Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

casperCA

Re: Westjet airport staff vote to strike

Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:10 pm

YYZatcboy wrote:
casperCA wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Start $15.55 CAD an hour, topping out at $23.87 an hour after seven years

Minimum wage in BC is $15.65. In BC minimum wage is indexed to inflation. So you would expect that bottom to be 8% higher this time next year.

BC Minimum wage likely wouldn't apply, it would be federal minimum wage which is currently 15.55.

Yes, airlines being federally regulated.

Good luck to WestJet hiring someone at below the minimum wage in Vancouver.

alasizon

Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:27 pm

casperCA wrote:
YYZatcboy wrote:
casperCA wrote:

Minimum wage in BC is $15.65. In BC minimum wage is indexed to inflation. So you would expect that bottom to be 8% higher this time next year.

BC Minimum wage likely wouldn't apply, it would be federal minimum wage which is currently 15.55.

Yes, airlines being federally regulated.

Good luck to WestJet hiring someone at below the minimum wage in Vancouver.

I'm not sure that the current ten cent difference fully will dissuade someone. However, once you start talking thirty to fifty cents difference, people start reconsidering.

ACDC8

Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:50 pm

Are these jobs even full time? I know that a lot of airlines (and other sectors) don't like to hire full time for employee costs.

Regardless, good on the employees. Enough is enough, anyone who works a full time job should be able to provide at least the bare necessities such as food and shelter and if the cost of living is higher in one city than another, employers need to start coughing up.

Not wanting to go to far off topic, but grocery stores here in Canada are a prime example, over the last two quarters, grocery store costs (including transportation, wage increases, etc) has gone up about 13% but their prices have gone up 21% plus and not one penny will be going to the employees as usual.

Acey

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:21 am

ACDC8 wrote:
Are these jobs even full time?

Can only speak for YYC but it's a mix of both full time and part time there for WS customer service.

multimark

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:31 am

What a sad come down from the days the airline built their reputation on "Westjetters care". If you don't care about your employees, why should they care about customers?

777luver

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:42 am

multimark wrote:
What a sad come down from the days the airline built their reputation on "Westjetters care". If you don't care about your employees, why should they care about customers?

Westjet has not cared since Onex bought them, they’ve gone downhill and for anyone who was naive enough to think otherwise…..well here’s the proof. Onex wants an ROI, nothing else matters.

XRadar98

Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:55 am

ac190 wrote:
Good on them, it’s about time.

AC starts at 16.60$ and topping out at around 31$. Add into the fact no organized pension and health benefits that keep getting trimmed every year it’s a wonder why anyone would stay with WJ at customer service level.

I’m curious, as I have not seen any reply to your post about health benefits getting trimmed. I thought Canada has universal health care, is that not the case?

cylw

Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:04 am

XRadar98 wrote:
ac190 wrote:

AC starts at 16.60$ and topping out at around 31$. Add into the fact no organized pension and health benefits that keep getting trimmed every year it’s a wonder why anyone would stay with WJ at customer service level.

I’m curious, as I have not seen any reply to your post about health benefits getting trimmed. I thought Canada has universal health care, is that not the case?

We have universal health care for basic things like doctors visits, hospital care, surgeries etc. We have to pay out of pocket for things beyond that (dentist, eye care, prescriptions, massage etc.). These extended benefits are usually part of employment where the company will pay at least part of the cost. employees at many companies pay monthly premiums.

Skywatcher

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:43 pm

cylw wrote:
XRadar98 wrote:
ac190 wrote:

We have universal health care for basic things like doctors visits, hospital care, surgeries etc. We have to pay out of pocket for things beyond that (dentist, eye care, prescriptions, massage etc.). These extended benefits are usually part of employment where the company will pay at least part of the cost. employees at many companies pay monthly premiums.

Usually the split for the "non-essential" medical costs covered by private health plans are split 50/50 (employer/employee). There is usually a life insurance component included as well.

casperCA

Fri Jul 22, 2022 2:52 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
cylw wrote:
XRadar98 wrote:

Usually the split for the "non-essential" medical costs covered by private health plans are split 50/50 (employer/employee). There is usually a life insurance component included as well.

The ones I have had over the years have also include Foreign Travel Insurance, some type of family wellness plan (e.g. family/marriage counseling etc.). Some type of disability pension beyond that provided by government through the universal program.

Aresxerexade

Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:15 am

There will be no strike at WestJet this week now that the airline has reached a tentative labour deal with the union representing hundreds of workers at the Calgary and Vancouver airports. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6530802

Hockeyfan125

Re: The WestJet Thread - 2022

Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:09 pm

WestJet has cut Calgary YYC - London Gatwick (LGW) for the Winter, after it’s increasing flights to London Heathrow (LHR) instead.
Not too surprised by it.

As YYC - Europe during the Winter season is less busier compared to Summers.

YYC - Hawaii & Mexico has demand during Winters & is where the WS 787’s will be flying & also YYC to Toronto YYZ too.

Acey

Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 pm

AirframeAS wrote:
Any chance that we will ever see a DEN-YYZ route anytime soon? I'd LOVE to see that!!!

Certainly not mainline any time soon, given what I observe to be the only mediocre performance of DEN-YYC. Especially not with the eastern drawdown.

Skywatcher

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:29 am

Does anybody have any idea how many employees will become redundant with the imminent eastern wind-down by Westjet?
This could be an easy way for AC to recruit new already trained DH-4/737-Max/789 staff?

hollywoodcory

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:23 am

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
WestJet has cut Calgary YYC - London Gatwick (LGW) for the Winter, after it’s increasing flights to London Heathrow (LHR) instead.
Not too surprised by it.

YYC - Hawaii & Mexico has demand during Winters & is where the WS 787’s will be flying & also YYC to Toronto YYZ too.

Also YYZ-LGW has been dropped entirely.

Additionally bookings for YYC-CDG in March/Early April 23 have been limited to just full fare J/W/Y class. I’ve long thought this route was bound for year-round status but now it appears to be getting a shorter season?

Whiteguy

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:09 am

Skywatcher wrote:
Does anybody have any idea how many employees will become redundant with the imminent eastern wind-down by Westjet?
This could be an easy way for AC to recruit new already trained DH-4/737-Max/789 staff?

None. There is a shift of capacity from east to west but Westjet is not completely leaving the east.

YEGFlyer

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:47 am

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
Not too surprised by it.

Surprised they would remain at LHR- LGW is more compatible with their new positioning.

Not surprised to see CDG shortened season... maybe they'll try Orly. Or deploy the aircraft to 3 other destinations operating 1x weekly?

casperCA

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:17 am

YEGFlyer wrote:
Hockeyfan125 wrote:
Not too surprised by it.

Surprised they would remain at LHR- LGW is more compatible with their new positioning.

Not surprised to see CDG shortened season... maybe they'll try Orly. Or deploy the aircraft to 3 other destinations operating 1x weekly?

I think LHR makes the most sense for them.

These recent press release talks about growth at Swoop and Sunwings. If Sunwing had widebody aircraft (which would be very unlikely now), then LGW and Orly make sense.

For WestJet proper it sounds like they still want to keep that as a full service network airline just with a focus of serving Western Canada. LHR make more sense for the WestJet brand.

Aresxerexade

Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:31 am

casperCA wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:
Hockeyfan125 wrote:
Not too surprised by it.

I think LHR makes the most sense for them.

These recent press release talks about growth at Swoop and Sunwings. If Sunwing had widebody aircraft (which would be very unlikely now), then LGW and Orly make sense.

For WestJet proper it sounds like they still want to keep that as a full service network airline just with a focus of serving Western Canada. LHR make more sense for the WestJet brand.

I agree with this. Even Japan Airlines is shifting focus to leisure demand ,as world wide many airlines are anticipating leisure demand to pull them through vs traditional business travel for the next little while. WS is pausing intl capacity expansion with their wide bodies , it is not reverting back and restructuring to become swoop. Once the world economy improves , I can see them branch out into the world. Right now it is a matter of recouping losses from the pandemic and returning money to Onex.

Skywatcher

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:48 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

None. There is a shift of capacity from east to west but Westjet is not completely leaving the east.

Huh? How can they cancel dozens of DH-4 flights at the very least and not have a few hundred no longer required staff? Are all the redundant YYZ staff expected to move to YYC?

Aresxerexade

Tue Jul 26, 2022 1:53 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

Huh? How can they cancel dozens of DH-4 flights at the very least and not have a few hundred no longer required staff? Are all the redundant YYZ staff expected to move to YYC?

I believe they will flow from Encore yyz base through to mainline yyz base

YYCFlier

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 pm

That leaves potentially 6 frames (if 7th is delivered) free for winter.

Whiteguy

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:55 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

On the flight crew side most will move within the company, YYZ based 787 crews will either move to YYC base, which some have done already. Some will just return to the 737. Encore crews will flow up to mainline or Swoop if they can. Reduction will also help with CSA numbers as they are short staffed, the flights shrink to the staffing levels.

Whiteguy

Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:57 pm

YYCFlier wrote:
That leaves potentially 6 frames (if 7th is delivered) free for winter.

Routes planned for the winter so far are YYZ, LHR, PVR, CUN and OGG from YYC.

Skywatcher

Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:44 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

On the flight crew side most will move within the company, YYZ based 787 crews will either move to YYC base, which some have done already. Some will just return to the 737. Encore crews will flow up to mainline or Swoop if they can. Reduction will also help with CSA numbers as they are short staffed, the flights shrink to the staffing levels.

I'm still having trouble following this logic. Encore crews/staff for flights that are now operating will be cut but they will be transferred to flights that aren't operating because of short staffing?

Are you saying that non DH-4 flights (737 presumably) will replace capacity cuts resulting from the Encore elimination in the East?
That would mean there is no net reduction to services doesn't it? How does the elimination of YQB/YFC etc. fit into that scenario? Will there be increases elsewhere?

Whiteguy

Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:24 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:

I'm still having trouble following this logic. Encore crews/staff for flights that are now operating will be cut but they will be transferred to flights that aren't operating because of short staffing?

Are you saying that non DH-4 flights (737 presumably) will replace capacity cuts resulting from the Encore elimination in the East?
That would mean there is no net reduction to services doesn't it? How does the elimination of YQB/YFC etc. fit into that scenario? Will there be increases elsewhere?

Basically 10ish Q400s are not operating, on paper, because of crew shortages. You will see a shift of Qs moving out west, I believe all of them but not positive. Plans are fluid as always. Capacity will be replaced with jets out east, as an example instead of 7 or 8 Qs a day YYZ-YUL you will see 2-3 737s operating the route. You will also see more point to point service like YQR-PHX or YYJ-CUN return, plus southern flights out east. There is talk of a substantial order of narrowbodies set to be announced, not sure when or which aircraft. The only question is where they will end up, Westjet, Swoop or Sunwing if the purchase is approved.

Of course this is all subject to change…

YEGFlyer

Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:35 pm

Perusing WS current fleet, I was surprised by the number of non-max 737s they operate. How much of a cost disadvantage is this, when competition mostly operates maxes?

Whiteguy

Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:46 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
Perusing WS current fleet, I was surprised by the number of non-max 737s they operate. How much of a cost disadvantage is this, when competition mostly operates maxes?

There’s definitely a cost advantage for those operating an all MAX fleet but WS definitely has a larger route structure then them.

Acey

Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:13 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:

Overall operating cost reduction vs the NG was advertised as 7-10% so that gives you a rough idea. Excluding AC obviously, don't forget the extra revenue per seat from having a premium front cabin.

Aresxerexade

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:00 am

WestJet announced an extension of its partnership with MedAire. As the first airline in North America to fully leverage the MedAire In-Flight App, WestJet cabin personnel now have multiple ways to connect with MedLink doctors during a medical emergency, with the latest method through its onboard wifi connectivity. Cabin personnel will able to speak directly to medical staff through their company provided crew tablets and headset and seamlessly provide passenger medical information directly from the medaire app.

“The first fifteen minutes of a medical incident are the most critical to administer care, and through our efforts to prioritize safety above all, we are committed to providing our cabin crew with the best tools possible to assist our guests in the event of an emergency situation,” said Dr Tammy McKnight, WestJet Chief Medical Officer. “Through the efforts of our operational teams, the deployment of the MedAire In-Flight App will reduce the amount of time it takes to connect with a first responder and greatly improve the likelihood of a positive outcome.”

https://financialpost.com/globe-newswir ... 694c0/amp/

Excellent work in adding to passenger safety WS group!

Dominion301

Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:54 pm

Aresxerexade wrote:
There will be no strike at WestJet this week now that the airline has reached a tentative labour deal with the union representing hundreds of workers at the Calgary and Vancouver airports. https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6530802

Amazing how the threat of a strike gave the company a swift kick in the pants to get a deal done after stalling for so long. Good on the workers and the union for reaching a deal.

YYCFlier

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:09 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:

WS has been slow to renew the fleet, but I can't blame them. They are all-Boeing and the MAXes were grounded, then delayed by FAA and same with the 789s.

I really hope to see an Embraer 175/195 order soon. They need jets with this range and lower seats.

BillyD

Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:45 pm

YYCFlier wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:

WS has been slow to renew the fleet, but I can't blame them. They are all-Boeing and the MAXes were grounded, then delayed by FAA and same with the 789s.

I really hope to see an Embraer 175/195 order soon. They need jets with this range and lower seats.

I'd like to see an Airbus A220 order myself.

YYCFlier

Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:24 pm

BillyD wrote:

Unlikely for a few reasons:

1) Airbus 220 has lots of orders already which means slower delivery time.
2) WestJet has an all Boeing mainline fleet and has never considered any order from Airbus.
3) Embraer 175 could go to Encore.
4) Embraer likely to discount more than Airbus due to less demand.
5) Due to popularity with EMB175 for US regionals possible to pick some used E1 jets from lessors.

YYZatcboy

Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:03 pm

YYCFlier wrote:
BillyD wrote:

Unlikely for a few reasons:

1) Airbus 220 has lots of orders already which means slower delivery time.
2) WestJet has an all Boeing mainline fleet and has never considered any order from Airbus.
3) Embraer 175 could go to Encore.
4) Embraer likely to discount more than Airbus due to less demand.
5) Due to popularity with EMB175 for US regionals possible to pick some used E1 jets from lessors.

In re point 1 that's speculation. Manufacturers are usually able to swap or free up slots for delivery for important customers. A major order from WestJet would probably get earlier slots.
In re pont 2 thats not true. A330s were allegedly almost on the property until Boeing swooped in and dumped 767s for practically free. Further, the A220 is arguably a Bombardier product and WestJet has plenty of those on the property.
In re point 3 that's also not true, Encore is only allowed to fly turboprops due to the pilot/dispatcher union contracts
In re point 4 that's speculation. I think that Airbus would be thrilled to get a substantial order from WestJet and would discount heavily to get their foot in the door.
In re point 5, the E175/70 has been dumped repeatedly due to costs by other airlines such as Aeromexico and Air Canada. Why would WestJet get a more expensive plane that everyone else rejected. That's just going down the 767 route again.

If WestJet gets an Embraer I think it would be more likely to get the E2, but again since they sell so poorly that doesn't seem like a good investment to me for resale/lease terms. I don't know that the A220 is substantially better, but I think with the support of Airbus it is more likely to have better long term value.

I'd say the A220 at WestJet is more likely than an Embraer, but would put the odds at 60/40 in favour of the A220.

hollywoodcory

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:27 am

Winter schedule got filed in the OAG tonight and I see the 789 scheduled on YYC-YYZ/LHR/CUN/PVR/OGG and HNL.

CDG now resumes in April instead of March.

Boeing7379

Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:29 pm

I know in the past you could find Westjets flight schedule on their website, but I cannot seem to find it anymore. Anyone have a link to this information?

Acey

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:05 pm

Boeing7379 wrote:
I know in the past you could find Westjets flight schedule on their website, but I cannot seem to find it anymore. Anyone have a link to this information?

This page is the new version of what I believe you're referring to: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/direct-flights

Boeing7379

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:15 pm

Acey wrote:
Boeing7379 wrote:

This page is the new version of what I believe you're referring to: https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/direct-flights

Thanks! Just had to paly around with it to get it to work for YQR... With Westjet focusing more on Western Canada will the Winter schedule be adjusted for more routes?

Dominion301

Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:57 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Winter schedule got filed in the OAG tonight and I see the 789 scheduled on YYC-YYZ/LHR/CUN/PVR/OGG and HNL.

See any “substantial increase in eastern leisure flying” like they were claiming a few weeks ago with the Qs heading west?

by738

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:05 pm

Im sorry to see GLA-YHZ go. Halifax is a lovely destination in its own right even outwith connections and only 5hrs or so flight time! Obviously YYZ has taken over.

Aresxerexade

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:07 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

See any “substantial increase in eastern leisure flying” like they were claiming a few weeks ago with the Qs heading west?

Isn’t that supposed to be announced with their upcoming winter schedule announcement next week?

hollywoodcory

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:15 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I still see the Q scheduled on eastern routes in the winter?

YYZ-CUN is also on the 787 as well.

IceCream

Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:43 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I still see the Q scheduled on eastern routes in the winter?

YYZ-CUN is also on the 787 as well.

I guess we'll see later this week. I'd assume there'd be some major changes out east, maybe even in the west? I wonder if the Q400 permanently stays on YYZ-YQT but flies some sort of YWG-YQT-YYZ-YQT-YWG routing?

Acey

Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:34 am

Boeing7379 wrote:
Acey wrote:
Boeing7379 wrote:

Thanks! Just had to paly around with it to get it to work for YQR... With Westjet focusing more on Western Canada will the Winter schedule be adjusted for more routes?

We'll have to wait and see. I fear "west focus" really just means "YYC focus" but at the very least it shouldn't be a detriment to YQR.

Whiteguy

Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:41 am

hollywoodcory wrote:

LGW should be in there also…

JannEejit

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:35 am

by738 wrote:
Im sorry to see GLA-YHZ go. Halifax is a lovely destination in its own right even outwith connections and only 5hrs or so flight time! Obviously YYZ has taken over.

Is that confirmed ? A pilot post upthread seems to suggest YHZ-Europe will continue.

by738

Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:47 am

JannEejit wrote:
by738 wrote:

Is that confirmed ? A pilot post upthread seems to suggest YHZ-Europe will continue.

Assuming AeroRoutes has credibility and noting it is preliminary, the S23 schedule is listed below (no YHZ).
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220806-wsns23eu

JannEejit

Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:15 am

by738 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
by738 wrote:

Assuming AeroRoutes has credibility and noting it is preliminary, the S23 schedule is listed below (no YHZ).
https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/220806-wsns23eu

Interesting thanks. Yes it will be a shame to see it go and undoubtedly a bigger blow to Halifax assuming all of it's WestJet' European links are pulled.

hollywoodcory

Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:48 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

LGW should be in there also…

I see LGW resumes April 29. CDG April 13.