Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:09 pm

Welcome to the Carribbean Aviation Thread 2022. Please continue to post your news and your discussion here.

Link to previous thread:

Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2021

2travel2know2

Re: Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:26 pm

I'm going to limit my wish to just see commercial aviation in The Caribbean to early 2019 levels and to see CM back in PBM (had planned a trip over-there 2020).

richard757

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:06 pm

KLM operates three times to Port of Spain. This continues on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays. On March 27th the schedule will operate on Sundays, Tuesdays and Fridays. A lot of students have been using KLM. Foreign multinationals have been using this service connecting in AMS rather than LGW to LHR. Also, KLM has better pricing in economy class than British Airways. But, KLM has no Premium Economy.

Brickell305

Fri Dec 31, 2021 8:12 pm

2travel2know2 wrote:
I'm going to limit my wish to just see commercial aviation in The Caribbean to early 2019 levels and to see CM back in PBM (had planned a trip over-there 2020).

At least from the US, capacity to the Caribbean may actually be higher now than it was in 2019 in many parts of the Caribbean. Intraregional travel is still a shell of its former self though and that is what needs to recover ASAP for the region.

baje427

Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:43 pm

BGI was visited by an Iberojet A330 Neo yesterday to facilitate cruise ship repatriation. I do hope 2022 goes better for the region it's been a challenging two years.

BW985

Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:25 pm

The latest edition of BW’s Caribbbean Beat inflight magazine shows that Caribbean Airlines will allow for snacks such as doubles, bake and salfish, wraps etc to be pre-purchased from 16 January. I guess that means no more free meals from that date.

It also says the 737-8 will have have personal touch screen IFE in business class only. All seats will have power outlets. Nothing is mentioned about wifi though.

There are also pictures of the new uniforms that they will introduce this year. Grey with a bit of purple and pink. Looks a bit dull for a Caribbean airline IMHO.

gunnerman

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:21 pm

AC will suspend operations from 31 January to 30 April to the following Caribbean destinations in response to ongoing COVID-19 concerns particularly during the spring break period.

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

windian425

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:32 pm

gunnerman wrote:
AC will suspend operations from 31 January to 30 April to the following Caribbean destinations in response to ongoing COVID-19 concerns particularly during the spring break period.

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

Source please?? Loop News Cayman Islands had this story yesterday but i suspect its old news from January 2021.. This would be devastating to the Caribbean Islands identified... I also note that it doesn't include FDF and PTP which are both operating this winter 2021/22.

caribny

Tue Jan 04, 2022 6:47 pm

BW985 wrote:
The latest edition of BW’s Caribbbean Beat inflight magazine shows that Caribbean Airlines will allow for snacks such as doubles, bake and salfish, wraps etc to be pre-purchased from 16 January. I guess that means no more free meals from that date.

It also says the 737-8 will have have personal touch screen IFE in business class only. All seats will have power outlets. Nothing is mentioned about wifi though.

There are also pictures of the new uniforms that they will introduce this year. Grey with a bit of purple and pink. Looks a bit dull for a Caribbean airline IMHO.

Still confused about why an airline that boasts about being Caribbean is so obsessed with purple. So the first CEO was British, so didnt appreciate Caribbean "warmth" as indicated by the bright colors reflected on most Caribbean national flags. He selected purple because this is the color of the WI cricket team (he was an avid cricket fan). Why the WI also likes purple when in their best days were noted for colorful plays is another topic.

New CEO with new branding and still this purple. How about the red which dominates the T&T flag, with splashes of gold which are in virtually all of the other flags of Caribbean destinations served by BW.

baje427

Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:31 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

I think this was from last year.

Brickell305

Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:54 pm

windian425 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

Source please?? Loop News Cayman Islands had this story yesterday but i suspect its old news from January 2021.. This would be devastating to the Caribbean Islands identified... I also note that it doesn't include FDF and PTP which are both operating this winter 2021/22.

baje427 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

This was indeed from last year. AC has no plan to suspend flights. https://www.narcity.com/air-canada-says ... date-mixup

caribbean484

Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:41 am

BW985 wrote:

No Wifi as you would see the a/c does not have the antenna dome
The BOB option was always going to come and IMO a better option for the airline.
New Uniforms

baje427

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 am

caribbean484 wrote:
BW985 wrote:

The BOB option was always going to come and IMO a better option for the airline.
New Uniforms

I thought they would have installed Wi-Fi perhaps it's too costly.

aa1818

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:57 pm

I understand from good sources that CAL is to get 9 737-Max8s.
So far we have seen 9Y-CAL, GUY, BAR, GRN, ANY and BAH. That leaves 3 more to come, assuming the information is correct.
I also heard there are two more ATRs to come but no timeline on their arrival at the moment.
AA1818

maverick4002

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:42 pm

aa1818 wrote:
So far we have seen 9Y-CAL, GUY, BAR, GRN, ANY and BAH. That leaves 3 more to come, assuming the information is correct.
I also heard there are two more ATRs to come but no timeline on their arrival at the moment.
AA1818

Three more, I would think they would would be named JAM, SXM and TTO? I feel I read somewhere the TT designations are already held by some other aircraft

windian425

Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:11 pm

This should make it easier for Brits to visit the Caribbean!
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-59876063

novarupta

Caribbean Aviation Thread - 2022

Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:28 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
windian425 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

baje427 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

This was indeed from last year. AC has no plan to suspend flights. https://www.narcity.com/air-canada-says ... date-mixup

They will indeed be suspending operations to some Caribbean destinations, from the 24th January until 30th April 2022 (attached is a screen capture of a notice via their app)

caribbean484

Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:05 am

aa1818 wrote:
AA1818

BW has come to an agreement with the leasing company for a temporary reduction is 9 until traffic picks up, to complete the 12 orders. JAM is the 7th, 8th is in final assembly. The other 3 can come at any time CAL sees fit, and get preference in assembly.
For the ATR I'm not sure about the other 2 but I believe they can source 2 more when needed.

baje427 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
BW985 wrote:

New Uniforms

I thought they would have installed Wi-Fi perhaps it's too costly.

I guess when there is a business case they will introduce it, and I believe we will see them have wifi in the future.

novarupta wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
windian425 wrote:

baje427 wrote:

They will indeed be suspending operations to some Caribbean destinations, from the 24th January until 30th April 2022 (attached is a screen capture of a notice via their app)

Did not see that coming

Caribbean007

Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:54 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

Punta Cana is not suspended, Santo Domingo Its the one suspended.

caribny

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:18 pm

Caribbean007 wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

Punta Cana is not suspended, Santo Domingo Its the one suspended.

I suspect 2 press releases are being conflated. One from last year and the new one.

AC seems to be maintaining its strongest destinations. MBJ, and PUJ and Varadero arent on the list. I also do not see BGI or UVF. Maybe a combination of volume and yield determine which destinations remain.

danipawa

Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Skycana is doing a lot of flights Cuba-SDQ/LRM-Nicaragua due the lack of direct flights from Cuba. Serving Camaguey, Holguin, Santiago de Cuba, Santa Clara and Havana.

Sky High is doing the same.

gunnerman

Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:09 pm

Apologies for any confusion. AC will be suspending flights from 24 January until 30 April 2022 to Antigua, Aruba, Samaná, Curaçao, Exuma, Grenada, Puerto Plata, Santo Domingo, Bermuda, Grand Cayman, Havana, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Saint Martin/Sint Maarten and Saint Kitts and Nevis.

BW600

Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:51 pm

Any idea whats the hold up in BW putting the MAX into service?
Seems counter intuitive to take delivery of not one but two new aircraft with planned entry into service after the peak travel period is over. These AC were sitting for months at Boeing’s factory completed and awaiting delivery. One would think they would have planned entry into service in time for the holiday peak.
Is it a case of TTCAA not approved it yet? Im hoping it isn't a training/ operations issue since that would just be bad planning on BW’s part. (Nothing new there)
BW struggled immensely these past few weeks on it’s GEO ops with diversions it seems due to high loads and strong head winds northbound. GEO-YYZ mostly affected. The MAX was sorely needed.

gunnerman

Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:53 pm

My understanding that the first MAX, which was delivered in November 2020, wasn't planned to be put into operation until this month. I suspect training issues as we all know that this aircraft is a bit different to its predecessors.

caribbean484

Sun Jan 09, 2022 11:38 pm

BW600 wrote:
Seems counter intuitive to take delivery of not one but two new aircraft with planned entry into service after the peak travel period is over. These AC were sitting for months at Boeing’s factory completed and awaiting delivery. One would think they would have planned entry into service in time for the holiday peak.
Is it a case of TTCAA not approved it yet? Im hoping it isn't a training/ operations issue since that would just be bad planning on BW’s part. (Nothing new there)
BW struggled immensely these past few weeks on it’s GEO ops with diversions it seems due to high loads and strong head winds northbound. GEO-YYZ mostly affected. The MAX was sorely needed.

From what I heard the MAX Operations have not been given final approval from the TTCAA to begin, so we have to wait a little longer to see them in operational service.
Yes, they seem to have a good winter as most flights were full or overbooked, and with the northern winds they had to do planned diversions in ANU or POS to ensure all pax and bags reached their final destination to NYC or YYZ. So the MAX is sorely missed.

caribny

Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:56 am

caribbean484 wrote:
BW600 wrote:

From what I heard the MAX Operations have not been given final approval from the TTCAA to begin, so we have to wait a little longer to see them in operational service.
Yes, they seem to have a good winter as most flights were full or overbooked, and with the northern winds they had to do planned diversions in ANU or POS to ensure all pax and bags reached their final destination to NYC or YYZ. So the MAX is sorely missed.

Well luckily for BW their competitors B6 and AA have had their share of cancelations/delays even though they have the MAX and the A321. The whole Omicron issue I assume. Wonder what is happening to JFK bound passengers on the canceled AA GEO JFK flights, unless the MIA flights has space, including the connections out to JFK from MIA. So inconvenience for passengers but limited market rep damage. Guyanese will likely be angry with all 3 carriers now.

maverick4002

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:03 am

BW600 wrote:

I believe it was to happen last week but got delayed. I've heard that it will happen later this week. I think its Friday but it could be Thursday. Two flights at that, the POS-MIA flight which leaves around 9am and then another flight in the afternoon on the same day. I think its the one to Toronto but cant recall if its direct or through Guyana.

Finally the next delivery is due I think on Friday as well. So alot of BW Max activity this week...maybe

maverick4002

Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:30 pm

BW just made an announcement....things looks to be kicking off on the 15th

https://www.facebook.com/caribbeanairli ... 403515651/

caribbean484

Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:03 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
BW600 wrote:

I believe it was to happen last week but got delayed. I've heard that it will happen later this week. I think its Friday but it could be Thursday. Two flights at that, the POS-MIA flight which leaves around 9am and then another flight in the afternoon on the same day. I think its the one to Toronto but cant recall if its direct or through Guyana.

Finally the next delivery is due I think on Friday as well. So alot of BW Max activity this week...maybe

I saw they launched their new marketing campaign and they showed 9Y-CAL in a preview video.

In other news according to this report Suriname authorities have denied BW request to operate to PBM because of stranded pax in 2020 due to boarders being closed.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it the GOTT and also Suriname that closed their boarders creating exemption lists at during the pandemic? It also said they denied GOL also fort he same reason.
https://barbadostoday.bb/2022/01/10/reg ... e-flights/

ItnStln

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:17 pm

gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

I don't find the Aruba flights surprising as there were a lot of codeshares with UA's flights to Aruba.

baje427

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:29 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
BW600 wrote:

I saw they launched their new marketing campaign and they showed 9Y-CAL in a preview video.

In other news according to this report Suriname authorities have denied BW request to operate to PBM because of stranded pax in 2020 due to boarders being closed.
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't it the GOTT and also Suriname that closed their boarders creating exemption lists at during the pandemic? It also said they denied GOL also fort he same reason.

Perhaps a move to protect what's left of PY?

Brickell305

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:02 pm

Per ThePointsGuy, B6 is making quite a few cuts that affect the Caribbean (and Bermuda) as some of the routes they added during the pandemic (some routes are from pre-pandemic) have not panned out:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

I also wonder if the EWR cuts are terminal construction related.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jetblue-b ... oute-cuts/

embraer175e2

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:47 pm

ItnStln wrote:
gunnerman wrote:

Cancun
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
Varadero
Antigua
Aruba
Barbados
Kingston
Nassau
Providenciales

I don't find the Aruba flights surprising as there were a lot of codeshares with UA's flights to Aruba.

This will be a lot of money losses for Air Canada.

ButterBawse

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:50 pm

maverick4002 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
AA1818

Three more, I would think they would would be named JAM, SXM and TTO? I feel I read somewhere the TT designations are already held by some other aircraft

SXM would not be used as a previous 737-800 used this reg.

ButterBawse

Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:56 pm

Third BW max (9Y-ANT) expected January 18th

windian425

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:31 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
Per ThePointsGuy, B6 is making quite a few cuts that affect the Caribbean (and Bermuda) as some of the routes they added during the pandemic (some routes are from pre-pandemic) have not panned out:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

When are these cuts effective from?

caribbean484

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:40 pm

baje427 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

Either way the way their CAA guy talks is ridiculous and TTCAA should restrict PY from operating into POS until there they have their act together.

Brickell305 wrote:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

I believe that the airlines are seeing normal behavior from pax as people are CARES act and other benefits are ending and flights/networks are coming back to normal operations. A lot of people last year were tired of staying home, had a lot in savings and decided to go on vacation. Add to that a lot of people were working from home so there were many flexibilities with working from a vacation spot. With many of those coming to an end the normal behavior is slowly returning. As a result a lots of the flights that were added are going to be reposition or cut to normal hubs.

It is surprising that B6 is cutting these routes like EWR-BGI/PAP, even BDA I though was going to be a good A220 route.

caribbean484

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:43 pm

ButterBawse wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
AA1818

JAM Already exists, so maybe STL(St Lucia), STV(St VIncent), STM(St Marteen), TRI, TOB, DOM, CUR, ARU.

INFINITI329

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:22 pm

I wonder if BW will get anything bigger than the Max 8. When travel fully rebounds the Max 9/10 may do BW well especially on the JFK & YYZ routes.

tphuang

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:22 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

Either way the way their CAA guy talks is ridiculous and TTCAA should restrict PY from operating into POS until there they have their act together.

Brickell305 wrote:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

I believe that the airlines are seeing normal behavior from pax as people are CARES act and other benefits are ending and flights/networks are coming back to normal operations. A lot of people last year were tired of staying home, had a lot in savings and decided to go on vacation. Add to that a lot of people were working from home so there were many flexibilities with working from a vacation spot. With many of those coming to an end the normal behavior is slowly returning. As a result a lots of the flights that were added are going to be reposition or cut to normal hubs.

It is surprising that B6 is cutting these routes like EWR-BGI/PAP, even BDA I though was going to be a good A220 route.

JFK-BDA is going seasonal I think. Only a few months without its service. It's still mostly bookable on jetblue.com. For the other ones, a lot of them really weren't scheduled to come back in summer time. These just made things official.

INFINITI329

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:27 pm

ButterBawse wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:
aa1818 wrote:
AA1818

What's stopping them from reusing it? The aircraft has left the TTCAA registry

Brickell305

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:27 pm

windian425 wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

When are these cuts effective from?

Appears to be from April 30.

gregarious119

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:35 pm

Brickell305 wrote:

EWR-STT

I have to imagine that United going head to head with JetBlue made it a tough climb for these routes. EWR likely has a much better connecting traffic base. We just did EWR-STT in Nov and I hardly thought to price out JetBlue not realizing they have a decent presence there (I still think of it as "United's airport").

caribbean484

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:35 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
ButterBawse wrote:
maverick4002 wrote:

What's stopping them from reusing it? The aircraft has left the TTCAA registry

It's more of a policy of BW to not reuse registrations; so for instance the pervious 737NGs used island IATA codes and will not be reused such as BGI, GND, POS, KIN, MBJ. As you see they are now using countries first three letters. JAM (Jamaica), BAR (Barbados) etc. I guess its gets them to be creative for their marketing when a new fleet is introduced.

Brickell305

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm

tphuang wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:

Brickell305 wrote:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

JFK-BDA is going seasonal I think. Only a few months without its service. It's still mostly bookable on jetblue.com. For the other ones, a lot of them really weren't scheduled to come back in summer time. These just made things official.

EWR-BGI is the most surprising to me. Wasn’t this a pre-pandemic route?

PAP I get. Haiti as a destination has serious issues right now.

ANU, I get as B6 seems to do less well there than they do to other similar Eastern Caribbean islands.

tphuang

Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:24 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

EWR-BGI is the most surprising to me. Wasn’t this a pre-pandemic route?

PAP I get. Haiti as a destination has serious issues right now.

ANU, I get as B6 seems to do less well there than they do to other similar Eastern Caribbean islands.

It was once weekly pre-COVID. I don't know how often they've flown that since COVID hit. But BGI as a whole have been seeing less capacity from B6. Their summer schedule is pretty weird. They got 9 flights a day from JFK to KIN/MBJ, but just 2x to BGI.

windian425

Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:00 pm

These cuts are also a stripping of the Scott Lawrence Legacy at B6. He was instrumental in opening these routes.
Cutting EWR-BGI is also surprising as it's a Saturday only operation anyway.

caribny

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 pm

caribbean484 wrote:
baje427 wrote:
caribbean484 wrote:

Brickell305 wrote:

JFK-BDA
EWR-ANU
EWR-BGI
EWR-PAP
EWR-STT
PHL-SJU
RDU-SJU

The notion that PBM is complaining about BW is a joke, given that it was BW which had to temporarily bail out stranded PY passengers when they lost their planes.

This is a bold faced attempt to protect PY and it isnt going to work because T&T will retaliate. PBM actually needs BW more than POS needs PY.

caribbean484

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:26 pm

The first MAX flight will be on the 14th loaded in the GDS between POS-KIN-POS.

windian425 wrote:
These cuts are also a stripping of the Scott Lawrence Legacy at B6. He was instrumental in opening these routes.
Cutting EWR-BGI is also surprising as it's a Saturday only operation anyway.

I guess so considering DL announced him today and B6 pulled the plug on some of these flights. Lets see what the Northeast Alliance will do also from his departure as he was said to be the brainchild of that strategy.

caribny

Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:37 pm

tphuang wrote:

It was once weekly pre-COVID. I don't know how often they've flown that since COVID hit. But BGI as a whole have been seeing less capacity from B6. Their summer schedule is pretty weird. They got 9 flights a day from JFK to KIN/MBJ, but just 2x to BGI.

2x daily to BGI is within pre pandemic norms. BGI has a much smaller VFR in the NY area than does Jamaica, and its leisure market (especially that in the summer) is less US oriented. B6 is also attempting to blast out the competition on NY Jamaica routes, it seems quite clear. Doubt that DL will resume its JFK KIN or will AA get similar ideas. I guess BW will hang on doggedly to that route as its the only one to North America out of Jamaica with decent year round performance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos