Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MCOflyer

Re: Amazon Fleet News and Discussion Thread - 2022

Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:44 pm

What bird is over at MLB? All white 767 freighter minus winglets and ge engines.

Spacepope

Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:37 pm

ATI's N941AZ apparently got a little ramp rash that went unnoticed before a transcon. As of 3/2021 she had 103,000 hours and 22.5k cycles on her.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4fcc5024&opt=0

Read the comments section for a good chuckle.

twincommander

Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:46 pm

Spacepope wrote:
ATI's N941AZ apparently got a little ramp rash that went unnoticed before a transcon. As of 3/2021 she had 103,000 hours and 22.5k cycles on her.

https://avherald.com/h?article=4fcc5024&opt=0

Read the comments section for a good chuckle.

Chuckle, indeed.

Lots of disgruntled former workers I'm guessing.

stretch8

Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:22 pm

Could it possibly be N491AZ? cheers!

Spacepope

Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:52 am

stretch8 wrote:
Could it possibly be N491AZ? cheers!

I possibly do have fat finger syndrome. 491 sounds more correct though so let’s run with that

USAirKid

Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:26 am

Amazon workers walk off job at major West Coast air hub

Dozens of Amazon employees at the company’s air hub in San Bernardino, Calif., on Monday abandoned their workstations mid-shift over low wages and concerns regarding heat safety.

The article mentions that about 10% of the facility’s employees walked out.

It also mentions that the employees are severely rent burdened, given the median price of housing they have to put ~75% of their wages toward housing.

Oddly, Amazon also stated they respected their employee’s right to walk out… though they’d probably also be willing to use their right to terminate their employment.

I’m curious if there were any notable effects visible on turn times or other metrics we can see?

HPRamper

Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:09 am

USAirKid wrote:

Dozens of Amazon employees at the company’s air hub in San Bernardino, Calif., on Monday abandoned their workstations mid-shift over low wages and concerns regarding heat safety.

It also mentions that the employees are severely rent burdened, given the median price of housing they have to put ~75% of their wages toward housing.

Oddly, Amazon also stated they respected their employee’s right to walk out… though they’d probably also be willing to use their right to terminate their employment.

I’m curious if there were any notable effects visible on turn times or other metrics we can see?

I have yet to come across an air-conditioned warehouse, and I've worked in a lot of warehouses including in high-heat and high-humidity areas. Best you'll get is a jug of Gatorade and maybe a wet bandanna...in a few cases maybe those cooling bandannas. Interesting to see what they expected. The wages are a whole other thing.

CALMSP

Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:10 pm

HPRamper wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

I have yet to come across an air-conditioned warehouse, and I've worked in a lot of warehouses including in high-heat and high-humidity areas. Best you'll get is a jug of Gatorade and maybe a wet bandanna...in a few cases maybe those cooling bandannas. Interesting to see what they expected. The wages are a whole other thing.

the warehouse is a/c, its the ramp it seems the employee is stating concerns about.

HPRamper

Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:49 am

CALMSP wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
USAirKid wrote:

the warehouse is a/c, its the ramp it seems the employee is stating concerns about.

Bizarre. The ramp even in the summertime is manageable. They find a way to make it work in PHX. I have to think the rent thing is a way bigger issue.

stretch8

Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:50 pm

About 0815L EST, N617AZ AZ B763 BDSF moved from AZ Ramp to Delta Hgr located near rwy 18L at CVG. cheers!

JayinKitsap

Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:27 pm

An article from Zerohedge.com on Amazon

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/amazo ... down-fears

jbs2886

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 pm

JayinKitsap wrote:

There's a lot of problems with this article - first its clearly driving a narrative as evident by its last paragraphs. Nevertheless, it assumes that flights are proxy for cargo actually carried - it may be true, but its an assumption. It also assumes that flights is a proxy for all Amazon sales. With the massive FC growth is entirely reasonable that the air growth wasn't needed to get 1-2 day delivery. It also doesn't go into whether Amazon changed when shorter delivery times are offered (e.g., only when its in a nearby FC versus needing to haul it across country).

Spacepope

Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:20 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

There's a lot of problems with this article - first its clearly driving a narrative as evident by its last paragraphs. Nevertheless, it assumes that flights are proxy for cargo actually carried - it may be true, but its an assumption. It also assumes that flights is a proxy for all Amazon sales. With the massive FC growth is entirely reasonable that the air growth wasn't needed to get 1-2 day delivery. It also doesn't go into whether Amazon changed when shorter delivery times are offered (e.g., only when its in a nearby FC versus needing to haul it across country).

This is why reasonable people don't usually put any stock in sources like Zerohedge.

Ground shipping from my experience at work is not as bad as during the lockdown days, but it hasn't really opened up wide either. While the prime trucks are much more plentiful, I still get silly things delivered by air usually close to overnight like dishwasher detergent pods that started their day in Tulsa, and which still plied that air network.

Now.... if air freight falls too much we may see the Prime aircraft running emptier, since the third party cargo they also carry may dry up.

USAirKid

Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:12 pm

Spacepope wrote:
Ground shipping from my experience at work is not as bad as during the lockdown days, but it hasn't really opened up wide either. While the prime trucks are much more plentiful, I still get silly things delivered by air usually close to overnight like dishwasher detergent pods that started their day in Tulsa, and which still plied that air network.

Now.... if air freight falls too much we may see the Prime aircraft running emptier, since the third party cargo they also carry may dry up.

Yeah I just had a tube of specialized glue get flown to Seattle from Baltimore. Though USPS biffed the delivery so it was a day later than I wanted it.

I was under the impression that the Prime aircraft pretty much only shipped finished Amazon packages. Where'd you see that they were carrying third party cargo.

USAirKid

Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:14 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
JayinKitsap wrote:

All of this, plus it ignores that its pretty likely Amazon has grown the air network very quickly and a bit faster than they can currently fill, anticipating the growth.

Spacepope

Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:27 pm

USAirKid wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Yeah I just had a tube of specialized glue get flown to Seattle from Baltimore. Though USPS biffed the delivery so it was a day later than I wanted it.

I was under the impression that the Prime aircraft pretty much only shipped finished Amazon packages. Where'd you see that they were carrying third party cargo.

Here's an article on how their air network is flying stuff for other customers https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/04/how-ama ... d-ups.html

USAirKid

Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:34 am

Spacepope wrote:
Here's an article on how their air network is flying stuff for other customers https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/04/how-ama ... d-ups.html

Interesting. I also found this quote from the linked article, https://www.theinformation.com/articles ... rce=ti_app , to be more insightful:

One person who until recently worked at Amazon’s air cargo hub in Baltimore told The Information that they regularly loaded and unloaded USPS cargo from Amazon planes. And in a piece of information buried in a 2019 filing with securities regulators, Sun Country Airlines—one of the air cargo companies Amazon works with—says it is obligated to carry cargo from the postal service on behalf of the internet retailer.

wjcandee

Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:08 am

Nothing in that article says that they are currently doing logistics as a service for non-sellers on Amazon in the US. They obviously provide a lot of fulfillment of third parties transmitting stuff from their warehouses, which is really indistinguishable from shipping their own stuff. Are they carrying some freight for USPS? Maybe. Or maybe people are seeing stuff that is coming from Amazon but going to USPS for final mile. In any event, carrying some USPS cans (if that's what they're doing) from airport to airport seems like a smart thing to do to fill extra space where available. This doesn't make Amazon "compete with FedEx and UPS", which is the tired old inaccurate narrative that the media has been spinning for over 5 years now. It's wrong. It's crap. And the moment I see that in an article, I assume the rest of it is also BS. The nitwits from DePaul still appear not to understand what Amazon is doing. They're reporting inaccurately every year on a project they apparently don't understand. It's an embarrassment, in my view. And it shows the real value of PhD programs at a lot of lesser universities -- academics vs real world.

frmrCapCadet

Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:58 pm

Amazon did some almost exponential growth because of Covid. They and especially their grunt workers deserve a lot of credit. It should not be a surprise that there was some excess growth as things return to their new normal. Even that article seemed to say the Amazon's growth was slowing down, not that it had shrunk. I think there was an Amazon quote sometime ago that said every package delivered by air represented a failure. Obviously an exaggeration but still making the point that the system should be overnight by trucks and vans for about everything.

Spacepope

Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:27 pm

This came out over Twitter today:

Hawaiian to operate 10 A330P2Fs for Amazon, under Hawaiian's certificate and mx.

Guess we know where some of those CAM A330 conversions are ending up. https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1 ... R207wn477g

jbs2886

Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:23 pm

Spacepope wrote:

Hawaiian to operate 10 A330P2Fs for Amazon, under Hawaiian's certificate and mx.

Guess we know where some of those CAM A330 conversions are ending up. https://twitter.com/ByERussell/status/1 ... R207wn477g

They're being leased from Altavair, not CAM though.

Spacepope

Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:48 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Ah, so they are.

What's this going to do to logistics though, since each Amazon Air type now will have its own different fuselage cross section?

USAirKid

Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:59 pm

Spacepope wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

Ah, so they are.

What's this going to do to logistics though, since each Amazon Air type now will have its own different fuselage cross section?

Complicate them a bit, but I’m sure the IT side of things will manage most of it.

I’m not really sure Amazon is focused on moving full pallets between planes. Even then, the 330 can fit the 767 cans, there is just some waste.

wjcandee

Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:54 pm

USAirKid wrote:
I’m not really sure Amazon is focused on moving full pallets between planes.

That was 100 percent of the operation for a long time.

What this means is probably that these a/c will be used mostly back and forth to a sort hub.

USAirKid

Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:14 am

In https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/a ... AA13eRkV|4

I found this interesting nugget about Hawaiian flying for Amazon.
The carrier beat out five other bidders, though the amount of the contract was not disclosed, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Now I’m curious who the other bidders were? I’m guessing Atlas and ATSG (either ATI or ABX.. or both.) but who would the other two or three be? I’m not sure if I could see DL bidding… or maybe Sun Country?
Last edited by USAirKid on Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

USAirKid

Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:17 am

wjcandee wrote:
USAirKid wrote:
I’m not really sure Amazon is focused on moving full pallets between planes.

That was 100 percent of the operation for a long time.

What this means is probably that these a/c will be used mostly back and forth to a sort hub.

I almost expect them to bifurcate things, either making the 767s the planes that go through sort hubs, and the A330s the ones that go point to point, or vice versa.

I’m curious if there are any insights here given how the 737s are used in the US?

Spacepope

Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:43 pm

USAirKid wrote:

The carrier beat out five other bidders, though the amount of the contract was not disclosed, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Now I’m curious who the other bidders were? I’m guessing Atlas and ATSG (either ATI or ABX.. or both.) but who would the other two or three be? I’m not sure if I could see DL bidding… or maybe Sun Country?
likely Amerijet was one.after that you have very few us options. Kalitta? Mesa? IFL?

Staralexi

Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:09 pm

Does anyone have an up to date list of all aircraft owned by/controlled by/ under contract to Amazon by type and base?

IAmGaroott

Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:32 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

I don’t see any A333s in Altavair’s fleet. Are they getting them from elsewhere? The ex AA birds perhaps?

nws2002

Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:26 pm

USAirKid wrote:

SY added the A330 rates to their recent pilot contract, so they likely bid for this flying.

wjcandee

Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:36 pm

Staralexi wrote:
Does anyone have an up to date list of all aircraft owned by/controlled by/ under contract to Amazon by type and base?

Yes. But it's unwieldy.

Not by base. That you're even asking about bases indicates that you don't really understand how the network works.

wjcandee

Sat Oct 22, 2022 3:43 pm

Potential bidders included Amerijet, Air South, eastern, atsg, Atlas, Sun Country, maybe Kailtta, Mesa, National (which flies the A330) even Western Global. So there were a lot of potential bidders. Some more likely to be taken seriously then others.

Boof02671

Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:06 pm

I doubt any airline that already doesn’t fly the 330 would bid on it. The the training costs, maintenance, spares etc would be a tremendous outlay of expenses. Plus the 330 isn’t on their AOC nor any pilots or maintenance personnel qualified to work them without training etc.

Articuno

Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:22 pm

IAmGaroott wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

I don’t see any A333s in Altavair’s fleet. Are they getting them from elsewhere? The ex AA birds perhaps?

According to Cargo Facts, 6 are ex-Etihad for sure, the rest 4 are behind the paywall, but my guesses are the 4 “brand new” ones that HX canceled. Altavair purchased them from Airbus and will send them directly to freighter conversion.

jetblueguy22

Tue Nov 01, 2022 8:11 pm

Something interesting I noticed while driving home from work today. I saw my first amazon air trailer. It was a UPS style with the side roll up doors.

I know sort capacity at gateways has been a big bottleneck for Amazon Air, but I was surprised to see this. Guessing this means CVG has the ability to make building level containers ala UPS/FX. Huge move forward for their network. Now I’m wondering how they’re unloading them at the DSes.

MO11

Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:00 am

Articuno wrote:
IAmGaroott wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

According to Cargo Facts, 6 are ex-Etihad for sure, the rest 4 are behind the paywall, but my guesses are the 4 “brand new” ones that HX canceled. Altavair purchased them from Airbus and will send them directly to freighter conversion.

Yes on the Chinese airplanes.

CALMSP

Wed Nov 02, 2022 1:12 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Something interesting I noticed while driving home from work today. I saw my first amazon air trailer. It was a UPS style with the side roll up doors.

I know sort capacity at gateways has been a big bottleneck for Amazon Air, but I was surprised to see this. Guessing this means CVG has the ability to make building level containers ala UPS/FX. Huge move forward for their network. Now I’m wondering how they’re unloading them at the DSes.

They’ve been around for a while and at a number of gateways.

stretch8

Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:11 pm

N613AZ AZ B763 BDSF delivered MEX-CVG-ILN today. cheers!

gdavis003

Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:13 pm

BFM (Mobile, AL) is the newest Amazon Air station, with service from AFW on the Silver ATRs. Leasing 16,000 sqft for ops at BFM with a major distribution center not far from the field. Service began this morning:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SIL ... /KAFW/KBFM
https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2022/11/ ... ments.html

Delta28L

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:44 pm

Looks like Boise has joined the amazon air network. RIV-BOI-AFW on a 737 flown by atlas air is the first routing

LotsaRunway

Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:02 pm

Rumors of Amazon starting MHT very soon too. I believe MHT just finished building a large new cargo facility for an unnamed airline, just in time for the holiday surge.

CALMSP

Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:48 am

LotsaRunway wrote:
Rumors of Amazon starting MHT very soon too. I believe MHT just finished building a large new cargo facility for an unnamed airline, just in time for the holiday surge.

not a rumor, been known for months that MHT is joining. a 763 rotation through CVG.

UPlog

Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:09 pm

Amazon partnering with Azul Brazil to transport packages from its fulfillment center in Cajamr in Sao Paulo state to various domestic markets.

https://aircargoworld.com/news/carriers ... zul-cargo/

USAirKid

Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:38 pm

UPlog wrote:
Amazon partnering with Azul Brazil to transport packages from its fulfillment center in Cajamr in Sao Paulo state to various domestic markets.

https://aircargoworld.com/news/carriers ... zul-cargo/

This looks a bit different than Amazon’s other efforts. Instead of Amazon scheduling and owning the planes, they’re just buying freight capacity on Azul’s cargo (and passenger?) planes?

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... 80733.html

BTVB6Flyer

Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:23 am

Looks like seasonal; SBD-TPA added:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ATN3555

Delta28L

Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:18 am

BTVB6Flyer wrote:
Looks like seasonal; SBD-TPA added:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/ATN3555

SBD has grown to an average of ten daily flights on amazon and it’s partners.

AFW has grown to an average of twenty one daily flights on amazon and its partners. Looks like AFW is the number two largest station in the air network based on daily flights behind the main air hub in CVG.

wjcandee

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:27 am

So SILVER has been flying for Amazon for about a year, and has 5 ATR72s actively in service, all from AFW.

From AFW, the stations are BFM (Mobile), DSM (Des Moines), OMA (Omaha), ICT (Wichita).

All flights are out-and-backs. Basically one round-trip per aircraft per day at this point. Flight times, given these routes, range from an hour-ish to two-hours-ish each way.

Previously, Silver flew AFW-ABQ, but that stopped on 10/31/22.

Wondering what the word is on how the service is doing, and any plans to expand beyond 5 planes and 4 stations from one hub.

wjcandee

Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:34 am

I'll probably jinx it, but little old ILN is still hanging in there despite the giant Amazon station down the road at CVG. Still 12-ish flights each way per day. Given the sophistication of the Amazon network now, only a couple are out-and-backs, while the rest come in from one place, go out to another. So cool how the ballet works at this point. Currently, two flights on ABX (762), one on SCX (738), 9 on ATI, one 762 and 8 763s.

MajMattMason

Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:08 pm

Interesting survey offered by Atlas Teamsters to their pilot group asking the question:

“For 737 and 767 pilots-
If your fleet were to be eliminated, would you:
. Bid 747
• Bid 777
• Apply to another airline”

USAirKid

Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:02 pm

MajMattMason wrote:
Interesting survey offered by Atlas Teamsters to their pilot group asking the question:

“For 737 and 767 pilots-
If your fleet were to be eliminated, would you:
. Bid 747
• Bid 777
• Apply to another airline”

Interesting. The 737s are all Amazon work. (There appears to be one that’s leased out.)

The 767s on the other hand do a lot of work, including non-Amazon and passenger flights.

So this is more than just breaking up with Amazon, if that’s what is being considered.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos