Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BA178

Re: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA/SWF/HPN/ISP) Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri May 27, 2022 9:06 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
twaconnie wrote:
Delta to open doors to new LGA terminal June 4.

Is this the "headhouse" and/or new Concourse C [former EA concourse]?

Both, I believe.

BoeingG

Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm

HPN master plan update:

https://westfaironline.com/147582/westc ... aking-off/

Curious: what facility upgrades are in store, were it to pass?

Also (unrelatedly), has Latimer commented on MX service? Have there been any updates regarding MX service?

BA178

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:15 pm

Some JFK Redevelopment news:

The new Terminal One has reached financial close for its first and largest phase: phase 1a. Construction will begin this summer, first gates opening in 2026. https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/govern ... will-begin. Also concerning Terminal One, the airside connector to T4 has been added back, as per the recently--approved environmental assessment, which is nice to see. You can find the EA here: https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/e ... ports.html

In Terminal 4 news, Delta's decided to bring back the full Concourse A buildout! The remainder of the concourse will likely begin construction once the current section is complete, and will take an extra year and a half to build as a separate phase of development. The EA this was found in also states the headhouse will receive a small bump-out to the west allowing for more check-in and security space. You can also find that EA at the previous link.

Not much on Terminals 6 or 8, but the above release from Hochul states that T6 will begin construction by the end of this year, which I believe is a delay from the Q2 groundbreaking previously proposed.

Some images from the EAs described:

ddaly241

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:40 pm

Is there also any update on the EWR master plan that the PA proposed back in March?

https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/e ... PMENT.html

tlecam

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:12 pm

BA178 wrote:

The new Terminal One has reached financial close for its first and largest phase: phase 1a. Construction will begin this summer, first gates opening in 2026. https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/govern ... will-begin. Also concerning Terminal One, the airside connector to T4 has been added back, as per the recently--approved environmental assessment, which is nice to see. You can find the EA here: https://www.panynj.gov/port-authority/e ... ports.html

In Terminal 4 news, Delta's decided to bring back the full Concourse A buildout! The remainder of the concourse will likely begin construction once the current section is complete, and will take an extra year and a half to build as a separate phase of development. The EA this was found in also states the headhouse will receive a small bump-out to the west allowing for more check-in and security space. You can also find that EA at the previous link.

Not much on Terminals 6 or 8, but the above release from Hochul states that T6 will begin construction by the end of this year, which I believe is a delay from the Q2 groundbreaking previously proposed.

THat alley between 1 and 4 is going to be an interesting place during the evening rush to Europe. Does anyone know if it’s wide enough to accommodate planes both coming and going? Or will one block the other?

BoeingG

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:39 pm

Terminal expansion = moronic. Period.

The limiting factor in NYC s airspace, which is arguably oversaturated as is. Lest we ignore how often JFK's taxiways swell during peak hours. The status quo is untenable, and ground expansion will only exacerbate issues.

United857

Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:47 pm

A bit disappointed in the new LGA plan for Concourse D. Instead tearing down Terminal C West (what remains of Terminal C today) for a brand new concourse, it will instead be renamed Concourse D. Definitely an eyesore when every other concourse at LGA was rebuilt from the ground up. See quote below:

"Moving forward, Delta will be able to keep the majority of the gates at existing Terminal D active while constructing the new Concourse F. This allows Delta to close portions of Terminal C-West for an approximately twelve-month period in order to convert it into the new Concourse D, concurrent with the Concourse F construction. Aircraft parking positions would be maintained to support Delta’s operations allowing the construction schedule to be accelerated further. See Attachment A for updated construction schedule drawings. Conversion of the existing Terminal C-West provides an additional benefit to operations as the terminal can remain partially open while construction occurs. In addition, the conversion would reduce the overall construction schedule because there would be no need for new foundations, limited structural improvements, and significantly less airside concrete and asphalt replacement compared to the 2017 design since the larger concourse footprint would displace airside apron that would otherwise need to be constructed. Combined with other acceleration efforts and changes to phasing for the overall East Side Reconfiguration as previously described, the revised Proposed Action would be completed 14 months earlier than the schedule proposed for the 2017 Proposed Action."

So close yet so far from a complete rebuild...

BA178

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:06 pm

tlecam wrote:
BA178 wrote:

THat alley between 1 and 4 is going to be an interesting place during the evening rush to Europe. Does anyone know if it’s wide enough to accommodate planes both coming and going? Or will one block the other?

It looks like it can accommodate multiple aircraft at once, thankfully. Specifically, ADG VI (A380) on the T1 side and ADG V (747 and similar aircraft) on the T4 side.

BA178

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:12 pm

BoeingG wrote:

The limiting factor in NYC s airspace, which is arguably oversaturated as is. Lest we ignore how often JFK's taxiways swell during peak hours. The status quo is untenable, and ground expansion will only exacerbate issues.

In the case of JFK, there's hardly an increase, if even one at all, in the number of gates, due to the number narrowbody gates being torn down for widebodies. I'd say the ground traffic probably won't get THAT much worse, but it won't get better. Hopefully in a decade or two they start thinking about new runways, but I can't say I'm optimistic.

BA178

Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:15 pm

United857 wrote:
A bit disappointed in the new LGA plan for Concourse D. Instead tearing down Terminal C West (what remains of Terminal C today) for a brand new concourse, it will instead be renamed Concourse D. Definitely an eyesore when every other concourse at LGA was rebuilt from the ground up. See quote below:

"Moving forward, Delta will be able to keep the majority of the gates at existing Terminal D active while constructing the new Concourse F. This allows Delta to close portions of Terminal C-West for an approximately twelve-month period in order to convert it into the new Concourse D, concurrent with the Concourse F construction. Aircraft parking positions would be maintained to support Delta’s operations allowing the construction schedule to be accelerated further. See Attachment A for updated construction schedule drawings. Conversion of the existing Terminal C-West provides an additional benefit to operations as the terminal can remain partially open while construction occurs. In addition, the conversion would reduce the overall construction schedule because there would be no need for new foundations, limited structural improvements, and significantly less airside concrete and asphalt replacement compared to the 2017 design since the larger concourse footprint would displace airside apron that would otherwise need to be constructed. Combined with other acceleration efforts and changes to phasing for the overall East Side Reconfiguration as previously described, the revised Proposed Action would be completed 14 months earlier than the schedule proposed for the 2017 Proposed Action."

So close yet so far from a complete rebuild...

According to the new plan, C West will be overhauled to fit with the rest of the terminal aesthetically, both on the interior and exterior, so it'll at least feel new.

twaconnie

Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:21 am

Let me understand this so now the old terninal C headhouse will not be torn down.If this is true what a mistake to do the job half ass.

AA737-823

Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:36 pm

BoeingG wrote:

It's not much of an expansion.
New T1 replaces old T1, T2, and T3. With a similar number of gates.
T4 lengthening needs to take place as Delta doesn't play well with others.
New T6 replaces old T6 and T7 and connects to T5. With a similar number of gates.
T8 is getting a half-ass extra gate or two so that American's friends can join the OneWorld soiree and tear down existing terminals.

I'd label it "rationalizing."

And, frankly, a lot of JFK is...again...past its prime. While a big part of me would love to see the Worldport and TWA Flight Center operating like they used to, the reality is that those facilities were slammed beyond all reasonable capacity, just as the terminals which are still standing are.
Security in T4 is a nightmare. TSA there runs it pretty efficiently, from my few experiences, but it's still just an absolute hoard of humanity trying to squeeze through.
These projects need to take place.
Plus, fewer, larger terminals will help avoid a repeat of the "Snowmageddon" disaster we saw a couple winters ago, where "you don't even go here" was the mantra as 747s and A380s sat on the ramp waiting for parking at individual fiefdoms.

atlflyer

Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:19 pm

twaconnie wrote:
Let me understand this so now the old terninal C headhouse will not be torn down.If this is true what a mistake to do the job half ass.

If you look at this link, https://www.panynj.gov/content/dam/port ... wr-rod.pdf
It will look just like all the other new concourses. . And it will be 60% larger than what was originally planned.
So not all bad news. I’d rather have a more spacious Concourse.

trueblew

Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:30 pm

twaconnie wrote:

I'm certain they'll use the same buckets to capture rainwater from the leaky roof. What a shame and disgrace, Delta.

RMTAviation

Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:12 pm

Where is the old Terminal C headhouse?

FromCDGtoSYD

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:02 am

so no more dual taxiways

NJFlyer27

Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:03 pm

atlflyer wrote:
twaconnie wrote:

If you look at this link, https://www.panynj.gov/content/dam/port ... wr-rod.pdf
It will look just like all the other new concourses. . And it will be 60% larger than what was originally planned.
So not all bad news. I’d rather have a more spacious Concourse.

From what I read here and gathered, it appears they will keep concourse C, rename concourse D and update the terminal to match the look and feel of the new terminal C.

I didn’t noticed anything about keeping the old head house.

jplatts

Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:34 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
I think it's funny that UA is the only US3 airline that can support NYC-TYO.

DL might be able to make JFK-HND nonstop service work if enough demand is there as
(a) DL would have some connecting feed from BGR/BOS/BTV/PWM New England in addition to NYC-HND O&D if JFK-HND nonstop service is added by DL,
(b) DL has a significant FF base in the Northeast (especially in NYC/BOS) to support JFK-HND nonstop service on DL, and
(c) DL has corporate contracts with some companies in the NYC and Boston metro areas that have some business travel to Tokyo.

There is less of a need for AA to serve TYO nonstop from JFK on its own metal with AA's partner JL already serving both HND and NRT nonstop from JFK.

UA has NH's FF base in Japan in addition to its FF base in the U.S. to support EWR-HND/NRT nonstop service on UA metal, and there are also some Japanese companies that have offices on the New Jersey side of the NYC metro area to support UA EWR-HND/NRT nonstop service.

tlecam

Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:49 pm

jplatts wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

DL might be able to make JFK-HND nonstop service work if enough demand is there as
(a) DL would have some connecting feed from BGR/BOS/BTV/PWM New England in addition to NYC-HND O&D if JFK-HND nonstop service is added by DL,
(b) DL has a significant FF base in the Northeast (especially in NYC/BOS) to support JFK-HND nonstop service on DL, and
(c) DL has corporate contracts with some companies in the NYC and Boston metro areas that have some business travel to Tokyo.

There is less of a need for AA to serve TYO nonstop from JFK on its own metal with AA's partner JL already serving both HND and NRT nonstop from JFK.

UA has NH's FF base in Japan in addition to its FF base in the U.S. to support EWR-HND/NRT nonstop service on UA metal, and there are also some Japanese companies that have offices on the New Jersey side of the NYC metro area to support UA EWR-HND/NRT nonstop service.

I agree, but would add “and the slot times at HND are reasonable”. Personally, I think it’s a little embarrassing that DL doesn’t have a flight from JFK. Not that I think hey should fly vanity routes, but that they can’t win enough of the Tokyo traffic.

I wonder how much peels off to KE via Seoul vs. how much goes to UA/JAL/ANA. UA through EWR.

TWA772LR

Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:36 pm

tlecam wrote:
jplatts wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

I agree, but would add “and the slot times at HND are reasonable”. Personally, I think it’s a little embarrassing that DL doesn’t have a flight from JFK. Not that I think hey should fly vanity routes, but that they can’t win enough of the Tokyo traffic.

I wonder how much peels off to KE via Seoul vs. how much goes to UA/JAL/ANA. UA through EWR.

I wouldn't call JFK-TYO a vanity route for DL. Even moreso they cut it long before covid.

tlecam

Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:46 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
tlecam wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I wouldn't call JFK-TYO a vanity route for DL. Even moreso they cut it long before covid.

I probably misused the term - I just meant that they shouldn’t fly empty planes if the demand isn’t there. It just surprises me that DL can’t sustain flights to HND and also HKG from JFK. Two of the largest financial centers in the world.

Nola

Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:28 pm

BA178 wrote:

Does it really indicate that DL is going with the original, long build? It seems unclear to me. Also, if there isn't an underground walkway between A and B, there are going to be some really long walks (or jitney rides).

BA178

Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:49 pm

Nola wrote:
BA178 wrote:

Does it really indicate that DL is going with the original, long build? It seems unclear to me. Also, if there isn't an underground walkway between A and B, there are going to be some really long walks (or jitney rides).

Yes, the plan seems to outline that they’re building out the full concourse as a second phase, which will presumably begin once the current work is done. The photo I included of the T4 plan depicts the updated proposal, featuring the B gate reconfigurations from the April 2021 revision, as well as the full A expansion. Hopefully those A to B jitney rides will be frequent, otherwise there’ll be some insane connection treks.

Iggy500

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:39 pm

I was checking B6’s schedule for the Summer, and I found out that they will be moving their LGA-BOS shuttle flights to Terminal B on 7/9/22. I’m guessing that Terminal B’s final gates, 15 and 16, will open before B6 consolidates their LGA operations into B.

Nola

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:51 pm

BA178 wrote:
Nola wrote:
BA178 wrote:

Yes, the plan seems to outline that they’re building out the full concourse as a second phase, which will presumably begin once the current work is done. The photo I included of the T4 plan depicts the updated proposal, featuring the B gate reconfigurations from the April 2021 revision, as well as the full A expansion. Hopefully those A to B jitney rides will be frequent, otherwise there’ll be some insane connection treks.

It seems like Delta would have done some kind of press release about additional investment in JFK/New York area and touted the full blown expansion. The photo you included says that the A concourse expansion is unchanged from 2021 plan. I'm guessing that that is the limited plan, not the full plan. I agree that the length of the terminal seems long for the limited plan, though.

Qantas59

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:41 pm

Does anyone recall where the former runway 14-32 at JFK was located? Apparently this STOL runway closed in 1990. Can’t find any specific information on where on the property it was located.

BA178

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Nola wrote:
BA178 wrote:
Nola wrote:

It seems like Delta would have done some kind of press release about additional investment in JFK/New York area and touted the full blown expansion. The photo you included says that the A concourse expansion is unchanged from 2021 plan. I'm guessing that that is the limited plan, not the full plan. I agree that the length of the terminal seems long for the limited plan, though.

It actually says it’s unchanged from the 2020 plan, which was the full plan.

Moose135

Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:44 pm

Qantas59 wrote:
Does anyone recall where the former runway 14-32 at JFK was located? Apparently this STOL runway closed in 1990. Can’t find any specific information on where on the property it was located.

I found this old airport diagram showing it - off the approach end of 22 L/R:

Direct link: https://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u31 ... age231.jpg

Qantas59

Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:15 pm

Thanks for posting this.

STT757

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:03 am

New drone video of new Terminal A at EWR.

https://youtu.be/sYxCfkXjuAw

maverick4002

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:09 am

I was on the AirTrain at JFK yesterday going to Howard Beach and when we passed by T5 I noticed what looked to be an outdoor garden / patio in the terminal? Is that what I saw. It was part of the terminal (not the hotel) and looked to be under the walkway from the airtrain that takes you to the terminal. It was also closer to the end that they will be expanding. Am I correct with what I saw?

Ezra

Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:21 am

maverick4002 wrote:
I was on the AirTrain at JFK yesterday going to Howard Beach and when we passed by T5 I noticed what looked to be an outdoor garden / patio in the terminal? Is that what I saw. It was part of the terminal (not the hotel) and looked to be under the walkway from the airtrain that takes you to the terminal. It was also closer to the end that they will be expanding. Am I correct with what I saw?

Yup! It's JetBlue's rooftop garden, with entrance near gate 28. It's a really nice place to spend some time while waiting for a flight!

BA178

Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:13 pm

Was at JFK yesterday and the T1 garage/T2 Airtrain station are being surrounded with construction fencing decorated with renderings of the new T1, similar to what they had at LGA. On the JFK website, there's an advisory saying that the area is meant to close on/around July 6th. Looks like construction really is getting underway!

phatfarmlines

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:00 am

Was at DL new headhouse at LGA today. So F9 is indeed operating out of the DL gates with its counter at the east end along with WS. Is there a transition time for F9 to move to Terminal B?

evank516

Sun Jul 03, 2022 12:48 am

And AA is pulling the plug on ISP. Sad to see ISP lose their only remaining legacy carrier.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 683884001/

AmericanAir88

Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:04 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
Was at DL new headhouse at LGA today. So F9 is indeed operating out of the DL gates with its counter at the east end along with WS. Is there a transition time for F9 to move to Terminal B?

F9 could also move to the MAT. Depends on how things look with NK. Id much rather prefer F9 take a gate out of Terminal B than cram into the MAT with full NK ops and B6 Boston flights.

Would kind of be funny to see the three airlines at the MAT given the current situation with all of them, but lets hope F9 goes to B.

Update: I just saw B6 is moving to Terminal B completely. That increases the chance F9 moves go the MAT, considering the airline only needs 1-2 gates

twaconnie

Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:30 pm

Plenty of room at the MAT 6 gates and 4 widebody capable,NK has only 12 or so depaturse per day.When DL & PA ran shuttle from MAT it was 32+ departures per day.

N62NA

Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:15 pm

twaconnie wrote:
Plenty of room at the MAT 6 gates and 4 widebody capable

4 widebody capable gates at the MAT? I wonder why they ever put them THERE.

twaconnie

Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:06 pm

N62NA wrote:
twaconnie wrote:
Plenty of room at the MAT 6 gates and 4 widebody capable

4 widebody capable gates at the MAT? I wonder why they ever put them THERE.

When PA started the air shuttle in 1986 they wanted to use A300's on the Boston run,so the need for widebody gates..

hohd

Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:47 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/07/06/us-shif ... ewark.html

Spirit has obtained 16 desirable timings slots at Newark. Alaska which requested 4, did not get any.

evank516

Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:28 am

What’s with JFK-MSP being on CR9s? That was mainline until last spring.

EWRreppin

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:01 am

Re: EWR

Seems the plan for an Amazon cargo hub at Newark has been scrapped...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/07/business/economy/amazon-newark-airport-new-jersey.html?smid=url-share

https://news.yahoo.com/newark-airport-deal-432m-amazon-191017144.html

Can't say I had much of an opinion or reaction about it either way except I'm sure Amazon (and EWR) will be fine.

Runway765

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 am

So is the LGA rebuild finished? I can’t quite tell

BoeingG

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:28 am

Runway765 wrote:
So is the LGA rebuild finished? I can’t quite tell

No. Construction is ongoing.

Trk1

Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:22 am

When will the new terminal at Newark open. It was announced to open spring 2022. Why the delay when it was a big announcement fall 2021.

STT757

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:08 pm

EWRreppin wrote:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/07/business/economy/amazon-newark-airport-new-jersey.html?smid=url-share

Can't say I had much of an opinion or reaction about it either way except I'm sure Amazon (and EWR) will be fine.

Stupid, the same folks that cancelled Amazon's HQ2 deal for NYC, and Unionized distribution warehouse on Staten Island have struck again. What the heck do they accomplish by destroying jobs?

STT757

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:11 pm

Trk1 wrote:
When will the new terminal at Newark open. It was announced to open spring 2022. Why the delay when it was a big announcement fall 2021.

The Fall, much of the terminal seems to be completed. They're mostly working on the roof, the front roadway waiting areas and the ticketing areas. You can watch on the Earthcams.

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/earthcam/

leader1

Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:43 pm

STT757 wrote:
EWRreppin wrote:

Stupid, the same folks that cancelled Amazon's HQ2 deal for NYC, and Unionized distribution warehouse on Staten Island have struck again. What the heck do they accomplish by destroying jobs?

Yup. How are they going to replace the jobs this could have generated? Incredibly stupid with no plan.

maverick4002

Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:12 pm

STT757 wrote:
EWRreppin wrote:

Idk much about this Newark deal, but the HQ2 deal was bad. Amazon did not need all those concessions to come here.

AmericanAir88

Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:06 pm

Jetblue moves all of its operations to Terminal B at LGA.

I assume F9 will move to the MAT soon considering Delta has completed sections of Terminal C.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos