airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

Source?

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/en/u ... america-1/

Mon/Wed/Fri - 3x weekly 767-300

BOS-FRA 20:30-09:30
FRA-BOS 15:20-17:45

LH has cut so much Germany capacity over recent years, a new airline was bound to happen.
I was half hoping half expecting DL or B6 would be the ones adding Germany TATL from BOS.

We’re at least 2 years away from seeing anything in B6 paint flying between Boston and Germany; need the XLR to start cycling through the system. As conservative as JetBlue has been rolling out London, the LR is operationally only going to get you as far as AMS.

adamh8297

Re: Boston Aviation Thread - 2022

Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:03 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

https://condor-newsroom.condor.com/en/u ... america-1/

Mon/Wed/Fri - 3x weekly 767-300

BOS-FRA 20:30-09:30
FRA-BOS 15:20-17:45

LH has cut so much Germany capacity over recent years, a new airline was bound to happen.
I was half hoping half expecting DL or B6 would be the ones adding Germany TATL from BOS.

We’re at least 2 years away from seeing anything in B6 paint flying between Boston and Germany; need the XLR to start cycling through the system. As conservative as JetBlue has been rolling out London, the LR is operationally only going to get you as far as AMS.

SK is doing BOS/IAD-CPH with a denser configuration in their A321LR.

airbazar

Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:00 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:
airbazar wrote:

That depends where in Germany B6 would fly to. BOS-MUC for example, they can probably use the LR in the Summer only but not in the Winter.
But BOS-FRA or BOS-DUS should be doable with the LR year round.
I do agree that it's still at least 2 years away, regardless.
And something is fishy about that CPH-IAD route. I did not think the A321LR could stay in the air for over 10 hours with a meaningful payload. :?

tlecam

Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:55 pm

airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

That depends where in Germany B6 would fly to. BOS-MUC for example, they can probably use the LR in the Summer only but not in the Winter.
And something is fishy about that CPH-IAD route. I did not think the A321LR could stay in the air for over 10 hours with a meaningful payload. :?

I don't think I want to be in a narrow body for that long either. :-)

The Condor flights are interesting. I don't know anyone who wants to visit Frankfurt for leisure, although it is easy access to lots of popular tourist areas by train.

adamh8297

Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:04 am

tlecam wrote:
airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

The Condor flights are interesting. I don't know anyone who wants to visit Frankfurt for leisure, although it is easy access to lots of popular tourist areas by train.

I think you should be able to connect onto Condor's short haul and even LH and other European carriers. I know the PVD flights offered connections in FRA when that flight ran. B6 also provides feed in BOS. You can also earn AS miles on Condor.

https://www.condor.com/us/fly-enjoy/con ... jsp#c94063

About CPH-IAD - I believe it has not flown yet too so I am also suspicious but BOS-CPH is similar in distance to BOS-FRA/DUS/CGN.

BlueBaller

Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:50 am

airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
BlueBaller wrote:

I think it really has to do with resources than range. JetBlue has been pretty consistent in wanting to have a lock on London before expanding anywhere else in the EU. The 3 LRs currently on property are cycling now between JFK-LON. Assuming they can get another LHR slot, and we’ll know in another month or so, they’ll want the next 2 of the 3 LRs for this year doing BOS-LON. If they happen to get LHR and LGW, they might want to try what they’ve been doing out of JFK. Which would mean 6/13 LRs running double BOS/JFK-LON. That only leaves the remaining 7 and they’ve been talking a lot more about Hawaii than anything lately. Granted it was Scott Laurence doing most of that talking and he’s since left for Delta, but if they were serious about HI, they would need 3-4 to handle HNL/OGG.

In this scenario that only leaves 3-4 LRs left to handle the rest of Europe and I think they would hit CDG and AMS to start with.

Now ETOPS does cover the entire 321-271NX sub fleet so Hawaii could be done with the standard NEO but there’s a lot of questions on JetBlue’s ever-evolving order book, so who knows what’s coming when and in what iteration. Take away those 3-4 for HI and you’re back to 6-7 to grow out the EU in a different scenario.

But that’s talking crazy growth, by any airline’s standard, but especially JetBlue. Bottom line I think at least half the LRs on property will be doing London flying and the remaining half dozen or so will target Western Europe; Paris, Amsterdam, Madrid and maybe a secondary British city from both JFK and/or BOS and you’re maxed out with the LR.

If they can somehow continue to manage more and more slots into London, they’ll keep shuffling more LRs there and build out the EU with the XLR. With 13 of them arriving, you’re better off sending them deeper into Europe like Italy and Germany, where you have not only the added range but resources, since those planes have to fly somewhere.

Regardless, it’s a lot to debate in the coming years.

tlecam

Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:21 pm

adamh8297 wrote:
tlecam wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I think you should be able to connect onto Condor's short haul and even LH and other European carriers. I know the PVD flights offered connections in FRA when that flight ran. B6 also provides feed in BOS. You can also earn AS miles on Condor.

About CPH-IAD - I believe it has not flown yet too so I am also suspicious but BOS-CPH is similar in distance to BOS-FRA/DUS/CGN.

I didn't realize that they had as many flights to the vacation spots in the Mediterranean as they do. Service the the Adriatic and the Aegean seas in particular look impressive. That will definitely get some interest. Thanks!

tlecam

Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:27 pm

BlueBaller wrote:
airbazar wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:

I think it really has to do with resources than range. JetBlue has been pretty consistent in wanting to have a lock on London before expanding anywhere else in the EU. The 3 LRs currently on property are cycling now between JFK-LON. Assuming they can get another LHR slot, and we’ll know in another month or so, they’ll want the next 2 of the 3 LRs for this year doing BOS-LON. If they happen to get LHR and LGW, they might want to try what they’ve been doing out of JFK. Which would mean 6/13 LRs running double BOS/JFK-LON. That only leaves the remaining 7 and they’ve been talking a lot more about Hawaii than anything lately. Granted it was Scott Laurence doing most of that talking and he’s since left for Delta, but if they were serious about HI, they would need 3-4 to handle HNL/OGG.

In this scenario that only leaves 3-4 LRs left to handle the rest of Europe and I think they would hit CDG and AMS to start with.

Now ETOPS does cover the entire 321-271NX sub fleet so Hawaii could be done with the standard NEO but there’s a lot of questions on JetBlue’s ever-evolving order book, so who knows what’s coming when and in what iteration. Take away those 3-4 for HI and you’re back to 6-7 to grow out the EU in a different scenario.

But that’s talking crazy growth, by any airline’s standard, but especially JetBlue. Bottom line I think at least half the LRs on property will be doing London flying and the remaining half dozen or so will target Western Europe; Paris, Amsterdam, Madrid and maybe a secondary British city from both JFK and/or BOS and you’re maxed out with the LR.

If they can somehow continue to manage more and more slots into London, they’ll keep shuffling more LRs there and build out the EU with the XLR. With 13 of them arriving, you’re better off sending them deeper into Europe like Italy and Germany, where you have not only the added range but resources, since those planes have to fly somewhere.

Regardless, it’s a lot to debate in the coming years.

B6 has a good product and I welcome their introduction as it will add some price control for some of those routes that have little substantiative competition (MAD, AMS in particular.) CDG will now have AA flying again so at least OW and ST are competing.

I also think it's wise to get London straighten out and then scale that to other destinations. The costs for adding new spokes in Europe are not insignificant.

I wonder about IRROPS and what they will put in place for that. I don't have any specific thoughts, just something I'm curious about, particularly when things get fouled up in the northeast and it's not unusual for BOS and JFK to be impacted by the same storms.

airbazar

Tue Feb 15, 2022 2:55 pm

tlecam wrote:
adamh8297 wrote:
tlecam wrote:

I didn't realize that they had as many flights to the vacation spots in the Mediterranean as they do. Service the the Adriatic and the Aegean seas in particular look impressive. That will definitely get some interest. Thanks!

Condor's primary business model is to take Germans on vacation. They still rely on travel agents and yes that's still a thing in Germany :)
They are trying to break into the U.S. and Canada market also with help from travel agents which I think is an iffy proposition considering that model of buying leisure travel has died here a long time ago.
https://www.travelweek.ca/news/condor-j ... ncy-sales/

tlecam wrote:
B6 has a good product and I welcome their introduction as it will add some price control for some of those routes that have little substantiative competition (MAD, AMS in particular.) CDG will now have AA flying again so at least OW and ST are competing.

I would love to see nothing more than B6 or DL enter the BOS-MUC route. From personal experience that has to be the TATL route with the most expensive fares.

tlecam

Tue Feb 15, 2022 3:01 pm

airbazar wrote:

tlecam wrote:

I would love to see nothing more than B6 or DL enter the BOS-MUC route. From personal experience that has to be the TATL route with the most expensive fares.
[/quote]

Agree 100% and you totally see the difference on connecting fares through MUC. My folks enjoy Croatia and the other countries along the Adriatic/Aegean and often connect through MUC; those fares are usually competitive, but direct to MUC can be wild. Crazy how market dynamics work. I know it's demand driven and all that, but it also tells you how much money LH is likely making on the MUC routes.

VS4ever

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:10 am

Massport finally bring back the Peabody Logan Express, but it’s now at the Northshore mall rather than the crazy site out on route 1

https://www.massport.com/logan-airport/ ... s/peabody/

aaflyer777

Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:26 am

Add PNS to the list of new AA destinations from BOS, Saturday only flight starting this summer

https://flypensacola.com/american-airli ... pensacola/

Kno

Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 am

CALMSP wrote:
Kno wrote:
PilotJAY16 wrote:

Gotcha! Which leaves the A13 and A17 up to the 763? I could have sworn I saw a 764 push back from A19.

A19 does fit the 767-400 but I don’t think a330s can fit.

yes, a 330 can park there, was there 3 weeks ago and it was parked there.

You sure that was a19? Just left a19 and the gate has no parking markers for an a330.

seat24charlie

Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:59 am

Had to delay my LHR-BOS flight from Tuesday to Friday, and now we have the storm coming in.

Any ideas on what BA's ops are like for storms like this? I'm due on BA213... just trying to prepare myself for the worst (cancellation)

CALMSP

Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:27 pm

Kno wrote:
CALMSP wrote:
Kno wrote:

A19 does fit the 767-400 but I don’t think a330s can fit.

yes, a 330 can park there, was there 3 weeks ago and it was parked there.

You sure that was a19? Just left a19 and the gate has no parking markers for an a330.

Yeah, my car is parked in front of the olane

pitbosflyer

Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:59 pm

VS4ever wrote:
Massport finally bring back the Peabody Logan Express, but it’s now at the Northshore mall rather than the crazy site out on route 1

I used it to get to Logan on Saturday morning. It was very efficient and left exactly on time. The location is much more convenient to get to for people on the North Shore compared to the Route 1 lot. It fills a hole left by the shut down of the Newburyport C&J station that moved up to Seabrook. Although there were not many people on my bus. Hopefully it will pick up traction as word spreads.

As a side note terminal C was slammed Saturday morning with the rush out of town for School Vacation week. The security lines came around the Jetblue checkin area on both sides all the way back to the door into the terminal. My Mosiac status got me nothing, the even more speed/precheck line was no where to be found. I also have never experienced what the TSA did to probably speed up the flow. Other than walking by some dogs we were told to take nothing out of our bags and leave shoes/belts on. Then just thru the metal detector. Liquids/laptops all just stayed where they were. They must have figured no way anyone would have made their flights with the usual protocol.

I'm down in Florida right now. Not a single tear shed about missing the snow storm. I just hope things calm down by Saturday for my return.

iyerhari

Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:34 pm

BOS Jan-2022 numbers are out. As one can imagine, certainly upticks expected.

Jan-22 Jan-21 % change
Domestic Charter 1,322 723 82.8%
Domestic Commuter 140,051 43,646 220.9%
Domestic Jet 1,312,027 585,827 124.0%
Total Domestic 1,453,400 630,196 130.6%
Bermuda/Bahamas/Caribbean 92,888 59,792 55.4%
Canada 11,013 2,994 267.8%
Central America 22,620 8,119 178.6%
Europe 98,903 20,848 374.4%
Middle East 31,744 11,869 167.5%
South America - 418 -100.0%
Trans-Pacific 4,951 2,787 77.6%
Australia - -
North Africa - - #DIV/0!
Other International - -
Total International 262,119 106,827 145.4%
General Aviation 5,178 3,224 60.6%
Total airport passengers 1,720,697 740,247 132.4%

RL757PVD

Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:57 pm

iyerhari wrote:

Jan-22 Jan-21 % change
Australia - -
North Africa - - #DIV/0!
Other International - -

How do these numbers compare to 2020 and 2019? Jan 2020 was the last month without covid impacts

asuflyer

Sun Feb 27, 2022 3:04 am

Latam Brazil confirms it's return to BOS from July 1st this time with 789's.

https://www.aviacionline.com/2022/02/la ... d-the-u-s/

PVD523

Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:03 am

RL757PVD wrote:
iyerhari wrote:

Jan-22 Jan-21 % change
Australia - -
North Africa - - #DIV/0!
Other International - -

How do these numbers compare to 2020 and 2019? Jan 2020 was the last month without covid impacts

Don’t currently have the time to break all the numbers down but total pax Jan 2019 was 2,710,036 and total pax Jan 2020 was 2,940,985. So, down approx 36.5% from 2019 and 42.5% from 2020.

phatfarmlines

Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:22 am

Would Massport consider in-filling in the gap between the circular road and the 2002 & 2014 extensions of Terminal B?

Kno

Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:35 pm

VS4ever wrote:

I wish they would bring Logan express to closer suburbs. Riverside in Newton would be ideal - it’s right where 95 and 90 intersect and they already have a bus terminal. A parking garage might need to be built to handle all the additional cars though.

cloudboy

Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:45 pm

Kno wrote:
VS4ever wrote:

I wish they would bring Logan express to closer suburbs. Riverside in Newton would be ideal - it’s right where 95 and 90 intersect and they already have a bus terminal. A parking garage might need to be built to handle all the additional cars though.

The biggest mistake they made was not adding an additional tube (or double tube) when they built the Ted Williams. A way to run trains directly through the airport. I know it would have gotten real complicated around South Station, but at the time they could have dealt with it. That part of the project came in under budget and early. That would have solved so many issues by having a main line that ran from Riverside, stopped at a large garage at the old freight yard, Back Bay and South Station, South Boston by the Convention Center, and then at the airport.

ScottB

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:32 am

cloudboy wrote:
The biggest mistake they made was not adding an additional tube (or double tube) when they built the Ted Williams. A way to run trains directly through the airport. I know it would have gotten real complicated around South Station, but at the time they could have dealt with it. That part of the project came in under budget and early. That would have solved so many issues by having a main line that ran from Riverside, stopped at a large garage at the old freight yard, Back Bay and South Station, South Boston by the Convention Center, and then at the airport.

Ugh no. The Green Line is the worst possible way to connect Riverside and Logan (apart from maybe tuk tuks on the Pike). Green Line trolleys aren't great for luggage, especially at rush hour, and the ride from Riverside to Logan would be just under an hour (it takes about 35 minutes to Boylston and that's where you'd split off to South Station/Seaport/Airport. It's just faster under almost all conditions to run a bus from Riverside or Natick non-stop to the airport -- even when traffic is bad.

Plus you're talking about a crapton of money to tunnel under Boylston/Essex Streets from Boylston T to South Station. Plus more money for a longer South Boston Piers Transitway (the Silver Line tunnel) that would extend to a tunnel under the harbor. Then there's the cost of running a trolley line around the airport and the question of exactly where you'd put it. You can't go to heavy rail because you have to share the tunnel under Boylston St with the rest of the Green Line and you'd have to upgrade every station on the D branch even if you could figure out a way to do it. Rebuilding Boylston station to build a tunnel east to South Station would be massively expensive and disruptive -- and it might be problematic because the station is historic.

Logan Express is just going to be a better alternative for virtually everyone.

Kno

Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:16 am

ScottB wrote:
cloudboy wrote:

Ugh no. The Green Line is the worst possible way to connect Riverside and Logan (apart from maybe tuk tuks on the Pike). Green Line trolleys aren't great for luggage, especially at rush hour, and the ride from Riverside to Logan would be just under an hour (it takes about 35 minutes to Boylston and that's where you'd split off to South Station/Seaport/Airport. It's just faster under almost all conditions to run a bus from Riverside or Natick non-stop to the airport -- even when traffic is bad.

Plus you're talking about a crapton of money to tunnel under Boylston/Essex Streets from Boylston T to South Station. Plus more money for a longer South Boston Piers Transitway (the Silver Line tunnel) that would extend to a tunnel under the harbor. Then there's the cost of running a trolley line around the airport and the question of exactly where you'd put it. You can't go to heavy rail because you have to share the tunnel under Boylston St with the rest of the Green Line and you'd have to upgrade every station on the D branch even if you could figure out a way to do it. Rebuilding Boylston station to build a tunnel east to South Station would be massively expensive and disruptive -- and it might be problematic because the station is historic.

Agreed the bus from riverside would be much better than any type of T extension. It’s only about a 20min drive from riverside to Logan. It seems like such a no brainer to have that bus service - towns like Needham, Wellesley, Weston, Newton, Waltham and more would all use that bus service (most literally drive by riverside to get to Logan) and have a large population of regular travelers who live only a 20-30min drive to the airport with no public transportation options to get there unless they want to spend hours connecting on trains that don’t run on time.

airbazar

Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:23 pm

pitbosflyer wrote:
As a side note terminal C was slammed Saturday morning with the rush out of town for School Vacation week. The security lines came around the Jetblue checkin area on both sides all the way back to the door into the terminal. My Mosiac status got me nothing, the even more speed/precheck line was no where to be found. I also have never experienced what the TSA did to probably speed up the flow. Other than walking by some dogs we were told to take nothing out of our bags and leave shoes/belts on. Then just thru the metal detector. Liquids/laptops all just stayed where they were. They must have figured no way anyone would have made their flights with the usual protocol.

I just had one of my worst flying experiences flying B6 on Sunday the 20th, BOS-DEN.
It started when they delayed the flight by 3.5 hours but never sent a text message to let me know about the delay and I only found out when I got to the airport. That's just unacceptable, IMO. They did send an email 3 hours before the flight but I was already driving to the airport and who's checking email regularly anyway? There's a reason why my cell phone number is in my reservation, Jetblue!
So 8pm departure, gets delayed to 11:30pm, then further delayed to mid-night, we eventually departed around 00:30am. A total delay of 4.5 hours. I didn't get into my hotel until 4am. I get that aircraft sometimes have problems but at the home base there ought to be a replacement aircraft ready to be subbed in. A delay of this magnitude at the airline's home base is completely unacceptable IMO. If B6 doesn't keep spare aircraft at their hub then there is absolutely no reason to give the home based airline my business.
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/JBU ... /KBOS/KDEN
Then we get to the airport and the line to drop off the bags was ridiculously long and all of it due to the new'ish rule not allowing full size carry-on bags for basic fares. If I had to estimate I'd say that 70% of the passengers waiting in line to drop off their checked bags had a carry-on size bag but it's now cheaper to check a bag than it is to buy a more expensive fare that allows full size carry-ons. But guess what, they only had 2 or 3 bag drop kiosks open. The end result is a ginormous line of passengers with tiny little bags. The security line however was short because the bottleneck was back at the bag drop, so there's that.
Again, I get that airlines want to make extra money from these ancillary luggage fees but their policy change forced more people to check bags and they did not add more bag drop kiosks so that's 100% on B6 and their poor planning.
All in all a really poor experience for a customer that doesn't fly B6 all that much and is really trying to like B6 because they are the home town airline, but they failed miserably. My next flight in 2 weeks is on Delta, the other hometown airline. All they have to do is get me to my destination with less than 4.5 hour delay and they will be looking good :)

tlecam

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:04 pm

ugh. I'm on the 7:15 UA flight to DEN tomorrow AM. I have a car picking me up at 5:15 in Southie so will be at Terminal B by 5:30 or so. Better be enough time to check my bags. No status on UA but I do have Pre-Check.

airbazar

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:32 pm

tlecam wrote:
ugh. I'm on the 7:15 UA flight to DEN tomorrow AM. I have a car picking me up at 5:15 in Southie so will be at Terminal B by 5:30 or so. Better be enough time to check my bags. No status on UA but I do have Pre-Check.

My bad experience that I posted above was on B6. I'm a long time UA FF. In fact, my trip last week was outbound leg on B6 and inbound on UA. One of the advantages of flying UA out of BOS is that they are a relatively small operation here compared to B6 and DL so I never run into long security lines or a over crowded terminal.
One small word of advice regarding Denver, North security [last week] was open only to Pre-check/Clear passengers. Everyone else was sent to South security and as a consequence the lines there can get long. If you have pre-check/Clear, great.

boston5555

Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:48 pm

airbazar wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

I just had one of my worst flying experiences flying B6 on Sunday the 20th, BOS-DEN.
It started when they delayed the flight by 3.5 hours but never sent a text message to let me know about the delay and I only found out when I got to the airport. That's just unacceptable, IMO. They did send an email 3 hours before the flight but I was already driving to the airport and who's checking email regularly anyway? There's a reason why my cell phone number is in my reservation, Jetblue!
So 8pm departure, gets delayed to 11:30pm, then further delayed to mid-night, we eventually departed around 00:30am. A total delay of 4.5 hours. I didn't get into my hotel until 4am. I get that aircraft sometimes have problems but at the home base there ought to be a replacement aircraft ready to be subbed in. A delay of this magnitude at the airline's home base is completely unacceptable IMO. If B6 doesn't keep spare aircraft at their hub then there is absolutely no reason to give the home based airline my business.
Then we get to the airport and the line to drop off the bags was ridiculously long and all of it due to the new'ish rule not allowing full size carry-on bags for basic fares. If I had to estimate I'd say that 70% of the passengers waiting in line to drop off their checked bags had a carry-on size bag but it's now cheaper to check a bag than it is to buy a more expensive fare that allows full size carry-ons. But guess what, they only had 2 or 3 bag drop kiosks open. The end result is a ginormous line of passengers with tiny little bags. The security line however was short because the bottleneck was back at the bag drop, so there's that.
Again, I get that airlines want to make extra money from these ancillary luggage fees but their policy change forced more people to check bags and they did not add more bag drop kiosks so that's 100% on B6 and their poor planning.
All in all a really poor experience for a customer that doesn't fly B6 all that much and is really trying to like B6 because they are the home town airline, but they failed miserably. My next flight in 2 weeks is on Delta, the other hometown airline. All they have to do is get me to my destination with less than 4.5 hour delay and they will be looking good :)

B6 really struggles around school vacation week and spring break. So many flights, so many vacationers and a ton of families traveling. I flew out on DL on Sunday morning … was told to be there 3 hours early. Didn’t go that far, but did get there at 6 for an 8 o’clock flight. If you had pre-check, you were more than fine - I was checked in (had to check a bag of ski stuff) and through security by 6:40. But it was crowded. B6 does need to figure out their crowd control during peak times, especially during the winter when so many are traveling north to south.

B6BOSfan

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:38 am

airbazar wrote:
tlecam wrote:

My bad experience that I posted above was on B6. I'm a long time UA FF. In fact, my trip last week was outbound leg on B6 and inbound on UA. One of the advantages of flying UA out of BOS is that they are a relatively small operation here compared to B6 and DL so I never run into long security lines or a over crowded terminal.
One small word of advice regarding Denver, North security [last week] was open only to Pre-check/Clear passengers. Everyone else was sent to South security and as a consequence the lines there can get long. If you have pre-check/Clear, great.

The Terminal C/JetBlue PreCheck non-existent is very surprising. Typically always open, VERY VERY hidden on the far left side of security (with no signage).

I've used United/Terminal B for a DEN flight at end of January (same 7am one). Was quick and very easy, and a breeze to check in ski/boot bag. TSA Precheck Line has moved to Southwest side of check-ins, but was open and super fast. Good luck!

B6BOSfan

Tue Mar 01, 2022 12:47 am

airbazar wrote:
pitbosflyer wrote:

Hope you have a good trip. JetBlue NEEDS better technology when flights are delayed and cancelled. Have experienced similar issues with them, and their website is no help.

I have to say, Delta's tech was a huge letdown for me on Saturday. Flight from BOS-ATL was cancelled after I checked in, I found out only hours later when I checked my email. (no text, no email push, no call, despite me being a longtime card holder and member). Their re-scheduling AI put me on a flight 24 hours later, with two impossible connections due to time in MSP AND ATL.

I know everyone is short-staffed, but the tech should be so much better nowadays!

chrisnh

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:59 am

Took HAL89 this morning. I’d guess it was over 90% full, which made me wonder how BOS stacks up on their list of mainland destinations.

There’s a process for getting on this flight, as many know, having to do with QR codes and colored wristbands. Folks who weren’t prepared…and there were some…undoubtedly had another layer of stress as they searched frantically for their official e-mail from Hawaii.

Minus the morning BA flight, the only ‘big’ thing at E at that early hour is HA89. Wheels up/down was a flat 11 hours. Maddeningly, my seat back IFE at 19A was DOA for the whole flight. So was the one next to mine, 19B. I paid a few extra bucks for a ‘more comfort’ seat, guessing (correctly) that the chances of someone else upgrading to the seat next to mine were less than 50%. So while IFE was ano-go, I had plenty of personal space. That mattered on an 11-hour trip, way more than it would on my frequent trips to/from Charleston on JetBlue.

N374HA.

airbazar

Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:09 pm

B6BOSfan wrote:
Hope you have a good trip. JetBlue NEEDS better technology when flights are delayed and cancelled. Have experienced similar issues with them, and their website is no help.

I have to say, Delta's tech was a huge letdown for me on Saturday. Flight from BOS-ATL was cancelled after I checked in, I found out only hours later when I checked my email. (no text, no email push, no call, despite me being a longtime card holder and member). Their re-scheduling AI put me on a flight 24 hours later, with two impossible connections due to time in MSP AND ATL.

I know everyone is short-staffed, but the tech should be so much better nowadays!

Two reasons right there why I've been a loyal UA FF since the late 90's: their tech and the uncrowded terminal. That and their branded CC with Chase must offer the best perks around of any comparable airline CC and their customer service is the best I have ever encountered.
Here's a funny example, on my return from DEN we had a last minute delay imposed by ATC arrivals in BOS. This was last Friday night during the snow storm. We were already at the gate when the flight was delayed and I found out before the gate agent made the announcement. I was sitting with my wife when I got the txt message and I told her and she was like: that must be a mistake because the board still says we're on time. To which I responded, nope we're delayed look at the gate agent, she's talking on the phone right now and getting the news herself :)
I could give you other examples where their tech and customer service have been very helpful but I feel like I'd be going off topic too much for this thread. Bottom line is B6 in Boston needs to do a lot better to get me to switch. I will take the occasional flight with them but for the time being UA will continue to be my preferred airline.

VS4ever

Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:51 pm

chrisnh wrote:
Took HAL89 this morning. I’d guess it was over 90% full, which made me wonder how BOS stacks up on their list of mainland destinations.

There’s a process for getting on this flight, as many know, having to do with QR codes and colored wristbands. Folks who weren’t prepared…and there were some…undoubtedly had another layer of stress as they searched frantically for their official e-mail from Hawaii.

Minus the morning BA flight, the only ‘big’ thing at E at that early hour is HA89. Wheels up/down was a flat 11 hours. Maddeningly, my seat back IFE at 19A was DOA for the whole flight. So was the one next to mine, 19B. I paid a few extra bucks for a ‘more comfort’ seat, guessing (correctly) that the chances of someone else upgrading to the seat next to mine were less than 50%. So while IFE was ano-go, I had plenty of personal space. That mattered on an 11-hour trip, way more than it would on my frequent trips to/from Charleston on JetBlue.

N374HA.

Funny you should ask, as yesterday, I had downloaded the T-100's for 2021 domestic..so I just happen to have that data through November :)

firstly BOS on it's own:

Jan - 33.33%
Feb - 35.72%
Mar - 43.11%
Apr - 62.88%
May - 72.26%
Jun - 79.20%
Jul - 93.03%
Aug - 88.91%
Sep - 62,43%
Oct - 67.01%
Nov - 58.69%
Year Avg - 68.71%

328 flights logged, 278 seats per flight = 91,184 seats and a conversion to 62,652 passengers

How does BOS stack up against everything else? - Actually, not good. on a pure Year Avg basis (not taking into account potential yields and stuff)- we are 15 out of 16, with only MCO averaging less.

Order goes: LAX, ONT, SAN, SFO, JFK, LAS, SMF, SEA, PDX, PHX, AUS, SJC, LGB, OAK, BOS, MCO

We are about 1% ahead of MCO and 1% behind OAK

airbazar

Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:39 pm

VS4ever wrote:
chrisnh wrote:

N374HA.

Funny you should ask, as yesterday, I had downloaded the T-100's for 2021 domestic..so I just happen to have that data through November :)

firstly BOS on it's own:

Jan - 33.33%
Feb - 35.72%
Mar - 43.11%
Apr - 62.88%
May - 72.26%
Jun - 79.20%
Jul - 93.03%
Aug - 88.91%
Sep - 62,43%
Oct - 67.01%
Nov - 58.69%
Year Avg - 68.71%

328 flights logged, 278 seats per flight = 91,184 seats and a conversion to 62,652 passengers

How does BOS stack up against everything else? - Actually, not good. on a pure Year Avg basis (not taking into account potential yields and stuff)- we are 15 out of 16, with only MCO averaging less.

Order goes: LAX, ONT, SAN, SFO, JFK, LAS, SMF, SEA, PDX, PHX, AUS, SJC, LGB, OAK, BOS, MCO

We are about 1% ahead of MCO and 1% behind OAK

It's really not surprising. I wouldn't expect BOS to have as much traffic to HNL as any West Coast city. And then there's the huge variety of 1-stop options on other carriers. Having been to Hawaii multiple times, I will always chose the 1-stop option vs. the non-stop. If anything, AUS is the outlier in that list but given the recent influx of people from Cali maybe it shouldn't be?

S0Y

Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:59 pm

airbazar wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
Bottom line is B6 in Boston needs to do a lot better to get me to switch. I will take the occasional flight with them but for the time being UA will continue to be my preferred airline.

Its not BOS specific, they are no better in other locations, sadly B6 management are not up to the job. Frontline staff are great but are scuppered by the failings of leadership.
When things go wrong on B6, they go very wrong. Shame really.

cloudboy

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:25 pm

Kno wrote:
ScottB wrote:
cloudboy wrote:

Agreed the bus from riverside would be much better than any type of T extension. It’s only about a 20min drive from riverside to Logan. It seems like such a no brainer to have that bus service - towns like Needham, Wellesley, Weston, Newton, Waltham and more would all use that bus service (most literally drive by riverside to get to Logan) and have a large population of regular travelers who live only a 20-30min drive to the airport with no public transportation options to get there unless they want to spend hours connecting on trains that don’t run on time.

Not light rail. Heavy rail. Using something like the Nippon-Sharyo trains they do for the Toronto Pearson express. There's a spur from the Framingham/Worcester line that least to the backside of Riverside - they used it briefly when they were working on the Green Line years and years ago. Other than bridging the gap between South Station and South Boston Waterfront with something other than that out of the way loop, the track was all there, and even used at the time. Now everything is built up around there and you wold never get it through. At the time, while it would have been a lot more expensive, they could have even extended it beyond the airport along the old rail beds and had another, albeit fairly useless, North-South rail connection.

jplatts

Tue Mar 01, 2022 6:52 pm

S0Y wrote:
B6BOSfan wrote:
Bottom line is B6 in Boston needs to do a lot better to get me to switch. I will take the occasional flight with them but for the time being UA will continue to be my preferred airline.

Its not BOS specific, they are no better in other locations, sadly B6 management are not up to the job. Frontline staff are great but are scuppered by the failings of leadership.
When things go wrong on B6, they go very wrong. Shame really.

There are some more adds that WN could make at BOS such as the return of BOS-AUS/DAL/HOU/PHX nonstop service and frequency increases on BOS-DEN/BNA once WN has more planes in its fleet.

WN currently offers connections to some destinations not currently served by B6 from BOS through BWI, MDW, DEN, BNA, and STL.

WN would be able to offer 1-stop connections to more destinations from BOS if WN BOS-AUS/DAL/HOU nonstop service is re-added, and WN was also originally planning on resuming DAL-AUS/DAL/HOU nonstop service in Spring 2020 before the COVID-19 pandemic hit.

airbazar

Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:52 pm

cloudboy wrote:
Not light rail. Heavy rail. Using something like the Nippon-Sharyo trains they do for the Toronto Pearson express. There's a spur from the Framingham/Worcester line that least to the backside of Riverside - they used it briefly when they were working on the Green Line years and years ago. Other than bridging the gap between South Station and South Boston Waterfront with something other than that out of the way loop, the track was all there, and even used at the time. Now everything is built up around there and you wold never get it through. At the time, while it would have been a lot more expensive, they could have even extended it beyond the airport along the old rail beds and had another, albeit fairly useless, North-South rail connection.

Every time I travel out of Boston it becomes so apparent how poor and antiquated our public transit system is. It's really baffling that while other major cities are investing heavily in public transit infrastructure, we're still stuck with infrastructure that hasn't changed in 100 years and has barely been upgraded.
At this pace we're all going to be driving electric cars before we electrify our commuter rail which is astonishing given that electric trains have been the norm around the world for decades. To say nothing about almost zero expansion (yes I know all about the new green line extension. It only took 30 years).
jplatts wrote:
There are some more adds that WN could make at BOS such as the return of BOS-AUS/DAL/HOU/PHX nonstop service and frequency increases on BOS-DEN/BNA once WN has more planes in its fleet.

I don't see WN adding much if anything in BOS. IMO, they missed the boat and should re-focus on PVD/MHT. They offer nothing of value at BOS over what other carriers already offer and their product is stuck in the 90's.

In other news, the "inaugural" ITA flight from Rome is on its way:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ITY ... /LIRF/KBOS

Dab747

Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:59 pm

EL-AL has loaded it flights LY 15 and LY 16 (TLV-BOS-TLV) into their reservation system in May. Flights operate westwards on Sunday and Thursday mornings and arrive back in TLV on Monday and Friday afternoons. Will these complement Delta’s flights from Boston to Israel?

chrisnh

Tue Mar 08, 2022 12:57 am

airbazar wrote:
I don't see WN adding much if anything in BOS. IMO, they missed the boat and should re-focus on PVD/MHT. They offer nothing of value at BOS over what other carriers already offer and their product is stuck in the 90's.

I don’t know if WN thought Spirit and Frontier and Delta and JetBlue would be nuisances to be swatted away, but that decidedly hasn’t happened. On top of that, the cost for WN to operate at Logan is much higher than it would be if they built MHT and PVD like their ‘secondary airport strategy’ suggested they should. The fuel their 737s consume just taxiing at Logan dwarfs what it would be at MHT/PVD. Then there are landing fees…

I don’t believe for a minute that WN ‘had’ to be at Logan. But there they are, and it’s like another PHL for them.

greg787

Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:38 pm

chrisnh wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I don’t know if WN thought Spirit and Frontier and Delta and JetBlue would be nuisances to be swatted away, but that decidedly hasn’t happened. On top of that, the cost for WN to operate at Logan is much higher than it would be if they built MHT and PVD like their ‘secondary airport strategy’ suggested they should. The fuel their 737s consume just taxiing at Logan dwarfs what it would be at MHT/PVD. Then there are landing fees…

I don’t believe for a minute that WN ‘had’ to be at Logan. But there they are, and it’s like another PHL for them.

I'm trying to remember way back when....Did WN get into BOS through AirTran or did they go in by themselves before that?

VS4ever

Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:24 pm

greg787 wrote:
chrisnh wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I'm trying to remember way back when....Did WN get into BOS through AirTran or did they go in by themselves before that?

Air Tran were here first. WN started in Q3 2009, then the merger happened 18 months or so later.

airbazar

Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:35 pm

chrisnh wrote:

Originally they seemed to have a pretty good strategy and there was definitely room for them to grow but but they were not aggressive enough. It's like they just assumed that people would flock to their flights simply by being there.
And in the process not only did they alienate their MHT based customers (I'm not as familiar with PVD), but they conditioned them to drive to BOS where they then found other airlines.

rjbesikof

Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:36 pm

What are the load factors on DL's currently operating TATL routes (AMS, CDG, LHR, DUB)?

ScottB

Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:45 pm

greg787 wrote:

They entered BOS before the AirTran merger. They announced service in February, 2009 and commenced flying to BOS that August. The AirTran merger wasn't announced until over a year later.

cloudboy wrote:
Not light rail. Heavy rail. Using something like the Nippon-Sharyo trains they do for the Toronto Pearson express. There's a spur from the Framingham/Worcester line that least to the backside of Riverside - they used it briefly when they were working on the Green Line years and years ago. Other than bridging the gap between South Station and South Boston Waterfront with something other than that out of the way loop, the track was all there, and even used at the time.

Not enough incremental ridership for the several billion dollars this would have cost -- and you'd still have to take a shuttle bus once you reach Logan since a DMU isn't going to make a loop around the terminals. Plus the connection over Track 61 to South Station and Back Bay is very indirect and would likely interfere with traffic on the Old Colony Line. Trains would have to go into South Station, then reverse out to go down to South Bay/Widett Circle, then loop around to use Track 61 into the Seaport.

VS4ever

Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:49 pm

rjbesikof wrote:
What are the load factors on DL's currently operating TATL routes (AMS, CDG, LHR, DUB)?

Unless you are an insider or access to paid info, the only publicly available info is via the good ole T-100's and they are on a 6 month lag, meaning latest info is Aug 21.

airbazar

Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:56 pm

VS4ever wrote:
rjbesikof wrote:

Unless you are an insider or access to paid info, the only publicly available info is via the good ole T-100's and they are on a 6 month lag, meaning latest info is Aug 21.

For what it's worth, I tried pricing some tickets for April vacation to all of those except DUB, and the prices were super high. That's usually a good sign, for the route.

Kno

Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:43 am

On sat March 26th there is an opportunity with Delta to catch an a333 bos-atl and a 764 atl-bos…. Delta will also be having regularly scheduled 76W service on bos-atl for the first time in years from mid March - early may.

I’m nostalgic for these flights - growing up in the late 90s and early 00s widebodies on bos-atl we’re the norm with DL.

chrisnh

Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Kno wrote:

I’m nostalgic for these flights - growing up in the late 90s and early 00s widebodies on bos-atl we’re the norm with DL.

I flew on DL L-1011s between BOS-LGA, and don’t forget all the 1011s they flew between BOS-YUL!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos