Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 12367
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 3:51 pm

Welcome to the Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022. Please continue to post your comments below

Link to last thread

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1456037
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 26103
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:29 am

Cathay Pacific to operate skeleton passenger flight schedule in January, with ongoing reductions throughout Q1.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/ ... edule.html
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:19 pm

To add to CX troubles, Hong Kong has banned transit passengers from more than 100 countries until February 15. This includes key markets like US, UK, Japan, Australia.

https://www.reuters.com/article/health- ... AP8N2TS007
 
Cardude2
Posts: 688
Joined: Mon May 20, 2019 1:55 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 pm

And even worse there having cargo and other troubles, discussion here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1468391&p=23126023&hilit=Cathay+Pacific#p23126023

interesting read since there are Cathay and ex-Cathay employees voicing their concern for the company.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:20 am

Cathay is offering bonus payments to pilots as an incentive to get more planes in the air.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... eep-flying
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:54 pm

Cathay start selling health insurance plan with Cigna
https://www.cathaypacific.com/en_HK/wel ... rance.html
 
zakuivcustom
Posts: 3673
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:32 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:34 pm

Don't think this was posted yet...from few days ago:
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/hea ... attendants

Yep, keep scapegoating...coming from the same government that's killing pet hamsters (and other small animals). Talk about a repressive police state.

EDIT:
LAXintl wrote:
Cathay Pacific to operate skeleton passenger flight schedule in January, with ongoing reductions throughout Q1.

https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_HK/ ... edule.html


And the difference in outbound flight vs. inbound is telling - there's basically zero inbound flights from anywhere outside of mainland.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17191
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:15 pm

AngMoh wrote:
Cathay is offering bonus payments to pilots as an incentive to get more planes in the air.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... eep-flying


This is not a bonus.

The salary is productivity based, with the closed loop rostering there is a period of 21 days where no flying is undertaken whilst in quarantine. The payment is supposed to compensate for that loss of 21 days flying, however in reality fails to do so.
 
flight152
Posts: 3546
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2000 8:04 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:48 pm

zeke wrote:
AngMoh wrote:
Cathay is offering bonus payments to pilots as an incentive to get more planes in the air.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... eep-flying


This is not a bonus.

The salary is productivity based, with the closed loop rostering there is a period of 21 days where no flying is undertaken whilst in quarantine. The payment is supposed to compensate for that loss of 21 days flying, however in reality fails to do so.

21 days in quarantine? Where is the science in that?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17191
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 pm

Don’t get me started…..
 
User avatar
mercure1
Posts: 5526
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:13 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:05 pm

HK government expected to approve the transfer of 46 remaining route rights held by Cathay Dragon to Cathay and HK Express.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/tra ... s-operated
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:22 am

Cathay forecasts lower than expected loss for 2021 but expects to increase cash burn for coming months due to stricter quarantine restrictions.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/busines ... ed-2455091
 
cskok8
Posts: 141
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:37 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:38 am

flight152 wrote:
zeke wrote:
AngMoh wrote:
Cathay is offering bonus payments to pilots as an incentive to get more planes in the air.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... eep-flying


This is not a bonus.

The salary is productivity based, with the closed loop rostering there is a period of 21 days where no flying is undertaken whilst in quarantine. The payment is supposed to compensate for that loss of 21 days flying, however in reality fails to do so.

21 days in quarantine? Where is the science in that?


The risk of Covid being brought in by inbound passengers/crew reduces the longer the quarantine. It never drops to zero. Previously it was 14 days, then someone tested positive after 16 days or so. Most other countries accept a small degree of risk and mandate quarantine of 10/7/5 days. Since China aims for Covid 0 21 days will stay for now. If someone tests positive after 22 days then we may see an extension of the quarantine
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17191
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:13 am

I have seen no scientific data to suggest it takes 16 days for covid to present. I would suggest a day 16 result is related to catching covid in quarantine
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:15 am

zeke wrote:
I have seen no scientific data to suggest it takes 16 days for covid to present. I would suggest a day 16 result is related to catching covid in quarantine


The other way is the PCR test detecting the body shedding parts of virus (but no active virus) post infection. This can happen even 2-3 months after the infection and depends also on how sensitive the PCR test has been set up as well as how severe the original infection was.

Singapore has announced that for vaccine travel lanes, they will not do the on-arrival PCR as well as pre-departure test for those who are fully vaccinated and have recovered 7-90 days from infection. This is probably due to the number of false positives from people who have been recently infected.
 
User avatar
c933103
Posts: 6436
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:51 am

flight152 wrote:
zeke wrote:
AngMoh wrote:
Cathay is offering bonus payments to pilots as an incentive to get more planes in the air.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east- ... eep-flying


This is not a bonus.

The salary is productivity based, with the closed loop rostering there is a period of 21 days where no flying is undertaken whilst in quarantine. The payment is supposed to compensate for that loss of 21 days flying, however in reality fails to do so.

21 days in quarantine? Where is the science in that?

The current policy in Hong Kong for general vaccinated inbound travelers require 21 days in quarantine + 7 days self health management + continuous testing up to the 26th days after arrival
https://www.coronavirus.gov.hk/eng/inbo ... emeasures2
 
RoyalBrunei757
Posts: 889
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:18 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:26 am

Saw an photo on IG, the last B77W of the BOC Aviation lot to be leased to Qatar Airways is painted all-white earlier this month B-KPP MSN 36164/ Line #: 845. In total QR took four ex-CX B77Ws.
B-KPL 36161 / 818 A7-BOB
B-KPM 36159 / 835 A7-BOA
B-KPN 36165 / 839 A7-BOD
B-KPP 36164 / 845 A7-BOC

Source: airfleets.net
 
CX Flyboy
Posts: 6219
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:10 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:03 am

RoyalBrunei757 wrote:
Saw an photo on IG, the last B77W of the BOC Aviation lot to be leased to Qatar Airways is painted all-white earlier this month B-KPP MSN 36164/ Line #: 845. In total QR took four ex-CX B77Ws.
B-KPL 36161 / 818 A7-BOB
B-KPM 36159 / 835 A7-BOA
B-KPN 36165 / 839 A7-BOD
B-KPP 36164 / 845 A7-BOC

Source: airfleets.net


B-KPP just landed a couple of hours ago into DOH.
 
boston5555
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:07 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:17 pm

I know this isn't necessarily news ... but a good friend of mine recently traveled SFO-HKG as he was connecting to Beijing as a broadcaster for the Winter Olymipcs. He and his colleague were the only two passengers on the flight. So sad ... it seems like just yesterday when I traveled BOS-HKG and the flight was full of business people, tourists, and parents visiting kids who were working in Hong Kong.
 
russyyz
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:15 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:12 pm

Does anyone know why CX is not flying to Singapore in December of 2022? I seem to be unable to book a connecting flight SFO-HKG-SIN. I also tried November. Normally they'd have schedules out by then.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4932
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 29, 2022 10:52 pm

The 77Ws seem to be leaving the fleet at quite a rate at the moment. Understandable I guess.

Can someone in the know please expand on the situation with the transfers to Qatar? Are these just Cathay Pacific aircraft leased to Qatar or is it Cathay Pacific aircraft returned to the lessor and subsequently leased to Qatar?
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17191
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:35 pm

zkojq wrote:

Can someone in the know please expand on the situation with the transfers to Qatar? Are these just Cathay Pacific aircraft leased to Qatar or is it Cathay Pacific aircraft returned to the lessor and subsequently leased to Qatar?


Nothing to do with cx these are frames that were returned to lessors by Cx. I think the majority of 77Ws were leased, think I recall 19 owned.
 
User avatar
zkojq
Posts: 4932
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sun Jan 30, 2022 3:46 am

zeke wrote:
zkojq wrote:

Can someone in the know please expand on the situation with the transfers to Qatar? Are these just Cathay Pacific aircraft leased to Qatar or is it Cathay Pacific aircraft returned to the lessor and subsequently leased to Qatar?


Nothing to do with cx these are frames that were returned to lessors by Cx. I think the majority of 77Ws were leased, think I recall 19 owned.


Thanks!
 
AnsettB727
Posts: 221
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:19 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:44 pm

I have a ticket for my first trip back to Australia in 3 years for this coming July on CX and I have to say, part of me isn't feeling at all confident that it's going to take off at all...and not because of pandemic-induced reasons.
 
patrickw421
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:54 pm

boston5555 wrote:
I know this isn't necessarily news ... but a good friend of mine recently traveled SFO-HKG as he was connecting to Beijing as a broadcaster for the Winter Olymipcs. He and his colleague were the only two passengers on the flight. So sad ... it seems like just yesterday when I traveled BOS-HKG and the flight was full of business people, tourists, and parents visiting kids who were working in Hong Kong.


Well... Regular pax without special approval can't transit at HKG to China nor get into HKG from USA (residents included) at the moment so I guess your friend and his colleague are basically the only person who can get the approval to be on that flight.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17191
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:10 pm

AnsettB727 wrote:
I have a ticket for my first trip back to Australia in 3 years for this coming July on CX and I have to say, part of me isn't feeling at all confident that it's going to take off at all...and not because of pandemic-induced reasons.


Flights out should be ok, it’s the flights in and the stays of everyone on the aircraft is unknown. The recent change back to 14 days quarantine is a step in the correct direction.
 
anstar
Posts: 3447
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:49 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 am

I had a ticket booked Australia > Europe with CX ivia Hong Kong. I cancelled it for a refund over the weekend as don't need the uncertainty.
 
VRHNM
Posts: 139
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:27 am

HK Flight ban for Australia/UK/Canada/USA/France/India/Pakistan/Philippines extended to the 4th of March, with Nepal being added to the list too

Source in Chinese: https://www2.hkej.com/instantnews/curre ... AePzHUwlgQ
 
TC957
Posts: 4348
Joined: Wed May 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:48 pm

How many CX A350's have had paint issues a la QR and which ones ? CX is said to be one of the other airlines affected by this.
 
User avatar
ClassicLover
Posts: 5468
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:27 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Fri Feb 11, 2022 5:57 pm

VRHNM wrote:
HK Flight ban for Australia/UK/Canada/USA/France/India/Pakistan/Philippines extended to the 4th of March, with Nepal being added to the list too


You would hope it doesn't last much past then, HK is already unusual by keeping this in place considering most places are now reopening to one extent or another. Even fortress Australia is lowering the drawbridge. Any extension past 4th March will be a big surprise - hell, this one is already surprise enough.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 17191
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Fri Feb 11, 2022 7:26 pm

TC957 wrote:
How many CX A350's have had paint issues a la QR and which ones ? CX is said to be one of the other airlines affected by this.


None, CX had some aircraft with paint peel, that normally happened soon after delivery, generally under the belly where the panels are screwed on. I had seen triangular areas around 12” wide and 20” long where the white polyurethane paint detached from the undercoat. Generally it seems to start from an edge of a panel and work towards the rear. This was relatively easy to restore during a normal check, panel removed, repainted and reinstalled.
 
acavpics
Posts: 661
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:54 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:31 pm

I recently saw an article on flightglobal.com saying that CX is "expected to return to profitability in 2022."
Is that even close to realistic? Considering that they are just operating 2% of their pre-pandemic capacity. Are they betting on HK's restrictions not going past March 4th?

I have no clue how CX will return to profitability any time soon at this rate.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/c ... 93.article
 
User avatar
DanielsBrawley
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue May 18, 2021 12:02 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sat Feb 12, 2022 4:07 pm

acavpics wrote:
I recently saw an article on flightglobal.com saying that CX is "expected to return to profitability in 2022."
Is that even close to realistic? Considering that they are just operating 2% of their pre-pandemic capacity. Are they betting on HK's restrictions not going past March 4th?

I have no clue how CX will return to profitability any time soon at this rate.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/c ... 93.article


They beat up the pilot group bad enough so maybe that's part of the reason? Many of the poor blokes left can't even support their families in HK.

I also wouldn't trust HSBC's comments. They've leaned more and more into being a puppet for HK's government.
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:12 am

acavpics wrote:
I recently saw an article on flightglobal.com saying that CX is "expected to return to profitability in 2022."
Is that even close to realistic? Considering that they are just operating 2% of their pre-pandemic capacity. Are they betting on HK's restrictions not going past March 4th?

I have no clue how CX will return to profitability any time soon at this rate.

https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/c ... 93.article


CX was close to breaking even late last year, primarily due to cargo revenue. However, the forecast was that the burn rate would increase from December onward due to the new restrictions imposed by the HK government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-60107282

To me HSBC is guessing by the end of the year they might be cash positive, but I can not see them profitable over the whole year. The problem with restoring flight schedules is that in the beginning costs (especially fuel) go up fast while revenue will lag behind. The only way that CX has a low loss for 2021 has to be that all costs have been cut to the bone and whatever is left they fly at a profit for that specific route only. Cargo rates have gone up and HKG is still the biggest cargo hub in East Asia, even with all restrictions.
 
CX Flyboy
Posts: 6219
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:10 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:29 am

The HSBC report would have been compiled before this "5th wave" hit HKG, and based on how things were going it did look positive for CX but pretty much as they released the report, this wave started which has been far more serious than previous ones (relatively anyway). The report wouldn't have known how bad the restrictions would become for CX.
 
iridescent
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun May 30, 2021 1:22 am

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:45 am

CX Flyboy wrote:
The HSBC report would have been compiled before this "5th wave" hit HKG, and based on how things were going it did look positive for CX but pretty much as they released the report, this wave started which has been far more serious than previous ones (relatively anyway). The report wouldn't have known how bad the restrictions would become for CX.


The report was released on Feb 7th well into the "fifth wave" (when around several hundred cases per day), and after the latest restrictions were imposed on CX.

https://asianaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/HSBC-Cathay-Pacific-Report.pdf
 
CX Flyboy
Posts: 6219
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 1999 6:10 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:57 am

iridescent wrote:
CX Flyboy wrote:
The HSBC report would have been compiled before this "5th wave" hit HKG, and based on how things were going it did look positive for CX but pretty much as they released the report, this wave started which has been far more serious than previous ones (relatively anyway). The report wouldn't have known how bad the restrictions would become for CX.


The report was released on Feb 7th well into the "fifth wave" (when around several hundred cases per day), and after the latest restrictions were imposed on CX.

https://asianaviation.com/wp-content/uploads/HSBC-Cathay-Pacific-Report.pdf


Released, yes but how long were they working on it and how much of it had been written weeks prior to the release?
 
SYD330
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu May 26, 2016 1:12 am

Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:17 am

executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-to-launch-the-world-s-longest-flight

The proposed New York-Hong Kong flight would be rerouted to avoid the Russian airspace which would take 16-17 hours [16,618km].
If successful, it will beat the current Singapore Airlines Singapore-New York JFK record [15,349km]. I am assuming there will be a Guinness World Records for Cathay Pacific if this mission can be accomplished.
Last edited by SYD330 on Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
Noshow
Posts: 3227
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:20 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:20 am

Is ultra long haul the right thing to do in times of a very high oil price?
 
ReverseFlow
Posts: 264
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:40 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:23 am

I thought chinese airlines were still flying over Russia? Or why is Cathay avoiding russian airspace?
 
AngMoh
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:48 am

SYD330 wrote:
executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-to-launch-the-world-s-longest-flight

The proposed New York-Hong Kong flight would be rerouted to avoid the Russian airspace which would take 16-17 hours [16,618km].
If successful, it will beat the current Singapore Airlines Singapore-New York JFK record [15,349km]. I am assuming there will be a Guinness World Records for Cathay Pacific if this mission can be accomplished.


SQ is also avoiding Russian airspace. Yesterday's SQ23 JFK-SIN flight was 18:31 and last week it was over 19:00 as it went over Egypt. It should still be a much longer flight. 15,349 is great circle distance which goes straight over Russia.
 
eamondzhang
Posts: 1972
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:23 am

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:21 am

ReverseFlow wrote:
I thought chinese airlines were still flying over Russia? Or why is Cathay avoiding russian airspace?

It's just Cathay and no one else

I won't dive into political side of it.

Michael
 
commpilot
Posts: 159
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:21 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:05 am

Probably because Swire is a London based company and isn't allowed into Russian airspace or doesn't want to give them money for fees as part of a global boycott.
 
User avatar
TWA302
Posts: 1199
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:17 am

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:38 am

AngMoh wrote:
SYD330 wrote:
executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-to-launch-the-world-s-longest-flight

The proposed New York-Hong Kong flight would be rerouted to avoid the Russian airspace which would take 16-17 hours [16,618km].
If successful, it will beat the current Singapore Airlines Singapore-New York JFK record [15,349km]. I am assuming there will be a Guinness World Records for Cathay Pacific if this mission can be accomplished.


SQ is also avoiding Russian airspace. Yesterday's SQ23 JFK-SIN flight was 18:31 and last week it was over 19:00 as it went over Egypt. It should still be a much longer flight. 15,349 is great circle distance which goes straight over Russia.


I love to fly but there is no way I could do 19 hours in coach. Gross.
 
Delta28L
Posts: 529
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:40 am

eamondzhang wrote:
ReverseFlow wrote:
I thought chinese airlines were still flying over Russia? Or why is Cathay avoiding russian airspace?

It's just Cathay and no one else

I won't dive into political side of it.

Michael


There’s Chinese airlines that are still flying over Russia right now. China eastern flight from Shanghai to Paris is currently over Russian airspace
 
fessor
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:41 am

AngMoh wrote:
SYD330 wrote:
executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-to-launch-the-world-s-longest-flight

The proposed New York-Hong Kong flight would be rerouted to avoid the Russian airspace which would take 16-17 hours [16,618km].
If successful, it will beat the current Singapore Airlines Singapore-New York JFK record [15,349km]. I am assuming there will be a Guinness World Records for Cathay Pacific if this mission can be accomplished.


SQ is also avoiding Russian airspace. Yesterday's SQ23 JFK-SIN flight was 18:31 and last week it was over 19:00 as it went over Egypt. It should still be a much longer flight. 15,349 is great circle distance which goes straight over Russia.


Just an estimate isn't that 17.000 km + ?
 
User avatar
SRQKEF
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:10 pm

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:50 am

TWA302 wrote:
AngMoh wrote:
SYD330 wrote:
executivetraveller.com/news/cathay-pacific-to-launch-the-world-s-longest-flight

The proposed New York-Hong Kong flight would be rerouted to avoid the Russian airspace which would take 16-17 hours [16,618km].
If successful, it will beat the current Singapore Airlines Singapore-New York JFK record [15,349km]. I am assuming there will be a Guinness World Records for Cathay Pacific if this mission can be accomplished.


SQ is also avoiding Russian airspace. Yesterday's SQ23 JFK-SIN flight was 18:31 and last week it was over 19:00 as it went over Egypt. It should still be a much longer flight. 15,349 is great circle distance which goes straight over Russia.


I love to fly but there is no way I could do 19 hours in coach. Gross.


The SQ A350ULR doesn't have coach: https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Singa ... 900ULR.php
 
Starfuryt
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 am

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:53 am

Here is the approximate route flown by SQ23 recently, 17300km. JFK-HKG following a similar route would be about 1000km shorter

Image
Last edited by Starfuryt on Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 778
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:58 am

Based on flightaware , the actual distance from SIN to EWR is 16500-16700 km and EWR to SIN is 17000km
 
Starfuryt
Posts: 222
Joined: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:58 am

Re: Cathay Pacific to launch the world's longest flight ever

Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:38 pm

HKG to JKF going the other way over Alaska, skirting Russia airspace is quite a bit shorter, around 14,000km. Why would they fly the long way in this case? Prevailing winds?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos