Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

caribbean484

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2022

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:50 pm

caribny wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
Perhaps a move to protect what's left of PY?

Either way the way their CAA guy talks is ridiculous and TTCAA should restrict PY from operating into POS until there they have their act together.

Brickell305 wrote:
Per ThePointsGuy, B6 is making quite a few cuts that affect the Caribbean (and Bermuda) as some of the routes they added during the pandemic (some routes are from pre-pandemic) have not panned out:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

I also wonder if the EWR cuts are terminal construction related.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-b ... oute-cuts/

I believe that the airlines are seeing normal behavior from pax as people are CARES act and other benefits are ending and flights/networks are coming back to normal operations. A lot of people last year were tired of staying home, had a lot in savings and decided to go on vacation. Add to that a lot of people were working from home so there were many flexibilities with working from a vacation spot. With many of those coming to an end the normal behavior is slowly returning. As a result a lots of the flights that were added are going to be reposition or cut to normal hubs.

It is surprising that B6 is cutting these routes like EWR-BGI/PAP, even BDA I though was going to be a good A220 route.

The notion that PBM is complaining about BW is a joke, given that it was BW which had to temporarily bail out stranded PY passengers when they lost their planes.

This is a bold faced attempt to protect PY and it isnt going to work because T&T will retaliate. PBM actually needs BW more than POS needs PY.

I could not even believe the asinine nonsense I read from that official, because BW did operate a couple of repatriation flights to PBM during the pandemic. They even helped out PY in June last year to GEO-MIA when the airline has its 73Gs repossessed. He knows in the current state that PY cannot compete with BW into/out PBM to POS and beyond. There are people saying they would prefer to fly AA MIA-POS out of PBM.
BW must complain and the TTCAA must revoke PY from operating into POS.

baje427

Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:24 am

The BGI-EWR cut isn't surprising and UA joining the route was probably the nail in the coffin . I wouldn't be surprised if UA doesnt return to BGI come next winter as the loads have apparently been abysmal.

GUYAIR707

Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:38 am

caribbean484 wrote:
caribny wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

Either way the way their CAA guy talks is ridiculous and TTCAA should restrict PY from operating into POS until there they have their act together.

I believe that the airlines are seeing normal behavior from pax as people are CARES act and other benefits are ending and flights/networks are coming back to normal operations. A lot of people last year were tired of staying home, had a lot in savings and decided to go on vacation. Add to that a lot of people were working from home so there were many flexibilities with working from a vacation spot. With many of those coming to an end the normal behavior is slowly returning. As a result a lots of the flights that were added are going to be reposition or cut to normal hubs.

It is surprising that B6 is cutting these routes like EWR-BGI/PAP, even BDA I though was going to be a good A220 route.

The notion that PBM is complaining about BW is a joke, given that it was BW which had to temporarily bail out stranded PY passengers when they lost their planes.

This is a bold faced attempt to protect PY and it isnt going to work because T&T will retaliate. PBM actually needs BW more than POS needs PY.

I could not even believe the asinine nonsense I read from that official, because BW did operate a couple of repatriation flights to PBM during the pandemic. They even helped out PY in June last year to GEO-MIA when the airline has its 73Gs repossessed. He knows in the current state that PY cannot compete with BW into/out PBM to POS and beyond. There are people saying they would prefer to fly AA MIA-POS out of PBM.

Seems to be against the spirit of caricom. Suriname CAA is incorrect to do this. Travelled there pre covid and their ports are not friendly. Once past that their people are great.

caribny

Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:25 am

GUYAIR707 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
caribny wrote:

Seems to be against the spirit of caricom. Suriname CAA is incorrect to do this. Travelled there pre covid and their ports are not friendly. Once past that their people are great.

Are they like Guyanese or very different?

ButterBawse

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:00 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
ButterBawse wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

Three more, I would think they would would be named JAM, SXM and TTO? I feel I read somewhere the TT designations are already held by some other aircraft

SXM would not be used as a previous 737-800 used this reg.

What's stopping them from reusing it? The aircraft has left the TTCAA registry

its going to be a mess in the maintenance software

ButterBawse

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:04 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
ButterBawse wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

Three more, I would think they would would be named JAM, SXM and TTO? I feel I read somewhere the TT designations are already held by some other aircraft

JAM Already exists, so maybe STL(St Lucia), STV(St VIncent), STM(St Marteen), TRI, TOB, DOM, CUR, ARU.

JAM is on a max. not sure if he was referring to the JAM already built so forgive me if I come off rude

ButterBawse

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:05 pm

ButterBawse wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:
ButterBawse wrote:

What's stopping them from reusing it? The aircraft has left the TTCAA registry

its going to be a mess in the maintenance software. Same reason they didn't reuse GND but instead opted for GRN

windian425

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm

baje427 wrote:
The BGI-EWR cut isn't surprising and UA joining the route was probably the nail in the coffin . I wouldn't be surprised if UA doesnt return to BGI come next winter as the loads have apparently been abysmal.

With B6 dropping this route I won't be surprised if UA picks it up and are more successful.

Brickell305

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:38 pm

windian425 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

With B6 dropping this route I won't be surprised if UA picks it up and are more successful.

Didn’t UA already restart EWR-BGI?

On another note, I always found those EWR island routes on B6 a hit strange. UA dropped EWR-ANU (temporarily) even prior to B6 announcing. This despite having served ANU for years. Then B6 announced service with more frequency than UA had on the route despite not having as big an FF base or hub at EWR.

caribbean484

Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:51 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
windian425 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

On another note, I always found those EWR island routes on B6 a hit strange. UA dropped EWR-ANU (temporarily) even prior to B6 announcing. This despite having served ANU for years. Then B6 announced service with more frequency than UA had on the route despite not having as big an FF base or hub at EWR.

I initially thought they were looking to service routes that UA weren't on to the Caribbean or have a strong presence out of JFK and duplicating in EWR. I guess they are finding out it is harder to compete on international routes out of EWR where UA is basically the mega hub carrier there. Most likely they will find success on heavy domestic routes out of EWR rather than international Caribbean/Latin America.

I also wonder what the loads to IAD are looking like for UA

GUYAIR707

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm

caribny wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

Very different. There are different cultures from those in Guyana. The country appears safe and they are a small economy.

tphuang

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:01 am

caribbean484 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

I initially thought they were looking to service routes that UA weren't on to the Caribbean or have a strong presence out of JFK and duplicating in EWR. I guess they are finding out it is harder to compete on international routes out of EWR where UA is basically the mega hub carrier there. Most likely they will find success on heavy domestic routes out of EWR rather than international Caribbean/Latin America.

I also wonder what the loads to IAD are looking like for UA

B6 only does a little worse at EWR than JFK normally. EWR routes were cut because they need the aircraft for JFK stuff. They also have gate constraints at EWR until they move into the new terminal and get their full allocation of gates.

TriniA340

Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:32 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
JAM Already exists, so maybe STL(St Lucia), STV(St VIncent), STM(St Marteen), TRI, TOB, DOM, CUR, ARU.

Hypothetically, if St. Lucia were to be used, it would be LCA, and St. Vincent, VIN (Olympics country codes).

ButterBawse

Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:12 am

GUYAIR707 wrote:
caribny wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

Very different. There are different cultures from those in Guyana. The country appears safe and they are a small economy.

Are you implying guyana isnt safe? ;)

trini81

Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:34 pm

It seems that the CAL first MAX flight would be BW414 POS/KIN on Jan 14 at 830 am.
Looking forward to the pics!

gunnerman

Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:30 pm

There is a rumour that LIAT staff will soon stage some kind of industrial action throughout the LIAT network in solidarity with the approximately 500 former employees who have been fighting since April 2020 for severance pay and other payments owed to them amounting to almost EC$120m.

GUYAIR707

Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:32 pm

ButterBawse wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
caribny wrote:

I was expecting that question. Since 2002 the crime has become worse in Guyana. While in Suriname I was out and about at 2 am and everywhere seemed alive and vibrant. In Guyana that vibrant night life has been curtailed.

Brickell305

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:53 am

gunnerman wrote:
There is a rumour that LIAT staff will soon stage some kind of industrial action throughout the LIAT network in solidarity with the approximately 500 former employees who have been fighting since April 2020 for severance pay and other payments owed to them amounting to almost EC$120m.

They may as well say they want to shut LI down for good. I’m definitely not on the side of the govt/management but any type of industrial action against LI now will be the straw that broke a very fragile camel’s back.

caribny

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:18 am

gunnerman wrote:

Well that will be the end of LI. Now that InterCaribbean and Air Antilles are both expanding LI will be less vital.

ButterBawse

Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:21 pm

GUYAIR707 wrote:
ButterBawse wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:

I was expecting that question. Since 2002 the crime has become worse in Guyana. While in Suriname I was out and about at 2 am and everywhere seemed alive and vibrant. In Guyana that vibrant night life has been curtailed.

in guyana most places close earlier than usual due to covid

aa1818

Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:37 pm

trini81 wrote:
It seems that the CAL first MAX flight would be BW414 POS/KIN on Jan 14 at 830 am.
Looking forward to the pics!

She departed early it seems.
Saw videos with much hype- speeches, performances, ribbon cutting and water salute.
9Y-CAL as BW414 is descending now into KIN.

Hope all on board had a great flight and hope to see some more photos/ videos of the interior soon.

Congrats again to Caribbean Airlines. Hoping to see some of their ground-service issues improved in short-order (*cough* refunds *cough*).

On another note, I recall CAL applied for IAH service, did they ever do any GEO-IAH flights (even as one-offs)?

Cheers,
AA1818

baje427

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:28 pm

I noticed in their marketing CAL does not refer to it as the MAX 8 that being said it's good to see them getting these birds operating.

LimaFoxTango

Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:31 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Please note this proposed protest is for the former LIAT staff who have been sent home almost 2 years now without severance.

GUYAIR707

Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:08 pm

ButterBawse wrote:
GUYAIR707 wrote:
ButterBawse wrote:

in guyana most places close earlier than usual due to covid

Pre covid.

baje427

Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:11 pm

I noticed JY is operating the E145 on the BGI-SVD and BGI-UVF runs is this to increase aircraft utilisation or is it temporary?

fowlr29

Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:05 pm

baje427 wrote:
I noticed JY is operating the E145 on the BGI-SVD and BGI-UVF runs is this to increase aircraft utilisation or is it temporary?

Prob because the don't have the spare aircraft. The current schedule was built with the ATRs built in. This is why they are also wet leasing a CRJ to operate on their behalf.

danipawa

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:02 pm

baje427 wrote:

JY second ERJ145 arrived PLS this week, now at DR for paint. Third one to follow soon. VQ-TLR is BGI based now. Pivot CRJ200 is operating PLS-SDQ/KIN/NAS until ERJ is ready.

windian425

Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:45 pm

JY E145 simply filling gaps in the schedule due to the shortage of E120 aircraft. Currently only 1 E120 operating a schedule which calls for 2 aircraft daily. E145 operated BGI-SVD-GND-BGI yesterday 15JAN22. Some BGI-GEO-BGI flights have also been cancelled to make the E145 available for other routes. Only airports where E145 cannot operate without restrictions are SLU & DOM.

LimaFoxTango

Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 pm

windian425 wrote:
JY E145 simply filling gaps in the schedule due to the shortage of E120 aircraft. Currently only 1 E120 operating a schedule which calls for 2 aircraft daily. E145 operated BGI-SVD-GND-BGI yesterday 15JAN22. Some BGI-GEO-BGI flights have also been cancelled to make the E145 available for other routes. Only airports where E145 cannot operate without restrictions are SLU & DOM.

DOM? What restrictions will an E145 have getting into or out of DOM?

danipawa wrote:
baje427 wrote:

JY second ERJ145 arrived PLS this week, now at DR for paint. Third one to follow soon. VQ-TLR is BGI based now. Pivot CRJ200 is operating PLS-SDQ/KIN/NAS until ERJ is ready.

Didnt they have at least 2 E145's they sold/returned to an operator in Africa? Werebt they planning on getting rid of the E145 fleet couple years ago?

baje427

Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:48 pm

windian425 wrote:

Interesting for their sake hopefully the E120 doesn't go tech and cancelling the BGI-GEO flights can't be making a good impression.

caribny

Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:12 am

baje427 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

Interesting for their sake hopefully the E120 doesn't go tech and cancelling the BGI-GEO flights can't be making a good impression.

If you look at JYs TripAdvisor reviews this is the norm. The airline over expands, runs into issues with aircraft and/or crew availability, cancels flights but makes no arrangements for its passengers. It then behaves as if there are no problems. Some might be shocked to know that pre pandemic LI had the best TripAdvisor reviews of those smaller Caribbean carriers. Go to LIs Facebook page and almost every other post are Guyanese begging LI to return. The devil that you know is sometimes better than the one you don't.

JY is not a transparent carrier as they are privately held. No one knows how they financed their expansion, or their almost total shut down during the pandemic period. So expect things like that. It will not surprise me if they had to reduce their fleets and then expanding with extreme optimism. Their attitude seems to be "oh shucks, no plane, so we will simply not answer the phone when enraged passengers call".

Also given that some of these JY passengers arrived into BGI from VS/BA planning to continue to GEO what then?

INFINITI329

Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 pm

BW videos on their Max 8...they refer it as the the -8

"Most technically advanced aircraft in the world".....highly doubtful :| :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nvUz5gMI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8BtZuEgQtQ

caribny

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:47 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
BW videos on their Max 8...they refer it as the the -8

"Most technically advanced aircraft in the world".....highly doubtful :| :|

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4nvUz5gMI8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8BtZuEgQtQ

Very good videos. Hopefully they will be able to rebuild market share into their core KIN, POS, and GEO markets.

baje427

Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm

The BW Max 8 Y cabin looks nice but the J class cabin looks pretty bland.

caribbean484

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:17 pm

9Y-CAL POS-KIN

Seat map

New Interior photos of the fleet

The business class seats are the Rockwell Collins MiQ business class line that is featured on Turkish Airlines’ A321neos

New Uniforms

asuflyer

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm

The J seats look like the uncomfortable AA J 737MAX8 seats that pax complained about with not enough padding. The Y cabin seats are the same AA and WN use.

caribbean484

Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:34 pm

So after huffing and puffing last week, Suriname finally gave CAL permission to resume flights, they also granted GOL permission to resume flights to Belem.
he minister says this follows a meeting between top officials of the Ministry of Transport, Communication and Tourism (TCT), the Association of Surinamese Travel Agents (ASRA), and Caribbean Airlines. He noted, however, that the team must work on a resolution.

Suriname denied the airline’s request to resume flights to the country following the mistreatment of its nationals by the Trinidad-based state-owned Caribbean Airlines.

https://www.caribbeannationalweekly.com ... e-flights/

Hopefully we will see meaningful return to UK tourism to the Caribbean.
UK Expected To Drop Arrival COVID-19 Tests For Fully Vaccinated
The Independent reports that a booster vaccine will be required to meet the requirements of not needing a day two test. This may still cause a headache for those unable to secure a booster vaccine due to foreign vaccination policies. However, for those who have been fully vaccinated and boosted, travel would almost return to how it was before the arrival of the COVID-19 pandemic.

https://simpleflying.com/uk-expected-to ... accinated/

caribny wrote:
baje427 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

If you look at JYs TripAdvisor reviews this is the norm. The airline over expands, runs into issues with aircraft and/or crew availability, cancels flights but makes no arrangements for its passengers. It then behaves as if there are no problems. Some might be shocked to know that pre pandemic LI had the best TripAdvisor reviews of those smaller Caribbean carriers. Go to LIs Facebook page and almost every other post are Guyanese begging LI to return. The devil that you know is sometimes better than the one you don't.

JY is not a transparent carrier as they are privately held. No one knows how they financed their expansion, or their almost total shut down during the pandemic period. So expect things like that. It will not surprise me if they had to reduce their fleets and then expanding with extreme optimism. Their attitude seems to be "oh shucks, no plane, so we will simply not answer the phone when enraged passengers call".

Also given that some of these JY passengers arrived into BGI from VS/BA planning to continue to GEO what then?

Looking at their strategy they seem to want to take advantage of LI situation while not having the equipment to do so in the belief of being number 1 in the market. The issue with JY is we don't know what their financial position is and operations are becoming more unreliable.

LimaFoxTango

Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:54 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
So after huffing and puffing last week, Suriname finally gave CAL permission to resume flights, they also granted GOL permission to resume flights to Belem.

As a member of Caricom, Suriname really had no grounds to deny CAL.

baje427

Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:14 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
9Y-CAL POS-KIN

Seat map

New Interior photos of the fleet

The business class seats are the Rockwell Collins MiQ business class line that is featured on Turkish Airlines’ A321neos

New Uniforms

The photos didn't load sadly.

caribny

Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:59 am

caribbean484 wrote:

Looking at their strategy they seem to want to take advantage of LI situation while not having the equipment to do so in the belief of being number 1 in the market. The issue with JY is we don't know what their financial position is and operations are becoming more unreliable.

Pity that a new airline, not well known to the travelling public and performing poorly, will further depress the recovery of intra regional travel. As it is growing use of online for US visa renewals will significantly reduce the need for travel to BGI.

asuflyer

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:11 am

When is BW actually going to regularly start using the MAX? It appears the flight to KIN was a one off? Are they awaiting for TTCAA's approval? The introduction to the fleet process seems very long compared with other airlines.

maverick4002

Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:16 pm

asuflyer wrote:
When is BW actually going to regularly start using the MAX? It appears the flight to KIN was a one off? Are they awaiting for TTCAA's approval? The introduction to the fleet process seems very long compared with other airlines.

Maybe Feb 1? They just received the 3rd aircraft last night (achieves some sort of scale, or more scale than 1 aircraft) and separately announced a new dining feature starting Feb 1. Maybe they were waiting to get a certain amount of aircraft to be able to deploy it somewhat effectively across the network. With three on property now, they can probably serve the GEO routes to JFK and YYZ as well as POS-MIA now, or something like that. Also maybe have a spare so if they are marketing the flights as being on the new aircraft and something happens, they can swap. IDK

LimaFoxTango

Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:08 pm

asuflyer wrote:

Pure speculation here on my part, but I know a part of the Max return to service is that pilots must be given Max specific simulator training. I know currently Max sims are pretty hard to come by, so perhaps BW is a little backed up on their pilot training. Once again, pure speculation here.

embraer175e2

Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:27 pm

Cal plane diverting to virginia due to crack in windshield.
https://www.facebook.com/126206357995/p ... 135032996/

INFINITI329

Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:59 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
Cal plane diverting to virginia due to crack in windshield.
https://www.facebook.com/126206357995/p ... 135032996/

I wonder whats CAL's plan to get their passengers to JFK. Its a 6 1/2 hr drive between ORF and JFK

fowlr29

Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:09 pm

News from reliable sources that Winair to dry lease two Dash 8 Q300s. Aircraft will arrive middle of this year.

ButterBawse

Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:37 am

maverick4002 wrote:
asuflyer wrote:

Maybe Feb 1? They just received the 3rd aircraft last night (achieves some sort of scale, or more scale than 1 aircraft) and separately announced a new dining feature starting Feb 1. Maybe they were waiting to get a certain amount of aircraft to be able to deploy it somewhat effectively across the network. With three on property now, they can probably serve the GEO routes to JFK and YYZ as well as POS-MIA now, or something like that. Also maybe have a spare so if they are marketing the flights as being on the new aircraft and something happens, they can swap. IDK

Heard from a friend that this month 9Y-CAL will be heading to Guyana to serve either BW607 to Toronto or BW526 to JFK

gunnerman

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:20 pm

VS's EDI-BGI flights will no longer continue to 22 April and will stop early on 16 February, with the last inbound flight to EDI on 22 February, due to “subdued bookings”. VS blames “changing travel restrictions and arrival testing requirements set by the UK and Scottish governments”.
Last edited by gunnerman on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gunnerman

Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:26 pm

EI will resume their winter MAN-BGI flights on 2 November using the 333 in two cabin classes with 30 seats in Business and 278 in Economy. Flights will be on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

baje427

Sat Jan 22, 2022 7:18 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
News from reliable sources that Winair to dry lease two Dash 8 Q300s. Aircraft will arrive middle of this year.

Interesting selection I would have thought they would go with ATR.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos