Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AC4500

Re: Washington State Aviation Thread - 2022

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:08 pm

1/23/2022: Lots of long delays at SEA due to heavy fog. Inbound flight diversions are mostly to BOI and PDX.

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:21 pm

AC4500 wrote:
1/23/2022: Lots of long delays at SEA due to heavy fog. Inbound flight diversions are mostly to BOI and PDX.

Yeah...I saw earlier this morning the visibility was down to 1/8 mile at SEA. PAE was down to 1/8 mile as well. I think the PNW is going to be fogged in until Wednesday or Thursday.

BoeingGuy

Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:55 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Yeah...I saw earlier this morning the visibility was down to 1/8 mile at SEA. PAE was down to 1/8 mile as well. I think the PNW is going to be fogged in until Wednesday or Thursday.

I live just west of PAE. Visibility is about 100 yards at my house right now.

Chugach

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:15 am

AC4500 wrote:

RDM got a bunch too.

Rhodylee

Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:33 am

It looked like most of the diversions were regional jets but this A350 diverted to Vancouver.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DLH ... /CYVR/KSEA

Prost

Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:33 pm

A video of sterile corridors at the new IAF. Pretty basic, but you get a peek at the end into the arrivals hall. I’m still wondering if you arrive in the A concourse would you be able to go to the bridge for a few moments before you go in to the customs hall?

https://youtu.be/8ZVi0el1f5Q

Overthecascades

Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:32 am

Hello! Saw Hainan HU446 (SEA-PVG) a couple times on plane finder. Are these flights back as scheduled and regular flights? Thanks

Prost

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:02 pm

Some plans for renovating the south satellite at SEA. A hell of an improvement from what it currently is.
https://meetings.portseattle.org/portme ... c_supp.pdf

Western727

Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:35 pm

Prost wrote:
Some plans for renovating the south satellite at SEA. A hell of an improvement from what it currently is.

WOW. Thanks for this. A far cry from the late 80s and early 90s when I'd go to the S satellite as a high school kid to gawk at the heavies.

flyinggoat

Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:54 pm

Prost wrote:

Maybe I’ve been out of the loop a bit, but what’s the deal with the new terminal in those renders? Is that something that is being planned? It sits right where the current fire department, cargo facilities, and Doug Fox parking are located.

Prost

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:04 am

It’s in the masterplan for the airport, but I don’t believe there’s a date assigned to it.

iamlucky13

Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:28 am

Prost wrote:

I like the 1971 vs. 2016 comparison photos there - a single 747 and a DC-6, contrasted against 4x 747's, 4 x A330's, a 767, and a pair of 777's. It really gives you pause to think about enough people fill all those widebodies being in that terminal.

flyinggoat wrote:
Maybe I’ve been out of the loop a bit, but what’s the deal with the new terminal in those renders? Is that something that is being planned? It sits right where the current fire department, cargo facilities, and Doug Fox parking are located.

That is result of the current airport master plan. When the plan was written, completion was targeted for 2027, in order to keep up with travel demand into the mid 2030's, but I believe the time frame has been pushed back a couple years, in part due to the pandemic. They are currently working on a draft environmental assessment. The next stage should include arranging the funding, starting the detailed design, and I presume doing a full Environmental Impact Study.

Several existing functions will have to be relocated to other areas of the field, or nearby off-airport properties when possible. The north cargo ramp gets re-arranged for better use of space and additional cargo space should be built by redeveloping commercial properties south of the tank farm.

The full concept actually includes additional gates on a single-sided concourse that hugs the roadway between the existing D-gates and the north terminal. The rendering in the link leaves out those additional gates, and I think they are part of the post-2034 notional plan.

There is additional information here. If you look for the executive summary link on that page, go to page 25 and 28 for an overview of the planned layout.

https://www.portseattle.org/plans/susta ... -plan-samp

Yeastbeast

Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:09 am

Just saw this post from Dash Air Shuttle on FB. Apologies, I just did a cut n paste:

We’re slowly making progress towards launching service later this Spring. Our goal was to be operational mid-March, but unfortunately, we have run into some supply chain issues with parts and aircraft maintenance that have slowed things down by a few weeks.
While this is certainly frustrating, we are making progress. We officially hired our first pilot (local to the Port Angeles area) and we have made good progress in converting over 22 boxes of paper records to a digital format in our maintenance tracking software system - Flightdocs. This will ultimately help us track aircraft maintenance much more effectively as we launch operations.
Once we have the greenlight to start, we will start with a limited schedule and on-demand charter operations. We plan to publish a schedule with more daily frequencies in early summer.
We also anticipate having aircraft available for on demand charters to accommodate groups of up to nine passengers looking at destinations other than SeaTac.
Update on the Dash name
As said in the past, we had a trademark dispute over the name of the airline. Another airline (maliciously) submitted a trademark request using our name. The U.S. Trademark office rejected their application on grounds that another airline has Dash trademarked for the name of their air cargo operations. While we’re pleased the airline who maliciously squatted on our name did not prevail, the rejection by the Trademark Office does mean we will be coming up with a new name for the airline. While disappointing, we plan to announce a new name later this Spring (as soon as it is approved by the Trademark Office).

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:38 pm

Yeastbeast wrote:
Just saw this post from Dash Air Shuttle on FB. Apologies, I just did a cut n paste:

We’re slowly making progress towards launching service later this Spring. Our goal was to be operational mid-March, but unfortunately, we have run into some supply chain issues with parts and aircraft maintenance that have slowed things down by a few weeks.
While this is certainly frustrating, we are making progress. We officially hired our first pilot (local to the Port Angeles area) and we have made good progress in converting over 22 boxes of paper records to a digital format in our maintenance tracking software system - Flightdocs. This will ultimately help us track aircraft maintenance much more effectively as we launch operations.
Once we have the greenlight to start, we will start with a limited schedule and on-demand charter operations. We plan to publish a schedule with more daily frequencies in early summer.
We also anticipate having aircraft available for on demand charters to accommodate groups of up to nine passengers looking at destinations other than SeaTac.
Update on the Dash name
As said in the past, we had a trademark dispute over the name of the airline. Another airline (maliciously) submitted a trademark request using our name. The U.S. Trademark office rejected their application on grounds that another airline has Dash trademarked for the name of their air cargo operations. While we’re pleased the airline who maliciously squatted on our name did not prevail, the rejection by the Trademark Office does mean we will be coming up with a new name for the airline. While disappointing, we plan to announce a new name later this Spring (as soon as it is approved by the Trademark Office).

I saw that. And that happened after they stuck there "Dash Air Shuttle" bumper-sticker on their 402's. Maybe they'll pick a name that's more regional or Native to the area. I'm looking forward to seeing them open up this Spring!

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:41 pm

I was looking at DL's overseas schedule on their website and noticed that DL doesn't have any of their metal listed for nonstops between SEA and ICN. It seems to all relegate to KE. Anyone have any insight?

DenverTed

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:13 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Prost wrote:

I like the 1971 vs. 2016 comparison photos there - a single 747 and a DC-6, contrasted against 4x 747's, 4 x A330's, a 767, and a pair of 777's. It really gives you pause to think about enough people fill all those widebodies being in that terminal.

flyinggoat wrote:

That is result of the current airport master plan. When the plan was written, completion was targeted for 2027, in order to keep up with travel demand into the mid 2030's, but I believe the time frame has been pushed back a couple years, in part due to the pandemic. They are currently working on a draft environmental assessment. The next stage should include arranging the funding, starting the detailed design, and I presume doing a full Environmental Impact Study.

Several existing functions will have to be relocated to other areas of the field, or nearby off-airport properties when possible. The north cargo ramp gets re-arranged for better use of space and additional cargo space should be built by redeveloping commercial properties south of the tank farm.

The full concept actually includes additional gates on a single-sided concourse that hugs the roadway between the existing D-gates and the north terminal. The rendering in the link leaves out those additional gates, and I think they are part of the post-2034 notional plan.

There is additional information here. If you look for the executive summary link on that page, go to page 25 and 28 for an overview of the planned layout.

Looks like a bridge from North satellite to the new terminal, but it doesn't look tall enough for aircraft to taxi under.

jbs2886

Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:27 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I was looking at DL's overseas schedule on their website and noticed that DL doesn't have any of their metal listed for nonstops between SEA and ICN. It seems to all relegate to KE. Anyone have any insight?

Huh? I see DL flights every month through August. They just aren’t operating daily….

wedgetail737

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:16 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Huh? I see DL flights every month through August. They just aren’t operating daily….

Good! It's just my luck that I looked on the off-days. We probably won't see daily service from either DL or KE until the Korean government lifts the quarantine requirements.

DenverTed

Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:55 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Prost wrote:

flyinggoat wrote:

One possible flaw I see in their plan, is the road capacity for drop off, pick up, and shuttle vans. I think they should seriously consider a automated people mover outside security from the terminal to car rental and parking and a remote personal vehicle drop off and pick up area.

jbs2886

Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:25 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Good! It's just my luck that I looked on the off-days. We probably won't see daily service from either DL or KE until the Korean government lifts the quarantine requirements.

I recommend always running through a week before jumping to conclusions.

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:06 am

jbs2886 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

I recommend always running through a week before jumping to conclusions.

Yessir. I'll try not to be a dumbass again.

d8s

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:48 am

Prost wrote:

All of this is great but they have to fix the usage runway issues. Too many arrivals in the same bank sit on the taxiways for too long to try and cross the active departure runway.

Western727

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:39 pm

d8s wrote:
Prost wrote:

All of this is great but they have to fix the usage runway issues. Too many arrivals in the same bank sit on the taxiways for too long to try and cross the active departure runway.

I wonder if SEA could do something like ATL's taxiway Victor, which takes 26R's arrivals beyond (and somewhat below) the departure end of 26L. I don't see that being possible on the north end of the airport, though, but I bet it could be done on the south end.

DenverTed

Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 pm

Western727 wrote:
d8s wrote:
Prost wrote:

I wonder if SEA could do something like ATL's taxiway Victor, which takes 26R's arrivals beyond (and somewhat below) the departure end of 26L. I don't see that being possible on the north end of the airport, though, but I bet it could be done on the south end.

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/defau ... ummary.pdf page 25 shows some types of loops on both ends.

Western727

Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:32 pm

DenverTed wrote:
Western727 wrote:
d8s wrote:

https://www.portseattle.org/sites/defau ... ummary.pdf page 25 shows some types of loops on both ends.

Thank you for this, DenverTed. I'm surprised at the one on the north end; while much needed, it'll take a lot of earth to fill in which obviously won't be cheap.

iamlucky13

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:00 pm

DenverTed wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
Prost wrote:

flyinggoat wrote:

Looks like a bridge from North satellite to the new terminal, but it doesn't look tall enough for aircraft to taxi under.

Don't take the preliminary rendering as indicating the detailed design. I seriously doubt they'll put in an overhead bridge that would limit which way aircraft can taxi through that area. It might not be A380 tail height, but it doesn't need to be for that area.

DenverTed wrote:
One possible flaw I see in their plan, is the road capacity for drop off, pick up, and shuttle vans. I think they should seriously consider a automated people mover outside security from the terminal to car rental and parking and a remote personal vehicle drop off and pick up area

I don't remember the details on road capacity now, but some of that is helped by the fact that the new terminal creates additional pick-up and drop off space.

Western727 wrote:
Thank you for this, DenverTed. I'm surprised at the one on the north end; while much needed, it'll take a lot of earth to fill in which obviously won't be cheap.

The fill is cheap as dirt! 8-)

More seriously, though: The features in grey are part of the longer term, post-2027 plan. They're not committed to and haven't been evaluated in the same level of detail as the near term improvements, but seem to stand a good chance of happening if growth continues.

It might be in the full SAMP document, rather than the executive summary, but I seem to recall the plan for the end-around taxi-ways is they would be at a lower grade, which in addition to reducing the amount of fill required, helps meet operational clearance requirements...I think. The amount of grading work is then dependent on reasonable aircraft taxi slope limits, rather trying to bring the full airport to level.

d8s

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:10 pm

Western727 wrote:
d8s wrote:
Prost wrote:

My neighbor is a Delta pilot, said the same thing! I think space is the bigest issue.

d8s

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:13 pm

DenverTed wrote:
Western727 wrote:
d8s wrote:

Thanks for the link DenverTed! Why not change departures to the outboard and arrivals to the inboard runway in use? Funny thing is LAX has a set up much like SEA but do not have the delays crossing the depature runway.

wedgetail737

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:19 pm

d8s wrote:
DenverTed wrote:
Western727 wrote:

Thanks for the link DenverTed! Why not change departures to the outboard and arrivals to the inboard runway in use? Funny thing is LAX has a set up much like SEA but do not have the delays crossing the depature runway.

LAX doesn't have delay issues with taxiways and runways that much...it's more the lack of gate space.

d8s

Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:16 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
d8s wrote:
DenverTed wrote:

Thanks for the link DenverTed! Why not change departures to the outboard and arrivals to the inboard runway in use? Funny thing is LdAX has a set up much like SEA but do not have the delays crossing the depature runway.

LAX doesn't have delay issues with taxiways and runways that much...it's more the lack of gate space.

Then why does Sea-Tac have such an issue getting planes across the active T/O runway?

wedgetail737

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:25 am

d8s wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
d8s wrote:

Thanks for the link DenverTed! Why not change departures to the outboard and arrivals to the inboard runway in use? Funny thing is LdAX has a set up much like SEA but do not have the delays crossing the depature runway.

Then why does Sea-Tac have such an issue getting planes across the active T/O runway?

I never thought that SEA had much of a problem getting across the runways...I've only had to wait between runways for a couple of minutes. The only reason why I've had to wait for longer times because the gates were occupied and the area between the runways provide the room to wait.

gmcc

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:34 am

d8s wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
d8s wrote:

Probably mostly due to the three SEA runways being part of the same complex. At LAX the four runways can be treated as two independent non related systems since the terminal area sits between the two.. The north and south complex have separate tower, approach and ground frequencies as well as having offset thresholds.

d8s

Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:07 am

gmcc wrote:
d8s wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Probably mostly due to the three SEA runways being part of the same complex. At LAX the four runways can be treated as two independent non related systems since the terminal area sits between the two.. The north and south complex have separate tower, approach and ground frequencies as well as having offset thresholds.

LAX is almost like two separate airports with the north complex and the south complex but LAX also has 40% more traffic.

rentonview

Tue Feb 15, 2022 7:32 am

d8s wrote:

Runway 16L/34R is 11,901 ft long, whereas 16C/34C is 9,426 and 16R/34L is 8,500. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the required takeoff run for a fully-loaded 77W to DXB, for example, is in the neighborhood or 10,500 ft, correct? More importantly, AS' 737-900s need over 9000 ft. to get aloft, too.

gmcc

Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:52 pm

In Eastern Washington news looks like Spokane is getting ready to start the TREX project this summer. Phase one appears to concentrate on terminal C but the below linked documents also have a couple of renderings of phase two which builds the centeral hall and connects the AB side of the airport to the C side. Seems to have evolved slightly from earlier plans.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... hXpftcGyBA

Yeastbeast

Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:41 pm

Alaska has started 737 service out of PAE: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/alaska ... laH5btvW-I

Wneast

Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:48 pm

gmcc wrote:
In Eastern Washington news looks like Spokane is getting ready to start the TREX project this summer. Phase one appears to concentrate on terminal C but the below linked documents also have a couple of renderings of phase two which builds the centeral hall and connects the AB side of the airport to the C side. Seems to have evolved slightly from earlier plans.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... hXpftcGyBA

It legit looks so good

ER757

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:42 am

The New IAF at SEA is having a "video reveal" presentation Thursday at 07:00 and replay at 16:00 (local times - Pacific Standard time in the US)

Links here:
Details:
https://www.portseattle.org/events/inte ... elebration

presentation:
https://www.pntamedia.com/portofseattle

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:53 am

Yeastbeast wrote:
Alaska has started 737 service out of PAE: https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/alaska ... laH5btvW-I

Yes...to/from PHX. I think 737 to LAS starts this month sometime.

TheZ

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:59 am

This is great news, I am glad to see PAE is warranting some up-gauges. Let's hope for flights to mid-continent hubs like DEN, MSP, DFW, and ORD soon. Any word on which airline is most poised to join AS up there?

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:52 am

TheZ wrote:
This is great news, I am glad to see PAE is warranting some up-gauges. Let's hope for flights to mid-continent hubs like DEN, MSP, DFW, and ORD soon. Any word on which airline is most poised to join AS up there?

Because of AS being a member of OW, I can see ORD and DFW...HOWEVER, AS is still bound by the conditions for purchasing VX. I believe that means AS cannot codeshare with AA at DFW, ORD and some other AA hubs.

jbs2886

Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:55 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:

Because of AS being a member of OW, I can see ORD and DFW...HOWEVER, AS is still bound by the conditions for purchasing VX. I believe that means AS cannot codeshare with AA at DFW, ORD and some other AA hubs.

They can codeshare on flights at hubs, just not on flights between hubs.

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 03, 2022 5:21 am

jbs2886 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
TheZ wrote:

They can codeshare on flights at hubs, just not on flights between hubs.

Thanks for the clarification.

airlinepeanuts

Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:50 pm

GEG announcing new service from new airline to serve the market tomorrow 3/10 per press release. Speculation is Westjet to Calgary. Thoughts?

Wneast

Wed Mar 09, 2022 10:56 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:
GEG announcing new service from new airline to serve the market tomorrow 3/10 per press release. Speculation is Westjet to Calgary. Thoughts?

Or avelo wouldn’t surprise me because it was said one new route unless the news is wrong ? And westjet is two routes

BoeingGuy

Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:42 pm

airlinepeanuts wrote:

Good guess. It was in the media a few months ago.

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local-ne ... m-spokane/

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:40 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
airlinepeanuts wrote:

Good guess. It was in the media a few months ago.

https://www.spokanejournal.com/local-ne ... m-spokane/

Yes, PASCO will be flying for Westjet supposedly from both YVR and YYC.

IceCream

Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:22 am

Turned out to be Avelo. Westjet will still take a few more months most likely. At this point I would estimate a start time sometime in early fall. I've been hearing rumours about Westjet expanding into small US cities under Pasco for a few years now. The DOT application on top of that makes me think YVR/YYC-GEG is imminent.

iamlucky13

Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:24 pm

TheZ wrote:

I haven't been following the crew situation closely. Have shortages been leading to more regional pilots being promoted to mainline to keep the latter schedules up, and to retain pilots?

Clearly Alaska put the 737's on the most productive routes out of PAE, but I'm actually curious if there were other factors contributing to the upgauging decision, too.

ER757

Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:15 pm

Update on the opening dates for the new IAF at SEA.
"Soft" opening: April 19th
Fully operational: May 10th
Going to take part in the simulation on April 9th if my partner can get her act together early enough. Starts at 08:00 and she is not a morning person :lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos