Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

uconn99

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2022

Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:37 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Jetport wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

95% of LGA's traffic is O&D. Any connections are utterly incidental. DL would be happy to route BDL passengers through DTW or ATL to keep NYC yields high.

95% O&D at LGA, or any hub/focus city sounds absurd, do you have a source? I guess I have been part of the 5%, along with most other passengers on my flights a ridiculous number of times over the past 25 years.

Sure. (It's actually 94.3 -- my bad.) MCO Airport routinely puts out domestic O&D and connecting stats for the 30 largest U.S. airports.

See U.S. Airport O&D Ranking at bottom right. https://orlandoairports.net/about-us/#t ... statistics

LGA is all about O&D -- just as I declared. The data are for the 12 months ending 12/2021 but don't look a lot different from 2019.

LGA puts connecting traffic at 12% for 2021 and 14% for 2019.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/en/stat ... -info.html

PVD523

Re: The Rest of New England (BDL/PVD/MHT/PWM/ORH/BTV/HVN/BGR) Aviation Thread - 2022

Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:52 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Looks like F9 is dropping BTV.

Among a handful of cities they are suspending, including ALB, HSV and SDF.

They’re dropping PVD-TPA and PVD-RSW too, leaving PVD with just MCO and FLL for the winter as of now, which is a big head scratcher for me.

B595

Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:11 pm

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Looks like F9 is dropping BTV.
Among a handful of cities they are suspending, including ALB, HSV and SDF.

Can you point to any announcement of this? I haven’t been able to find anything. I assume it’s true, because there’s a local news station story about the suspension of ALB service in the “Upstate New York”thread. I just can’t find any statement about BTV.

slcdeltarumd11

Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:57 am

Yeah stopping ticket sales is a pretty bad sign. October 3rd looks like the last day.

IIRC didn't frontier have some incentives end in 2022? I thought some were three years and started in 2019 so maybe reduced fees ended? Worth it to keep flying this summer as fares were so high. Could be a negotiating tactic to get reduced fees again. I think they were getting a deal and maybe now on just full normal pricing. Not really uncommon for them to leave cities after incentives or reduced fees end. Frontier has a history of doing that. Plus they have a pilot and crew shortage issues.

They could totally be willing to leave(given their staffing shortages) and seeing if this gets them a deal again. If not they might just want to cancel a spoke until they have more staff. Come back when the airport gives them a deal in a year or two

I think frontiers staffing companies have had serious issues with ground staff, so that could be part of it. I know one day they had to cancel a flight because of no staff. Burlington is pretty expensive , the labor shortage is worse than most of the country.

If you want ULCC non-stop service to Florida. Plattsburgh will still be there with multiple cities. For everyone else who wants to use BTV they can connect

Cboyle

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:10 pm

some cuts for winter:
-noticing that NK’s MHT-FLL/RSW/MYR routes are gone for winter. The first two are really surprising. Not so much the other one. MHT-MCO remains an A321. MHT-TPA is back on an A320.
-AA MHT-CLT has been downgraded back to regional CRJ-900’s and are twice a day.
-AA MHT-ORD is suspended for the winter again

FLYKTPA

Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:47 pm

Cboyle wrote:
some cuts for winter:
-noticing that NK’s MHT-FLL/RSW/MYR routes are gone for winter. The first two are really surprising. Not so much the other one. MHT-MCO remains an A321. MHT-TPA is back on an A320.
-AA MHT-CLT has been downgraded back to regional CRJ-900’s and are[photoid][/photoid] twice a day.

RSW gone? The nonstop is bookable in December and January

Cboyle

Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:38 pm

FLYKTPA wrote:
Cboyle wrote:
some cuts for winter:
-AA MHT-CLT has been downgraded back to regional CRJ-900’s and are[photoid][/photoid] twice a day.

RSW gone? The nonstop is bookable in December and January

November at least…

737Jason

Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:26 pm

Cboyle wrote:
some cuts for winter:
-AA MHT-CLT has been downgraded back to regional CRJ-900’s and are twice a day.

It’s just for November as far as I can see, they come back full strength in December. November is slow season, don’t forget until about thanksgiving.

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:46 pm

Just noticing BTV-DFW was upped to nearly daily this past week or so.

Dominion301

Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:53 pm

uconn99 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
Jetport wrote:

95% O&D at LGA, or any hub/focus city sounds absurd, do you have a source? I guess I have been part of the 5%, along with most other passengers on my flights a ridiculous number of times over the past 25 years.

Sure. (It's actually 94.3 -- my bad.) MCO Airport routinely puts out domestic O&D and connecting stats for the 30 largest U.S. airports.

See U.S. Airport O&D Ranking at bottom right. https://orlandoairports.net/about-us/#t ... statistics

LGA is all about O&D -- just as I declared. The data are for the 12 months ending 12/2021 but don't look a lot different from 2019.

LGA puts connecting traffic at 12% for 2021 and 14% for 2019.

https://www.panynj.gov/airports/en/stat ... -info.html

12-14% sounds like a reasonable stat. DL and codeshare partner WS are probably 30% connecting, AA probably 20% and everyone else combined are probably below 3%, with probably B6 making up the bulk of that. Someone like F9 would be 0%.

LotsaRunway

Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:16 pm

I was looking at some of the cargo feeder flying on FlightAware earlier and it got me wondering about some of the details. On the surface, it seems pretty simple. Large aircraft get further filled with feeder flights that come in from all over the region where larger aircraft cannot be supported, but how to they decide what route gets flown on what days? Is it variable, or on a fixed schedule? Do they run the same aircraft every day for the same route? How do they handle excess load? A second aircraft? A larger aircraft? Ship via ground? I've seen feeder flights from ALB, BDL, BOS, PWM, and PVD to MHT, but don't they already have large capacity aircraft that fly to MEM and SDF? UPS and FedEx are known for their ability to flex operations and I suspect that their feeders can as well(?)

I know that UPS runs a MHT feeder operation. Does FedEx still run one there as well, and if not, do they run one in the region?

PVD523

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:04 pm

LotsaRunway wrote:
I was looking at some of the cargo feeder flying on FlightAware earlier and it got me wondering about some of the details. On the surface, it seems pretty simple. Large aircraft get further filled with feeder flights that come in from all over the region where larger aircraft cannot be supported, but how to they decide what route gets flown on what days? Is it variable, or on a fixed schedule? Do they run the same aircraft every day for the same route? How do they handle excess load? A second aircraft? A larger aircraft? Ship via ground? I've seen feeder flights from ALB, BDL, BOS, PWM, and PVD to MHT, but don't they already have large capacity aircraft that fly to MEM and SDF? UPS and FedEx are known for their ability to flex operations and I suspect that their feeders can as well(?)

I know that UPS runs a MHT feeder operation. Does FedEx still run one there as well, and if not, do they run one in the region?

Wiggins Airways in based in Manchester and serves the cargo needs of smaller airports and communities across New England and other points in the Northeast. I can only speak with some knowledge as to their operation at PVD but their base in MHT is why you see flights arriving there from the airports you mentioned. Their fleet will transition there per their maintenance schedule.

At PVD, Wiggins bases two C208s to act as a FedEx feeder operation to ACK, EWR, and MVY. During the summer a third aircraft typically joins the rotation. A FX 757 arrives each morning from MEM and cargo going to the islands is loaded onto the Wiggins C208s. Vice versa at night with the departure back to MEM (or FWA, etc). During the summer and peak holiday traffic, Wiggins runs flights to the islands essentially all day. During slower times of the year the flights depart PVD for the islands in the morning and return in the evening. There is also a weekday Wiggins turn that operates PVD-EWR-PVD at 03:00 LCL that departs empty to EWR and returns to PVD with priority cargo. The same tail numbers will remain at PVD and conduct these flights until they transition back to MHT for maintenance, at which time they’ll backfill the PVD base with another aircraft.

ctavgeek33

Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:15 pm

PVD523 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

Wiggins Airways in based in Manchester and serves the cargo needs of smaller airports and communities across New England and other points in the Northeast. I can only speak with some knowledge as to their operation at PVD but their base in MHT is why you see flights arriving there from the airports you mentioned. Their fleet will transition there per their maintenance schedule.

At PVD, Wiggins bases two C208s to act as a FedEx feeder operation to ACK, EWR, and MVY. During the summer a third aircraft typically joins the rotation. A FX 757 arrives each morning from MEM and cargo going to the islands is loaded onto the Wiggins C208s. Vice versa at night with the departure back to MEM (or FWA, etc). During the summer and peak holiday traffic, Wiggins runs flights to the islands essentially all day. During slower times of the year the flights depart PVD for the islands in the morning and return in the evening. There is also a weekday Wiggins turn that operates PVD-EWR-PVD at 03:00 LCL that departs empty to EWR and returns to PVD with priority cargo. The same tail numbers will remain at PVD and conduct these flights until they transition back to MHT for maintenance, at which time they’ll backfill the PVD base with another aircraft.

I've seen parades of up to four C208s on FR24. I assume they just add planes on busy cargo days.

PVD523

Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Nice line of thunderstorms from BOS to PVD to BDL. Couple BOS diversions to PVD so far this afternoon:

B6 896 ATL-BOS A321
B6 1214 DFW-BOS A320
AA 1423 LAX-BOS A321

MO11

Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:54 am

LotsaRunway wrote:

Portland to Bangor and Presque Isle. Everything else is truck.

LotsaRunway

Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:05 am

PVD523 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

Interesting! Thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware that Wiggins ran a feeder out of PVD to the islands, but it makes sense. I’m thinking the EWR circuit is done to handle more localized PVD-NYC priority cargo. With the feeder hub at MHT, is there a direct connection between MHT and EWR?

LotsaRunway

Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:09 am

MO11 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

So FedEx has a mini-feeder in ME through PWM? I’ve seen Wiggins feeders for UPS between Bangor/Presque Isle and MHT.

I wonder if BDL has any feeder service?

MO11

Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:07 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
MO11 wrote:

So FedEx has a mini-feeder in ME through PWM? I’ve seen Wiggins feeders for UPS between Bangor/Presque Isle and MHT.

No. I think there was a Bridgeport-BDL trip for FedEx at one time.

In the mid '80s (when SDF was the only UPS hub and its jets were flown by contractors), UPS started feeders out of BDL using Corporate Air (Aztec/Navajo). It had flights to Poughkeepsie, Stewart, and Sullivan County. It also had a Viking Convair that went to Albany (same flight number as today's ALB-BDL-PHL).

ctavgeek33

Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:20 pm

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loc ... t/2860694/

Oops.

Four diversions so far, and the entire afternoon schedule has been hosed. Airport was supposed to reopen at five, but has yet to do so as of 7:20.

rampwidget

Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:36 pm

quote="ctavgeek33"]https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local/fuel-truck-rollover-closes-tweed-new-haven-airport/2860694/

Oops.

Four diversions so far, and the entire afternoon schedule has been hosed. Airport was supposed to reopen at five, but has yet to do so as of 7:20.[/quote]

HVN now not scheduled to reopen until 2001 hours local time, per FlightAware.

globetrotter29

Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:10 pm

Spirit launching BDL-MBJ Decembe 15th. 4x weekly, year-round.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loc ... a/2863774/

uconn99

Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:24 pm

globetrotter29 wrote:
Spirit launching BDL-MBJ Decembe 15th. 4x weekly, year-round.

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/loc ... a/2863774/

About time someone jumped on this route, looks to operate TUE, THU, SAT, SUN on an A320.

RL757PVD

Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:07 pm

BDL-MBJ will be a good viable post B6/NK merger route as well

ctavgeek33

Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:42 pm

RL757PVD wrote:

We'll see. This route is made possible courtesy of a large subsidy from the CT government. I was hoping it'd be B6, but I guess waiting a few years for that is alright. That said, I expect it to be successful.

uconn99

Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:26 pm

ctavgeek33 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

We'll see. This route is made possible courtesy of a large subsidy from the CT government. I was hoping it'd be B6, but I guess waiting a few years for that is alright. That said, I expect it to be successful.

Where do you see the flight has a subsidy? Not saying it doesn't but I don't see mention of it anywhere. And wouldn't the subsidy be paid by the CAA which is self funded?

HVNandrew

Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:34 am

MO11 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:
MO11 wrote:

It is unsourced, but according to the Wikipedia page on BDR that service still operates.

ctavgeek33

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:18 am

uconn99 wrote:
ctavgeek33 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Where do you see the flight has a subsidy? Not saying it doesn't but I don't see mention of it anywhere. And wouldn't the subsidy be paid by the CAA which is self funded?

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Are ... 255ffe56fc

RL757PVD

Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:37 pm

uconn99 wrote:
ctavgeek33 wrote:
RL757PVD wrote:

Airports are not allowed to use airport funds to subsidize service. They can waive fees and provide marketing $$$, but direct subsidies are not permissible per FAA. In addition, the incentive must be available to anyone. My guess is that BDL had an attractive incentive package with airport fee waivers and marketing, coupled with additional incentives from the state (for things that airport revenues aren't allowed to cover) and they shopped it around with NK taking the bait. B6 was probably previously an interested party but their operational woes and growing costs probably nixed that option.

uconn99

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:10 pm

ctavgeek33 wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
ctavgeek33 wrote:

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/Are ... 255ffe56fc

:thumbsup:

uconn99

Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:10 pm

RL757PVD wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
ctavgeek33 wrote:

Airports are not allowed to use airport funds to subsidize service. They can waive fees and provide marketing $$$, but direct subsidies are not permissible per FAA. In addition, the incentive must be available to anyone. My guess is that BDL had an attractive incentive package with airport fee waivers and marketing, coupled with additional incentives from the state (for things that airport revenues aren't allowed to cover) and they shopped it around with NK taking the bait. B6 was probably previously an interested party but their operational woes and growing costs probably nixed that option.

Thanks for that info.

EricBTV

Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:49 am

Recently flew out of BTV and thought I'd share a quick update.

For the most part, business as usual in the early morning rush. For the second straight trip, the south checkpoint was the only one open. While I'm assuming there's a staffing component to this, it also gets people used to that location for when the new checkpoint opens. On that note, there are multiple signs saying it's coming 'Fall 2022' and there also some work going on in the area of the current checkpoint. Services are still pretty much operating in one concourse at a time. The newsstand appears to bounce back and forth depending on demand while The Skinny Pancake is only running the north location. However, they are still my favorite airport food (Ok, I loved them before they opened at BTV) and it's well worth the walk over to the north side.

mjgbtv

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:46 pm

I was looking at BTV activity for today and was surprised to see a B6 A320 scheduled for an early evening arrival. This seems to be a regular flight (at least for October which has always been a big month for them at BTV) It also looks like the scheduled aircraft is the A320, at least for the next few days. I can't remember the last time that the A320 was the regular B6 equipment at BTV. One other odd thing is that this flight has a new number - 650 which I don't think has ever been used at BTV and does not fit with the traditional numbering of .34 or ..34 No idea why they would not just use one of the same numbers that they have in the past...

MO11

Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:01 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
MO11 wrote:
bdlflyer wrote:

This service started August 1. I wonder why the quick start?

LGA slot squatting would be my educated guess. About as minimal fuel burn as you can get.

BDL-LGA going to 5 flights on November 9.

SCHATC422

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:08 pm

MO11 wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
MO11 wrote:

LGA slot squatting would be my educated guess. About as minimal fuel burn as you can get.

Daily or weekly? Quite a difference with both...

SCHATC422

Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:14 pm

HVNandrew wrote:
MO11 wrote:
LotsaRunway wrote:

It is unsourced, but according to the Wikipedia page on BDR that service still operates.

The BDR flight from BDL hasn't operated since May or so. Think it's gone for good.

chrisnh

Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:12 pm

This is the month the new cargo building at MHT will open, and one of the expected tenants will be Prime. Just in time for the holiday crush.

MO11

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:05 am

SCHATC422 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:

5x weekdays, no Saturday, 3x Sunday.

bdl

Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:29 am

MO11 wrote:
SCHATC422 wrote:
MO11 wrote:

5x weekdays, no Saturday, 3x Sunday.

Flew BDL-LGA on an early evening weekday flight in September and it was 90% full. Many connecting passengers (anecdotally speaking).

PVD523

Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:18 am

MO11 wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
MO11 wrote:

PVD-LGA goes 5x daily as well. DL is really pushing LGA as a northeast connecting option.

lat41

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:16 pm

PVD523 wrote:
MO11 wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:

PVD-LGA goes 5x daily as well. DL is really pushing LGA as a northeast connecting option.
To brush the servce aside as simply slot squatting may be selling it short. Have a look at their route map. There are fair amount of DL cities East of DTW and North and East of ATL that can be reached via LGA from PVD in addition to the point to point NYC area traffic.

PVD523

Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:34 pm

lat41 wrote:
PVD523 wrote:
MO11 wrote:

To brush the servce aside as simply slot squatting may be selling it short. Have a look at their route map. There are fair amount of DL cities East of DTW and North and East of ATL that can be reached via LGA from PVD in addition to the point to point NYC area traffic.

I didn’t say they were slot squatting. I was making the same argument as you.

cloudboy

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:24 pm

They are trying to dominate New England. PVD, BDL, BOS, ORH, PWM, and BVT all have service to LGA now. Want to get out of or into New England? Fly Delta through LGA which has connections all up and down the east coast.

B595

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:08 pm

mjgbtv wrote:
I was looking at BTV activity for today and was surprised to see a B6 A320 scheduled for an early evening arrival. This seems to be a regular flight (at least for October which has always been a big month for them at BTV) It also looks like the scheduled aircraft is the A320, at least for the next few days. I can't remember the last time that the A320 was the regular B6 equipment at BTV. One other odd thing is that this flight has a new number - 650 which I don't think has ever been used at BTV and does not fit with the traditional numbering of .34 or ..34 No idea why they would not just use one of the same numbers that they have in the past...

Up-gauge for the leaf-peeping crowds? Although if that’s the case then it’s odd it would extend through the end of the month, since leaf season usually ends mid-month. Maybe instead it reflects the slow trickle retirement of E190s that has been mentioned in the dedicated jetBlue threads. Don’t know, just WAG’ing.

As you say, the schedule’s been stuck in stone for quite a while. Easy to forget there was a brief time when jetBlue had 4 A320s RON on the apron.

bomber996

Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:55 pm

cloudboy wrote:
They are trying to dominate New England. PVD, BDL, BOS, ORH, PWM, and BVT all have service to LGA now. Want to get out of or into New England? Fly Delta through LGA which has connections all up and down the east coast.

But still no return to MHT :weeping: :weeping:

Peace :box:

B6BOSfan

Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:42 pm

PVD523 wrote:
lat41 wrote:
PVD523 wrote:

I was, but casually looking at load factors from BDL-LGA and PVD-LGA over next two days, I fully admit, they're some healthy loads.

I still feel like some of this IS slot squatting, but with the cuts Delta made to some other regional routes, Endeavor Air may have the pilots and crews to run these flights more often. And if you can add service, use a slot AND get healthy loads, well, that's the trifecta.

mjgbtv

Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:50 am

B595 wrote:
mjgbtv wrote:

Up-gauge for the leaf-peeping crowds? Although if that’s the case then it’s odd it would extend through the end of the month, since leaf season usually ends mid-month. Maybe instead it reflects the slow trickle retirement of E190s that has been mentioned in the dedicated jetBlue threads. Don’t know, just WAG’ing.

As you say, the schedule’s been stuck in stone for quite a while. Easy to forget there was a brief time when jetBlue had 4 A320s RON on the apron.

Historically October has been one of the best months for B6 at BTV, so there must be more to it than just the first couple of weeks. There is probably enough good leaf-peeping at the lower elevations to attract some people through the end of the month. However, it does look like the equipment switches to an E190 after a couple more days.

BTVB6Flyer

Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 am

Last F9 flight out of BTV. Will see if they return down the road once the lack of pilots gets back to normal.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/FFT ... /KBTV/KDEN

PVD523

Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:37 am

B6BOSfan wrote:
PVD523 wrote:
lat41 wrote:

I was, but casually looking at load factors from BDL-LGA and PVD-LGA over next two days, I fully admit, they're some healthy loads.

I still feel like some of this IS slot squatting, but with the cuts Delta made to some other regional routes, Endeavor Air may have the pilots and crews to run these flights more often. And if you can add service, use a slot AND get healthy loads, well, that's the trifecta.

I think a partial measure of the success of this expanded PVD-LGA lift is to see what happens with DL’s service levels to DTW and ATL. There’s bound to be some impact but my hope is that this infusion of connecting capacity drives new customers instead of siphoning them away from their other current routes. ATL will be safe, my concern is DTW. Regardless, it’s nice to see the investment at PVD on DL’s behalf. And from an operational standpoint, I think this move makes sense. DL has already priced connections out of PVD thru LGA to destinations like PIT, RDU, ORD, CVG, IND, even DFW, at cheaper fares than DTW and ATL. As you stated, if Endeavor has the crews (and I think Republic is sprinkled in there too), adding this service, using a slot and getting healthy loads is a great result.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos