Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyoregon

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2022

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:04 am

zonks wrote:
For all the doom and gloom about Portland, I do think PDX's struggles are more an effect of:

a) Isolated geographical location and relatively small population, meaning that no other airline will set up a hub here
b) Portland's uniqueness has been co-opted by many other cities, most of which are closer to where the majority of the population of the country lives (why travel to Portland from Chicago when you could go to somewhere like Nashville?)
c) Business has never been Portland's strong suit
d) Seattle has just gotten so much bigger compared to Portland, especially from a business standpoint so it makes sense for AS to focus its energy there.

All the times I've been downtown or in the central city recently, I have noticed a lot of younger tourists from nearby states. I think some older folks are scared off but young Californians still seem to like visiting, dining out and doing some tax free shopping. YMMV.

I mostly agree with all of your points, except for the "relatively small population" claim. Yes, it's Seattle, San Francisco, or Los Angeles...not even close. But the Combined Statistical Area is number 19 based on the 2020 census at nearly 3.3 million people with a 12.30% increase from 2010. It sits just behind Denver which is 3.6 million.

That being said, sure, not huge, but not really small either. I know population isn't the only factor that goes into airline service, and I agree with the other 3 points you make. Portland is in a weird spot being close to Seattle, it's not a geographically located to be an optimal hub like DEN/SLC, but for an area of it's size, I think it should have a little more than it does.

jplatts

Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:39 am

AC4500 wrote:
Alaska loaded a whole bunch of cuts for the summer:

PDX-ABQ/AUS reduced to 4x weekly.
PDX-MSP reduced to 5x weekly.
PDX-DAL/KOA/LIH/PSP all gone.

WN re-adding PDX-AUS nonstop service is a possibility once WN has more staff and more planes.

Here were the number of passengers, number of seats, and load factors for WN PDX-ABQ/AUS nonstop service in 2017:
PDX-ABQ - 26369 passengers, 31509 seats, 83.69% load factor
PDX-AUS - 16654 passengers, 17764 seats, 93.75% load factor

PDX can probably easily support the return of WN PDX-AUS nonstop service with the cuts that AS has made on the PDX-AUS route along with the strong load factors that WN had on the PDX-AUS route 5 years ago and the much bigger presence that WN now has at AUS.

I can understand AS having completely dropped PDX-DAL nonstop service with both AA and AS still serving DFW nonstop from PDX along with AA being able to get some of AS FF's in Greater Portland onto its PDX-DFW nonstop flights due to the AA-AS partnership. There are also some AA FF's in the Dallas/Fort Worth market who prefer an AA-operated flight over an AS-operated flight.

WN re-adding PDX-ABQ nonstop service might also be a possibility with the cuts that AS has made on the PDX-ABQ route and with the significant market share that WN has in the ABQ market.

WN adding PDX to Hawaii nonstop flights might be a possibility with the cuts that AS has made on PDX to Hawaii nonstop service.

WN increasing PDX-DAL nonstop service back to daily nonstop service is a possibility, especially with WN having previously operated daily nonstop service to DAL from PDX.

There are also some other adds that WN could make out of PDX such as the return of PDX-HOU/LAX nonstop service and the addition of PDX-BNA nonstop service.

There is currently no nonstop competition on PDX-IAH with UA currently being the only airline serving the Houston market nonstop from PDX. WN is also planning on further expansion at HOU once more gates are added (despite WN having recently made some cuts at HOU due to the operational issues that WN is currently facing), which was discussed at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1468481&start=50#p23204039.

Will WN take advantage of the opportunities to further expand at PDX once WN has more planes and more staff, especially with the cuts that AS has recently made at PDX?

wedgetail737

Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:15 am

bobsmith99 wrote:
jsta1981 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
Unfortunately PDX routes are the first to get cut as AS wouldn't dare surrender any capacity to DL at SEA. And AS assumes PDX people can simply catch a connecting flight at SEA. I hope DL swoops into PDX and starts a few flights like SAN or SFO.

Unfortunately the Portland market is a shell of what it was 3 or 4 years ago when it was kind of a niche travel destination. Tourists could visit for the beer, wine, and food, but now many other midsize cities are offering the same thing...minus the homeless. So many restaurants and breweries closed due to the governors over reach. Downtown is dark and dangerous....with not much going on unless there is a concert or broadway play. No museums to write home about. Business travel is wayyy down with telework. The Portland market is in a bad spot right now. Seattle....though not much better regarding policies and homeless.....at least has a much larger tourism industry, 3 national parks in the area, the downtown area is buzzing with folks, and obviously has a HUGE business market, not too mention a metro population double the size of Portland and much much more wealthy. Alaska is gonna fly where the money is. And right now....with Portland being in such a bad spot....Seattle is where the money is.
jsta1981 wrote:
ANA787 wrote:
Unfortunately PDX routes are the first to get cut as AS wouldn't dare surrender any capacity to DL at SEA. And AS assumes PDX people can simply catch a connecting flight at SEA. I hope DL swoops into PDX and starts a few flights like SAN or SFO.

Unfortunately the Portland market is a shell of what it was 3 or 4 years ago when it was kind of a niche travel destination. Tourists could visit for the beer, wine, and food, but now many other midsize cities are offering the same thing...minus the homeless. So many restaurants and breweries closed due to the governors over reach. Downtown is dark and dangerous....with not much going on unless there is a concert or broadway play. No museums to write home about. Business travel is wayyy down with telework. The Portland market is in a bad spot right now. Seattle....though not much better regarding policies and homeless.....at least has a much larger tourism industry, 3 national parks in the area, the downtown area is buzzing with folks, and obviously has a HUGE business market, not too mention a metro population double the size of Portland and much much more wealthy. Alaska is gonna fly where the money is. And right now....with Portland being in such a bad spot....Seattle is where the money is.

Alaska has major operational issues right now. Although pilot shortages are an industrywide issue, it is worse with Alaska and their reputation has taken a major hit with all of the cancellations, unhappy employees and, as a result, unhappy customers.

Regarding the comment about Portland, yes there are issues. However, things are coming back- I have an Airbnb that I rent out and it is booked solid for the next 4 months- and folks talk about how much they love it here. So I guess it is all relative. Regarding Seattle, I was there a few weeks downtown and it is very rough there as well- I'd say worse than Portland. Also, the housing market is still booming in Portland so the demand to be here is definitely still the case.

I think WN and NK's crew shortage issues are a lot more impactful than what AS is dealing with these days.

zonks

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:19 pm

flyoregon wrote:
I mostly agree with all of your points, except for the "relatively small population" claim. Yes, it's Seattle, San Francisco, or Los Angeles...not even close. But the Combined Statistical Area is number 19 based on the 2020 census at nearly 3.3 million people with a 12.30% increase from 2010. It sits just behind Denver which is 3.6 million.

That being said, sure, not huge, but not really small either. I know population isn't the only factor that goes into airline service, and I agree with the other 3 points you make. Portland is in a weird spot being close to Seattle, it's not a geographically located to be an optimal hub like DEN/SLC, but for an area of it's size, I think it should have a little more than it does.

In terms of the metro population size and the comparison, I think what we're not privy to is the spending power of those 3.3m here versus the 3.6m in Denver along with the relative travel patterns of the respective populations. Denver, of course, also has the benefit of a much more central location, making it an obvious place for a hub, so much so that three airlines have a hub there. In addition, I think the tourist draws of the nearby world class skiing areas dwarf whatever zany donuts we can offer here in Portland. The fact that Denver has all four (five if you want to count MLS) major sports in their market probably speaks to a much larger corporate base there that has never been present in Portland and probably never will.

I agree that we should have more service and some of the AS cuts are ridiculous but then again, who else is going to step in and fly a bunch of non-stops to Montana? I suppose PDX could eventually be ripe for someone like Avelo or Breeze but the moment a new entrant comes into the market, AS is going to dump capacity and lower prices in order to drive said new entrant out... and then it's back to the status quo.

AC4500

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:27 pm

zonks wrote:

I agree that we should have more service and some of the AS cuts are ridiculous but then again, who else is going to step in and fly a bunch of non-stops to Montana? I suppose PDX could eventually be ripe for someone like Avelo or Breeze but the moment a new entrant comes into the market, AS is going to dump capacity and lower prices in order to drive said new entrant out... and then it's back to the status quo.

Allegiant briefly flew PDX-BIL and PDX-MSO. That didn't last for very long. I don't think any other airline would step into these markets unless United decided to do something "out-of-the box" like they did on the east coast (i.e. PWM to CVG/CLE/CMH/IND/MKE/PIT).

AC4500

Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:29 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I think WN and NK's crew shortage issues are a lot more impactful than what AS is dealing with these days.

I agree with this. I think us folks on the West Coast are often unintentionally biased, since AS is the largest carrier in the PNW. It's important to put things into perspective.

jplatts

Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:48 pm

zonks wrote:

There are a few AS destinations not served nonstop out of PDX by AS that do have nonstop service out of PDX on other airlines, including ATL on DL, DTW on DL, IAH on UA, IDA on G4, STL on WN, and IAD on UA.

DL PDX-ATL/DTW and UA PDX-IAH/IAD are examples of major market to hub nonstop routes that would be served nonstop regardless of any nonstop competition that is there on the routes, and there is currently no nonstop competition on PDX-ATL/DTW/IAH (even though AS had previously operated PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service and WN had previously operated PDX-HOU nonstop service).

AS still serves DCA nonstop from PDX due to the beyond-perimeter slot exemptions that are held by AS along with PDX being the closest commercial airport to Salem, OR (the capital city of Oregon). AS also has AA's significant FF base in DC (due to the AA DCA hub) to support PDX-DCA nonstop service on AS.

G4 isn't currently facing the risk of a competitive response from AS on its PDX-DSM/GRR routes with AS not currently serving DSM or GRR.

It is hard to say if AS would actually make competitive adds such as PDX-IAH/IDA or the return of PDX-ATL/DTW/STL nonstop service.

ANA787

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:16 am

Noticed that BA has added their codeshare flight # to several AS flights to/from PDX. So far BA flight# placed on select PDX-BOI/GEG/SEA/RNO flights. Anyone see any others?

AC4500

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:24 am

ANA787 wrote:
Noticed that BA has added their codeshare flight # to several AS flights to/from PDX. So far BA flight# placed on select PDX-BOI/GEG/SEA/RNO flights. Anyone see any others?

I'm seeing PDX-FAT/OAK/SJC/SLC/SMF as well. I even see PDX-ANC, although that one involves a 5 hour layover.
Last edited by AC4500 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

AC4500

Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:29 am

Those connections are going to be quite inconvenient with re-entering security, since the concourse connector is closed. Pretty sure concourse C can't take any international arrivals.

midway7

Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:51 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Those connections are going to be quite inconvenient with re-entering security, since the concourse connector is closed. Pretty sure concourse C can't take any international arrivals.

In addition, if you are going to Concourse C, you will also have to take the Port bus from FIS to domestic baggage claim. If they reopen the bypass and Concourse D TSA checkpoint, this will at least allow those with connections in D or E to avoid the bus. The FIS bus is horrible! If your flight is full or several flights arrive at the same time, the lines can be long.

Pdxfan

Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:48 am

zonks wrote:
For all the doom and gloom about Portland, I do think PDX's struggles are more an effect of:

a) Isolated geographical location and relatively small population, meaning that no other airline will set up a hub here
b) Portland's uniqueness has been co-opted by many other cities, most of which are closer to where the majority of the population of the country lives (why travel to Portland from Chicago when you could go to somewhere like Nashville?)
c) Business has never been Portland's strong suit
d) Seattle has just gotten so much bigger compared to Portland, especially from a business standpoint so it makes sense for AS to focus its energy there.

All the times I've been downtown or in the central city recently, I have noticed a lot of younger tourists from nearby states. I think some older folks are scared off but young Californians still seem to like visiting, dining out and doing some tax free shopping. YMMV.

I hope in the long run, after this Covid slump, things will turn around nicely for Portland/PDX. There may be other mid size cities that have beer and good food, but not many offer nearby attractions like Mt Hood, Columbia Gorge, waterfalls, Oregon Coast, wine country... I'd think after a few years, when a Seattle is saturated and the delays pile up, Alaska would want to feed some more connections through a more efficient and user friendly airport.

ANA787

Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:03 pm

PDX-AMS scheduled to return next week (May 5). For the first time in over 2 years PDX will once again be connected to mainland Europe. Interestingly DL has upgraded this to A330-300 for most of May and June.

toobz

Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:00 pm

The upcoming flights are full too.

AC4500

Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:59 pm

Delta to go 2x daily on PDX-JFK starting September 12th: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... gYIAxAAGAA

Glad to see that extra capacity to NYC where AS seems to have dropped the ball. When AS dropped their second daily PDX-JFK flight, they should have added another PDX-EWR flight instead. Fingers crossed that DL's schedule sticks.

They also appear to be maintaining 2x daily on PDX-DTW through the fall.

ANA787

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:18 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Delta to go 2x daily on PDX-JFK starting September 12th: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... gYIAxAAGAA

Glad to see that extra capacity to NYC where AS seems to have dropped the ball. When AS dropped their second daily PDX-JFK flight, they should have added another PDX-EWR flight instead. Fingers crossed that DL's schedule sticks.

DL finally restoring its precovid capacity at PDX. In the summer 2019 DL was up to 3x daily PDX-JFK. We’ll probably see that back in summer 2023, and I anticipate we’ll also see DL jump back into PDX-HNL with a 737 at some point and maybe add a couple other points such as ANC since AS is struggling with capacity.

pdxav8r

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:35 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Switched your search to EWR, saw UA will add a second flight as well.

AC4500

Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:50 pm

pdxav8r wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Switched your search to EWR, saw UA will add a second flight as well.

I believe UA has always been at 2x daily for PDX-EWR in the summer. Their second daily PDX-EWR flight actually starts in a few days (May 6th), in what looks like may be one of UA's first non hub-to-hub transcon MAX-8 routes: https://www.google.com/travel/flights/s ... gYIAxAAGAA

TransWorldOne

Sun May 01, 2022 9:48 pm

From the article : "The residual falloff in Portland air travel is more than twice as steep as the national decline, and the gap is getting wider."

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/202 ... ravel.html

Pdxfan

Mon May 02, 2022 12:34 am

TransWorldOne wrote:
From the article : "The residual falloff in Portland air travel is more than twice as steep as the national decline, and the gap is getting wider."

As international routes return and Portland gets further away from its 2020 bruising, things will bounce back. As the article noted, hub airports like Seattle are the focus of the airlines as they recover from Covid, as we're seeing with AS feeding so many formerly nonstop PDX routes through there.

pdxplanes837362

Mon May 02, 2022 2:16 pm

Pdxfan wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

As international routes return and Portland gets further away from its 2020 bruising, things will bounce back. As the article noted, hub airports like Seattle are the focus of the airlines as they recover from Covid, as we're seeing with AS feeding so many formerly nonstop PDX routes through there.

I think it says something about this market though that come November of this year we will be a net-gain on long haul international routes once Delta hopefully launches ICN & HND. The Asia market is no doubt recovering slower, but with the business/cargo interests in Portland + a fair bit of tourism I think it would take another full-on lockdown to delay launch again.

TransWorldOne

Mon May 02, 2022 4:24 pm

pdxplanes837362 wrote:
Pdxfan wrote:
TransWorldOne wrote:

I think it says something about this market though that come November of this year we will be a net-gain on long haul international routes once Delta hopefully launches ICN & HND. The Asia market is no doubt recovering slower, but with the business/cargo interests in Portland + a fair bit of tourism I think it would take another full-on lockdown to delay launch again.

Call me a pessimist, but it seems very unlikely to me that Delta would launch two transpacific routes from a non hub airport heading into the slow season. Especially with Asia demand depressed as it is. I can’t imagine traffic to Asia will significantly rebound in 4 months from now.

zonks

Mon May 02, 2022 4:54 pm

It will be interesting to see with Asia because you do have some countries like South Korea and Singapore which are now open to all visitors and no longer require any sort of quarantine period. In fact, my family and I are considering a trip to Seoul this summer. I would assume that DL is in a wait and see mode and I think the two big ones they're waiting for are China (not likely) and Japan (likely but with many restrictions). I could see PDX - ICN in part because of the ability to funnel traffic onto KE flights from ICN to places that are open, such as KUL, SIN, BKK, etc.

panam330

Mon May 02, 2022 7:13 pm

ANA787 wrote:
DL finally restoring its precovid capacity at PDX. In the summer 2019 DL was up to 3x daily PDX-JFK. We’ll probably see that back in summer 2023, and I anticipate we’ll also see DL jump back into PDX-HNL with a 737 at some point and maybe add a couple other points such as ANC since AS is struggling with capacity.

I want PDX to get a lot more service too, but anticipate we won't see any of that given their hub up the road in SEA. Additionally there is the need to restore pre-Covid capacity at their hubs before beginning new flying outside of focus cities and hubs, of which PDX and ANC are neither.

Phobia07

Thu May 05, 2022 3:00 pm

Delta’s PDX-AMS route kicks off today at 1:20pm. I looked at some flights throughout this week, they are near full capacity even with Delta utilizing the larger A330-300. Glad to have year-round service to Europe back at PDX

zonks

Thu May 05, 2022 7:36 pm

Phobia07 wrote:
Delta’s PDX-AMS route kicks off today at 1:20pm. I looked at some flights throughout this week, they are near full capacity even with Delta utilizing the larger A330-300. Glad to have year-round service to Europe back at PDX

I'm glad too but what's a little unexpected is that it looks like DL positioned today's A333 from SEA instead of placing it on an ATL-PDX segment last night:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n826nw

toobz

Thu May 05, 2022 9:25 pm

My mom is on the AMS flight. They had a party at the gate. Everyone got a fancy cupcake. Flight is full!

pdxplanes837362

Thu May 05, 2022 10:41 pm

Phobia07 wrote:

Anyone get a video of the takeoff?

flyoregon

Fri May 06, 2022 5:16 pm

Saw a thread on Twitter showing Allegiant plans to announce nonstop flights from Portland to Provo, Utah

AC4500

Fri May 06, 2022 5:27 pm

flyoregon wrote:
Saw a thread on Twitter showing Allegiant plans to announce nonstop flights from Portland to Provo, Utah

Yep: https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1522625470025674752

This flight will do well. Glad to see Allegiant expanding here.

flyoregon

Fri May 06, 2022 5:33 pm

AC4500 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Yep: https://twitter.com/IshrionA/status/1522625470025674752

This flight will do well. Glad to see Allegiant expanding here.

I’ll be using it at least a couple times a year to get to Heber City

flyoregon

Fri May 06, 2022 9:08 pm

I know that SLE applied for some federal funding to get 4 nonstop routes (LAS, PHX, LA and Bay Area). It’s not necessarily an equal comparison to Provo, but SLE can and hopefully will be a nice alternative to PDX. The Portland CSA, which includes Salem, is larger than the Salt Lake City CSA, which includes Provo. I recognize Provo is an up and coming tech and startup center and Salem is not, but there’s very little reason why Salem couldn’t support air service today.

The Delta flight to SLC in 2007/2008 was a very successful route until the economic downturn of 2008 when costs skyrocketed. Yes, fuel is up right now, but airlines are run and managed more responsibly 14 years later, and demographics have changed in the area as well. I think Salem is a great candidate for Breeze or Allegiant

kwbl

Fri May 06, 2022 9:19 pm

I received a note from the group that is trying to recruit an airline that they do have a letter of intent from an airline and expect a second one. The SCASD grant application included a confidential document that you can’t see. My guess is that it is the letter from an airline. My guess is that it is breeze with a slight possibility of allegiant. The fly SLE.com website has a list of carriers they’ve had conversations with but these two seem the most likely.

AC4500

Sat May 07, 2022 4:29 pm

It looks like PDX-PVU on G4 will begin September 2nd, operating twice weekly (Monday & Friday). The flight schedule varies quite a bit overtime, but the initial flights appear to be:

PVU-PDX: 10:57 AM - 11:56 AM
PDX-PVU: 12:41 PM - 3:29 PM

One-way fares are as low as $33.
Last edited by AC4500 on Sat May 07, 2022 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AC4500

Sat May 07, 2022 4:33 pm

flyoregon wrote:
I know that SLE applied for some federal funding to get 4 nonstop routes (LAS, PHX, LA and Bay Area). It’s not necessarily an equal comparison to Provo, but SLE can and hopefully will be a nice alternative to PDX. The Portland CSA, which includes Salem, is larger than the Salt Lake City CSA, which includes Provo. I recognize Provo is an up and coming tech and startup center and Salem is not, but there’s very little reason why Salem couldn’t support air service today.

The Delta flight to SLC in 2007/2008 was a very successful route until the economic downturn of 2008 when costs skyrocketed. Yes, fuel is up right now, but airlines are run and managed more responsibly 14 years later, and demographics have changed in the area as well. I think Salem is a great candidate for Breeze or Allegiant

I would be shocked if Breeze added SLE. It seems like their west coast operation will be mostly focused in California, Then again, I'd be shocked if any airline added SLE anytime soon. SLE seems like an Allegiant-type of market, but are SLE's runways long enough for an Allegiant A320 to take-off and land on?

I believe SLE tried to get SFO and DEN on United a few years back, but were unsuccessful. Didn't Salem's Airport Advisory Commission rule down commercial air service as well?

flyoregon

Sat May 07, 2022 5:09 pm

AC4500 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

I would be shocked if Breeze added SLE. It seems like their west coast operation will be mostly focused in California, Then again, I'd be shocked if any airline added SLE anytime soon. SLE seems like an Allegiant-type of market, but are SLE's runways long enough for an Allegiant A320 to take-off and land on?

I believe SLE tried to get SFO and DEN on United a few years back, but were unsuccessful. Didn't Salem's Airport Advisory Commission rule down commercial air service as well?

Salem has a 5,811 x 150 foot runway. By comparison, Orange County’s primary runway is 5,700 x 150. So short answer, yes, runway length for short leg flights to west coast destinations wouldn’t be a problem. SLE has gotten and still gets military charters with 737s (probably A320s also) fairly often. The bigger “concern” is the current facilities for a terminal, if you want to call it that. It’ll need some updating and improving.

kwbl

Sat May 07, 2022 6:01 pm

Salem's airport advisory commission has approved and supports the pursuit of service. as i said, they have a letter of intent from an airline already. My guess is is Breeze because they fit the list of destinations listed in the SCASD grant and the flysle website. And, Breeze has nothing in northwest yet. Not saying that it absolutely Breeze but seems to be the most likely beyond Allegiant which served PDX and EUG already

They are still talking with United/Skywest for SFO and DEN but we'll see.

pdxplanes837362

Tue May 10, 2022 6:29 pm

Condor returns to PDX on Friday with service to FRA on a 763!!

Toyotagt1

Tue May 10, 2022 7:15 pm

According to TSA they are currently hiring for SLE

flyoregon

Wed May 11, 2022 12:50 am

pdxplanes837362 wrote:
Condor returns to PDX on Friday with service to FRA on a 763!!

And Icelandair is inbound over BTG as I type this…nice to see these flights all back again

lhpdx

Wed May 11, 2022 1:53 am

Toyotagt1 wrote:
According to TSA they are currently hiring for SLE

I would be great if Propeller airport would swoop into KSLE and build a proper airport as they did at Paine field...One can only dream...

pdxplanes837362

Wed May 11, 2022 4:23 am

Wow! What a month it will be, starting in may with DL to AMS, then this week with DE to FRA and FI to KEF, then finishing off the month (not quite;) with BA to LHR! Amazing how much can change in a month.

bobsmith99

Wed May 11, 2022 4:50 pm

pdxplanes837362 wrote:
Wow! What a month it will be, starting in may with DL to AMS, then this week with DE to FRA and FI to KEF, then finishing off the month (not quite;) with BA to LHR! Amazing how much can change in a month.

Agreed! I was on the 2nd flight of the AMS-PDX restart and it was pretty much completely full. The service was amazing too.

toobz

Wed May 11, 2022 5:03 pm

My mom was on the thursday 1st flight. Totally packed and she commented the same! Awesome service from the PDX based crew. They were very excited to return to intl flying

pdxplanes837362

Thu May 12, 2022 3:00 am

toobz wrote:
My mom was on the thursday 1st flight. Totally packed and she commented the same! Awesome service from the PDX based crew. They were very excited to return to intl flying

That’s great to hear! Will be taking that flight in august on D1, super excited to try out long haul business for the first time.

AS737MAX

Fri May 13, 2022 3:34 pm

Expect to see AS take a hit on operations over the next few weeks. My DEN-PDX segment for Saturday the 21st has been cancelled while AS maintains 4x daily DEN-SEA. CEO Minicucci: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPxjoatllI

AC4500

Fri May 13, 2022 5:49 pm

AS737MAX wrote:
Expect to see AS take a hit on operations over the next few weeks. My DEN-PDX segment for Saturday the 21st has been cancelled while AS maintains 4x daily DEN-SEA. CEO Minicucci: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EPxjoatllI

I fly PDX-DEN about twice a month, and I've avoided AS on this route simply because their schedule is so week. Once AS goes back to 2x daily, I'll reconsider flying them again. UA and WN have had lots of issues too, but at least they have more flexible flight schedules for rebooking.

AS737MAX

Sat May 14, 2022 4:35 am

AC4500 wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:

I fly PDX-DEN about twice a month, and I've avoided AS on this route simply because their schedule is so week. Once AS goes back to 2x daily, I'll reconsider flying them again. UA and WN have had lots of issues too, but at least they have more flexible flight schedules for rebooking.

It's pretty pathetic, from AS, if I'm being honest. I'm now at 2 reservations this year where nonstop service to PDX was completely axed (BZN and now DEN) and yet somehow, in the case of DEN, AS is still running 4x DEN-SEA at least next Saturday. The video they put out doesn't do much for me either, and I don't blame you for shifting your business and flying on other carriers. I'm only an AS MVP but this is starting to get old, wish they had some miles or coupon codes out to give out rather than a PR stunt for apologizing for mismanagement.

AC4500

Sun May 15, 2022 5:38 pm

The AS carnage continues.

PDX to BIL/BZN/DAL/MCI/MSO/MSP/TUS/YVR suspended from 10/4 to 11/17. PDX-KOA/LIH/PVR/SJD are also all Saturday-only until 11/18.

Was considering booking PDX-TUS in October, which I'll no longer be able to do. Is AS really planning for staffing shortages all the way to the end of 2022?
Last edited by AC4500 on Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flyoregon

Sun May 15, 2022 6:05 pm

AC4500 wrote:
The AS carnage continues.

PDX to BIL/BZN/DAL/MCI/MSO/MSP/TUS/YVR suspended from 10/4 to 11/17. PDX-KOA/LIH/PVR/SJD are also all Saturday-only until 11/18.

Was considering booking PDX-TUS in October, which I'll no longer be able to do. Is AS really planning for staffing shortages all the way to the end of 2022?

Great way to lose business to other airlines. I’ll be one of them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos