Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fun2fly

Re: Cleveland Aviation Thread - 2022

Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:56 pm

ncflyer wrote:
It's really a route with a lot of potential for MX.
1) WN isn't so cheap anymore (though obviously they have the muscle to fight back on fare if they need to)
2) If memory serves WN doesn't have the capacity they used to on the CLE route. I believe they used to have 2-3 flights per day depending on the seasoin, now it's 1-2.
3) Nashville is rapidly turning in to Vegas east-- it has gotten so insanely crowded with tourists. Was just there myself and I couldn't believe how expensive my WN ticket was and how overcrowded the city was. Never seen more construction cranes in my life.
4) The rubber industry now has tentacles in both Akron and Cleveland.

A couple of interesting points:

1) Just took WN to BNA and MX home. WN $250o/w, $180 MX 'nicest" (and a much better experience).
2) Yes, way down at CLE.
3) Yes, I counted 12 tall buildings with cranes in just the city center including a Ritz Carlton (and residences) and a Four Seasons (and residences) so there's tourist $$ and residents also.
4) Correct, Bridgestone's newer R&D building is in Akron (HQ in BNA), but without daily service at good travel times for business folks, it's probably not an option and those people are probably still on WN. For example, Monday WN was 8AM or so and MX at 12:25PM. You get a half a day's work in with WN, have two flight choices daily and someone to help get you home with IRROPS. MX not there yet on the business side.

Manderson12

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:29 pm

LifetimeGS wrote:
50-60% LF at today's fuel costs won't cut it.

CAK to LAS will be the only NS first class service from NEO. Hoping UA returns...

If F9 NK merger happens I doubt they return to CAK.

For Breeze with starting prices at 49 dollars each way but averaging out at over 150 dollars each way you can believe they are still making money with 55 to 60% LF and rising. MX somewhat reminds you of Airtran, but it remains to be seen if they will be as successful. Once you fly on MX aircraft though it is difficult to beat, i agree the merger of Spirit with either F9 or B6 especially may not bold well for CAK, but again that opens more doors for MX.

avtcle

Thu Jun 09, 2022 2:50 pm

Alaska Airlines starts service to CLE one week from today!

russyyz

Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:31 pm

For those talking about Europe flights to/from CLE don't forget the option to connect in Toronto using Air Canada. it's a really good option and price was often matched to the JFK/DTW/EWR connection options. Plus it's an easy connection in most cases.

joeman

Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:35 pm

avtcle wrote:
Alaska Airlines starts service to CLE one week from today!

Looking forward to a new addition that's actually likely to stick around.

masseybrown

Thu Jun 09, 2022 4:47 pm

CLE traffic is *almost* back to normal.in terms of pax and ASMs. Look at the drop in flights, though - all tthose 50-seaters now gone.

DOT Data, (the airport's data is higher because of including charters, private, and government flights):

Month of March 2019 2020 2021 2022

Emplanements 411.5K 187.4K 239.8K 383.2K

ASMs 384.6MM 344.3MM 245.9MM 371.5MM

Flights 4420 3807 2349 3509

Sorry for the formatting, I need to learn how to post spreadsheets.

ncflyer

Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:06 pm

russyyz wrote:
For those talking about Europe flights to/from CLE don't forget the option to connect in Toronto using Air Canada. it's a really good option and price was often matched to the JFK/DTW/EWR connection options. Plus it's an easy connection in most cases.

Only problem is observationally AC has a high cancel rate on the YYZ CLE flights and always has. Historically I have found AC very attractive on price, maybe a little less so post covid. Know many people who drive to YYZ for instance Cleveland has big Polish community and can take LOT right in to Warsaw.

Massey thanks for the data-- also observationally it feels like loads are very high right now, I mean if you play around on the United app, good luck seeing a flight that is less than 90-95% full, maybe a turn or two to EWR will be a little empty but that's it. Will be interesting to see how loads come out once the summer is over.

fun2fly

Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:05 pm

ncflyer wrote:
russyyz wrote:

Massey thanks for the data-- also observationally it feels like loads are very high right now, I mean if you play around on the United app, good luck seeing a flight that is less than 90-95% full, maybe a turn or two to EWR will be a little empty but that's it. Will be interesting to see how loads come out once the summer is over.

One big difference for me is the predominance of the leisure traveler vs. the business traveler. Strollers, carry on bags with Snoopy on them, TSA (non precheck/clear) are queueing out into the concourses, aimless people going the wrong direction, stopping in the middle of the concourse. Of course, that spills over into the parking being overloaded also.

The TSA pre and Clear lines have been empty my last few trips.

What CLE is not setup for is the O&D/Leisure folks and the new terminal, if ever built, needs to be able to flex for either scenario hopefully ending up with a healthy mix going forward.

avtcle

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:18 pm

The Alaska Airlines self service kiosks have started to arrive to their ticket counter. Still no indication of which gate they’re planning to use, though.

Midwestindy

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:47 am

Brett Catlin, vice president for network and alliances for Alaska Airlines, said ticket sales for the carrier’s new Cleveland-to-Seattle flights “are outpacing our expectations.”

Ticket sales from Cleveland, according to Catlin, are similar to other, more mature Midwest markets, including Columbus, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, cities with already established service from Alaska. Usually it takes a year or more to build up support for a new airline, he said.

High demand is also evident in the high fares on the route -- “stronger out of Cleveland than other Midwest markets,” said Catlin.
https://www.cleveland.com/travel/2022/0 ... -week.html

fun2fly

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:43 pm

Breeze CAK>LAS in Oct: $352 nice (coach), $724 nicer (E+), $744 nicest (first). A220

Alaska CLE>SEA in Oct: $468 coach and $988 first. (no redeye!) B739

Both should do well with those fares.

ncflyer

Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:58 pm

Hate to by cynical but I remember similar articles with the launch of PIT and CMH way back when, every market is the best launch ever! Great way to get some free PR. That said thrilled to have the route finally and it is sure a head scratcher what took so long compared to CVG CMH PIT IND, I can't imagine F9s paltry service was the reason. According to article 1/3 of pax are connecting which is more than I would have thought given that the evening departure to SEA misses a lot of connection possibilities particularly to Hawaii.

CLEguy

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:35 pm

avtcle wrote:
The Alaska Airlines self service kiosks have started to arrive to their ticket counter. Still no indication of which gate they’re planning to use, though.

From today's PD story: "The carrier will use gate C4 at Hopkins, in the concourse with United, American and JetBlue; it will use ticket counter space in the center of the terminal, next to Delta Air Lines."

masseybrown

Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:02 pm

CLEguy wrote:
avtcle wrote:

From today's PD story: "The carrier will use gate C4 at Hopkins, in the concourse with United, American and JetBlue; it will use ticket counter space in the center of the terminal, next to Delta Air Lines."

Very nice write up about Alaska. I liked the traffic report in that article. CLE April pax were 750.7K - 91% of pre-Covid on a path to 9 million for the year.

luckyone

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:34 pm

ncflyer wrote:
Hate to by cynical but I remember similar articles with the launch of PIT and CMH way back when, every market is the best launch ever! Great way to get some free PR. That said thrilled to have the route finally and it is sure a head scratcher what took so long compared to CVG CMH PIT IND, I can't imagine F9s paltry service was the reason. According to article 1/3 of pax are connecting which is more than I would have thought given that the evening departure to SEA misses a lot of connection possibilities particularly to Hawaii.

It may miss the Hawaii bank but it still allows for connections to other PNW cities as well as Alaska and connections to California. It’s a late arrival, but UA’s flights to California are very early in the morning. Assuming DEN wasn’t equally convenient I’d be happy to connect in SEA if I didn’t have to wake up before dawn to catch the early flight to SFO or LAX and possibly could get a half days work done.

masseybrown

Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:52 pm

AA is bringing back CLE-PHX on Oct 30. They're showing an A321, but that's probably just to capture reservations. We'll see what they actually fly.

CLEguy

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:04 pm

It looks like Breeze's CAK-BDL will last less than a month, due to "workforce issues." https://www.cleveland.com/business/2022 ... 8-headline

greenair727

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:16 pm

CLEguy wrote:
It looks like Breeze's CAK-BDL will last less than a month, due to "workforce issues." https://www.cleveland.com/business/2022 ... 8-headline

Hartford is hardly a leisure destination. Operating only 2x a week the biggest spenders (business) and largest passenger base (business) would certainly not be taking MX. So, loads were likely very low, so if a route systemwide has to be cut (whether really for crew issues or because its just losing money), it would be this one. 2x/week doesn't make sense, then again that's true of a lot of their decisions.

Trk1

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:19 pm

Let’s see if we can waste any more tax payer money on subsides for this airline. Akron to hartford is a joke if it was not for wasting tax payer money. This airline is what is wrong with crony capitalism. Subsidy for flights to las from Ohio what a disgrace. One of the easiest and cheapest cities to get to from all Ohio.

fun2fly

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:41 pm

greenair727 wrote:
CLEguy wrote:

Hartford is hardly a leisure destination. Operating only 2x a week the biggest spenders (business) and largest passenger base (business) would certainly not be taking MX. So, loads were likely very low, so if a route systemwide has to be cut (whether really for crew issues or because its just losing money), it would be this one. 2x/week doesn't make sense, then again that's true of a lot of their decisions.

Would have been better to beef up another less than daily route vs. launching this nonsensical one.

avtcle

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:51 pm

Trk1 wrote:
Let’s see if we can waste any more tax payer money on subsides for this airline. Akron to hartford is a joke if it was not for wasting tax payer money. This airline is what is wrong with crony capitalism. Subsidy for flights to las from Ohio what a disgrace. One of the easiest and cheapest cities to get to from all Ohio.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Absolutely not where this money should be going. Has practically no economic impact.

Manderson12

Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:54 pm

Obviously Las Vegas was not easy to get to from Akron/Canton/Youngstown, especially with high gas prices, but now it will be. I agree there was little evidence that Hartford would be successful at least in the interim, though i don't know if it was subsidized. Breeze is a mixed bag right now but we will see in the next year. Ohio is not the only state offering incentives to Breeze as airports all over the country are lining up to receive their services especially with 80 A-220 aircrafts on order

Trk1

Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:49 pm

If Breeze wants to order planes that is just fine----but we do not need a subsidy to help this investor. If there is a market fine --if not it can fail.

ncflyer

Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:59 pm

Soooooo frustrating. Every dollar flushed on Breeze service that Ohio already has is a dollar not available to lure TATL to Cleveland or Columbus. Surely the decision makers behind spending this money aren't stupid? There must be either requirements or political pressure to peanut butter the money.

Trk1

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:40 pm

ncflyer is spot on

Manderson12

Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:18 pm

I guess then the question becomes if Cleveland or Columbus is TATL ready then why would they need incentives. I doubt that incentive money alone is the reason for a lack of TATL service , most of the cities receiving TATL service have many international headquarters or business, or great leisure traffic like Orlando, Tampa, Las Vegas etc. Unfortunately Ohio is lacking in both of these categories. I have no problems with other airports like DAY, CAK,TOL, or YNG receiving incentives ,their citizens pay taxes too. I don't believe that CLE or CMH would be short strapped incentive wise if there is an opportunity, but obviously the interest is just not their yet for TATL, hopefully it improves.

masseybrown

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:28 pm

Manderson12 wrote:
Unfortunately Ohio is lacking in both of these categories.

I'm thinking you don't know much a lot about Ohio. ;)

avtcle

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:38 pm

Unfortunately, no carrier would ever establish TATL service to a mid-size US market without some type of incentive/marketing assistance/revenue guarantee. Routes to Europe have a huge economic impact for the communities they serve. Offering an incentive to get the service established is absolutely worth it. The traffic to Europe is certainly there, Ice and WOW proved that. Just about the right carrier offering the right connections. In 2019 51 people per day flew between Cleveland and London alone. That’s more than PIT, IND and CVG which all scored connections to Europe.

joeman

Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 pm

Manderson12 wrote:
I guess then the question becomes if Cleveland or Columbus is TATL ready then why would they need incentives. I doubt that incentive money alone is the reason for a lack of TATL service , most of the cities receiving TATL service have many international headquarters or business, or great leisure traffic like Orlando, Tampa, Las Vegas etc. Unfortunately Ohio is lacking in both of these categories. I have no problems with other airports like DAY, CAK,TOL, or YNG receiving incentives ,their citizens pay taxes too. I don't believe that CLE or CMH would be short strapped incentive wise if there is an opportunity, but obviously the interest is just not their yet for TATL, hopefully it improves.

I totally agree with all the above but when you learn from these forums that the likes of AUS, BNA, PIT, IND, and STL all offered TATL incentives, it seems to me to becoming the norm outside of the most popular business/leisure destinations as you point out and legacy hub strengthening. Ohio, the 7th most populated state with the 5th most fortune 500 companies may have population spread out more amongst the 3 bigger C cities and in between in comparison to a few others, many with more land mass or the largest concentration of population in a larger city(s). That's a great base of potential customers to feed US legacy hub operations from the 6 Ohio cities connected to one or more.

Manderson12

Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 pm

masseybrown wrote:
Manderson12 wrote:
Unfortunately Ohio is lacking in both of these categories.

I'm thinking you don't know much a lot about Ohio. ;)
I know quite a bit about Ohio having been born there and living there for over 40 years. And i know most cities have to use incentives for TATL service, but the airlines have to believe that those cities will be able to sustain the service after the incentive package expires. Proving you can be moderately successful flying to Reykjavík is not the same as warranting a flight to London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, and other European centers nonstop where the competition for service is tremendous. CLE and CMH i believe will have TATL service in the future and i hope they can sustain it.

joeman

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:44 am

I noticed the RDU website listed FI as an operating airline way in advance of their new 2022 737MAX route there. Hoping CLE can update the website to include AS in the near future. They did so in advance of the never begun SY but It took a while when FI and WW came to town, don't remember G4.

fun2fly

Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:24 am

avtcle wrote:
This is interesting — CLE posted on Insta/Facebook that airport leadership met with Ireland’s ambassador to the US. They said “these relationships help our efforts in bringing transatlantic service to CLE”

I’d say that’s a pretty strong signal that we’re still in talks with Aer Lingus. We didn’t get them in 2019 because apparently our business community wasn’t totally sold. Let’s hope they feel differently this time around. A connection to Dublin would be valuable.

Anyone hear anything else?

CLEguy

Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:28 pm

joeman wrote:
I noticed the RDU website listed FI as an operating airline way in advance of their new 2022 737MAX route there. Hoping CLE can update the website to include AS in the near future. They did so in advance of the never begun SY but It took a while when FI and WW came to town, don't remember G4.

It is on their list of airlines and nonstop destinations: https://www.clevelandairport.com/sites/ ... 051622.pdf

Also, it looks like AS will be using Baggage Carrousel #5 (formerly used by Allegiant-it seems quite small for such a relatively large aircraft). Thought they might have used #7 as it's closer to where passengers exit the C concourse.

joeman

Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:11 pm

CLEguy wrote:
joeman wrote:

It is on their list of airlines and nonstop destinations: https://www.clevelandairport.com/sites/ ... 051622.pdf

Also, it looks like AS will be using Baggage Carrousel #5 (formerly used by Allegiant-it seems quite small for such a relatively large aircraft). Thought they might have used #7 as it's closer to where passengers exit the C concourse.

Nice! I was looking in this area: https://www.clevelandairport.com/flight ... n/airlines

CLEguy

Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:04 pm

fun2fly wrote:
avtcle wrote:
This is interesting — CLE posted on Insta/Facebook that airport leadership met with Ireland’s ambassador to the US. They said “these relationships help our efforts in bringing transatlantic service to CLE”

I’d say that’s a pretty strong signal that we’re still in talks with Aer Lingus. We didn’t get them in 2019 because apparently our business community wasn’t totally sold. Let’s hope they feel differently this time around. A connection to Dublin would be valuable.

Anyone hear anything else?

Nothing new, and interestingly enough, I can no longer locate the FB/IG post mentioned above on CLE's social media.

greenair727

Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:05 pm

Manderson12 wrote:
I know quite a bit about Ohio having been born there and living there for over 40 years. And i know most cities have to use incentives for TATL service, but the airlines have to believe that those cities will be able to sustain the service after the incentive package expires. Proving you can be moderately successful flying to Reykjavík is not the same as warranting a flight to London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, and other European centers nonstop where the competition for service is tremendous. CLE and CMH i believe will have TATL service in the future and i hope they can sustain it.

Cleveland--not Columbus--should be the recipient of any state incentive funding for TATL. CLE (air market) has a much bigger economy and population than CMH. The center of gravity is the greater city. Just like when CLE had two icelandic carriers, both were negatively impacted. If there was London service to both CLE and CMH, it may likewise make both routes less profitable than CLE only. Our focus--as a city and a state--should be CLE, not Columbus.

joeman

Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:25 pm

greenair727 wrote:
Manderson12 wrote:

If there was London service to both CLE and CMH, it may likewise make both routes less profitable than CLE only.

I'm kinda thinking the same way on the now established BA PIT-LHR route. Not like we didn't have local advertising for DL's PIT-CDG flight, a little less concerned on the a.net forum(s) alluded to coming IND-LHR service. All involving cash and prizes for the operating airline.

SgtBarone

Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:46 pm

AS 216 is on-time and in the air:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA216

Robert1010

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:11 pm

Looks like UA 2448 SFO-EWR diverting to CLE , that time of year in EWR

greenair727

Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:54 pm

SgtBarone wrote:

Nice touch with the flight number.

avtcle

Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:20 pm

Susan Glaser on top of it as usual. PD article about AS inaugural already out

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2022 ... utType=amp

SgtBarone

Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:14 am

avtcle wrote:
Susan Glaser on top of it as usual. PD article about AS inaugural already out

https://www.cleveland.com/business/2022 ... utType=amp

Great article and pictures. Nice to see the fanfare.

masseybrown

Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:23 pm

greenair727 wrote:
SgtBarone wrote:

Nice touch with the flight number.

The return flight is 330, a nod to folks in Akron.

joeman

Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:30 pm

A warm welcome to AS!!!!

avtcle

Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:56 pm

United has rolled an update through the Nov. sked:

CLE-IAD: 4.0 (1x 738, 2x 737, 1x E175)
CLE-ORD: 5.0 (1x 739, 2x 738, 2x 737)
CLE-EWR: 7.0 (2x 738, 3x 737, 2x E170)
CLE-IAH: 3.0 (1x 738, 2x 737)
CLE-DEN: 3.0 (1x 739, 2x 738)
CLE-MCO: 2.0 (1x 739, 1x 738)
CLE-FLL: 1.0 (1x 738)
CLE-NAS: 0.1 (E175)
CLE-RSW: 1.0 (1x 737)
CLE-LAX: 1.0 (1x 739)
CLE-CUN: 0.1 (739)
CLE-SFO: 1.0 (1x 739)

fun2fly

Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:13 pm

avtcle wrote:

28.2 flights / day with 25 mainline. Too early for the fall additions or not happening? PHX, more FLA, etc.

SgtBarone

Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:29 pm

fun2fly wrote:
avtcle wrote:

28.2 flights / day with 25 mainline. Too early for the fall additions or not happening? PHX, more FLA, etc.

Likely still too early. LAS/PHX weren’t announced until October last year and didn’t start until December.

greenair727

Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:41 pm

avtcle

Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:42 pm

SgtBarone wrote:
fun2fly wrote:
avtcle wrote:

Likely still too early. LAS/PHX weren’t announced until October last year and didn’t start until December.

Indeed. TPA and the additional FLL/RSW adds usually don’t come until August. I imagine that PHX/LAS are to come back this year they would be rolled into the schedule around the same time. They were last minute adds last winter.

ncflyer

Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:00 pm

Taking a friend to UA EWR flight today Sunday Father’s Day . One flight cancelled due to air traffic per the app. I kept playing around in the UA app and note that two flights already cancelled tomorrow Monday and three Tuesday. I found a few other markets with one Tuesday cancel but none with multiple and to state the obvious— no cancels for any UA hubs. I’d assume that the cancels are chosen based on ability to accommodate impacted pax on other flights in cleveland compared to other markets. Or maybe it’s just luck of the draw. Horrible for those connecting to Europe as it’s afternoon flights only.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos