Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SQ22
Topic Author

Oregon Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:43 pm

Welcome to the Oregon Aviation Thread 2022. Please continue your discussion and to post your news here.

Link to previous thread:

Oregon Aviation Thread - 2021

ANA787

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:21 pm

2022 predictions:
-BA to LHR will finally get off the ground.
-AM will return to the PDX-MEX market-I still think there is a market for this with Mexico being such a popular destination from PDX
-Southwest will announce PDX-Hawaii flights
-DL will announce some additional markets from PDX such as reintroducing LAS, ANC, HNL, BOS
-AS will announce/reannounce MIA, SAT, BNA, STL, DTW, PHL

cschleic

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:23 pm

ANA787 wrote:
2022 predictions:
-AM will return to the PDX-MEX market-I still think there is a market for this with Mexico being such a popular destination from PDX
-DL will announce some additional markets from PDX such as reintroducing LAS, ANC, HNL, BOS

Didn't BA recently announce LHR starting June 3rd, 2022?

ANA787

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:27 pm

cschleic wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
2022 predictions:

Didn't BA recently announce LHR starting June 3rd, 2022?

yup. hope it actually takes off this year and there is no delay of start.

AC4500

Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:57 pm

In terms of new routes for AS at PDX, Brett Catlin, VP of AS network planning specifically mentioned PDX-ATL a long while back: https://simpleflying.com/portland-oppor ... -airlines/

For 2022, I think AS will definitely add PDX-SAT and PDX-STL. These are both markets that have more than enough year-round demand for a daily OO/QX E175 flight. I hope they also operate PDX-MCI on a more consistent basis/schedule as well. Maybe we'll see BWI/PHL resume as well. Personally, I'd like to see them fly PDX-FAI again.

In addition, I think AS could make a "split" schedule work for some new summer seasonal routes.

Examples of what I mean could look something like this:
PDX-BNA: 4x weekly (Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri)
PDX-CMH: 3x weekly (Tue/Thu/Sat)

and/or

PDX-DTW: 4x weekly (Sun/Mon/Wed/Fri)
PDX-IND: 3x weekly (Tue/Thu/Sat)

When AS announced PDX-FLL and PDX-CUN, they did something similar with PDX-FLL at 4x weekly, PDX-CUN at 3x weekly. The same was supposed to happen with PDX-TPA at 4x weekly and PDX-MSY at 3x weekly as well.

wedgetail737

Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:43 pm

ANA787 wrote:
2022 predictions:

Does AM have the authority to bring back the MEX since they have a lowered FAA rating? Well, Mexican carriers, in general.

RWA380

Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:08 pm

ANA787 wrote:
2022 predictions:

For sure the British are coming, they are in a great position & aligned correctly for all PDX - LHR traffic & v.v. DL has no need to join the fray that is LAS, HNL flights were like 8 flights over December & Early Jan. I have no idea why DL would join B6 & AS on BOS-PDX. I think, just like AS, DL is trying very hard to keep gates at SEA & they are happy to route us PDX fliers through SEA, often making trips 2 stops vs one with MSP, JFK or ATL connections.

One of your destinations is on the short list for PDX by AS, but I'm not allowed to say. I'm curious why some feel WN would do well in PDX & SEA to Hawaii in & out of the PNW? They have a loyal base in the two cities & now EUG. EUG-HNL might be interesting, but they barely just added DEN, consider PSP-HNL & FAT-HNL as well. even an add or two to/from RNO.

lhpdx

Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:01 pm

I hoping to see an even larger Amazon cargo presence out of PDX in 2022!!

ANA787

Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:30 pm

Noticed that there are two HNL-PDX flights today, both operated by A330s. One the usual HA#26 and the other HA#88. Tomorrow morning it looks like one continues to MSP. Maintenance?

Chugach

Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:59 am

ANA787 wrote:
Noticed that there are two HNL-PDX flights today, both operated by A330s. One the usual HA#26 and the other HA#88. Tomorrow morning it looks like one continues to MSP. Maintenance?

Ordinarily I would have guessed NFL charter but the Vikings play at home this weekend.

AC4500

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Some changes to the long-term AS schedule. PDX-CUN appears to have been cut (SAN-CUN cut as well), however PDX-FLL and PDX-TPA are now daily for late 2022.

wedgetail737

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:53 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Some changes to the long-term AS schedule. PDX-CUN appears to have been cut (SAN-CUN cut as well), however PDX-FLL and PDX-TPA are now daily for late 2022.

PDX-CUN cut permanently or cut for the season?

AC4500

Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:55 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

PDX-CUN cut permanently or cut for the season?

Last time I checked it was set to resume in October 2022. That is now gone apparently. They're currently flying it at 1x weekly (Saturdays only) until late April.

ANA787

Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:06 pm

AC4500 wrote:

PDX-CUN will be flown at some point next winter, its been a popular flight. Perhaps they haven't added it to the schedule yet.
PDX-FLL/TPA will do well as daily next winter. I wouldn't be surprised to see PDX-MIA next winter too.
Also noticed...
PDX-HNL will also be going 2x daily. There will now be an evening flight.
PDX-OGG also returns to 2x daily (additional evening flight)
PDX-LIH 1x daily
PDX-KOA 1x daily
PDX-TUS 1x daily mainline

I wonder if we'd see DL take another stab at PDX-HNL. I have been surprised recently at all the connecting Hawaii passengers on PDX-SEA delta flights.

rjbesikof

Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:27 pm

DL PDX-ICN tentatively starts on 5/2.

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:11 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
DL PDX-ICN tentatively starts on 5/2.

Can't really be choosy this day in age, but too bad the PDX-ICN flight won't be operated by KE.

pdxplanes837362

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:52 pm

Anyone have an idea on when delta might upgrade AMS, ICN, or HND to A350/339 if that is to be?

TransWorldOne

Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:52 pm

pdxplanes837362 wrote:
Anyone have an idea on when delta might upgrade AMS, ICN, or HND to A350/339 if that is to be?

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think we'll be lucky if all of these flights actually get off the ground.

lhpdx

Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:58 pm

ANA787 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

PDX-CUN will be flown at some point next winter, its been a popular flight. Perhaps they haven't added it to the schedule yet.
PDX-FLL/TPA will do well as daily next winter. I wouldn't be surprised to see PDX-MIA next winter too.
Also noticed...
PDX-LIH 1x daily
PDX-KOA 1x daily

I wonder if we'd see DL take another stab at PDX-HNL. I have been surprised recently at all the connecting Hawaii passengers on PDX-SEA delta flights.

Summer 2022 AS PDX-SLC 3x daily................

AC4500

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:34 pm

lhpdx wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Also noticed...
PDX-LIH 1x daily
PDX-KOA 1x daily

Summer 2022 AS PDX-SLC 3x daily................

Yep. I saw that too. Interestingly, two of the three daily PDX-SLC flights depart less than an hour apart from each other.

AC4500

Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:35 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
pdxplanes837362 wrote:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think we'll be lucky if all of these flights actually get off the ground.

AMS and TYO (to HND) will definitely resume at some point. Both are staple DL international routes that have been flown for quite some time. In addition, I don't think DL would have announced PDX-ICN at the height of the pandemic if they didn't have any confidence in that route.

TransWorldOne

Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:42 pm

AC4500 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:
pdxplanes837362 wrote:

AMS and TYO (to HND) will definitely resume at some point. Both are staple DL international routes that have been flown for quite some time. In addition, I don't think DL would have announced PDX-ICN at the height of the pandemic if they didn't have any confidence in that route.

You seem quite sure of yourself. If I were a betting man, I would wager that ICN replaces HND. PDX-HND is a point to point route with no hub feed on either end. I believe it would be the only Transoceanic flight in the DL network that doesn't touch a hub. The supposed "cultural ties" between Oregon and Japan that are often touted on airliners.net are not enough to sustain a long haul route like this, in my opinion.

ANA787

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:01 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

You seem quite sure of yourself. If I were a betting man, I would wager that ICN replaces HND. PDX-HND is a point to point route with no hub feed on either end. I believe it would be the only Transoceanic flight in the DL network that doesn't touch a hub. The supposed "cultural ties" between Oregon and Japan that are often touted on airliners.net are not enough to sustain a long haul route like this, in my opinion.

If DL announces the official cut of PDX-HND, JL or NH will jump into the PDX-Japan market, and DL is trying to keep this from happening. A flight by NH or JL to PDX would be BIG for cargo alone with all the Japanese suppliers throughout the Portland area.

AC4500

Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:08 pm

TransWorldOne wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

You may very well be right. I just think that DL would have already cut PDX-HND by now if that were the case.

pdxav8r

Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:05 pm

Would most likely be JL with the AS ties, if so. Then you have hub to hub.

NW747

Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:06 am

pdxav8r wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Delta has been off the Tokyo route for close to two years. If the case was strong for JL to start this route, why wouldn’t they have announced this and simply displaced Delta? BA did this for the PDX - LHR route. I keep seeing reference to feed from AS, but what benefit does PDX provide that is not already met at SAN, LAX, SFO, or SEA?

pdxav8r

Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:12 am

NW747 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but Delta has been off the Tokyo route for close to two years. If the case was strong for JL to start this route, why wouldn’t they have announced this and simply displaced Delta? BA did this for the PDX - LHR route. I keep seeing reference to feed from AS, but what benefit does PDX provide that is not already met at SAN, LAX, SFO, or SEA?

Few, if any carriers have announced new trans-Pacific service since COVID began. JL just recently restored SAN service. PDX-Tokyo began I believe around 1980 with UA, moving to NW, now DL. Long history on the route, long city ties. I was not saying JL would start the route, but could if DL’s HND flight ends up a non-starter. With the AS hub in PDX, one would reason the feed would be greater for JL than say NH, with relatively no feed. Also, AS serves many more cities from PDX, than they do from any other city, sans SEA. Once the virus is under control on both sides of the ocean, somebody is going to be flying to Tokyo from PDX. JL subsidiary ZIP Air was rumored to be heavily interested in PDX before the pandemic began, and that was WITH DL already flying to Tokyo.

ANA787

Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:26 pm

Just a note about Condor. I wonder how long PDX-FRA on DE will hang on as the Condor/Lufthansa Feeder-Interline agreement is due to end in early May. This means that connections will no longer be sold from FRA on LH. This was a great affordable way to Europe and I know many who used this flight. Load factors in the past were always in the very high 90% range (During the summer months it was common to see 99%-100% LFs every day July and August).

There will be some connections available for DE at PDX with AS, but the connections at FRA for next summer will be limited to just Condor's own relatively small network, and any other smaller affiliated airlines. If this route goes, then I could see LH returning with their Eurowings brand as they will do from SLC.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aerospace-defense/lufthansa-extends-feeder-flight-agreement-with-condor-until-may-2022-2021-05-11/

ANA787

Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 pm

2021 December stats are in. PDX had 1.15M passengers in December. For the entire year 2021, PDX had 11,806,921 passengers. Cargo was big in 2021, with a 9.3% increase over 2020 numbers.

https://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/December%202021%20Statistics%20(PDF).pdf

DeltaPSCFlyer

Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:21 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
NW747 wrote:
pdxav8r wrote:

Few, if any carriers have announced new trans-Pacific service since COVID began. JL just recently restored SAN service. PDX-Tokyo began I believe around 1980 with UA, moving to NW, now DL. Long history on the route, long city ties. I was not saying JL would start the route, but could if DL’s HND flight ends up a non-starter. With the AS hub in PDX, one would reason the feed would be greater for JL than say NH, with relatively no feed. Also, AS serves many more cities from PDX, than they do from any other city, sans SEA. Once the virus is under control on both sides of the ocean, somebody is going to be flying to Tokyo from PDX. JL subsidiary ZIP Air was rumored to be heavily interested in PDX before the pandemic began, and that was WITH DL already flying to Tokyo.

UA started 1x per week in 1983, PDX-NRT with 742 service, as part of the "Royal Pacific Service" that started that year. The flight originated and terminated in ORD. Lasted for about 3 years. DL started their service a year or so later, followed by NW, and then eventually back to DL post merger.

pdxav8r

Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:19 pm

AS hasn’t flown PDX-OGG at all this week. Hard to believe they ceded the route to HA, even temporarily. Can’t remember the last time AS suspended this route, especially keeping Lihue instead. Island traffic is reportedly booming even in the winter, makes it more unbelievable.

RWA380

Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:23 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
AS hasn’t flown PDX-OGG at all this week. Hard to believe they ceded the route to HA, even temporarily. Can’t remember the last time AS suspended this route, especially keeping Lihue instead. Island traffic is reportedly booming even in the winter, makes it more unbelievable.

AAG has been hit hard by sick calls, both in-cabin & cockpit crews. We are in the midst of a huge surge of Omicron Statewide. Washington is worse, where they too are depleted & are far into reserves. I wonder if Maui may possibly have different & more restrictive entry requirements, I guess check their website.

AC4500

Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:17 pm

1/23/2022:
AS 2409 ORD-PDX diverted to BOI
AA 1816 PHX-PDX diverted to BOI

I know SeaTac is dealing with lots of fog-related issues today; was there heavy fog at PDX this morning too?

Chugach

Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:15 am

AC4500 wrote:
1/23/2022:
AS 2409 ORD-PDX diverted to BOI
AA 1816 PHX-PDX diverted to BOI

I know SeaTac is dealing with lots of fog-related issues today; was there heavy fog at PDX this morning too?

Yes.

AC4500

Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:42 pm

No AS on PDX-DEN in February or March. Is this due to staffing issues?

zonks

Tue Jan 25, 2022 8:51 pm

AC4500 wrote:

I'd assume so because I'm seeing something similar for PDX-BUR, which on some days has no flights and other days with one late afternoon departure from PDX. Hopefully once this Omicron wave passes safely, AS will bulk up their schedules again.

lhpdx

Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:56 pm

AC4500 wrote:
AS PDX schedule has been gutted to the bonemarrow due to staff shortages and Omicron.....Hopefully, it will all rebound by summer 22.....

RWA380

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:06 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Yes, this is a turn route, with one hour in between for crew.

PDX DEN 12:10-3:35

DEN-PDX 4:35pm-6;14p

lhpdx

Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:35 pm

Attn PDX spotters: There's an Eastern 767-200 arriving at 4;44pm from El Paso, TX Fort Bliss...This is definitely a first...

flyoregon

Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:40 am

It seems that Volaris does pretty well on their PDX-GDL route having gradually increased frequency over time. I know pre COVID they had announced intentions to start another route that never launched. What are the chances of that route happening again or other Mexico cities to PDX? Anybody have any insight on their operations in Portland?

Chugach

Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:13 am

flyoregon wrote:
It seems that Volaris does pretty well on their PDX-GDL route having gradually increased frequency over time. I know pre COVID they had announced intentions to start another route that never launched. What are the chances of that route happening again or other Mexico cities to PDX? Anybody have any insight on their operations in Portland?

I wouldn’t be surprised if PDX-MEX comes back on somebody eventually. Beyond that, AS has the vacation market covered on PDX-SJD/PVR/CUN. Not sure what else would be realistic from Portland.

pdxav8r

Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:18 am

flyoregon wrote:

PDX website erroneously listed a departure (showed as cancelled) to Morelia yesterday, supposedly departing at 9:30p. Thought Volaris was finally starting the route. Went on the Volaris website, and it shows no flights, and no connections even to Morelia. Checked dates through May, found nothing.

PDX88

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:11 am

jplatts

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:27 pm

Here are the Q3 2021 PDEW's of top domestic markets traveled to from PDX that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX:
PDX-ATL - 229 (previously served nonstop by AS)
PDX-IAH/HOU - 217
PDX-MIA/FLL - 153 (AS plans on resuming PDX-FLL nonstop service in March 2022)
PDX-DTW - 150 (previously served nonstop by AS)
PDX-MCI - 145 (AS MCI-PDX nonstop service scheduled to resume in May 2022)
PDX-PHL - 132 (PHL currently isn't served nonstop from PDX on either AA or AS)
PDX-BNA - 121
PDX-STL - 120 (previously served nonstop by AS)
PDX-TPA - 102 (AS planning on operating Saturday-only PDX-TPA nonstop flights in April 2022)
PDX-CLT - 95 (CLT not currently served by AS)
PDX-IND - 89
PDX-RDU - 81
PDX-SAT - 81
PDX-CMH - 79
PDX-CLE/CAK - 77

Is AS likely to add nonstop service out of PDX to the destinations listed above (apart from the ones that AS already plans on resuming)? If so, which of the above destinations is AS likely to add nonstop service to out of PDX?

There was discussion regarding the possibility of AS adding PDX-CMH nonstop service over in the Rest of Ohio Aviation Thread with Intel having plans to build a chip production facility in New Albany, OH and with Intel already having chip production facilities in Hillsboro, OR. In addition to the Intel presence that will be there in both Greater Portland and Greater Columbus, Amazon Web Services also already has datacenters in both Greater Portland and Greater Columbus.

AC4500

Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:45 pm

jplatts wrote:
There was discussion regarding the possibility of AS adding PDX-CMH nonstop service over in the Rest of Ohio Aviation Thread with Intel having plans to build a chip production facility in New Albany, OH and with Intel already having chip production facilities in Hillsboro, OR. In addition to the Intel presence that will be there in both Greater Portland and Greater Columbus, Amazon Web Services also already has datacenters in both Greater Portland and Greater Columbus.

IDK if Intel will be frequently sending enough people between Portland and Columbus to warrant a nonstop flight. Also, Intel often uses private corporate jets that fly out of nearby HIO (Hillsboro Airport). However, these are typically Embraer E145 jets, which do not have the range for such a long route.

I wonder if the new Intel production facility will increase the cargo demand between the two cities. Passenger airlines will sometimes add nonstop flights if the additional air cargo revenue can outweigh the weaker passenger revenue, which we've seen quite often during the pandemic.

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:00 pm

I didn't realize AS quit flying between SJC and PDX. I hope it's just temporary. But as of the end of March, it wasn't there.

AC4500

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:06 pm

jplatts wrote:
Here are the Q3 2021 PDEW's of top domestic markets traveled to from PDX that AS doesn't currently serve nonstop from PDX:
PDX-ATL - 229 (previously served nonstop by AS)
PDX-IAH/HOU - 217
PDX-MIA/FLL - 153 (AS plans on resuming PDX-FLL nonstop service in March 2022)
PDX-DTW - 150 (previously served nonstop by AS)
PDX-MCI - 145 (AS MCI-PDX nonstop service scheduled to resume in May 2022)
PDX-PHL - 132 (PHL currently isn't served nonstop from PDX on either AA or AS)
PDX-BNA - 121
PDX-STL - 120 (previously served nonstop by AS)
PDX-TPA - 102 (AS planning on operating Saturday-only PDX-TPA nonstop flights in April 2022)
PDX-CLT - 95 (CLT not currently served by AS)
PDX-IND - 89
PDX-RDU - 81
PDX-SAT - 81
PDX-CMH - 79
PDX-CLE/CAK - 77

From these numbers, AS could definitely announce daily 737 flights for PDX-ATL/IAH right now. PDX-STL on an E175 is also definitely doable right now, especially now that WN is only planning on flying this route on Saturdays. AS will be flying PDX-MCI by this summer. PDX-MIA/DTW could probably be less-than-daily 737 routes.

To be honest, PDX-PHL/BNA look pretty weak for a 737, and SAT also looks weak for an E175. If PDX-PHL/BNA/SAT are launched, we'll probably have to wait until the pandemic is well behind us.

I don't think this is said often enough on here, but it's important to remember that just because the PDEW for a given route exceeds an aircraft's seat capacity doesn't mean that a nonstop flight is warranted. Airlines are always undercutting one another on fares; for example, if AS offers a nonstop PDX-PHL flight for $149, UA can offer a PDX-ORD-PHL flight for $108, and most leisure/VFR passengers would still gravitate towards the cheaper connecting flight. Since business traffic is still way below pre-pandemic levels, more and more passengers are willing to connect at the large airline hubs to save $$$.
Last edited by AC4500 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AC4500

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:07 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I didn't realize AS quit flying between SJC and PDX. I hope it's just temporary. But as of the end of March, it wasn't there.

I'm still seeing PDX-SJC. What dates are you looking at?

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:36 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

My bad...there was one nonstop flight between SJC and PDX on Saturday, 3/26...and the fare was exorbitant.

AC4500

Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:43 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

My bad...there was one nonstop flight between SJC and PDX on Saturday, 3/26...and the fare was exorbitant.

SJC (and the whole Bay Area as a whole) typically sees fewer flights on the weekends.

Although, just 1 flight is really odd, especially during spring break.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos