Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fowlr29

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2022

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:58 am

lilac1 wrote:
https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/shamfa-govt-to-order-9-aircraft-for-interisland-service-6.2.1553464.e90c3e6902
Looks like things are picking up for BW

I won't be surprised if this is a misquote and/or she's confused. 9 new ATR's? In addition to the 7 already? A fleet of 16 ATRs, would be highly doubtful. She probably means the fleet will be taken up to 9 total.

https://antiguaobserver.com/liat-2020-a ... -take-off/

In other news...... LIAT 2020 to operate A330s, A320s and ATRs including routes to Europe? The delusional get more deliousnal....

caribbean484

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:03 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
lilac1 wrote:
https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/shamfa-govt-to-order-9-aircraft-for-interisland-service-6.2.1553464.e90c3e6902

I won't be surprised if this is a misquote and/or she's confused. 9 new ATR's? In addition to the 7 already? A fleet of 16 ATRs, would be highly doubtful. She probably means the fleet will be taken up to 9 total.

In other news...... LIAT 2020 to operate A330s, A320s and ATRs including routes to Europe? The delusional get more deliousnal....

It's unfortunate when you have politicians making these kinds of announcements, because now people will be making all sorts of complaints like the government is using money to by a/cs and not help poor. She also missed represented the plan for those a/cs and this is why politicians should not speak of business strategy.
The airline's plan was always to have 9 fleet ATR (7 currently on property) and 2 more should be on property sometime next year. Those a/c will not be used solely for POS-TAB route, but for regional expansion that the airline shelved when Covid hit.

caribbean484

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:22 pm

baje427 wrote:
windian425 wrote:
Eurowings has dropped all Caribbean operations for this Winter. Will DE possibly fill this void?

https://barbadostoday.bb/2022/09/30/eurowings-clipped/

Seems this came as a bit of a surprise to the tourism players they seem to be scrambling to fill the void but I guess it's too late at this point.

It is way too late to do anything now, as the typical winter tourist season starts soon. I am willing to bet that Eurowings may have seen forward booking poor and decided that cancelling now is better. I would like to see how Europe tourism to the Caribbean will look this season as there are a lots of concerns with skyrocketing inflation and energy crisis developing.

gunnerman wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
Rwanda and Barbados discuss airlift capacity

https://www.stvincenttimes.com/rwanda-a ... -capacity/

The 763 is to be wet leased and this will be a Citizen by Investment Program project, meaning that those who are paying for this will get Antigua & Barbuda citizenship and passports which provide visa-free travel to 150 countries and territories including the EU Schengen area and the UK.

:D Another scheme, and tax payers should be very concerned about this. I really don't get politicians and these pork barrel spending ideas.

baje427 wrote:
Is JY having some operational issues I noticed one of their E145's has been in KIN for a week and they are having some serious delays on their EC routes.

Not sure as sometimes they seem to have problems with their fleet and it could be an issue for parts? BW is having issues getting parts on-time due to supply chain issues and they have been running their NG when their MAXs are having issues.

Brickell305

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:48 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
lilac1 wrote:

It’s election season in Antigua. Take any news coming from there with an ENORMOUS grain of salt.

baje427

Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:07 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
windian425 wrote:
Eurowings has dropped all Caribbean operations for this Winter. Will DE possibly fill this void?

Seems this came as a bit of a surprise to the tourism players they seem to be scrambling to fill the void but I guess it's too late at this point.

It is way too late to do anything now, as the typical winter tourist season starts soon. I am willing to bet that Eurowings may have seen forward booking poor and decided that cancelling now is better. I would like to see how Europe tourism to the Caribbean will look this season as there are a lots of concerns with skyrocketing inflation and energy crisis developing.

gunnerman wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

The 763 is to be wet leased and this will be a Citizen by Investment Program project, meaning that those who are paying for this will get Antigua & Barbuda citizenship and passports which provide visa-free travel to 150 countries and territories including the EU Schengen area and the UK.

:D Another scheme, and tax payers should be very concerned about this. I really don't get politicians and these pork barrel spending ideas.

baje427 wrote:
Is JY having some operational issues I noticed one of their E145's has been in KIN for a week and they are having some serious delays on their EC routes.

Not sure as sometimes they seem to have problems with their fleet and it could be an issue for parts? BW is having issues getting parts on-time due to supply chain issues and they have been running their NG when their MAXs are having issues.

With the collapse of the Pound and inflation concerns in Europe the outlook is probably bleak. It'll be interesting to see how TUI's expansion into BGI pans out.

caribny

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:42 am

Brickell305 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
On 16 February 2023 AA goes from daily to double-daily on MIA-UVF using the 738. At the start of the summer schedule on 26 March 2023 the second flight will be operated with the 737 MAX 8.

CLT-UVF is a winter service and will operate from 3 November 2022 to 1 April 2023 using the 319.

Anything beyond Feb 16 2023 is AA’s placeholder schedule.

By now AA has passed its place holder period for the winter. There is a lull between New Years and Presidents Week, when many US families take their winter vacations. Given current issues airlines are taking down service when not needed. Tour operators, hoteliers, etc., are already making their winter arrangements so need to know what airlift is available, so airlines have now put into place their core winter schedules, though will make adjustments as they see fit. Presidents week is usually quite heavy and much used by the well-heeled, so some are even now beginning to make their arrangements. Airlift after the end of March will be more tentative.

It doesn't make sense to not have loaded into the system the peak sun and sand leisure destinations by now.
Last edited by caribny on Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

maverick4002

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:48 am

lilac1 wrote:

Nine aircraft?? Wiki says they have 7 now. So would these be replacements (likely) or additions (doubt it). An increase in 2 aircraft isn't that much of an expansion. It would increase the airbridge capacity by at least a handful of flights per day which is probably good enough and then 1 remainder for expansion? I guess

caribny

Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:55 am

caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

gunnerman wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

baje427 wrote:

This will be a tough winter for destinations dependent on European markets. Strong dollar, driving up the cost of Caribbean vacations, inflation, uncertainties about fuel. Ukraine, and a very likely recession. Maybe fewer cruises out of BGI for similar reasons. BGI in particular will be hurt. More marginal routes out of the USA will be impacted given continued labor/fuel/aircraft issues. Some fares also look fierce.

fowlr29

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:42 pm

Has anybody seen some of the fares Arajet has been charging? On some flights the fares, excluding taxes, are $1..

SDQ - KIN can be booked in December for $1.05 Not including a carry on or checked bag.. But still! $1? It's insane.

Explains why WM pulled SDQ so quickly...

caribny

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:10 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
Has anybody seen some of the fares Arajet has been charging? On some flights the fares, excluding taxes, are $1..

SDQ - KIN can be booked in December for $1.05 Not including a carry on or checked bag.. But still! $1? It's insane.

So what's the catch?

Caribbean007

Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:14 pm

fowlr29 wrote:

The 1.00 fares are for introduction and that prices are limited, prices are dynamic and change, sooner the better price you get. When you book Smart far that only include the seat an personal item to add the Carry on during the booking the price is 39.00 dollars each way, after flight is booked the price for carry on its 49.00 dollars each way.

maverick4002

Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:04 pm

Youtube recommended me this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DkFKVk ... TripReport

A rather nice trip report on Caribbean Airlines business class from last week. Seems like the experience isnt too bad!

dominicl316

Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:40 pm

caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:

So what's the catch?

I wonder what the target market is to fill such a large aircraft from SDQ to KIN. It doesn't look like there any connecting opportunities on the KIN-SDQ leg, since it arrives in SDQ so late.

Do Dominicanos and Jamaicans need visas to visit each other's countries? I know there is a lot of business travel, but is it really enough to fill up such a a large aircraft with limited connectivity beyond SDQ?

Caribbean007

Sun Oct 09, 2022 12:16 am

dominicl316 wrote:
caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:

So what's the catch?

I wonder what the target market is to fill such a large aircraft from SDQ to KIN. It doesn't look like there any connecting opportunities on the KIN-SDQ leg, since it arrives in SDQ so late.

Do Dominicanos and Jamaicans need visas to visit each other's countries? I know there is a lot of business travel, but is it really enough to fill up such a a large aircraft with limited connectivity beyond SDQ?

Arajet plan is to have connecting flights and they are working for that, and yes Dominican needs visa to travel Jamaica, Dominican Ambassador un Jamaica said they are working to let Dominicans travel to Jamaica without visa.

caribny

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:03 pm

Caribbean007 wrote:
dominicl316 wrote:
caribny wrote:

So what's the catch?

Arajet plan is to have connecting flights and they are working for that, and yes Dominican needs visa to travel Jamaica, Dominican Ambassador un Jamaica said they are working to let Dominicans travel to Jamaica without visa.

Given that both the DR and Jamaica have some of the lowest wages in the Caribbean I do not think that either need to worry about illegal immigration from the other. Travel between the two is likely to be heavily business skewed, and maybe some curious leisure travelers. There has been so much talk about SDQ KIN service. The only one to actually do this was JY, but they were driven off for regulators.

caribny

Sun Oct 09, 2022 9:09 pm

dominicl316 wrote:
I just received word from an Air Sunshine rep that the air taxi/charter company has gone out of business. What a disappointment to travelers trying to get to other Caribbean islands from the USVI. Out of STT, they served AXA, SXM, SKB, and DOM. Out of STX, they served SKB and SLU. They had 3 Cessna 402s and 2 B1900s. They also provided cargo services. Virgin Islanders are now more disconnected than ever from our neighbors.

Any further word on this? Even as the USVI OECS market has been declining there are still VFR travel ties. Maybe LI will have to add a 2 weekly flight with service to SKB/DOM and connectivity to SLU.

dominicl316

Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:05 pm

caribny wrote:

Any further word on this? Even as the USVI OECS market has been declining there are still VFR travel ties. Maybe LI will have to add a 2 weekly flight with service to SKB/DOM and connectivity to SLU.

No further word, thus far. And LI only currently offers 1x weekly connectivity to SKB in both directions and DOM only on the outgoing leg. Connections to SLU on LI require an overnight on the outbound, and two overnights on the inbound. There are Lucians in St. Croix paying $1000+ and hotel accommodations in MIA to visit back home. It's quite the frustrating situation.

caribny

Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:37 am

dominicl316 wrote:
caribny wrote:

No further word, thus far. And LI only currently offers 1x weekly connectivity to SKB in both directions and DOM only on the outgoing leg. Connections to SLU on LI require an overnight on the outbound, and two overnights on the inbound. There are Lucians in St. Croix paying $1000+ and hotel accommodations in MIA to visit back home. It's quite the frustrating situation.

Well that will have to change if Air Sunshine is no more. Maybe JY might reconsider the USVI?

fowlr29

Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:07 pm

caribny wrote:
dominicl316 wrote:
caribny wrote:

Well that will have to change if Air Sunshine is no more. Maybe JY might reconsider the USVI?

I don't think JY has the spare capacity be it crew, or aircraft, or otherwise to do this.

They're stretched right now as it is.

As we all know the entire region is disconnected, St Lucia and the USVI is only one example of this. It's sad, but the region will stay this way until the politics for a state/region funded carrier allows, be it LIAT 2020 or otherwise. A private company is not going to be able to get the region connected in the way it was with LIAT 1974. The market conditions we have right now are as a result of the private sector, with JY on low capacity, and 3S stopping the Eastern Caribbean routes (besides FDF-BGI). The private sector solution will be high fares, low frequency and not enough connectivity. The market prefers to fly P2P where there is high demand from one island to the next, which is what is happening now, the rest of the lower demand markets will remain disconnected as the private airlines will not be interested in stopping on multiple islands trying to make up the numbers; it's just too expensive. There's rumors of WM venturing into the EC when their ATR fleet is supposed to be up and running but that will only help to connect SXM to the rest of the region, not connect the region itself.

caribny

Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:33 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
caribny wrote:
dominicl316 wrote:

I don't think JY has the spare capacity be it crew, or aircraft, or otherwise to do this.

As we all know the entire region is disconnected, St Lucia and the USVI is only one example of this. It's sad, but the region will stay this way until the politics for a state/region funded carrier allows, be it LIAT 2020 or otherwise. A private company is not going to be able to get the region connected in the way it was with LIAT 1974. The market conditions we have right now are as a result of the private sector, with JY on low capacity, and 3S stopping the Eastern Caribbean routes (besides FDF-BGI). The private sector solution will be high fares, low frequency and not enough connectivity. The market prefers to fly P2P where there is high demand from one island to the next, which is what is happening now, the rest of the lower demand markets will remain disconnected as the private airlines will not be interested in stopping on multiple islands trying to make up the numbers; it's just too expensive. There's rumors of WM venturing into the EC when their ATR fleet is supposed to be up and running but that will only help to connect SXM to the rest of the region, not connect the region itself.

The real issue with JY is they are a small privately owned so cannot fill the LI gap in a big way. JY doesnt do just P2P service. They run GEO BGI ANU, BGI SVD GND, and BGI SLU DOM. If you look at their route map they have "planned" a EIS SKB BGI. Now if that was fed by STT service that route would be even stronger. But they lack the resources to do so as they over expanded, got hurt by the pandemic and then by the loss of their SDQ hub. Even their BGI hub is underserved, but they cannot increase service because they were hurt by over expansion, and so their fleet is below what they had projected it to be.

WM is also running SXM SKB ANU so are also partially filling a LI void. I do not see how they can keep their ATR filled with just P2P, especially if they dropped SDQ. Given conditions in Haiti I do not see PAP being a replacement. AF isnt even serving PAP out of PTP FDF CAY at the present. If WM is going to serve the deep Eastern Caribbean there will have to be stops along the way.

The old LIAT isnt coming back, but clearly a void remains that will have to be filled. Someone living in STX/STT having a sick mother in SLU/SKB/DOM. Someone in EIS with a sick mother in SVD. Someone in SXM with a sick mother in GND. These are the challenges of intra regional travel. And you do not need the multiple flights per day that LI offered. It will take BW, WM, JY and LI to sit down in a room and craft a plan which will have to include code shares and coordinated scheduling. At this point people travelling from SKB accept the fact that it will be easier to fly to LGW than to POS/GEO so it doesnt take that much to fill the gap. We are now down to essential travel at this point. Charters for cricket, carnival (in the smaller islands), and music festivals.

The solution lies with the airlines. Leave MIa and Ralph Gonsalves out of this. I will gave Gaston credit. The much scaled down LI is a huge help. Now imagine if he listened to the naysayers and let LI collapse!

dominicl316

Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:30 pm

caribny wrote:

As an airline registered in Turks and Caicos, I believe only has route rights to serve STX/STT from British Overseas Territories like EIS. They had wanted to serve STX/STT-EIS with their Twin Otter, but they have gotten rid of most of them, keeping only one Twin Otter for their domestic services out of PLS. I am not sure if the EMB-120 is too large for the route - maybe they should look to do a STX/STT tagon to their ANU-EIS service?

baje427

Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:54 pm

caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:
caribny wrote:

The real issue with JY is they are a small privately owned so cannot fill the LI gap in a big way. JY doesnt do just P2P service. They run GEO BGI ANU, BGI SVD GND, and BGI SLU DOM. If you look at their route map they have "planned" a EIS SKB BGI. Now if that was fed by STT service that route would be even stronger. But they lack the resources to do so as they over expanded, got hurt by the pandemic and then by the loss of their SDQ hub. Even their BGI hub is underserved, but they cannot increase service because they were hurt by over expansion, and so their fleet is below what they had projected it to be.

WM is also running SXM SKB ANU so are also partially filling a LI void. I do not see how they can keep their ATR filled with just P2P, especially if they dropped SDQ. Given conditions in Haiti I do not see PAP being a replacement. AF isnt even serving PAP out of PTP FDF CAY at the present. If WM is going to serve the deep Eastern Caribbean there will have to be stops along the way.

The old LIAT isnt coming back, but clearly a void remains that will have to be filled. Someone living in STX/STT having a sick mother in SLU/SKB/DOM. Someone in EIS with a sick mother in SVD. Someone in SXM with a sick mother in GND. These are the challenges of intra regional travel. And you do not need the multiple flights per day that LI offered. It will take BW, WM, JY and LI to sit down in a room and craft a plan which will have to include code shares and coordinated scheduling. At this point people travelling from SKB accept the fact that it will be easier to fly to LGW than to POS/GEO so it doesnt take that much to fill the gap. We are now down to essential travel at this point. Charters for cricket, carnival (in the smaller islands), and music festivals.

The solution lies with the airlines. Leave MIa and Ralph Gonsalves out of this. I will gave Gaston credit. The much scaled down LI is a huge help. Now imagine if he listened to the naysayers and let LI collapse!

JY also seem to be struggling with fleet reliability they have had aircraft on the ground in KIN and BGI for a couple days. I don't have faith regional governments will get the travel issues solved.

embraer175e2

Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:38 pm

Slm is working on having dry leased boeing 737-800 ng.
Also they are looking for dry leased equipment for mid atlantic route.

fowlr29

Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:29 pm

caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:
caribny wrote:

There's enough P2P between BGI ANU, SVD GND, and SLU DOM to justify those routes for JY. P2P is why they run those flights. Not to make up the passenger numbers on the BGI GEO, SVD BGI, GND BGI or SLU/DOM BGI routes.

WM added SKB-ANU to pick up local traffic for the off season between SKB and ANU, this stops Oct 30t when the typical tourist traffic starts to pick back up. WM does currently fly to PAP 1x a week. A very large Haitian community in SXM keeps this operating year round, as well as interline agreements with AF to get to Paris. Unlike AF that only runs PTP PAP seasonally. (Mind you WM sells PTP-PAP year round right now as well.) They could easily fill up their ATR simply with P2P traffic from SXM to DOM, SKB, SLU and EIS in the EC, both because of the local traffic and the 11 interline agreements that they have. Together with CUR AUA BON and PAP this will keep them plenty busy.

The days of an airline operating to another island just to create connections are gone. For example, EIS - BGI with the majority ending in BGI, and then adding BGI-SVD for a handful of connections to SVD. If it was profitable enough between EIS and SVD then there would be a flight between EIS and SVD, it's not, so there isn't. It's not profitable, so a private company will not do it, and hence the lack of connectivity in the region will remain. The government/regional governments have to fill the gap, be it with a minimum revenue guarantee, or some other financial incentive.

caribny

Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:49 pm

dominicl316 wrote:
caribny wrote:

As an airline registered in Turks and Caicos, I believe only has route rights to serve STX/STT from British Overseas Territories like EIS. They had wanted to serve STX/STT-EIS with their Twin Otter, but they have gotten rid of most of them, keeping only one Twin Otter for their domestic services out of PLS. I am not sure if the EMB-120 is too large for the route - maybe they should look to do a STX/STT tagon to their ANU-EIS service?

I was in fact looking for JY to do STT EIS as a tag on to flights to other points in the Eastern Caribbean. They already do ANU and DOM from EIS, and might consider SKB and points further south.

caribny

Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:47 pm

fowlr29 wrote:
caribny wrote:
fowlr29 wrote:

There's enough P2P between BGI ANU, SVD GND, and SLU DOM to justify those routes for JY. P2P is why they run those flights. Not to make up the passenger numbers on the BGI GEO, SVD BGI, GND BGI or SLU/DOM BGI routes.

WM added SKB-ANU to pick up local traffic for the off season between SKB and ANU, this stops Oct 30t when the typical tourist traffic starts to pick back up. WM does currently fly to PAP 1x a week. A very large Haitian community in SXM keeps this operating year round, as well as interline agreements with AF to get to Paris. Unlike AF that only runs PTP PAP seasonally. (Mind you WM sells PTP-PAP year round right now as well.) They could easily fill up their ATR simply with P2P traffic from SXM to DOM, SKB, SLU and EIS in the EC, both because of the local traffic and the 11 interline agreements that they have. Together with CUR AUA BON and PAP this will keep them plenty busy.

The days of an airline operating to another island just to create connections are gone. For example, EIS - BGI with the majority ending in BGI, and then adding BGI-SVD for a handful of connections to SVD. If it was profitable enough between EIS and SVD then there would be a flight between EIS and SVD, it's not, so there isn't. It's not profitable, so a private company will not do it, and hence the lack of connectivity in the region will remain. The government/regional governments have to fill the gap, be it with a minimum revenue guarantee, or some other financial incentive.

I agree that intra regional travel will not be addressed. Not because there is not demand for it, because loud voices say otherwise. But because Caribbean politicians disrespect Caribbean people, maybe because they cannot pay bribes as foreign investors can. So they will ignore this segment and people will suffer. Regional travelers and those stakeholders who serviced these people like the small hoteliers/restaurants and others. You see when a big jet arrives from the UK its often the bigger operators who get the business. A Bajan taxi driver once told me that he got more business from people arriving on LI from SVD and SLU and GEO. But who cares about those people. They suffer when regional travel dries up because the frequencies are too low, the flight routings and times too inconvenient or seats are always fully booked.

Several points.

1. WM can do low frequency P2P routes to the southern Caribbean from SXM, or they can have higher frequencies, generating more travel. Much travel within the Eastern Caribbean consists of people traveling from one island to another for a few days and when flights operate only 2w it means that people cannot travel. LI could have run high frequency P2P routes based on its BGI hub because that hub offered feed. WM isnt going to have that.

2. Without that BGI hub LI wouldnt have been able to operate that EIS BGI flight. Given that Vincies and Guyanese are among the bigger Caribbean migrant groups in the EIS its easy connectivity through BGI that enabled that flight to operate with high frequency (I think it was 4w).

3. Haiti has collapsed into a failed state with kidnappings and with expat Haitians being among the targeted. if AF, which connects the large Haitian communities of PTP and CAY, has ended that service I cannot imagine that Haitians in SXM are that eager to return home. I very much doubt that PAP is going to absorb fully WMs ATR service. They will need other routes to ensure proper utilization.

4. The main challenge is that none of the regional carriers are in a strong position. They will not be an airline with the dominance that LIAT once had. It will take imaginative thinking from the stakeholders to coordinate the services of these carriers. WM is going to find what LI found out, and that is an ATR is a large plane to do P2P unless run through a hub. This is why they set up their BGI hub. I do not see how WM can establish a hub to service intra regional travel, given that SXM lies far north and WM is barred from service to the USVI. Its hub will continue to offer access especially to SBH for travelers out of North America and Europe.

embraer175e2

Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:14 pm

Ez air saab340 incident at bonaire airport. All 4 main tires explode during landing. Investigation underway.
Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/64028129611626 ... AHZjoLYcl/

embraer175e2

Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:09 pm

First flight of Antigua Airways sheduled on 31 october from lagos nigeria according to this news source:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4119607825

embraer175e2

Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:57 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
Ez air saab340 incident at bonaire airport. All 4 main tires explode during landing. Investigation underway.
Pictures: https://www.facebook.com/64028129611626 ... AHZjoLYcl/

An EZ Air Saab SF340 experienced a quadruple tire blowout due to excessive braking after landing at Bonaire Airport, Neth. Antilles.

caribny

Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:28 pm

embraer175e2 wrote:
First flight of Antigua Airways sheduled on 31 october from lagos nigeria according to this news source:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4119607825

Well I hope that the souls who arrive from Lagos in this airline are able to get back home. A scheduled flight from Ghana to BGI left scores of Ghanaians stranded and a Bajan govt uninterested in helping them get home.

The only way a service like this could work is if its routed into KIN or POS with connectivity to other parts of the Caribbean. This is exactly why intra regional service is needed as such connectivity scarcely exists. There are thousands of Nigerians scattered around the Caribbean. Do not see Caribbean people traveling to Nigeria, given its bad rep. Ghana would have been better for such tourist/legacy/cultural travel by Caribbean people.

I am interested in when the 2nd flight is announced.

TriniA340

Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:05 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
Slm is working on having dry leased boeing 737-800 ng.
Also they are looking for dry leased equipment for mid atlantic route.

Very likely to be ex-Caribbean 9Y-JMF.

maverick4002

Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:25 am

Looks like Virgin is discontinuing Tobago. Thats unfortunate:

https://www.guardian.co.tt/business/vir ... BXm8N4GpOg

embraer175e2

Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:19 pm

embraer175e2

Sun Oct 16, 2022 3:16 pm

BMAirbusFan320

Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:49 pm

303dk wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
303dk wrote:

They won’t be there long anyway. B6 will dump some capacity on the short hops and run them off.

Not sure who you're referring to, but I don't see B6 running SJU-EIS. SkyHigh's ops are out of SDQ and as dominicl316 said, B6 will route you through SJU.

Referring to STT-SDQ/PUJ. B6 is protective of that market and the short flights to/from SJU make it easy to dumb extra capacity.

I'm from STT. While Jetblue is protective/dominant in the aforementioned market, some of its load factors are either good or bad. I feel confident in Skyhigh's ability to hold its own in maintaining its place in the route. Should SkyHigh start flying to STT and/or the other destinations they intend on flying to, its only a matter of time before Jetblue decides to "test the waters".

baje427

Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:55 pm

A bit anecdotal I travelled on AA recently and they were offering passengers money to get off the flight due to weight restrictions. This was a MIA to BGI flight what type of weight restriction would a 738 have on that route ? Apparently AA have been asking for volunteers on this flight the week prior as well. With some slack in their summer flying an A321 for a few days might not be a bad idea on the route.

embraer175e2

Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:08 pm

KLM is cutting their winter flightshedule in half for Curacao due to capacity problems at schiphol. Big blow for the tourist industry at Curacao.
Air Belgium is also going to stop flights to Curacao in march according to luchtvaartnieuws.nl.

baje427

Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:05 am

embraer175e2 wrote:
KLM is cutting their winter flightshedule in half for Curacao due to capacity problems at schiphol. Big blow for the tourist industry at Curacao.
Air Belgium is also going to stop flights to Curacao in march according to luchtvaartnieuws.nl.

Pretty huge blow indeed hopefully AMS can get their issues sorted.

2travel2know2

Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:07 pm

baje427 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:

Maybe it’s time for CUR to woo KL to fly red-eyes AMS-CUR and have CUR-AMS arrive the earliest without paying the exorbitant AMS night operations fees?

gunnerman

Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:10 pm

baje427 wrote:
A bit anecdotal I travelled on AA recently and they were offering passengers money to get off the flight due to weight restrictions. This was a MIA to BGI flight what type of weight restriction would a 738 have on that route ? Apparently AA have been asking for volunteers on this flight the week prior as well. With some slack in their summer flying an A321 for a few days might not be a bad idea on the route.

This used to happen on some of AA's 727 flights in the late 1990s when there was a 60% limit applied to passenger loads on the MIA to GND flights due to bad weather and heat waves over southern USA. This did not go down well especially as AA was being paid US$1.5m a year for these daily flights.

caribbean484

Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:13 pm

baje427 wrote:

I have not heard of weight restrictions on the 737NGs to MIA and I looked at the 737 ACAP from Boeing and at MZFW the a/c has a 2000nm range. Now this is with zero wind and typical day of 75 degrees. Maybe they were overbooked or could be that they had high valued cargo and decided to leave pax off?

maverick4002 wrote:
Looks like Virgin is discontinuing Tobago. Thats unfortunate:

https://www.guardian.co.tt/business/vir ... BXm8N4GpOg

It was always said that loads were not good on VS before Covid, so now it just makes sense to cut the flights if loads are worse. Maybe the THA can get BA increase to 3W or get TUI to do seasonal services to LGW and MAN.

THA is talking with BW to get flights to either YYZ or GND, let's see how that works.

2travel2know2 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
embraer175e2 wrote:
KLM is cutting their winter flight schedule in half for Curacao due to capacity problems at schiphol. Big blow for the tourist industry at Curacao.

Maybe it’s time for CUR to woo KL to fly red-eyes AMS-CUR and have CUR-AMS arrive the earliest without paying the exorbitant AMS night operations fees?

Wow that is not a good as CUR typically had 2D flights and I believe they would have a 3rd seasonal flight to CUR. AMS still cannot get its act together and I read an article that EK wants LHR CEO fired for incompetence. We are living in a time where employees are refusing to work for wages pre pandemic and those who got fired got jobs elsewhere where wages and quality of life is better.

LimaFoxTango

Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:44 pm

Now that the UK will no longer require visas for Guyanese citizens, will BA now look to add flights to GEO? I know VS had expressed some interest some months back.

aa1818

Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:58 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Now that the UK will no longer require visas for Guyanese citizens, will BA now look to add flights to GEO? I know VS had expressed some interest some months back.

Announced a while back...
https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/08/br ... stinations.

Cheers,
AA1818

caribny

Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:39 pm

aa1818 wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:

Announced a while back...
https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/08/br ... stinations.

Cheers,
AA1818

And I am not sure that the visa waiver will impact people other business/govt officials and students. The UK Guyanese population is small so that reduces the outbound travel by Guyanese to the UK. This route is driven by inbound oil&gas travel and a growing eco adventure tourist industry. Of course a small increase in northbound travel by Guyanese does help. Not sure that BA gets MRGs from the Guyana gov't.

trintocan

Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:33 pm

So lots have been happening in the Caribbean aviation scene. First of all, well done Guyana. The lifting of the UK visa requirement will certainly help the viability of the new BA flights between GEO and LGW starting next year. It's great to have some good aviation news for a change.
VS's impending departure from TAB is a blow to the island's tourism. This matter however raises the lid on the long-vexed matter of financial incentives being offered to airlines to serve Caribbean islands. One should go further and look at both VS and Tobago individually and then draw conclusions. VS as a carrier have always had something of a split personality, namely being partly a mainline carrier offering competing service to BA on major routes out of LHR with a strong emphasis on the US market. They stood on their own in this regard for a long time before becoming increasingly intertwined with part-owner DL and, of course, they are soon to join SkyTeam. The other side of VS is their holiday operation, flying a combination of package holidays and stand-alone flights as an upmarket alternative to the likes of TUI. Those services have operated from various airports over the years but lately have been concentrated at LGW, MAN and GLA. As the pandemic saw flight schedules drastically reduced VS concentrated all of their London flights at LHR and have maintained this approach to the present time. The upshot of this is that the costs of operating their holiday flights has increased as LHR is more expensive to operate out of than LGW. This in turn would have potentially weakened their yields on these lower-margin services and hence VS asking for more subsidies from islands supporting them in this way. VS's mostly holiday focus means that they are more critically dependent on the UK point-of-sale than are BA - for instance, unlike BA, they do not sell seats on their inter-island shuttles. The weak pound against the US dollar thus adds to their potential woes as Caribbean holidays are invariably priced in US$.
Tobago as a destination has long lagged behind neighbouring Caribbean islands from a tourism perspective. While there are several possible explanations for this, one is certainly the relatively low stock of hotel rooms of international standard. VS had initially been closely affiliated with the former Hilton Tobago which closed many years ago and was reborn as the Magdalena Grand. The complex then closed again owing to the need for extensive repairs and it was during that time that VS first stopped serving TAB. They returned a few years later only for the pandemic to add to the wider woes. TAB thus remains something of a niche destination, not really given over to mass-market tourism. Add to this the fact that holiday prices in Tobago have risen by around 40% in the last year (partly due to the weak economy and partly due to the rise of the US$) and one sees that VS may not consider it profitable to fly there. BA can make it work because they use their stronger T&T point-of-sale to sell TAB-LGW as additional capacity to their POS-LGW services. In the long run it must be appreciated that spending taxpayers' funds to attract international airlines is not sustainable.
VS thus say goodbye to TAB and other routes are said to be under reconsideration although I have not heard anything more. TAB, however, will see DE return from next month - this was announced yesterday.

Trintocan.

Zidane

Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:41 pm

trintocan wrote:
So lots have been happening in the Caribbean aviation scene. First of all, well done Guyana. The lifting of the UK visa requirement will certainly help the viability of the new BA flights between GEO and LGW starting next year. It's great to have some good aviation news for a change.
VS's impending departure from TAB is a blow to the island's tourism. This matter however raises the lid on the long-vexed matter of financial incentives being offered to airlines to serve Caribbean islands. One should go further and look at both VS and Tobago individually and then draw conclusions. VS as a carrier have always had something of a split personality, namely being partly a mainline carrier offering competing service to BA on major routes out of LHR with a strong emphasis on the US market. They stood on their own in this regard for a long time before becoming increasingly intertwined with part-owner DL and, of course, they are soon to join SkyTeam. The other side of VS is their holiday operation, flying a combination of package holidays and stand-alone flights as an upmarket alternative to the likes of TUI. Those services have operated from various airports over the years but lately have been concentrated at LGW, MAN and GLA. As the pandemic saw flight schedules drastically reduced VS concentrated all of their London flights at LHR and have maintained this approach to the present time. The upshot of this is that the costs of operating their holiday flights has increased as LHR is more expensive to operate out of than LGW. This in turn would have potentially weakened their yields on these lower-margin services and hence VS asking for more subsidies from islands supporting them in this way. VS's mostly holiday focus means that they are more critically dependent on the UK point-of-sale than are BA - for instance, unlike BA, they do not sell seats on their inter-island shuttles. The weak pound against the US dollar thus adds to their potential woes as Caribbean holidays are invariably priced in US$.
Tobago as a destination has long lagged behind neighbouring Caribbean islands from a tourism perspective. While there are several possible explanations for this, one is certainly the relatively low stock of hotel rooms of international standard. VS had initially been closely affiliated with the former Hilton Tobago which closed many years ago and was reborn as the Magdalena Grand. The complex then closed again owing to the need for extensive repairs and it was during that time that VS first stopped serving TAB. They returned a few years later only for the pandemic to add to the wider woes. TAB thus remains something of a niche destination, not really given over to mass-market tourism. Add to this the fact that holiday prices in Tobago have risen by around 40% in the last year (partly due to the weak economy and partly due to the rise of the US$) and one sees that VS may not consider it profitable to fly there. BA can make it work because they use their stronger T&T point-of-sale to sell TAB-LGW as additional capacity to their POS-LGW services. In the long run it must be appreciated that spending taxpayers' funds to attract international airlines is not sustainable.
VS thus say goodbye to TAB and other routes are said to be under reconsideration although I have not heard anything more. TAB, however, will see DE return from next month - this was announced yesterday.

Trintocan.

Now that POS is going non-stop on BA I wonder if LGW-POS-TAB is attractive. The pros are TAB gets more BA frequency and the air bridge gets more capacity.

LimaFoxTango

Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:18 pm

Zidane wrote:
trintocan wrote:

Trintocan.

Now that POS is going non-stop on BA I wonder if LGW-POS-TAB is attractive. The pros are TAB gets more BA frequency and the air bridge gets more capacity.

Even if BA gets approval for LGW-POS-TAB, I highly doubt the GovT&T will allow cabotage between POS & TAB.

trintocan

Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:00 pm

LimaFoxTango wrote:
Zidane wrote:
trintocan wrote:

Trintocan.

Even if BA gets approval for LGW-POS-TAB, I highly doubt the GovT&T will allow cabotage between POS & TAB.

The T&T Government would not allow BA to fly passengers on the domestic route. Aside from that, it would be highly inefficient to use the heavy Boeing 777 on 12-minute flights. The last non-fully T&T owned airline to fly the domestic route was LI. In any event they listed T&T as a minority shareholder at the time and the domestic route was tied into regional links with GND and BGI. LI dropped the route in 2006, citing lack of profitability owing to having to charge the same subsidised fare as BWIA and Tobago Express without receiving a subsidy.

Trintocan.

Zidane

Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 pm

trintocan wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
Zidane wrote:

The T&T Government would not allow BA to fly passengers on the domestic route. Aside from that, it would be highly inefficient to use the heavy Boeing 777 on 12-minute flights. The last non-fully T&T owned airline to fly the domestic route was LI. In any event they listed T&T as a minority shareholder at the time and the domestic route was tied into regional links with GND and BGI. LI dropped the route in 2006, citing lack of profitability owing to having to charge the same subsidised fare as BWIA and Tobago Express without receiving a subsidy.

Trintocan.

POS-TAB is 51mi, BAH-DMM is 54mi in comparison which BA flew pre-COVID on 777s without cabotage. Indeed this route isn't ideal given local politics.

Brickell305

Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:19 pm

trintocan wrote:
LimaFoxTango wrote:
Zidane wrote:

Trintocan.

I don’t think the short flight between POS and TAB would be the main issue. BA flies those 777s between ANU and SKB which is about 6 minutes longer gate to gate. The main issue is as you said, the government would likely not let them and even if they did, why would BA want to carry passengers between the two for TT$300 round trip?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos