Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RWA380

Re: Oregon Aviation Thread - 2022

Sun May 15, 2022 8:27 pm

flyoregon wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
The AS carnage continues.

PDX to BIL/BZN/DAL/MCI/MSO/MSP/TUS/YVR suspended from 10/4 to 11/17. PDX-KOA/LIH/PVR/SJD are also all Saturday-only until 11/18.

Was considering booking PDX-TUS in October, which I'll no longer be able to do. Is AS really planning for staffing shortages all the way to the end of 2022?

Great way to lose business to other airlines. I’ll be one of them.

Having only flown non-rev on AS for over two years & despite buying some item on Alaska shopping.com my miles were taken, so now I have a mere 1,453 miles & they are not interested in restoring them. Once we moved to RDM, it's much harder to fly AAG, even though they offer the most non-stop destinations, with SAN, LAX, SFO, SJC & SEA.

None of those are the destinations I want to fly to, well maybe SF. But even with both AS & UA on that route, the fares remain higher than other cities like SEA, albeit closer, the battle is increase between DL & AS, but neither can offer RIC with just 1 connection, nor AA.

One could fly AS to SFO then MX (Breeze) non-stop to Richmond on their new A-220's & I was tempted, but the layovers would be 4 hours or so in each direction, but we'd need the time to reclaim our luggage & check-in with the next carrier, both ways.

Now if MX starts flying to SLE as is suggested, we could fly both legs & at least have them in the same PNR, even with an overnight. I'd do it to kill a few birds, get my first commercial flight out of SLE, I've got a growing, albeit slowly, list of airports on Oregon I've flown into or out of, SLE would be a new one for me & unfortunately I've missed my shot at LMT. But the rest are all under my belt.

It wpould also get two types under my belt with the larger Embraer & the new Airbus 220. Plus a new carrier with Breeze the entire way. This is how I saw my retirement being, trying new carriers. We are also taking A-ha to Reno NV soon, before it stops for any reason, 2-3 nights sounds awesome. Of course we must try Avelo as well out of our little town, I hope more happens out here, I think it will this year, at least I hope we get our ORD flight reinstated.

I also wonder what happened to the 600k granted to RDM to attract a new carrier to fly RDM-DFW & it was expected that AA would announce service on the E-175LR, has there been any further info? If AAG does not start, what's the chance of AAG starting it with QX or OO? It could allow connections to the entire AA network, as RDM is NOT a hub city for AAG or AA, part of their partnership contract allows this kind of unfettered access to AA's network.

So we have switched to UA out of here, I can get SF, if wanted, but more importantly Hawaii, all 4 Islands is one connection & my In-laws live in Lynchburg VA & UA is the ONLY cartrier with 1 connection service via DEN. All mainline A-319's & not even close to my favorite aircraft, but we can get there in just over 7 hours & close to 8 on the return, that is awesome out of here, so thankful for my new carrier from RDM.

Toyotagt1

Mon May 16, 2022 8:56 am

According to AA RDM-DFW will hopefully start in spring of 2023 due to plane/ crew shortages. Looks like it will start out as an Skywest or Envoy E175. As a note RDM-PHX will be going to a Skywest E175 starting in August.

ANA787

Mon May 16, 2022 4:14 pm

AC4500 wrote:

PDX to BIL/BZN/DAL/MCI/MSO/MSP/TUS/YVR suspended from 10/4 to 11/17. PDX-KOA/LIH/PVR/SJD are also all Saturday-only until 11/18.

Was considering booking PDX-TUS in October, which I'll no longer be able to do. Is AS really planning for staffing shortages all the way to the end of 2022?

Had PDX-AUS booked, and then noticed a schedule change. PDX-AUS has been cut to 4x/week during peak summer season! Also noticed PDX-ABQ cut to 4x/week peak summer season.

flyoregon

Tue May 17, 2022 3:56 pm

Does AC still run PDX-YYC or has WestJet stolen that route completely?

panam330

Tue May 17, 2022 5:17 pm

flyoregon wrote:
Does AC still run PDX-YYC or has WestJet stolen that route completely?

It’s gone from AC’s network.

RWA380

Tue May 17, 2022 5:36 pm

Toyotagt1 wrote:
According to AA RDM-DFW will hopefully start in spring of 2023 due to plane/ crew shortages. Looks like it will start out as an Skywest or Envoy E175. As a note RDM-PHX will be going to a Skywest E175 starting in August.

That is great news, if it comes to fruition, I may change my loyalties back to AAG & AA. But if the flight is timed for any connection to RIC or ROA, it'll be my new lifeline to the In-laws. I have still to fly an E-175 also, so get the type under my belt. I've heard even on 4 hour flights, they are not a bad ride at all. I hope it happens, thanks for the insight. Additionally, an E-175 RDM-PHX is better than the CR9 on it now.

Phobia07

Wed May 18, 2022 2:16 am

AC4500 wrote:

I am 75 percent sure DL, WN or G4 are going to capitalize on this AS disaster. I think AS is getting complacent in PDX and it could end up costing them significant market share down the road. Side note: The leisure market seems especially affected, I wonder if we could see a little expansion from the ULCCs following these cuts

flyoregon

Wed May 18, 2022 2:51 am

Phobia07 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I am 75 percent sure DL, WN or G4 are going to capitalize on this AS disaster. I think AS is getting complacent in PDX and it could end up costing them significant market share down the road. Side note: The leisure market seems especially affected, I wonder if we could see a little expansion from the ULCCs following these cuts

It's not like PDX is a small or insignificant market. Sure, it's not SEA, but the CSA is 3mm+ people. And while the business climate is a little weak, it still exists. I do think that if another carrier came into Portland trying to steal market, I suspect (and hope) Alaska would respond with similar tenacity as they did in SEA when Delta started to expand. They know Portland is an important and valuable market/hub for them. That being said, it is getting frustrating, and as I've said up thread, I've started flying Delta/United/Southwest a lot more than I thought I ever would because of the weak Alaska schedule and their lack of dependability. Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.

midway7

Thu May 19, 2022 2:52 pm

If anyone is interested, it looks like Icelandair is using C23 for their departures now. Will be cool to see the 757 on the C Concourse.

wedgetail737

Thu May 19, 2022 2:56 pm

flyoregon wrote:
Phobia07 wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

It's not like PDX is a small or insignificant market. Sure, it's not SEA, but the CSA is 3mm+ people. And while the business climate is a little weak, it still exists. I do think that if another carrier came into Portland trying to steal market, I suspect (and hope) Alaska would respond with similar tenacity as they did in SEA when Delta started to expand. They know Portland is an important and valuable market/hub for them. That being said, it is getting frustrating, and as I've said up thread, I've started flying Delta/United/Southwest a lot more than I thought I ever would because of the weak Alaska schedule and their lack of dependability. Hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.

I think the theory is pretty simple. If people don't fly on the routes, then the airline will quit flying them.

wedgetail737

Thu May 19, 2022 2:58 pm

midway7 wrote:
If anyone is interested, it looks like Icelandair is using C23 for their departures now. Will be cool to see the 757 on the C Concourse.

It makes some sense considering that FI is an AS partner. Also, since the aircraft spends the night at PDX (like SEA), that makes it pretty easy.

AC4500

Thu May 19, 2022 3:32 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
Phobia07 wrote:

I think the theory is pretty simple. If people don't fly on the routes, then the airline will quit flying them.

Sure, but AS prioritizes flowing traffic through SEA as opposed to starting (or resuming) PDX nonstops. In most cases, this strategy makes sense, especially when fighting off DL in Seattle. However, offering routes like PDX-BIL/BZN/MSO on a Saturday-only basis is just ridiculous and pointless. There's no way that demand has shrunk to only justify a single weekly flight.

And offering PDX-DEN 1x daily, or suspending the route entirely??? C'mon. PDX-DEN is the second busiest route from Portland just behind PDX-SEA. You'd think AS would want to remain competitive on such a lucrative route. I won't be flying AS to DEN until they start flying at least 2x daily on that route. I don't want my flight to be cancelled and have no other option but to be shuttled up to SEA to catch another flight.

Aliqiout

Thu May 19, 2022 3:56 pm

RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Having only flown non-rev on AS for over two years & despite buying some item on Alaska shopping.com my miles were taken, so now I have a mere 1,453 miles & they are not interested in restoring them. Once we moved to RDM, it's much harder to fly AAG, even though they offer the most non-stop destinations, with SAN, LAX, SFO, SJC & SEA.

None of those are the destinations I want to fly to, well maybe SF. But even with both AS & UA on that route, the fares remain higher than other cities like SEA, albeit closer, the battle is increase between DL & AS, but neither can offer RIC with just 1 connection, nor AA.

One could fly AS to SFO then MX (Breeze) non-stop to Richmond on their new A-220's & I was tempted, but the layovers would be 4 hours or so in each direction, but we'd need the time to reclaim our luggage & check-in with the next carrier, both ways.

Now if MX starts flying to SLE as is suggested, we could fly both legs & at least have them in the same PNR, even with an overnight. I'd do it to kill a few birds, get my first commercial flight out of SLE, I've got a growing, albeit slowly, list of airports on Oregon I've flown into or out of, SLE would be a new one for me & unfortunately I've missed my shot at LMT. But the rest are all under my belt.

It wpould also get two types under my belt with the larger Embraer & the new Airbus 220. Plus a new carrier with Breeze the entire way. This is how I saw my retirement being, trying new carriers. We are also taking A-ha to Reno NV soon, before it stops for any reason, 2-3 nights sounds awesome. Of course we must try Avelo as well out of our little town, I hope more happens out here, I think it will this year, at least I hope we get our ORD flight reinstated.

I also wonder what happened to the 600k granted to RDM to attract a new carrier to fly RDM-DFW & it was expected that AA would announce service on the E-175LR, has there been any further info? If AAG does not start, what's the chance of AAG starting it with QX or OO? It could allow connections to the entire AA network, as RDM is NOT a hub city for AAG or AA, part of their partnership contract allows this kind of unfettered access to AA's network.

So we have switched to UA out of here, I can get SF, if wanted, but more importantly Hawaii, all 4 Islands is one connection & my In-laws live in Lynchburg VA & UA is the ONLY cartrier with 1 connection service via DEN. All mainline A-319's & not even close to my favorite aircraft, but we can get there in just over 7 hours & close to 8 on the return, that is awesome out of here, so thankful for my new carrier from RDM.

Has MX started selling connections?

Aliqiout

Thu May 19, 2022 4:00 pm

AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Sure, but AS prioritizes flowing traffic through SEA as opposed to starting (or resuming) PDX nonstops. In most cases, this strategy makes sense, especially when fighting off DL in Seattle. However, offering routes like PDX-BIL/BZN/MSO on a Saturday-only basis is just ridiculous and pointless. There's no way that demand has shrunk to only justify a single weekly flight.

And offering PDX-DEN 1x daily, or suspending the route entirely??? C'mon. PDX-DEN is the second busiest route from Portland just behind PDX-SEA. You'd think AS would want to remain competitive on such a lucrative route. I won't be flying AS to DEN until they start flying at least 2x daily on that route. I don't want my flight to be cancelled and have no other option but to be shuttled up to SEA to catch another flight.

Funny you should say that. I have flown between PDX and DEN twice. Once on United: the flight canceled and I was put on PDX-SEA(AS)-DEN(UA) and one on DL: Flight delay caused a misconnection in SLC so went PDX-SEA-SLC-DEN.

AC4500

Thu May 19, 2022 4:19 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

Funny you should say that. I have flown between PDX and DEN twice. Once on United: the flight canceled and I was put on PDX-SEA(AS)-DEN(UA) and one on DL: Flight delay caused a misconnection in SLC so went PDX-SEA-SLC-DEN.

Since I fly PDX-DEN once or twice a month, I've had my fair share of problems with UA, but at least they have several nonstops a day.

I've only had one UA PDX-DEN flight cancelled in the past 12 months, which was in October 2021. Perhaps I've just been lucky. UA ended up rebooking me through SFO, so it seems odd that UA rebooked you through SEA on AS, but I suppose that saved you quite a bit of time as opposed of transiting through SFO.

Aliqiout

Thu May 19, 2022 10:02 pm

AC4500 wrote:
Aliqiout wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

Since I fly PDX-DEN once or twice a month, I've had my fair share of problems with UA, but at least they have several nonstops a day.

I've only had one UA PDX-DEN flight cancelled in the past 12 months, which was in October 2021. Perhaps I've just been lucky. UA ended up rebooking me through SFO, so it seems odd that UA rebooked you through SEA on AS, but I suppose that saved you quite a bit of time as opposed of transiting through SFO.

SFO was indefinitely delayed due to fog. The next week, flying EUG-TYS they refused to put me on AS even though it was obvious I would miss my connection. Ended up with an overnight in ORD and an AA flight the next morning to CHA.

RWA380

Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
RWA380 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Has MX started selling connections?

No, hope they do, but their flights are not currently set up like that. But they are currently offering through flights, like the 4 x daily PVU-SFO-SBD flights are through flights both ways. If SLE is added, I really don't mind laying over with my friends in Daly City. But by having all my flights in one PNR would make it easier for downline issues.

pnwpdx

Fri May 20, 2022 7:52 pm

Any one know why flights are taking a hard left out of today at PDX over downtown?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NKS2806
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA350

Dreamflight767

Fri May 20, 2022 8:36 pm

pnwpdx wrote:
Any one know why flights are taking a hard left out of today at PDX over downtown?
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/NKS2806
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ASA350

TFR at HIO for air show this Fri./Sat./Sun.

ANA787

Tue May 24, 2022 2:23 am

PDX April stats are available. The recovery continues.

https://cdn.portofportland.com/pdfs/April%202022%20Statistics%20(PDF).pdf

flyoregon

Tue May 24, 2022 4:07 am

ANA787 wrote:

Interesting to see the drop in cargo 22 vs. 21.

Also, when is YYZ starting on AC?

sea13

Tue May 24, 2022 4:51 am

flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

PDX’s recovery is going to take a while. I wonder how G4 is doing in PDX. They don’t carry many passengers at PDX. The current routes they have don’t make much sense, with the exception being the newly announced PDX-PVU route.

flyoregon

Tue May 24, 2022 5:17 am

sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

PDX’s recovery is going to take a while. I wonder how G4 is doing in PDX. They don’t carry many passengers at PDX. The current routes they have don’t make much sense, with the exception being the newly announced PDX-PVU route.

3,974 passengers versus 34 flights puts the average load at 116.88 passengers per flight. The routes are odd, but they brought GRR and DSM back, and IDA has maintained year round, so they’re obviously working

AC4500

Tue May 24, 2022 5:28 am

flyoregon wrote:
sea13 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

3,974 passengers versus 34 flights puts the average load at 116.88 passengers per flight. The routes are odd, but they brought GRR and DSM back, and IDA has maintained year round, so they’re obviously working

Both GRR and DSM had an average LF close to 90% last year. Allegiant should really be trying routes like PDX-BNA/CVG/IND.

AS737MAX

Tue May 24, 2022 5:48 am

flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Looks like June 7: https://services.aircanada.com/portal/r ... 75DFD72085

Page 83, bottom of the 2nd column. To be operated with the A220.

flyoregon

Tue May 24, 2022 6:16 am

AS737MAX wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
ANA787 wrote:

Thanks!

Route map in the time table still shows PDX-YYC?

AS737MAX

Tue May 24, 2022 3:29 pm

flyoregon wrote:
AS737MAX wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

Thanks!

Route map in the time table still shows PDX-YYC?

It seems they've amended the document since I posted, so it's now Page 74, second and third columns for anyone looking for the first time.

As for your question, I see that too, but they still show the E190 on the fleet page and not the A220. Probably a missed edit.

skyflyer777

Tue May 24, 2022 5:30 pm

ANA787 wrote:

Not only is the recovery continuing - it seems to be improving faster. The total passengers for April 2022 were 1,228,601 which
exceeds the total passengers for April 2019 which were 1,155,873. This is the first month this year that total passengers have
been greater that the same month in 2019. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues.

flyoregon

Thu May 26, 2022 6:46 am

Is there any rumblings of getting nonstop flights from PDX to BNA/MSY/TPA (year-round)? Surely if BOI can support even a seasonal flight to BNA and SLC can support DL and WN to BNA, then PDX can support it as well. I know MSY was announced on AS but never started, and TPA is seasonal, but these routes seem like low hanging fruit. Aside from aircraft availability, and pilot issues, Alaska seems like the obvious choice, but WN or G4 might do well on these?

gunsontheroof

Thu May 26, 2022 7:11 am

AC4500 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:
sea13 wrote:

Both GRR and DSM had an average LF close to 90% last year. Allegiant should really be trying routes like PDX-BNA/CVG/IND.

Don’t have any stake in these routes, but I’m glad they’re doing well simply because they’re such oddballs. In a different time, I’d probably book one just for the novelty.

sprxUSA

Thu May 26, 2022 10:25 am

flyoregon wrote:
Is there any rumblings of getting nonstop flights from PDX to BNA/MSY/TPA (year-round)? Surely if BOI can support even a seasonal flight to BNA and SLC can support DL and WN to BNA, then PDX can support it as well. I know MSY was announced on AS but never started, and TPA is seasonal, but these routes seem like low hanging fruit. Aside from aircraft availability, and pilot issues, Alaska seems like the obvious choice, but WN or G4 might do well on these?

Well, the BOI-BNA isn't around anymore, so seems it wasn't supported. Guess one season showed G4 it was not a good idea.

midway7

Thu May 26, 2022 6:00 pm

flyoregon wrote:

The best shot I see at any of this is WN to BNA. This would not only cater to the O&D but provide some connectivity (if timed right) to some of the east coast and southeast destinations WN offers from BNA. When I travelled more for work, this would have been a great alternative to MDW. At the time STL served this purpose. If AS could get its act together, they are probably the best shot for MSY and TPA.

ANA787

Thu May 26, 2022 6:24 pm

midway7 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

The best shot I see at any of this is WN to BNA. This would not only cater to the O&D but provide some connectivity (if timed right) to some of the east coast and southeast destinations WN offers from BNA. When I travelled more for work, this would have been a great alternative to MDW. At the time STL served this purpose. If AS could get its act together, they are probably the best shot for MSY and TPA.

I find it shocking the PDX has flights to Grand Rapids and Des Moines and no service to either Nashville or Philadelphia. If we see any expansion soon it wont be by AS as they have their own issues they are dealing with.

flyoregon

Thu May 26, 2022 6:41 pm

ANA787 wrote:
midway7 wrote:
flyoregon wrote:

I find it shocking the PDX has flights to Grand Rapids and Des Moines and no service to either Nashville or Philadelphia. If we see any expansion soon it wont be by AS as they have their own issues they are dealing with.

Nashville, San Antonio, New Orleans, Miami, Philidelphia...

I agree, at this point I don't see Alaska making these happen, as much as I would prefer them too.

midway7

Thu May 26, 2022 8:33 pm

Since MIA and PHL have been added to the list. My 2 cents is AA is the best possibility here. PHL would be great for simple connections to a lot of east coast cities and Europe. Problem is any road warrior will tell you if there is a storm cloud within 10 miles of PHL, the delays can extend out hours. It is a tough alternative to sell to frequent fliers. MIA would be great for O&D, Florida, Carribean, and South America. With everyone here in Portland that you hear talking about travelling to these areas, you would think they could make it work.

jplatts

Thu May 26, 2022 8:59 pm

midway7 wrote:
Since MIA and PHL have been added to the list. My 2 cents is AA is the best possibility here. PHL would be great for simple connections to a lot of east coast cities and Europe. Problem is any road warrior will tell you if there is a storm cloud within 10 miles of PHL, the delays can extend out hours. It is a tough alternative to sell to frequent fliers. MIA would be great for O&D, Florida, Carribean, and South America. With everyone here in Portland that you hear talking about travelling to these areas, you would think they could make it work.

I agree that AA would be more likely to add PDX-MIA/PHL nonstop service than AS would with the operational issues that AS is currently facing.

kwbl

Sat May 28, 2022 7:09 pm

British starts PDX-LHR in just a few days. Any intel on the initial loads look? Sounds like DL’s AMS flights have been full-hoping this one does well too

ANA787

Sat May 28, 2022 7:12 pm

kwbl wrote:
British starts PDX-LHR in just a few days. Any intel on the initial loads look? Sounds like DL’s AMS flights have been full-hoping this one does well too

Hard to tell current loads. The seat maps are looking about half full at this time. British Airways charges an expensive fee to select seats upon buying online, so I believe a large majority seats are unassigned at this moment.

AC4500

Sun May 29, 2022 9:57 pm

Alaska schedule updated through 1/4/23.

Notable schedule changes:
- PDX-MSY back in the schedule. Daily starting 1/5/23 (I doubt it'll actually operate daily).
- PDX-MCO increased to 2x daily during 11/18-11/29 & 12/15-1/4.
- PDX-SMF increased to 5x daily during 11/18-11/29 & 12/15-1/4 (all E175s).
- PDX-BIL/BZN/MCI/MSO/MSP/YVR are all suspended until 3/16/23.
- PDX-CUN/FLL/TPA are all Saturday-only (Sunday return).
- PDX-TUS no longer mainline (back to SkyWest E175).
- PDX-ANC reduced from 3x to 2x daily (permanent change) - someone else desperately needs to jump into this market.

AC4500

Sun May 29, 2022 10:28 pm

flyoregon

Sun May 29, 2022 10:34 pm

AC4500 wrote:

- PDX-MSY back in the schedule. Daily starting 1/5/23 (I doubt it'll actually operate daily).
- PDX-ANC reduced from 3x to 2x daily (permanent change) - someone else desperately needs to jump into this market.

Nice to see MSY back on the schedule and hopefully it does go daily, but January is a long ways out.

The Saturday only routes are pointless IMO. Nice to have the route(s) but not everyone wants or needs a full week at a destination. Better than nothing I guess.

As for ANC, yes, please, either AS provides more flights or someone else come in and add them. I know the history of the route with TW/CO/DL/B6 and others in years past, but surely PDX, Alaska’s #2 hub can have more than 2-3 daily flights. It doesn’t need SEA to ANC frequency, but more would certainly be nice.

SANFan

Sun May 29, 2022 10:58 pm

AC4500 wrote:

I'm a bit confused. If I'm reading your info correctly, In your previous post you say the AS schedules are updated thru 1/4/23 but then say the MSY flight returns on 1/5/23. Doesn't that imply the 1/5 service to MSY is an old place-holder?

Then in the above-referenced post you list a link to a Google post regarding the PDX-MSY return. But that Google post doesn't appear to be anything official does it? It's not from AS as far I can see and looks like it's from someone who saw whet you saw in the schedules.

AS's holiday skeds apparently are effective thru Jan 4 next year but everything beyond that would undoubtedly be place-holders.

I'm confused. As I'm about to start studying the scheds for my airport, I don't want to miss some source of future schedule information.

bb

AC4500

Mon May 30, 2022 12:02 am

SANFan wrote:
AC4500 wrote:

I'm a bit confused. If I'm reading your info correctly, In your previous post you say the AS schedules are updated thru 1/4/23 but then say the MSY flight returns on 1/5/23. Doesn't that imply the 1/5 service to MSY is an old place-holder?

Then in the above-referenced post you list a link to a Google post regarding the PDX-MSY return. But that Google post doesn't appear to be anything official does it? It's not from AS as far I can see and looks like it's from someone who saw whet you saw in the schedules.

AS's holiday skeds apparently are effective thru Jan 4 next year but everything beyond that would undoubtedly be place-holders.

I'm confused. As I'm about to start studying the scheds for my airport, I don't want to miss some source of future schedule information.

bb

I should have clarified-

PDX-MSY has been out of the schedule for several months now. It was only recently added back in as a placeholder. As of now, the placeholder schedule starts at 1/5/23. Since PDX-MSY was recently re-added to the rolling placeholder schedule, I doubt it will actually resume on 1/5, let alone on a daily basis.

In addition, some routes that I listed above like PDX-MCI/MSP/YVR are suspended past the current placeholder date well into March.

The SAN schedule will probably be easier to analyze since there are fewer destinations from there.

SANFan

Mon May 30, 2022 3:55 am

AC4500 wrote:
I should have clarified-

PDX-MSY has been out of the schedule for several months now. It was only recently added back in as a placeholder. As of now, the placeholder schedule starts at 1/5/23. Since PDX-MSY was recently re-added to the rolling placeholder schedule, I doubt it will actually resume on 1/5, let alone on a daily basis.

In addition, some routes that I listed above like PDX-MCI/MSP/YVR are suspended past the current placeholder date well into March.

The SAN schedule will probably be easier to analyze since there are fewer destinations from there.

Thanks for that. You are obviously another Sherlock-of-schedules like myself; I'm always impressed with your efforts and findings. Keep up the good work!

FYI, so far I see SAN-MCO is getting just the same dbl-dly increase as PDX, during the same holiday periods, and with the 2nd e/b flt also being a red-eye. I also have noticed a return-from-suspension for SAN-SBA happening, as of now, on 3/16/23 so that does appear to be the AS network's big "Spring Back" date! I sure hope that holds true.)

Looks like I have a long evening of "schedule scrubbing" ahead of me! LOL!

bb

zonks

Mon May 30, 2022 5:35 am

flyoregon wrote:
The Saturday only routes are pointless IMO. Nice to have the route(s) but not everyone wants or needs a full week at a destination. Better than nothing I guess.

PDX-FLL as a Saturday only route is the only one that makes some sense if they can time it connect to the week long cruises leaving out the nearby port.

AC4500

Mon May 30, 2022 6:24 pm

PDX way behind everyone else in traffic recovery. The Port of Portland needs to do something to address this.

https://www.airlines.org/wp-content/upl ... tes-32.pdf

flyoregon

Mon May 30, 2022 6:53 pm

AC4500 wrote:
PDX way behind everyone else in traffic recovery. The Port of Portland needs to do something to address this.

https://www.airlines.org/wp-content/upl ... tes-32.pdf

They won’t. They’re an extension of the current political climate in Portland where they know there’s a problem but won’t address it. They’ll continue to pander Alaska and just wait it out instead of playing the game and aggressively seeking new routes from another carrier. That’s the only way Alaska will do anything major in Portland is if they feel threatened. That’s not the case though. Other airlines know that PoP is buddy buddy with AS, so why bother? If another airline did what DL did in Seattle, to a smaller degree, Alaska would finally notice and try a little harder. But it’s doubtful that’ll happen.

jplatts

Mon May 30, 2022 7:47 pm

flyoregon wrote:
They won’t. They’re an extension of the current political climate in Portland where they know there’s a problem but won’t address it. They’ll continue to pander Alaska and just wait it out instead of playing the game and aggressively seeking new routes from another carrier. That’s the only way Alaska will do anything major in Portland is if they feel threatened. That’s not the case though. Other airlines know that PoP is buddy buddy with AS, so why bother? If another airline did what DL did in Seattle, to a smaller degree, Alaska would finally notice and try a little harder. But it’s doubtful that’ll happen.

While AS doesn't currently serve ATL, DTW, or IAH nonstop from PDX, DL serves ATL/DTW nonstop from PDX and UA serves IAH nonstop from PDX.

ATL/DTW are destinations that DL would be serving nonstop from PDX regardless of any nonstop competition that is there due to ATL/DTW being major hubs for DL, and IAH is a destination that UA would be serving nonstop from PDX regardless of any nonstop competition that is there due to IAH being a major hub for UA.

DL is also offering connections to destinations in Michigan, Ohio, the Northeast, the Mid-Atlantic, the Southeast, Eastern Canada, and Europe through DTW from PDX. DL is also offering connections to destinations in Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, the Caribbean, and South America through ATL from PDX.

UA is offering connections to destinations in South Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Mexico, Central America, South America, and the Caribbean from PDX through its IAH hub.

AS is likely ceding some traffic to DL and UA in the PDX market by not serving ATL, DTW, or IAH nonstop from PDX, even though AS has 1-stop connecting service to ATL/DTW/IAH from PDX through SEA.

Why did AS drop PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service and why hasn't AS added PDX-IAH nonstop service?

Would AS seek to re-add PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service or to add PDX-IAH nonstop service once AS has more staff?

pdxplanes837362

Mon May 30, 2022 8:17 pm

AC4500 wrote:

Although it feels like an odd market pair, along with a being a pair of two non-hubs. It is my understanding that Delta has previously served PDX-ANC and that if Alaska shows unwillingness to put up capacity, we could see Delta return to this market. Let me know thoughts/if you are aware of anything unfolding around this possible route.

AC4500

Mon May 30, 2022 8:36 pm

jplatts wrote:
AS is likely ceding some traffic to DL and UA in the PDX market by not serving ATL, DTW, or IAH nonstop from PDX, even though AS has 1-stop connecting service to ATL/DTW/IAH from PDX through SEA.

Absolutely. Even if the nonstops are significantly more expensive, the convenience of not having to trek through SEA outweighs the cheaper fares, IMO. SeaTac is a mess right now.
jplatts wrote:
Why did AS drop PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service and why hasn't AS added PDX-IAH nonstop service?

Would AS seek to re-add PDX-ATL/DTW nonstop service or to add PDX-IAH nonstop service once AS has more staff?

PDX-DTW was very poorly timed, arriving in DTW at around 4:30 AM, IIRC. They didn't have the fleet to operate an optimal schedule. With more MAXs coming online soon, we might see DTW and ATL return in a few years.

PDX-ATL has been specifically mentioned by Alaska network planners. It seems like they believe that PDX can be built-up, but other priorities (not pandemic or staffing related) take priority.
Last edited by AC4500 on Mon May 30, 2022 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos