Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
panam330
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:28 pm

It looks like SYR-BOS got the whack as well, in favor of reinstating the third SYR-JFK frequency on a 320 and SYR-MCO but on a 190, oddly.
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4954
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:35 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's pretty simple what's happening here. They are short on staffing. They are having trouble hiring. They have to cut flights and these transcons take up a lot of block times and don't perform that well. It's pointless operating single daily flights from the to JFK. These long thin transcons tend to do the worst in Winter time. That's why they are getting cut.


You are probably right. I hope the slack in the fleet will help them operate a more reliable network this winter.
 
doulasc
Posts: 944
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:12 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:37 pm

JetBlue seems to be dropping a lot of cities and routes, They pulled out of BWI, dropped their new routes to PHL except to BOS, Pulled out of IAD, no plans on returning yet.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 2155
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:50 pm

tphuang wrote:
It's pretty simple what's happening here. They are short on staffing. They are having trouble hiring. They have to cut flights and these transcons take up a lot of block times and don't perform that well. It's pointless operating single daily flights from the to JFK. These long thin transcons tend to do the worst in Winter time. That's why they are getting cut.

They are cutting these because they are short on staffing but keeping them through summer? So their staffing is going to get worse in the fall? Isn’t this a time period when most airlines fly fewer flights? Consider me skeptical.
 
tphuang
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:54 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
tphuang wrote:
It's pretty simple what's happening here. They are short on staffing. They are having trouble hiring. They have to cut flights and these transcons take up a lot of block times and don't perform that well. It's pointless operating single daily flights from the to JFK. These long thin transcons tend to do the worst in Winter time. That's why they are getting cut.

They are cutting these because they are short on staffing but keeping them through summer? So their staffing is going to get worse in the fall? Isn’t this a time period when most airlines fly fewer flights? Consider me skeptical.


These flights do better in summer time. The long thin transcons are always the worst performers in winter. You are always going to cut routes that perform the worst.

if we look at flightaware from today
https://flightaware.com/live/cancelled/

JetBlue does not appear in cancelled flights list while Delta is cancelling a lot of main line and regional flights. It appears their proactive cancels from 2/3 months out is working out.
 
User avatar
tlecam
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:38 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:10 pm

These seem like seasonal cuts that aren’t that surprising, especially given the pilot shortage, inflation etc…. To tphuang’s point, the 2-3 month rolling cancels also gives them decent insight into advance sales. This seems like a good operational move by B6, which is a somewhat rare topic. What am I missing? Why the negativity around this?
 
User avatar
11725Flyer
Posts: 1482
Joined: Mon May 30, 2016 4:51 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:54 pm

tlecam wrote:
These seem like seasonal cuts that aren’t that surprising, especially given the pilot shortage, inflation etc…. To tphuang’s point, the 2-3 month rolling cancels also gives them decent insight into advance sales. This seems like a good operational move by B6, which is a somewhat rare topic. What am I missing? Why the negativity around this?


There's no "negativity" about anything discussed above.
Last edited by 11725Flyer on Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
hiflyeras
Posts: 2504
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:48 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Summer you’re operating your full schedule and staff vacations are at a minimum. But you still need to allow people to use their vacation time so fall-spring is when (other than the holidays) that the vast majority are taking time off. Unless you’re hiring a lot it’d be impossible to operate the peak schedule year round. If B6 are having staffing issues then you’d have to cut the fall-winter 2022 schedule.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 7448
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:20 am

EWR-SFO & BOS-SYR also temporarily cut

SFO back down to BOS, FLL, JFK, and LAX for a while.

EWR down to AUA, BOS, CUN, FLL, RSW, LAX, MIA, MBJ, MCO, PUJ, SJU, STI, SDQ, & TPA for a while
 
smflyer
Posts: 333
Joined: Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue leaving PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:21 am

Italianflyer wrote:
Interesting.... I could see PDX being seasonal and coming back in the spring given it's O&D nature relative to B6's network. Dropping SJC implies there isn't enough corporate/biz traffic to sustain it into the slow season. If that's the case it's a bad canary in the coal mine when it comes to corporate traffic sustaining ops once the leisure pool dries up in the fall.


Wouldn't really take it as canary in the coal mine in this case. B6 flies most west coast routes as red-eyes and B6 doesn't have as many business fliers to begin with.
 
fastmover
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:48 am

tlecam wrote:
These seem like seasonal cuts that aren’t that surprising, especially given the pilot shortage, inflation etc…. To tphuang’s point, the 2-3 month rolling cancels also gives them decent insight into advance sales. This seems like a good operational move by B6, which is a somewhat rare topic. What am I missing? Why the negativity around this?



Because for some reason B6 is the airline airliner’s.net loves to hate. It’s fascinating.
 
fastmover
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:37 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:49 am

11725Flyer wrote:
tlecam wrote:
These seem like seasonal cuts that aren’t that surprising, especially given the pilot shortage, inflation etc…. To tphuang’s point, the 2-3 month rolling cancels also gives them decent insight into advance sales. This seems like a good operational move by B6, which is a somewhat rare topic. What am I missing? Why the negativity around this?


There's no "negativity" about anything discussed above.



Huh


quote="Flflyer83"]
Italianflyer wrote:
Interesting.... I could see PDX being seasonal and coming back in the spring given it's O&D nature relative to B6's network. Dropping SJC implies there isn't enough corporate/biz traffic to sustain it into the slow season.


They can’t maintain service to these large cities but B6 fanboys swear they can maintain service to all of the smaller cities that NK serves, but at the higher B6 costs…[/quote]
 
FlyingElvii
Posts: 2448
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:21 am

tphuang wrote:
It's pretty simple what's happening here. They are short on staffing. They are having trouble hiring. They have to cut flights and these transcons take up a lot of block times and don't perform that well. It's pointless operating single daily flights from the to JFK. These long thin transcons tend to do the worst in Winter time. That's why they are getting cut.


Right now, the easiest way for a pilot to get a job offer from Delta, is to have a job offer from JetBlue in your hand.
 
acavpics
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 am

Good grief. What is it with their SJC flights just not being able to stick on daily and permanent? It's the heart of Silicon Valley. And they just have 1 flight to both BOS and JFK. And it's not like SJC is slot restricted or anything. I just don't get it.
 
BOS2LAF
Posts: 356
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:21 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:28 am

doulasc wrote:
JetBlue seems to be dropping a lot of cities and routes, They pulled out of BWI, dropped their new routes to PHL except to BOS, Pulled out of IAD, no plans on returning yet.


IAD was closed permanently several years ago. BWI has been a temporary suspension. Reopening was delayed due to the schedule reduction.
 
TYWoolman
Posts: 1402
Joined: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:51 am

Probably natural to do this post-covid, but perhaps B6 needs to show whomever is underwriting their merger bid that they are proactively stemming future loses, as I'm sure B6 is knocking on their door once again!
 
BarrenLucidity
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:29 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:45 am

acavpics wrote:
Good grief. What is it with their SJC flights just not being able to stick on daily and permanent? It's the heart of Silicon Valley. And they just have 1 flight to both BOS and JFK. And it's not like SJC is slot restricted or anything. I just don't get it.


SJC competes with SFO for passengers. They're only 30 min apart. Lots of carriers come and go from SJC to find routes that work.
 
Nicknuzzii
Posts: 2075
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:33 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
EWR-SFO & BOS-SYR also temporarily cut

SFO back down to BOS, FLL, JFK, and LAX for a while.

EWR down to AUA, BOS, CUN, FLL, RSW, LAX, MIA, MBJ, MCO, PUJ, SJU, STI, SDQ, & TPA for a while


Why did they pull down EWR so aggressively? At this point they are way below 2019 levels.
 
USAavdork
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:40 pm

I think part of the problem with SJC is the lack of a decent schedule.
At 1x redeye turn, your missing all the tech traffic that would rather fly a day flight. If B6 had say a 8am or even 12pm SJC-BOS, I think they’d be doing much better in the market.
 
User avatar
Midwestindy
Posts: 7448
Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:56 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:34 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
EWR-SFO & BOS-SYR also temporarily cut

SFO back down to BOS, FLL, JFK, and LAX for a while.

EWR down to AUA, BOS, CUN, FLL, RSW, LAX, MIA, MBJ, MCO, PUJ, SJU, STI, SDQ, & TPA for a while



Image
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ob51h463jgl8k ... .xlsx?dl=0
 
usflyer msp
Posts: 4954
Joined: Tue May 23, 2000 11:50 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:36 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
EWR-SFO & BOS-SYR also temporarily cut

SFO back down to BOS, FLL, JFK, and LAX for a while.

EWR down to AUA, BOS, CUN, FLL, RSW, LAX, MIA, MBJ, MCO, PUJ, SJU, STI, SDQ, & TPA for a while


Why did they pull down EWR so aggressively? At this point they are way below 2019 levels.


Low fares and and an operational nightmare. EWR's congestion meant they were operating too many flights for the gates they have (as there will be IROPS every day in EWR). It is no coincidence that as they have reduced EWR their operational stats have gotten MUCH better.
 
Abeam79
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:10 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
EWR-SFO & BOS-SYR also temporarily cut

SFO back down to BOS, FLL, JFK, and LAX for a while.

EWR down to AUA, BOS, CUN, FLL, RSW, LAX, MIA, MBJ, MCO, PUJ, SJU, STI, SDQ, & TPA for a while


Why did they pull down EWR so aggressively? At this point they are way below 2019 levels.

Ewr gate situation is a mess, they will ramp up ewr, the internal letter states when they get the new gates they can grow it significantly to support the NEA.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:30 pm

USAavdork wrote:
I think part of the problem with SJC is the lack of a decent schedule.
At 1x redeye turn, your missing all the tech traffic that would rather fly a day flight. If B6 had say a 8am or even 12pm SJC-BOS, I think they’d be doing much better in the market.


Chicken and egg. If there was more demand, there'd be a better schedule (and with a better schedule, more demand). OAK has the same problems. SFO starts with the name recognition advantage ("San Francisco") and everything builds on that. It's a virtuous cycle for them, and really difficult for the other airports to overcome, despite other advantages (larger population closer to OAK, business traffic at SJC, fewer delays at both).
 
iflykpdx
Posts: 306
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:42 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:34 pm

It is surprising that SJC can't sustain even one daily NYC flight at this point. Pre-COVID (arguably it was over-served) having DL, AS and B6 down to zero.
 
ANA787
Posts: 1076
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:39 pm

iflykpdx wrote:
It is surprising that SJC can't sustain even one daily NYC flight at this point. Pre-COVID (arguably it was over-served) having DL, AS and B6 down to zero.
Business travel is nonexistent due to remote work/WFH in silicon valley. Meetings are done via teams, skype, etc nowadays. On top of this, when there is a downturn in the economy, the first thing to go is travel expenses. Many companies have cut all travel budgets for the remainder of the year.
 
ucdtim17
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:52 pm

iflykpdx wrote:
It is surprising that SJC can't sustain even one daily NYC flight at this point. Pre-COVID (arguably it was over-served) having DL, AS and B6 down to zero.


They also had UA to EWR recently
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:03 pm

I don't have specific past-schedules to quote but it seems to me that Blue has been on/off with these 3 stations in the past, starting with covid. These 3 western cities seem to be among the first to get trimmed, cut way back, or outright suspended. Haven't all 3 seen service suspensions in the past few years?

Part of the reason, I assume, is the recovery of the stations from covid. I believe all, particularly PDX and SJC, are seeing trimmed service from other cx as well as Blue. The other major factor is Blue and all of their problems with staffing, fuel prices, etc. It must ease some of their issues to simply shut down their poorly performing stations for a while during the slow season.

Let's all hope that 2023 finally sees some unobstructed recovery from the last few years and the airlines can get on with, first, service restoration and maybe even some growth!

bb

PS Mods, perhaps the title of the thread could have the word "Rumor" removed now that we know this is no longer one.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:44 pm

laca773 wrote:
I’m glad they haven’t axed BUR or ONT as they are small stations.


BUR has very high yields for B6 and since Covid they’ve upgauged the flights the the 321 from the 320. I’ve heard there will be a 3rd flight (early morning) added soon.
 
flyfresno
Posts: 1669
Joined: Tue May 02, 2006 6:18 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:50 pm

Wowza, not so surprised by ABQ, but super surprised by SJC/PDX...looks like other airlines are winning in those cities.
 
acavpics
Posts: 689
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:26 pm

BarrenLucidity wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Good grief. What is it with their SJC flights just not being able to stick on daily and permanent? It's the heart of Silicon Valley. And they just have 1 flight to both BOS and JFK. And it's not like SJC is slot restricted or anything. I just don't get it.


SJC competes with SFO for passengers. They're only 30 min apart. Lots of carriers come and go from SJC to find routes that work.


Do most South bay travelers (Santa Clara, and Alameda county) drive to SFo for domestic flights? Just wondering. (I thought Bay area traffic would make that journey rather stressful. Especially for frequent travelers)
 
SurfandSnow
Posts: 1766
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:09 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:45 pm

nine4nine wrote:
laca773 wrote:
I’m glad they haven’t axed BUR or ONT as they are small stations.


BUR has very high yields for B6 and since Covid they’ve upgauged the flights the the 321 from the 320. I’ve heard there will be a 3rd flight (early morning) added soon.


Even though nothing ever seems to work for B6 at BUR other than JFK, it does seem like B6 has found quite a profitable niche with its longstanding transcon service that offers a *very* convenient alternative to LAX-JFK.

Remember, BUR is directly accessible via rail from downtown LA, while LAX's public transit rail link to Union Station is still under construction. For those driving themselves to the airport, parking can be a nightmare to find at LAX - and I've heard horror stories even for those who made advanced reservations. Pax taking rideshares are likely to face significantly higher prices and much heavier traffic to, from, and within LAX vs. BUR as well; never mind the loooooooong walk (or bus ride?) to rideshare pickup at LAX. LAX also tends to suffer from longer lines at check-in and security, as well as much longer taxi times and greater congestion throughout the airport and terminals. It would be interesting to compare the on-time statistics of BUR and LAX. It almost seems like you're far more likely to get delayed or canceled out of LAX, but maybe that's just been my experience over the years...

Savvy Angeleno travelers know how much better BUR is vs. LAX, even if the B6 product itself is better from the latter rather than the former. I suspect almost anyone who might say something like "time is money" could be willing to pay a premium to avoid LAX and fly BUR. Others may simply have such bad experiences at LAX that they would go out of their way to look at alternative airport options in the future.
 
Flflyer83
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:40 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:30 pm

acavpics wrote:
BarrenLucidity wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Good grief. What is it with their SJC flights just not being able to stick on daily and permanent? It's the heart of Silicon Valley. And they just have 1 flight to both BOS and JFK. And it's not like SJC is slot restricted or anything. I just don't get it.


SJC competes with SFO for passengers. They're only 30 min apart. Lots of carriers come and go from SJC to find routes that work.


Do most South bay travelers (Santa Clara, and Alameda county) drive to SFo for domestic flights? Just wondering. (I thought Bay area traffic would make that journey rather stressful. Especially for frequent travelers)


They do not, no. They fly out of SJC which has an abundance of service. It’s just that B6 has zero west coast presence outside of LAX. Almost I all of their intra-west flights were ax’d when LGB failed.
 
User avatar
UPlog
Posts: 1112
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:45 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:44 pm

SurfandSnow wrote:
Remember, BUR is directly accessible via rail from downtown LA, while LAX's public transit rail link to Union Station is still under construction.


LAX has the popular FlyAway bus that runs every 30mins and uses dedicated bus/carpool lanes. And unlike the train you get off right at your terminal.

Taking rail to Burbank means you must then hop on an additional connecting bus as train station is located off the airport.

SurfandSnow wrote:
Savvy Angeleno travelers know how much better BUR is vs. LAX, even if the B6 product itself is better from the latter rather than the former. I suspect almost anyone who might say something like "time is money" could be willing to pay a premium to avoid LAX and fly BUR.


BUR is simply a community airport in one corner of LA basin, and is hardly an option for much of LA basin.

Heck even BUR own documentation as part of its terminal expansion calls its catchment area of barely 3mil out of the 18+mil in the LA basin.

It might be a great little airport, but lets not make it into something more than it is.

SurfandSnow wrote:
It would be interesting to compare the on-time statistics of BUR and LAX. It almost seems like you're far more likely to get delayed or canceled out of LAX, but maybe that's just been my experience over the years...


I am sure someone in the know can help post it, however, I will avoid secondary airports for the fact that when things go wrong, you have fewer recovery options, and I have been burned more than once to show up to find might flight canceled or delayed without much recourse.
 
sfojvjets
Posts: 556
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:00 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:52 pm

acavpics wrote:
BarrenLucidity wrote:
acavpics wrote:
Good grief. What is it with their SJC flights just not being able to stick on daily and permanent? It's the heart of Silicon Valley. And they just have 1 flight to both BOS and JFK. And it's not like SJC is slot restricted or anything. I just don't get it.


SJC competes with SFO for passengers. They're only 30 min apart. Lots of carriers come and go from SJC to find routes that work.


Do most South bay travelers (Santa Clara, and Alameda county) drive to SFo for domestic flights? Just wondering. (I thought Bay area traffic would make that journey rather stressful. Especially for frequent travelers)

As a resident of the Peninsula (northern area of Santa Clara county) who lives 30 mins from SFO and 35 minutes from SJC maybe I can help explain. Generally, traffic would lead people to choose SFO. Northbound traffic is usually minimal as long as you don't take 101. Southbound traffic can be a major issue however, especially as people head home in the afternoon/evening. (People live in the south and the east because it's cheaper and work in the north). Despite traffic playing a role, the bigger factor at hand is an airport ideology issue.

SJC (and OAK) are largely seen as the intra-west coast or simply intra-California hubs. When the flight is longer, the preference generally switches to SFO. For me, if the airport I'm flying into is not in Southern California or Nevada then I won't even consider SJC. SFO becomes the default option largely because of better airport infrastructure. SJC offers quite a seamless experience yet it lacks some of the premium infrastructure that SFO has–for example, it has two crappy third-party lounges. And when its crowded, SJC is horrible since the airport is physically constrained from expanding.

This is why you see tech traffic utilize SFO very readily except for some intra-CA and Nevada flying. If there were options such as Mint in the SJC-East Coast market, I personally think it would do quite well. It just requires a lot more advertising since people don't often consider that an option like Mint would be available at SJC. A testament to this is Lufthansa's SJC service: when it was cancelled, that was the first time many people heard about it even existing.

The bottom line in the "SJC vs SFO battle" is that there are trade offs to each airport that make them more appealing in different situations. In this situation, I believe JetBlue has the wrong product for the route (red eye without the option of flying Mint). Schedules also aren't optimized for business travel. So when people say that "SJC being cancelled means that biz traffic isn't recovering".... well, yes and no. SJC-BOS/JFK has minimal, maybe 0 business traffic because of poor premium infrastructure and no premium inflight offerings. It's entirely sustained on leisure travel. The performance of these routes owe themselves directly to the time of year it is. So in my opinion, it's not a big surprise to see this happening. I would, however, like to see JetBlue try flying Mint in this market when they have enough Mint aircraft availability. I think that could perform well with enough advertisement, and it's the best premium product for the market since it doesn't come with lounge access. Because Mint decreases the route's seasonality by appealing to the less seasonal flying of business travelers, it would give the route some much needed stability.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 948
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:15 pm

UPlog wrote:
SurfandSnow wrote:
Remember, BUR is directly accessible via rail from downtown LA, while LAX's public transit rail link to Union Station is still under construction.


LAX has the popular FlyAway bus that runs every 30mins and uses dedicated bus/carpool lanes. And unlike the train you get off right at your terminal.

Taking rail to Burbank means you must then hop on an additional connecting bus as train station is located off the airport.

SurfandSnow wrote:
Savvy Angeleno travelers know how much better BUR is vs. LAX, even if the B6 product itself is better from the latter rather than the former. I suspect almost anyone who might say something like "time is money" could be willing to pay a premium to avoid LAX and fly BUR.


BUR is simply a community airport in one corner of LA basin, and is hardly an option for much of LA basin.

Heck even BUR own documentation as part of its terminal expansion calls its catchment area of barely 3mil out of the 18+mil in the LA basin.

It might be a great little airport, but lets not make it into something more than it is.

SurfandSnow wrote:
It would be interesting to compare the on-time statistics of BUR and LAX. It almost seems like you're far more likely to get delayed or canceled out of LAX, but maybe that's just been my experience over the years...


I am sure someone in the know can help post it, however, I will avoid secondary airports for the fact that when things go wrong, you have fewer recovery options, and I have been burned more than once to show up to find might flight canceled or delayed without much recourse.



That’s actually incorrect. You don’t take a bus from the rail station at BUR. It’s a 3 minute walk to the terminals from the Amtrak/Metro station. It’s the most convenient means in LA by leaps and bounds. I take it frequently from south OC because BUR flights are typically $300 less than SNA

The flyaway bus sits in the same LA traffic as everyone else. There are no special lanes and anyone who lives here know the carpool lane on the 405 moves the same pace as the other 5 lanes. No matter how nice you make it sound LAX is NOT convenient.
Last edited by nine4nine on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
arfbool
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:02 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:20 pm

nine4nine wrote:
laca773 wrote:
I’m glad they haven’t axed BUR or ONT as they are small stations.


BUR has very high yields for B6 and since Covid they’ve upgauged the flights the the 321 from the 320. I’ve heard there will be a 3rd flight (early morning) added soon.


It seems they've gone down to one flight right now. I thought the Neo would mean the end of the fuel stop but that seems not to be the case. It happened to me last month and the passengers who were initially very patient got increasingly annoyed as we were on the ground in Denver for over 2 hours (including the world's longest taxi to reach the fueling area). When people say they're never going to risk that again, are they serious and should Jetblue be thinking of a way to to avoid these fuel stops or complete them in a reasonable (eg 45 minutes) amount of time?
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 26907
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:25 pm

nine4nine wrote:
BUR has very high yields for B6 and since Covid they’ve upgauged the flights the the 321 from the 320. I’ve heard there will be a 3rd flight (early morning) added soon.


If it's so high yield where is the Mint product? :scratchchin:

I don't have time now to pull the data now, but I can assure you B6 pulls higher yields out of LAX than it does at BUR.

Btw - current schedule per GDS is 1x daily JFK-BUR.

nine4nine wrote:
[
The flyaway bus sits in the same LA traffic as everyone else. There are no special lanes and anyone who lives here know the carpool lane on the 405 moves the same pace as the other 5 lanes. No matter how nice you make it sound LAX is NOT convenient.


Union Station FlyAway uses the bus lane on 110, and carpool on 105. Its fast journey.

nine4nine wrote:
That’s actually incorrect. You don’t take a bus from the rail station at BUR. It’s a 3 minute walk to the terminals from the Amtrak/Metro station. It’s the most convenient means in LA by leaps and bounds. I take it frequently from south OC because BUR flights are typically $300 less than SNA


To maximize Metolink schedules, to/from Union Station there are two Metrolink lines that serve BUR - VC and AV.

If you end up on the AV Line, you ride the shuttle bus to/from the BUR terminal.

https://metrolinktrains.com/rider-info/ ... nnections/
Last edited by LAXintl on Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 26907
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:46 pm

arfbool wrote:
It seems they've gone down to one flight right now. I thought the Neo would mean the end of the fuel stop but that seems not to be the case. It happened to me last month and the passengers who were initially very patient got increasingly annoyed as we were on the ground in Denver for over 2 hours (including the world's longest taxi to reach the fueling area). When people say they're never going to risk that again, are they serious and should Jetblue be thinking of a way to to avoid these fuel stops or complete them in a reasonable (eg 45 minutes) amount of time?


Even the NEO cant overcome winds/temperature/terrain on BUR's short runway. So far in June, they have had to fuel stop - 5 times (2 DEN, 2 MCI 1 SLC).
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 6033
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:56 pm

Ummmm, 3 different cities were mentioned in the Subject line of this thread and BUR was not one of them....

Maybe we can stick to the suspension of service at ABQ, SJC and PDX?

bb
 
panam330
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:58 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:46 am

If they can't maintain these 3 cities, how are they going to maintain a huge chunk of the NK network? Not great optics.
 
Abeam79
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:16 am

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:58 am

panam330 wrote:
If they can't maintain these 3 cities, how are they going to maintain a huge chunk of the NK network? Not great optics.


Really?? This is due to low demand in the season and staffing issues thats plaguing all the airlines, if anything doing this ahead of time is ensuring more reliability. Delta is cancelling more flights today and Jetblue hasn't cancelled out of NYC. This strategy works. Plus the crews come along with the possible NK acquisition, and they will realign the network to trim redundancies which will free up resources for existing markets. Thats how it usually works.
 
AC4500
Posts: 1122
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:02 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:09 am

SANFan wrote:
Ummmm, 3 different cities were mentioned in the Subject line of this thread and BUR was not one of them....

Maybe we can stick to the suspension of service at ABQ, SJC and PDX?

bb

I think the idea is that BUR is another small west coast California station that seemed to avoid the axe from B6. On that note, the SJC<-->SFO and BUR/ONT<-->LAX catchment areas are vastly different. The LA basin area is notorious for heavy traffic (not that the bay area isn't), and getting from one side of the LA Basin to the other can take as long as several hours with heavy traffic, whereas San Jose to San Francisco usually takes less than an hour. In other words, it's much easier for San Jose residents to access SFO than it is for Burbank residents to access LAX, which could explain why BUR and ONT were saved for now.
 
sxf24
Posts: 2037
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:22 pm

Re: RUMOR: JetBlue [temporarily] leaving ABQ, PDX and SJC

Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:38 am

Abeam79 wrote:
panam330 wrote:
If they can't maintain these 3 cities, how are they going to maintain a huge chunk of the NK network? Not great optics.


Really?? This is due to low demand in the season and staffing issues thats plaguing all the airlines, if anything doing this ahead of time is ensuring more reliability. Delta is cancelling more flights today and Jetblue hasn't cancelled out of NYC. This strategy works. Plus the crews come along with the possible NK acquisition, and they will realign the network to trim redundancies which will free up resources for existing markets. Thats how it usually works.


Not very pro-competition. “We are merging to shrink less.”
 
tphuang
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:57 pm

JetBlue is moving all of its operation to Terminal B on Saturday.
 
bluecrew
Posts: 684
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:13 am

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:16 pm

tphuang wrote:
JetBlue is moving all of its operation to Terminal B on Saturday.

At LGA, in case anyone needs that info.
 
Poorpilot
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:59 am

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:00 am

bluecrew wrote:
tphuang wrote:
JetBlue is moving all of its operation to Terminal B on Saturday.

At LGA, in case anyone needs that info.


Wait, there are multiple Terminal B’s in the country?
 
phxtravelboy
Posts: 352
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:42 am

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Sun Jul 10, 2022 10:45 pm

Anyone have any info on how B6 has been doing in MKE? I work in corporate travel, and in SABRE, the JFK flights especially appear to be doing well, at least load wise (yes I know a full flight doesn't mean it's profitable). BOS looks a bit more iffy. It would be nice if they would do well there and add more cities and flights. LAX would be a much needed addition; they already fly there from both BUF and BDL.
 
tphuang
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:45 pm

phxtravelboy wrote:
Anyone have any info on how B6 has been doing in MKE? I work in corporate travel, and in SABRE, the JFK flights especially appear to be doing well, at least load wise (yes I know a full flight doesn't mean it's profitable). BOS looks a bit more iffy. It would be nice if they would do well there and add more cities and flights. LAX would be a much needed addition; they already fly there from both BUF and BDL.


It's hard to know this early on. I think we need to wait a while to see. But yes, I think LAX-MKE is quite possible.
 
Brianpr3
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:34 pm

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:24 am

Poorpilot wrote:
bluecrew wrote:
tphuang wrote:
JetBlue is moving all of its operation to Terminal B on Saturday.

At LGA, in case anyone needs that info.


Wait, there are multiple Terminal B’s in the country?

Lmao yes rsw has a terminal B
 
CRJ200flyer
Posts: 341
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:33 pm

Re: Jetblue Network Thread - 2022

Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:51 pm

Brianpr3 wrote:
Poorpilot wrote:
bluecrew wrote:
At LGA, in case anyone needs that info.


Wait, there are multiple Terminal B’s in the country?

Lmao yes rsw has a terminal B


:duck:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos