

What's your deal with Term B? Your beloved Delta is moving to the new A, so who cares?

The fact is Newark is tarmac constrained. They can't grow the footprint by expanding beyond the current perimeter. But there's a huge chuck of useless space which today is the Marriott Hotel and various flat parking areas of A and B. Tear down A and B and the Marriott, move the terminals closer to the 1/9, expand the terminal design, more RON parking, expanded FIS, improve traffic flows both for the passengers and aircraft, possibly add a new runway (although highly unlikely). It's going to happen.

Lastly, I think you need to get out of your Soprano's Jersey mafia mindset. This isn't a Godfather movie.

MaRoFu

Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:07 am

I recall the Port Authority releasing a PDF that appeared to show initial renderings for an eventual Terminal B replacement that will adjoin the new Terminal A. Of course such a terminal will be many years away from now.

N649DL

Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:35 am

airzim wrote:
N649DL wrote:
STT757 wrote:

What's your deal with Term B? Your beloved Delta is moving to the new A, so who cares?

The fact is Newark is tarmac constrained. They can't grow the footprint by expanding beyond the current perimeter. But there's a huge chuck of useless space which today is the Marriott Hotel and various flat parking areas of A and B. Tear down A and B and the Marriott, move the terminals closer to the 1/9, expand the terminal design, more RON parking, expanded FIS, improve traffic flows both for the passengers and aircraft, possibly add a new runway (although highly unlikely). It's going to happen.

Lastly, I think you need to get out of your Soprano's Jersey mafia mindset. This isn't a Godfather movie.

Then *Demolish* the entire terminal structure. This isn't a DL thing, believe me, I'm not a fan of the DL gates in B-1 at all. EWR is landlocked by highways, but I suppose (from your standpoint) let's give UA a pass for 20+ gates in the new terminal? And why? To keep UA "hub captive" at a garbage bin-based hub? They can't even get the UA Clubs right at the moment.

Finally, yes, I'm from NJ, and the Jersey mafia mindset is a real thing. If you don't think it isn't, you need to get your head checked out. I have a friend who works at the port and it's all corrupt. You're living in the land of the make believe if you think otherwise. And it's adjacent to EWR.

BTW: It's not "The Godfather" at EWR, it would be more comparable to "Good Fellas." But yeah, continue to do the typical NJ mindset and ignore stuff in using favoritism to your benefit. It's why NJ has 71% of it's folks leaving: https://247wallst.com/special-report/20 ... w%20Jersey.

T5towbar

Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:58 am

The plans are to build out the new Air Train next. And I don't think that they will tear down the powerplant building that is next to the Terminal A main building. Something has to be done with that building as the Air Train construction proceeds. That is one of the reasons why they are not going to immediately tear down the old building yet.

It also looks like the Budweiser (Anheuser Busch) building is closed. Probably will be torn down soon to make more space for hotels. etc. I'm gonna miss the smell of beer, and the rotating "Big A & Flying Eagle" sign on the top of the building at night.

Also, what is going on with the PATH extension that is supposed to connect with the rail station. I haven't heard any news about that yet.

airzim

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:26 am

N649DL wrote:
airzim wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Then *Demolish* the entire terminal structure. This isn't a DL thing, believe me, I'm not a fan of the DL gates in B-1 at all. EWR is landlocked by highways, but I suppose (from your standpoint) let's give UA a pass for 20+ gates in the new terminal? And why? To keep UA "hub captive" at a garbage bin-based hub? They can't even get the UA Clubs right at the moment.

Finally, yes, I'm from NJ, and the Jersey mafia mindset is a real thing. If you don't think it isn't, you need to get your head checked out. I have a friend who works at the port and it's all corrupt. You're living in the land of the make believe if you think otherwise. And it's adjacent to EWR.

BTW: It's not "The Godfather" at EWR, it would be more comparable to "Good Fellas." But yeah, continue to do the typical NJ mindset and ignore stuff in using favoritism to your benefit. It's why NJ has 71% of it's folks leaving: https://247wallst.com/special-report/20 ... w%20Jersey.

I shouldn't but....

You can't "demolish" the entire airport and expect the airlines to continue to operate. EWR is the #1 economic driver in Newark, a critical hub for one of the world's largest airlines, and one of the US and the world's largest transit hub. You have to do things incrementally.

Not even sure what you're ranting about regarding United.

Regarding the mafia; the reference is to highlight a bygone era tucked with movie fantasy and nostalgia. While we can discuss corruption in general at all levels of government, your continual innuendo regarding mafia in the NY metro is really quaint.

But then let's ignore what the PANYNJ just accomplished at LGA. Impressive is probably not strong enough an adjective.

So let's go back to reality. There are acres of misused space between the three terminals current occupied by paved street parking and a Marriott Hotel. Knock it all down. Move the terminals back, stack the parking, increase usable ramp space, and improve the customer experience. Not sure what the objection is? You don't live in NJ anymore anyway so why do you care?

MIflyer12

Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:45 am

STT757 wrote:
So the Port Authority, which is equally controlled by the States of New York and New Jersey, is going to facilitate the total replacement of the LGA and JFK terminals yet they are going punish New Jersey by making them endure terminals that are 50-60 years old?

When UA shows it's willing to cough up the money that DL did for LGA and JFK, EWR can get some nice things, too.

Public-private partnership = easier bonding (less to be borrowed). It also lines the pockets of investors who line the pockets of politicians. It's how big things get done in greater NYC.

EWR777

Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:51 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Trk1 wrote:

Interesting, not far off. Out of curiosity,.could you share the source?

Hiring is in full swing. Would have thought they would have started hiring before now if they are looking to open end of next month https://patch.com/new-jersey/newarknj/a ... 7b-project

STT757

Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:12 pm

EWR777 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Hiring is in full swing. Would have thought they would have started hiring before now if they are looking to open end of next month https://patch.com/new-jersey/newarknj/a ... 7b-project

They would not be hiring cooks, baristas and bartenders etc.. now if they were not ready to open.

EWR777

Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:33 pm

STT757 wrote:
EWR777 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

They would not be hiring cooks, baristas and bartenders etc.. now if they were not ready to open.

I was more thinking of ramp, ticket agents, etc that may need more time for training

STT757

Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:43 pm

EWR777 wrote:
STT757 wrote:
EWR777 wrote:

I was more thinking of ramp, ticket agents, etc that may need more time for training

But don't those jobs already exist? There aren't any new airlines with the new terminal, they're just shifting their operations.

EWR777

Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:16 pm

STT757 wrote:
EWR777 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

But don't those jobs already exist? There aren't any new airlines with the new terminal, they're just shifting their operations.

Likely but looks like they are hiring more if you read the article. My simple thought was how they're going to identify candidates, finalize job offers, onboard, train, test systems etc if the terminal is going to open in 30 days. Perhaps it's possible but was more curious

tlecam

Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:12 pm

Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere, but looks like there was some recent news about JFK, including airport projects and Delta has shared some details about its T4 updates.

https://twitter.com/byerussell/status/1 ... 26211?s=21

https://twitter.com/byerussell/status/1 ... 53345?s=21

BA178

Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:55 pm

tlecam wrote:
Not sure if this is being discussed elsewhere, but looks like there was some recent news about JFK, including airport projects and Delta has shared some details about its T4 updates.

Interesting, looks like Delta/IAT brought back the existing terminal improvements portion of the redevelopment. I'm excited to see how extensive this will be, given how they won't be finished until late 2024 at the earliest.

I see they've also added a "Concourse B Wide-Body Gate Conversion" section for three gates. I wonder what they're doing there, as those gates already support wide-body aircraft, if I recall.

tlecam

Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:55 pm

BA178 wrote:
tlecam wrote:

Interesting, looks like Delta/IAT brought back the existing terminal improvements portion of the redevelopment. I'm excited to see how extensive this will be, given how they won't be finished until late 2024 at the earliest.

I see they've also added a "Concourse B Wide-Body Gate Conversion" section for three gates. I wonder what they're doing there, as those gates already support wide-body aircraft, if I recall.

I agree, pretty excited. This link has more of the timeline. I wish there was an easier way to either embed tweets or share photos on this forum.

The wording on the 3 gates wide body conversion has been ambiguous to me. It looks like these are gates B25/27/29, and I have definitely flown out of those gates to European destinations. The 7:15 to LHR is departing from B27 today. Maybe they’re converting to narrow body? Idk.

This link has a timeline of the Delta specific improvements. Looks like those three gates will be converted by July. Guess we’ll know for sure then. There is at least one forum member (JFKLGANYC) who usually has good details / insights into all things JFK.

https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1 ... pwu6e1Ji3w

atlflyer

Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:06 pm

It also appears JFKiAT will pay to completely overhaul the terminal so all airlines benefit rather than Delta just doing their section.

tmu101

Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:12 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:
Trk1 wrote:

I'm curious how this will be done. Will the old terminal A receive all the day's final scheduled arrivals and then overnight be towed to the new terminal A for the start of the next day's operations (when it opens) ? Or will the aircraft already parked at the old "A" depart from old "A" and then the first arrival into new "A" will be a mid morning arrival (probably with all the ceremonial pomp that will nodoubtedly accompany such opening?) Will old "A" be totally shut down when new "A" opens? (I'd imagine there would be a little overlap since new "A" won't be fully completed until later this year?) I wonder which flight/airline/city will have the honor of being the first arrival and departure (my guess would be a UA flight - probably an LAX or SFO arrival).

Being that EWR will forever be my home airport (grew up in N. Jersey (parents still live there) even though i live in the DFW Metroplex now) this is really exciting news as we often fly AA back when visiting the parental units and I think we'll be using this new terminal often. :smile: Thank you all for the responses.

STT757

Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:37 pm

tmu101 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I'm curious how this will be done. Will the old terminal A receive all the day's final scheduled arrivals and then overnight be towed to the new terminal A for the start of the next day's operations (when it opens) ? Or will the aircraft already parked at the old "A" depart from old "A" and then the first arrival into new "A" will be a mid morning arrival (probably with all the ceremonial pomp that will nodoubtedly accompany such opening?) Will old "A" be totally shut down when new "A" opens? (I'd imagine there would be a little overlap since new "A" won't be fully completed until later this year?) I wonder which flight/airline/city will have the honor of being the first arrival and departure (my guess would be a UA flight - probably an LAX or SFO arrival).

Being that EWR will forever be my home airport (grew up in N. Jersey (parents still live there) even though i live in the DFW Metroplex now) this is really exciting news as we often fly AA back when visiting the parental units and I think we'll be using this new terminal often. :smile: Thank you all for the responses.

Not all the gates are opening at the same time, the 12 or so closest to the current Terminal A will not open until the end of the year.

LCDFlight

Is LGA done? Is it a success?

Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:42 pm

I saw articles saying Terminal B is complete, and Terminal C is scheduled to complete. On Wikipedia, it says the LGA redevelopment is scheduled to complete in 2021.

So, is everything done? What are your thoughts on the success of the project? I was in B Arrivals and was impressed.

william

Re: Is LGA done? Is it a success?

Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:57 pm

Was just at Terminal B, and its just about done. A littttttttttle bit sad seeing the remnants of the original bus station..........oops......concourse on the east side being torn down. The transformation of LGA is stunning. Airfield ops is still limited (why AA and DL do you use LGA as a hub?) But the terminal facilities are an upgrade in multiples of thousands, tens of thousands. Eating places are abundant, Juniors is expensive, but hey Wendy's is next door.

At first I thought the sky bridges thing was hokey, but its just as effective if not more so than the one at DEN in regards to airfield ops.

Landing on 4 and stopping before 13/31 is definitely a "Woah Nellie" moment.
Last edited by william on Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAX772LR

Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:59 pm

LGA will always be at its heart, a clusterf#ck, due to the nature of the airspace that it has to deal with.

Though when flights are perpetually delayed, people are stranded by relatively weak weather, or facing piling cancellations for almost no apparent reason-- at least now they'll have prettier and more spacious areas to hang out in.

ScottB

Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:09 pm

LCDFlight wrote:
I saw articles saying Terminal B is complete, and Terminal C is scheduled to complete. On Wikipedia, it says the LGA redevelopment is scheduled to complete in 2021.

So, is everything done? What are your thoughts on the success of the project? I was in B Arrivals and was impressed.

There was still some demolition of the old CTB (specifically Concourse D) going on last week, but that remaining bit was gone yesterday. There's still some work left to be done on paving the ramp where that concourse used to be, and once that's done, there are a handful of gates on the western concourse which will then be able to open. The Terminal B structure itself looks to be mostly done, though.

There's a lot more left on Delta's Terminal C. The new concourse at the eastern end (FKA Concourse G, now just Gates 92-98) opened late in 2019. The reduction in schedules due to Covid allowed Delta to accelerate work; the old low-numbered C gates (~C13 to ~C25) closed in early 2020 as scheduled (a new concourse has been built on that footprint), and they moved up the construction of the replacement of the original Terminal D gates since they were able to close the gates on the east side of that concourse. The remaining D gates were renumbered last week to Gates 81-89. The two new concourses look like they're almost ready to open -- there are seats in the gate areas and the passenger loading bridges are installed.

The remainder of the old Terminal C (C26 to C42) will still have to come down and be replaced, and I doubt that will be done until some time in 2024.

william

Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:17 pm

https://www.laguardiab.com/construction-updates

Scroll down to see earthcam daily video, hard to believe but the old terminal is gone.

bval

Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:24 pm

william wrote:
Airfield ops is still limited (why AA and DL do you use LGA as a hub?)

The same reason AA uses DCA over IAD: O/D traffic. Travel time to/from the airport is just as big a factor as time in the terminal or in the air for many O/D trips in the region. Getting to/from JFK at certain times of the day is quite an ordeal. There are parts of New York where you can be to LGA in a car in 20 minutes. I'm so glad the facilities were upgraded.

LCDFlight

Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:31 pm

william wrote:
Was just at Terminal B, and its just about done. A littttttttttle bit sad seeing the remnants of the original bus station..........oops......concourse on the east side being torn down. The transformation of LGA is stunning. Airfield ops is still limited (why AA and DL do you use LGA as a hub?) But the terminal facilities are an upgrade in multiples of thousands, tens of thousands. Eating places are abundant, Juniors is expensive, but hey Wendy's is next door.

At first I thought the sky bridges thing was hokey, but its just as effective if not more so than the one at DEN in regards to airfield ops.

Landing on 4 and stopping before 13/31 is definitely a "Woah Nellie" moment.

I was particularly impressed by how SPACIOUS the facility is. LGA does not have much land, but they kept the terminal feeling spacious. Really something to be proud of.

ddaly241

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:35 pm

It seems like the PA are now considering doing a whole makeover with EWR amid the new terminal A being built.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nj.com ... utType=amp

BA178

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:52 pm

ddaly241 wrote:
It seems like the PA are now considering doing a whole makeover with EWR amid the new terminal A being built.

About time, always found it odd that they had master plans for JFK and LGA but not EWR, considering that it's the second-busiest NY airport. Wonder if this means the previously-planned terminal 2 is now off the table?

ddaly241

Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:53 pm

BA178 wrote:
ddaly241 wrote:

About time, always found it odd that they had master plans for JFK and LGA but not EWR, considering that it's the second-busiest NY airport. Wonder if this means the previously-planned terminal 2 is now off the table?

Maybe, it would be interesting to see another new terminal 2