Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IceCream

Re: The WestJet Thread - 2022

Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:29 pm

wjv04 wrote:
b777900 wrote:
What about any new US expansion Like BWI,IAD,RIC?

I wouldn't expect any of those destinations, particularly from YYC.

Yeah I'm not really sure which US destinations they're talking about. I don't see a lot of potential for new US routes from YYC, mostly just capacity and frequency increases on existing routes.

Acey

Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:40 pm

I've heard no rumours or rumblings of any sort, but I imagine the next US launch from YYC might be one of DFW or ORD, both of which have been served before. WS has pushed out AC/UA to become #1 to IAH.

BML87

Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:47 pm

I wonder if (hope) they'll give YYC-MEX another go.

IceCream

Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:16 pm

BML87 wrote:
I wonder if (hope) they'll give YYC-MEX another go.

I was thinking the same thing. AM tried it and then WS tried it and then AM tried it again, so there's some sort of market there but it wasn't working for some reason. Considering YVR/YUL/YYZ have 3-4x daily flights each I'm sure a single daily YYC flight could work out. Considering their increased western focus I think it's possible we'll see it back with an AM codeshare.

Acey wrote:
I've heard no rumours or rumblings of any sort, but I imagine the next US launch from YYC might be one of DFW or ORD, both of which have been served before. WS has pushed out AC/UA to become #1 to IAH.

ORD is definitely a possibility but I wonder if DFW without AA is a large enough market. But if AC can make it work from YVR maybe WS can from YYC?

Acey

Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:42 pm

WS' problem with dipping their toes in markets beyond the range of a Q is their lack of a regional jet, or a small jet of any sort.

I'd have to think WS would already be flying to DFW or ORD or both if they have a E175/CR9.

hollywoodcory

Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:51 pm

I'm curious if they'll give AUS another try. It's the only pre-Covid/2019 US destination from YYC that didn't come back.

YYCFlier

Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:41 am

Acey wrote:
WS' problem with dipping their toes in markets beyond the range of a Q is their lack of a regional jet, or a small jet of any sort.

I'd have to think WS would already be flying to DFW or ORD or both if they have a E175/CR9.

It's funny you mention this because when they mentioned they were going to announce a "substantial narrowbody order" I thought it would be the E175. Announcing a jet bigger than anything they fly already, with a questionable certification deadline was not what I expected. Where will they fly the 7M10?

Acey

Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:17 pm

YYCFlier wrote:
Where will they fly the 7M10?

Their trunk routes, I would suspect... I'm not expecting anything exciting. YYZ-YVR/YYC, YVR-LAX, YYC-ATL, that kind of thing. They'll move them around as required to meet demand.

b777900

Mon Oct 31, 2022 9:54 pm

NO one has IAD YYC NS that could work for Westjet capitalize on that market. use 737 max8cap

YEGFlyer

Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:12 pm

Acey wrote:
YYCFlier wrote:

Their trunk routes, I would suspect... I'm not expecting anything exciting. YYZ-YVR/YYC, YVR-LAX, YYC-ATL, that kind of thing. They'll move them around as required to meet demand.

The only transborder route that might be called "trunk" is LAS in my opinion.

Real trunk routes for WS (after western refocusing) are I think limited those routes between YVR, YYC, YEG, YYZ.

Acey

Mon Oct 31, 2022 10:16 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
Acey wrote:
YYCFlier wrote:

The only transborder route that might be called "trunk" is LAS in my opinion.

Real trunk routes for WS (after western refocusing) are I think limited those routes between YVR, YYC, YEG, YYZ.

You're entitled to that opinion, I say YVR-LAX because I know the loads on YVR-LAX and it certainly might be a good route for MAX 10.

b777900 wrote:
NO one has IAD YYC NS that could work for Westjet capitalize on that market. use 737 max8cap

It's simply not a huge market to capitalize on with pretty much no DL support on the east end. BOS is barely working.

IceCream

Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:28 pm

https://www.flightglobal.com/airframers ... 06.article

If it is certified by early 2024 I assume there's not much of an impact on WS.

EdmFlyBoi

Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:02 pm

IceCream wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/why-westjet-must-change/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox_SF&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1666897230

"We can't be everything to everyone. We must focus. Where we can do things and succeed, we will. Calgary is exactly that. It is our strongest market. It is a challenge to refocus and there's a way to go.

We'll develop a really strong hub in Calgary, which will also help us to compete against the ULCCs by having a better value proposition by offering a broader range of destinations. It'll give us more competitive strength.

We'll grow our network into the US and potentially also Asia [from Calgary] at some point. But, we're keen to protect existing slots at other Canadian airports, especially at Toronto Pearson [it's unclear where exactly it'll fly from there in the future].

Things will look different, Satusky says. Yes, it has paused its widebody fleet at seven, but all "intercontinental" 787 flights will be from Calgary. This suggests that Toronto and Vancouver to London will end, freeing up equipment to fly from Calgary. "

I am not sure I understand why WS doesn't further integrate themselves into Skyteam. They have resubmitted the JV with Delta and are codesharing with KLM out of AMS. They do have a very strong market in YYC (and less so in YEG). With the further development of their international route structure from YYC, doesn't it make a lot of sense to do so? Or are they waiting for the JV to go through?

IceCream

Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:04 am

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
IceCream wrote:
https://simpleflying.com/why-westjet-must-change/?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_campaign=Echobox_SF&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1666897230

"We can't be everything to everyone. We must focus. Where we can do things and succeed, we will. Calgary is exactly that. It is our strongest market. It is a challenge to refocus and there's a way to go.

We'll develop a really strong hub in Calgary, which will also help us to compete against the ULCCs by having a better value proposition by offering a broader range of destinations. It'll give us more competitive strength.

We'll grow our network into the US and potentially also Asia [from Calgary] at some point. But, we're keen to protect existing slots at other Canadian airports, especially at Toronto Pearson [it's unclear where exactly it'll fly from there in the future].

Things will look different, Satusky says. Yes, it has paused its widebody fleet at seven, but all "intercontinental" 787 flights will be from Calgary. This suggests that Toronto and Vancouver to London will end, freeing up equipment to fly from Calgary. "

I am not sure I understand why WS doesn't further integrate themselves into Skyteam. They have resubmitted the JV with Delta and are codesharing with KLM out of AMS. They do have a very strong market in YYC (and less so in YEG). With the further development of their international route structure from YYC, doesn't it make a lot of sense to do so? Or are they waiting for the JV to go through?

When WS was asked your question a couple of years back they said that integrating themselves into the alliance had a lot of associated costs and complexities that were not worth the perceived benefits. To be fair, by codesharing with the major carriers (JV with DL and the codeshares with AF/KL/KE) they get most of those benefits without those costs.

cirrusdragoon

Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:12 am

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
IceCream wrote:

I must have missed that they resubmitted their JV, when was this? I remember this https://www.flightglobal.com/strategy/w ... 41.article but this was under a previous priority. I think right now with the priority is regaining a financial foothold first and foremost.

casperCA

Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:06 am

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
IceCream wrote:

They also have some codeshare with oneworld member airlines.

hollywoodcory

Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:17 pm

WS begins codesharing with JL on YVR-NRT beginning November 10th.

WS5901 (JL018) NRT - YVR
WS5909 (JL017) YVR - NRT

This makes NRT the 2nd Asian destination bookable through WS (via codeshare) following ICN. It currently isn't bookable on WS website but shows in the GDS. (Might be formally announced tomorrow).

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221106-wsjlcodeshare

Aresxerexade

Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:07 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
WS begins codesharing with JL on YVR-NRT beginning November 10th.

WS5901 (JL018) NRT - YVR
WS5909 (JL017) YVR - NRT

This makes NRT the 2nd Asian destination bookable through WS (via codeshare) following ICN. It currently isn't bookable on WS website but shows in the GDS. (Might be formally announced tomorrow).

https://www.aeroroutes.com/eng/221106-wsjlcodeshare

Fantastic to see this come to fruition! Well done WS.

EADSYABSOB73857

Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:28 am

Anyone know how well the YYC-BOS flight did this year? WS is leaving YYZ-BOS- not good given their tie-up with DL. Others have alluded WS is barely hanging on in BOS. Curious to know how the YYC flight did this year.

hollywoodcory

Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:08 am

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:
Anyone know how well the YYC-BOS flight did this year? WS is leaving YYZ-BOS- not good given their tie-up with DL. Others have alluded WS is barely hanging on in BOS. Curious to know how the YYC flight did this year.

Can’t speak to how the flight did this summer, but in a recent schedule update they extended the S23 season of YYC-BOS to the end of October (instead of just beginning of Sept).

IceCream

Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:43 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

Can’t speak to how the flight did this summer, but in a recent schedule update they extended the S23 season of YYC-BOS to the end of October (instead of just beginning of Sept).

And I'd assume they did that with most of their other seasonal YYC routes, since they were all flown for a shorter period of time (end of June-early Sept) this year compared to pre pandemic?

hollywoodcory

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:05 am

IceCream wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

And I'd assume they did that with most of their other seasonal YYC routes, since they were all flown for a shorter period of time (end of June-early Sept) this year compared to pre pandemic?

Nope, that was the only one that ended in September this year that's been extended for now (that I can see).

LAXintl

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:36 am

COO message after a difficult weekend.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2022 ... perating-o

IceCream

Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:49 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
IceCream wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Nope, that was the only one that ended in September this year that's been extended for now (that I can see).

Interesting. At least it seems like some changes are starting to be made. For Europe I'm assuming they're waiting until the slot conference happens before making any changes?

hollywoodcory

Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:39 pm

Seems WS might be exiting YYZ-Europe entirely, as GLA/DUB and EDI have been limited to full fare W / Y class bookings.

Acey

Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:08 pm

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

From what I've seen, loads have been fine, right in line with YYC-JFK and YYC-ATL most weeks. Unless there's some extraneous costs associated with the BOS operation that I don't know about, I have no reason to believe it's just barely hanging on.

Dominion301

Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:11 am

EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

With the last of the Dash 8s gone from the east after this spring, it’s inevitable that YYZ-BOS would be a goner. YXU-YYZ must be living on borrowed time.

That’s also why the likes of YFC/YYG/YQB/YQY will return as they can support 1-2 daily 737s during peak season. Will be interesting to see if WS resume YQY-YHZ or if it’ll be YQY-YYZ or both.

IceCream

Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:37 am

Dominion301 wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

With the last of the Dash 8s gone from the east after this spring, it’s inevitable that YYZ-BOS would be a goner. YXU-YYZ must be living on borrowed time.

That’s also why the likes of YFC/YYG/YQB/YQY will return as they can support 1-2 daily 737s during peak season. Will be interesting to see if WS resume YQY-YHZ or if it’ll be YQY-YYZ or both.

YYG/YQB/YQY/YQM could probably be done from YYZ in the peak summer as leisure/VFR routes. I don't see them resuming YQY-YHZ in the near future.

Is there a chance YQT-YYZ stays on the Q400 and is the only encore route out of YYZ? There wouldn't be much difficulty doing something like YWG-YQT-YYZ-YQT-YWG.

Dominion301

Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:06 am

IceCream wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
EADSYABSOB73857 wrote:

YYG/YQB/YQY/YQM could probably be done from YYZ in the peak summer as leisure/VFR routes. I don't see them resuming YQY-YHZ in the near future.

Is there a chance YQT-YYZ stays on the Q400 and is the only encore route out of YYZ? There wouldn't be much difficulty doing something like YWG-YQT-YYZ-YQT-YWG.

Unless they do a sudden about face regarding the Dashes in the east, I think YWG-YQT will be the farthest east the DH4s go and YYZ-YQT will go to a daily 737 in winter and double daily in summer. I have never understood why WS hasn’t ever brought back YQT-YYC at least as a 3x weekly on a summer seasonal basis. If WS’ western buildup and YYC fortifications are true and not just empty platitudes (like their eastern winter leisure hype was that did little more than restore service to winter 2019-20 levels), then surely YQT-YYC would be added to feed the fortress. Will also be interesting to see if F8 succeeds in filling a capacity void with their twice weekly YQT-YOW route. I have a feeling it’ll succeed. I thought they were nuts this past summer to launch YOW-YYG with 189 seats to fill vs AC’s daily DH4 and yet next summer is already loaded and with an extra weekly frequency to boot.

Just a point of clarification, YQM-YYZ wasn’t suspended for winter 2022-23 but ops < daily.

Acey

Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:50 am

I think there was discussion about whether or not YYC-CUN/PVR justified the 787.

YYC-CUN today is 2x 738 + 1x 787 for 668 seats.

PVR is 1x 738 + 1x 787 for 494 seats.

1,162 seats. Zero are open.

hollywoodcory

Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:07 pm

Based on the initial coordination reports, WS filed for slots to launch YYC-EDI and DXB in S23.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... QwYjY3YiJ9

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... ortSection

Also appears they got daily year-round slots at LHR as well.

CrewBunk

Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:53 pm

Acey wrote:
I think there was discussion about whether or not YYC-CUN/PVR justified the 787.

CUN is always a busy destination. AC sends Big Bertha (the 450 seat Triple) down there daily from YYZ and YUL, in addition to Rouge. There’s rarely an empty seat.

Yes, one could say it’s a waste of a very capable airframe …. or it’s an easy way to move a lot of people at a time. Good on WS to keep the 787 busy during an otherwise slow time.

IceCream

Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:59 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Based on the initial coordination reports, WS filed for slots to launch YYC-EDI and DXB in S23.

It says there's an increase on the Toronto route, so maybe they do keep YYZ-EDI?

Maybe DXB ends up happening, but they've applied for slots so many times.

Any news on AMS slots?

jimbo737

Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:55 pm

I’m looking for YYC - BCN and ATH next summer.

EdmFlyBoi

Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:34 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

I don't really understand the DXB slot application. DXB would be all O&D at the DXB end with AC and EK working closely together. YYC-NRT would make more sense with the cooperation with JAL. No idea what the AC loads were like YYC-NRT when they ran the route but it seem to make more sense for WS to launch routes where there is onward connections (like what they are doing with AMS).

cirrusdragoon

Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:43 pm

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I don't really understand the DXB slot application. DXB would be all O&D at the DXB end with AC and EK working closely together. YYC-NRT would make more sense with the cooperation with JAL. No idea what the AC loads were like YYC-NRT when they ran the route but it seem to make more sense for WS to launch routes where there is onward connections (like what they are doing with AMS).

WS and EK are still
codeshare partners. Nothing has been cancelled. https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/tra ... s/westjet/

ddp

Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:50 am

cirrusdragoon wrote:
EdmFlyBoi wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

WS and EK are still
codeshare partners. Nothing has been cancelled. https://www.emirates.com/ca/english/tra ... s/westjet/

In Western Canada a lot of flight options are via EK in Los Angelas after you connect on West Jet via Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton.

Dominion301

Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:54 am

hollywoodcory wrote:

Interestingly for the LGW report, WS have no noted decreases in slots, however, YHZ is zeroed out.

IceCream

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:50 am

Acey

Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:31 am

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
No idea what the AC loads were like YYC-NRT when they ran the route but it seem to make more sense for WS to launch routes where there is onward connections (like what they are doing with AMS).

AC loads on YYC-NRT were generally strong but it was mostly a 211-seat 763 with some stretches of 788.

WS has 320 seats.

CrewBunk

Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:46 pm

Acey wrote:
EdmFlyBoi wrote:
No idea what the AC loads were like YYC-NRT when they ran the route but it seem to make more sense for WS to launch routes where there is onward connections (like what they are doing with AMS).

AC loads on YYC-NRT were generally strong but it was mostly a 211-seat 763 with some stretches of 788.

WS has 320 seats.

Also, if you recall, J demand was very strong on the route. The 23 seat J cabin of the 767 did not quite satisfy demand. Anecdotal, I acknowledge, but I remember an agent in YYC saying she saw around 5 people daily fly to YVR to ride in Business across the Pacific as the nonstop was full.

Every time I flew the flight, (it was a YYZ pairing, YYZ-YYC-NRT-YYC-YYZ) the agents wanted our one J seat allocated as crew rest, as there were full revenue J standbys.

I wonder if WS’s 16 seat J cabin would be sufficient. Ideally, I suppose, the 787-8 would work, but with the 30 seat J cabin of the -9 and I can’t imagine an airline specially configuring an aircraft for one route.

Acey

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:14 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Also, if you recall, J demand was very strong on the route. The 23 seat J cabin of the 767 did not quite satisfy demand. Anecdotal, I acknowledge, but I remember an agent in YYC saying she saw around 5 people daily fly to YVR to ride in Business across the Pacific as the nonstop was full.

It is for this reason that I have not fully abandoned all hope for a YYC-NRT return on AC, though it obviously looks less and less likely with WS poised to ramp up int'l 789 flying from YYC.

YYC-NRT is Calgary's biggest loss, IMO.

YEGFlyer

Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:48 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
Acey wrote:
EdmFlyBoi wrote:

WS has 320 seats.

Every time I flew the flight, (it was a YYZ pairing, YYZ-YYC-NRT-YYC-YYZ) the agents wanted our one J seat allocated as crew rest, as there were full revenue J standbys.

I wonder if WS’s 16 seat J cabin would be sufficient. Ideally, I suppose, the 787-8 would work, but with the 30 seat J cabin of the -9 and I can’t imagine an airline specially configuring an aircraft for one route.

If the route was profitable it would be back on AC.

Aresxerexade

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:02 pm

EdmFlyBoi wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Cargo , DXB a huge cargo opportunity.

9252fly

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:09 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
Acey wrote:

WS has 320 seats.

If my memory is correct, the aircraft flew with a routing YYZ - YYC - NRT and the reverse for the return with through passengers during the stops in YYC.

CrewBunk

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:29 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:

To me, it’s not that simple. YYC-NRT is like YOW-LHR/FRA. What was profitable in 2019, is no longer. That plans were in place to put the 787 on YYC-NRT in 2020, indicate it was profitable, as were Atlantic operations out of YOW and YYT. I’m guessing network planners are watching markets closely as international conditions are evolving after Covid.

Worldwide conditions are far slower, with far more extraneous issues to overcome than just running a Max-8 from YYZ-YVR. It will all happen in due time.

But that these operations are presently not flying is the best indication that today, it would not be profitable.

I’m guessing that NRT/HND will bounce back as Japan opens up restrictions. Certainly loads presently on YVR-NRT, YYZ-NRT/HND and YUL-NRT indicate that it is in fact happening, quickly. (YOW-LHR/FRA when the 321XLR arrives).

My own guess is that YYC-NRT will happen sooner than later. YVR-NRT is running almost full, with enough connections from YYC and YEG to make network planners notice. Run connections through YYC and it takes the pressure off YVR.
Last edited by CrewBunk on Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrewBunk

Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:37 pm

9252fly wrote:
If my memory is correct, the aircraft flew with a routing YYZ - YYC - NRT and the reverse for the return with through passengers during the stops in YYC.

That is correct. But with a daily nonstop YYZ-HND with the occasional YYZ-NRT, there were probably less than a dozen passengers flying through YYC to NRT from YYZ.

The YYZ-YYC portion of that flight was more to get the aircraft to YYC as both the 767 and its crews were based in YYZ. At the end of its passenger life at mainline AC, international operations were routed, YYZ-YYC-NRT, YYZ-YHZ-LHR, YYZ-YOW-LHR and YYZ-YOW-FRA.

IceCream

Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:37 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
Acey wrote:

WS has 320 seats.

Considering it was flown for ten years, it seems like it was profitable enough to keep it for that long. But with covid, YVR traffic to Japan would have to fully recover first in order for AC to even think about YYC-NRT.

But for WS DXB would be more successful just because of how many connections can be made to all of South Asia.

hiflyeras

Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:56 pm

jimbo737 wrote:
Many still live in the past with memories of Wardair’s 747’s and eating off Royal Doulton china.

My first trip to Europe AND on a 747 was on Wardair YVR-LGW. Such a great memory…especially as a 17yo sitting upstairs sampling cordials with my grandmother! ❤️

crosscheckyyz

Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:07 pm

Is the EK WS partnership still in effect?

IceCream wrote:
YEGFlyer wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Considering it was flown for ten years, it seems like it was profitable enough to keep it for that long. But with covid, YVR traffic to Japan would have to fully recover first in order for AC to even think about YYC-NRT.

But for WS DXB would be more successful just because of how many connections can be made to all of South Asia.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos