Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

william

Re: NYC (JFK/EWR/LGA/SWF/HPN/ISP) Aviation Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:14 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Is there a blueprint floating around of what the new DL headhouse layout will look like at LGA? I found an article that mentions that DL, WS, and F9 will use the new facilities.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tour-of ... rminals-35

If it will looks anything like Terminal B it will be a success. Stunning how Terminal B has changed La Guardia's reputation.

STT757

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:30 pm

Latest aerial image of the new Newark Terminal A taken yesterday, January 18, 2022. The A-1 Banjo's days are looking numbered. The A-1 and A-2 concourses at the existing A need to be removed in order to finish the ramp for the North/East side of the new terminal. As you can also see in the photo the enormous new CONRAC garage is looking mostly finished.

blacksoviet

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:41 pm

STT757 wrote:
Latest aerial image of the new Newark Terminal A taken yesterday, January 18, 2022. The A-1 Banjo's days are looking numbered. The A-1 and A-2 concourses at the existing A need to be removed in order to finish the ramp for the North/East side of the new terminal. As you can also see in the photo the enormous new CONRAC garage is looking mostly finished.

Looks like there may be room for an FIS in old Terminal A after Concourse A2 is demolished.

STT757

Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:48 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
STT757 wrote:

Looks like there may be room for an FIS in old Terminal A after Concourse A2 is demolished.

There will be an expansion over the area now covered by the current Terminal A. See page 26,

http://www.tpcparsonsjv.com/assets/docs/terminal-1-presentation.pdf

If there were to be FIS capable gates at the new Terminal A it would be the expansion gates, and the Customs and Border screening would actually be in the new Terminal B which this would connect via a sterile corridor.

Bigant0408

Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:25 pm

Possibility that Play Airlines could start service to SWF in June based on this article

https://midhudsonnews.com/2022/01/25/st ... l-carrier/

If this wound up being false please feel free to delete this post

IFLYUA767

Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:28 am

It looks like British Airways is moving into T8 at JFK effective 12/1/2022. My guess is T7 will probably be torn down sometime in 2023.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/busin ... t-in-2022/

blacksoviet

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:55 am

IFLYUA767 wrote:
It looks like British Airways is moving into T8 at JFK effective 12/1/2022. My guess is T7 will probably be torn down sometime in 2023.

Unlikely. Terminal 7 cannot be torn down until the first half of T6 is built. Where do you expect Ukraine Air International, Alaska and United to go? Terminal 8 is for Iberia and British Airways only.

jbs2886

Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:58 am

blacksoviet wrote:
IFLYUA767 wrote:

Unlikely. Terminal 7 cannot be torn down until the first half of T6 is built. Where do you expect Ukraine Air International, Alaska and United to go? Terminal 8 is for Iberia and British Airways only.

None of of those three airlines has a significant JFK operation. Moreover, Alaska can fit at T8, with its partner, AA. UIA and UA can certainly fit in elsewhere with there handful of daily flights, combined. You don't need to build half of a terminal for those operations.

blacksoviet

Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:03 am

Is the LaGuardia CTB still open for passengers accessing the West Concourse?

rj1385

Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:06 am

Bigant0408 wrote:
Possibility that Play Airlines could start service to SWF in June based on this article

https://midhudsonnews.com/2022/01/25/st ... l-carrier/

If this wound up being false please feel free to delete this post

Daily flights start June 9th.
https://www.flyplay.com/plays-new-low-cost-route-between-europe-and-new-york

ojjunior

Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:45 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
IFLYUA767 wrote:

What? AFAIK JFKs T8 is pretty much all of AA.

asuflyer

Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:11 pm

On February 1st Swiss and TAP and moved to Terminal 1.

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:14 am

asuflyer wrote:
On February 1st Swiss and TAP and moved to Terminal 1.

TAP wasnt planned from what I hear.

United787

Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:38 am

jfklganyc wrote:
I know it opened during the pandemic but if you haven’t gotten a chance to see the new LaGuardia terminal… It’s something not out of this country.

Reminds me of airport to see in Asia.

Absolutely spectacular on every level.

Nothing even close to it in the New York area

I had a chance to see LGA in December arriving on UA into the eastern concourse. I was blown away, Terminal B is stunning! Congratulations to NYC, you deserve a first class airport.

I am shocked that no one on this thread has mentioned that Terminal B is officially substantially complete.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/lagu ... index.html

When is the redevelopment of Terminal C/D scheduled to be completed?

jfklganyc

Fri Feb 04, 2022 12:50 pm

Of note, the new fountain in Terminal B is already broken and walled off!

You can taken the CTB out of LGA; but you cant take LGA out of the new CTB hahahaha

tinpusher007

Fri Feb 04, 2022 1:49 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Is there a blueprint floating around of what the new DL headhouse layout will look like at LGA? I found an article that mentions that DL, WS, and F9 will use the new facilities.

I know the article says otherwise but I dont think we will have F9 in our terminal once it is complete. I think this article was written before B6 decided to move all but its BOS flights to Terminal B with AA. Thus F9 will probably go to the MAT. It should be just us and WS; I cant see us giving up a gate to another carrier that isnt a partner.

blacksoviet

Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:21 pm

They head a big press conference announcing the Terminal B completion even though half of the gates on the Western Concourse have not opened yet because the old headhouse is still in the way.

dylan345

Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:29 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
They head a big press conference announcing the Terminal B completion even though half of the gates on the Western Concourse have not opened yet because the old headhouse is still in the way.

I think the purpose of the press conference was more that passengers will never have to walk through the old LaGuardia again now that D has been closed and the western bridge is open.

N649DL

Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:51 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I'm still a big believer that the old "A" gates will hang around for B6's expansion purposes out of EWR. Or, PANYNJ could get creative and keep the head house and build gates closer and/or attached to the building between A-1, A-2, A-3 and knock down the satellites. The 1970s satellites are just a poor design in general, but the building itself is fully functional. Suppose you kept the head house in place and run gates attached to the length of the building, and knock down A-1, A-2, A-3. I wonder, how many could you squeeze in there?

blacksoviet

Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:31 pm

dylan345 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

I think the purpose of the press conference was more that passengers will never have to walk through the old LaGuardia again now that D has been closed and the western bridge is open.

Do passengers still have the option of walking through the old terminal if they refuse to use the western bridge?

jetblastdubai

Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:13 am

N649DL wrote:

I'm still a big believer that the old "A" gates will hang around for B6's expansion purposes out of EWR.

With no additional runway capacity, no meaningful airspace capacity increases possible and EWR already with some of the worst delay issues in the country, how much can anyone, including B6, expand without totally gridlocking the airport?

blacksoviet

Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:19 am

tinpusher007 wrote:
phatfarmlines wrote:

I know the article says otherwise but I dont think we will have F9 in our terminal once it is complete. I think this article was written before B6 decided to move all but its BOS flights to Terminal B with AA. Thus F9 will probably go to the MAT. It should be just us and WS; I cant see us giving up a gate to another carrier that isnt a partner.

Why does JetBlue want flights to Boston to only depart from Terminal A?

N649DL

Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:09 am

jetblastdubai wrote:
N649DL wrote:

I'm still a big believer that the old "A" gates will hang around for B6's expansion purposes out of EWR.

With no additional runway capacity, no meaningful airspace capacity increases possible and EWR already with some of the worst delay issues in the country, how much can anyone, including B6, expand without totally gridlocking the airport?

Gates are gates. The new Terminal A is common use anyway. B6 is going to have over 100 flights daily out of EWR when they open it, and like it or not, they're going to need space. If F9 is leaving EWR (news to me) it still doesn't matter. I could entirely see UA "gate squatting" out of the new Terminal to prevent competition. NK also seems to be expanding EWR as well. I don't see the purpose in wiping out a perfectly usable (albeit old) terminal when it can be used. It has nothing to do with runway space as UAs traffic is down anyway with Covid right now.

blacksoviet

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:18 am

Is the plan for Concourse A2 to be demolished and Concourse A3 to stay?

STT757

Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:11 pm

All the current Terminal A concourses are going to be demolished, they’re blocking the ramp for the new terminal. The head house of the current terminal will not be demolished until the new Airtrain is completed.

jfklganyc

Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:50 pm

Where did this rumor come from?

Only place I have ever read it is on a.net

It is ridiculous and inaccurate.

Terminal A is gone: short term and long term

And not a minute too soon

STT757

Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:15 pm

The video at the bottom of this page has information about the demolition of the existing Terminal A concourses, its at the 1:11 mark of the video. The video is from 2016 and outlines the schedule for the new terminal, what stands out the most is that the terminal project is being completed exactly on time based on the timeline from 2016.

https://www.ewrredevelopment.com/video/

BlueBaller

Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:15 pm

N649DL wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Gates are gates. The new Terminal A is common use anyway. B6 is going to have over 100 flights daily out of EWR when they open it, and like it or not, they're going to need space. If F9 is leaving EWR (news to me) it still doesn't matter. I could entirely see UA "gate squatting" out of the new Terminal to prevent competition. NK also seems to be expanding EWR as well. I don't see the purpose in wiping out a perfectly usable (albeit old) terminal when it can be used. It has nothing to do with runway space as UAs traffic is down anyway with Covid right now.

Traffic may be down at the moment but this terminal was planned well before COVID and the removal of the old terminal A - in its entirety - will allow for a more functional Newark Airport that is long overdue, for the years far beyond COVID; one in which somehow integrating old with new probably creates more problems than solves.

Can you imagine the juxtaposition of a terminal built during the Vietnam War hanging alongside the PANYNJ vision for the future? Swans don’t swim in the sewers. There’s zero chance the raggedy bygone era Terminal A hangs around in any capacity.

NJFlyer27

Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:18 pm

N649DL wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:
N649DL wrote:

All Frontier flights will end at Newark later this month.

Reported back in November
https://simpleflying.com/frontier-dulle ... k-end/amp/

N649DL

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:07 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
N649DL wrote:
jetblastdubai wrote:

Traffic may be down at the moment but this terminal was planned well before COVID and the removal of the old terminal A - in its entirety - will allow for a more functional Newark Airport that is long overdue, for the years far beyond COVID; one in which somehow integrating old with new probably creates more problems than solves.

Can you imagine the juxtaposition of a terminal built during the Vietnam War hanging alongside the PANYNJ vision for the future? Swans don’t swim in the sewers. There’s zero chance the raggedy bygone era Terminal A hangs around in any capacity.

The new terminal is just lipstick on a pig. EWR will always be a total mess operationally until they build another runway.

STT757

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:14 pm

N649DL wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
N649DL wrote:

The new terminal is just lipstick on a pig. EWR will always be a total mess operationally until they build another runway.

It didn't stop the Port Authority from replacing the terminals at JFK and LGA, they could use new runways even more than EWR since they're still slot controlled.

BlueBaller

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:21 pm

N649DL wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
N649DL wrote:

Nobody’s arguing that. Everybody is just trying to bring to your attention how completely asinine of an idea it would be to retain the remnants a 50 year old headhouse when a brand new terminal - head and shoulders larger and more efficient than the one it was designed to replace - is being constructed adjacent to its footprint.

blacksoviet

Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:54 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
N649DL wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

Nobody’s arguing that. Everybody is just trying to bring to your attention how completely asinine of an idea it would be to retain the remnants a 50 year old headhouse when a brand new terminal - head and shoulders larger and more efficient than the one it was designed to replace - is being constructed adjacent to its footprint.

It doesn’t matter if the terminal is 50 years old. Concourse A3 is not in the way of the new ramp and should be kept for as long as possible.

STT757

Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:06 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
N649DL wrote:

It doesn’t matter if the terminal is 50 years old. Concourse A3 is not in the way of the new ramp and should be kept for as long as possible.

They’re renewing the Airport, new Terminals, new Airtrain etc.. They’re already planning for the new Terminal B.

blacksoviet

Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:10 pm

STT757 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

They’re renewing the Airport, new Terminals, new Airtrain etc.. They’re already planning for the new Terminal B.

When are they going to release renderings of the new Terminal B?

Work Hard. Fly Right.
Last edited by blacksoviet on Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

STT757

Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:12 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
STT757 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

You mean besides the two they already released, I guess when the project proceeds to the design process.

blacksoviet

Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:14 pm

STT757 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:
STT757 wrote:

You mean besides the two they already released, I guess when the project proceeds to the design process.

I have not seen any renderings of Terminal B on this thread.

STT757

Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:23 pm

blacksoviet wrote:
STT757 wrote:
blacksoviet wrote:

I have not seen any renderings of Terminal B on this thread.

https://pacorpredevblobstorage.blob.core.windows.net/board-documents/uploads/documents/board-meeting-information/board-committee-meeting-presentations/CPEAM_-_EWR_Terminal_2_-_Public_Session.pdf

blacksoviet

Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:18 am

Will Terminal C still be standing in 20 years?

MaRoFu

Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:40 am

blacksoviet wrote:
Will Terminal C still be standing in 20 years?

I think I’ve heard rumors that Terminal C is likely going to also be replaced in the future. According to the new AirTrain briefing book, the new Terminal C station will be connected to the terminal via a relatively lengthy walkway, which has led some to speculate that Terminal C is slated for replacement. No confirmation on this though, so take it with a grain of salt.

varsity

Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:50 pm

Does anybody know when and why the decision was made to change the designation from Terminal 1 to A? It's going to be confusing for the time when both new and old are in use. when I saw it was designated "1" I figured the new B would be "2" etc.

MaRoFu

Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:34 pm

varsity wrote:
Does anybody know when and why the decision was made to change the designation from Terminal 1 to A? It's going to be confusing for the time when both new and old are in use. when I saw it was designated "1" I figured the new B would be "2" etc.

Probably for consistency’s sake. I believe that the old Terminal A will close up the instant the new one (partially) opens.

If anything, it’d be weirder if they had the numerical Terminal 1 lumped in with the alphabetical Terminals B and C.

gdavis003

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:09 pm

Have they announced who the planned tenants for the new Terminal A are? I presume that B6 and AA are moving there from their space in the current Terminal 1. Hopefully, DL is among the planned tenants? B-1 needs to go. I fly out of there quite often on DL, and it is a total disaster. At least, they have a Starbucks and like two restaurants now, but it is tremendously awful and a giant disaster. Problem apparently solved by adding two overly priced restaurants and a few picnic tables.

varsity

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:10 pm

JFK was like that for a while, where there numbers and buildings ID'd by the master leaseholding airline at the same time.

Someone said the whole building was going to come down, but in the presentation referenced, the PM said the head house is expected to stay and be repurposed. It has to stay there as long as the monorail is in operation since it runs through the building. It is also present in all their artwork.

Nicknuzzii

Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:32 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
Have they announced who the planned tenants for the new Terminal A are? I presume that B6 and AA are moving there from their space in the current Terminal 1. Hopefully, DL is among the planned tenants? B-1 needs to go. I fly out of there quite often on DL, and it is a total disaster. At least, they have a Starbucks and like two restaurants now, but it is tremendously awful and a giant disaster. Problem apparently solved by adding two overly priced restaurants and a few picnic tables.

AA, AC, B6, DL, UA

No mention for where AS is going

gdavis003

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:15 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

AA, AC, B6, DL, UA

thanks. Glad to hear that DL will be in there, B-1 is just atrocious. I would think that AS would move in there as well, as their service to EWR is relatively limited. I presume that it’s mostly UAX flights that will operate into the new terminal, similar to the current situation

STT757

Fri Feb 11, 2022 3:37 am

gdavis003 wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
gdavis003 wrote:

AA, AC, B6, DL, UA

thanks. Glad to hear that DL will be in there, B-1 is just atrocious. I would think that AS would move in there as well, as their service to EWR is relatively limited. I presume that it’s mostly UAX flights that will operate into the new terminal, similar to the current situation

United stated they will be flying mainline from the new terminal;

https://airlineweekly.com/2021/05/united-beats-jetblue-into-newark-airports-new-terminal-a-that-opens-in-2022/

jvlmd81

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Azores Airlines in addition to it's PDL flights from JFK this summer it is adding TER_JFK 1X weekly this summer

varsity

Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:40 pm

Drove through EWR the other night, it looks like the Jetways are gone off the A-1 satellite (at least on the former WN side) and there's a new fork in the approach roadway which will take you over to the new frontage roads. It also looks like the tri-color logo that represents the current 1970s terminals is being retired in favor of one with the Statue of Liberty.

Wondering how long it will be before the wrecking ball comes. I suspected there might have been asbestos remediation inside given the age of the building. It's a little frustrating that they don't have a schedule in that presentation.

FlyingSquirrel3

Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:36 am

It looks like demolition of the last section of Terminal B at LGA has begun. According to the Earthcam pics (https://www.laguardiab.com/construction-updates, then scroll to the bottom), they've started removing part of the middle of the remaining structure, along with some of the far end.

The old overhead walkway, originally from the garage but repurposed for access from the new headhouse, still stands, but presumably for not much longer.

The last concourse in use (D) has been demolished, including the last vestiges of that landmark "swiss cheese" control tower. Its footprint is already being graded for new tarmac. There was a report about how some artifacts from the old AA Admirals Club on the upper level of Concourse D were moved to the new club in the West Concourse.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos