Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Runway765

Re: Nashville Aviation Thread - 2022

Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:12 pm

rexchase12 wrote:
All the planes [in the presentation] at the satellite concourses are Airbuses. Could they be telling us something here? I thiNK so, but the gates should be G4, F9, & possibly B6? :stirthepot:

I bet any money the combined F9/NK will have at least 4-5 of the satellite gates.

southwest1675

Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:45 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
Especially with the new Skyclub I wonder if BNA could be a candidate for one of DL's CDG routes on the 763, similar to what they've done for TPA, IND etc.

That was the plan pre COVID apparently.

dafunk10

Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:41 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Especially with the new Skyclub I wonder if BNA could be a candidate for one of DL's CDG routes on the 763, similar to what they've done for TPA, IND etc.

That was the reasoning behind the expansion pre-COVID. May take a while now as DL has been focused more on their hubs since then.

Shakinthefat

Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:12 pm

dafunk10 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

That was the reasoning behind the expansion pre-COVID. May take a while now as DL has been focused more on their hubs since then.

Another reason was the amount of Skymiles Medallions/Elite status members that fly in and out of BNA. The BNA station manager once told me Delta’s #2 and #4 top Elite members are located in Nashville area.

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:31 pm

Shakinthefat wrote:
dafunk10 wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

Another reason was the amount of Skymiles Medallions/Elite status members that fly in and out of BNA. The BNA station manager once told me Delta’s #2 and #4 top Elite members are located in Nashville area.

I think there was a point not that long ago where DL was the obvious choice for most of not all BNA HVCs. I’m not sure that’s the case anymore. I’m probably going to wind up with AA Gold this year not through any effort but just because of the number of times AA has been the only carrier that has worked schedule-wise.

Runway765

Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:16 pm

In the actual "Business Taking Off" presentation, they give an update on the "Beyond Vision". The Concourse A apron fill is now underway and the RFP for the 5 gate Concourse D extension will be issued in May. It seems they are gunning to get it done ASAP so construction on the new Concourse A can begin around 2025.

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2022-Business-Taking-Off.pdf

Interestingly, no mention has been made recently regarding the Runway 2L extension. My guess is they are (rightfully) prioritizing gate expansion this decade. While it most definitely needs to happen, the need is not as urgent right now as international traffic is down.

bnaorthoavgeek

Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:58 am

Hey all, I have a bit of a newbie question here: I noticed of Wikipedia that DL delayed their mainline service to BOS from early April to early September, meaning, as everyone here knows, that it BOS will continue to be served by their regional operator. My question, what is the reasoning behind that decision? It seems with travel on the uptick, it would've been smart to stick with the original April 10 upgauge…

Any input? Seems like there would be a wealth of knowledge on here

TangoCharlie123

Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:25 pm

The Consulate General of the Japanese consulate in Nashville was given a tour of the airport yesterday. I imagine a flight BNA-TYO was discussed.

https://twitter.com/fly_nashville/statu ... PxNW2jgWpQ

Runway765

Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:26 pm

TangoCharlie123 wrote:
The Consulate General of the Japanese consulate in Nashville was given a tour of the airport yesterday. I imagine a flight BNA-TYO was discussed.

They come every once in a while, it's nothing new. A Tokyo flight isn't happening until well into the 2030's at the soonest.

It seems the Runway 2L extension needed to make it happen has been delayed, as they are rightfully focusing on expanding Concourses A and D after the current work is done. More gates are needed in the short term, they can focus on the airfield after they get terminal built out.

Bluegrass60

Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 pm

bnaorthoavgeek wrote:
Hey all, I have a bit of a newbie question here: I noticed of Wikipedia that DL delayed their mainline service to BOS from early April to early September, meaning, as everyone here knows, that it BOS will continue to be served by their regional operator. My question, what is the reasoning behind that decision? It seems with travel on the uptick, it would've been smart to stick with the original April 10 upgauge…

"I suspect that DL is delaying mainline service because business travel has yet to return in sufficient numbers to warrant the switch to mainline and the equipment to be used can be used more profitably on another route at this time"

IADCA

Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:13 pm

bnaorthoavgeek wrote:

BNA isn't the only BOS destination slated to upgauge at the same time - RDU is slated to go all mainline, and IND and MCI are slated to upgauge as well. This may have to do with crew or fleet availability at BOS to make the BNA turn work, or redeployment of A220 capacity with fuel prices. Either way, it looks like it's more about the BOS end than BNA.

yoshoward12

Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:21 pm

bnaorthoavgeek wrote:

With fuel prices the way they are, an E175 does the trick for BNA-BOS, and can continue to do so for a while. A lot of routes similar (like BNA-LGA, BNA-DCA) kind of go back and forth between regional and mainline or even mix it up.

dfdubflyer

Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:09 am

Runway765 wrote:
In the actual "Business Taking Off" presentation, they give an update on the "Beyond Vision". The Concourse A apron fill is now underway and the RFP for the 5 gate Concourse D extension will be issued in May. It seems they are gunning to get it done ASAP so construction on the new Concourse A can begin around 2025.

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/2022-Business-Taking-Off.pdf

Interestingly, no mention has been made recently regarding the Runway 2L extension. My guess is they are (rightfully) prioritizing gate expansion this decade. While it most definitely needs to happen, the need is not as urgent right now as international traffic is down.

This link didn't work for me -- is that a personal issue or is this broken?

Jshank83

Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:38 am

dfdubflyer wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Not working for me now either. But it did previously when it was posted.

Runway765

Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:54 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
dfdubflyer wrote:
Runway765 wrote:

Not working for me now either. But it did previously when it was posted.

https://flynashville.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/2022-Business-Taking-Off-Final.pdf

Try this.

gsg013

Mon Apr 11, 2022 1:56 pm

Runway765 wrote:
TangoCharlie123 wrote:

They come every once in a while, it's nothing new. A Tokyo flight isn't happening until well into the 2030's at the soonest.

It seems the Runway 2L extension needed to make it happen has been delayed, as they are rightfully focusing on expanding Concourses A and D after the current work is done. More gates are needed in the short term, they can focus on the airfield after they get terminal built out.

Can anyone explain why runway 13-31 would not work for a tokyo flight? it's probably one flight a day and the runway is over 11,000 feet in length? A 787-9 at MTOW only needs 9,300 feet to take off, unsure why the extra ~2000 feet of runway is not enough to make this flight happen? BNA has 744's that come and go with Cargo almost every day. BA flys the 787-8 and 787-9 in and out, you see 777F here often and 767 charters for time to time.

There maybe something I am missing, but could anyone explain why 2L would need to be lengthened for a Japan flight to happen?

BNAPIC

Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:18 am

International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards dictate both length requirements AND alignment to prevailing winds. For Nashville this is North/South. Your logic does hold merit. AA's 767 tatl typically used 13/31 back in the day. The extra tall jet blast deflectors at the end of 13 on the west side were added around that time. 13 was the favored takeoff runway for AA's 767, also their sporadic DC-10 service, and today for larger cargo flights such as the 744's you mention. Complexity with tpac flights is driven more by fuel loads (and demand), but the runway extension would apparently be necessary.

BTW: Noticed BA is ugaging to the 787-9 in June, assuming they don't delay once again.

Shakinthefat

Wed Apr 13, 2022 12:47 am

No ILS for 13 for lowest mins could be factor for approach and landing.

southwest1675

Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:42 am

Saw the first Flair flight taxi out today. Sharp looking jet.

rexchase12

Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:38 am

gsg013

Thu Apr 14, 2022 2:36 pm

BNAPIC wrote:
International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Standards dictate both length requirements AND alignment to prevailing winds. For Nashville this is North/South. Your logic does hold merit. AA's 767 tatl typically used 13/31 back in the day. The extra tall jet blast deflectors at the end of 13 on the west side were added around that time. 13 was the favored takeoff runway for AA's 767, also their sporadic DC-10 service, and today for larger cargo flights such as the 744's you mention. Complexity with tpac flights is driven more by fuel loads (and demand), but the runway extension would apparently be necessary.

BTW: Noticed BA is ugaging to the 787-9 in June, assuming they don't delay once again.

Interesting i'm flying the 788 LHR-BNA on June 28th. would be nice if it was ungauged to the 787-9

Shakinthefat

Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 am

What does the average passengers get with a -9 over -8? 42 more seats, longer range aircraft…..what am I missing?
The difference in size makes for a greater distance between the nose wheel and the main landing gear. Pilots need to be extra careful when turning around on more narrow runways.

UALFAson

Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:45 am

Shakinthefat wrote:
What does the average passengers get with a -9 over -8? 42 more seats, longer range aircraft…..what am I missing?
The difference in size makes for a greater distance between the nose wheel and the main landing gear. Pilots need to be extra careful when turning around on more narrow runways.

If you're referring to BA's equipment upgauge, their -9s have a First Class section, which their -8s do not. The Club World and World Traveller Plus sections are also slightly larger. It's a ("significantly" might be too strong a word, but certainly "notably") more premium-heavy aircraft that demonstrates there is premium revenue available on the route.

UALFAson

Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:01 am

I drove past BNA today on I-40E and saw the new 3-column BNA signage as drivers enter the airport that replaced the concrete "Nashville International Airport" sign.

Random question, but is the stylized yellow "B" with the overlapping humps supposed to, well..."be" anything or represent anything? Or is it just some meaningless style flourish some designer came up with for effect?

Jshank83

Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:12 am

UALFAson wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:

If you're referring to BA's equipment upgauge, their -9s have a First Class section, which their -8s do not. The Club World and World Traveller Plus sections are also slightly larger. It's a ("significantly" might be too strong a word, but certainly "notably") more premium-heavy aircraft that demonstrates there is premium revenue available on the route.

Only 2 more seats total. But as noted it has more premium seats, less normal economy.

southwest1675

Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:41 pm

UALFAson wrote:
I drove past BNA today on I-40E and saw the new 3-column BNA signage as drivers enter the airport that replaced the concrete "Nashville International Airport" sign.

Random question, but is the stylized yellow "B" with the overlapping humps supposed to, well..."be" anything or represent anything? Or is it just some meaningless style flourish some designer came up with for effect?

I believe it’s some meaningless design.

Shakinthefat

Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:00 pm

UALFAson wrote:
Shakinthefat wrote:

I’ve only flown in Economy and Premium economy so I guess not much difference from my perspective.

Cubsrule

Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:47 pm

BNAPIC wrote:

I've spent a while with the 787 ACAPS this morning and become more convinced that the runway lengthening argument is not correct anymore. Perhaps it was true when TPAC operations were heavily 777s, but a hypothetical BNA TPAC flight is much more likely to be on a 787 of some ilk. On a STD+15 day (not very common in Nashville in the late morning/early afternoon when a TPAC flight would likely depart), a 789 could get off of 2R or 2C at about 500,000 pounds, which is plenty for Japan or Korea and probably even enough for PEK/PKX. And if the winds preclude a departure from 13 or 31, that would mean a pretty significant headwind component on the 2s or 20s, which helps performance even a bit more.

BNAPIC

Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:58 am

Cubsrule wrote:
I've spent a while with the 787 ACAPS this morning and become more convinced that the runway lengthening argument is not correct anymore. Perhaps it was true when TPAC operations were heavily 777s, but a hypothetical BNA TPAC flight is much more likely to be on a 787 of some ilk. On a STD+15 day (not very common in Nashville in the late morning/early afternoon when a TPAC flight would likely depart), a 789 could get off of 2R or 2C at about 500,000 pounds, which is plenty for Japan or Korea and probably even enough for PEK/PKX. And if the winds preclude a departure from 13 or 31, that would mean a pretty significant headwind component on the 2s or 20s, which helps performance even a bit more.

Agree, guidance changes with advances in design and performance. No doubt it could be made to work even now. Forgetting airport design practice and recommendations for a moment; the greater issue is demand. I wonder if a TPAC operator might consider an AUS - BNA circle; maybe in reverse order on alternate days, e.g. 4x wkly, 2x HND-AUS-BNA-HND // 2x HND-BNA-AUS-HND. It's a volume building trick employed by KLM and Brussels Air staging flights into Kigali and onward to Entebbe. Both companies fly the ~8 hour route daily at about the same time but do not alternate, instead flying a standard BRU/AMS - KGL-EBB and back. That pair are closer than AUS to BNA, and yes, we are not Africa, but the premise seems reasonable enough. Truth be told, I'm not sure we'll be seeing a tpac route any time soon -- heck, our one tatl needs to prove itself yet again. As mentioned here before, the ORD, DFW, ATL, SFO, SEA and LAX connections are solid. BNA is but one-stop from most far-east destinations.

southwest1675

Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:09 am

Does anyone know if BNA plans to keep the current North and South security lines once the new lobby opens?

AVLAirlineFreq

Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:48 pm

One person was injured in a shooting in the baggage claim area of BNA early this morning. A spokesperson for the airport said an individual entered the baggage claim area at 7:07 a.m. with a firearm threatening harm to themselves. The individual discharged the firearm, injuring themselves. There were no other major injuries.

https://www.wsmv.com/2022/04/17/one-inj ... l-airport/

kingcavalier

Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:10 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
Does anyone know if BNA plans to keep the current North and South security lines once the new lobby opens?

No. The 2 temporary checkpoints go away and will be converted to more ticket counters and restrooms. The new checkpoint goes back to the center of the building and will have up to 24 all CT X-rays.

Shakinthefat

Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:10 am

UALFAson wrote:

BNA’s nickname is “Bananaville” so yellow humps or it was a million dollar design from a marketing consult firm.

Runway765

Mon May 16, 2022 3:16 am

Anything new going on at BNA?

This thread has been oddly silent for a month or so.

dfdubflyer

Mon May 16, 2022 7:41 am

Runway765 wrote:

BA restarted its service last week! I was sitting in LHR flying for work and was happy to see my hometown on the T5 departures board again :)

southwest1675

Mon May 16, 2022 3:38 pm

Runway765 wrote:

Looks like they’re about to break ground on the satellite.

SimpleMan

Mon May 16, 2022 11:07 pm

Saw this a couple days ago on Channel 2 -
What we would like to do is lengthen what we call ‘runway 2 left’ and make it move over Murfreesboro Road. So, we’d have to lower Murfreesboro Road about 60-70 feet and put a tunnel in it so the runway would go over,” said Kreulen (President and CEO of the Metropolitan Nashville Airport Authority).
A longer flight requires longer runways due to the weight of the fuel, passengers and cargo involved.
In the winter, BNA is in good shape to house a flight to Asia, in the summer, not so much; with hot temperatures and humidity, planes take longer to get off of the ground.
“Over the next five years, we hope to work with FAA, the governor and the State of Tennessee, to get permission to lengthen that runway across Murfreesboro Road. So, a five-year goal would be awesome to see something like that happening for us,” Kreulen said.
https://www.wkrn.com/special-reports/na ... t-to-asia/

bnaorthoavgeek

Tue May 17, 2022 3:09 pm

Are there plans to reopen BNA Express?

southwest1675

Thu May 19, 2022 2:44 pm

Looking forward to when WN is able to restore their network. Staff and fleet utilization are the biggest problems for them right now.

Shakinthefat

Fri May 20, 2022 2:14 am

southwest1675 wrote:
Looking forward to when WN is able to restore their network. Staff and fleet utilization are the biggest problems for them right now.

How do they fix it, especially for the summer?
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/e81d9b50-3a ... tomer.html

Jshank83

Fri May 20, 2022 2:57 am

Shakinthefat wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

How do they fix it, especially for the summer?
https://finance.yahoo.com/m/e81d9b50-3a ... tomer.html

They probably aren’t going to for summer. Which is what they made big cuts for summer

CIDFlyer

Fri May 20, 2022 5:42 pm

When does the new lobby/atrium open up?

Runway765

Fri May 20, 2022 6:11 pm

CIDFlyer wrote:
When does the new lobby/atrium open up?

Fall 2023

southwest1675

Sun May 22, 2022 1:59 pm

I know Contour and Cape connect a handful of passengers to AA in BNA. Are these PAX having to re enter security on the South side? Or is there some type of shuttle provided?

CLJFlyer

Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:06 am

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just moved back to the Nashville area and I am going to be a free agent soon (Currently am an MVP w/AS. I travel for leisure and I am debating on which of the US3 I should give my loyalty to. My most frequent city that I fly to yearly is Seattle, but don't want to give status to AS, as that doesn't help me much in upgrades and such flying across the US and the world. So for leisure travel from BNA which airlines are most of you guys giving your business to in order to attain status?

Jshank83

Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:57 am

CLJFlyer wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I just moved back to the Nashville area and I am going to be a free agent soon (Currently am an MVP w/AS. I travel for leisure and I am debating on which of the US3 I should give my loyalty to. My most frequent city that I fly to yearly is Seattle, but don't want to give status to AS, as that doesn't help me much in upgrades and such flying across the US and the world. So for leisure travel from BNA which airlines are most of you guys giving your business to in order to attain status?

If you don’t want to do Southwest then it probably needs to be AA. They also codeshare on the AS flight.

UALFAson

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:26 am

CLJFlyer wrote:

The nice thing about a market like BNA is that you have a choice of carriers to whom to give your business. I think you need to think about where you are most likely to travel and choose a carrier accordingly. For example, DL also flies to SEA nonstop from BNA along with LAX; BOS and NYC in the northeast; and ATL is only 37 minutes away and a gateway to the world. AA has more extensive East Coast coverage via NYC, PHL, and DCA (and BOS via JetBlue); connections through CLT; and nonstops to MIA, DFW, and LAX. United is the least attractive of the Big 4 in terms of route networks here, unless you're going to their hubs or need/want their global network. Obviously Southwest has the most extensive network with the most nonstops to the most cities, but I don't have to tell you about the tradeoffs of no F, no Y+, and limited int'l outside of the Caribbean.

CLJFlyer

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:41 am

Jshank83 wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

If you don’t want to do Southwest then it probably needs to be AA. They also codeshare on the AS flight.

I do take Southwest from time to time on short hops, but I do like F and extra legroom. For as much as AA makes sense, their new FF program is horrible. Unless you own a business and expense everything on their CC, it is very difficult to attain a status that is worth anything.

CLJFlyer

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:46 am

UALFAson wrote:
CLJFlyer wrote:

The nice thing about a market like BNA is that you have a choice of carriers to whom to give your business. I think you need to think about where you are most likely to travel and choose a carrier accordingly. For example, DL also flies to SEA nonstop from BNA along with LAX; BOS and NYC in the northeast; and ATL is only 37 minutes away and a gateway to the world. AA has more extensive East Coast coverage via NYC, PHL, and DCA (and BOS via JetBlue); connections through CLT; and nonstops to MIA, DFW, and LAX. United is the least attractive of the Big 4 in terms of route networks here, unless you're going to their hubs or need/want their global network. Obviously Southwest has the most extensive network with the most nonstops to the most cities, but I don't have to tell you about the tradeoffs of no F, no Y+, and limited int'l outside of the Caribbean.

I agree, AA has the most extensive network out of BNA, but their new FF program is making me rethink giving my loyalty to them. I've been flying UA more than usual this year, and honestly they're growing on me. I am also ok with connecting through hubs to get where I need. I guess it's down to UA and DL.

Thanks for the input.

runner13

Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:53 pm

Noticed today that Air Canada has upgraded YYZ to two daily A320s. Also British Airways is back daily with the B789. Always nice to see bigger aircraft.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos