Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IceCream

Re: Air Canada News And Discussion Thread - 2022

Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:16 pm

Agreed, but I feel like MNL just has a much larger draw from the Canadian diaspora. MNL would be a safer bet for AC compared to SIN (IMO).

Thenoflyzone

Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:26 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
I definitely wouldn't classify SIN as 'leisure' unless you're well-off! Maybe BKK? TG is Star after all which could be advantageous for future codeshares...

behramjee wrote:
I second the higher likely hood of a winter seasonal YVR-BKK nonstop service using a B789 operated 3 times per week with convenient connections to US west coast in particular + TG code shares via BKK to ASEAN/ISC region.

I don't know about BKK. It's trash yields, for a similar flight length compared to SIN. Also, the non stop to BKK will need to take a detour around Russian airspace. A non stop to SIN doesn't face that problem. My money is still on SIN. MNL makes sense as well. Much shorter than either SIN or BKK, so costs will be much lower.

SIN is a star hub, and very much caters to leisure travelers as well, especially those connecting onwards to other SE Asian and Australian destinations. So in that regard, it makes sense as well.

It's the very reason why SQ launched YVR during a pandemic, when there were limited non stop options to the region. AC might want to capitalize on that as well.
Last edited by Thenoflyzone on Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thenoflyzone

Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:42 pm

^ well, if that's the case, the good news is they'd be the only carrier flying non stop from North America to BKK. YVR would be the best hub to leverage that 1 stop market.

The bad news is, no other carrier is flying non stop from North America to BKK. You'd think there is a valid reason for that.

This being said, AC has been pretty good with their long haul route launches in the last couple of years. Most of what they launched has stuck, with a few exceptions.

lostsound

Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:27 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
^ well, if that's the case, the good news is they'd be the only carrier flying non stop from North America to BKK. YVR would be the best hub to leverage that 1 stop market.

The bad news is, no other carrier is flying non stop from North America to BKK. You'd think there is a valid reason for that.

This being said, AC has been pretty good with their long haul route launches in the last couple of years. Most of what they launched has stuck, with a few exceptions.

Well I believe Thai Airways is going through restructuring right now and is in no position to relaunch NA flights so I suppose it would be up to NA carriers. AC probably has the best chance with YVR to make the route work but I suppose United out of SFO could also make sense, and to a lesser extent maybe one of the US3 out of LAX (DL?). When was the last time BKK saw NA service?

IceCream

Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:40 pm

BKK would be a very nice addition! Still hoping for MNL someday.

crosscheckyyz

Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:08 pm

I hope that a Canada-MNL flight would work. Although there is an interline with PR for connecting at MNL, and connecting there is *fun* to say the least.

Both BKK and SIN provide a *A partner to cooperate with at their respective bases. I'm still leaning towards a SIN launch. We also see UA and SQ growing their partnership over the past few years and AC seems to want to jump on that as well. But only time will tell.

FabienA380

Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:24 pm

Leisure, it is?...... Some come to mind like Bali, Pattaya, Cebu, Jeju Island,...... not necessarily a top hub, is it?

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:41 pm

FabienA380 wrote:
Leisure, it is?...... Some come to mind like Bali, Pattaya, Cebu, Jeju Island,...... not necessarily a top hub, is it?

There are still a few primary destinations that AC doesn't serve in Asia Pac. I doubt it's going to be one of those secondary destinations in your list.

krisyyz

Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:28 pm

I just saw a AC 77W with the roundel painted on the outside of the engine, not on the inner side of the engine. Is this a painting error, or a new modification of the cs?

KrisYYZ

Fuling

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:17 pm

krisyyz wrote:
I just saw a AC 77W with the roundel painted on the outside of the engine, not on the inner side of the engine. Is this a painting error, or a new modification of the cs?

KrisYYZ

Aircraft parts get moved around all the time. It would just be a spare part that was painted in the alternate cs.

lostsound

Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:28 pm

krisyyz wrote:

KrisYYZ

Here's a snap from the site.

FabienA380

Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:44 pm

Airlinerdude wrote:
Acey wrote:
Tons of RJ9 flying out of YYC this summer, surely the most ever. YLW, YYJ, YXE and YQR are all 3x RJ replacing Q, and YWG is also 3x RJ (downguage from originally planned 2x 220 + 1x RJ9)

Where are the Q's going? YYZ to replace the parked 300s?

Interestingly AC has 3 daily 320s scheduled on YYC-YYJ this summer, I suppose to offer a competitive product to WS' 4 daily 737s.

Now all YYC-YYJ regiven back to Jazz (CR9) Jul/Aug.

Also looks like the Yow-Yqb's been postponed again, not on schedule anymore all Summer.

leftcoast8

Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:01 pm

Regarding a possible YVR-BKK or YVR-MNL nonstop:

Before the pandemic, Chinese carriers had very cheap 1-stop fares from Vancouver to any SE Asian city you can think of. CA, MU, CZ, MF, CX, HX, the list goes on. This is thanks to the large overseas Chinese community in Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, etc. On top of this, you had BR/CI via Taiwan, KE via Seoul, lots of connections out of Narita. NH805/807 and TG677 (the evening A380 service) were timed perfectly for connecting pax from AC3, same with JL17 and JL707.

Now, with the COVID lockdowns in China, the extradition bill protests scaring away traffic from HK, foreigners banned from Japan (plus TPAC traffic switching to Haneda) and fuel prices due to the war in Ukraine, who knows what's going to happen. But I would expect a nonstop flight to Thailand out of LAX before YVR is considered, since L.A. is closer to Bangkok and has a much, much bigger Thai community than anywhere in Canada (so much so that LA is nicknamed Thailand's 77th province).

My understanding is, PAL is able to make their ULH routes to YVR, ORD, JFK etc. work because of the large Filipino diaspora in the U.S. and Canada, plus the large number of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFW). Here in Vancouver, many Filipinos are registered nurses or work in hotels, on cruise ships, at YVR, etc.

Which makes me wonder why Thai, Malaysian and Indonesian diasporas aren't as big, but that's a separate discussion. Anyway, I don't think TG will return to North America due to junta interference and its financial death spiral, the most likely carrier will be stateside.

Thenoflyzone

Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:34 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
But I would expect a nonstop flight to Thailand out of LAX before YVR is considered, since L.A. is closer to Bangkok and has a much, much bigger Thai community than anywhere in Canada (so much so that LA is nicknamed Thailand's 77th province).

I would have shared that logic not too long ago, but several examples disprove that notion.

YYC-DEL O&D is far larger than YUL-DEL, and yet AC launched the latter, and the route seems to be doing very well.
VN launched SFO instead of LAX, even when the latter was the largest market from Vietnam to North America, by far.

So anything is possible. O&D is important, but there are other factors that come into play as well.

CrewBunk

Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:53 pm

Thenoflyzone wrote:
YYC-DEL O&D is far larger than YUL-DEL, and yet AC launched the latter, and the route seems to be doing very well.

So anything is possible. O&D is important, but there are other factors that come into play as well.

That is a excellent example. Looking at AC’s flight YUL-DEL tomorrow, it’s almost full. On it there are passengers connecting from 27 US cities on 31 flights, connections from 13 Canadian cities and one international connecting flight.

For the record LAX-BKK is about 900 miles further than YVR-BKK. AC can provide an easier connection through YVR than airlines can through LAX. No baggage transfer, inside security the whole time, no Customs/Immigration procedures other than a passport scan at a kiosk. 60 minutes is more than enough time. (Try that at LAX).

It’s a shame YYC airport cancelled these seamless connections. It would have given Westjet the same edge should they decide to expand internationally. So … I’m not surprised for DEL flights, YUL was given the nod over YYC.

Acey

Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:53 am

CrewBunk wrote:
It’s a shame YYC airport cancelled these seamless connections. It would have given Westjet the same edge should they decide to expand internationally. So … I’m not surprised for DEL flights, YUL was given the nod over YYC.

Operationally, WestJet YYC ground crew is in a state such that they would not be able to run their current schedule without domestic departures being permitted from gates that were previously international only or international/US only.

9252fly

Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:11 pm

Acey wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Operationally, WestJet YYC ground crew is in a state such that they would not be able to run their current schedule without domestic departures being permitted from gates that were previously international only or international/US only.

I do wonder if WS ground crew issues partly stem from all the contracting out that occurred a couple of years ago? It would not surprise me if their contractor has a lot of turnover, like most contractors.

CrewBunk

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:07 pm

9252fly wrote:
Acey wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

I do wonder if WS ground crew issues partly stem from all the contracting out that occurred a couple of years ago? It would not surprise me if their contractor has a lot of turnover, like most contractors.

Maybe I misread what was being said on here, in another thread about YYC. The impression I was getting was that during Covid, YYC airport itself changed the airport layout so that sterile transfers could no longer be performed. Was that not the case?

krisyyz

Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:18 pm

lostsound wrote:
krisyyz wrote:

KrisYYZ

Here's a snap from the site.

Thank you!

KrisYYZ

casperCA

Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:49 pm

CrewBunk wrote:
9252fly wrote:
Acey wrote:

Maybe I misread what was being said on here, in another thread about YYC. The impression I was getting was that during Covid, YYC airport itself changed the airport layout so that sterile transfers could no longer be performed. Was that not the case?

Passed through YYC about two weeks ago. Arrived from Vancouver into the international term area and left for Ottawa out of the A gates. They are definitely not segregated. The way finding is poor.

The layout of that airport was just weird before covid. It is more so now. The whole thing needs a rethink.

Acey

Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:14 am

casperCA wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:
9252fly wrote:

Passed through YYC about two weeks ago. Arrived from Vancouver into the international term area and left for Ottawa out of the A gates. They are definitely not segregated. The way finding is poor.

The layout of that airport was just weird before covid. It is more so now. The whole thing needs a rethink.

Yeah. So the international boarding lounge was never designed to have incoming passengers, so it's a disaster. No signage whatsoever.

Aside from Pearson's horrendous customs issues these days, YYC is by far the worst major airport in the country on every level.

casperCA

Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:54 am

Acey wrote:
casperCA wrote:
CrewBunk wrote:

Yeah. So the international boarding lounge was never designed to have incoming passengers, so it's a disaster. No signage whatsoever.

Aside from Pearson's horrendous customs issues these days, YYC is by far the worst major airport in the country on every level.

What I found weird is to get to the A/B/C it looks like actually have to go through a boarding gate down a corridor where your second guessing if your in the right place despite an airport rep telling you this is where you should go.

tax1k

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:07 pm

Anyone know what happened to the PHX/YYC service?

hollywoodcory

Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:58 pm

tax1k wrote:
Anyone know what happened to the PHX/YYC service?

Was cancelled for Summer. Resumes in October I think.

laca773

Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:44 am

MNL would be the obvious choice in the YYZ/YVR-South East Asia, the pacific islands. It would be a good market for AC since there’s no nonstop service to MNL on another Star Alliance carrier. A nonstop to Vietnam would also be well linked with WJ & VN being in Sky Team. It all comes down to cost & if they San command a premium for nonstop service and or on a LCC Hybrid like WJ.

laca773

Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:46 am

Is there any talk of AC resuming (or starting) service in YYZ-SJC with the A220-3? Not sure it ever started just prior to COVID-19 shutting everything down.

nname

Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:37 am

laca773 wrote:
Is there any talk of AC resuming (or starting) service in YYZ-SJC with the A220-3? Not sure it ever started just prior to COVID-19 shutting everything down.

AC probably need to resume YVR-SJC first... Currently not resuming before March 2023.

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:25 am

I notice AC has sent a 77W to LYS (AC876) on June 18th, following the cancellation of the previous two days flights that are usually operated with an A333.

346fetish

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:36 pm

New AC YVR-BKK 4x 789 01DEC22-17APR23 winter seasonal!
YYZ-BOM is daily YYZ-LHR-BOM 789 for winter season. LHR-BOM sold as 5th freedom.

https://investors.aircanada.com/2022-06 ... er-2022-23

tobsw

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Just yesterday was reading with great interest the BKK/SIN/MNL discussion in this thread.

And then today this. Cool. Very cool.

YYZYYT

Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:59 pm

Hi, have a question about TATL ops. There are numerous discussions involving issues that European airports are having with understaffing and delays; at AMS those problems are being caused by understaffing at security, and there is no solution in sight - so the airport operator has announced that it will work with airlines to limit flights to cut passenger traffic volumes, and if necessary dictate the cuts.

This is bad news of course for an airline looking forward ta a good summer 2022 as it recovers from the last 2 years.

Does anyone know where AC stands with it's daily flight to AMS, what it plans to do / what contingencies it is working on?

And more generally, what AC's plans are for the affected airports?

killswitch13

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:23 pm

Air Canada to Launch Seasonal Flights to Bangkok and Mumbai for Winter 2022-23
https://twitter.com/AirCanada/status/15 ... 62bbuikEgQ

Fuling

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:24 pm

346fetish wrote:
YYZ-BOM is daily YYZ-LHR-BOM 789 for winter season. LHR-BOM sold as 5th freedom.

BKK is a nice addition, but LHR-BOM was definitely not on my Bingo card! That'll be a nice change from the usual players. Congrats to AC!

crosscheckyyz

Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Absolutely surprised by the LHR-BOM indeed! But if they have the slots, why not? I guess they will have the slots and the rights. And BKK! Wow....never expected that. Hopefully it goes well.

Fuling wrote:
346fetish wrote:

BKK is a nice addition, but LHR-BOM was definitely not on my Bingo card! That'll be a nice change from the usual players. Congrats to AC!

airboss787

Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:36 pm

346fetish wrote:

WOW. This is very interesting and quite interesting from AC's perspective. I think it shows India and BOM are important markets for them. Plus making the most of 5th Freedom traffic. Wonder this will push UA also to resume BOM via somewhere in Europe.

AWNP

Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:02 pm

346fetish wrote:

Exciting route, must be very bearish on fuel prices, and with historic yields this is a big gamble!

fly2yyz

Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:42 pm

Well if the yields are there AC could add a 77W to the route if needs be. This is a route that is covered under the A++ JV with UA no?

Speedalive

Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:53 pm

fly2yyz wrote:
Well if the yields are there AC could add a 77W to the route if needs be. This is a route that is covered under the A++ JV with UA no?

Yes. It very much depends on A++ cooperation.

fraT

Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:17 pm

fly2yyz wrote:

Tickets which will sell exclusively on the LHR-BOM portion and vv. will not be within the A++ JV. If passengers are connecting to/from AC/UA transatlantic flights, then it's within the JV.

CrewBunk

Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:19 am

This brings about an interesting concept about ultra long haul flying;

A stop in the middle is often cheaper to operate than nonstop! YYZ-LHR-BOM is only just over 200 miles longer than YYZ-BOM. As fuel is now only carried in “halves”, it’s not surprising that total burn is less. I’ve always been curious about this. As I have a couple YYZ-BOM flight plans kicking around, I’ll compare it when the stop in LHR starts. (This assumes great circle distances, which never happens to South Asia, but I’m still curious).

Also, the flights can be carried with less pilot hours and less flight attendant hours in total as crew rest is less (or not) an issue on these shorter legs.

Of course, some costs are more expensive. An added crew layover, doubled cycles on the airframe, Heathrow landing and handling fees, etc.

Still ….. it reminds me of 1985, when AC858 operated by an L1011-500 left YYZ bound for LHR, BOM and SIN.

matt

Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:54 pm

YYZYYT wrote:
Hi, have a question about TATL ops. There are numerous discussions involving issues that European airports are having with understaffing and delays; at AMS those problems are being caused by understaffing at security, and there is no solution in sight - so the airport operator has announced that it will work with airlines to limit flights to cut passenger traffic volumes, and if necessary dictate the cuts.

This is bad news of course for an airline looking forward ta a good summer 2022 as it recovers from the last 2 years.

Does anyone know where AC stands with it's daily flight to AMS, what it plans to do / what contingencies it is working on?

And more generally, what AC's plans are for the affected airports?

I am not sure exactly what AC’s plans are, but the situation is pretty dire. Last week, I flew from YQM to CDG via YYZ. All my flights were at least 2 hours late. I am actually luck that none was cancelled, because I know that from New Brunswick (and other provinces), many flights were outright cancelled. Some international flights were also cancelled. In YYZ, as I connected, it was seamless (no long lines), but in CDG it took over one hour just for passport control on the day I left. It seems AC transatlantic flights have been severly late for the last two weeks. They tell us there are not enough workers (airport, airline, border control). I really do hope it improves over the summer. I am leaving for BRU in a few weeks. I recommend leaving MANY hours between flights if you need to connect. I actually just called AC to have my flights changed (at no cost) to have more connecting time. The agent said, « No problem. All of our flights are delayed. Better safe than sorry. »

I feel bad for the employees who are there. It is not their fault, but many passengers are taking out their frustrations on them…

Keeping fingers crossed…

matt

Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:37 pm

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
I notice AC has sent a 77W to LYS (AC876) on June 18th, following the cancellation of the previous two days flights that are usually operated with an A333.

Yes, I saw that. As I mentioned in my last post, transaltantic operations are severly disrupted. Yesterday (June 21), I believe every transatlantic flight was delayed by several hours… It’s hard for AC to catch up, as outbound delays have a domino effect on the inbound… and then the outbound the next day.

tax1k

Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:44 pm

I’m supposed to fly YYZ/BWI morning of June 24. I see this flight was cancelled last two days. How confident should I be that it will fly Friday morning. As an aside I’m curious how AC can cancel flights because of “weather” between two major airports that have ongoing operations all day but that is a separate topic.

runway23

Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:30 am

Total meltdown ex-YUL today, from 2PM until close AC managed to get two flights out on time. Marginally better performance at YYZ.

It's going to be a very long summer.

chrisa330

Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:35 pm

runway23 wrote:
Total meltdown ex-YUL today, from 2PM until close AC managed to get two flights out on time. Marginally better performance at YYZ.

It's going to be a very long summer.

Sounds like YYZ everyday these days, I'm surprised to hear YYZ was better. It's already a clusterf..., and it's not even peak travel time yet.

skiier97

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:24 am

Anyone notice that AC has taken a TON of flights off their website for sale? My YYZ-DCA flights in mid July suddenly do not appear for sale anymore but my booking still shows up with no changes. In fact, as of July 1 there are no more direct flights form YYZ to and DC airport...

People on other forums have discovered that it appears that AC's website is either messed up or as of July 1 AC will be making service cutbacks.

jasoncrh

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:32 pm

I've noticed that too. I'm booked to fly YYZ-DCA on July 5th on their 4:40PM flight. Nothing indicating anything wrong in my specific booking, but your're right - you cant book a ticket.

People have been complaining about airlines' bad operations in the U.S., but from what I'm seeing nothing holds a candle to the disaster that is going on with Air Canada in Canada....

quote="skiier97"]Anyone notice that AC has taken a TON of flights off their website for sale? My YYZ-DCA flights in mid July suddenly do not appear for sale anymore but my booking still shows up with no changes. In fact, as of July 1 there are no more direct flights form YYZ to and DC airport...

People on other forums have discovered that it appears that AC's website is either messed up or as of July 1 AC will be making service cutbacks.[/quote]

crosscheckyyz

Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:31 am

Regarding DCA, just looked up on the app. DCA is still there as is IAD and BWI. Probably just a glitch.

tax1k

Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:53 pm

Not sure where else to pst this. I was flying YYZ/EWR and in the Nexus security lane the officer opened my bag, took all the toiletries out of the plastic toiletries bag that came with the rollaboard, and put them into a ziploc bag. So basically out of one plastic bag and into another. I can’t figure out what the point was.

yzfElite

Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:15 pm

tax1k wrote:
Not sure where else to pst this. I was flying YYZ/EWR and in the Nexus security lane the officer opened my bag, took all the toiletries out of the plastic toiletries bag that came with the rollaboard, and put them into a ziploc bag. So basically out of one plastic bag and into another. I can’t figure out what the point was.

It's quite common for screeners to require you to transfer your liquids into an official bag. I've been using ziplock and every once in a while you come across someone who makes you transfer them. Has been very random for me.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos