Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

The WestJet Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:32 pm

Welcome to the West Jet Thread 202. Please continue your discussion and to post your news here.

Link to previous thread:

The WestJet Thread - 2021

Acey

Re: The WestJet Thread - 2022

Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:10 am

WestJet YYC operation in absolute shambles due to absent ground crew and Omicron'd flight crews. Majority of evening schedule is cancelled. This is the short-term reality moving forward.

Aresxerexade

Sat Jan 01, 2022 4:43 am

Not surprised , a real shame. A true merde show. They join the ranks of the majors in the USA dealing with the same .

https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodi ... 021-12-31/

Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:31 pm

hollywoodcory

Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:11 pm

Happy new year! Here is what’s currently planned to launch in 2022:

YYC-LHR
YYC-FCO
YYC-BOS
YYZ-DUB
YYZ-GLA
YYZ-EDI

Whiteguy

Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:09 pm

777luver wrote:

Lol, it doesn’t matter what an airline says with this group….

Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:56 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
777luver wrote:

Nope lol

alo2yyz

Sun Jan 02, 2022 3:48 pm

777luver wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
777luver wrote:

Nope lol

Criticisms of "this group" would be more persuasive if the regulator wasn't thoroughly captured by the industry or if we had a functioning market with choice in this country, instead of a duopoly.

Nearly a thousand pieces of paper were exchanged in the year-and-a-half process, expert witnesses were subpoenaed on plane maintenance and scheduling, and Halifax small claims court adjudicator Darrel Pink wrote a decision of more than 50 paragraphs... “When consumer protection is the intended outcome of a regulatory regime, it should be assumed the regime will be in plain language, easy to understand and supports a simple claims process,” Pink wrote. “The APPR, which was intended to accomplish enhanced passenger rights, accomplishes none of these. “The language is complex and legalistic; one needs detailed or specific knowledge to invoke the claims system; and the process to seek compensation, once invoked, does not lend itself to quick resolution,” the adjudicator said. “Few individuals would undertake such efforts to seek a few hundred dollars in compensation. Even if they wanted to, fewer could undertake such a claim.”

https://financialpost.com/transportation/airlines/canadas-air-passenger-rights-law-blasted-by-court-after-400-claim-takes-year-and-a-half-and-then-fails

hollywoodcory

Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:40 pm

At a quick glance, it doesn't look like the schedule got updated over the weekend? Unless it isn't happening until later in the week.

hollywoodcory

Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:18 pm

Schedule cuts got extended into February, and looks like a few more routes are getting suspended including YYC-PDX/KOA/MBJ/FLL and YEG-HNL/OGG. Many others got reduced.

Hockeyfan125

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:17 am

I think WestJet Canada’s 2nd largest & busiest Airline will still do alright.

The covid pandemic has had an effect on alot of things and changes to flights and also flights being cut happen sometimes.

Hopefully some better and more positive news ahead for the Airline industry around the World & in Canada in 2022 and beyond.

IceCream

Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:15 pm

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
I think WestJet Canada’s 2nd largest & busiest Airline will still do alright.

The covid pandemic has had an effect on alot of things and changes to flights and also flights being cut happen sometimes.

Hopefully some better and more positive news ahead for the Airline industry around the World & in Canada in 2022 and beyond.

Depending on how Omicron goes I'd say things go somewhat back to normal this coming summer or winter. But in the meantime it makes sense to cut routes not doing well.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:24 am

It appears sins of the past will be reckoned with.

The B.C. Court of Appeal has dismissed WestJet's efforts to overturn the certification of a class-action lawsuit on baggage fees.

The Calgary-based airline is alleged to have published two prices for checked bags, one that was free and then charged passengers another that was higher, between September 2014 and March 2019. https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.6326211

hollywoodcory

Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:57 pm

In only took them like 2 months, but they finally updated these pages:
https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/i ... l-schedule

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/flights/domestic-schedule

Both are now updated to reflect the schedule until April 30th. As far as I can tell, still no changes done to the S22 schedule as of yet.

cirrusdragoon

Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:25 pm

In addition to the previous codeshare announcement between the two carriers, WestJet and Air Transat applied to the US Department of Transportation for permission to codeshare on flights between the US and Canada. https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0158-0001

The carriers seek a blanket approval to put the TS code on any WestJet/Encore flights across the border. To begin, however, two key markets are indicated for activation: Toronto to Boston and to New York-LaGuardia. The codeshare only applies with an onward connection; whereas, neither Air Transat nor WestJet intend to market trans border codeshare service solely between points in Canada and points in the United States, without connection to transatlantic flights

Passengers will connect between a Transat A321neo and WestJet’s Toronto-New York/Boston network. A very mutually beneficial deal if approved.

Aresxerexade

Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:06 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
In addition to the previous codeshare announcement between the two carriers, WestJet and Air Transat applied to the US Department of Transportation for permission to codeshare on flights between the US and Canada. https://www.regulations.gov/document/DO ... -0158-0001

The carriers seek a blanket approval to put the TS code on any WestJet/Encore flights across the border. To begin, however, two key markets are indicated for activation: Toronto to Boston and to New York-LaGuardia. The codeshare only applies with an onward connection; whereas, neither Air Transat nor WestJet intend to market trans border codeshare service solely between points in Canada and points in the United States, without connection to transatlantic flights

Passengers will connect between a Transat A321neo and WestJet’s Toronto-New York/Boston network. A very mutually beneficial deal if approved.

could this lead to WS trying for more slots ? Or not necessary?

IceCream

Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:52 am

Aresxerexade wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

could this lead to WS trying for more slots ? Or not necessary?

Hmm I'm not sure if I see it as that way. I think this is more for WS to have a larger network (through TS) and fill up their BOS/JFK flights and for TS to fill up their TATL flights since WS might not have all 10 787's this summer (which wouldn't be enough to have a large presence anyways).

Aresxerexade

Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:47 am

I have to wonder if in any way it’s remotely connected to the Jetblue launch into Canada ? The YYZ LGA route was something WS was vying to increase their presence pre pandemic with the proposed JV with Delta. WS already significantly codeshares with Delta on the route , I just wonder if post pandemic they will look to acquire more LGA slots , if that is even possible. All assuming that WS wants to grow this market further?

IceCream

Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:34 pm

Aresxerexade wrote:
      I have to wonder if in any way it’s remotely connected to the Jetblue launch into Canada ? The YYZ LGA route was something WS was vying to increase their presence pre pandemic with the proposed JV with Delta. WS already significantly codeshares with Delta on the route , I just wonder if post pandemic they will look to acquire more LGA slots , if that is even possible. All assuming that WS wants to grow this market further?

I mean you're probably right. And I believe WS wants to launch YYZ-ORD this summer?

hollywoodcory

Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:41 pm

Some S22 changes were filed in this weeks update:

YYC-AUS appears to be completely removed
      YYC-DEN delayed until May 19
      YYC-BOS delayed until June 30
      YVR-SAN delayed until May 19
      And possibly more, but haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing. No changes to Europe yet.

I'm assuming this implies a full summer update should be coming very soon.

Hockeyfan125

Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:24 am

hollywoodcory wrote:

And possibly more, but haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing. No changes to Europe yet.

Interesting & not too surprising. (If) WestJet were cut to back on Europe flights this upcoming Summer, I think Halifax YHZ would probably be 1st in line for the cuts as doubtful that all 4 YHZ to London,Glasgow,Dublin & Paris seasonal flights operates.
      As WS would want to consolidate most its European flights through Calgary YYC, Toronto YYZ and Vancouver YVR.

Also when WestJet announces their full Summer 2022 schedule, most additional flights/frequencies will likely benefit its 3 busiest WS Hubs at YYC, YYZ & YVR in Canada.

hollywoodcory

Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:37 am

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
      hollywoodcory wrote:

Interesting & not too surprising. (If) WestJet were cut to back on Europe flights this upcoming Summer, I think Halifax YHZ would probably be 1st in line for the cuts as doubtful that all 4 YHZ to London,Glasgow,Dublin & Paris seasonal flights operates.
      As WS would want to consolidate most its European flights through Calgary YYC, Toronto YYZ and Vancouver YVR.

Also when WestJet announces their full Summer 2022 schedule, most additional flights/frequencies will likely benefit its 3 busiest WS Hubs at YYC, YYZ & YVR in Canada.

The UK is requiring 70% usage of slots this summer, EU 64% which tells me all of those routes will have to operate in some capacity otherwise WS will risk losing those slots.

Also YHZ has the advantage of a narrow body being able to fly those routes. If anything given WS is facing delays in deliveries of 787s, YVR is more at risk of seeing its flights reduced.

Hockeyfan125

Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:12 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
      Hockeyfan125 wrote:
      hollywoodcory wrote:

The UK is requiring 70% usage of slots this summer, EU 64% which tells me all of those routes will have to operate in some capacity otherwise WS will risk losing those slots.

Also YHZ has the advantage of a narrow body being able to fly those routes. If anything given WS is facing delays in deliveries of 787s, YVR is more at risk of seeing its flights reduced.

Yes agree with delays to deliveries of 787’s for WestJet they’re likely to reduce seasonal Vancouver YVR to London UK routing, which is not that big of a deal for YVR as they will have plenty of seating capacity to London UK this Summer 2022 from Western Canada as British Airways Airbus A380 that can seat up to 469 passengers will be operating it & along with 2 Air Canada 787’s too.

hollywoodcory

Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:47 pm

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/news/2022 ... cent-throu

WS extends cuts into March. Looking at the GDS, it appears that advance bookings were good so this is interesting.

YEGFlyer

Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:20 pm

Wondering why WestJet is struggling more than rivals right now? Per article 48% of all WS/ Swoop trips for March are now cancelled.

Since early November, WestJet and budget subsidiary Swoop have cancelled 11,285 trips that they had planned for March, or 48 per cent. Meanwhile, compared with its plan in mid-October, Air Canada has scrapped 16,617 or 41 per cent of its scheduled March flights, according to flight data firm Cirium.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... reopening/

Aresxerexade

Swoop Airlines expands

Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:57 am

Swoop announces today a significant expansion to its domestic network. The airline will add five new destinations — Deer Lake, Charlottetown, Moncton, St. Johns, and St. John, all in Atlantic Canada — and 11 new routes to its map in May and June. Most of the routes connect the five new cities to Edmonton, Hamilton, Ontario, and Toronto Pearson.

The airline also plans to up frequencies on a number of routes in western Canada, its home turf, to create a “more extensive domestic network.”

To support this growth, they’ve unveiled a deal to expand its fleet by 60 percent by acquiring six new “Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft” from Boeing ( with lessor unknown at this time). The aircraft are leased and will be delivered directly from Boeing, and do not come from parent WestJet’s existing Max order book,

This will bring its fleet to 16 aircraft with delivery of the aircraft commencing in the summer of 2022 to meet peak season travel demand.

Skywatcher

Re: Swoop Airlines expands

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:09 am

I assume that this is replacing existing Westjet mainline services?

jumbojettony

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:13 am

Would be nice to see them at YUL but considering WS has a hard time building anything here I doubt they would even bother with Swoop.

cirrusdragoon

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:32 am

Skywatcher wrote:
      I assume that this is replacing existing Westjet mainline services?

Not so no . For example mainline WS YHZ-YOW is still maintained at thrice daily, while WO is once daily during the week of June 19. Further , WO departure time is at 16:45 , with WS mainline leaving at 16:00.

Eso91

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:57 am

Really good to see that it's possible to book YEG-YDF. Flights between Alberta and Newfoundland tend to be quite pricey. After doing some searching it looks like WO has flights starting at $170 roundtrip while it's closer to $800 on AC & WS for the same days.

Will these flights be operated through YHM or YYZ? It seems like they're being sold as direct through flights with a stopover but the site doesn't list the stopover point during booking.

cirrusdragoon

Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:15 am

Eso91 wrote:
      Really good to see that it's possible to book YEG-YDF. Flights between Alberta and Newfoundland tend to be quite pricey. After doing some searching it looks like WO has flights starting at $170 roundtrip while it's closer to $800 on AC & WS for the same days.

Will these flights be operated through YHM or YYZ? It seems like they're being sold as direct through flights with a stopover but the site doesn't list the stopover point during booking.

It is a 45 min stopover in YHM, you should see it in the final confirmation page.

Juju2004

Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:49 am

At this point they're not even trying to hide the fact that they're simply trying to kill off Flair instead of actually offering low costs on new sectors and new destinations with limited competition. More than two thirds of these routes are already served by Flair with almost the same frequencies and as if by chance on the same day as Flair, leaving the rest of the week clear of any competition for WS ripoff fares..

N62NA

Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:49 am

Aresxerexade wrote:
      Swoop announces today a significant expansion to its domestic network. The airline will add five new destinations — Deer Lake, Charlottetown, Moncton, St. Johns, and St. John, all in Atlantic Canada — and 11 new routes to its map in May and June. Most of the routes connect the five new cities to Edmonton, Hamilton, Ontario, and Toronto Pearson.

The airline also plans to up frequencies on a number of routes in western Canada, its home turf, to create a “more extensive domestic network.”

To support this growth, they’ve unveiled a deal to expand its fleet by 60 percent by acquiring six new “Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft” from Boeing ( with lessor unknown at this time). The aircraft are leased and will be delivered directly from Boeing, and do not come from parent WestJet’s existing Max order book,

This will bring its fleet to 16 aircraft with delivery of the aircraft commencing in the summer of 2022 to meet peak season travel demand.

The fare is 10 cents between Ottawa and Halifax and the rest is all taxes and government fees?!

Juju2004

Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:00 am

Actually they add a nav canada and another wierd surcharge that doesn't count as a base fare to them but in reality it's really more like a 10$ fare on top of the airport improvement fees.

Hockeyfan125

Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:47 pm

jumbojettony wrote:
      Would be nice to see them at YUL but considering WS has a hard time building anything here I doubt they would even bother with Swoop.

Yep WestJet is unlikely add Swoop at Montreal YUL as the only 2 profitable year round flight routes WS has from Quebec Canada is to Toronto YYZ & Calgary YYC!!

WestJet wants to do is keep Calgary YYC, Toronto YYZ and Vancouver YVR their 3 busiest hubs as Premium as possible on its WS Mainline flights & yes there will be also some cheaper fares available in Economy seating on WS mainline too for YYC, YYZ & YVR. Basically it's a mix of both types.

WestJet's larger 787's planes only operate mainly on flights to/from YYC,YYZ & YVR is good signal of it✅!!

Hockeyfan125

Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:23 pm

YEGFlyer wrote:
      Wondering why WestJet is struggling more than rivals right now? Per article 48% of all WS/ Swoop trips for March are now cancelled.

Since early November, WestJet and budget subsidiary Swoop have cancelled 11,285 trips that they had planned for March, or 48 per cent. Meanwhile, compared with its plan in mid-October, Air Canada has scrapped 16,617 or 41 per cent of its scheduled March flights, according to flight data firm Cirium.

Because of Covid19 Pandemic situation in Canada & around the World has effected the travel & passengers demand= more flights being cancelled & flights routes going through Airlines Main Airport Hubs!

Basically WestJet has funnelled most its flights through Calgary, Toronto & Vancouver its 3 busiest hubs and similar situation for Air Canada too is doing the same through its 4 busiest hubs Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal & Calgary!

Other Canadian Airlines like Flair, Porter, Air Transat,etc are doing it also.

When Calgary Lynx Air starts up flights in 2022, same thing!

IceCream

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:19 am

YEGFlyer wrote:

To be fair 41% versus 48% is really not as much of a big difference as you're making it out to be. WS is doing as well in these times as AC is for the most part, and there is not a noticeable difference between their performances right now. That being said their meltdown earlier this year was definitely not good.

CXH

Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:54 am

N62NA wrote:
      Aresxerexade wrote:

The fare is 10 cents between Ottawa and Halifax and the rest is all taxes and government fees?!

Yes. But read the fine print:
      †Special introductory fares are limited quantity. Book by February 23, 2022 for travel between June 1 and July 15, 2022.†Special introductory fares are limited quantity. Book by February 23, 2022 for travel between June 1 and July 15, 2022.

"limited quantity" and only until Feb 23. Maybe only the first 20 or seats on each flight at that price?

lostsound

Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:06 am

It's great that Canada is seeing an uprising in competition as airfare has been way too high for way too long domestically, but I have to admit I have hard time cheering Swoop on. If it were an independent airline I'd wish them well but it's really just a tool for WS to sweep away the newcomer ULCCs. I have this problem with Rouge as well. They'll simply try and rid the competition and then boost their fares when the coast is clear. I'm happy to see YYT finally make the list for an ULCC in Canada though as a partial Newfoundlander. I am really curious to see how Porter will position themselves market wise when they receive their E2s.

IceCream

Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:27 am

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
      jumbojettony wrote:

Yep WestJet is unlikely add Swoop at Montreal YUL as the only 2 profitable year round flight routes WS has from Quebec Canada is to Toronto YYZ & Calgary YYC!!

WestJet wants to do is keep Calgary YYC, Toronto YYZ and Vancouver YVR their 3 busiest hubs as Premium as possible on its WS Mainline flights & yes there will be also some cheaper fares available in Economy seating on WS mainline too for YYC, YYZ & YVR. Basically it's a mix of both types.

WestJet's larger 787's planes only operate mainly on flights to/from YYC,YYZ & YVR is good signal of it✅!!

Correct but also YHZ is flown from YUL year round on WS. WO(Swoop) has a sizeable operation in YYZ as well, but Toronto is such a large market that there isn't a large risk of cannibalizing their mainline routes (versus YYC).

Hockeyfan125

Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:45 am

IceCream wrote:
      Hockeyfan125 wrote:
      jumbojettony wrote:

Correct but also YHZ is flown from YUL year round on WS. WO(Swoop) has a sizeable operation in YYZ as well, but Toronto is such a large market that there isn't a large risk of cannibalizing their mainline routes (versus YYC).

Yep & actually currently it looks like WestJet Montreal YUL- Halifax YHZ is a Summer Seasonal to end of October 2022.

It don’t see any nonstops yet posted for next Winter season on WS YUL-YHZ routing as it’s showing only via Toronto YYZ at the moment.
      Though will see what happens when WestJet announces their Winter schedules by the of Summer months.

IceCream

Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:36 pm

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
      IceCream wrote:
      Hockeyfan125 wrote:

Yep & actually currently it looks like WestJet Montreal YUL- Halifax YHZ is a Summer Seasonal to end of October 2022.

It don’t see any nonstops yet posted for next Winter season on WS YUL-YHZ routing as it’s showing only via Toronto YYZ at the moment.
      Though will see what happens when WestJet announces their Winter schedules by the of Summer months.

Interesting. It used to be year-round from when it first launched up until March 2020. Never thought they'd make it seasonal.

mikedelta720

Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:08 am

Does anybody know what will happen to their 737-600s? Will they be reactivated? I'm hoping they'll come back soon (to LGA maybe) so I could finally try out the -600.

CAPTYXU

Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:18 pm

The 600's are retired from WestJet

BillyD

Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:37 pm

CAPTYXU wrote:
      The 600's are retired from WestJet
      There's one in Kelowna and one in Hamilton being repurposed for another charter startup.

Whiteguy

Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:54 pm

mikedelta720 wrote:
      Does anybody know what will happen to their 737-600s? Will they be reactivated? I'm hoping they'll come back soon (to LGA maybe) so I could finally try out the -600.

They will not be returning to service with Westjet, their officially retire from the fleet. Two have been sold to Kelowna Flightcraft for charter work.

proudpilot94

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:31 am

An airline just requested to fly YYZ - BOG to the Colombian aviation authorities. AC and AV already fly the route. Wonder if it’s WS? It’d make sense.

YEGFlyer

Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:33 am

Hockeyfan125 wrote:
      YEGFlyer wrote:

Because of Covid19 Pandemic situation in Canada & around the World has effected the travel & passengers demand= more flights being cancelled & flights routes going through Airlines Main Airport Hubs!

Basically WestJet has funnelled most its flights through Calgary, Toronto & Vancouver its 3 busiest hubs and similar situation for Air Canada too is doing the same through its 4 busiest hubs Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal & Calgary!

Other Canadian Airlines like Flair, Porter, Air Transat,etc are doing it also.

When Calgary Lynx Air starts up flights in 2022, same thing!

Westjet doesn't identify any other airports as hubs, it only has 3. The "busiest" would be YYZ. The least busy hub would be either YVR or YYC.

YEGFlyer

Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:34 am

Does anyone know if WS is profitable right now?

crosscheckyyz

Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:26 am

proudpilot94 wrote:
      An airline just requested to fly YYZ - BOG to the Colombian aviation authorities. AC and AV already fly the route. Wonder if it’s WS? It’d make sense.

It could be Transat as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos