Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

qf789
Topic Author

Houston (IAH/HOU) Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:39 pm

Welcome to the Houston (IAH/HOU) Aviation Thread - 2022. Please continue to add your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456185

LAXdude1023

Re: Houston (IAH/HOU) Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:04 pm

Here is where we were:

https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/virg ... nited.html

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kaeliconfo ... 19f34cfcb8

Its an article that UA is looking at IAH-MEL. Im honestly skeptical, though Im sure IAH-SYD will be back for sure.

jplatts

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:44 pm

WN is going to be dropping HOU-CVG/DTW/MKE/MSP nonstop service on 6/3/2022, and WN will be reducing HOU-GSP nonstop service to Saturday-only starting on 6/4/2022.

IAH-CVG/MKE will be losing nonstop competition with WN dropping HOU-CVG/MKE nonstop service in June 2022, but both CVG and MKE will have daily nonstop service out of IAH on UA in Summer 2022.

There will still be nonstop competition on IAH-DTW/MSP after WN discontinues HOU-DTW/MSP nonstop service with both DL and UA still operating IAH-DTW/MSP nonstop service, NK still operating IAH-DTW nonstop service, and SY still operating IAH-MSP nonstop service.

Enough demand was likely there for daily HOU-CVG/DTW/GSP/MKE nonstop service in Summer 2022 with the load factors that WN was getting on these routes in June 2021 and July 2021, but WN is likely dropping HOU-CVG/DTW/MKE nonstop service and reducing HOU-GSP nonstop service to Saturday-only due to the fleet shortages that WN is facing due to the delays in getting the 737 MAX 7 into service.

ZK-NBT

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:20 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
Here is where we were:

Its an article that UA is looking at IAH-MEL. Im honestly skeptical, though Im sure IAH-SYD will be back for sure.

The Forbes article actually says relaunch flights between IAH-MEL, it’s pretty clear imo that both are poorly written and edited or well could be just a typo.

What would be the thing that would make UA launch a route in the middle of a pandemic like IAH-MEL an ULH route with little local traffic in itself, what sort of freight is there to make it viable?

LAXdude1023

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:50 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Here is where we were:

The Forbes article actually says relaunch flights between IAH-MEL, it’s pretty clear imo that both are poorly written and edited or well could be just a typo.

What would be the thing that would make UA launch a route in the middle of a pandemic like IAH-MEL an ULH route with little local traffic in itself, what sort of freight is there to make it viable?

Oh I don’t think IAH-MEL is a good idea. But several articles have mentioned it specifically. With VA and UA hoping into bed, IAH-SYD should be cemented.

As for the pandemic, aside from some countries like New Zealand, most people seem to be moving on. Given how contagious omicron is, it’s highly unlikely anything will outcompete it and given how mild it is especially among the vaccinated and reinfected, that’s a good thing.

PITFlyer330

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:56 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
Here is where we were:

Oh I don’t think IAH-MEL is a good idea. But several articles have mentioned it specifically. With VA and UA hoping into bed, IAH-SYD should be cemented.

As for the pandemic, aside from some countries like New Zealand, most people seem to be moving on. Given how contagious omicron is, it’s highly unlikely anything will outcompete it and given how mild it is especially among the vaccinated and reinfected, that’s a good thing.

like I said in the 2021 thread those articles are very wrong. They interpret uniteds PR wrong

Read united’s actual PR https://www.united.com/en/us/newsroom/a ... ion-125202

United currently offers daily direct flights from San Francisco and Los Angeles to Sydney, while other services including flights from Houston and direct services to Melbourne are expected to resume later in 2022

LAXdude1023

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:09 pm

PITFlyer330 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

like I said in the 2021 thread those articles are very wrong. They interpret uniteds PR wrong

United currently offers daily direct flights from San Francisco and Los Angeles to Sydney, while other services including flights from Houston and direct services to Melbourne are expected to resume later in 2022

I would agree that IAH-MEL doesn’t make sense. Was just going off the article written.

YoungDon

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:36 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
PITFlyer330 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

I would agree that IAH-MEL doesn’t make sense. Was just going off the article written.

Agreed for the most part... the VA tieup is interesting but there's not much beyond MEL that isn't offered beyond SYD for Houston-originating traffic.

On the other end, MEL-IAH does open up a ton of one-stop connecting options that don't currently exist from MEL. I guess if UA could get the jump on QF starting MEL-DFW it might work, but I can't imagine there being enough traffic for both routes to be successful and I think QF would end up having an easier time on MEL-DFW than UA would on MEL-IAH.

FlyingSicilian

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:48 pm

A lot of Houston business traffic, especially energy and paid biz class, is to Perth; look at all the current corporate flights from IAH to the region also. Mel does not open much for UA IMO but NZ to Auckland and SYD coming back is great coverage (and news).

LAXdude1023

Fri Dec 31, 2021 9:49 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
A lot of Houston business traffic, especially energy and paid biz class, is to Perth; look at all the current corporate flights from IAH to the region also. Mel does not open much for UA IMO but NZ to Auckland and SYD coming back is great coverage (and news).

This is true. PER, not SYD or MEL is the real prize for traffic as far as IAH is concerned. Given that would be plenty available for connections through SYD, not sure MEL would add much.

FlyingSicilian

Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:53 am

Hobby got the Skytrax 5 star award, a first in North America.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/l ... 6408d9854b

bravotango75

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:47 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
Hobby got the Skytrax 5 star award, a first in North America.

https://www.khou.com/amp/article/news/l ... 6408d9854b

Congrats Hobby, I guess. Do the awards really amount to anything anymore

drerx7

Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Thank you bravotango75 :bigthumbsup: Excellent accomplishment!!!

LAXdude1023

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:39 pm

Looking through the UA-IAH schedules in March. Here are a few notables.

Upgrades from Regional to Mainline (at least one flight day): IAH-BDL/RNO/ONT/TUS/OMA/RDU/MSP/MEM/IND/ABQ

Of these, BDL/ONT/RNO/TUS/IND/ABQ represent actually capacity increases. The rest represent a reduction in regional flights and to compensate they add one mainline in place of two regionals.

Also looks like IAH-BZN is going year round.

SumChristianus

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:45 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

Upgrades from Regional to Mainline (at least one flight day): IAH-BDL/RNO/ONT/TUS/OMA/RDU/MSP/MEM/IND/ABQ

Of these, BDL/ONT/RNO/TUS/IND/ABQ represent actually capacity increases. The rest represent a reduction in regional flights and to compensate they add one mainline in place of two regionals.

Some of the numbers of flights look mighty low out of Houston. MSP 2x (running against 4x DL), MEM 3x (AA runs 6x on the similar hub feeder DFW-MEM), OMA 2x, RDU 2x, TUS 3x, ABQ 3x, etc. Even extremely close in AUS (7x) and SAT (6x) seem low for their size. TUL 4x,

I hope UA knows what its doing, because IAH looks pretty trimmed domestically compared to what I'd expect from a hub of its size. UA is especially low into competitor hubs where it seems to be running mostly regional compared to mostly mainline on competitors (PHL and PHX are the only exceptions I've found to this)

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:06 am

SumChristianus wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

Some of the numbers of flights look mighty low out of Houston. MSP 2x (running against 4x DL), MEM 3x (AA runs 6x on the similar hub feeder DFW-MEM), OMA 2x, RDU 2x, TUS 3x, ABQ 3x, etc. Even extremely close in AUS (7x) and SAT (6x) seem low for their size. TUL 4x,

I hope UA knows what its doing, because IAH looks pretty trimmed domestically compared to what I'd expect from a hub of its size. UA is especially low into competitor hubs where it seems to be running mostly regional compared to mostly mainline on competitors (PHL and PHX are the only exceptions I've found to this)

The irony is, other than EWR, IAH has the highest seat count of any hub. What they’re doing is adding mainline at lower frequency to compensate for reducing express flying.

DEN is actually the hub where the highest proportion of UA flights are single class regional jets and it’s the most profitable hub at the moment.

SumChristianus

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:16 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

The irony is, other than EWR, IAH has the highest seat count of any hub. What they’re doing is adding mainline at lower frequency to compensate for reducing express flying.

DEN is actually the hub where the highest proportion of UA flights are single class regional jets and it’s the most profitable hub at the moment.

I just wonder where all that capacity is going. Internationally? Or longer...ish domestic?

LAXdude1023

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:12 am

SumChristianus wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
SumChristianus wrote:

I just wonder where all that capacity is going. Internationally? Or longer...ish domestic?

Whats happening is that a lot of markets that have 3x E75 capacity are changing to 1x E75 and 1 mainline capacity. This can be seen in markets like IAH-MSP/RDU/OMA. So capacity is maintaining but frequency is decreasing.

IAH-Latin America capacity has stayed the course and in some cases increased.

RTWin10

Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:30 am

[Mods - please delete]

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:12 am

Interesting tidbit on an article from Simple Flying (I know...). Most of the connecting pax on UAs SIN-SFO flight are going to Houston. This does explain why SQ flies SIN-MAN-IAH, formerly SIN-DME-IAH. I wonder how many of those customers are ultimately terminating in PER.

https://simpleflying.com/uniteds-longest-route/amp/

wilcal

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:18 pm

Hobby is announcing a new airline tomorrow. 2 domestic and 1 international route.

https://twitter.com/BillBishopKHOU/stat ... 9510455296

AVENSAB727

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:40 pm

wilcal wrote:
Hobby is announcing a new airline tomorrow. 2 domestic and 1 international route.

https://twitter.com/BillBishopKHOU/stat ... 9510455296

Could be Avelo…

drerx7

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:59 pm

My bets on Avelo too...otherwise...who could it be...Breeze? UA coming back to HOU? F9 or NK starting HOU service?

Wneast

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:05 pm

drerx7 wrote:
My bets on Avelo too...otherwise...who could it be...Breeze? UA coming back to HOU? F9 or NK starting HOU service?

They thing is a heard rumored IAH base coming for NK and they have a pretty good presence at IAH already so that I doubt.

drerx7

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:14 pm

Well, I meant in addition to IAH re: NK. Or SY moving from IAH?

PITFlyer330

Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:45 pm

Its spirit

wilcal

Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:52 am

Just saw it on Twitter that it's frontier.

Launching CUN, MCO, and LAS.

Split operations?

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:06 am

wilcal wrote:

Split operations?

There's another thread saying F9 is looking at HOU-MDW also.

I don't think it's Avelo, they're not ready to take WN head-on IMO. And with G4 in HOU that casts even more doubt.

Wneast

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:09 am

TWA772LR wrote:
wilcal wrote:

Split operations?

There's another thread saying F9 is looking at HOU-MDW also.

I don't think it's Avelo, they're not ready to take WN head-on IMO. And with G4 in HOU that casts even more doubt.

The thread is saying F9 adds MDW and HOU

TWA772LR

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:05 am

Here's big news, FI won the right to do US-Cuba charters. They're starting MCO/MIA/Houston to Havana. I presume IAH but I believe a 757 can make it from HOU to HAV. I wonder how the 757 would cycle between Houston HAV and KEF without existing service to Houston.

IAH-KEF is 100 miles shorter than EWR-TXL for comparison.

https://www.businessinsider.com/iceland ... ack-2022-1

SKCPH

Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:20 am

I think that FI still runs a couple of 767s. They could easily shuttle between KEF and IAH.

hohd

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:14 pm

Is there a possibility of regular Icelandair ops from IAH to KEF. That will be a great addition and good competition to routes in Europe.

wilcal

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:25 pm

I will completely excuse the lackluster Frontier announcement if we get Icelandair

FlyingSicilian

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:07 pm

Icelandair applied for Havana charters . UA had a good thing going with Houston to Havana before the rule changes pulling in Houston o and d plus west of the Mississippi traffic. Interesting move by icelandair

AVENSAB727

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:14 pm

FlyingSicilian wrote:
    Icelandair applied for Havana charters . UA had a good thing going with Houston to Havana before the rule changes pulling in Houston o and d plus west of the Mississippi traffic. Interesting move by icelandair

Just hope this leads to Icelandair becoming a regular scheduled presence at IAH.

bravotango75

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:04 pm

Mystery flight, why IAH or even MIA for that matter when Americans are forbidden to visit Cuba for leisure purposes? They could run a KEF-HAV nonstop with their 767s.

Wneast

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 am

Is there common use INT gates at HOU I thought WN owns all the INT terminal ?

FlyingSicilian

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:47 am

If I recall correctly, one of the five int'l gates is common use.

Wneast

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:52 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
    If I recall correctly, one of the five int'l gates is common use.

I looked it up and that is right

gdavis003

Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:00 am

Remarkable that IAH-BHM is essentially 2x per day these days. That's the lowest it's been throughout the pandemic, I think in March/April 2020 there might have even been more frequencies. Sounds like this is the case for many other regional routes out of IAH. Mesa canceled my IAH-BHM flight today, and I had to route through O'Hare instead from ICT and fly to HSV since the IAH-BHM flight that was canceled was the last flight of the day on the route (leaving IAH at 4:00 PM). They have substantially trimmed the regional schedule out of IAH. Can't believe that the last flight to BHM from IAH was a 4:00 PM, so strange.

Western727

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:20 pm

EK 380 on its way to IAH, due at 4:20p local time. It's a one-off sub due to the 77L being cancelled yesterday owing to the 5G issue. Gate D12A.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAE211

QB504

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm

UA just canceled my IAH - MUC flight. Bummer, was hoping that direct flight was back on the schedule.
    ETA: Looks like they canceled it until March 26 now.

LAXdude1023

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:08 pm

gdavis003 wrote:
    Remarkable that IAH-BHM is essentially 2x per day these days. That's the lowest it's been throughout the pandemic, I think in March/April 2020 there might have even been more frequencies. Sounds like this is the case for many other regional routes out of IAH. Mesa canceled my IAH-BHM flight today, and I had to route through O'Hare instead from ICT and fly to HSV since the IAH-BHM flight that was canceled was the last flight of the day on the route (leaving IAH at 4:00 PM). They have substantially trimmed the regional schedule out of IAH. Can't believe that the last flight to BHM from IAH was a 4:00 PM, so strange.

Its because of regional pilot shortage.

caribbeanSwag

Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:36 am

Good news, looks like both Auckland and Sydney have return dates.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:23 am

caribbeanSwag wrote:

They do?

aircountry

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:14 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
    caribbeanSwag wrote:

They do?

The answer is yes sydney is returning on March 26 and for Auckland will return after March, dont know what date.

ZK-NBT

Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:24 am

aircountry wrote:
    ZK-NBT wrote:
    caribbeanSwag wrote:

They do?

The answer is yes sydney is returning on March 26 and for Auckland will return after March, dont know what date.

I wouldn’t count on SYD returning then. AKL won’t happen until at least September last I heard, depends on when NZ actually opens its borders.

hohd

Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:10 pm

gdavis003 wrote:

It is the same with IAH-IND, CVG and Louisville, both at 2x per day and that too no departures before 12 noon from IAH.

LAXdude1023

Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:25 pm

ZK-NBT wrote:
    aircountry wrote:
    ZK-NBT wrote:

They do?

I wouldn’t count on SYD returning then. AKL won’t happen until at least September last I heard, depends on when NZ actually opens its borders.

SYD will return in the spring though don’t know if March 26 will hold. AKL will depend on New Zealand. They are still on zero Covid and as long as that’s the case, IAH-AKL is a nonstarter.

bravotango75

Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:41 pm

Well, looks like the Kiwis are going to be isolated forever if Jacinda gets her way….good luck on that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos