Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

West Coast Florida (TPA, PIE, SRQ, PGD, RSW, APF) Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:06 pm

Welcome to the West Coast Florida Aviation Thread 2022. This thread is covering TPA, PIE, SRQ, PGD, RSW, APF.

Please continue to post your news and your discussion here.

Link to previous thread:

West Coast Florida (TPA, PIE, SRQ, PGD, RSW, APF) Aviation Thread - 2021

graham697

Re: West Coast Florida (TPA, PIE, SRQ, PGD, RSW, APF) Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:23 pm

Happy Early New Year! Here's to hoping TPA can resume builidng its international portfolio this year.

altairF28

Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:38 am

graham697 wrote:
Happy Early New Year! Here's to hoping TPA can resume builidng its international portfolio this year.

That would be nice but with the announcement of all the flights LH is cutting this month due to the latest COVID downturn in traffic I'm just hoping they don't suspend us again.

phatfarmlines

Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:42 am

This document wasn't shared in the 2021 running thread, but it's the specifics of the timeline of the upcoming TPA master plan update. It also includes a review of the 2012/2016 master plans and what was accomplished. A good read on details, but alot of what is expected was discussed.

https://www.tampaairport.com/master-pla ... u-document

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:39 pm

So both B6 and WN dropping TPA-RIC, leaving on MX (Breeze) on the route. A nice victory if you will for Breeze I'm sure.

jplatts

Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:56 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
So both B6 and WN dropping TPA-RIC, leaving on MX (Breeze) on the route. A nice victory if you will for Breeze I'm sure.

In addition to MX still serving TPA nonstop from RIC, G4 also still has nonstop service to PIE from RIC.

PennPal

Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:34 am

This sharp looking 757 has been parked at a remote stand at RSW all week. Does anyone have any insight as to why it is there??
https://www.planespotters.net/airframe/ ... llc/rz42ve

FLALEFTY

Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:00 am

PennPal wrote:
This sharp looking 757 has been parked at a remote stand at RSW all week. Does anyone have any insight as to why it is there??

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VPBBE

It appears that this plane has been at RSW for over a month. With its last owner, GainJet Aviation (of Greece), it had a 68-seat VIP interior. The new owner, Freedom II LLC appears to be a dummy company. I checked the Florida government's SunBiz.org site and it listed the LLC as being applied for, but not established.

SRQLOT

Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:38 am

Some great news for SRQ. Other then the fact that Delta brought back the 757! For a month or so haha

SRQ will be getting $23 million from the Infrastructure bill toward the 5 gate terminal. “ Construction on the terminal will likely begin this summer. The airport estimates it will take two years to complete.

On top of this project, SRQ also wants to build another five-gate terminal. However, that is a project isn’t going to start until about 5-10 years from now.”

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/01/14/s ... expansion/

Where could the additional 5 gates be put in?? At one point they would be pushing into the fuel farm, maybe on the northern side or remove the employee parking lot and the pond by Rwy 4?

phatfarmlines

Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:13 pm

SRQLOT wrote:

Where could the additional 5 gates be put in?? At one point they would be pushing into the fuel farm, maybe on the northern side or remove the employee parking lot and the pond by Rwy 4?

Why does the SMAA feel the need to build a separate unit terminal? Seems like the current facility should be able to expand both landside and airside facilities (add an extra concourse for the 5 gates and expand ticketing/baggage claim). Move parking lots and that McClure auditorium elsewhere.

On that note, anyone have a link to a SRQ master plan?

krsw757

Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:42 pm

It’s been pretty windy in Florida, possibly had to do with crosswind components.

Oceanic

Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:44 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
Why does the SMAA feel the need to build a separate unit terminal? Seems like the current facility should be able to expand both landside and airside facilities (add an extra concourse for the 5 gates and expand ticketing/baggage claim). Move parking lots and that McClure auditorium elsewhere.

Based on the plans I saw, I believe the first 5 gates are going to be built near where the former 'Terminal D' commuter terminal was, at the east end of the ticketing area. The proposals I saw come in all basically did a similar thing. There would be temporary gates built even further east with an outdoor covered walkway and then the gates for the permanent terminal would have their construction started with B1 (and possibly B3) temporarily out of use, with the location of the temporary gates being cascaded and shuffled about as construction progresses eastward. I grabbed a couple of mock ups from one of the proposals to help illustrate. I'm wondering if the 2nd 5-gate terminal that is mentioned would be accomplished by executing a mirror copy of the expansion on the west side of the current terminal complex behind the baggage claim area with the end result being a Y shaped gate layout.

I always figured if/when expansion occurred they would first just extend the existing terminal B further north, seems like you'd be able to lengthen it enough to tack on another 5 gates but perhaps there are clearance issues that prevent that.

If you dig into this you can see some more of the mock-ups from the bidders deep within the PDF:

https://srq-airport.com/sites/default/f ... rtlist.pdf

csturdiv

Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:52 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
PennPal wrote:

It appears that this plane has been at RSW for over a month. With its last owner, GainJet Aviation (of Greece), it had a 68-seat VIP interior. The new owner, Freedom II LLC appears to be a dummy company. I checked the Florida government's SunBiz.org site and it listed the LLC as being applied for, but not established.

I was wondering about that plane. I saw it in Dec 19 when I landed at RSW and then again yesterday when I landed. Really sharp looking plane.

csturdiv

Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:50 am

Did Alaska Airlines cut back service at RSW? I was booked on AS377 to LAX on Jan 28 (booked through Qantas for my return flight to Sydney) and yesterday I got an email that the flight was cancelled. Looks like it last operated on 12 JAN. It was booked as a 739ER and i was looking forward to that plane as I've never been on it. Maybe on my next trip to the States.

krsw757

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:57 am

Yeah, I think they’re only running Seattle at the moment and United is the only one running LAX

Oceanic

Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:50 pm

SRQ sent an e-mail this morning announcing 2x weekly service to AUS on Allegiant starting April 14th. Press release is now up on Allegiant's site:

https://ir.allegiantair.com/news-releas ... ing-spring

phatfarmlines

Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:25 pm

With the F9/NK merger announced, a good time to discuss gate swaps at TPA. There is no way a combined entity would be able to operate out of Airsides A or E without someone else moving, even with scheduling rationalization that occurs post-merger.

What I predict will happen:

F9 & B6 trade places (F9 goes to Airside A, B6 goes to Airside E).

F9 & NK will then be together at Airside A. This would also bring F9 back to the original airside it started operations from.

deltadudejg

Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:23 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
With the F9/NK merger announced, a good time to discuss gate swaps at TPA. There is no way a combined entity would be able to operate out of Airsides A or E without someone else moving, even with scheduling rationalization that occurs post-merger.

F9 & NK will then be together at Airside A. This would also bring F9 back to the original airside it started operations from.

Only downside with moving B6 out of A is the ease of connection with Silver

deltairlines

Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:17 am

phatfarmlines wrote:

Are F9 and NK really connecting people through TPA? If they're not (which is what I'd think), then the need for a consolidated operation might not be the highest priority.

Jake93P

Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:37 am

phatfarmlines wrote:

Same would go for RSW. F9 is in B and NK is in D. If F9 moved to D, B6 would most likely go to B leaving the shared concourse with AA. I'm not sure if B could absorb NK without moving WN. May be less of an issue once the centralized security checkpoint is finished.

IAmGaroott

Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:06 am

phatfarmlines wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me if B6 ended up in F with AA once all the international traffic goes to the new Airside D.

GVIIO

Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:50 am

Isn’t it about time TPA gets workin on new airside D? All the air sides seem to be overcrowding at this point

IAHFLYR

Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:40 pm

Speaking of RSW and guesses of terminal swapping brings me to a trivia question that I should know the answer to but don't.

Why did RSW name the terminals B,C and D rather than A, B and C?

Way back in 2004 before it opened the new terminal building in 2005, I remember seeing something in the News Press while down visiting parents and now some 18 years later have forgotten. :old:

FlyerTalkUserNa

Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:40 pm

GVIIO wrote:
Isn’t it about time TPA gets workin on new airside D? All the air sides seem to be overcrowding at this point

https://news.tampaairport.com/hcaa-boar ... l-airport/

Will be interesting to see what comes out of the master plan update.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:51 pm

Looks like some TPA route cuts, not sure exactly on the dates or if moving to seasonal.

NK:
IND/STL

3M:
CAE is cut entirely from 3M

AA:
LAX

flightsimer

Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:25 pm

FLALEFTY wrote:
PennPal wrote:

Freedom II is newer operation. I saw job postings earlier in 2021 for them for flying their E170 which is in an all First class configuration.

My understanding is they are a charter shuttle service out to Aruba and or other islands.

PGDRSW

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:00 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
Speaking of RSW and guesses of terminal swapping brings me to a trivia question that I should know the answer to but don't.

Way back in 2004 before it opened the new terminal building in 2005, I remember seeing something in the News Press while down visiting parents and now some 18 years later have forgotten. :old:

For future concourse expansion. A and E concourse.

PGDRSW

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:13 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:

If you look at the satellite view, A concourse would eventually be built to the right and of B which would be the first concourse when you drive into departures and arrivals. E would be built opposite.

krsw757

Tue Feb 08, 2022 7:41 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:

The expansion plans call for new terminals to be built next to the existing ones. Which interestingly enough the new master plan, which was just released last week, calls for terminal E to be built next instead of A. As of now planned completion is 2027. Terminal E will add 14 more gates.

jplatts

Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:36 pm

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for NK TPA-LAX nonstop service in 2018:
33846 passengers, 42230 seats, 80.15% load factor

NK re-adding TPA-LAX nonstop service might be a possibility as
(a) NK can likely undercut the US3 and AS on fares on the TPA-LAX route if NK re-adds TPA-LAX nonstop service,
(b) NK has recently added some new nonstop routes out of both LAX and TPA such as LAX-CMH/SDF/MEM/MKE/SLC and TPA-SDF/MHT/MKE,
(c) WN no longer serves LAX nonstop from TPA whereas WN was serving LAX nonstop from TPA in addition to DL and NK when NK was on the TPA-LAX route, and
(d) TPA doesn't currently have any nonstop service to the Greater Los Angeles market on any ULCC's whereas FLL has nonstop service to LAX on NK and MCO has nonstop service to ONT on F9.

Jake93P

Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:04 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Looks like some TPA route cuts, not sure exactly on the dates or if moving to seasonal.

NK:
IND/STL

3M:

AA:
LAX

Surprising that IND-RSW can support so many carriers but IND-TPA can't even support WN/NK year round (plus G4 to PIE)

phatfarmlines

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:02 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:

NK:
IND/STL

I would have thought NK could have made STL work. It will be interesting to see what role STL plays in the post-F9/NK merger.

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
3M:

Ouch - looks like a casualty courtesy of Breeze. I believe we did have a discussion about 3M's prospects in this market once Breeze started flying it.

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
AA:
LAX

jplatts wrote:
Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for NK TPA-LAX nonstop service in 2018:
33846 passengers, 42230 seats, 80.15% load factor

NK re-adding TPA-LAX nonstop service might be a possibility as
(a) NK can likely undercut the US3 and AS on fares on the TPA-LAX route if NK re-adds TPA-LAX nonstop service,
(b) NK has recently added some new nonstop routes out of both LAX and TPA such as LAX-CMH/SDF/MEM/MKE/SLC and TPA-SDF/MHT/MKE,
(c) WN no longer serves LAX nonstop from TPA whereas WN was serving LAX nonstop from TPA in addition to DL and NK when NK was on the TPA-LAX route, and
(d) TPA doesn't currently have any nonstop service to the Greater Los Angeles market on any ULCC's whereas FLL has nonstop service to LAX on NK and MCO has nonstop service to ONT on F9.

The Tampa Bay area has been very fortunate to have all of the West Coast nonstop service it has gained in recent years. Having said that, LAX in particular has historically been a market that has struggled with multiple carriers, and continues to struggle as incumbents come and go. DL has the market on lock.

It's difficult to compare the traffic prospects between TPA and MCO/South Florida to LAX - these markets are different from TPA. MCO is the Disney/Universal shuttle and South Florida benefits from South America connections and Spanish-language telecommunications presence in Miami.

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:11 am

^^

With NK, I can see IND going seasonal, it's a perfect seasonal N-S route. STL is a pure WN market, who runs 2-4x daily on that route, that's tough to compete against. I saw BNA on NK is also maybe getting dropped to seasonal or reduced, same story as STL, but now add AA.

For CAE/Breeze, are you thinking CHS? Breeze doesn't serve CAE. But to your point the direct 3M and Breeze markets, Breeze can eat their lunch probably and even more so as they grow. CHS they compete head to head on, but 3M staying so far.

Breeze won the RIC market, both WN and B6 dropping RIC.

Could certainly see Breeze in SAV down the road too.

As for LAX, it's a saturated market, you had AA, UA, DL, and AS all flying it. NK has tried, WN has tried. Only tried and trued is DL.

FLYKTPA

Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:22 am

STL on NK is likely going seasonal.

IND is likely going seasonal too. It started as seasonal and had only operated during one summer season (last summer). Interesting how Columbus is staying daily on NK through summer.

AA to LAX looks to be taking a break starting in April and is loaded to return in November. Maybe just going seasonal?

Too bad about CAE. The ATR is probably just the wrong aircraft for it. Only hope for that route is probably Breeze with an E190.

Frontier looks to be cutting CMH and BMI a tad earlier than originally planned (Originally ending in April as they are seasonal routes)
BMI ends in March
CMH ends in March
Weak performers I’ll assume. The A320 is probably too much aircraft for BMI. CMH is interesting although Breeze is offering it 2x Saturday only for the spring and Southwest and Spirit already offer it.

I’m hopeful this year brings some international from Frontier, Breeze or Spirit. Low frequency adds such as MBJ, PUJ, SDQ etc would be an interesting experiment and get passengers to stop driving to MCO for a nonstop.

Spirit is making DTW 2x daily this summer, the most frequency ever offered during the summer on that route, used to be less than daily a few years ago.

We should hear the Breeze A220 adds soon! Hopefully some west coast!

SRQLOT

Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:58 am

SRQ airport also made a comment on the merger. I kinda got to laugh at the response considering the past. “ “To see this merger is kind of exciting for people in this industry to see,” Mark Stuckey, the executive vice president and chief of staff at SRQ airport, said. “I think for our airport it’s a great opportunity to get another carrier operating out of our terminal.” I think he forgot about the Southwest/AirTran merger lol. Also him saying that mergers are rare in the industry is lie, so many happened and will keep on happening and new airlines will come out to fill in the gap.

https://www.mysuncoast.com/2022/02/08/f ... q-airport/

I guess this time around if Frontier is the one on power with this merger then maybe more flights will happen, would be exciting to see a Spirit livery at the airport.

GVIIO

Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:39 pm

How will construction of D even work, with UPS and Amazon occupying the stands on the very ground it’s gonna sit on?

BTVB6Flyer

Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:22 pm

GVIIO wrote:
How will construction of D even work, with UPS and Amazon occupying the stands on the very ground it’s gonna sit on?

UPS will be moving to a new cargo terminal being built near where FedEx is (https://www.tampaairport.com/sites/defa ... ration.pdf)

Amazon will most likely consolidate to LAL. That or less likely move to old Cargo North apron, which currently isn't connected to a taxiway.

GVIIO

Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:22 pm

It’s my understanding that Amazon doesn’t have space at LAL to consolidate and is now in limbo at TPA I suppose

FlyerTalkUserNa

Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:54 pm

GVIIO wrote:
It’s my understanding that Amazon doesn’t have space at LAL to consolidate and is now in limbo at TPA I suppose

My goodness. They’re already out of room at LAL?!?!

PresRDC

Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:16 pm

The United IND-RSW seasonal flight ends early - before the Spring Break rush, which I don't understand. Even though it's a 2 hour drive for me to get there from SBN, a nonstop flight in Seat 1A of an ERJ is a nice way to travel.

Flyingstump

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:09 pm

Speaking of TPA-LAX, I just took Delta from SLC-LAX-TPA yesterday (Tuesday, February 8). Just looking around, I'd say the flight was 70-80% full (if not more), and First Class was sold out. Usually on Delta flights, I see that Delta Comfort gets closer to selling out than First, but on this route in particular, the First class is usually sold out more than Delta Comfort. It probably speaks to the affluence of the customers flying from LAX to TPA.

Speaking of TPA nonstops, I must say, the nonstop on Delta from SLC-TPA is terrible timing. I know some people like redeyes, but no one valuing their time and health and traveling for leisure wants to arrive in Tampa at 5:45am so that they have to take another day off to sleep. I guess Delta doesn't care because they can just funnel people through Atlanta (or in my case, LAX), but I think a carrier that starts SLC - TPA arriving at 10pm or sooner will find themselves beating Delta in that direction. At least seasonally for leisure.

When it comes to TPA's issue of capacity at airsides, let's hope they accelerate creating new gate space. It was getting pretty crowded pre-COVID, and with the Tampa Bay's VERY rapid growth over the past 5 years (and even more so in the past 2 years), there will be plenty of opportunity for both leisure and business growth! In the short-term, could it be possible to move AA from F to E, Air Canada and Frontier to F, and Spirit to F? This seems like a lot of effort to accommodate the Spirit and Frontier merger, but I also think moving JetBlue or United away from A hurts Silver Airways', albeit small, connection opportunities (I'm just biased towards supporting a local, regional carrier with a turbo prop fleet!). I also don't like removing AA from F as they've been the anchor there (previously US Airways and AA) for decades, but they should have enough room at E with Delta.

Flyingstump

Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:19 pm

Related to the Tampa Bay area but unrelated to TPA, has anyone heard anything about G4 at PIE? Before COVID, there were rumors that they might start some international service out of PIE, and there were some capital projects that they had invested in at the airport. PIE was actually experiencing overcrowded parking garages and terminal space pre-COVID and, fortunately and unfortunately, Allegiant has already gotten back to 2019 pax levels!

Years ago, I remember seeing a drawing of building a new 14-18 gate airside connected by a bridge just north of the existing terminal. That would be quite the expansion, but not only could Allegiant use that space, I think PIE could even attract a flight from an airline looking to expand if TPA doesn't build the new airside in a timely manner. Unlikely, I know, but not unthinkable.

GVIIO

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:17 am

It’s my understanding LAL doesn’t have the space for Amazons full operation and there has been a big “learning curve” for the airport in handling them.

Moreover no way AA moves to E at TPA their operation is far too large, larger than people realize specifically with RON aircraft. Best option is to move JetBlue to E and have frontier consolidate with spirit at A.

Not sure logistically how TPA can begin construction on airside D without having a new place for UPS and Amazon to park first. Seems TPA is paying the price for waiting far too long to build this overdue terminal as pre covid international aside the space was running out. Breeze setting up and frontier establishing a base has just pushed things overboard they have a real problem on their hands

GVIIO

Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:20 am

The SLC-TPA route changes times often. Month ago it’s arrival time was 1700 with a 90min turnaround prior to that it arrived at 1530 and left at 1700. DL keeps shuffling it. Suprised they don’t run it 2x a day as it’s consistently full

NCaviationfan

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:34 pm

On TPA airside gate moves and buildout of D, if I could wave my magic wand...

Put American, JetBlue and Alaska all in the new D and upgrade/reconfigure F for interntional, as that infrastructure is already in place there (and nice I might add!). With JetBlue out of A, I think that will provide enough room for the combined Spirit/Frontier. TPA likes to keep airside gate assigments by airline rather tidy with no ongoing split operations except for the occasional overflow or RON.

I'll echo what others have said, American has a sizeable presence in TPA for those who rarely, if ever, fly out of there. When gates F 77-84 are operating on all cylinders it is soooo crowded at the end of the terminal with The Gasparilla Bar plopped right down in the middle of it. Truly, standing room only at times. Add a few AA flights in and out of F 85-90 at the same time and this airside is busy enough to feel uncharacteristically chaotic for TPA. And the American Admirals Club is jamming too.

BTVB6Flyer

Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:09 am

TPA with another long taxi time queue earlier this evening. Was watching on FR24 and saw 25 planes in queue for departure at it's max. Was double stacked back to Airside E.

Longest taxi time ends up being Air Canada to YUL at nearly 2.25 hours: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ROU ... /KTPA/CYUL

https://twitter.com/Gonzo1033/status/14 ... 98/photo/1

TPA tweeted it ended up being because if JAX ATC staffing: https://twitter.com/FlyTPA/status/1494820317264502784

IAHFLYR

Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:01 pm

BOE002 a B779 has been at RSW the last few days and maybe longer playing out in the Gulf between 30 and 100 miles west of Cape Coral and yesterday did some touch-n-goes at RSW. Will be there in a few days and hope to see the massive jet when we land.

FlyerTalkUserNa

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:10 am

Saw a C-146 Wolfhound show up on ADS-B Exchange out of TPA last night. It tracked along the coast to the NW like it was headed to Elgin, but I fell asleep and stopped following it. Anybody ever see one at TPA before?

BTVB6Flyer

Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:12 am

Looks like SRQ will be getting Breeze announcing soon, June 4th start date to ORF and BDL according to a new article posted early and taken down.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos